Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What would be the "Ultimate" Steak & Eggs?

At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg dish.
I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate steak &
eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the ultimate steak &
eggs have?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 10, 1:21*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg dish..
> I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate steak &
> eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the ultimate steak &
> eggs have?
>
> Bob

The best I've ever had was a Benedict made with a filet mignon, cooked
perfectly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg dish.
> I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate steak &
> eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the ultimate steak &
> eggs have?
>
> Bob

Tournedos Rossini with Foie Gras: I'd leave out the eggs, or have eggs on
the side. Or, use the yolks for sauce Bernaise. Have that on the side with
the Madeira sauce with the steak. From Wikipedia: "Tournedos Rossini is a
French steak dish, purportedly created for the composer Gioachino Rossini by
Auguste Escoffier, although the identity of the creator of the dish remains
a matter of dispute. The dish comprises a tournedos (filet mignon) of beef,
pan-fried in butter, served on a crouton, and topped with a slice of whole
foie gras. The dish is garnished with slices of black truffle, and finished
with a Madeira demi-glace sauce.

I've attempted this, though not for years. We brought goose liver back from
France, squandered on truffles here, and made our own demi-glace.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:59:23 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
> > At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg dish.
> > I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate steak &
> > eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the ultimate steak &
> > eggs have?
> >
> > Bob

> Tournedos Rossini with Foie Gras: I'd leave out the eggs, or have eggs on
> the side. Or, use the yolks for sauce Bernaise. Have that on the side with
> the Madeira sauce with the steak. From Wikipedia: "Tournedos Rossini is a
> French steak dish, purportedly created for the composer Gioachino Rossini by
> Auguste Escoffier, although the identity of the creator of the dish remains
> a matter of dispute. The dish comprises a tournedos (filet mignon) of beef,
> pan-fried in butter, served on a crouton, and topped with a slice of whole
> foie gras. The dish is garnished with slices of black truffle, and finished
> with a Madeira demi-glace sauce.
>
> I've attempted this, though not for years. We brought goose liver back from
> France, squandered on truffles here, and made our own demi-glace.

I don't think I'd make that for breakfast.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

my dh eating it instead of me, Lee
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg dish.
> I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate steak &
> eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the ultimate steak &
> eggs have?
>
> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message

> At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak
> & egg dish. I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think
> the ultimate steak & eggs would definitely have truffles. What
> else should the ultimate steak & eggs have?

White Italian truffles would be ideal, as you state.

I go with the idea of harissa on eggs. I'm presently in London
which afforded us the opportunity to buy unpasteurized, lower-salt,
fresh rose harissa rather than the jarred product, which is
already wonderful, but the fresh stuff is that much better.
I could visualize a poached egg on toast dish but with thinly
sliced rib steak beneath the egg.

We didn't have steak with our poached eggs with harissa this morning,
but we did have some slices of Extremadura ham next to them
on the plate. That stuff is also really good. (L17 / 100 g, not
too bad, given the flavor concentration.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

>> At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg
>> dish. I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate
>> steak & eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the
>> ultimate steak & eggs have?
>>

> Tournedos Rossini with Foie Gras: I'd leave out the eggs, or have eggs on
> the side. Or, use the yolks for sauce Bernaise. Have that on the side
> with the Madeira sauce with the steak.

Marginalizing or omitting the eggs rather disqualifies the dish from being
the ultimate steak & egg dish. I'm sure you'll agree.

I'm still mulling over my concept of the "ultimate" steak & egg dish.
Besides truffles, I think potatoes would have to be in there somewhere. Some
kind of sauce which enhances all the other components; maybe just a compound
butter with thyme and shallots.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>> What else should the ultimate steak & eggs have?

>A slice of smoked and seared wagyu prime rib with golden ossetra
>caviar.
>
>The steak should be USDA Prime+, but not that obnoxiously fatty Kobe
>stuff.
>
>Oh, and some good, skin-on french fries.

And then yoose woke up and settled for tube steak and pickled eggs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 17:02:21 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Kent wrote:
>
> >> At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg
> >> dish. I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate
> >> steak & eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the
> >> ultimate steak & eggs have?
> >>

> > Tournedos Rossini with Foie Gras: I'd leave out the eggs, or have eggs on
> > the side. Or, use the yolks for sauce Bernaise. Have that on the side
> > with the Madeira sauce with the steak.

> Marginalizing or omitting the eggs rather disqualifies the dish from being
> the ultimate steak & egg dish. I'm sure you'll agree.
>
> I'm still mulling over my concept of the "ultimate" steak & egg dish.
> Besides truffles, I think potatoes would have to be in there somewhere. Some
> kind of sauce which enhances all the other components; maybe just a compound
> butter with thyme and shallots.

Everything you're thinking of sounds wonderful, but I wouldn't want it
for breakfast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> I'm still mulling over my concept of the "ultimate" steak & egg dish.
>> Besides truffles, I think potatoes would have to be in there somewhere.
>> Some
>> kind of sauce which enhances all the other components; maybe just a
>> compound
>> butter with thyme and shallots.
>>

> Everything you're thinking of sounds wonderful, but I wouldn't want it
> for breakfast.

Good point; it needs to be lightened up.

The potatoes I had in mind were something like this:

Peel yellow potatoes and cut into slices about three-eighths of an inch
thick. Brown them in oil, then simmer in stock until tender.

I'm not thinking of a BIG steak, probably only about four ounces or so cut
from a larger cooked steak. The egg should not be lost in the steak. The
truffles would be shaved over the top. Can you think of a sauce which would
complement all that while still being fairly light?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 22:38:15 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> I'm still mulling over my concept of the "ultimate" steak & egg dish.
> >> Besides truffles, I think potatoes would have to be in there somewhere.
> >> Some
> >> kind of sauce which enhances all the other components; maybe just a
> >> compound
> >> butter with thyme and shallots.
> >>

> > Everything you're thinking of sounds wonderful, but I wouldn't want it
> > for breakfast.

> Good point; it needs to be lightened up.
>
> The potatoes I had in mind were something like this:
>
> Peel yellow potatoes and cut into slices about three-eighths of an inch
> thick. Brown them in oil, then simmer in stock until tender.

Potatoes so thin don't need to be cooked twice, but simmer first and
brown after would be my preference.

SIL harvested his first Yukon Golds last week and he says they were
sublime cooked fresh from the ground.

> I'm not thinking of a BIG steak, probably only about four ounces or so cut
> from a larger cooked steak. The egg should not be lost in the steak. The
> truffles would be shaved over the top. Can you think of a sauce which would
> complement all that while still being fairly light?

My favorite sauce with steak is bernaise, which I suppose could be
made light and ephemeral.... but I'd save it for brunch - a late one.
I think compound butter (and not a lot) would be better for breakfast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> SIL harvested his first Yukon Golds last week and he says they were
> sublime cooked fresh from the ground.

Nothing like garden fresh, and garden fresh potatoes are even more tasty
than the routine goodness of other garden fresh produce. One of the few
things i think a pressure cooker is good for, fresh new potatoes,
quickly cooked with a dash of salt.

>>I'm not thinking of a BIG steak, probably only about four ounces or so cut
>>from a larger cooked steak. The egg should not be lost in the steak. The
>>truffles would be shaved over the top. Can you think of a sauce which would
>>complement all that while still being fairly light?
>>

> My favorite sauce with steak is bernaise, which I suppose could be
> made light and ephemeral.... but I'd save it for brunch - a late one.
> I think compound butter (and not a lot) would be better for breakfast.

I cant imagine cooking much less eating a steak for b'fast. But as you
state, for lunch or dinner i usually make a butter & wine pan sauce
from the resulting fond of the suated steak or steak pieces.

Until they recently closed a local butcher sold "English short ribs"
that i would occasionally season & dredge a couple of in flour and saute
till nicely browned, remove from the pan and put the short ribs aside
for later braising and proceed to make a pan sauce from the remaining
fond to serve with some other quickly prepared foods. Those English
short ribs make an remarkable fond for producing a very tasty sauce from.

And speaking of compound butters, there is also an anchovy butter i have
made a few times from a Lidia Bastianich recipe for a large grilled
steak that i think is very good, i just don't keep enough anchovies
around to think of making it in any spontaneous way.

I tried looking it up on her site but couldn't find what i remember from
the show, butter, mashed anchovies, a soupcon of well mashed garlic,
salt, pepper, capers & a touch of various vinegar's or lemon juice if
desired, a few drops of a good balsamic is very nice.

Lydia adds a bit of the ubiquitous parsley iirc but i hardly ever
remember to purchase it.

All well mixed with room temp butter, no heating of any of the
ingredients, so use discrete amounts especially of the raw garlic, and
chill in the fridge till ready to use, serve the steak right off the
grill with a tbs. of the butter.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:22:35 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > SIL harvested his first Yukon Golds last week and he says they were
> > sublime cooked fresh from the ground.

> Nothing like garden fresh, and garden fresh potatoes are even more tasty
> than the routine goodness of other garden fresh produce. One of the few
> things i think a pressure cooker is good for, fresh new potatoes,
> quickly cooked with a dash of salt.
> >
> >>I'm not thinking of a BIG steak, probably only about four ounces or so cut
> >>from a larger cooked steak. The egg should not be lost in the steak. The
> >>truffles would be shaved over the top. Can you think of a sauce which would
> >>complement all that while still being fairly light?
> >>

> > My favorite sauce with steak is bernaise, which I suppose could be
> > made light and ephemeral.... but I'd save it for brunch - a late one.
> > I think compound butter (and not a lot) would be better for breakfast.

> I cant imagine cooking much less eating a steak for b'fast. But as you
> state, for lunch or dinner i usually make a butter & wine pan sauce
> from the resulting fond of the suated steak or steak pieces.

We sometimes have steak and eggs (+ hash browns) for breakfast, but
the steak is leftover from the night before. I just wouldn't think of
doing it for my own breakfast under any other circumstances.

> Until they recently closed a local butcher sold "English short ribs"
> that i would occasionally season & dredge a couple of in flour and saute
> till nicely browned, remove from the pan and put the short ribs aside
> for later braising and proceed to make a pan sauce from the remaining
> fond to serve with some other quickly prepared foods. Those English
> short ribs make an remarkable fond for producing a very tasty sauce from.

Oh, man... you *would* tempt me like that! Short ribs are my
husband's favorite midrange restaurant meal.

> And speaking of compound butters, there is also an anchovy butter i have
> made a few times from a Lidia Bastianich recipe for a large grilled
> steak that i think is very good, i just don't keep enough anchovies
> around to think of making it in any spontaneous way.
>
> I tried looking it up on her site but couldn't find what i remember from
> the show, butter, mashed anchovies, a soupcon of well mashed garlic,
> salt, pepper, capers & a touch of various vinegar's or lemon juice if
> desired, a few drops of a good balsamic is very nice.
>
> Lydia adds a bit of the ubiquitous parsley iirc but i hardly ever
> remember to purchase it.
>
> All well mixed with room temp butter, no heating of any of the
> ingredients, so use discrete amounts especially of the raw garlic, and
> chill in the fridge till ready to use, serve the steak right off the
> grill with a tbs. of the butter.

Why don't you make a big batch of it (use the whole tin of anchovies,
use more parsley at once) and freeze in smaller portions or a log?

OH! I googled Lidia. This truffle and anchovy compound butter may be
just what the Dr. ordered for Bob's breakfast!
http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/414

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Why don't you make a big batch of it (use the whole tin of anchovies,
> use more parsley at once) and freeze in smaller portions or a log?

Same reason i don't keep blue cheese in quantity, i would eat it

> OH! I googled Lidia. This truffle and anchovy compound butter may be
> just what the Dr. ordered for Bob's breakfast!
> http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/414

Undoubtedly, but last time i checked Italian white truffles were about
$200.00 per ounce, when available and that was several years ago, god
knows what black truffles cost, and its not the type of thing i would
purchase sight unseen over the net.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 11:08:43 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
>

> > Why don't you make a big batch of it (use the whole tin of anchovies,
> > use more parsley at once) and freeze in smaller portions or a log?

> Same reason i don't keep blue cheese in quantity, i would eat it
> >
> > OH! I googled Lidia. This truffle and anchovy compound butter may be
> > just what the Dr. ordered for Bob's breakfast!
> > http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/414

> Undoubtedly, but last time i checked Italian white truffles were about
> $200.00 per ounce, when available and that was several years ago, god
> knows what black truffles cost, and its not the type of thing i would
> purchase sight unseen over the net.

I have no idea which truffle Bob was planning to use, but AFAIC any
will work for a compound butter. I'd like black, myself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:59:23 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...
>> > At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg
>> > dish.
>> > I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate steak
>> > &
>> > eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the ultimate
>> > steak &
>> > eggs have?
>> >
>> > Bob

>> Tournedos Rossini with Foie Gras: I'd leave out the eggs, or have eggs on
>> the side. Or, use the yolks for sauce Bernaise. Have that on the side
>> with
>> the Madeira sauce with the steak. From Wikipedia: "Tournedos Rossini is
>> French steak dish, purportedly created for the composer Gioachino Rossini
>> by
>> Auguste Escoffier, although the identity of the creator of the dish
>> remains
>> a matter of dispute. The dish comprises a tournedos (filet mignon) of
>> beef,
>> pan-fried in butter, served on a crouton, and topped with a slice of
>> whole
>> foie gras. The dish is garnished with slices of black truffle, and
>> finished
>> with a Madeira demi-glace sauce.
>>
>> I've attempted this, though not for years. We brought goose liver back
>> from
>> France, squandered on truffles here, and made our own demi-glace.
>>

> I don't think I'd make that for breakfast.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Steak & Eggs isn't just for breakfast No truffles, no fru-fru stuff.
Just get a good cut of steak (bacon wrapped prime filet would be good, or
maybe a ribeye) and have it with eggs prepared whatever way you'd like. It
doesn't have to be fancy, just tasty. Sometimes simplest is the best way to
cook.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 4:21 pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg dish.
> I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate steak &
> eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the ultimate steak &
> eggs have?

I'd go with truffles and eggs without steak, but then that wouldn't be
steak and eggs, would it? :-)

An interesting "steak and egg" brunch dish I had recently was some
excellent steak tartare mounded on a layer of fluffy scrambled eggs
which in turn was layered on a bed of roughly chopped parsley on top
of quartered buttered toasted English muffins. Dunno if that's
"ultimate" enough for you, but it was pretty darned good!

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar wrote:

> An interesting "steak and egg" brunch dish I had recently was some
> excellent steak tartare mounded on a layer of fluffy scrambled eggs
> which in turn was layered on a bed of roughly chopped parsley on top
> of quartered buttered toasted English muffins. Dunno if that's
> "ultimate" enough for you, but it was pretty darned good!

I'd thought about tartare when I was considering steak & egg options, but I
love the flavor of seared steak too much for that to be sacrificed. :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> Steak & Eggs isn't just for breakfast No truffles, no fru-fru stuff.
> Just get a good cut of steak (bacon wrapped prime filet would be good, or
> maybe a ribeye) and have it with eggs prepared whatever way you'd like.
> It doesn't have to be fancy, just tasty. Sometimes simplest is the best
> way to cook.

But that's not the ULTIMATE steak & eggs, is it? You completely missed the
point of the thread. Go back and read the subject line, then THINK before
you post.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 17:51:23 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Jill wrote:
>
> > Steak & Eggs isn't just for breakfast No truffles, no fru-fru stuff.
> > Just get a good cut of steak (bacon wrapped prime filet would be good, or
> > maybe a ribeye) and have it with eggs prepared whatever way you'd like.
> > It doesn't have to be fancy, just tasty. Sometimes simplest is the best
> > way to cook.

> But that's not the ULTIMATE steak & eggs, is it? You completely missed the
> point of the thread. Go back and read the subject line, then THINK before
> you post.

I think she posted what she thought would taste good, no harm in
that... but it didn't address what you were thinking about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 17:51:05 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> I love the flavor of seared steak too much for that to be sacrificed. :-)

I have to AGREE.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 8:51 pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:

> I'd thought about tartare when I was considering steak & egg options, but I
> love the flavor of seared steak too much for that to be sacrificed. :-)

OK then, you probably won't like this idea either, but it appeals to
me!

Beef Wellington, with the crust slit open after baking and scrambled
eggs (perhaps with some herbs of choice) dumped in/on. I think it
would taste great with the filet and paté. Fruit and scallions to
garnish.

Backing up, what was the "ultimate" steak and eggs dish that Lin had?

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar wrote:

> Beef Wellington, with the crust slit open after baking and scrambled eggs
> (perhaps with some herbs of choice) dumped in/on. I think it would taste
> great with the filet and paté. Fruit and scallions to garnish.

Boy, that *does* sound good. Maybe just a slice of the Beef Wellington with
eggs on top?

> Backing up, what was the "ultimate" steak and eggs dish that Lin had?

The base of the dish was a half-inch-thick bed of fried Yukon Gold potatos.
On that base were several thick strips of medium-rare grilled hanger steak,
probably six to eight ounces total weight. A basted/fried egg went on top of
the steak, and béarnaise sauce accented the whole thing.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg dish.
> I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate steak &
> eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the ultimate steak &
> eggs have?

Thinking about this I would want to go purist. As much as I like
chicken fried steak, quiche or any other egg dish for the ultimate I
think it would be in the details and the ingredients not in what's
added.

The best cut of beef dry aged like for a fancy steak restaurant, then
seared hot like they do in fancy steak restaurants. With a bit of
browned butter for the extra decadence.

A couple of eggs laid that day by chickens that foraged for bugs to make
the yolk more tasty, pan fried in very hot bacon fat so the edges are
crispy but the yolk still flows.

The egg served on top of the steak. Side dishes optional.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Jill wrote:
>
>> Steak & Eggs isn't just for breakfast No truffles, no fru-fru stuff.
>> Just get a good cut of steak (bacon wrapped prime filet would be good, or
>> maybe a ribeye) and have it with eggs prepared whatever way you'd like.
>> It doesn't have to be fancy, just tasty. Sometimes simplest is the best
>> way to cook.

> But that's not the ULTIMATE steak & eggs, is it? You completely missed the
> point of the thread. Go back and read the subject line, then THINK before
> you post.
>
> Bob

I think she's got it about right (except it should be a Porterhouse
steak, IMHO.) You can always pile more expensive crap on the plate
and make it ultimater.

-Bob (no relation)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Jill wrote:
>>
>>> Steak & Eggs isn't just for breakfast No truffles, no fru-fru stuff.
>>> Just get a good cut of steak (bacon wrapped prime filet would be good,
>>> or maybe a ribeye) and have it with eggs prepared whatever way you'd
>>> like. It doesn't have to be fancy, just tasty. Sometimes simplest is
>>> the best way to cook.

>> But that's not the ULTIMATE steak & eggs, is it? You completely missed
>> the point of the thread. Go back and read the subject line, then THINK
>> before you post.

> I think she's got it about right (except it should be a Porterhouse steak,
> IMHO.) You can always pile more expensive crap on the plate and make it
> ultimater.

That sounds like pedestrian steak & eggs to me. If there's nothing special
about it, I don't see how it can be "ultimate."

Bob