Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Watch This!

( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I opened a
can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter generously
splattered. If you want an entertaining trick, I highly recommend it. There
was nothing suspicious about the can's appearance but I'm thinking the next
time I do that I'll put on my safety goggles. You have been warned. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 3:15*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> ( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) * I opened a
> can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter generously
> splattered. *If you want an entertaining trick, I highly recommend it. There
> was nothing suspicious about the can's appearance but I'm thinking the next
> time I do that I'll put on my safety goggles. *You have been warned. *Polly

I guess they're going to have to keep canned saurkraut off of
commercial airline flights. The TSA needs some kind of saurkraut
detector. Maybe a pig that's been trained to sniff out the offending
cabbage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> ( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I opened
> a can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter
> generously splattered. If you want an entertaining trick, I highly
> recommend it. There was nothing suspicious about the can's appearance but
> I'm thinking the next time I do that I'll put on my safety goggles. You
> have been warned. Polly

Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan of
sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that required
it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems it also comes
in a bag in the cold produce section

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 16:46:20 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>> ( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I opened
>> a can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter
>> generously splattered. If you want an entertaining trick, I highly
>> recommend it. There was nothing suspicious about the can's appearance but
>> I'm thinking the next time I do that I'll put on my safety goggles. You
>> have been warned. Polly

>Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan of
>sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that required
>it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems it also comes
>in a bag in the cold produce section

We can go and get it from the vat in the Polish stores. I do
occasionally get the bags but the fresh stuff is way better.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 14:15:36 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I opened a
>can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter generously
>splattered. If you want an entertaining trick, I highly recommend it. There
>was nothing suspicious about the can's appearance but I'm thinking the next
>time I do that I'll put on my safety goggles. You have been warned. Polly

Oh how I sympathize with you. I had that happen to me years ago with a
can of tomato paste. It shot all over the place, even the ceiling,
I'll never forget that. Now I buy tomato paste in the tubes, safer
that way.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>> ( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I opened
>> a can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter
>> generously splattered. If you want an entertaining trick, I highly
>> recommend it. There was nothing suspicious about the can's appearance but
>> I'm thinking the next time I do that I'll put on my safety goggles. You
>> have been warned. Polly

>Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan of
>sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that required
>it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems it also comes
>in a bag in the cold produce section

I'm no fan of canned sauerkraut but I have to admit that the Del Monte
brand Bavarian style canned sauerkraut is excellent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>> ( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I
>> opened a can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and
>> counter generously splattered. If you want an entertaining trick, I
>> highly recommend it. There was nothing suspicious about the can's
>> appearance but I'm thinking the next time I do that I'll put on my
>> safety goggles. You have been warned. Polly

> Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan
> of sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that
> required it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems
> it also comes in a bag in the cold produce section
>
> Jill

So you really have no idea what you are talking about and decided to hit
"reply" just to be heard?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > ha scritto nel messaggio > "Polly Esther"
> wrote in message
>> ( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I opened
>> a can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter
>> generously splattered.

> Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan of
> sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that required
> it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems it also
> comes in a bag in the cold produce section

So it does in your store, but so it does not in my entire country. Even in
the USA saurkraut wasn't always available other than in cans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

also frozen and in glass, and depending on the recipe they are all about the
same, not much difference especially if you are using it in a dish such as
you describe, Lee
"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> "Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>> ( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I opened
>> a can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter
>> generously splattered. If you want an entertaining trick, I highly
>> recommend it. There was nothing suspicious about the can's appearance but
>> I'm thinking the next time I do that I'll put on my safety goggles. You
>> have been warned. Polly

> Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan of
> sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that required
> it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems it also
> comes in a bag in the cold produce section
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ok i will give you that, Lee
"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 16:46:20 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>>> ( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I
>>> opened
>>> a can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter
>>> generously splattered. If you want an entertaining trick, I highly
>>> recommend it. There was nothing suspicious about the can's appearance
>>> but
>>> I'm thinking the next time I do that I'll put on my safety goggles. You
>>> have been warned. Polly

>>Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan of
>>sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that required
>>it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems it also
>>comes
>>in a bag in the cold produce section

> We can go and get it from the vat in the Polish stores. I do
> occasionally get the bags but the fresh stuff is way better.
>
> Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i spent summers with a woman who was a friend of my mothers that lived the
next block over... her dh loved it and she canned it in gallon jars, i was
the cabbage stuffer for this process, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 16:46:20 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:

>> >Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan of
>> >sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that
>> >required
>> >it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems it also
>> >comes
>> >in a bag in the cold produce section

>> I'm no fan of canned sauerkraut but I have to admit that the Del Monte
>> brand Bavarian style canned sauerkraut is excellent.

> I like the bagged Boar's Head, but the best I ever had was mom's home
> made... I'm hoping the recipe is written down somewhere in her notes.
> I know I still have her 3 bladed cabbage slicer. Like a giant Mandolin
> with a box carrier.
>
> Still have the crock too! Glazed ceramic and holds about 5 gallons at a
> time. She taught me how to make a "water seal" for it to keep the
> nasties out of it while it fermented. Not sure it's as bad as Kimchee as
> I've never made that but it likely comes close! <g>
>
> But well worth it. She'd then can it in quart jars with Dry Muscat wine.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
> --Robert Heinlien

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/04/2011 2:37 AM, Omelet wrote:

>>> Oh how I sympathize with you. I had that happen to me years ago with a
>>> can of tomato paste. It shot all over the place, even the ceiling,
>>> I'll never forget that. Now I buy tomato paste in the tubes, safer
>>> that way.

>> Me too. I had a can of tomato paste that had been around for a few
>> years. I had a hand held can opener. I pushed the lever down to puncture
>> the top and there was an instant spray of red. It was on the ceiling,
>> four walls, two windows and the floor.

> Wouldn't most cans in that condition be "bulgy"???

One of the reasons for using the tube shape is that the sides are strong
and can stand up to pressure. There was absolutely no indication that
there was anything wrong with the can or contents. There was no rust.
The top was clean. I know that it had been around for a year, maybe
two. I had the can sitting on the counter. I put the opener in place,
pressed the lever down and BOOM! Tomato paste everywhere. Hell, I didn't
think there was that much on one of those small cans. If it had been a
can of pain I would not have got as much area coverage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 01:45:01 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 16:46:20 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:

>> >Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan of
>> >sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that required
>> >it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems it also comes
>> >in a bag in the cold produce section

>> I'm no fan of canned sauerkraut but I have to admit that the Del Monte
>> brand Bavarian style canned sauerkraut is excellent.

>I like the bagged Boar's Head, but the best I ever had was mom's home
>made... I'm hoping the recipe is written down somewhere in her notes.
>I know I still have her 3 bladed cabbage slicer. Like a giant Mandolin
>with a box carrier.
>
>Still have the crock too! Glazed ceramic and holds about 5 gallons at a
>time. She taught me how to make a "water seal" for it to keep the
>nasties out of it while it fermented. Not sure it's as bad as Kimchee as
>I've never made that but it likely comes close! <g>

The problen with making ones own kraut is that it doesn't pay unless
one makes at least a five gallon crock full, but then having folks
enough to help eat it.

>But well worth it. She'd then can it in quart jars with Dry Muscat wine.

Well, if she canned it then it wasn't much different from commercially
canned... can always drain and season tinned to ones liking.

Try the Del Monte Bavarian style with caraway, it will change minds
about canned kraut... doesn't even have that stench when opened.
Of course all sauerkraut is high in salt but not so much when well
drained. Bavarian style replaces part of the curing salt with sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 10:44*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 01:45:01 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>

> >In article >,
> > Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> >> I'm no fan of canned sauerkraut but I have to admit that the Del Monte
> >> brand Bavarian style canned sauerkraut is excellent.

> >I like the bagged Boar's Head, but the best I *ever had was mom's home
> >made... *I'm hoping the recipe is written down somewhere in her notes. *
> >I know I still have her 3 bladed cabbage slicer. *Like a giant Mandolin
> >with a box carrier.

> >Still have the crock too! *Glazed ceramic and holds about 5 gallons at a
> >time. *She taught me how to make a "water seal" for it to keep the
> >nasties out of it while it fermented. Not sure it's as bad as Kimchee as
> >I've never made that but it likely comes close! <g>

> The problen with making ones own kraut is that it doesn't pay unless
> one makes at least a five gallon crock full, but then having folks
> enough to help eat it.
>
> >But well worth it. She'd then can it in quart jars with Dry Muscat wine.

> Well, if she canned it then it wasn't much different from commercially
> canned... can always drain and season tinned to ones liking.
>
> Try the Del Monte Bavarian style with caraway, it will change minds
> about canned kraut... doesn't even have that stench when opened.
> Of course all sauerkraut is high in salt but not so much when well
> drained. *Bavarian style replaces part of the curing salt with sugar.

==
I always found the Del Monte to be to (sour) acidic...I'd prefer more
salt than vinegar taste. I suppose one could dilute it a bit before
serving and drain off the excess juice.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 11:12*am, Roy > wrote:
> On Apr 10, 10:44*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 01:45:01 -0500, Omelet >
> > wrote:

> > >I like the bagged Boar's Head, but the best I *ever had was mom's home
> > >made... *I'm hoping the recipe is written down somewhere in her notes. *
> > >I know I still have her 3 bladed cabbage slicer. *Like a giant Mandolin
> > >with a box carrier.

> > >Still have the crock too! *Glazed ceramic and holds about 5 gallons at a
> > >time. *She taught me how to make a "water seal" for it to keep the
> > >nasties out of it while it fermented. Not sure it's as bad as Kimchee as
> > >I've never made that but it likely comes close! <g>

> > The problen with making ones own kraut is that it doesn't pay unless
> > one makes at least a five gallon crock full, but then having folks
> > enough to help eat it.

> > >But well worth it. She'd then can it in quart jars with Dry Muscat wine.

> > Well, if she canned it then it wasn't much different from commercially
> > canned... can always drain and season tinned to ones liking.

> > Try the Del Monte Bavarian style with caraway, it will change minds
> > about canned kraut... doesn't even have that stench when opened.
> > Of course all sauerkraut is high in salt but not so much when well
> > drained. *Bavarian style replaces part of the curing salt with sugar.

> ==
> I always found the Del Monte to be too (sour) acidic...I'd prefer more
> salt than vinegar taste. I suppose one could dilute it a bit before
> serving and drain off the excess juice.
> ==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 10:12:18 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

>On Apr 10, 10:44*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 01:45:01 -0500, Omelet >
>> wrote:

>> >I like the bagged Boar's Head, but the best I *ever had was mom's home
>> >made... *I'm hoping the recipe is written down somewhere in her notes. *
>> >I know I still have her 3 bladed cabbage slicer. *Like a giant Mandolin
>> >with a box carrier.

>> >Still have the crock too! *Glazed ceramic and holds about 5 gallons at a
>> >time. *She taught me how to make a "water seal" for it to keep the
>> >nasties out of it while it fermented. Not sure it's as bad as Kimchee as
>> >I've never made that but it likely comes close! <g>

>> The problen with making ones own kraut is that it doesn't pay unless
>> one makes at least a five gallon crock full, but then having folks
>> enough to help eat it.
>>
>> >But well worth it. She'd then can it in quart jars with Dry Muscat wine.

>> Well, if she canned it then it wasn't much different from commercially
>> canned... can always drain and season tinned to ones liking.
>>
>> Try the Del Monte Bavarian style with caraway, it will change minds
>> about canned kraut... doesn't even have that stench when opened.
>> Of course all sauerkraut is high in salt but not so much when well
>> drained. *Bavarian style replaces part of the curing salt with sugar.

>I always found the Del Monte to be to (sour) acidic...I'd prefer more
>salt than vinegar taste. I suppose one could dilute it a bit before
>serving and drain off the excess juice.

Again, try the _Bavarian Style_.

Btw, I don't think any canned or fresh sauerkraut contains vinegar...
like fermented pickles it's brine cured... the sour is lactic acid
from the fermentation, not vinegar.

I will try this one next trip (read the ingredients):
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Silver-Flo....4-oz/10452864
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I reached for a can of lemon-lime soda that had been out in the garage for
at least a year, probably more. It was empty. Still completely sealed, the
pull-tab never touched. I can only think that the liquid evaporated
through some teeny-tiny hole too small to see.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2011 9:19 AM, Michael L Kankiewicz wrote:

> I reached for a can of lemon-lime soda that had been out in the garage
> for at least a year, probably more. It was empty. Still completely
> sealed, the pull-tab never touched. I can only think that the liquid
> evaporated through some teeny-tiny hole too small to see.

Unless you've got a Science Fiction space warp in your garage, a small
hole's got to be it :-) However, a year's temperature swings in an
uncooled and unheated garage could easily mess up the seal on the pull tab.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm "not"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/04/2011 9:19 AM, Michael L Kankiewicz wrote:

> I reached for a can of lemon-lime soda that had been out in the garage
> for at least a year, probably more. It was empty. Still completely
> sealed, the pull-tab never touched. I can only think that the liquid
> evaporated through some teeny-tiny hole too small to see.

When I did a major basement cleaning last year I came across a stash of
about a dozen cans of Brio (an Italian Canadian soft drink) that had
been there for more than a decade. None of them was more than half full.
Several of them were empty. There were no signs of them having
leaked..... other than being empty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article<u_ydnbKToJChnTzQnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@giganews. com>,
> L > wrote:
>

>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan
>>> of sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that
>>> required it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems
>>> it also comes in a bag in the cold produce section
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> So you really have no idea what you are talking about and decided to hit
>> "reply" just to be heard?
>>

> Hey, who made YOU "netcop"?

Steve.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2011 9:19 AM, Michael L Kankiewicz wrote:

> I reached for a can of lemon-lime soda that had been out in the garage
> for at least a year, probably more. It was empty. Still completely
> sealed, the pull-tab never touched. I can only think that the liquid
> evaporated through some teeny-tiny hole too small to see.

Recently I found a 12 pack of soda in a downstairs storage that I don't
drink often, and there was a solid form of the soda under it. There was
still liquid in the cans that got thrown out. I don't know how they leaked.

What Will You Watch? Ubiquitous Restaurants 3 06-04-2010 10:39 AM
Watch what you eat Bob-tx Barbecue 0 26-05-2009 11:43 AM
Hey, Ma... watch this! Sheldon General Cooking 6 08-02-2006 11:36 PM
'05 tea watch- pilo_ Tea 14 08-04-2005 04:29 PM
'05 tea watch- pilo_ Tea 0 25-03-2005 06:58 PM