Old 07-04-2011, 04:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I have something new to deal with

I am trying to drop some weight so I am doing low carb/ Primal/Paleo.
I was on this for about 10 days when I made some fried chicken.
Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years.
I knew the flour wasn't Primal, but on 4 pieces of chicken lighty
floured, no batter, no egg....how much flour could there be? It was
so good....then came the bellyache. It didn't last long. I had saved
one thigh for breakfast and it was good too.....then came the belly-
ache again. Lasted a couple of hours. I couldn't believe that this
small an amount of regular plain white flour could mess me up. I
posted it on MarksDailyApple.com and was told I probably have gluten
intolerance. And that my body so liked doing without the starchy
carbs, it was objecting. DH bought some chicken wings all prepared,
and I read that they had wheat flour in the breading. But O MY were
they good......then came the bellyache again and lasted for a good 18
- 20 hours. My whole stomach & abdominal area was hard and hurt.

I'm sure there are gluten intolerant people here. What do you use as
a substitute for flouring and thickening agents? I've lost some weight
and generally feel better eating this way, get up feeling perky and
bright, not fog brained for several hours. It is an adjustment to cook
this way after 45 years of marriage & cooking, then to have flour/
wheat banned is a BIG adjustment.
Any ideas or help gratefully received. Thanks, Nan in DE

Old 07-04-2011, 05:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 08:09:53 -0700 (PDT), Nan
wrote:

I'm sure there are gluten intolerant people here. What do you use as
a substitute for flouring and thickening agents? I've lost some weight
and generally feel better eating this way, get up feeling perky and
bright, not fog brained for several hours. It is an adjustment to cook
this way after 45 years of marriage & cooking, then to have flour/
wheat banned is a BIG adjustment.
Any ideas or help gratefully received. Thanks, Nan in DE

There are gluten free flours out there, single type and mixed.
Probably the best place for you to try is any place with bulk bins so
you can try several and decide what you like best. If I recall
correctly, JL likes rice flour, and I bought a gluten free pancake mix
that I use in my pudding cakes that just call for 3T flour. I can
tell you that good old cornstarch fries up super crispy - that's what
chinese restaurants use for their crisp coatings.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nan" ha scritto nel messaggio

I am trying to drop some weight so I am doing low carb/ Primal/Paleo. I was
on this for about 10 days when I made some fried chicken.
Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years. I
knew the flour wasn't Primal, but on 4 pieces of chicken lighty
floured, no batter, no egg....how much flour could there be? It was
so good....then came the bellyache. It didn't last long.

If you've been on a low carb diet long enough for it to be working, every
time you splurge on carbs this will happen. Count on it. Dropping off for
a weekend just isn't worth it. You either do it or forget it.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/04/2011 11:09 AM, Nan wrote:
I am trying to drop some weight so I am doing low carb/ Primal/Paleo.
I was on this for about 10 days when I made some fried chicken.
Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years.
I knew the flour wasn't Primal, but on 4 pieces of chicken lighty
floured, no batter, no egg....how much flour could there be?

You're trying to drop weight and you are worried about the amount of
flour in fried chicken? I hate to be the one to break it to you, but
four pieces of fried chicken is not a short cut to weight loss.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nan wrote:
[...]

Corn starch has some thickening effects. Corn flake crumbs (gluten free
kind) for breading. All diets make you feel better in the short run. After
a few months on an extreme diet life will be pulling at you.

I have found gluten is not quite the same wheat intolerance. Flour as a
coating never bothered me. High gluten breads yes. It may depend on the
amount of flour or the mixture of wheat and water to make that glutenous
doughs.

Refined flour, I think has a very high glycemic index right up their with
sugar.
That could also be the bad factor in feeling bad.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 1:16*pm, "Giusi" wrote:
"Nan" ha scritto nel messaggio

I am trying to drop some weight so I am doing low carb/ Primal/Paleo. I was
on this for about 10 days when I made some fried chicken.
Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years. I
knew the flour wasn't Primal, but on 4 pieces of chicken lighty
floured, no batter, no egg....how much flour could there be? *It was
so good....then came the bellyache. It didn't last long.

If you've been on a low carb diet long enough for it to be working, every
time you splurge on carbs this will happen. *Count on it. *Dropping off for
a weekend just isn't worth it. *You either do it or forget it.

I'm doing it!! We were finishing up things in the house, and when DH
brought
home the chicken wings he was so happy to be contributing to our new
way of eating, I just couldn't disappoint him. He did say yesterday
he could
see that I was uncomfortable and if it didn't go away I should go to
Dr. He
NEVER says I should go to Dr. I'm doing all the reading I can on
this
and will keep it up.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 2:49*pm, Omelet wrote:
In article
,

*Nan wrote:
[...]

Corn starch or rice flour, or sometimes Arrowroot when I'm feeling
flush. ;-)

Once you get used to eating without flour, it's not all that difficult.

Sorry you are having to deal with this but welcome to my world!
And several others here too...
--
Peace! Om

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
--Robert Heinlien- Hide quoted text -

Thanks OM. I thought I remembered that you were gluten intolerant.
I'll keep on keeping on and read labels. And ignore some of the
Conventional Wisdom that is out there. They don't live in my body.
I did well on Atkins and let my dr talk me out of it, and I gained
45#.
Now I have that to lose, and what I had before.
Going outside to get some Vit D.
If you, OM think of anything else that would help me, please Email
me. Thanks All, Nan in DE.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nan wrote:

[...]

This is much the same story as how I found out I'm wheat intolerant. It
took a little experimentation with rye (hard to find 100% rye bread but
it is out there), barley (in stew or beer) and oats (oatmeal) to
discover that in my case it was wheat specifically not gluten in
general.

I can hardly remember a day without wheat before I started Atkins. I
think my digestion had always been like that but it had been my normal
my entire life. I had not noticed it going away but it was easy to
notice it coming back.

I'm sure there are gluten intolerant people here. What do you use as
a substitute for flouring and thickening agents? I've lost some weight
and generally feel better eating this way, get up feeling perky and
bright, not fog brained for several hours. It is an adjustment to cook
this way after 45 years of marriage & cooking, then to have flour/
wheat banned is a BIG adjustment.

In my house deep fried equals without breading. Nearly anything that
works deep fried breaded works better deep fried straight. There have
been a few food items that turn to mush but nearly everythnig works fine.

Gravy thickens with its natural gelatin if you're patient. Milk or
cream are very good thickeners. Arrowroot, potato starch and corn
starch are all better thickners than wheat flour. Rice flour and other
grain flours work as well. Nuts and legumes grind to make good crusts.
So does the class of dried aged cheeses.

But think about my point on deep frying - I don't use thickener or
coating at all and I think I get a better end product.

This point applies to a lot more than just deep frying. Cheese or cream
sauce can beat gravy. No sauce can beat yes sauce. Veggies beat baked
goods. Legumes work.

Low carbing is different and it takes a while to get used to it but it
works just as well as other cooking styles.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 13:49:24 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Once you get used to eating without flour, it's not all that difficult.

Sorry you are having to deal with this but welcome to my world!
And several others here too...

I'm not interested in low carbing, but I am interested in gluten free
meals. There are so many people here who don't eat gluten or wheat
for one reason or another, it would really be nice if more of them
posted about their gluten free meals. I know it's not so hard to go
gluten free, but it's kind of like not thinking about a pink elephant
after you've been told not to.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nan wrote:

I'm doing all the reading I can on this and will keep it up.

alt.support.diet.low-carb

Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nan wrote:

I did well on Atkins and let my dr talk me out of it, and I gained
45#.

My doctor worried about me being on Atkins. I asked him what he thought
it entailed. When he told me I said he should actually read the book
and get back to me when he knew what he was talking about. He just
nodded. Maybe he had read the book and was worried that I was doing it
like I had read some magazine article. Lot's of people do all sorts of
crazy things and think they can call it Atkins. Nope. Atkins is
something specific from a set of books. It has directions to be
followed.

When I started Atkins I followed the directions to the letter. On
schedule every week of every phase. I lost 40 pounds in six months.
Then I figured I could do it on my own. I lost 0 pounds in six months.
Amazing how that worked. ;^)
Old 07-04-2011, 10:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nan" wrote in message
[...]

My daughter has a wheat allergy. I use sweet rice flour for breading,
thickening, etc. Also called glutinous flour but it doesn't contain gluten
as in wheat gluten. You can get it cheap in the Asian section of the store.
Otherwise look for it with the gluten free stuff or in the health food
section.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" wrote in message
Nan wrote:

I did well on Atkins and let my dr talk me out of it, and I gained
45#.

My doctor worried about me being on Atkins. I asked him what he thought
it entailed. When he told me I said he should actually read the book
and get back to me when he knew what he was talking about. He just
nodded. Maybe he had read the book and was worried that I was doing it
like I had read some magazine article. Lot's of people do all sorts of
crazy things and think they can call it Atkins. Nope. Atkins is
something specific from a set of books. It has directions to be
followed.

When I started Atkins I followed the directions to the letter. On
schedule every week of every phase. I lost 40 pounds in six months.
Then I figured I could do it on my own. I lost 0 pounds in six months.
Amazing how that worked. ;^)

I can't tell you how many people think Atkins means eating unlimited eggs,
butter, cheese and meat. My husband bought the book because he wanted to do
it. He didn't read the book. I did. Or I started to. I realized he would
never make it out of the induction phase. When he diets, he always turns to
fruit. Eats obscene amounts of it. There was also not anything unlimited
about the diet. There were set amounts that you couldn't go over.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nan wrote:

[...]

about the diet. *There were set amounts that you couldn't go over.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I have the Primal Blueprint
Easy new cookbook
on backorder, it seems to be backordered everywhere. And we are doing
Ok.
We do a lot of bbq and I can make most things flourless. It's a
little different
than Atkins. The website MarksDailyApple.com has a big recipe
section. I asked
about the fried chicken as it is one of my fav foods.
But I was just so surprised that this happened as I'd had no
noticeable discomfort
after eating loads of pasta(I must have some Italian blood), rice, and
I'd been eating
brown rice which has more undigestible stuff in it than regular, and
potatoes are one
of my favs. I will stay off it all for at least a month, and then try
adding things other
than wheat, back in and see how it goes.
And make a printout of your suggestions for grocery shopping and
perusal.
Thanks again, Nan
Old 08-04-2011, 03:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/07/2011 08:09 AM, Nan wrote:

I'm sure there are gluten intolerant people here. What do you use as
a substitute for flouring and thickening agents? I've lost some weight
and generally feel better eating this way, get up feeling perky and
bright, not fog brained for several hours. It is an adjustment to cook
this way after 45 years of marriage& cooking, then to have flour/
wheat banned is a BIG adjustment.
Any ideas or help gratefully received. Thanks, Nan in DE

I highly highly highly recommend that you start reading Gluten-free Girl
and the Chef, http://glutenfreegirl.com/

Shauna is a wonderful person, and she tests her recipes really well
before publishing them.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Deal or Dud? ChairMan[_3_] Barbecue 9 28-05-2012 01:57 PM
Big deal George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 3 29-09-2011 11:59 AM
Deal Alert Gorio General Cooking 13 20-07-2010 05:59 PM
The best deal I could find Frank103 Baking 0 24-09-2006 10:13 PM
A Good Deal? [email protected] General Cooking 0 10-01-2005 09:19 PM