FoodBanter.com

-   -   I have something new to deal with (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/406357-i-have-something-new.html)

Nan[_3_] 07-04-2011 04:09 PM

I have something new to deal with

I am trying to drop some weight so I am doing low carb/ Primal/Paleo.
I was on this for about 10 days when I made some fried chicken.
Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years.
I knew the flour wasn't Primal, but on 4 pieces of chicken lighty
floured, no batter, no egg....how much flour could there be? It was
so good....then came the bellyache. It didn't last long. I had saved
one thigh for breakfast and it was good too.....then came the belly-
ache again. Lasted a couple of hours. I couldn't believe that this
small an amount of regular plain white flour could mess me up. I
posted it on MarksDailyApple.com and was told I probably have gluten
intolerance. And that my body so liked doing without the starchy
carbs, it was objecting. DH bought some chicken wings all prepared,
and I read that they had wheat flour in the breading. But O MY were
they good......then came the bellyache again and lasted for a good 18
- 20 hours. My whole stomach & abdominal area was hard and hurt.

I'm sure there are gluten intolerant people here. What do you use as
a substitute for flouring and thickening agents? I've lost some weight
and generally feel better eating this way, get up feeling perky and
bright, not fog brained for several hours. It is an adjustment to cook
this way after 45 years of marriage & cooking, then to have flour/
wheat banned is a BIG adjustment.
Any ideas or help gratefully received. Thanks, Nan in DE

sf[_9_] 07-04-2011 05:12 PM

I have something new to deal with

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 08:09:53 -0700 (PDT), Nan >
wrote:

> I'm sure there are gluten intolerant people here. What do you use as
> a substitute for flouring and thickening agents? I've lost some weight
> and generally feel better eating this way, get up feeling perky and
> bright, not fog brained for several hours. It is an adjustment to cook
> this way after 45 years of marriage & cooking, then to have flour/
> wheat banned is a BIG adjustment.
> Any ideas or help gratefully received. Thanks, Nan in DE

There are gluten free flours out there, single type and mixed.
Probably the best place for you to try is any place with bulk bins so
you can try several and decide what you like best. If I recall
correctly, JL likes rice flour, and I bought a gluten free pancake mix
that I use in my pudding cakes that just call for 3T flour. I can
tell you that good old cornstarch fries up super crispy - that's what
chinese restaurants use for their crisp coatings.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Giusi 07-04-2011 06:16 PM

"Nan" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>I am trying to drop some weight so I am doing low carb/ Primal/Paleo. I was
>on this for about 10 days when I made some fried chicken.
> Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years.> I
> knew the flour wasn't Primal, but on 4 pieces of chicken lighty
> floured, no batter, no egg....how much flour could there be? It was
> so good....then came the bellyache. It didn't last long.

If you've been on a low carb diet long enough for it to be working, every
time you splurge on carbs this will happen. Count on it. Dropping off for
a weekend just isn't worth it. You either do it or forget it.

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-04-2011 06:22 PM

On 07/04/2011 11:09 AM, Nan wrote:
> I am trying to drop some weight so I am doing low carb/ Primal/Paleo.
> I was on this for about 10 days when I made some fried chicken.
> Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years.
> I knew the flour wasn't Primal, but on 4 pieces of chicken lighty
> floured, no batter, no egg....how much flour could there be?

You're trying to drop weight and you are worried about the amount of
flour in fried chicken? I hate to be the one to break it to you, but
four pieces of fried chicken is not a short cut to weight loss.

Nad R 07-04-2011 07:06 PM

Nan > wrote:
> I am trying to drop some weight so I am doing low carb/ Primal/Paleo.
> I was on this for about 10 days when I made some fried chicken.
> Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years.
> I knew the flour wasn't Primal, but on 4 pieces of chicken lighty
> floured, no batter, no egg....how much flour could there be? It was
> so good....then came the bellyache. It didn't last long. I had saved
> one thigh for breakfast and it was good too.....then came the belly-
> ache again. Lasted a couple of hours. I couldn't believe that this
> small an amount of regular plain white flour could mess me up. I
> posted it on MarksDailyApple.com and was told I probably have gluten
> intolerance. And that my body so liked doing without the starchy
> carbs, it was objecting. DH bought some chicken wings all prepared,
> and I read that they had wheat flour in the breading. But O MY were
> they good......then came the bellyache again and lasted for a good 18
> - 20 hours. My whole stomach & abdominal area was hard and hurt.
>
> I'm sure there are gluten intolerant people here. What do you use as
> a substitute for flouring and thickening agents? I've lost some weight
> and generally feel better eating this way, get up feeling perky and
> bright, not fog brained for several hours. It is an adjustment to cook
> this way after 45 years of marriage & cooking, then to have flour/
> wheat banned is a BIG adjustment.
> Any ideas or help gratefully received. Thanks, Nan in DE

Corn starch has some thickening effects. Corn flake crumbs (gluten free
kind) for breading. All diets make you feel better in the short run. After
a few months on an extreme diet life will be pulling at you.

I have found gluten is not quite the same wheat intolerance. Flour as a
coating never bothered me. High gluten breads yes. It may depend on the
amount of flour or the mixture of wheat and water to make that glutenous
doughs.

Refined flour, I think has a very high glycemic index right up their with
sugar.
That could also be the bad factor in feeling bad.

Nan[_3_] 07-04-2011 08:06 PM

On Apr 7, 1:16*pm, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Nan" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> >I am trying to drop some weight so I am doing low carb/ Primal/Paleo. I was
> >on this for about 10 days when I made some fried chicken.
> > Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years.> I
> > knew the flour wasn't Primal, but on 4 pieces of chicken lighty
> > floured, no batter, no egg....how much flour could there be? *It was
> > so good....then came the bellyache. It didn't last long.

> If you've been on a low carb diet long enough for it to be working, every
> time you splurge on carbs this will happen. *Count on it. *Dropping off for
> a weekend just isn't worth it. *You either do it or forget it.

I'm doing it!! We were finishing up things in the house, and when DH
brought
home the chicken wings he was so happy to be contributing to our new
way of eating, I just couldn't disappoint him. He did say yesterday
he could
see that I was uncomfortable and if it didn't go away I should go to
Dr. He
NEVER says I should go to Dr. I'm doing all the reading I can on
this
and will keep it up.

Nan[_3_] 07-04-2011 08:11 PM

On Apr 7, 2:49*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *Nan > wrote:
> > I am trying to drop some weight so I am doing low carb/ Primal/Paleo.
> > I was on this for about 10 days when I made some fried chicken.
> > Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years.
> > I knew the flour wasn't Primal, but on 4 pieces of chicken lighty
> > floured, no batter, no egg....how much flour could there be? *It was
> > so good....then came the bellyache. It didn't last long. *I had saved
> > one thigh for breakfast and it was good too.....then came the belly-
> > ache *again. *Lasted a couple of hours. *I couldn't believe that this
> > small an amount of regular plain white flour could mess me up. *I
> > posted it on MarksDailyApple.com and was told I probably have gluten
> > intolerance. *And that my body so liked doing without the starchy
> > carbs, it was objecting. *DH bought some chicken wings all prepared,
> > and I read that they had wheat flour in the breading. *But O MY were
> > they good......then came the bellyache again and lasted for a good 18
> > - 20 hours. *My whole stomach & abdominal area was hard and hurt.

> > I'm sure there are gluten intolerant people here. *What do you use as
> > a substitute for flouring and thickening agents? I've lost some weight
> > and generally feel better eating this way, get up feeling perky and
> > bright, not fog brained for several hours. It is an adjustment to cook
> > this way after 45 years of marriage & cooking, then to have flour/
> > wheat banned is a BIG adjustment.
> > Any ideas or help gratefully received. Thanks, * Nan in DE

> Corn starch or rice flour, or sometimes Arrowroot when I'm feeling
> flush. ;-)
>
> Once you get used to eating without flour, it's not all that difficult.
>
> Sorry you are having to deal with this but welcome to my world!
> And several others here too...
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
> --Robert Heinlien- Hide quoted text -

Thanks OM. I thought I remembered that you were gluten intolerant.
I'll keep on keeping on and read labels. And ignore some of the
Conventional Wisdom that is out there. They don't live in my body.
I did well on Atkins and let my dr talk me out of it, and I gained
45#.
Now I have that to lose, and what I had before.
Going outside to get some Vit D.
If you, OM think of anything else that would help me, please Email
me. Thanks All, Nan in DE.

Doug Freyburger 07-04-2011 09:37 PM

Nan wrote:

> I am trying to drop some weight so I am doing low carb/ Primal/Paleo.
> I was on this for about 10 days when I made some fried chicken.
> Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years.
> I knew the flour wasn't Primal, but on 4 pieces of chicken lighty
> floured, no batter, no egg....how much flour could there be? It was
> so good....then came the bellyache. It didn't last long. I had saved
> one thigh for breakfast and it was good too.....then came the belly-
> ache again. Lasted a couple of hours. I couldn't believe that this
> small an amount of regular plain white flour could mess me up. I
> posted it on MarksDailyApple.com and was told I probably have gluten
> intolerance. And that my body so liked doing without the starchy
> carbs, it was objecting. DH bought some chicken wings all prepared,
> and I read that they had wheat flour in the breading. But O MY were
> they good......then came the bellyache again and lasted for a good 18
> - 20 hours. My whole stomach & abdominal area was hard and hurt.

This is much the same story as how I found out I'm wheat intolerant. It
took a little experimentation with rye (hard to find 100% rye bread but
it is out there), barley (in stew or beer) and oats (oatmeal) to
discover that in my case it was wheat specifically not gluten in
general.

I can hardly remember a day without wheat before I started Atkins. I
think my digestion had always been like that but it had been my normal
my entire life. I had not noticed it going away but it was easy to
notice it coming back.

> I'm sure there are gluten intolerant people here. What do you use as
> a substitute for flouring and thickening agents? I've lost some weight
> and generally feel better eating this way, get up feeling perky and
> bright, not fog brained for several hours. It is an adjustment to cook
> this way after 45 years of marriage & cooking, then to have flour/
> wheat banned is a BIG adjustment.

In my house deep fried equals without breading. Nearly anything that
works deep fried breaded works better deep fried straight. There have
been a few food items that turn to mush but nearly everythnig works fine.

Gravy thickens with its natural gelatin if you're patient. Milk or
cream are very good thickeners. Arrowroot, potato starch and corn
starch are all better thickners than wheat flour. Rice flour and other
grain flours work as well. Nuts and legumes grind to make good crusts.
So does the class of dried aged cheeses.

But think about my point on deep frying - I don't use thickener or
coating at all and I think I get a better end product.

This point applies to a lot more than just deep frying. Cheese or cream
sauce can beat gravy. No sauce can beat yes sauce. Veggies beat baked
goods. Legumes work.

Low carbing is different and it takes a while to get used to it but it
works just as well as other cooking styles.

sf[_9_] 07-04-2011 09:54 PM

I have something new to deal with

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 13:49:24 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> Once you get used to eating without flour, it's not all that difficult.
>
> Sorry you are having to deal with this but welcome to my world!
> And several others here too...

I'm not interested in low carbing, but I am interested in gluten free
meals. There are so many people here who don't eat gluten or wheat
for one reason or another, it would really be nice if more of them
posted about their gluten free meals. I know it's not so hard to go
gluten free, but it's kind of like not thinking about a pink elephant
after you've been told not to.

Doug Freyburger 07-04-2011 10:04 PM

Nan wrote:

> I'm doing all the reading I can on this and will keep it up.

alt.support.diet.low-carb

Doug Freyburger 07-04-2011 10:09 PM

Nan wrote:

> I did well on Atkins and let my dr talk me out of it, and I gained
> 45#.

My doctor worried about me being on Atkins. I asked him what he thought
it entailed. When he told me I said he should actually read the book
and get back to me when he knew what he was talking about. He just
nodded. Maybe he had read the book and was worried that I was doing it
like I had read some magazine article. Lot's of people do all sorts of
crazy things and think they can call it Atkins. Nope. Atkins is
something specific from a set of books. It has directions to be
followed.

When I started Atkins I followed the directions to the letter. On
schedule every week of every phase. I lost 40 pounds in six months.
Then I figured I could do it on my own. I lost 0 pounds in six months.
Amazing how that worked. ;^)

Julie Bove[_2_] 07-04-2011 10:36 PM

"Nan" > wrote in message
>I am trying to drop some weight so I am doing low carb/ Primal/Paleo.
> I was on this for about 10 days when I made some fried chicken.
> Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years.
> I knew the flour wasn't Primal, but on 4 pieces of chicken lighty
> floured, no batter, no egg....how much flour could there be? It was
> so good....then came the bellyache. It didn't last long. I had saved
> one thigh for breakfast and it was good too.....then came the belly-
> ache again. Lasted a couple of hours. I couldn't believe that this
> small an amount of regular plain white flour could mess me up. I
> posted it on MarksDailyApple.com and was told I probably have gluten
> intolerance. And that my body so liked doing without the starchy
> carbs, it was objecting. DH bought some chicken wings all prepared,
> and I read that they had wheat flour in the breading. But O MY were
> they good......then came the bellyache again and lasted for a good 18
> - 20 hours. My whole stomach & abdominal area was hard and hurt.
>
> I'm sure there are gluten intolerant people here. What do you use as
> a substitute for flouring and thickening agents? I've lost some weight
> and generally feel better eating this way, get up feeling perky and
> bright, not fog brained for several hours. It is an adjustment to cook
> this way after 45 years of marriage & cooking, then to have flour/
> wheat banned is a BIG adjustment.
> Any ideas or help gratefully received. Thanks, Nan in DE

My daughter has a wheat allergy. I use sweet rice flour for breading,
thickening, etc. Also called glutinous flour but it doesn't contain gluten
as in wheat gluten. You can get it cheap in the Asian section of the store.
Otherwise look for it with the gluten free stuff or in the health food
section.

Julie Bove[_2_] 07-04-2011 10:40 PM

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> Nan wrote:
>>
>> I did well on Atkins and let my dr talk me out of it, and I gained
>> 45#.

> My doctor worried about me being on Atkins. I asked him what he thought
> it entailed. When he told me I said he should actually read the book
> and get back to me when he knew what he was talking about. He just
> nodded. Maybe he had read the book and was worried that I was doing it
> like I had read some magazine article. Lot's of people do all sorts of
> crazy things and think they can call it Atkins. Nope. Atkins is
> something specific from a set of books. It has directions to be
> followed.
>
> When I started Atkins I followed the directions to the letter. On
> schedule every week of every phase. I lost 40 pounds in six months.
> Then I figured I could do it on my own. I lost 0 pounds in six months.
> Amazing how that worked. ;^)

I can't tell you how many people think Atkins means eating unlimited eggs,
butter, cheese and meat. My husband bought the book because he wanted to do
it. He didn't read the book. I did. Or I started to. I realized he would
never make it out of the induction phase. When he diets, he always turns to
fruit. Eats obscene amounts of it. There was also not anything unlimited
about the diet. There were set amounts that you couldn't go over.

Nan[_3_] 08-04-2011 01:02 AM

On Apr 7, 5:40*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message

> > Nan wrote:

> >> I did well on Atkins and let my dr talk me out of it, and I gained
> >> 45#.

> > My doctor worried about me being on Atkins. *I asked him what he thought
> > it entailed. *When he told me I said he should actually read the book
> > and get back to me when he knew what he was talking about. *He just
> > nodded. *Maybe he had read the book and was worried that I was doing it
> > like I had read some magazine article. *Lot's of people do all sorts of
> > crazy things and think they can call it Atkins. *Nope. *Atkins is
> > something specific from a set of books. *It has directions to be
> > followed.

> > When I started Atkins I followed the directions to the letter. *On
> > schedule every week of every phase. *I lost 40 pounds in six months.
> > Then I figured I could do it on my own. *I lost 0 pounds in six months.
> > Amazing how that worked. *;^)

> I can't tell you how many people think Atkins means eating unlimited eggs,
> butter, cheese and meat. *My husband bought the book because he wanted to do
> it. *He didn't read the book. *I did. *Or I started to. *I realized he would
> never make it out of the induction phase. *When he diets, he always turns to
> fruit. *Eats obscene amounts of it. *There was also not anything unlimited
> about the diet. *There were set amounts that you couldn't go over.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I have the Primal Blueprint
Easy new cookbook
on backorder, it seems to be backordered everywhere. And we are doing
Ok.
We do a lot of bbq and I can make most things flourless. It's a
little different
than Atkins. The website MarksDailyApple.com has a big recipe
section. I asked
about the fried chicken as it is one of my fav foods.
But I was just so surprised that this happened as I'd had no
noticeable discomfort
after eating loads of pasta(I must have some Italian blood), rice, and
I'd been eating
brown rice which has more undigestible stuff in it than regular, and
potatoes are one
of my favs. I will stay off it all for at least a month, and then try
adding things other
than wheat, back in and see how it goes.
And make a printout of your suggestions for grocery shopping and
perusal.
Thanks again, Nan

Serene Vannoy 08-04-2011 03:10 AM

On 04/07/2011 08:09 AM, Nan wrote:

> I'm sure there are gluten intolerant people here. What do you use as
> a substitute for flouring and thickening agents? I've lost some weight
> and generally feel better eating this way, get up feeling perky and
> bright, not fog brained for several hours. It is an adjustment to cook
> this way after 45 years of marriage& cooking, then to have flour/
> wheat banned is a BIG adjustment.
> Any ideas or help gratefully received. Thanks, Nan in DE

I highly highly highly recommend that you start reading Gluten-free Girl
and the Chef, http://glutenfreegirl.com/

Shauna is a wonderful person, and she tests her recipes really well
before publishing them.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

sf[_9_] 08-04-2011 05:30 AM

I have something new to deal with

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 22:40:02 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> There are some low carbing support lists on usenet that I've hung out on
> from time to time to get ideas. It was handy. I picked up stuff there
> that I'd never thought of. alt.support.diet.low-carb

I looked at that tonight. Pretty boring, nothing of interest recipe
or even meal-wise. The last decent post was by Dave F back in
February.

sf[_9_] 08-04-2011 05:36 AM

I have something new to deal with

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 19:10:10 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

> On 04/07/2011 08:09 AM, Nan wrote:
>
> > I'm sure there are gluten intolerant people here. What do you use as
> > a substitute for flouring and thickening agents? I've lost some weight
> > and generally feel better eating this way, get up feeling perky and
> > bright, not fog brained for several hours. It is an adjustment to cook
> > this way after 45 years of marriage& cooking, then to have flour/
> > wheat banned is a BIG adjustment.
> > Any ideas or help gratefully received. Thanks, Nan in DE

> I highly highly highly recommend that you start reading Gluten-free Girl
> and the Chef, http://glutenfreegirl.com/
>
> Shauna is a wonderful person, and she tests her recipes really well
> before publishing them.

I also like Gluten-Free Goddess >
which you can do by RSS or email. "Karina's Kitchen:"

Giusi 08-04-2011 06:45 AM

Giusi" > wrote:
> "Nan" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years

how much flour could there be? It was
> > so good....then came the bellyache.

> If you've been on a low carb diet long enough for it to be working, every
> time you splurge on carbs this will happen. Count on it. Dropping off for
> a weekend just isn't worth it. You either do it or forget it.

I'm doing it!! We were finishing up things in the house, and when DH
brought
home the chicken wings he was so happy to be contributing to our newway of
eating, I just couldn't disappoint him. He did say yesterday
he could see that I was uncomfortable and if it didn't go away I should go
to Dr. He
NEVER says I should go to Dr. I'm doing all the reading I can onthis and
will keep it up.

You are not gluten intolerant, but have dieted long enough to have lost the
enzymes to handle those carbs, Fried flour is bad. Fried rice flour will
be just as bad.

You can slowly add back high fiber, whole grain in small amounts once close
to finishing your goal, but for now, if you eat carbs you will get a gut
ache.

Giusi 08-04-2011 06:48 AM

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 22:40:02 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>> There are some low carbing support lists on usenet that I've hung out on
>> from time to time to get ideas. It was handy. I picked up stuff there
>> that I'd never thought of. alt.support.diet.low-carb

> I looked at that tonight. Pretty boring, nothing of interest recipe
> or even meal-wise. The last decent post was by Dave F back in
> February.

I have some low carb resipes on my blog. Searching on low carb and or
dieting will find them. I made cabbage rolls last night which recipe is on
there. They are as yummy (to me) as the real ones.

Storrmmee 08-04-2011 07:54 AM

I have something new to deal with

as with most health/allergy issues, many people prefer to not share and are
often reluctant to even in a food forum such as this as they are concerned
that others will rebuff them for talking about a health issue

Nad R 08-04-2011 08:33 AM

"Storrmmee" > wrote:
> as with most health/allergy issues, many people prefer to not share and are
> often reluctant to even in a food forum such as this as they are concerned
> that others will rebuff them for talking about a health issue
> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 13:49:24 -0500, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Once you get used to eating without flour, it's not all that difficult.
>>>
>>> Sorry you are having to deal with this but welcome to my world!
>>> And several others here too...

>> I'm not interested in low carbing, but I am interested in gluten free
>> meals. There are so many people here who don't eat gluten or wheat
>> for one reason or another, it would really be nice if more of them
>> posted about their gluten free meals. I know it's not so hard to go
>> gluten free, but it's kind of like not thinking about a pink elephant
>> after you've been told not to.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

I sometimes wonder if it is Genetically Modified wheat is the problem. It
seems more and more people are having problems with wheat. Mine started
around the mid 1980s. I never had food allergies as a kid growing up. I was
around thirty years old when I noticed I started to have skin problems.
Another ten years finding the cause was wheat. When I was younger in my
twenties no such problem. Then I could eat all the pizza I want without
problems. It could also be wearing out the digestive tract. But still it
seems younger people are having the same problems concerning wheat. GMO's ?

Ophelia[_7_] 08-04-2011 10:07 AM

"Omelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 22:40:02 -0500, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > There are some low carbing support lists on usenet that I've hung out
>> > on
>> > from time to time to get ideas. It was handy. I picked up stuff there
>> > that I'd never thought of. alt.support.diet.low-carb

>> I looked at that tonight. Pretty boring, nothing of interest recipe
>> or even meal-wise. The last decent post was by Dave F back in
>> February.

> Hm, that used to be a pretty active list. Try sci.med.nutrition
> That was a commonly cross-posted list for the low carb list.

I used to post there and there were some knowledgeable and friendly posters.
I posted there last year and got a grumpy response from a couple of people
and that was that

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

projectile vomit chick[_3_] 08-04-2011 04:08 PM

On Apr 7, 12:22*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 07/04/2011 11:09 AM, Nan wrote:
>
> > I am trying to drop some weight so I am doing low carb/ Primal/Paleo.
> > I was on this for about 10 days when I made some fried chicken.
> > Lightly floured with spices, like I've been doing for over 40 years.
> > I knew the flour wasn't Primal, but on 4 pieces of chicken lighty
> > floured, no batter, no egg....how much flour could there be?

> You're trying to drop weight and you are worried about the amount of
> flour in fried chicken? *I hate to be the one to break it to you, but
> four pieces of fried chicken is not a short cut to weight loss.

LMAO

projectile vomit chick[_3_] 08-04-2011 04:11 PM

On Apr 7, 10:26*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:06:36 -0700 (PDT), Nan wrote:

> >> If you've been on a low carb diet long enough for it to be working, every
> >> time you splurge on carbs this will happen. Count on it. Dropping off for
> >> a weekend just isn't worth it. You either do it or forget it.

> > I'm doing it!! *We were finishing up things in the house, and when DH
> > brought
> > home the chicken wings he was so happy to be contributing to our new
> > way of eating, I just couldn't disappoint him. *He did say yesterday
> > he could
> > see that I was uncomfortable and if it didn't go away I should go to
> > Dr. He
> > NEVER says I should go to Dr. * I'm doing all the reading I can on
> > this
> > and will keep it up.

> That doesn't jive with your story that you MADE the chicken.

Try cutting the tablets in half next time.

Doug Freyburger 08-04-2011 06:47 PM

Giusi wrote:

> You are not gluten intolerant

That's unknown at this point but it remains among the valid guesses. It
will take some experiementing to discover what exactly the issue is.

> but have dieted long enough to have lost the
> enzymes to handle those carbs

That adjustment happens but not this fast.

> You can slowly add back high fiber, whole grain in small amounts once close
> to finishing your goal, but for now, if you eat carbs you will get a gut
> ache.

On Atkins that is a part of the standard sequence of events in the later
phases. She's not on Atkins but following a similar pattern of events.

Doug Freyburger 08-04-2011 07:05 PM

Omelet wrote:

> Hm, that used to be a pretty active list.

Before the low carb fad, ASDLC and other low carb forums had good
traffic. Then an explosion during the fad. After the fad memory of the
fad killed the discussion, and folks around befor ethe fad had already
worked through most of their own issues.

> Try sci.med.nutrition
> That was a commonly cross-posted list for the low carb list.

It's also a "low fat or the highway" group.

Doug Freyburger 08-04-2011 07:10 PM

Nad R wrote:

> I sometimes wonder if it is Genetically Modified wheat is the problem. It
> seems more and more people are having problems with wheat. Mine started
> around the mid 1980s. I never had food allergies as a kid growing up. I was
> around thirty years old when I noticed I started to have skin problems.
> Another ten years finding the cause was wheat. When I was younger in my
> twenties no such problem. Then I could eat all the pizza I want without
> problems. It could also be wearing out the digestive tract. But still it
> seems younger people are having the same problems concerning wheat. GMO's ?

In my case I've had bad digestion going back as far as I can remember
and there are reports of my grandfather having the exact same cough. I
predate GMO crops. He died in the early 1950s.

Based on that my bias is I think it's the stress on low fat and calling
pasta heathly in spite of the trivial observation that families that use
a lot of pasta in the US have always tended to be fatter than average.

GMO may well be making it worse. I'm too biased on the topic to be able
to judge.

Mark Thorson 08-04-2011 09:03 PM

Sqwertz wrote:

> That doesn't jive with your story that you MADE the chicken.

The word is "jibe".

ImStillMags 08-04-2011 09:53 PM

Nad R 08-04-2011 10:01 PM

Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> Nad R wrote:
>>
>> I sometimes wonder if it is Genetically Modified wheat is the problem. It
>> seems more and more people are having problems with wheat. Mine started
>> around the mid 1980s. I never had food allergies as a kid growing up. I was
>> around thirty years old when I noticed I started to have skin problems.
>> Another ten years finding the cause was wheat. When I was younger in my
>> twenties no such problem. Then I could eat all the pizza I want without
>> problems. It could also be wearing out the digestive tract. But still it
>> seems younger people are having the same problems concerning wheat. GMO's ?

> In my case I've had bad digestion going back as far as I can remember
> and there are reports of my grandfather having the exact same cough. I
> predate GMO crops. He died in the early 1950s.
>
> Based on that my bias is I think it's the stress on low fat and calling
> pasta heathly in spite of the trivial observation that families that use
> a lot of pasta in the US have always tended to be fatter than average.
>
> GMO may well be making it worse. I'm too biased on the topic to be able
> to judge.

in my case, I do not know. I tested negative for wheat allergies, showed no
indication of celiac disease from the colon biopsies. The biopsy is suppose
to be the gold standard test for celiac. From some books I have read it
could be the leaky gut theory, gluten can go directly into the blood stream
without going though the colon. I have about five books on gluten free
diets and one medical book on the celiac disease. The two best books in my
opinion are the " gluten free cooking and the gluten free living for
DUMMIES. I find these two DUMMIES books are not written by dummies.

However, I find it may be gluten and not just wheat. When I make my own
homemade breads I do not have a strong reaction. When I buy mass
manufactured bread I tend to have a stronger skin reaction redness on my
face and knuckles. I believe many companies add gluten to their products,
reminds me of the dog food problem years back. I am especially careful not
to buy anything with added gluten.

I also have another theory, that I do have sky high triglycerides. When I
went on a strict gluten free diet for six months my triglycerides was cut
in half and just on the borderline high. So it maybe a connection between
wheat and triglycerides. I still eat my own homemade breads and consume
less wheat products.

From one book, smoking or nicotine patches can block the problems of gluten
in the diet. Page 74 "Celiac Disease: a hidden epidemic" by Peter Green,
MD.
But the book states your substituting one problem for something much worse.

Good Luck...

ImStillMags 08-04-2011 10:54 PM

I have something new to deal with

On Apr 8, 2:01*pm, Nad R > wrote:

Well, I'm going to give going gluten free a shot.... so I've been
poking around a bit to find blogs and recipes from people
who have found ways to make things that don't taste like cardboard.

I found this , looks interesting.

http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/members/

I'm going to experiment with some crackers this weekend and see what I
come up with. The gluten free crackers I bought
this week sucked, really sucked. Mary's Gone
Crackers .......blech. awful.

I'm a good cook, I can make much better than that dreck.

Doug Freyburger 08-04-2011 10:56 PM

Sqwertz wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> That doesn't jive with your story that you MADE the chicken.

>> The word is "jibe".

> Can I claim it was a typo?

Only if you're playing the correct scene from the movie "Airplane" in
the background. ;^)

sf[_9_] 08-04-2011 11:04 PM

I have something new to deal with

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 14:54:52 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2:01*pm, Nad R > wrote:
>

> Well, I'm going to give going gluten free a shot.... so I've been
> poking around a bit to find blogs and recipes from people
> who have found ways to make things that don't taste like cardboard.
>
> I found this , looks interesting.
>
> http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/members/
>
> I'm going to experiment with some crackers this weekend and see what I
> come up with. The gluten free crackers I bought
> this week sucked, really sucked. Mary's Gone
> Crackers .......blech. awful.
>
> I'm a good cook, I can make much better than that dreck.

Look around for Crunchmaster Multi-Seed Crackers. I love those things
and I don't need to watch my gluten intake.

Nad R 08-04-2011 11:47 PM

sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 14:54:52 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>> On Apr 8, 2:01 pm, Nad R > wrote:
>>

>> Well, I'm going to give going gluten free a shot.... so I've been
>> poking around a bit to find blogs and recipes from people
>> who have found ways to make things that don't taste like cardboard.
>>
>> I found this , looks interesting.
>>
>> http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/members/
>>
>> I'm going to experiment with some crackers this weekend and see what I
>> come up with. The gluten free crackers I bought
>> this week sucked, really sucked. Mary's Gone
>> Crackers .......blech. awful.
>>
>> I'm a good cook, I can make much better than that dreck.
>>

> Look around for Crunchmaster Multi-Seed Crackers. I love those things
> and I don't need to watch my gluten intake.

I would give up on the baking substitute for wheat. Corn tortillas in my
book would be the choice for bread substitute. Forget about the baking and
just focus on cooking. Corn pasta taste better than wheat pasta. Corn will
become the main grain with rice a close second. Mexican and Asian cuisine
will be your foundations to a gluten free diet.

sf[_9_] 08-04-2011 11:56 PM

I have something new to deal with

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 22:47:47 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

> I would give up on the baking substitute for wheat. Corn tortillas in my
> book would be the choice for bread substitute. Forget about the baking and
> just focus on cooking.

Agreed. Most "gluten free" look alikes look just awful... like the
gluten free donuts or bagels - I forget what it was but it was a
gloppy mess to look at.

> Corn pasta taste better than wheat pasta. Corn will
> become the main grain with rice a close second. Mexican and Asian cuisine
> will be your foundations to a gluten free diet.

I spotted quinoa based pasta the other day and told son about it.
Turned out he already knew about the product and thinks it tastes
better than wheat. So look for that if you haven't seen it already.

Storrmmee 09-04-2011 03:42 AM

I have something new to deal with

i am extremely in your progress, recipes, how you feel about it emotionally,
the whole thing, dealing with food issues successfully is just facinating to
me, and it is a testiment to the will of the human spirit to cope and eat
well... Lee

Storrmmee 09-04-2011 03:44 AM

I have something new to deal with

i never heard of corn pasta? brands? where purchased? thanks, Lee

sf[_9_] 09-04-2011 04:07 AM

I have something new to deal with

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 21:44:37 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

> i never heard of corn pasta? brands? where purchased? thanks, Lee

I've seen it. My green grocer stocks it. Have you ever seen quinoa
pasta?

http://www.gluten-free-diet-help.com...ree-pasta.html

Storrmmee 09-04-2011 05:44 AM

I have something new to deal with

have seen the grain but not the pasta, will start looking for it, Lee

Nad R 09-04-2011 06:20 AM

sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 21:44:37 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>> i never heard of corn pasta? brands? where purchased? thanks, Lee

> I've seen it. My green grocer stocks it. Have you ever seen quinoa
> pasta?
>
> http://www.gluten-free-diet-help.com...ree-pasta.html

http://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Leepers-Pa.../dp/B000LKVGV6

I liked the brand by Mrs Leepers. Look for it in the health food section at
your local super market. It is much better than wheat pasta. The corn pasta
i believe is organic. Even if you could eat wheat pasta, I doubt you will
per bag.

Almost every grocery store today has a section for gluten free products. If
their is a local "whole foods market" in your area they will have two full
isles of gluten free bread substitute products. However, most of chex
cereals line are gluten free also.

There are many gluten free products that may taste great but may have so
many exotic chemicals and high in fat that it may not be healthy also. Read
the labels.

If your looking for recipes try: http://www.celiac.com/

Now a Celiac cannot have dairy as well as wheat. A gluten free only diet
can have dairy products. As for me dairy has never bothered me. I even have
my own dairy cow named Bessy. Remember, I still eat some wheat products
knowing it does bother me. Pizza is still that most elusive addictive drug.