Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Prep time: 10 minutes

Now and then I come across a recipe that suggests that the time involved is
10 minutes - or some other ridiculous span. Wonder who does the timing?
Usually it takes me that long to just line the ingredients up on the kitchen
counter. Measuring, mincing and getting the pliers to remove a safety seal
on something takes some more minutes. Assuming that the dish eventually
gets going on/in the stove, there's putting away everything and clean-up.
Is the prep time suggestion useful to anyone? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 09:28:52 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>Now and then I come across a recipe that suggests that the time involved is
>10 minutes - or some other ridiculous span. Wonder who does the timing?
>Usually it takes me that long to just line the ingredients up on the kitchen
>counter. Measuring, mincing and getting the pliers to remove a safety seal
>on something takes some more minutes. Assuming that the dish eventually
>gets going on/in the stove, there's putting away everything and clean-up.
>Is the prep time suggestion useful to anyone? Polly

The prep time is for entertainment purposes only. They should list a
clean up time. I might be able to make some of the prep times but it
would triple my clean-up tiime.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 09:28:52 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> Now and then I come across a recipe that suggests that the time involved is
> 10 minutes - or some other ridiculous span. Wonder who does the timing?
> Usually it takes me that long to just line the ingredients up on the kitchen
> counter. Measuring, mincing and getting the pliers to remove a safety seal
> on something takes some more minutes. Assuming that the dish eventually
> gets going on/in the stove, there's putting away everything and clean-up.
> Is the prep time suggestion useful to anyone? Polly

I presume it's someone with a staff that does everything except the
actual cooking part.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Now and then I come across a recipe that suggests that the time involved
> is 10 minutes - or some other ridiculous span. Wonder who does the
> timing? Usually it takes me that long to just line the ingredients up on
> the kitchen counter. Measuring, mincing and getting the pliers to remove
> a safety seal on something takes some more minutes. Assuming that the
> dish eventually gets going on/in the stove, there's putting away
> everything and clean-up. Is the prep time suggestion useful to anyone?
> Polly

I find the same to be true. Perhaps they are assuming we are buying things
already cut up?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 07/04/2011 16:28, Polly Esther ha scritto:

> Now and then I come across a recipe that suggests that the time involved
> is 10 minutes - or some other ridiculous span. Wonder who does the
> timing? Usually it takes me that long to just line the ingredients up on
> the kitchen counter. Measuring, mincing and getting the pliers to remove
> a safety seal on something takes some more minutes. Assuming that the
> dish eventually gets going on/in the stove, there's putting away
> everything and clean-up. Is the prep time suggestion useful to anyone?

It's for those recipes a-la: "pop you frozen eal out of the freezer and
put it in the microwave, smoke a cigarette, realize you didn't turn on
the MW, turn it on and wait 5 more minutes to get the thing out of the
MW. 10 minutes "
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 09:28:52 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>Now and then I come across a recipe that suggests that the time involved is
>10 minutes - or some other ridiculous span. Wonder who does the timing?
>Usually it takes me that long to just line the ingredients up on the kitchen
>counter. Measuring, mincing and getting the pliers to remove a safety seal
>on something takes some more minutes. Assuming that the dish eventually
>gets going on/in the stove, there's putting away everything and clean-up.
>Is the prep time suggestion useful to anyone? Polly

Minutes schminutes... and yet yoose gals expect us guys to open and
roll on a condom in less than five seconds. hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 10:28*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> Is the prep time suggestion useful to anyone? * Polly

Only as a guestimate. I bet they don't bother to time in the cleaning
up of the dropped egg on the floor or a counter wipedown. It does
give me a rough idea of when to start the recipe vis a vis getting
supper on the table by 6.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/04/2011 10:28 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
> Now and then I come across a recipe that suggests that the time involved
> is 10 minutes - or some other ridiculous span. Wonder who does the
> timing? Usually it takes me that long to just line the ingredients up on
> the kitchen counter. Measuring, mincing and getting the pliers to remove
> a safety seal on something takes some more minutes. Assuming that the
> dish eventually gets going on/in the stove, there's putting away
> everything and clean-up. Is the prep time suggestion useful to anyone?

I think that the prep time estimates are based on the time it would take
a competent person to find and prepare the ingredients. Some people are
faster than others. I tend to work quickly in the kitchen. I multi task,
heating things up while I am working on others. My wife has recently
started cooking one of her favourite dishes that I alwys usede to cook
fore her, Thai curried chicken with coconut milk. I start the rice and
it takes 15 minutes from the time it starts to boil. I like it to sit
for at least 5 minutes after it is done. I start working on the chicken
once the rice is started, so it takes me 20 minutes to prepare that
meal. It takes my wife more than an hour to do the same dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 17:06:57 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 07/04/2011 10:28 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
>> Now and then I come across a recipe that suggests that the time involved
>> is 10 minutes - or some other ridiculous span. Wonder who does the
>> timing? Usually it takes me that long to just line the ingredients up on
>> the kitchen counter. Measuring, mincing and getting the pliers to remove
>> a safety seal on something takes some more minutes. Assuming that the
>> dish eventually gets going on/in the stove, there's putting away
>> everything and clean-up. Is the prep time suggestion useful to anyone?

>I think that the prep time estimates are based on the time it would take
>a competent person to find and prepare the ingredients. Some people are
>faster than others. I tend to work quickly in the kitchen. I multi task,
>heating things up while I am working on others. My wife has recently
>started cooking one of her favourite dishes that I alwys usede to cook
>fore her, Thai curried chicken with coconut milk. I start the rice and
>it takes 15 minutes from the time it starts to boil. I like it to sit
>for at least 5 minutes after it is done. I start working on the chicken
>once the rice is started, so it takes me 20 minutes to prepare that
>meal. It takes my wife more than an hour to do the same dish.

Obviously a hint that she'd like more foreplay
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 10:58*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 09:28:52 -0500, "Polly Esther"
>
> > wrote:
> > Now and then I come across a recipe that suggests that the time involved is
> > 10 minutes - or some other ridiculous span. *Wonder who does the timing?
> > Usually it takes me that long to just line the ingredients up on the kitchen
> > counter. *Measuring, mincing and getting the pliers to remove a safety seal
> > on something takes some more minutes. *Assuming that the dish eventually
> > gets going on/in the stove, there's putting away everything and clean-up.
> > Is the prep time suggestion useful to anyone? * Polly

> I presume it's someone with a staff that does everything except the
> actual cooking part.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "staff."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nope