Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default chili question

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 21:48:24 -0700, isw > wrote:

> So the answer is, yes, you can use any pepper that you like -- or that
> you have on hand -- but don't expect that the resulting dish will taste
> as it "should".

I guess you know as much as anyone, Isaac... so what exactly is that
unspecified "red chili powder" supposed to be? No brand name or
pepper types are suggested. Here's the recipe

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

1. Heat 2 tsp. oil and saute a large minced onion with salt and
pepper.

2. Add the following and saute for 2 minutes:

* 1 chopped tomato
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 tsp. Sri Lankan curry powder (or your favorite masala)
* 1 tsp. paprika
* 1 tsp. red chili powder (optional, but the heat contrasts well
with sweet squash)

3. Add cubed butternut squash (4 cups or so, half of a medium squash)
and saute for 2 minutes.

4. Add 1 cup thick coconut milk and 2 to 3 cups water or vegetable
stock. Simmer for 10 minutes.

5. Blend the soup using an immersion blender. Garnish if fresh herbs
if desired and serve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 21:48:24 -0700, isw > wrote:
>
> > So the answer is, yes, you can use any pepper that you like -- or that
> > you have on hand -- but don't expect that the resulting dish will taste
> > as it "should".

> I guess you know as much as anyone, Isaac... so what exactly is that
> unspecified "red chili powder" supposed to be? No brand name or
> pepper types are suggested. Here's the recipe

> * 1 tsp. red chili powder (optional, but the heat contrasts well
> with sweet squash)

Based on the description and commentary, it does sound like it may be
referring to cayenne pepper as a basic heat component. The typical chili
powders we think of usually aren't particularly hot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2011 12:17 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 21:48:24 -0700, > wrote:
>
>> So the answer is, yes, you can use any pepper that you like -- or that
>> you have on hand -- but don't expect that the resulting dish will taste
>> as it "should".

> I guess you know as much as anyone, Isaac... so what exactly is that
> unspecified "red chili powder" supposed to be? No brand name or
> pepper types are suggested. Here's the recipe

From the recipe, I think they're referring to the chili powder
mixture sold in the US, which is a mixture of powdered chilis plus
other seasonings. The name refers more to its common usage (to flavor
the dish known as chili) than to its specific composition. As The
Spice House says,

"Chile pepper is often confused with chili powder. When a recipe
refers to chile pepper, this means pure chile pepper. The most
commonly used is the ancho pepper in its ground form. A chili powder,
on the other hand, is a mixture of ingredients. All of our chili
powders are salt free, mixed 1500 times by hand and triple sifted to
achieve exactly the right flavor and color combination; use 1-3 Tblsp.
per quart of chili, to suit your preference. Ingredients: sweet ancho
chile pepper, cumin, garlic, and powdered Mexican oregano. Medium
chili powder adds cayenne pepper and paprika; hot chili powder adds
cayenne and hot crushed red pepper."

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/...t-chili-powder
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 21:48:24 -0700, isw > wrote:
>
> > So the answer is, yes, you can use any pepper that you like -- or that
> > you have on hand -- but don't expect that the resulting dish will taste
> > as it "should".

> I guess you know as much as anyone, Isaac... so what exactly is that
> unspecified "red chili powder" supposed to be? No brand name or
> pepper types are suggested.

No idea, but with only a teaspoon called for, and the phrase "optional,
but the heat contrasts well with sweet squash", I'd be inclined to use
cayenne.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Hell Toupee > wrote:

> On 4/4/2011 12:17 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 21:48:24 -0700, > wrote:
> >
> >> So the answer is, yes, you can use any pepper that you like -- or that
> >> you have on hand -- but don't expect that the resulting dish will taste
> >> as it "should".

> > I guess you know as much as anyone, Isaac... so what exactly is that
> > unspecified "red chili powder" supposed to be? No brand name or
> > pepper types are suggested. Here's the recipe

> From the recipe, I think they're referring to the chili powder
> mixture sold in the US, which is a mixture of powdered chilis plus
> other seasonings.

That doesn't jibe with the statement that one teaspoon adds "heat" that
contrasts with the sweet of the squash.

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 22:56:32 -0700, isw > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 21:48:24 -0700, isw > wrote:
> >
> > > So the answer is, yes, you can use any pepper that you like -- or that
> > > you have on hand -- but don't expect that the resulting dish will taste
> > > as it "should".

> > I guess you know as much as anyone, Isaac... so what exactly is that
> > unspecified "red chili powder" supposed to be? No brand name or
> > pepper types are suggested.

> No idea, but with only a teaspoon called for, and the phrase "optional,
> but the heat contrasts well with sweet squash", I'd be inclined to use
> cayenne.

That's all I need to know, thanks.

chili question Elder General Cooking 13 06-04-2011 05:33 PM
chili question sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 04-04-2011 07:46 PM
chili question Dan Abel General Cooking 0 04-04-2011 04:18 PM
Chili question (Or maybe it should be chile question) Rich General Cooking 11 16-06-2006 03:44 AM
A really dumb chili question? Ruddell General Cooking 28 25-03-2006 01:51 AM