Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Blueberry muffin secret?

There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be emptied.
I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry muffins really
terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would love to know what
makes the difference in good and great. I've tried using brown sugar and
adding lemon in one form and another. Please don't violate your great aunt
Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but what is the special spoonful
that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah Chorus? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly wrote:

> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be emptied.
> I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry muffins really
> terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would love to know what
> makes the difference in good and great. I've tried using brown sugar and
> adding lemon in one form and another. Please don't violate your great
> aunt Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but what is the special
> spoonful that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah Chorus? Polly

A teaspoon of lemon zest.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Polly Esther" > wrote:

> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be emptied.
> I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry muffins really
> terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would love to know what
> makes the difference in good and great. I've tried using brown sugar and
> adding lemon in one form and another. Please don't violate your great aunt
> Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but what is the special spoonful
> that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah Chorus? Polly

Marijuana.

Actually, I like to sprinkle a little coarse sugar on top just before
putting them in the oven. I have a bag of turbinado that I have been
using for such things lately.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in
:

> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be
> emptied. I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry
> muffins really terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would
> love to know what makes the difference in good and great. I've tried
> using brown sugar and adding lemon in one form and another. Please
> don't violate your great aunt Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything
> but what is the special spoonful that makes a blueberry sing the
> Hallelujah Chorus? Polly

Use Butavan.

Buy it online here.........

http://www.earlenescakes-store.com/c...category_id=62

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

Nothing ever truely dies
the Universe wastes nothing
everything is simply... transformed
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Polly wrote:
>> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be emptied.
>> I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry muffins really
>> terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would love to know what
>> makes the difference in good and great. I've tried using brown sugar and
>> adding lemon in one form and another. Please don't violate your great
>> aunt Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but what is the special
>> spoonful that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah Chorus? Polly

> Bob Terwilliger" > A teaspoon of lemon zest.

I've tried lemon zest, Bob. Do you think maybe the freshness of the lemons
would make a difference? It just could be that my lemons were kinda wimpy.
Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly asked:

There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be emptied.
I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry muffins really
terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would love to know what
makes the difference in good and great. I've tried using brown sugar and
adding lemon in one form and another. Please don't violate your great aunt
Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but what is the special spoonful
that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah Chorus? Polly

"Dan Abel" <wrote > Marijuana.

> Actually, I like to sprinkle a little coarse sugar on top just before
> putting them in the oven. I have a bag of turbinado that I have been
> using for such things lately.
>
>>Nice suggestion, Dan. In my much younger days, I did the inventory for
>>the Narcotics Squad and could have done the suspicious leafy green
>>substance addition. OTOH, I do have a special bag of sparkling flaky
>>white sugar - maybe from Penzey's or King Arthur - and it certainly would
>>make the muffins special. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"I'm back." > wrote in
5:

> "Polly Esther" > wrote in
> :
>
>> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be
>> emptied. I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry
>> muffins really terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would
>> love to know what makes the difference in good and great. I've tried
>> using brown sugar and adding lemon in one form and another. Please
>> don't violate your great aunt Phoebe's death bed confessions or

anything
>> but what is the special spoonful that makes a blueberry sing the
>> Hallelujah Chorus? Polly
>>

> Use Butavan.
>
> Buy it online here.........
>
> http://www.earlenescakes-store.com/c...y&category_id=

62

And a recipe........

http://www.50-yardline.com/blueberries.pdf

http://www.50-yardline.com/details.html

"50 Yard Line Blueberry Muffin Recipe
The 50 Yard Line Steakhouse is happy to make our Blueberry Muffin Recipe
available for our customers. The recipe calls for a "Secret Ingredient"
that we have used for many years to make our muffins extrodinary. That
"Secret Ingredient" is now available to purchase for you to use in your
home. Butavan is the "Secret Ingredient" that gives our muffins that
distenctive flavor. It can be purchased at the steakhouse for $12.00 per
pint, or $45.00 per gallon. PRINT our Blueberry Muffin Recipe"

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

Nothing ever truely dies
the Universe wastes nothing
everything is simply... transformed
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 12:16*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be emptied.
> I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry muffins really
> terrific. *

Pure almond extract is wonderful and delicate. It just works with any
fruit baked good. Try it soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/04/2011 12:16 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be
> emptied. I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry
> muffins really terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would
> love to know what makes the difference in good and great. I've tried
> using brown sugar and adding lemon in one form and another. Please don't
> violate your great aunt Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but
> what is the special spoonful that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah
> Chorus? Polly

I just use the usual muffin recipe and toss the frozen blueberries into
the dry ingredients before mixing with the wet. That cuts down on the
juice leeching into the batter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 23:16:29 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be emptied.
>I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry muffins really
>terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would love to know what
>makes the difference in good and great. I've tried using brown sugar and
>adding lemon in one form and another. Please don't violate your great aunt
>Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but what is the special spoonful
>that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah Chorus? Polly

With blueberries less is more.... you want nothing that competes with
the flavor of blueberries... add lots of whipping cream to your muffin
batter... and NEVER use paper liners for muffins.

This will work with amy kind of berries:
http://www.raspberry-depot.com/mothe...y-recipes.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 12:16*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be emptied.
> I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry muffins really
> terrific. *I don't need a recipe or method; just would love to know what
> makes the difference in good and great. *I've tried using brown sugar and
> adding lemon in one form and another. *Please don't violate your great aunt
> Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but what is the special spoonful
> thatings they call muffins. makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah Chorus? *Polly

Make sure your dry ingredients equal a decent MUFFIN, and nix on those
cake-like things they call muffins in the bakeries and suprmkts.
My muffins are more than 60% whole wheat, so there's some body to em.

I add a tsp. of lemon zest or sometimes orange.

Sprinkle a tiny bit of sugar on the berries before you add to the
batter.

I quit using the nonstick tins too and those papers. I just rub a tad
oil on the tins with a paper towel.

I bake em at 420, then after they are safe to remove from the tins,
they go on a cooling rack, then back into the cooling off oven til a
nice crisp outer shell is formed. I hate those things from the
supermkt which stick to yer fingers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 10:25:50 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 03/04/2011 12:16 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
>> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be
>> emptied. I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry
>> muffins really terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would
>> love to know what makes the difference in good and great. I've tried
>> using brown sugar and adding lemon in one form and another. Please don't
>> violate your great aunt Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but
>> what is the special spoonful that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah
>> Chorus? Polly

>I just use the usual muffin recipe and toss the frozen blueberries into
>the dry ingredients before mixing with the wet. That cuts down on the
>juice leeching into the batter.

Soon as you start mixing you'd have totally blue batter... frozen
berries don't really work well for muffins, at least not visually,
they're too juicy. I'd use those frozen blueberries to make danish
pastry filling, blueberry pie/tart filling, great for blueberry ice
cream. Nowadays for muffins it's best to use freeze dried
blueberries, even better than fresh. Nowadays freeze dried berries of
all types are less expensive than fresh, they use no freezer space,
and they have a long shelf life. I read somewhere recently that more
than half the US strawberry crop is freeze dried... peruse the dried
cereals aisle and see where many go.
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/fre...slargecan.aspx
Check out all Honeyville's freeze dried fruit/veggies.
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/freezedriedfruits.aspx
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/fre...egetables.aspx
Their freeze dried 'shrooms seem like they'd be handy to have, and
their freeze dried broccoli sounds interesting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/2/2011 10:16 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be
> emptied. I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry
> muffins really terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would
> love to know what makes the difference in good and great. I've tried
> using brown sugar and adding lemon in one form and another. Please don't
> violate your great aunt Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but
> what is the special spoonful that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah
> Chorus? Polly

You need to specify what you are looking for--a carboardy, HEALTHY
muffin, or a light, fluffy, unhealthy cakey delicious one. Can you tell
my preference? ;-)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/04/2011 12:30 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> I just use the usual muffin recipe and toss the frozen blueberries into
>> the dry ingredients before mixing with the wet. That cuts down on the
>> juice leeching into the batter.

> Soon as you start mixing you'd have totally blue batter... frozen
> berries don't really work well for muffins, at least not visually,
> they're too juicy.

That's why I add them frozen to the dry ingredients. The flour sticks
to the berries and reduces the colour bleed.

I'd use those frozen blueberries to make danish
> pastry filling, blueberry pie/tart filling, great for blueberry ice
> cream. Nowadays for muffins it's best to use freeze dried
> blueberries, even better than fresh. Nowadays freeze dried berries of
> all types are less expensive than fresh, they use no freezer space,
> and they have a long shelf life. I read somewhere recently that more
> than half the US strawberry crop is freeze dried... peruse the dried
> cereals aisle and see where many go.
> http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/fre...slargecan.aspx
> Check out all Honeyville's freeze dried fruit/veggies.
> http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/freezedriedfruits.aspx
> http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/fre...egetables.aspx
> Their freeze dried 'shrooms seem like they'd be handy to have, and
> their freeze dried broccoli sounds interesting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 12:30:47 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

snip

>Soon as you start mixing you'd have totally blue batter... frozen
>berries don't really work well for muffins, at least not visually,
>they're too juicy.

As long as the blueberries are added frozen to the dry ingredients and
the batter receives no more than 1- 15 strokes to mix, the batter will
not be blue. That is, if you are making real muffins, not tiny cakes.
Anything you have to beat with a mixer will make blue batter.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Apr 3, 12:16 am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
>> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be emptied.
>> I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry muffins really
>> terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would love to know what
>> makes the difference in good and great. I've tried using brown sugar and
>> adding lemon in one form and another. Please don't violate your great
>> aunt
>> Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but what is the special
>> spoonful
>> thatings they call muffins. makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah Chorus?
>> Polly

> Make sure your dry ingredients equal a decent MUFFIN, and nix on those
> cake-like things they call muffins in the bakeries and suprmkts.
> My muffins are more than 60% whole wheat, so there's some body to em.
>
> I add a tsp. of lemon zest or sometimes orange.
>
> Sprinkle a tiny bit of sugar on the berries before you add to the
> batter.
>
> I quit using the nonstick tins too and those papers. I just rub a tad
> oil on the tins with a paper towel.
>
> I bake em at 420, then after they are safe to remove from the tins,
> they go on a cooling rack, then back into the cooling off oven til a
> nice crisp outer shell is formed. I hate those things from the
> supermkt which stick to yer fingers.

Kalmia, please will you give us your complete recipe?

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 4/2/2011 10:16 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
>> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be
>> emptied. I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry
>> muffins really terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would
>> love to know what makes the difference in good and great. I've tried
>> using brown sugar and adding lemon in one form and another. Please don't
>> violate your great aunt Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but
>> what is the special spoonful that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah
>> Chorus? Polly

> You need to specify what you are looking for--a carboardy, HEALTHY muffin,
> or a light, fluffy, unhealthy cakey delicious one. Can you tell my
> preference? ;-)

Share your recipe too please, Gloria?

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:
> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be
> emptied. I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry
> muffins really terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would
> love to know what makes the difference in good and great. I've tried
> using brown sugar and adding lemon in one form and another. Please
> don't violate your great aunt Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything
> but what is the special spoonful that makes a blueberry sing the
> Hallelujah Chorus? Polly

Butter. Tons of blueberries--but they will fall apart if eaten
fairly fresh from the oven. Actually MY secret (as with my
blueberry pie) is to add some chopped cranberries, so the things
aren't just sweet. Lemon, as Bob T. mentioned, is also a great
addition.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Apr 3, 12:16 am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
>> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be emptied.
>> I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry muffins really
>> terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would love to know what
>> makes the difference in good and great. I've tried using brown sugar and
>> adding lemon in one form and another. Please don't violate your great aunt
>> Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but what is the special spoonful
>> thatings they call muffins. makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah Chorus? Polly

> Make sure your dry ingredients equal a decent MUFFIN, and nix on those
> cake-like things they call muffins in the bakeries and suprmkts.
> My muffins are more than 60% whole wheat, so there's some body to em.
>
> I add a tsp. of lemon zest or sometimes orange.
>
> Sprinkle a tiny bit of sugar on the berries before you add to the
> batter.
>
> I quit using the nonstick tins too and those papers. I just rub a tad
> oil on the tins with a paper towel.
>
> I bake em at 420, then after they are safe to remove from the tins,
> they go on a cooling rack, then back into the cooling off oven til a
> nice crisp outer shell is formed. I hate those things from the
> supermkt which stick to yer fingers.

Ahhh. I have been known to cut them and half and crisp them. :-)
I love the outer crust.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> On 4/2/2011 10:16 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
>> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be
>> emptied. I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry
>> muffins really terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would
>> love to know what makes the difference in good and great. I've tried
>> using brown sugar and adding lemon in one form and another. Please don't
>> violate your great aunt Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but
>> what is the special spoonful that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah
>> Chorus? Polly

> You need to specify what you are looking for--a carboardy, HEALTHY
> muffin, or a light, fluffy, unhealthy cakey delicious one. Can you tell
> my preference? ;-)
>
> gloria p

Yes. Luckily, we are allowed to differ on that.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2011 11:24 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "gloria.p" > wrote in message
>> On 4/2/2011 10:16 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
>>> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be
>>> emptied. I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry
>>> muffins really terrific. I don't need a recipe or method; just would
>>> love to know what makes the difference in good and great. I've tried
>>> using brown sugar and adding lemon in one form and another. Please don't
>>> violate your great aunt Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but
>>> what is the special spoonful that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah
>>> Chorus? Polly

>> You need to specify what you are looking for--a carboardy, HEALTHY
>> muffin, or a light, fluffy, unhealthy cakey delicious one. Can you
>> tell my preference? ;-)

> Share your recipe too please, Gloria?

Alas, I've never found one I really like.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 4/3/2011 11:24 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> You need to specify what you are looking for--a carboardy, HEALTHY
>>> muffin, or a light, fluffy, unhealthy cakey delicious one. Can you
>>> tell my preference? ;-)

>> Share your recipe too please, Gloria?
>>

> Alas, I've never found one I really like.

( I have never made a muffin and have been looking around for recipes.
After your comment I was hoping for some help. No matter, not your fault

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2011 1:21 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "gloria.p" > wrote in message

>>> Share your recipe too please, Gloria?
>>>

>> Alas, I've never found one I really like.

> ( I have never made a muffin and have been looking around for recipes.
> After your comment I was hoping for some help. No matter, not your fault

Actually years ago I Googled one that as referenced he
"Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins" (supposedly from the Boston store's
bakery) and I thought it was worth while making, but not exceptional.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

>>> Alas, I've never found one I really like.

>> ( I have never made a muffin and have been looking around for recipes.
>> After your comment I was hoping for some help. No matter, not your
>> fault
>>

> Actually years ago I Googled one that as referenced he
> "Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins" (supposedly from the Boston store's
> bakery) and I thought it was worth while making, but not exceptional.

Thank you, m'dear, I shall have a wee look

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> ( I have never made a muffin and have been looking around for
> recipes. After your comment I was hoping for some help. No matter,
> not your fault

Hello, O! You might like to take a look at this site:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/muffins/muffinrecipes.html

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 2, 11:48*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> > Polly wrote:
> >> There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be emptied.
> >> I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry muffins really
> >> terrific. *I don't need a recipe or method; just would love to know what
> >> makes the difference in good and great. *I've tried using brown sugar and
> >> adding lemon in one form and another. *Please don't violate your great
> >> aunt Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but what is the special
> >> spoonful that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah Chorus? *Polly

> > Bob Terwilliger" > A teaspoon of lemon zest.

> I've tried lemon zest, Bob. *Do you think maybe the freshness of the lemons
> would make a difference? *It just could be that my lemons were kinda wimpy.

Separate the eggs and beat the whites, then fold them in last, and
always use butter instead of oil.

Honestly, I've never tried this recipe, but it looks lovely:
http://www.howdoesshe.com/good-morning-blueberry-cake

> Polly

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 2, 11:31*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Polly Esther" > wrote:
>
> > There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be emptied.
> > I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry muffins really
> > terrific. *I don't need a recipe or method; just would love to know what
> > makes the difference in good and great. *I've tried using brown sugar and
> > adding lemon in one form and another. *Please don't violate your great aunt
> > Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but what is the special spoonful
> > that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah Chorus? *Polly

> Marijuana.

Marijuana tastes like crap in baked goods, well, it tastes like crap
cooked in anything.
If anyone really wants the effects of eating pot, I'd suggest getting
it wet, microwaving it, let it cool, then stuff it into 00 size gel
capsules and wash them down. I haven't eaten pot since I was about
15, and I didn't quit smoking it on a regular basis until I was 17.
There was a reason I didn't eat it again after the first time.
Nasty. Apparently, it needs to be cooked in order for one to get the
drug effect.

> --
> Dan Abel

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 13:19:09 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> Alas, I've never found one I really like.

Never found one of some particular flavor or in general?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 20:21:00 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> ( I have never made a muffin and have been looking around for recipes.
> After your comment I was hoping for some help. No matter, not your fault

Try this, Ophelia. I posted the recipe right after I made it.

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
makes 12 regular sized muffins

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon (to sprinkle on top of the muffins just
before they go into the oven)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 stick (1/4 pound) unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 teaspoon lemon zest

1. Mix dry ingredients together
2. Mix all wet ingredients together - except the melted butter
3. Add wet ingredients to dry

* If you want them even more lemony, add some lemon juice too.

Do not over mix... a few lumps are fine. The melted butter will
coagulate if you mix all the wet ingredients together first, so add it
separately from or alternating with the buttermilk mixture.

Bake 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Note: The muffins will not be very brown if you omit the sprinkle of
sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 5:24*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Apr 2, 11:31*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > *"Polly Esther" > wrote:

> > > There are gallons of blueberries in the freezer that needs to be emptied.
> > > I'm searching for the secret ingredient to make blueberry muffins really
> > > terrific. *I don't need a recipe or method; just would love to know what
> > > makes the difference in good and great. *I've tried using brown sugar and
> > > adding lemon in one form and another. *Please don't violate your great aunt
> > > Phoebe's death bed confessions or anything but what is the special spoonful
> > > that makes a blueberry sing the Hallelujah Chorus? *Polly

> > Marijuana.

> Marijuana tastes like crap in baked goods, well, it tastes like crap
> cooked in anything.
> If anyone really wants the effects of eating pot, I'd suggest getting
> it wet, microwaving it, let it cool, then stuff it into 00 size gel
> capsules and wash them down. *I haven't eaten pot since I was about
> 15, and I didn't quit smoking it on a regular basis until I was 17.
> There was a reason I didn't eat it again after the first time.
> Nasty. *Apparently, it needs to be cooked in order for one to get the
> drug effect.

I remember when Dr. Timothy Leary (who knew a LOT about drugs) was
dying, he kept a blog where he documented his drug regimen to combat
the effects of the cancer and chemo. Among the things he did was to
take triscuit crackers (I guess any type of cracker would do except
for saltines) and put either a small pat of butter or a small piece of
cheese on the cracker and top it with a small bud and nuke it for
about 20 seconds, just long enough to melt the butter or cheese and
activate the THC. He said one or two of those helped with the pain.
Never tried it myself, as I haven't touched pot for more than ten
years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> ( I have never made a muffin and have been looking around for
>> recipes. After your comment I was hoping for some help. No matter,
>> not your fault

> Hello, O! You might like to take a look at this site:
>
> http://www.joyofbaking.com/muffins/muffinrecipes.html

Thanks, Dora Will do!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 13:19:09 -0600, "gloria.p" >
> wrote:
>
>> Alas, I've never found one I really like.

> Never found one of some particular flavor or in general?

The ones we buy in the shops are umm... too soft. I liked the idea that
someone mentioned about drying them out.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 20:21:00 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> ( I have never made a muffin and have been looking around for recipes.
>> After your comment I was hoping for some help. No matter, not your
>> fault

> Try this, Ophelia. I posted the recipe right after I made it.
>
> Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
> makes 12 regular sized muffins
>
> 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
> 3/4 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon (to sprinkle on top of the muffins just
> before they go into the oven)
> 2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1 egg, lightly beaten
> 3/4 cup buttermilk
> 1 stick (1/4 pound) unsalted butter, melted
> 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
> 1 teaspoon lemon zest
>
> 1. Mix dry ingredients together
> 2. Mix all wet ingredients together - except the melted butter
> 3. Add wet ingredients to dry
>
> * If you want them even more lemony, add some lemon juice too.
>
> Do not over mix... a few lumps are fine. The melted butter will
> coagulate if you mix all the wet ingredients together first, so add it
> separately from or alternating with the buttermilk mixture.
>
> Bake 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
>
> Note: The muffins will not be very brown if you omit the sprinkle of
> sugar.

Thanks, recipe saved.. but.. could I use something other than lemon and
seeds? His nibs doesn't like them

I will take on board the general recipe and instructions though.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 10:33:37 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> Thanks, recipe saved.. but.. could I use something other than lemon and
> seeds? His nibs doesn't like them

Oh, too bad - because it's delicious. Well, you could always try
orange and no seeds. What about turning a quick bread into muffins?
That should work. If you want to use whole wheat, there are plenty of
recipes with that variation.

examples
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/zucchini_muffins/
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html
http://emr.cs.iit.edu/~reingold/ruth...a_muffins.html
or this
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 10:31:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 13:19:09 -0600, "gloria.p" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Alas, I've never found one I really like.

> > Never found one of some particular flavor or in general?

> The ones we buy in the shops are umm... too soft.

I don't like shop muffins either, because they're too sweet and too
soft. I think they must be made with 100% pastry flour. Home made is
better even if you use just any old recipe. Try one made with
buttermilk or yogurt (and all purpose flour). I think the mixture of
all purpose flour varies depending on your location here in the
states, so I can't guess what my all purpose flour would be in the UK.
I think I read here in rfc that all purpose is half hard wheat and
half soft wheat. http://www.bigoven.com/glossary/All-Purpose%20Flour

I watched a cooking show the other day where the TV cook took a recipe
that I'd use entirely all purpose flour for and substituted part of it
with pastry flour to make it more tender. So, if you don't like soft
muffins - my guess is the amount of soft/pastry flour is at least
partly the culprit.

> I liked the idea that someone mentioned about drying them out.
> --

Frankly, I don't think that will do anything other than make a
pre-stale muffin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 10:33:37 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, recipe saved.. but.. could I use something other than lemon and
>> seeds? His nibs doesn't like them

> Oh, too bad - because it's delicious. Well, you could always try
> orange and no seeds. What about turning a quick bread into muffins?
> That should work. If you want to use whole wheat, there are plenty of
> recipes with that variation.
>
> examples
> http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/zucchini_muffins/
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html
> http://emr.cs.iit.edu/~reingold/ruth...a_muffins.html
> or this
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

Thank you. I will check these over.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 10:31:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > Never found one of some particular flavor or in general?

>> The ones we buy in the shops are umm... too soft.

> I don't like shop muffins either, because they're too sweet and too
> soft. I think they must be made with 100% pastry flour. Home made is
> better even if you use just any old recipe. Try one made with
> buttermilk or yogurt (and all purpose flour). I think the mixture of
> all purpose flour varies depending on your location here in the
> states, so I can't guess what my all purpose flour would be in the UK.
> I think I read here in rfc that all purpose is half hard wheat and
> half soft wheat. http://www.bigoven.com/glossary/All-Purpose%20Flour
>
> I watched a cooking show the other day where the TV cook took a recipe
> that I'd use entirely all purpose flour for and substituted part of it
> with pastry flour to make it more tender. So, if you don't like soft
> muffins - my guess is the amount of soft/pastry flour is at least
> partly the culprit.
>
>> I liked the idea that someone mentioned about drying them out.
>> --

> Frankly, I don't think that will do anything other than make a
> pre-stale muffin.

That is all very interesting and something I shall look into! Many thanks
for that!!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 10:31:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> Never found one of some particular flavor or in general?

>> The ones we buy in the shops are umm... too soft.

> I don't like shop muffins either, because they're too sweet and too
> soft. I think they must be made with 100% pastry flour. Home made is
> better even if you use just any old recipe. Try one made with
> buttermilk or yogurt (and all purpose flour). I think the mixture of
> all purpose flour varies depending on your location here in the
> states, so I can't guess what my all purpose flour would be in the UK.
> I think I read here in rfc that all purpose is half hard wheat and
> half soft wheat. http://www.bigoven.com/glossary/All-Purpose%20Flour
>
> I watched a cooking show the other day where the TV cook took a recipe
> that I'd use entirely all purpose flour for and substituted part of it
> with pastry flour to make it more tender. So, if you don't like soft
> muffins - my guess is the amount of soft/pastry flour is at least
> partly the culprit.
>
>> I liked the idea that someone mentioned about drying them out.
>> --

> Frankly, I don't think that will do anything other than make a
> pre-stale muffin.

No way. Sooo, as I eat them, assuming the exterior has gotten
soft, I am apt to halve them, put the halves exterior up, and
broil them until they start browning. Of course, there is a fine
line between getting the exteriors to be nice and crunchy and
incinerating then.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/04/2011 2:05 PM, sf wrote

> I don't like shop muffins either, because they're too sweet and too
> soft. I think they must be made with 100% pastry flour. Home made is

I have given up on store bought blueberry muffins. They are more like
cup cakes than muffins. I like muffins. I don't have much use for
cupcakes, especially cupcakes made from a mix. There is something in
cake mixes that does not agree with me.

I use the Versatile Muffin Mix in the Laura Secord cook book. I add
frozen blueberries to the dry ingredients just before I mix them with
the wet. I end up with blueberry muffins, not blueberry cupcakes.

I avoid most commercially made muffins. They tend to be even worse for
you than donuts because of fat and sugar. However, there is a bakery
around the corner from me that sells healthy muffins. I am starting to
have trouble with decision making. She usually has only or three
varieties of muffin and it is getting harder and harder to decide which
to have because they are so good. Even her cornmeal muffins are
incredible. I had a break today because she had maple muffins and I had
never tried them before. Delicious.