Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Espresso powder brick breaker

I reached for my espresso powder this aft (making brownies for a
chocolate fix) - lo and behold, a dark brown brick in the bottom of
the jar. I ice-picked it loose in chunks, then gave em a whirl in the
coffee mill. I put the new powder in a glass jar. Why does that stuff
harden like that? Way to prevent? It ain't THAT old, in case you
think it came on the Mayflower.

I also noticed the exp. date on my corn syrup was 2005 - ha. I used
some anyway. I wonder if the ingredients will have changed when I
finally need a replacement.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 1, 2:08*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> I reached for my espresso powder this aft (making brownies for a
> chocolate fix) *- lo and behold, a dark brown brick in the bottom of
> the jar. *I ice-picked it loose in chunks, then gave em a whirl in the
> coffee mill. *I put the new powder in a glass jar. Why does that stuff
> harden like that? *Way to prevent? *It ain't THAT old, in case you
> think it came on the Mayflower.
>
> I also noticed the exp. date on my corn syrup was 2005 - ha. *I used
> some anyway. *I wonder if the ingredients will have changed when I
> finally need a replacement.

Might have gotten damp and then dried out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 14:08:25 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> I also noticed the exp. date on my corn syrup was 2005 - ha. I used
> some anyway. I wonder if the ingredients will have changed when I
> finally need a replacement.

The ingredients have changed already. No more HFCS.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> I reached for my espresso powder this aft (making brownies for a
> chocolate fix) - lo and behold, a dark brown brick in the bottom of
> the jar. I ice-picked it loose in chunks, then gave em a whirl in the
> coffee mill. I put the new powder in a glass jar. Why does that stuff
> harden like that? Way to prevent? It ain't THAT old, in case you
> think it came on the Mayflower.
>
> I also noticed the exp. date on my corn syrup was 2005 - ha. I used
> some anyway. I wonder if the ingredients will have changed when I
> finally need a replacement.

What brand? I have never had my Medaglia d'Oro (sp?) harden. I
have to wonder whether the jar was properly sealed.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 1, 2:08*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> I reached for my espresso powder this aft (making brownies for a
> chocolate fix) *- lo and behold, a dark brown brick in the bottom of
> the jar. *I ice-picked it loose in chunks, then gave em a whirl in the
> coffee mill. *I put the new powder in a glass jar. Why does that stuff
> harden like that? *Way to prevent? *It ain't THAT old, in case you
> think it came on the Mayflower.
>
> I also noticed the exp. date on my corn syrup was 2005 - ha. *I used
> some anyway. *I wonder if the ingredients will have changed when I
> finally need a replacement.

Mine always does that also- maybe a little moisture gets in there?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/1/2011 5:38 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>> I reached for my espresso powder this aft (making brownies for a
>> chocolate fix) - lo and behold, a dark brown brick in the bottom of
>> the jar. I ice-picked it loose in chunks, then gave em a whirl in the
>> coffee mill. I put the new powder in a glass jar. Why does that stuff
>> harden like that? Way to prevent? It ain't THAT old, in case you
>> think it came on the Mayflower.
>>
>> I also noticed the exp. date on my corn syrup was 2005 - ha. I used
>> some anyway. I wonder if the ingredients will have changed when I
>> finally need a replacement.

> What brand? I have never had my Medaglia d'Oro (sp?) harden. I have to
> wonder whether the jar was properly sealed.

My Medaglia d'Oro has done it. I think that humidity gets in the first
time we open the jar.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 4/1/2011 5:38 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> Kalmia wrote:
>>> I reached for my espresso powder this aft (making brownies for a
>>> chocolate fix) - lo and behold, a dark brown brick in the bottom of
>>> the jar. I ice-picked it loose in chunks, then gave em a whirl in the
>>> coffee mill. I put the new powder in a glass jar. Why does that stuff
>>> harden like that? Way to prevent? It ain't THAT old, in case you
>>> think it came on the Mayflower.
>>>
>>> I also noticed the exp. date on my corn syrup was 2005 - ha. I used
>>> some anyway. I wonder if the ingredients will have changed when I
>>> finally need a replacement.

>> What brand? I have never had my Medaglia d'Oro (sp?) harden. I have to
>> wonder whether the jar was properly sealed.
>>

> My Medaglia d'Oro has done it. I think that humidity gets in the first
> time we open the jar.

Odd. I assume all of us are closing the jars tightly.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:
> >
> > My Medaglia d'Oro has done it. I think that humidity gets in the first
> > time we open the jar.
> >

> Odd. I assume all of us are closing the jars tightly.

Not so odd. The humid air gets in while the jar is
open, then it sits there and laughs as you tightly close
the jar behind it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> "Jean B." wrote:
>
>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> My Medaglia d'Oro has done it. I think that humidity gets in the first
>>> time we open the jar.
>>>

>> Odd. I assume all of us are closing the jars tightly.

> Not so odd. The humid air gets in while the jar is
> open, then it sits there and laughs as you tightly close
> the jar behind it.

So, why haven't *I* had that problem?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 1, 6:38*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
> > I reached for my espresso powder this aft (making brownies for a
> > chocolate fix) *- lo and behold, a dark brown brick in the bottom of
> > the jar. *I ice-picked it loose in chunks, then gave em a whirl in the
> > coffee mill. *I put the new powder in a glass jar. Why does that stuff
> > harden like that? *Way to prevent? *It ain't THAT old, in case you
> > think it came on the Mayflower.

> > I also noticed the exp. date on my corn syrup was 2005 - ha. *I used
> > some anyway. *I wonder if the ingredients will have changed when I
> > finally need a replacement.

> What brand? *I have never had my Medaglia d'Oro (sp?) harden. *I
> have to wonder whether the jar was properly sealed.
>
> --

King Arthur, I think. I live in a very humid climate, so I think it
was doomed from the start. But I did manage to salvage about 90% of
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:

> >> Odd. I assume all of us are closing the jars tightly.

> > Not so odd. The humid air gets in while the jar is
> > open, then it sits there and laughs as you tightly close
> > the jar behind it.
> >

> So, why haven't *I* had that problem?

Perhaps the air is drier where you live, or lacking
in humor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2011 2:24 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:

> "Jean B." wrote:
>
>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>>
>>> My Medaglia d'Oro has done it. I think that humidity gets in the first
>>> time we open the jar.
>>>

>> Odd. I assume all of us are closing the jars tightly.

> Not so odd. The humid air gets in while the jar is
> open, then it sits there and laughs as you tightly close
> the jar behind it.

That has been my experience. It has happened to me even though the house
is air conditioned.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> "Jean B." wrote:
>
>> Mark Thorson wrote:

>>> Not so odd. The humid air gets in while the jar is
>>> open, then it sits there and laughs as you tightly close
>>> the jar behind it.
>>>

>> So, why haven't *I* had that problem?

> Perhaps the air is drier where you live, or lacking
> in humor.

LOL.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Apr 1, 6:38 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Kalmia wrote:
>>> I reached for my espresso powder this aft (making brownies for a
>>> chocolate fix) - lo and behold, a dark brown brick in the bottom of
>>> the jar. I ice-picked it loose in chunks, then gave em a whirl in the
>>> coffee mill. I put the new powder in a glass jar. Why does that stuff
>>> harden like that? Way to prevent? It ain't THAT old, in case you
>>> think it came on the Mayflower.
>>> I also noticed the exp. date on my corn syrup was 2005 - ha. I used
>>> some anyway. I wonder if the ingredients will have changed when I
>>> finally need a replacement.

>> What brand? I have never had my Medaglia d'Oro (sp?) harden. I
>> have to wonder whether the jar was properly sealed.
>>
>> --

> King Arthur, I think. I live in a very humid climate, so I think it
> was doomed from the start. But I did manage to salvage about 90% of
> it.

Hmmmm. It is quite humid here in the summer. I guess I'm just lucky.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 12:36:12 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>> So, why haven't *I* had that problem?

>Perhaps the air is drier where you live, or lacking
>in humor.>

It's not the humor, but the humordidity.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 14:08:25 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>I reached for my espresso powder this aft (making brownies for a
>chocolate fix) - lo and behold, a dark brown brick in the bottom of
>the jar. I ice-picked it loose in chunks, then gave em a whirl in the
>coffee mill. I put the new powder in a glass jar. Why does that stuff
>harden like that? Way to prevent?

Can't you treat it as you would hardened brown sugar?

-- Larry