Terry Pulliam Burd

Default Well, That Was Easy

Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny
I spent on commercial Agent worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and
they all disappeared.

Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who
*he* is to complain? (This would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask
me.)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"
Pennyaline

"Terry Pulliam Burd" wrote:
> Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny
> I spent on commercial Agent worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and
> they all disappeared.
>
> Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who
> *he* is to complain? (This would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask
> me.)

Nah, couldn't be bothered. I too eliminated every single one of his posts
with just a few swift strokes. Who says Outlook isn't good for anything?

x-archive:no

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:17:24 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny
>I spent on commercial Agent worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and
>they all disappeared.
>
>Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who
>*he* is to complain? (This would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask
>me.)

<SNIP>

A. Melon is an anonymous remailer. Send compaints with message headers
to . See more information about them at
http://www.melontraffickers.com/remailer.html

The Ranger

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in message
> Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just
> made every penny I spent on commercial Agent worth
> it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.

OE's filtering made it easier still...

> Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP
> is and who *he* is to complain? (This would pro'lly be
> about everyone, you ask me.)

Nah... Just not worth the effort.

The Ranger

Gregory Morrow

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny
> I spent on commercial Agent worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and
> they all disappeared.
>
> Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who
> *he* is to complain? (This would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask
> me.)

This happened on soc.history.what-if last year, rendering the group vitually
unusable for a while. In that case, someone eventually ferreted out that
the ISP was in Austria. Every single nonsense post in that case had a
different address, so it was hard to filter the posts out...the culprit was
the infamous shw-i troll "Matt Giwer".

In this case, I was able to filter out all the posts in one fell stroke -
and I'm on lowly OE ;-)

Have seen similar (but smaller) attacks on rec.travel.europe and
misc.consumers.frugal-living IIRC.

--
Best
Greg

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:17:24 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny
>I spent on commercial Agent worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and
>they all disappeared.

Terry, please say what the keystrokes are. I have the same program but
I am not that adept with it.

Thanks

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you
Katra

In article >,
"Pennyaline" > wrote:

> "Terry Pulliam Burd" wrote:
> > Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny
> > I spent on commercial Agent worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and
> > they all disappeared.
> >
> > Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who
> > *he* is to complain? (This would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask
> > me.)

> Nah, couldn't be bothered. I too eliminated every single one of his posts
> with just a few swift strokes. Who says Outlook isn't good for anything?

I'm using MT newswatcher and was able to do it too. ;-)
Thanks for the reminder of filters! Cut them all out after a couple of
tries...

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

MEow

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, Rodney Myrvaagnes of Global Network
Services - Remote Access Mail & News Services said:

>Terry, please say what the keystrokes are. I have the same program but
>I am not that adept with it.

Press Ctrl k while you have a message in the thread, or by the person, which you
want to KF highlighted; that should make a window show up where you can set the
filter to just the name, the name + the address, the subject title or something
else.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Julia Altshuler

Default OT- Well, That Was Easy - the current flooding annoyance

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> This happened on soc.history.what-if last year, rendering the group vitually
> unusable for a while. In that case, someone eventually ferreted out that
> the ISP was in Austria. Every single nonsense post in that case had a
> different address, so it was hard to filter the posts out...the culprit was
> the infamous shw-i troll "Matt Giwer".

I'm using Mozilla on a Linux platform. I killfile by sorting my
messages by sender and marking them all read in one fell swoop. I
re-sort by thread and do the same to the threads I'm not interested in.
When I get back to the newsgroup, all the messages I don't care to
read are gone, and I can sit back and enjoy. I have to do it each time
I sit down to the computer, but it takes only seconds so I don't mind
too much. It also means I have to memorize the names of the people I
choose to killfile (yes, there are some regulars in this category), but
I don't find that too difficult.

I'm not normally this curious about usenet annoyances preferring to find
a killfile solution and move on, but the name "Matt Giwer" caught my
attention. It seems he's been around for at least 10 years and has, at
one time or another, bothered every group including a private mailing
list I'm on. He (it?) uses an amazing array of bothering techniques
including porn, anti-Semetic remarks, flooding, automatic doubling.
Does anyone know who or what it is? Is he a troubled individual, a
group, a program? It would seem that if he's an individual there ought
to be some law somewhere that could jail or silence him. (That's not a
well-thought out comment on law and law enforcement, more of a sigh and
lament.)

--Lia

John Gaughan

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> I'm using Mozilla on a Linux platform.

Woohoo! Another one on the dark side :-)

I use Mozilla in Windows only because I'm a member of a private NNTP
server and keep over 100,000 messages locally. This causes problems for
me when using Mozilla in Linux, but the Windows version has no problems.

> I killfile by sorting my messages by sender and marking them all read
> in one fell swoop. I re-sort by thread and do the same to the
> threads I'm not interested in.

Yeah, but this doesn't ignore them so they don't come back. My only
gripe about Mozilla is that I cannot ignore multiple threads at the same
time. So I wind up filtering them instead in the case of A.Melon.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

AChrist787

>Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny
>I spent on commercial Agent worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and
>they all disappeared.<

Nah, I just killfiled him and he went away like a good boy.

Anne

AAC/AAF/AFBV62.0844.AZ
http://www.tckworld.com/opfoot

Gee! I just read them all >>>pant, pant, pant>>>> and then I notified
the ISP but it is just a remailer.

Pennyaline wrote:

> "Terry Pulliam Burd" wrote:
>
>>Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny
>>I spent on commercial Agent worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and
>>they all disappeared.
>>
>>Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who
>>*he* is to complain? (This would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask
>>me.)

> Nah, couldn't be bothered. I too eliminated every single one of his posts
> with just a few swift strokes. Who says Outlook isn't good for anything?

hahabogus

Julia Altshuler > wrote in

> I'm using Mozilla on a Linux platform. I killfile by sorting my
> messages by sender and marking them all read in one fell swoop. I
> re-sort by thread and do the same to the threads I'm not interested in.
> When I get back to the newsgroup, all the messages I don't care to

I use xnews...it is free and has a very nice plonk file. It has many
features that I enjoy, I don't even see this melon guys posts after the
first time. There are many newsreaders out there some free some that cost
as shareware,so if you hunt around you can find one that allows kill files
in your price range. To kill this melon guy I had to hit the "k" key and
type a number, the number indicates the number of days to plonk (except 0
is forever), while one of his posts was highlighted.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Julia Altshuler

John Gaughan wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>> I'm using Mozilla on a Linux platform.

> Woohoo! Another one on the dark side :-)

Excuse me, sir. I do believe you have your dark sides mixed up. It's
those other folks.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

hahabogus wrote:

> I use xnews...it is free and has a very nice plonk file. It has many
> features that I enjoy, I don't even see this melon guys posts after the
> first time. There are many newsreaders out there some free some that cost
> as shareware,so if you hunt around you can find one that allows kill files
> in your price range. To kill this melon guy I had to hit the "k" key and
> type a number, the number indicates the number of days to plonk (except 0
> is forever), while one of his posts was highlighted.

It sounds heavenly. The trouble is that I'm computer unsophisticated.
I don't know how to do anything except turn it on, type and post, and
learning to do that was a challenge. Every time I've had to adjust to
something new, I've been in a bad mood for days, even worse than NPR's
pledge week. I'm not about to convince my boyfriend to get me xnews
just so I can killfile. It wouldn't be worth the aggravation.

--Lia

John Gaughan

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Excuse me, sir. I do believe you have your dark sides mixed up.
> It's those other folks.

Whatever side I am on is the dark side -- that's just who I am ;-)

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Default User

hahabogus wrote:

> I use xnews...it is free and has a very nice plonk file. It has many
> features that I enjoy, I don't even see this melon guys posts after the
> first time. There are many newsreaders out there some free some that cost
> as shareware,so if you hunt around you can find one that allows kill files
> in your price range. To kill this melon guy I had to hit the "k" key and
> type a number, the number indicates the number of days to plonk (except 0
> is forever), while one of his posts was highlighted.

Does it have global killfiles? As in people or keywords I don't want to
see in any newsgroup?

Brian Rodenborn

Colin McGregor

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:03:19 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
>> This happened on soc.history.what-if last year, rendering the group vitually
>> unusable for a while. In that case, someone eventually ferreted out that
>> the ISP was in Austria. Every single nonsense post in that case had a
>> different address, so it was hard to filter the posts out...the culprit was
>> the infamous shw-i troll "Matt Giwer".

>I'm using Mozilla on a Linux platform. I killfile by sorting my
>messages by sender and marking them all read in one fell swoop. I
>re-sort by thread and do the same to the threads I'm not interested in.
> When I get back to the newsgroup, all the messages I don't care to
>read are gone, and I can sit back and enjoy. I have to do it each time
>I sit down to the computer, but it takes only seconds so I don't mind
>too much. It also means I have to memorize the names of the people I
>choose to killfile (yes, there are some regulars in this category), but
>I don't find that too difficult.
>

>I'm not normally this curious about usenet annoyances preferring to find
>a killfile solution and move on, but the name "Matt Giwer" caught my
>attention. It seems he's been around for at least 10 years and has, at
>one time or another, bothered every group including a private mailing
>list I'm on. He (it?) uses an amazing array of bothering techniques
>including porn, anti-Semetic remarks, flooding, automatic doubling.
>Does anyone know who or what it is? Is he a troubled individual, a
>group, a program? It would seem that if he's an individual there ought
>to be some law somewhere that could jail or silence him. (That's not a
>well-thought out comment on law and law enforcement, more of a sigh and
>lament.)

About 6 years ago I was working as a system admin. for a Toronto,
Ontario area ISP and had a run in with Matt Giwer. Mr. Giwer was
furious, wanting us to terminate the account of one our clients, said
client's "crime" was that he was critical of Matt Giwer's anti-semetic
comments. Our view (one that I strongly agreed with then and now) was
that so long as our client stayed within the letter of Canadian law we
didn't care what they said on-line (never mind that I very largely
agreed with our client's criticisms (a view I was too professional at
the time to share with Mr. Giwer)).

Now, I don't know what is up with Matt Giwer now, but at least back 6
years ago he was just one very real (if seemingly very troubled)
person living in Florida, USA... In other words Mr. Giwer is one of
those people that puts the UGLY in Ugly American for those of us from
outside the United States...

Colin McGregor
Nancy Young

Colin McGregor wrote:

> person living in Florida, USA... In other words Mr. Giwer is one of
> those people that puts the UGLY in Ugly American for those of us from
> outside the United States...
>
> Colin McGregor

How unfair is that? You just put the ugly in Canadian.

nancy
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:08:55 -0500, Rodney Myrvaagnes
> arranged random neurons, so they looked like
this:

>Terry, please say what the keystrokes are. I have the same program but
>I am not that adept with it.

You have to have commercial Agent. Free Agent doesn't have
killfilters. If you have commercial Agent, hit ctrl k on the offending
post and tag the appropriate radio buttons.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:23:24 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> arranged random neurons, so they looked like
this:

>It sounds heavenly. The trouble is that I'm computer unsophisticated.
>I don't know how to do anything except turn it on, type and post, and
>learning to do that was a challenge. Every time I've had to adjust to
>something new, I've been in a bad mood for days, even worse than NPR's
>pledge week. I'm not about to convince my boyfriend to get me xnews
>just so I can killfile. It wouldn't be worth the aggravation.

Check out commercial Agent. It's idiot proof and has great
killfilters.

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"
Katra

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:23:24 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> > arranged random neurons, so they looked like
> this:
>
> >It sounds heavenly. The trouble is that I'm computer unsophisticated.
> >I don't know how to do anything except turn it on, type and post, and
> >learning to do that was a challenge. Every time I've had to adjust to
> >something new, I've been in a bad mood for days, even worse than NPR's
> >pledge week. I'm not about to convince my boyfriend to get me xnews
> >just so I can killfile. It wouldn't be worth the aggravation.
> >

> Check out commercial Agent. It's idiot proof and has great
> killfilters.
>
> http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
>
> Terry

Or MT newswatcher:

http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/

OH so easy to use!

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

hahabogus

Default User > wrote in
:

> hahabogus wrote:
>
>> I use xnews...it is free and has a very nice plonk file. It has many
>> features that I enjoy, I don't even see this melon guys posts after
>> the first time. There are many newsreaders out there some free some
>> that cost as shareware,so if you hunt around you can find one that
>> allows kill files in your price range. To kill this melon guy I had
>> to hit the "k" key and type a number, the number indicates the number
>> of days to plonk (except 0 is forever), while one of his posts was
>> highlighted.

> Does it have global killfiles? As in people or keywords I don't want
> to see in any newsgroup?
>

> Brian Rodenborn

Yes

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
hahabogus

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> Colin McGregor wrote:
>
>> person living in Florida, USA... In other words Mr. Giwer is one of
>> those people that puts the UGLY in Ugly American for those of us from
>> outside the United States...
>>
>> Colin McGregor

> How unfair is that? You just put the ugly in Canadian.
>
> nancy

Every year many ugly Canadians drive down to live in florida for 6 months,
in or on property they own down there.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> How unfair is that? You just put the ugly in Canadian.
>
> nancy

Hey! Canadians aren't ugly!! Non-descript, yes...overweight, yes...but
ugly? ;-)

rona

Nancy Young

hahabogus wrote:

> Nancy Young > wrote in
> :
>
> > Colin McGregor wrote:
> >
> >> person living in Florida, USA... In other words Mr. Giwer is one of
> >> those people that puts the UGLY in Ugly American for those of us from
> >> outside the United States...
> >>
> >> Colin McGregor

> > How unfair is that? You just put the ugly in Canadian.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> Every year many ugly Canadians drive down to live in florida for 6 months,
> in or on property they own down there.

I thought they all went to Wildwood, NJ.

And you, ha, put the sweetheart in Canadian.

nancy
Nancy Dooley

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in message >. ..
> Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny
> I spent on commercial Agent worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and
> they all disappeared.
>
> Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who
> *he* is to complain? (This would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask
> me.)
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
> had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
> been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
> good dinner." Anonymous.
>
> To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

I complained to Google yesterday, since that's how I read groups -
complaints seem to have worked, more or less.

N.

hahabogus wrote:

> Default User > wrote in
> :

> > Does it have global killfiles? As in people or keywords I don't want
> > to see in any newsgroup?

> Yes

Good, thanks. I'll look into it. I've been coasting on inertia with
Netscape, but I really do need to get a real newsreader set up. I still
miss my old trn on UNIX.

Brian Rodenborn
Mark Shaw

In article <HSNTb.213507$xy6.1102224@attbi_s02>,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

>I'm not normally this curious about usenet annoyances preferring to find
>a killfile solution and move on, but the name "Matt Giwer" caught my
>attention. It seems he's been around for at least 10 years and has, at
>one time or another, bothered every group including a private mailing
>list I'm on. He (it?) uses an amazing array of bothering techniques
>including porn, anti-Semetic remarks, flooding, automatic doubling.
>Does anyone know who or what it is? Is he a troubled individual, a
>group, a program?

Giwer seems to be an individual, and was at one time somewhat
more balanced. He's always been troubled to some extent,
though.

I remember once he started posting to alt.books.tom-clancy,
claiming that he gave Clancy the idea for _Hunt for Red
October_. Little did he know that Clancy himself was at that
time posting to that newsgroup -- he showed up within a few
days and spanked Giwer quite thoroughly.

> It would seem that if he's an individual there ought
>to be some law somewhere that could jail or silence him. (That's not a
>well-thought out comment on law and law enforcement, more of a sigh and
>lament.)

Two words: J*rry H*we.

ObFood: I currently have a houseguest who cannot eat chocolate.
Any thoughts on how Barb's brownies would taste made with white
chocolate or some other such variation?

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"How can any culture that has more lawyers
Mark Shaw

:

>> How unfair is that? You just put the ugly in Canadian.

>Every year many ugly Canadians drive down to live in florida for 6 months,
>in or on property they own down there.

Some of them go on to Costa Rica, too.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"[The Blues] is the kind of music that doesn't
hahabogus

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in
:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>
>> How unfair is that? You just put the ugly in Canadian.
>>
>> nancy

> Hey! Canadians aren't ugly!! Non-descript, yes...overweight, yes...but
> ugly? ;-)
>
> rona

Hey I'm a Canadian and I am OverWieght...but every one I meet remembers me
for years and years....

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
blake murphy

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 07:28:42 -0600, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
> wrote:

>"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>
>> How unfair is that? You just put the ugly in Canadian.
>>
>> nancy

>Hey! Canadians aren't ugly!! Non-descript, yes...overweight, yes...but
>ugly? ;-)
>
>rona

and polite. don't forget polite.

your pal,
blake

Easy dip pintlar@node1 General Cooking 8 05-10-2013 12:33 AM
Here's an easy one.......... Tommy Joe General Cooking 0 19-02-2012 03:38 AM
Easy Way Tea TaeHo Tea 0 13-12-2009 08:14 AM
Easy McTarget Martin Willett Restaurants 39 10-02-2007 03:29 PM
This is too easy! [email protected] Winemaking 1 31-07-2006 05:25 PM