Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Someone selling a CD of recipes from the rec.food.recipesnewsgroup

On 3/30/2011 2:06 PM, Stu wrote:

> Interestingly enough I stumbled across a person selling a CD of recipes from
> the rec.food.recipes newsgroup at http://recipes2.alastra.com/

That really sucks. There are no attributions on those recipes. I'd have
to search a bit more, but I'm sure some of them are mine.

I don't care who has them as I posted them to a moderated, though
public, forum, but when someone takes the names of the authors off,
that's nasty. Further, as a long-time poster to that group, many
recipes posted carried attributions to the original author and/or
cookbook that are now gone.

I know it's technically *not* copyright violation, but it sucks, never
the less.

JMTCW

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 3/30/2011 2:06 PM, Stu wrote:
>>
>> Interestingly enough I stumbled across a person selling a CD of
>> recipes from
>> the rec.food.recipes newsgroup at http://recipes2.alastra.com/

> That really sucks. There are no attributions on those recipes. I'd have
> to search a bit more, but I'm sure some of them are mine.
>
> I don't care who has them as I posted them to a moderated, though
> public, forum, but when someone takes the names of the authors off,
> that's nasty. Further, as a long-time poster to that group, many
> recipes posted carried attributions to the original author and/or
> cookbook that are now gone.
>
> I know it's technically *not* copyright violation, but it sucks, never
> the less.
>
> JMTCW

Yes, I long ago observed that she strips the attribution and
changes the names of the recipes. That really changed my view of
rfc and whether I wanted to contribute to it. I posted recipes
from my grandmother and mother as tributes to them, thinking
they'd live on in this tiny way. Nope. Just strip that
attribution right out, and change the name of the recipe so people
cannot tell one recipe for X from another--or whether it is TNT or
just some untried thing.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

> Look at her statement above, she openly admits she uses the recipes that she
> takes from a moderated newsgroup for her own gain. I'm not sure the moderators
> of that newsgroup have the authority to sanction her practice.

That's your spin on it. I doubt she's actually making any money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 08:01:40 -0800, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> >Stu wrote:
> >
> >> Look at her statement above, she openly admits she uses the recipes that she
> >> takes from a moderated newsgroup for her own gain. I'm not sure the moderators
> >> of that newsgroup have the authority to sanction her practice.

> >That's your spin on it. I doubt she's actually making any money.

> Well there are four moderators, she is just one. So it would seem that the
> other three knew what she was up to, making them compliced.

So now it's a conspiracy, eh?