Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Anyone here wheat sensitive?

Not necessarily allergic or celiac but just wheat sensitive? How did
you know? What did you do? And, if you cut out wheat from your
regular diet, how did it change things for you?

I ask because It's been suggested to me that I might be wheat
sensitive and not know it.

If I am this is a real bummer to me because I love baking bread so
much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/03/2011 6:07 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> Not necessarily allergic or celiac but just wheat sensitive? How did
> you know? What did you do? And, if you cut out wheat from your
> regular diet, how did it change things for you?
>
> I ask because It's been suggested to me that I might be wheat
> sensitive and not know it.
>
> If I am this is a real bummer to me because I love baking bread so
> mu

She was treated as celiac as a youngster but it seems that she wasn't
really. Wheat does not agree with her so she doesn't eat much of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:07:14 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> Not necessarily allergic or celiac but just wheat sensitive? How did
> you know? What did you do? And, if you cut out wheat from your
> regular diet, how did it change things for you?
>
> I ask because It's been suggested to me that I might be wheat
> sensitive and not know it.
>
> If I am this is a real bummer to me because I love baking bread so
> much.

That's my DIL... gluten intolerant. It's pretty easy to switch over.
Of course if you're hooked on bread you've got a problem, but look in
the cracker section - those gluten free crackers with mixed seeds that
include flax are wonderful. What she does is watch it on a DTD basis
and then she can indulge every so often when I make something like
pizza.

So far, I haven't had a problem accommodating her. Gluten free dinner
is pretty easy to do and I've learned how to choose a dessert that I
can make gluten free if it calls for flour. I bought a bag of gluten
free pancake mix that I've been substituting for gluten free flour and
what I've made is fine to date. I made the Ina Garten Brownie Pudding
last night for the second time and it turned out just fine. I've also
made the lemon version which was fine too.

Really - when you stop and think about it, other than straight bread
or flour based cake, it's not as big a deal as you think at the
moment. You don't have to be on the lookout for all the hidden gluten
like the real allergic people do. Did you know the "glu" in glue is
gluten? http://www.celiacsolution.com/hidden-gluten.html
<http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html>
http://www.gicare.com/diets/gluten-free.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> Not necessarily allergic or celiac but just wheat sensitive? How did
> you know? What did you do? And, if you cut out wheat from your
> regular diet, how did it change things for you?
>
> I ask because It's been suggested to me that I might be wheat
> sensitive and not know it.
>
> If I am this is a real bummer to me because I love baking bread so
> much.

My daughter is. We found out via a blood test at a Naturopath. It's called
an IgG allergy. She is allergic to more than wheat though.

How it all started with her was trouble in school. They thought she had
ADD. But we would take her to the Dr. and the Dr. would say she didn't have
it. It got frustrating.

Finally my mom's Dr. thought she had food allergies. He tested her and we
got the results the next week.

Initially it was wheat, gluten, soy, eggs, dairy, peanut and bananas. She
has since outgrown the soy, eggs, dairy and bananas but is now also allergic
to peas, lentils and almonds.

Sadly if you have this type of allergy, eating too much of any one food can
cause you to become allergic to it. Because she was allergic to dairy, we
were eating a lot of faux cheeses made of almonds, peas or lentils. She was
also eating almond butter.

I have accidentally fed her something with wheat in it a few times since she
was diagnosed 6 years ago. In some cases it was just cross contamination.
In other words, minute amounts. Her reaction? Severe stomach pains and
then she either vomits or has to run to sit on the toilet.

The immediate result of her diet change was that she could suddenly pay
attention in school. We surmised that she had just felt unwell probably
from birth. I wasn't producing enough breast milk for her and we had to
supplement with formula. At that time the only formulas out there were milk
or soy based. She did projectile vomiting with the milk based. And the soy
based constipated her. So she was constantly sick until we started her on
real food. And then the vomiting for the most part stopped.

She also had skin rashes prior. Took me a while to realize I can not use
any cosmetics on her with allergens in them. I had used a product with
wheat in it on myself and the residue in the tub caused her a rash.

The biggest problem you'll have with avoiding wheat is probably in
restaurants. Never assume anything is safe. Fryers need to be dedicated to
your French fries only. If the cook things with wheat in them, that wheat
gets on your fries. Chicken breast can contain wheat especially if it comes
frozen and especially in fast food places. Even places with a gluten free
menu can put wheat in places you wouldn't expect. Like butter or margarine!
This is what Outback Steakhouse does. Note that I have never eaten there.
But it does say on their menu if on a gluten free diet to avoid the butter
and margarine. And they put that on their baked potatoes before baking!

If you stick to places with a gluten free menu and order off of it, you'll
likely be safe. You have to check salad dressings and remind them not to
bring rolls or put croutons on your salad. Italian dressing is usually safe
as is balsamic vinaigrette.

Gravies and sauces often contain wheat.

Some places with safe menus are Garlic Jim's, Boston's (gluten free pizza),
Old Spaghetti Factory, Olive Garden, Pei Wei's, P.F. Chang's. I'm sure
there are others. I don't much like chain places. Mainly I look for local
places that cook from scratch. What I order may not be on the menu. I may
just order side dishes. Oh and beware of the eggs at IHOP. They put
pancake batter in them.

You may need to replace some things in your kitchen. Namely the toaster,
plastic colanders, wooden spoons and Teflon pans. These things are next to
impossible to clean enough to get all the gluten off.

I use sweet rice flour as a thickener for sauces and gravies. For baking
things, look for gluten free recipes. In most cases you'll need a mix of
flours such as rice, potato, tapioca and bean. You can get these pre-mixed.
Most grocery stores (at least in this area) have a gluten free section. Or
you can go to the health food store. Pasta is made with rice, corn, quinoa
or a combination thereof.

You will also have to read each and every label on the foods that you buy
each and every time. Beware of things with glucose syrup in them. Mentos
is one such thing. The glucose syrup is made of wheat. Beware of things
that say they are processed on the same line as wheat. Makes for cross
contamination. Much that Trader Joe's sells is this way. Even if the
product says Gluten Free or Wheat Free on the label, do look for cross
contamination. It's more common than you might think.

Also be prepared for people to be incredibly stupid. There are a whole lot
of people out there who don't know what wheat is. They will think you can
eat white bread, or potato bread or rye bread. Yes some rye bread is safe
for you. There are authentic German rye breads that do not contain wheat.
But your typical grocery store cheaper rye will likely have wheat it too.
They won't realize that most prepared soups contain wheat. Don't ask me
why. They won't know there is wheat in the gravy.

Be careful at buffets or even big dinners with other people. These are
major sources of cross contamination. Also people cooking for you can be
sources of cross contamination. they might touch bread or flour and then
touch other foods without washing their hands. Or dip a measuring cup into
flour and then something else without cleaning it. Sometimes it's just best
to bring your own food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:07:14 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>> Not necessarily allergic or celiac but just wheat sensitive? How did
>> you know? What did you do? And, if you cut out wheat from your
>> regular diet, how did it change things for you?
>>
>> I ask because It's been suggested to me that I might be wheat
>> sensitive and not know it.
>>
>> If I am this is a real bummer to me because I love baking bread so
>> much.

> That's my DIL... gluten intolerant. It's pretty easy to switch over.
> Of course if you're hooked on bread you've got a problem, but look in
> the cracker section - those gluten free crackers with mixed seeds that
> include flax are wonderful. What she does is watch it on a DTD basis
> and then she can indulge every so often when I make something like
> pizza.
>
> So far, I haven't had a problem accommodating her. Gluten free dinner
> is pretty easy to do and I've learned how to choose a dessert that I
> can make gluten free if it calls for flour. I bought a bag of gluten
> free pancake mix that I've been substituting for gluten free flour and
> what I've made is fine to date. I made the Ina Garten Brownie Pudding
> last night for the second time and it turned out just fine. I've also
> made the lemon version which was fine too.
>
> Really - when you stop and think about it, other than straight bread
> or flour based cake, it's not as big a deal as you think at the
> moment. You don't have to be on the lookout for all the hidden gluten
> like the real allergic people do. Did you know the "glu" in glue is
> gluten? http://www.celiacsolution.com/hidden-gluten.html
> <http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html>
> http://www.gicare.com/diets/gluten-free.aspx

My daughter doesn't have a life threatening allergy but she can never have
wheat. Not even a speck of it. Makes her very ill. Every case is
different.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 28, 4:04*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

I don't have any allergy nor do I have dire consequences when I eat
wheat. But thanks for the information.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 16:23:52 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 4:04*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

> I don't have any allergy nor do I have dire consequences when I eat
> wheat. But thanks for the information.

My DIL had some (not very bad) eczema which has pretty much cleared up
now that she's watching her gluten intake. What are your symptoms?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> Not necessarily allergic or celiac but just wheat sensitive?

I'm specifically wheat intolerant. I can eat bread made from 100% rye
without symptoms. I can eat barley products without symptoms (a beer or
two per week typically in the case of barley). I can eat oats without
symptoms.

> What did you do?

I followed the directions of the Atkins plan no matter that there were
parts of the directions I did not understand or did not agree with. I
ate from the list of foods in phase 1, moved through the phases on
schedule, added foods back according to the "carb ladder" in order and
on schedule. Two weeks in my family reported that I had stopped snoring
but at the time I did not notice that other symptoms had gone away.

> How did you know?

A couple of months in it was time for me to try grain in small
quantities to see how it effected my weight direction. I had a steak
with some gravy that tasted of flour. Before I might not have noticed
that flavor but after a couple of months with no grain of any sort it
was obvious. Blam. My hair started sweating. My body temperature went
up a couple of degrees. The old cough that sounded like a smokers cough
came back. My indigestion, that had really been my normal my entire
life so I'd never noticed it before, came back. I was intensely
ravenous and wanted to eat everything in sight. I'm probably leaving
out some of the minor symptoms. All that from some gravy.

A couple of weeks later I wanted to be sure it was specifically the
wheat. I went to an old favorite pizza place and had a pizza with a
wholewheat crust. Otherwise it had ingredients I'd tried without issue.
Blam. All of the symptoms back again. I must have ate the entire pizza
in the resulting binge.

Over a month later I wanted to do "three strikes and you're out" so I
tried something else with wheat in a meal that otherwise had ingredients
I had recently without issue. Blam. Third strike. It was the wheat.

> And, if you cut out wheat from your
> regular diet, how did it change things for you?

It sure changed my shopping and my attitude towards eating poison. I
had not thought in terms of one person having different poisons than the
next person. I can walk through an aisle in the grocery store and it's
like my mind edits out the poison leaving an empty aisle. I have an
attitude about eating cattle fodder. I listen for other people talking
about snoring and I offer a 30% odds that I can cure them.

On a large scale it's not been a big change. Almost every restaurant
has food items that are not poisonous to me. Some restaurants have very
little variety so I go to Olive Garden not every year these days. On
rare occasions I eat a salad and then have food later. At first I tried
eating before an uncertain event but eventually I stopped doing that
because so few places don't have any of what I consider food.

In my case as the years have passed my reaction to wheat has gotten
smaller and smaller. Five years in I had cream of some vegitable soup
and I could feel the sweat on my scalp. Chewing gum helped clear it.
Ten years in I tried chicken fired steak and got just a bit of
indigestion.

> I ask because It's been suggested to me that I might be wheat
> sensitive and not know it.

If you've eaten ingredient X nearly every day of your life then whatever
it does to you is your normal. There's no way to tell. It's easy to
believe you have no food intollerances and assert that you don't.
Doesn't mean that belief is correct. Go a week or two without X then
add it back. It's easy to not notice symptoms that used to be your
normal disappear. It's easy to notice them coming back though. And so
you really find out when you add the ingredient back.

> If I am this is a real bummer to me because I love baking bread so
> much.

Long pepper was recently discussed on RFC. I looked around and could
not find any locally so I bought some on Amazon. It's not as hot as
round peppercorns and it's sort of half way between worchestershire
sauce and cloves, not that that can make any sense. The initial attempt
on eggs this morning taught me that it's a lot weaker than round
peppercorns.

Anyways - Now it's time to experiment with spiced cookies. There's a
recipe for sugar cookies that uses rice flour and the bulk splenda.
Substitute in a wild guess at an amount of long pepper and try a few
cookies. Try a larger wild guess and bake a few more. By the end of
the week I'll know how much to use to make Spice Road Cookies.

The runestone will say - Uncle Dag had an adventure on the caravan with
the Goths of the Varangian Guard. All we got with this recipe for
cookies with exotic long pepper ...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I have accidentally fed her something with wheat in it a few times since she
> was diagnosed 6 years ago. In some cases it was just cross contamination.
> In other words, minute amounts. Her reaction? Severe stomach pains and
> then she either vomits or has to run to sit on the toilet.

My reactions are far less extreme than this. In my case active
avoidance doesn't carry severe punishment for missing. I get bad
indigestion and an assortment of other symptoms. This gives me a lot
more freedom.

> The biggest problem you'll have with avoiding wheat is probably in
> restaurants. Never assume anything is safe ...

It can get pretty obscure. Omlettes can be made extra fluffy by adding
a spoon of pancake batter. Exactly how hard you avoid wheat needs to
depend on how bad your symptoms are.

> Gravies and sauces often contain wheat.

So do soups that have cream in their names. They tend to be thickened
with flour.

> I use sweet rice flour as a thickener for sauces and gravies.

Cream is a good thickener. Corn starch, arrowroot starch, regular rice
flour, brown rice flour, potato starch.

> Also be prepared for people to be incredibly stupid. There are a whole lot
> of people out there who don't know what wheat is. They will think you can
> eat white bread, or potato bread or rye bread.

Foodies often know what ingredients foods have. Non-foodies often think
the ingredients are items like "noodle" or "can". No idea what an
ingredient even is.

> Yes some rye bread is safe
> for you. There are authentic German rye breads that do not contain wheat.

The ones from Denmark and Germany tend to only be available at specialty
stores but sometimes in the speciality aisle.

> But your typical grocery store cheaper rye will likely have wheat it too.

Rye is almost a spice added to bread to make it rye bread. The label
needs to list the ingredients and not have wheat flour in the list. The
loaves of 100% rye bread are like little black bricks. Heavy, chewy,
delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 28, 5:14*pm, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

Thank you Doug, this is the kind of answer I was looking for.

I seem to have joint ache, skin problems with dry patches like eczema,
and bloated stomach.
Also unexplaned runny nose for no reason.

I'm going to try the 'eliminate X' trial and see what happens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 16:02:25 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> My daughter is. We found out via a blood test at a Naturopath. It's called
>> an IgG allergy. She is allergic to more than wheat though.

> Is that where you're getting all your family's allergy diagnosis from?
> No ****ing wonder.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturopathy
>
> -sw

Surely you remember whom you're speaking to?! LOL. Do an archives
review- Jan.19, 2008 Julie Bove, Sugar and Spaghetti Sauce.

'nuff said
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/28/2011 03:07 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> Not necessarily allergic or celiac but just wheat sensitive? How did
> you know? What did you do? And, if you cut out wheat from your
> regular diet, how did it change things for you?
>
> I ask because It's been suggested to me that I might be wheat
> sensitive and not know it.
>
> If I am this is a real bummer to me because I love baking bread so
> much.

I think Miche is allergic to wheat but not gluten. Let me go point her
to this thread.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> I seem to have joint ache, skin problems with dry patches like eczema

Both of those are some sort of autoimmune issue. Likely but not
definitely caused by diet.

> and bloated stomach.

Is that near the bottom of your digestive track? If so reducing total
carbs could resolve it - Intestinal bacteria ferment dietary carbs
especially soluble fiber releasing gas.

> Also unexplaned runny nose for no reason.

Some sort of immune response.

Check. Not much like my symptoms. Everyone's different.
Experienced Member

Gluten free dinner
is pretty easy to do and I've learned how to choose a dessert that I
can make gluten free if it calls for flour. I bought a bag of gluten
free pancake mix that I've been substituting for gluten free flour and
what I've made is fine to date. I made the Ina Garten Brownie Pudding
last night for the second time and it turned out just fine.They thought she had
ADD. But we would take her to the Dr. and the Dr. would say she didn't have
it. It got frustrating.

Finally my mom's Dr. thought she had food allergies.
__________________
MP4 Player
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 29, 7:41*am, Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> I think Miche is allergic to wheat but not gluten. Let me go point her
> to this thread.
>
> Serene
>
> --http://www.momfoodproject.com

Thanks Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 29, 1:17*pm, Miche > wrote:

> Thanks, Serene. *I've since gone completely gluten-free since I started
> showing the same symptoms with other gluten-bearing grains. *:/
>
> I tested negative for Coeliac Disease, but recent research has shown
> there are other gluten sensitivities besides that.
>
> If you are wheat-free but not gluten-free there are tons of recipes out
> there using spelt that come out very very close to what you're used to.
>
> Spelt is a bit more delicate, so you'll want to go light on the
> kneading, and the moisture absorption is a bit different, so you'll want
> to experiment a bit on how much water/etc you use with the flour.
>
> On the whole, though, spelt is fantastic stuff. *I miss it dearly.
>
> Miche

Thanks for replying Miche,

So how did you find out you were sensitive to wheat and then
gluten....what symptoms did you have?

I think I'm going to just go with a Chia bread from a "local" (BC)
based company and stay completely off wheat
for a bit and then try some to see if it has made any difference.
I hope I'm not gluten sensitive, I'm actually looking
forward to coming up with a mixed grain non wheat bread recipe that
actually tastes good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:34:57 +0000, M.afaqanjum&lt;s&gt;
> wrote:

> Gluten free dinner
> is pretty easy to do and I've learned how to choose a dessert that I
> can make gluten free if it calls for flour. I bought a bag of gluten
> free pancake mix that I've been substituting for gluten free flour and
> what I've made is fine to date. I made the Ina Garten Brownie Pudding
> last night for the second time and it turned out just fine.They thought
> she had
> ADD. But we would take her to the Dr. and the Dr. would say she didn't
> have
> it. It got frustrating.
>
> Finally my mom's Dr. thought she had food allergies.

How does Foodbanter make such a mess of previous posts?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> On Mar 29, 1:17*pm, Miche > wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, Serene. *I've since gone completely gluten-free since I started
> > showing the same symptoms with other gluten-bearing grains. *:/
> >
> > I tested negative for Coeliac Disease, but recent research has shown
> > there are other gluten sensitivities besides that.
> >
> > If you are wheat-free but not gluten-free there are tons of recipes out
> > there using spelt that come out very very close to what you're used to.
> >
> > Spelt is a bit more delicate, so you'll want to go light on the
> > kneading, and the moisture absorption is a bit different, so you'll want
> > to experiment a bit on how much water/etc you use with the flour.
> >
> > On the whole, though, spelt is fantastic stuff. *I miss it dearly.
> >
> > Miche

> Thanks for replying Miche,
>
> So how did you find out you were sensitive to wheat and then
> gluten....what symptoms did you have?

Irritable Bowel Syndrome was the big one, and a rash on my upper arms
that wouldn't go away.

I went low-carb for other reasons and discovered I felt a lot better.
Then one day I decided "screw it, I want a pie." The next twelve hours
were full of woe.

So I went wheat-free completely. It felt like the sun coming out from
behind clouds, and my "irritable bowel syndrome" went away literally
overnight.

> I think I'm going to just go with a Chia bread from a "local" (BC)
> based company and stay completely off wheat
> for a bit and then try some to see if it has made any difference.
> I hope I'm not gluten sensitive, I'm actually looking
> forward to coming up with a mixed grain non wheat bread recipe that
> actually tastes good.

My sister (gluten, dairy and peanut-free) already beat you to it.
Let me know if you want the recipe.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
M.afaqanjum&lt;s&gt; >
wrote:

> Gluten free dinner
> is pretty easy to do and I've learned how to choose a dessert that I
> can make gluten free if it calls for flour. I bought a bag of gluten
> free pancake mix that I've been substituting for gluten free flour and
> what I've made is fine to date. I made the Ina Garten Brownie Pudding
> last night for the second time and it turned out just fine.They thought
> she had
> ADD. But we would take her to the Dr. and the Dr. would say she didn't
> have
> it. It got frustrating.
>
> Finally my mom's Dr. thought she had food allergies.

It's possible for a person to have ADD/ADHD _and_ food allergies.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Miche wrote:
> >
> > If you are wheat-free but not gluten-free there are tons of recipes out
> > there using spelt that come out very very close to what you're used to.
> >
> > Spelt is a bit more delicate, so you'll want to go light on the
> > kneading, and the moisture absorption is a bit different, so you'll want
> > to experiment a bit on how much water/etc you use with the flour.
> >
> > On the whole, though, spelt is fantastic stuff. I miss it dearly.

> When I experimented with spelt it gave me the same symptoms as regular
> wheat. Same with kamut.
>
> I've heard of "einkorn" but have not tried it yet.

Spelt didn't at first, then I stopped using it for a couple of months
and found I couldn't go back to it. Kamut was as bad as regular wheat
for me.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 29, 2:44*pm, Miche > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *ImStillMags > wrote:
> > On Mar 29, 1:17 pm, Miche > wrote:

> > > Thanks, Serene. I've since gone completely gluten-free since I started
> > > showing the same symptoms with other gluten-bearing grains. :/

> > > I tested negative for Coeliac Disease, but recent research has shown
> > > there are other gluten sensitivities besides that.

> > > If you are wheat-free but not gluten-free there are tons of recipes out
> > > there using spelt that come out very very close to what you're used to.

> > > Spelt is a bit more delicate, so you'll want to go light on the
> > > kneading, and the moisture absorption is a bit different, so you'll want
> > > to experiment a bit on how much water/etc you use with the flour.

> > > On the whole, though, spelt is fantastic stuff. I miss it dearly.

> > > Miche

> > Thanks for replying Miche,

> > So how did you find out you were sensitive to wheat and then
> > gluten....what symptoms did you have?

> Irritable Bowel Syndrome was the big one, and a rash on my upper arms
> that wouldn't go away.
>
> I went low-carb for other reasons and discovered I felt a lot better. *
> Then one day I decided "screw it, I want a pie." *The next twelve hours
> were full of woe.
>
> So I went wheat-free completely. *It felt like the sun coming out from
> behind clouds, and my "irritable bowel syndrome" went away literally
> overnight.
>
> > I think I'm going to just go with a Chia bread from a "local" (BC)
> > based company and stay completely off wheat
> > for a bit and then try some to see if it has made any difference.
> > I hope I'm not gluten sensitive, *I'm actually looking
> > forward to coming up with a mixed grain non wheat bread recipe that
> > actually tastes good.

> My sister (gluten, dairy and peanut-free) already beat you to it. * *
> Let me know if you want the recipe.
>
> Miche
>
> --
> Electricians do it in three phases- Hide quoted text -

you kidding !!!! I'd love the recipe!!! thank you so much !!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> M.afaqanjum&lt;s&gt; >
> wrote:
>
>> Gluten free dinner
>> is pretty easy to do and I've learned how to choose a dessert that I
>> can make gluten free if it calls for flour. I bought a bag of gluten
>> free pancake mix that I've been substituting for gluten free flour and
>> what I've made is fine to date. I made the Ina Garten Brownie Pudding
>> last night for the second time and it turned out just fine.They thought
>> she had
>> ADD. But we would take her to the Dr. and the Dr. would say she didn't
>> have
>> it. It got frustrating.
>>
>> Finally my mom's Dr. thought she had food allergies.

> It's possible for a person to have ADD/ADHD _and_ food allergies.

That's true too. But she doesn't seem to have ADD. She had symptoms of it
while eating the allergens. But she doesn't now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 09:17:53 +1300, Miche > wrote:

>If you are wheat-free but not gluten-free there are tons of recipes out
>there using spelt that come out very very close to what you're used to.
>
>Spelt is a bit more delicate, so you'll want to go light on the
>kneading, and the moisture absorption is a bit different, so you'll want
>to experiment a bit on how much water/etc you use with the flour.

Spelt *IS* wheat. The people selling spelt are being dishonest sleaze bags
when they make a claim otherwise. Spelt is genetically closer to normal
bread wheat than durum wheat, used for pasta, is to normal bread wheat.

Spelt is also called German wheat.

Don. http://paleofood.com/kitchen-equipment.htm (e-mail at page bottom).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Don Wiss > wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 09:17:53 +1300, Miche > wrote:
>
> >If you are wheat-free but not gluten-free there are tons of recipes out
> >there using spelt that come out very very close to what you're used to.
> >
> >Spelt is a bit more delicate, so you'll want to go light on the
> >kneading, and the moisture absorption is a bit different, so you'll want
> >to experiment a bit on how much water/etc you use with the flour.

> Spelt *IS* wheat. The people selling spelt are being dishonest sleaze bags
> when they make a claim otherwise. Spelt is genetically closer to normal
> bread wheat than durum wheat, used for pasta, is to normal bread wheat.
>
> Spelt is also called German wheat.
>
> Don. http://paleofood.com/kitchen-equipment.htm (e-mail at page bottom).

And yet the fact remains that some people who can't eat modern varieties
of wheat, can eat spelt.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2:44*pm, Miche > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >

> > *ImStillMags > wrote:

> > > Thanks for replying Miche,

> > > So how did you find out you were sensitive to wheat and then
> > > gluten....what symptoms did you have?

> > Irritable Bowel Syndrome was the big one, and a rash on my upper arms
> > that wouldn't go away.
> >
> > I went low-carb for other reasons and discovered I felt a lot better. *
> > Then one day I decided "screw it, I want a pie." *The next twelve hours
> > were full of woe.
> >
> > So I went wheat-free completely. *It felt like the sun coming out from
> > behind clouds, and my "irritable bowel syndrome" went away literally
> > overnight.
> >
> > > I think I'm going to just go with a Chia bread from a "local" (BC)
> > > based company and stay completely off wheat
> > > for a bit and then try some to see if it has made any difference.
> > > I hope I'm not gluten sensitive, *I'm actually looking
> > > forward to coming up with a mixed grain non wheat bread recipe that
> > > actually tastes good.

> > My sister (gluten, dairy and peanut-free) already beat you to it. * *
> > Let me know if you want the recipe.

> you kidding !!!! I'd love the recipe!!! thank you so much !!

Here you go, recipes for bread and a whole bunch of other things, made
with taste and nutritional density in mind. (And no, you don't have to
make the baking mix/bread mix/etc in the quantities she does -- she's
feeding more than one person.)

http://estoile.livejournal.com/145999.html

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Experienced Member

Gluten free dinner
is pretty easy to do and I've learned how to choose a dessert that I
can make gluten free if it calls for flour. I bought a bag of gluten
free pancake mix that I've been substituting for gluten free flour and
what I've made is fine to date. I made the Ina Garten Brownie Pudding
last night for the second time and it turned out just fine. I've also
made the lemon version which was fine too.I
ate from the list of foods in phase 1, moved through the phases on
schedule, added foods back according to the "carb ladder" in order and
on schedule.
__________________
MP4 Player
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:43:02 +1300, Miche > wrote:

>And yet the fact remains that some people who can't eat modern varieties
>of wheat, can eat spelt.

No. This is not a fact at all. You are believing the sleazy sellers that
make such a claim. Follows is a story of blind testing and more detail on
the differences.

Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 14:23:48 PST
Sender: Celiac/Coeliac Wheat/Gluten-free List >
From: "Donald D. Kasarda" >
Subject: celiac disease-spelt-proteins

Spelt is so close to normal bread wheat (closer than durum wheat, used for
pasta, is to normal bread wheat) that I would guess the chances of someone
being allergic to wheat and not to spelt as being something like 1 in a
million. By allergy, I shall arbitrarily limit my discussion to people who
primarily have respiratory symptoms or who develop skin wheals upon eating
wheat (these are associated with IgE type allergies) as opposed to people
who have gastrointestinal problems, which might result from either celiac
disease (especially involving IgA) or allergy. Allergy may be caused by
proteins in wheat that are different from gluten proteins--at least this is
true for baker's asthma. I have the definite impression that allergy may be
quite variable in any given individual--a person may react strongly one day
and weakly another, hence sometimes giving the impression that he/she can
handle spelt; psychological factors may also be involved. On the other
hand, there is almost no question now that spelt is harmful to celiac
patients. Spelt should be avoided by celiac patients.

Similarity of wheat, rye, and barley proteins: Proteins are polymers of
amino acids. The amino acids are joined together by peptide bonds like
beads on a string. There are 20 different amino acids commonly found in
proteins and the sequence in which these 20 different amino acids appear in
the string is important to determining the type of protein. Wheat, rye, and
barley all have proteins that differ by species; the proteins of barley can
be distinguished from the proteins of wheat, but wheat, rye, and barley
proteins have some considerable similarities in amino acid sequence.
Although a typical gluten protein may have 300 amino acids in its chain, it
has been essentially proved that a 19-amino acid piece of that chain or
string can cause damage in celiac disease. Even smaller pieces may be
active. Some of the key suspect sequences appear in the wheat, barley, or
rye storage proteins. Traditionally, gluten (highly cohesive and elastic)
is found only in wheat and actually is made up of storage proteins, which
provide a source of nitrogen and amino acids for the new plant upon
germination of the seed. A gluten ball is difficult or impossible to wash
from rye or barley, but celiac patients have come to call all toxic
proteins or peptides (pieces of the protein, usually resulting from the
digestive process) "gluten". So when a celiac asks does a grain have
gluten? I translate in my head immediately into, "Does the grain have any
proteins that include any of the suspect sequences." Strictly speaking, rye
and barley have storage proteins with some important similarities in
sequence to the wheat proteins. The situation with oats is more complex.
Most of the proteins do not have similarities, but a small fraction does
have some suspect sequences. If oats holds up as toxic, then it is likely
to be because of these particular sequences. No other plants are known to
have these key sequences, but, of course, the number of proteins sequenced
from various species is not all that large in comparison with the enormous
number of possiblities. The exorphins and the celiac-active peptides appear
generally to consist of pieces having different amino acid sequences.

Donald D. Kasarda

==================

Date: Mon, 3 Jul 95 15:44:46 PDT
From: "Donald D. Kasarda" >
Subject: Someone thinks Spelt is Different from Wheat
To: Don Wiss

Don,

As you say, there will always be skeptics. Spelt appears to differ from
ordinary bread wheat mainly in a gene that makes the outer coat adherent
(more like oats) rather than free-threshing. Some people seem to think
this means Spelt is a more primitive wheat than bread wheat, but it could
even be the other way around. On analysis by gel electrophoresis, the
proteins appear to be almost identical to those of certain bread wheat
varieties and as far as gluten proteins are concerned, the
known-to-be-toxic (in celiac disease) alpha gliadin type has been found
both by protein analysis and by DNA analysis in Spelt. However, allergy
probably/mostly involves different proteins from the gluten proteins

With regard to people's judgement as to whether or not they can tolerate
spelt, I will relate a recent experience. An M.D. allergist called me to
ask about spelt because his wife who is allergic to wheat (respiratory
distress and skin weals/rash), but apparently does not have celiac disease,
felt that she could tolerate spelt very well and wheat not at all. The
allergist tended to agree that this seemed to be so. I said I doubted it
(mentioned the 1-in-a-million chance), but figuring that even a
1-in-a-million chance can occur, decided to carry out a blind experiment
with their cooperation. We made six extractions of proteins, three from
different spelt varieties (obtained from the most knowledgeable spelt
research station in the country--in Wooster, Ohio) and three extractions
from whole wheat flour that we purchased in the supermarket. We supplied
the coded samples blind to the allergist and he fed the 6 samples (about 1
per month) to his wife and noted her response. He then supplied the
results to me. When I decoded the results, the times that she reacted were
about 50:50 spelt/wheat and the strongest reaction, requiring a shot of
epinephrine to quell the response, was to one of the spelt samples!

I haven't the slightest doubt about the harmfulness of spelt to celiac
patients, but allergy is a highly variable response and, although I am
doubtful, I would have to allow for a slight chance that ordinary wheat
might have a protein (a non-gluten protein) that some people are allergic
to that has been lost from spelt.

Don
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Don Wiss wrote:
> Miche > wrote:
>
>>And yet the fact remains that some people who can't eat modern varieties
>>of wheat, can eat spelt.

> No. This is not a fact at all. You are believing the sleazy sellers that
> make such a claim. Follows is a story of blind testing and more detail on
> the differences.
>
> Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 14:23:48 PST
> Sender: Celiac/Coeliac Wheat/Gluten-free List >
> From: "Donald D. Kasarda" >
> Subject: celiac disease-spelt-proteins
>
> Spelt is so close to normal bread wheat (closer than durum wheat, used for
> pasta, is to normal bread wheat) that I would guess the chances of someone
> being allergic to wheat and not to spelt as being something like 1 in a
> million. By allergy, I shall arbitrarily limit my discussion to people who
> primarily have respiratory symptoms or who develop skin wheals upon eating
> wheat (these are associated with IgE type allergies) as opposed to people
> who have gastrointestinal problems, which might result from either celiac
> disease (especially involving IgA) or allergy.

That's quite the arbitrary limit and that's the issue.

If eating wheat sends you to the doctors office, don't even consider
trying spelt. It's not worth the price of experimenting on yourself.

If eating wheat triggers lesser symptoms it may be worth
experimenting on yourself. Different people will have different results
so go with your own results. For folks who get disgestive problems
from gluten the amount tends to matter. Spelt have a lower amount of
gluten than modern domesticated wheat. It can end up below the symptom
threshold for such people.