Old 27-03-2011, 11:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I made lemon bars

I've never had a lemon bar, but whenever I've seen a picture
of them they look *really* good. USA Today magazine had a
recipe so I went for it. Really easy and boy, they're as delicious
as I thought they would be.

Not being a baker, the recipe looked pretty foolproof for me, and
there was a video to really seal the deal.

"http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20110325/FOOD04/103270307/Recipe-Luscious-Lemon-Bars"
or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/45ogvok

I used Meyer lemons. I'm thinking it might be nice to bring these
at Easter.

nancy

Old 28-03-2011, 12:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 6:36*pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:
I've never had a lemon bar, but whenever I've seen a picture
of them they look *really* good.

My version first arrived at our table circa 1960 in a Betty Crocker
cookbook....gawd...they are good! I hope you enjoyed them. I have
even substituted orange juice, lime juice and cranberry juice. So
Good and SO EASY.
Old 28-03-2011, 12:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2011 4:36 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
I've never had a lemon bar, but whenever I've seen a picture
of them they look *really* good. USA Today magazine had a
recipe so I went for it. Really easy and boy, they're as delicious
as I thought they would be.

Not being a baker, the recipe looked pretty foolproof for me, and
there was a video to really seal the deal.

"http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20110325/FOOD04/103270307/Recipe-Luscious-Lemon-Bars"
or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/45ogvok

I used Meyer lemons. I'm thinking it might be nice to bring these
at Easter.

I saw that recipe and cut out the page. It did sound good.

When I was a kid the bakery made lemon squares with a flaky, delicate
top and bottom crust and a filling like lemon meringue pie.
They were delicious and I don't remember them being as sweet
as lemon bars.

gloria p
Old 28-03-2011, 12:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:
On Mar 27, 6:36 pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:
I've never had a lemon bar, but whenever I've seen a picture
of them they look *really* good.

My version first arrived at our table circa 1960 in a Betty Crocker
cookbook....gawd...they are good! I hope you enjoyed them.

I really did, they are even better than I expected. What took me
so long.

I have
even substituted orange juice, lime juice and cranberry juice. So
Good and SO EASY.

That's what made me go for it, not only did they have very few
ingredients, but it looked super easy. And it was! Thanks for
the other ideas.

nancy
Old 28-03-2011, 12:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
On 3/27/2011 4:36 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
I've never had a lemon bar, but whenever I've seen a picture
of them they look *really* good. USA Today magazine had a
recipe so I went for it. Really easy and boy, they're as delicious
as I thought they would be.

Not being a baker, the recipe looked pretty foolproof for me, and
there was a video to really seal the deal.

"http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20110325/FOOD04/103270307/Recipe-Luscious-Lemon-Bars"
or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/45ogvok

I saw that recipe and cut out the page. It did sound good.

When I was a kid the bakery made lemon squares with a flaky, delicate
top and bottom crust and a filling like lemon meringue pie.
They were delicious and I don't remember them being as sweet
as lemon bars.

The lemon layer calls for 3/4 cup of sugar, I wonder if the amount
could be reduced with no bad effects.

nancy

Old 28-03-2011, 06:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 19:12:27 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

I really did, they are even better than I expected. What took me
so long.

It's hard to find a lemon bar recipe you like, at least it is for me.
Congratulations!

Old 28-03-2011, 01:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I really did, they are even better than I expected. What took me
so long.

It's hard to find a lemon bar recipe you like, at least it is for me.
Congratulations!

Thanks! I guess I was lucky the first time I tried.

nancy
Old 30-03-2011, 02:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I really did, they are even better than I expected. What took me
so long.

It's hard to find a lemon bar recipe you like, at least it is for me.
Congratulations!

Why? My problem is that I like things on the tart side. If I
ever make them again, I'd throw in some True Lemon.
Old 30-03-2011, 02:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I really did, they are even better than I expected. What took me
so long.

It's hard to find a lemon bar recipe you like, at least it is for me.
Congratulations!

Why? My problem is that I like things on the tart side. If I
ever make them again, I'd throw in some True Lemon.

Why what? I like mine on the tart side too, that's why I said
congratulations. I haven't found one that I like yet and I'm not
going to use anything that I didn't squeeze out of a lemon. If I'm
going to do that, I might as well stick with commercial lemon bars.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I really did, they are even better than I expected. What took me
so long.
It's hard to find a lemon bar recipe you like, at least it is for me.
Congratulations!

Why? My problem is that I like things on the tart side. If I
ever make them again, I'd throw in some True Lemon.

Why what? I like mine on the tart side too, that's why I said
congratulations. I haven't found one that I like yet and I'm not
going to use anything that I didn't squeeze out of a lemon. If I'm
going to do that, I might as well stick with commercial lemon bars.

Take a look at True Lemon, even if you don't buy it. It is very
useful, IMO, because you get the natural lemon flavor when you
can't add more liquid. (Sure, I'd use lemon juice first.)

--
Jean B.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I really did, they are even better than I expected. What took me
so long.
It's hard to find a lemon bar recipe you like, at least it is for me.
Congratulations!

Why? My problem is that I like things on the tart side. If I
ever make them again, I'd throw in some True Lemon.

Zest a lemon, throw some zest in the bars. I use a ginger grater to zest for
lemon pie (much finer), why should lemon bars be any different?

Well, True Lemon would be in addition to fresh lemon juice and zest.

--
Jean B.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 22:38:24 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

Take a look at True Lemon, even if you don't buy it. It is very
useful, IMO, because you get the natural lemon flavor when you
can't add more liquid. (Sure, I'd use lemon juice first.)

Okay, I'll see if I can find it.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 18:35:44 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

LOL! I remember trying to make nonsweet lemon cookies. That was
before True Lemon came out. I keep intending to try to do this
again, but now I shouldn't be eating useless calories--or so I say.

I'm convinced! What part of the grocery store should I look in
for that product? Am I wrong? It looks like it's dry and in packets.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Nancy Young wrote:
gloria.p wrote:
[...]

If you are using Meyer lemons - definitely cut the sugar down. I tend to
use the same measures, but visibly scant the filling. And if it's
something like "1 cup plus one tablespoon" I don't add the TBS.

I love lemon bars!

Charlotte
Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
In article ,
Nancy Young wrote:

The lemon layer calls for 3/4 cup of sugar, I wonder if the amount
could be reduced with no bad effects.

If you are using Meyer lemons - definitely cut the sugar down. I
tend to use the same measures, but visibly scant the filling. And if
it's something like "1 cup plus one tablespoon" I don't add the TBS.

I'll probably use less next time. Also, I forgot that I have lemon
extract, that might find its way in somehow. Thanks.

I love lemon bars!

They're my new favorite! That was fun.

nancy

lemon bars neris Mexican Cooking 0 21-12-2006 05:25 AM
Lemon Bars Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 06-09-2006 11:03 AM
Lemon Bars 2 Duckie Recipes 0 07-04-2004 07:10 PM