Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default For me, this is a new "Gout" food I shouldn't be eating anyway!

I eat pizza about twice a year. Two days ago, I got one of Dominos
large pizzas and ate the whole thing in two days. I was craving it
like it was drugs or something.

Well, this morning I've started paying for it the second time. I woke
with the left ankle hurting so much I can hardly support myself on it.
I haven't had a Gout attack in years.

With my diabetes, I shouldn't be eating pizza anyway and surely not
the amount I let myself eat this time.

Shame on me!

It is curious that pizza caused it this time. That's a first for me.
Perhaps it was the quantity. I still can't believe I ate that much. I
just sort of went nuts I guess.

Temporary insanity! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Owwwwww, my damn ankle hurts like hell!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 12:37*pm, Landon > wrote:
> I eat pizza about twice a year. Two days ago, I got one of Dominos
> large pizzas and ate the whole thing in two days. I was craving it
> like it was drugs or something.
>
> Well, this morning I've started paying for it the second time. I woke
> with the left ankle hurting so much I can hardly support myself on it.
> I haven't had a Gout attack in years.
>
> With my diabetes, I shouldn't be eating pizza anyway and surely not
> the amount I let myself eat this time.
>
> Shame on me!
>
> It is curious that pizza caused it this time. That's a first for me.
> Perhaps it was the quantity. I still can't believe I ate that much. I
> just sort of went nuts I guess.
>
> Temporary insanity! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
>
> Owwwwww, my damn ankle hurts like hell!

I find pizza really raises my blood sugar. One thing that is good
about it though (for sort of kind of health reasons) is that for me it
is relatively easy to digest for some strange reason. I have
gastroparesis, and digestion of most foods is difficult. Pizza is one
of the easy ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Landon > wrote in
:

> I eat pizza about twice a year. Two days ago, I got one of Dominos
> large pizzas and ate the whole thing in two days. I was craving it
> like it was drugs or something.
>
> Well, this morning I've started paying for it the second time. I woke
> with the left ankle hurting so much I can hardly support myself on it.
> I haven't had a Gout attack in years.
>
> With my diabetes, I shouldn't be eating pizza anyway and surely not
> the amount I let myself eat this time.
>
> Shame on me!
>
> It is curious that pizza caused it this time. That's a first for me.
> Perhaps it was the quantity. I still can't believe I ate that much. I
> just sort of went nuts I guess.
>
> Temporary insanity! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
>
> Owwwwww, my damn ankle hurts like hell!

I've taken allopurinal (cheap) for many decades, pay no attention to
diet, and have had no problems. But perhaps my gout (or diet) is/was
different than yours. Mine was in my largest toe if I recall correctly.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-27, KenK > wrote:

> I've taken allopurinal (cheap) for many decades, pay no attention to
> diet, and have had no problems.

I've told 'em many times, but some ppl jes don't wanna listen.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2011 11:34 AM, KenK wrote:
> > wrote

>> Owwwwww, my damn ankle hurts like hell!

> I've taken allopurinal (cheap) for many decades, pay no attention to
> diet, and have had no problems. But perhaps my gout (or diet) is/was
> different than yours. Mine was in my largest toe if I recall correctly.
>
> Ken

Ditto for me, Ken. A Hawaiian trip with overindulgence in shrimp
triggered mine. Allopurinol has been a terrific preventative along
with more cautious eating.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-27, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Note that a recurrence of gout while recovering
> from an attack is often worse than the original
> attack. I'd say you should be symptom-free for
> 2 or 3 days before resuming eating meat.

You know spit about a serious gout attack.

I had one and it was the worst experience in my life. My foot was in
unreletning pain, swollen to the size of a football, and so hot I felt
I could fry bacon on it. I thought the skin was gonna split open like
a skin-on pork shoulder onna rotisserie spit. This went on for five
days. In the end, I was on crutches for 3 wks and a cane for 3 mos!!
It was 7 mos before I was normal, and this in the hands of the best
practicing rheumatologist in the SFBA, outta Stanford.

One word. Allipurinol. If yer doc won't prescribe it, shoot him!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 12:07*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-03-27, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>

> > Note that a recurrence of gout while recovering
> > from an attack is often worse than the original
> > attack. *I'd say you should be symptom-free for
> > 2 or 3 days before resuming eating meat.

> You know spit about a serious gout attack.
>
> I had one and it was the worst experience in my life. *My foot was in
> unreletning pain, swollen to the size of a football, and so hot I felt
> I could fry bacon on it. *I thought the skin was gonna split open like
> a skin-on pork shoulder onna rotisserie spit. *This went on for five
> days. *In the end, I was on crutches for 3 wks and a cane for 3 mos!!
> It was 7 mos before I was normal, and this in the hands of the best
> practicing rheumatologist in the SFBA, outta Stanford.
>
> One word. *Allipurinol. *If yer doc won't prescribe it, shoot him!
>
> nb

==
Brings to mind the old comic strip "Bringing Up Father" where the main
character always had gout and always had a cane to assist in walking.
Elevating the foot on an ottoman seemed to help.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-27, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> notbob wrote:

> On the contrary, I've had several. During the two
> worst ones, I couldn't stand much less walk.
> Crawling into the kitchen to get food was extremely
> painful. Just existing was painful. I remember
> thinking that if I had to feel this much pain for
> the rest of my life, I'd rather die.

I stand corrected and you have my deepest apology/sympathy. I'll back up a
few and state, if you've had more than one episode, your doctor sucks.
That or you completely ignored basic gout advice.

> It sounds like you aggravated the condition by working
> the afflicted joint.

I lived on my couch for a week. I'm more than familiar with
the act of "crawling". After an unnecessary spinal tap by an idiot doc
and changing health plans, I got competent care.

I hope you are on allipurinol and have no more problems. I've not had
an attack for almost 15 yrs and eat/drink EVERYTHING! ...although I keep
my exposure to anchovies down to no more than once per yr.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 3:19*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>

> > You know spit about a serious gout attack.

> On the contrary, I've had several.

MY attack was worse than your attack! <vbg>

Always keep a scrip for Colchicine..and it is a miracle pill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Landon wrote:

> I eat pizza about twice a year. Two days ago, I got one of Dominos
> large pizzas and ate the whole thing in two days. I was craving it
> like it was drugs or something.

Meat and cheese in excess can both cause gout.
Add eggs, and the list is nearly complete.

Note that a recurrence of gout while recovering
from an attack is often worse than the original
attack. I'd say you should be symptom-free for
2 or 3 days before resuming eating meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 3:51*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>

> the rest of my life, even if it means I can't indulge
> in meat as often as I'd like.

Be wary of green peas & beer...also on the don't eat/drink list!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-27, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Allopurinol is far safer than colchicine. Colchicine
> has a very low therapeutic index (ratio between a safe
> dose and a dangerous dose).

Colchicine got me a spinal tap by an inexperienced doc. Bad for long
term use (more than a wk) but good to knock down a servere attack in
the short term.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2011-03-27, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> >
> > Note that a recurrence of gout while recovering
> > from an attack is often worse than the original
> > attack. I'd say you should be symptom-free for
> > 2 or 3 days before resuming eating meat.

> You know spit about a serious gout attack.

On the contrary, I've had several. During the two
worst ones, I couldn't stand much less walk.
Crawling into the kitchen to get food was extremely
painful. Just existing was painful. I remember
thinking that if I had to feel this much pain for
the rest of my life, I'd rather die.

> I had one and it was the worst experience in my life. My foot was in
> unreletning pain, swollen to the size of a football, and so hot I felt
> I could fry bacon on it. I thought the skin was gonna split open like
> a skin-on pork shoulder onna rotisserie spit. This went on for five
> days. In the end, I was on crutches for 3 wks and a cane for 3 mos!!
> It was 7 mos before I was normal, and this in the hands of the best
> practicing rheumatologist in the SFBA, outta Stanford.

It sounds like you aggravated the condition by working
the afflicted joint. That's what made my worst attacks
so bad. A moderate attack can become a major attack by
doing that. What did it for me was driving my stick-shift
car. Re-injuring a joint during recovery makes recovery
much longer.

> One word. Allipurinol. If yer doc won't prescribe it, shoot him!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:

> Brings to mind the old comic strip "Bringing Up Father" where the main
> character always had gout and always had a cane to assist in walking.
> Elevating the foot on an ottoman seemed to help.

Der Captain in the Katzenjammer Kids strip also had gout.
He was usually depicted in a wheelchair or with a crutch,
while having a foot and ankle in a cast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2011-03-27, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> > notbob wrote:

> > On the contrary, I've had several. During the two
> > worst ones, I couldn't stand much less walk.
> > Crawling into the kitchen to get food was extremely
> > painful. Just existing was painful. I remember
> > thinking that if I had to feel this much pain for
> > the rest of my life, I'd rather die.

> I stand corrected and you have my deepest apology/sympathy. I'll back up a
> few and state, if you've had more than one episode, your doctor sucks.
> That or you completely ignored basic gout advice.

No, it's that I just try to manage it through diet.
As long as I limit my intake of meat, cheese, and eggs,
I'm usually just fine. I also have to drink lots of
water, especially if I'm not drinking any beer.

> > It sounds like you aggravated the condition by working
> > the afflicted joint.

> I lived on my couch for a week. I'm more than familiar with
> the act of "crawling". After an unnecessary spinal tap by an idiot doc
> and changing health plans, I got competent care.
>
> I hope you are on allipurinol and have no more problems. I've not had
> an attack for almost 15 yrs and eat/drink EVERYTHING! ...although I keep
> my exposure to anchovies down to no more than once per yr.

No, I use diet to manage my gout. I've only had
one serious attack in the last 10 years, and that
could have been prevented by paying more attention.
I'd rather watch my diet than take allopurinol for
the rest of my life, even if it means I can't indulge
in meat as often as I'd like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Bill" wrote:

> Always keep a scrip for Colchicine..and it is a miracle pill.

Allopurinol is far safer than colchicine. Colchicine
has a very low therapeutic index (ratio between a safe
dose and a dangerous dose).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 3:07*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-03-27, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>

> Colchicine got me a spinal tap by an inexperienced doc. *Bad for long
> term use (more than a wk) but good to knock down a servere attack in
> the short term.

My physician told me to to take one pill and if I didn't feel
immediate results to stop taking the drug. If I did have immediate
results, take for two days only. That was it...no long term use
since this effective drug does provide unwanted side effects. Only
your doctor can determine if this is the proper drug to use. He was
right in my case.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Allopurinol is far safer than colchicine. Colchicine
> has a very low therapeutic index (ratio between a safe
> dose and a dangerous dose).

I meant "effective dose", not "safe dose".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Landon" > wrote in message
>I eat pizza about twice a year. Two days ago, I got one of Dominos
> large pizzas and ate the whole thing in two days. I was craving it
> like it was drugs or something.
>
> Well, this morning I've started paying for it the second time. I woke
> with the left ankle hurting so much I can hardly support myself on it.
> I haven't had a Gout attack in years.
>
> With my diabetes, I shouldn't be eating pizza anyway and surely not
> the amount I let myself eat this time.
>
> Shame on me!
>
> It is curious that pizza caused it this time. That's a first for me.
> Perhaps it was the quantity. I still can't believe I ate that much. I
> just sort of went nuts I guess.
>
> Temporary insanity! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
>
> Owwwwww, my damn ankle hurts like hell!

Get yourself a big bottle of 100% pure cherry juice. Not juice from
concentrate. Just pure cherry juice. Drink several glasse sa day. Your
gout should improve quickly. I used it to cure my toe goiut some years ago
and it was a miracle cure.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> Get yourself a big bottle of 100% pure cherry juice. Not juice from
> concentrate. Just pure cherry juice. Drink several glasse sa day. Your
> gout should improve quickly. I used it to cure my toe goiut some years ago
> and it was a miracle cure.

I tried that, and it didn't seem to have any
effect more than the same amount of water
would have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 9:37*am, Landon > wrote:
> I eat pizza about twice a year. Two days ago, I got one of Dominos
> large pizzas and ate the whole thing in two days. I was craving it
> like it was drugs or something.
>
> Well, this morning I've started paying for it the second time. I woke
> with the left ankle hurting so much I can hardly support myself on it.
> I haven't had a Gout attack in years.
>
> With my diabetes, I shouldn't be eating pizza anyway and surely not
> the amount I let myself eat this time.
>
> Shame on me!
>
> It is curious that pizza caused it this time. That's a first for me.
> Perhaps it was the quantity. I still can't believe I ate that much. I
> just sort of went nuts I guess.
>
> Temporary insanity! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
>
> Owwwwww, my damn ankle hurts like hell!

Considering an entire large Domino's pizza could contain over 9 grams
of sodium, I wonder if landon's ankles could have been swollen, adding
to the pain of gout.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Portland wrote:

> I find pizza really raises my blood sugar. One thing that is good
> about it though (for sort of kind of health reasons) is that for me it
> is relatively easy to digest for some strange reason. I have
> gastroparesis, and digestion of most foods is difficult. Pizza is one
> of the easy ones.

I have diabetes and gastroparesis too. No gout. I would think the problem
with gout would be the meat toppings which I don't eat.

Years ago I used to get a veggie pizza at the Presidio when we lived in CA.
I would go to the commissary to shop after eating the pizza and then have a
hypo! The dreaded pizza effect. Too much fat in the pizza I guess. I
would then make things worse by eating some M & Ms. This would bring my
blood sugar back up but then about an hour later the pizza would hit my
system and my blood sugar would be high!

These days I eat pizza maybe a couple of times a month. I have to use a
rice based crust because of daughter's wheat allergy. The rice crust is
very easy for my to digest. I either make it at home or get it from Garlic
Jim's. Extra cheese of all kinds. Works very well for me but I do have to
watch my portion size. I put some pine nuts on it if I make it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 3/27/2011 3:14 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> I eat pizza about twice a year. Two days ago, I got one of Dominos
>> large pizzas and ate the whole thing in two days. I was craving it
>> like it was drugs or something.
>>
>> Well, this morning I've started paying for it the second time. I woke
>> with the left ankle hurting so much I can hardly support myself on it.
>> I haven't had a Gout attack in years.
>>
>> With my diabetes, I shouldn't be eating pizza anyway and surely not
>> the amount I let myself eat this time.
>>
>> Shame on me!
>>
>> It is curious that pizza caused it this time. That's a first for me.
>> Perhaps it was the quantity. I still can't believe I ate that much. I
>> just sort of went nuts I guess.
>>
>> Temporary insanity! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
>>
>> Owwwwww, my damn ankle hurts like hell!

> Get yourself a big bottle of 100% pure cherry juice. Not juice from
> concentrate. Just pure cherry juice. Drink several glasse sa day. Your
> gout should improve quickly. I used it to cure my toe goiut some years ago
> and it was a miracle cure.

Spouse has had gout for years :/ Thankfully, his is usually controlled
by his daily dose of allopurinol. Unfortunately, Spouse did try the
cherry juice trick a few times, but it did not work for him. Whenever
he gets a 'twinge' that indicates a gout attack is imminent, he nips it
in the but with some colchicine, which does work wonders. However, the
potential side effects of the colchicine are not very nice at all.
Luckily, he rarely gets attacks nowadays - knock on wood!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 1:31*pm, "Mr. Bill" > wrote:
> On Mar 27, 3:19*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > notbob wrote:

> > > You know spit about a serious gout attack.

> > On the contrary, I've had several.

> MY attack was worse than your attack! * <vbg>
>
> Always keep a scrip for Colchicine..and it is a miracle pill.

Did you use it before the whole Colcrys bullshit? That orphan drug
legislation is a consumer ripoff scheme.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Get yourself a big bottle of 100% pure cherry juice. Not juice from
>>> concentrate. Just pure cherry juice. Drink several glasse sa day.
>>> Your
>>> gout should improve quickly. I used it to cure my toe goiut some years
>>> ago
>>> and it was a miracle cure.

>> Spouse has had gout for years :/ Thankfully, his is usually controlled
>> by his daily dose of allopurinol. Unfortunately, Spouse did try the
>> cherry juice trick a few times, but it did not work for him. Whenever he
>> gets a 'twinge' that indicates a gout attack is imminent, he nips it in
>> the but with some colchicine, which does work wonders. However, the
>> potential side effects of the colchicine are not very nice at all.
>> Luckily, he rarely gets attacks nowadays - knock on wood!

> You're telling a diabetic to drink cherry juice? He may as well just
> shoot himself. The death will be quicker and much less painful.

Actually it was me who recommended it. I am diabetic and I can drink cherry
juice in measured amounts. Sure it makes my BG go up but not so much as you
think. The raw juice is not the sweetened kind like you normally see. It's
actually kind of hard to find and it can be quite tart sometimes even sour.
TJs sells it. I suspect the failure of those who have tried it was they
used the 10% "juice" like Oceanspray. I like to mix it with diet 7-Up.
It's not like you live on the stuff and if he's on insulin he can control
the BG. Certainly does less damage than a 16 inch pizza. I went bonkers
and ordered a pizza a while back and suffered a spike of 425. It was days
before I felt better. Don't have that problem with cherry juice.

> I do take tart cherry pills. Not sure if they would have the same effect
> as the juice. I take them because they contain antioxidants.

The juice eliminated my gout in 3 days. It's not the antioxidants. Cherry
juice has the ability to dissolve uric acid crystals which is what gout is.
Not sure what the active component is.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/03/2011 11:03 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> I do take tart cherry pills. Not sure if they would have the same effect
>> as the juice. I take them because they contain antioxidants.

> The juice eliminated my gout in 3 days. It's not the antioxidants. Cherry
> juice has the ability to dissolve uric acid crystals which is what gout is.
> Not sure what the active component is.

Two years ago my wife had to go off all medication because of a problem
she was having, and that included her arthritis medication. She drank
cherry juice instead and thought that it was doing as good a job as the
medication.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Spouse has had gout for years :/ Thankfully, his is usually controlled
>>> by his daily dose of allopurinol. Unfortunately, Spouse did try the
>>> cherry juice trick a few times, but it did not work for him. Whenever
>>> he gets a 'twinge' that indicates a gout attack is imminent, he nips it
>>> in the but with some colchicine, which does work wonders. However, the
>>> potential side effects of the colchicine are not very nice at all.
>>> Luckily, he rarely gets attacks nowadays - knock on wood!

>> You're telling a diabetic to drink cherry juice? He may as well just
>> shoot himself. The death will be quicker and much less painful.

> Actually it was me who recommended it. I am diabetic and I can drink
> cherry juice in measured amounts. Sure it makes my BG go up but not so
> much as you think. The raw juice is not the sweetened kind like you
> normally see. It's actually kind of hard to find and it can be quite tart
> sometimes even sour. TJs sells it. I suspect the failure of those who
> have tried it was they used the 10% "juice" like Oceanspray. I like to
> mix it with diet 7-Up. It's not like you live on the stuff and if he's on
> insulin he can control the BG. Certainly does less damage than a 16 inch
> pizza. I went bonkers and ordered a pizza a while back and suffered a
> spike of 425. It was days before I felt better. Don't have that problem
> with cherry juice.
>
>> I do take tart cherry pills. Not sure if they would have the same effect
>> as the juice. I take them because they contain antioxidants.

> The juice eliminated my gout in 3 days. It's not the antioxidants.
> Cherry juice has the ability to dissolve uric acid crystals which is what
> gout is. Not sure what the active component is.

I know about the juice. I don't need it. I don't have gout. But I would
never recommend that a diabetic drink it. I bought some for my husband but
he refused to drink it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

>"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

>> The juice eliminated my gout in 3 days. It's not the antioxidants.
>> Cherry juice has the ability to dissolve uric acid crystals which is what
>> gout is. Not sure what the active component is.

>I know about the juice. I don't need it. I don't have gout. But I would
>never recommend that a diabetic drink it. I bought some for my husband but
>he refused to drink it.

There is some science behind the cherry juice gout treatment belief.
But I do not know if it has been proven. (My doctor warned me not
to drink mega quantities of cherry juice, since the fructose
can definitely aggravate gout.)

I think it's something that could be in a gout sufferer's bag of tricks,
but not a mainstay of long-term care (I place it in the same
category as colchicine and alkalinizing one's urine).

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:37:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Years ago I used to get a veggie pizza at the Presidio when we lived in CA.
>I would go to the commissary to shop after eating the pizza and then have a
>hypo!

I was stationed at the Presidio from 71 to 74. I lived over the garage
of an estate in Marin City. The place was very much out of its
element. The estate was built by the Grandfather of the lady who owned
it when I lived there. She was 101. Her daughter actually ran the
place. It was a very interesting time of my life.

If you remember where the "Finance" building was, I was in the MP
company at the far right end of that row of buildings.

You made a flood of memories come back to me! If there is one thing
that San Francisco has, its food! Lots of great food!

I also lived about halfway down California Avenue, San Bruno, Redwood
City and South City for awhile.

Thanks for the memory jog!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:07:25 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>Landon > wrote:
>
>>>I wouldn't wish gout on the enemy!
>>>
>>>Get well quick,
>>>
>>>Best,
>>>
>>>Andy

>> Thanks Andy! I got the Extravaganza of course. Egg in the crust, lots
>> of cheese and meat. Like I *wanted* gout! It used to only be my left
>> big toe, but this time it got my entire left ankle.
>>
>> I don't know what got into me!

>Landen,
>
>You asked for it! You got it!
>
>I do easily understand the desire to test the waters.
>
>Best,
>
>Andy

Thanks Andy. Yeah, once in awhile, I get these crazy urges. I've got
to start listening to the little good Angel on my other shoulder!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Landon" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:37:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Years ago I used to get a veggie pizza at the Presidio when we lived in
>>CA.
>>I would go to the commissary to shop after eating the pizza and then have
>>hypo!

> I was stationed at the Presidio from 71 to 74. I lived over the garage
> of an estate in Marin City. The place was very much out of its
> element. The estate was built by the Grandfather of the lady who owned
> it when I lived there. She was 101. Her daughter actually ran the
> place. It was a very interesting time of my life.
>
> If you remember where the "Finance" building was, I was in the MP
> company at the far right end of that row of buildings.
>
> You made a flood of memories come back to me! If there is one thing
> that San Francisco has, its food! Lots of great food!
>
> I also lived about halfway down California Avenue, San Bruno, Redwood
> City and South City for awhile.
>
> Thanks for the memory jog!

Actually we lived in Alameda about 8 to 12 years ago. The Presidio was
closed by then as a military base but did have some things there for our use
at least for a few years. And then those things closed too. There was a
grocery store at the Oakland Army Base when we first moved there but that
closed soon after. Travis AFB was the next closest place. It was a good 2
hour drive so we only went there a few times a year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:14:39 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Landon" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I eat pizza about twice a year. Two days ago, I got one of Dominos
>> large pizzas and ate the whole thing in two days. I was craving it
>> like it was drugs or something.
>>
>> Well, this morning I've started paying for it the second time. I woke
>> with the left ankle hurting so much I can hardly support myself on it.
>> I haven't had a Gout attack in years.
>>
>> With my diabetes, I shouldn't be eating pizza anyway and surely not
>> the amount I let myself eat this time.
>>
>> Shame on me!
>>
>> It is curious that pizza caused it this time. That's a first for me.
>> Perhaps it was the quantity. I still can't believe I ate that much. I
>> just sort of went nuts I guess.
>>
>> Temporary insanity! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
>>
>> Owwwwww, my damn ankle hurts like hell!

>Get yourself a big bottle of 100% pure cherry juice. Not juice from
>concentrate. Just pure cherry juice. Drink several glasse sa day. Your
>gout should improve quickly. I used it to cure my toe goiut some years ago
>and it was a miracle cure.
>
>Paul

Thanks Paul. I've been downing some blueberry juice today, but being
diabetic puts the brakes to too much fruit juice.

I swear, sometimes my body hates me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 19:22:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>> Get yourself a big bottle of 100% pure cherry juice. Not juice from
>>> concentrate. Just pure cherry juice. Drink several glasse sa day. Your
>>> gout should improve quickly. I used it to cure my toe goiut some years
>>> ago and it was a miracle cure.

>You're telling a diabetic to drink cherry juice? He may as well just shoot
>himself. The death will be quicker and much less painful.
>
>I do take tart cherry pills. Not sure if they would have the same effect as
>the juice. I take them because they contain antioxidants.

Thanks Julie. I just answered him with that information, then I saw
your post saying the same thing. I think maybe he missed the fact
that I'm diabetic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:36:27 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>Considering an entire large Domino's pizza could contain over 9 grams
>of sodium, I wonder if landon's ankles could have been swollen, adding
>to the pain of gout.

I take a "water" pill every morning, so water retention isn't a
problem. 9 grams of sodium.....oh man.....I've been very bad...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan > wrote:

>On Mar 27, 1:31*pm, "Mr. Bill" > wrote:

>> Always keep a scrip for Colchicine..and it is a miracle pill.

>Did you use it before the whole Colcrys bullshit? That orphan drug
>legislation is a consumer ripoff scheme.

I stocked up before the price went up. It goes down again in
another year or so -- it is only a three-year ripoff.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 3/27/2011 11:36 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mar 27, 1:31 pm, "Mr. > wrote:

>>> Always keep a scrip for Colchicine..and it is a miracle pill.

>> Did you use it before the whole Colcrys bullshit? That orphan drug
>> legislation is a consumer ripoff scheme.

> I stocked up before the price went up. It goes down again in
> another year or so -- it is only a three-year ripoff.

Generic colchicine is very inexpensive ! Spouse has had gout for nearly
two decades and never has colchicine cost much at all. In all those
years, never have either of us heard of "Colcrys" until today due to
this thread on RFC! It appears the 'marketing' folks have made changes
when the medication itself hasn't changed! ?! Seems it's all a 'bottom
line' issue when it comes to medications!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky > wrote:

>Generic colchicine is very inexpensive ! Spouse has had gout for nearly
>two decades and never has colchicine cost much at all. In all those
>years, never have either of us heard of "Colcrys" until today due to
>this thread on RFC! It appears the 'marketing' folks have made changes
>when the medication itself hasn't changed! ?! Seems it's all a 'bottom
>line' issue when it comes to medications!

Generic colchicine is unavailable in the U.S. at present, due to
a 3-year exclusive deal Congress gave some pharma sharks.

Wikipedia says a bottle of 100 now costs $475.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 3/28/2011 12:19 AM, Steve Pope wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> Generic colchicine is very inexpensive ! Spouse has had gout for nearly
>> two decades and never has colchicine cost much at all. In all those
>> years, never have either of us heard of "Colcrys" until today due to
>> this thread on RFC! It appears the 'marketing' folks have made changes
>> when the medication itself hasn't changed! ?! Seems it's all a 'bottom
>> line' issue when it comes to medications!

> Generic colchicine is unavailable in the U.S. at present, due to
> a 3-year exclusive deal Congress gave some pharma sharks.
>
> Wikipedia says a bottle of 100 now costs $475.

OMG! Say what ?! Egads & more! OUCH! Thankfully (knock on wood!) -
DH does have a bit of stash the colchicine and hopefully he'll never
need to use it! Even more thankfully, he's not had to use colchicine
lately! !! DANG!

Sky, who's astounded!

P.S. Next thing known - aspirin (salicylic acid) will cost more than
gold! Hold dear those willow trees!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Landon" > wrote in message
news

>>You're telling a diabetic to drink cherry juice? He may as well just
>>shoot
>>himself. The death will be quicker and much less painful.
>>
>>I do take tart cherry pills. Not sure if they would have the same effect
>>as
>>the juice. I take them because they contain antioxidants.

> Thanks Julie. I just answered him with that information, then I saw
> your post saying the same thing. I think maybe he missed the fact
> that I'm diabetic.

So am I. Not like I don't know what diabetes is.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Landon" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:14:39 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Landon" > wrote in message
. ..
>>>I eat pizza about twice a year. Two days ago, I got one of Dominos
>>> large pizzas and ate the whole thing in two days. I was craving it
>>> like it was drugs or something.
>>>
>>> Well, this morning I've started paying for it the second time. I woke
>>> with the left ankle hurting so much I can hardly support myself on it.
>>> I haven't had a Gout attack in years.
>>>
>>> With my diabetes, I shouldn't be eating pizza anyway and surely not
>>> the amount I let myself eat this time.
>>>
>>> Shame on me!
>>>
>>> It is curious that pizza caused it this time. That's a first for me.
>>> Perhaps it was the quantity. I still can't believe I ate that much. I
>>> just sort of went nuts I guess.
>>>
>>> Temporary insanity! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
>>>
>>> Owwwwww, my damn ankle hurts like hell!

>>Get yourself a big bottle of 100% pure cherry juice. Not juice from
>>concentrate. Just pure cherry juice. Drink several glasse sa day. Your
>>gout should improve quickly. I used it to cure my toe goiut some years
>>ago
>>and it was a miracle cure.
>>
>>Paul
>>

> Thanks Paul. I've been downing some blueberry juice today, but being
> diabetic puts the brakes to too much fruit juice.

True. But that is why you need to spread it out. I can drink about 6
ounces of raw cherry juice and won;t suffer a big spike. Raw juice is not
really all that sweet. In fact somtimes I cut it with water because it can
be so tart.

> I swear, sometimes my body hates me.

Well if you can't do juice the meds available work pretty good. You can
also focus on altering the pH of your urine from acid to alkaline. Possibly
your uric acid level is too high? A diet heavy in red meat will do that.

Paul