Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I made the lasanga.

The end result was edible but not something I would not go out of my way
for. I think part of the problem was the sauce. We really prefer Amy's
Organic. I must get more of that. Yes it is expensive.

I used a brand called Mom's that I got at Costco. I had issues with the
texture. It was not a smooth sauce. It reminded me of what my mom used to
make. Chunks of tomato and watery stuff. But it had leaves of basil in it
and whole cloves of garlic! I thought at first they were mushrooms, but no.
I will save the other jar for when husband is home. He's the big garlic
lover. Oddly it smelled heavily of garlic but it didn't taste overly
garlicky.

Because of the texture of the sauce (I think), the end result was quite
watery. I did sauté the spinach and zucchini quite well and made sure they
were drained before I put them in.

Daughter said there was too much cheese and it did seem that way. I used a
layer of pasta on the top and bottom and the zucchini in the middle with
cheese in between the layers. I used Ricotta with about half as much
cottage cheese mixed in. Also some Mozzarella and a small amount of
Parmesan. More Mozzarella on top and more Parmesan after it was baked.

The lasagna looked fine until I tried to remove it from the pan. And then
it just fell flat. The cheese didn't really ooze out as I thought it might.
It just sort of deflated.

Mostly we just picked around at it and ate the pasta out of it. But...
Neither of us felt well. I thought I had a migraine but maybe not because
she was complaining of stomach pains and a headache. I feel fine now. So
maybe something less than a 24 hour bug? I dunno.

I made enough for 4 servings. Will try it again on Tues.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

>The end result was edible but not something I would not go out of my way
>for. I think part of the problem was the sauce. We really prefer Amy's
>Organic. I must get more of that. Yes it is expensive.
>
>I used a brand called Mom's that I got at Costco. I had issues with the
>texture. It was not a smooth sauce. It reminded me of what my mom used to
>make. Chunks of tomato and watery stuff. But it had leaves of basil in it
>and whole cloves of garlic! I thought at first they were mushrooms, but no.
>I will save the other jar for when husband is home. He's the big garlic
>lover. Oddly it smelled heavily of garlic but it didn't taste overly
>garlicky.

>Because of the texture of the sauce (I think), the end result was quite
>watery. I did sauté the spinach and zucchini quite well and made sure they
>were drained before I put them in.

>Daughter said there was too much cheese and it did seem that way. I used a
>layer of pasta on the top and bottom and the zucchini in the middle with
>cheese in between the layers. I used Ricotta with about half as much
>cottage cheese mixed in. Also some Mozzarella and a small amount of
>Parmesan. More Mozzarella on top and more Parmesan after it was baked.

>The lasagna looked fine until I tried to remove it from the pan. And then
>it just fell flat. The cheese didn't really ooze out as I thought it might.
>It just sort of deflated.

>Mostly we just picked around at it and ate the pasta out of it. But...
>Neither of us felt well. I thought I had a migraine but maybe not because
>she was complaining of stomach pains and a headache. I feel fine now. So
>maybe something less than a 24 hour bug? I dunno.

>I made enough for 4 servings. Will try it again on Tues.

Thanks for the report. Some thoughts:

Watery-ness can sometimes be an unpredictable problem in almost
any pasta dish. I usually deal with this by placing each
serving of pasta in its dish, and if I notice any watery stuff comes
out of it I drain/blott it away. This is not something
you want to have happen, it does not happen often, but now and then
it does happen. The remedy is to remove (to the extent possible)
the watery component before serving.

You are right that some tomato sauces can separate out a watery
fraction. Other possible culprits are the cottage cheese, and
if you used something like rice pasta (I think you had said you were),
this might not behave the same way as conventional pasta and
lose moisture.

Very tangentially:

Tonight's pasta for me did not have that problem: it was intentionally
in broth. Penne, yuba, and leeks in a broth of pasta water and vegetable
stock. Salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, and EVOO. This really
is like pasta e fagioli, except instead of beans there is yuba,
and instead of chicken broth, there is a vegetable broth.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> [...]

> you want to have happen, it does not happen often, but now and then
> it does happen. The remedy is to remove (to the extent possible)
> the watery component before serving.
>
> You are right that some tomato sauces can separate out a watery
> fraction. Other possible culprits are the cottage cheese, and
> if you used something like rice pasta (I think you had said you were),
> this might not behave the same way as conventional pasta and
> lose moisture.
>
> Very tangentially:
>
> Tonight's pasta for me did not have that problem: it was intentionally
> in broth. Penne, yuba, and leeks in a broth of pasta water and vegetable
> stock. Salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, and EVOO. This really
> is like pasta e fagioli, except instead of beans there is yuba,
> and instead of chicken broth, there is a vegetable broth.

Ah... I didn't think about the pasta. I have used it before but never for
lasagna. The frozen stuff I buy for my daughter seems to have more pasta
and less sauce and cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 00:39:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>
>>>The end result was edible but not something I would not go out of my way
>>>for. I think part of the problem was the sauce. We really prefer Amy's
>>>Organic. I must get more of that. Yes it is expensive.
>>>
>>>I used a brand called Mom's that I got at Costco. I had issues with the
>>>texture. It was not a smooth sauce. It reminded me of what my mom used
>>>make. Chunks of tomato and watery stuff. But it had leaves of basil in
>>>it
>>>and whole cloves of garlic! I thought at first they were mushrooms, but
>>>no.
>>>I will save the other jar for when husband is home. He's the big garlic
>>>lover. Oddly it smelled heavily of garlic but it didn't taste overly
>>>garlicky.

>>>Because of the texture of the sauce (I think), the end result was quite
>>>watery. I did sauté the spinach and zucchini quite well and made sure
>>>they
>>>were drained before I put them in.

>>>Daughter said there was too much cheese and it did seem that way. I used
>>>layer of pasta on the top and bottom and the zucchini in the middle with
>>>cheese in between the layers. I used Ricotta with about half as much
>>>cottage cheese mixed in. Also some Mozzarella and a small amount of
>>>Parmesan. More Mozzarella on top and more Parmesan after it was baked.

>>>The lasagna looked fine until I tried to remove it from the pan. And then
>>>it just fell flat. The cheese didn't really ooze out as I thought it
>>>might.
>>>It just sort of deflated.

>>>Mostly we just picked around at it and ate the pasta out of it. But...
>>>Neither of us felt well. I thought I had a migraine but maybe not because
>>>she was complaining of stomach pains and a headache. I feel fine now. So
>>>maybe something less than a 24 hour bug? I dunno.

>>>I made enough for 4 servings. Will try it again on Tues.

>> Thanks for the report. Some thoughts:
>>
>> Watery-ness can sometimes be an unpredictable problem in almost
>> any pasta dish. I usually deal with this by placing each
>> serving of pasta in its dish, and if I notice any watery stuff comes
>> out of it I drain/blott it away. This is not something
>> you want to have happen, it does not happen often, but now and then
>> it does happen. The remedy is to remove (to the extent possible)
>> the watery component before serving.
>>
>> You are right that some tomato sauces can separate out a watery
>> fraction. Other possible culprits are the cottage cheese, and
>> if you used something like rice pasta (I think you had said you were),
>> this might not behave the same way as conventional pasta and
>> lose moisture.
>>
>> Very tangentially:

>Ah... I didn't think about the pasta. I have used it before but never for
>lasagna. The frozen stuff I buy for my daughter seems to have more pasta
>and less sauce and cheese.

If you put watery sauce, cottage cheese and zucchini into any dish
it's going to come out very wet. Your recipe sounds VERY unappealing
to me. Two sheets of pasta isn't enough to hold anything together
either.

btw one cure for wetness in a lasagna is simply putting it back in the
oven and baking it again. It's not going to hurt it.

Go easy on the cheese and heavy on the sauce/pasta. Then bake it until
it's done. If it's not done, then bake it some more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> The end result was edible but not something I would not go out of my way
> for. I think part of the problem was the sauce. We really prefer Amy's
> Organic. I must get more of that. Yes it is expensive.

[snip]
> Daughter said there was too much cheese and it did seem that way. I used a
> layer of pasta on the top and bottom and the zucchini in the middle with
> cheese in between the layers. I used Ricotta with about half as much
> cottage cheese mixed in. Also some Mozzarella and a small amount of
> Parmesan. More Mozzarella on top and more Parmesan after it was baked.
>
> The lasagna looked fine until I tried to remove it from the pan. And then
> it just fell flat. The cheese didn't really ooze out as I thought it might.
> It just sort of deflated.

I hope you meant remove each serving from the pan, and not remove the
whole lasagna from the pan! It should tighten up quite a bit
overnight unless you severely overcooked the noodles before you
assembled it.

Did it taste OK, even if it didn't look great?

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:14:13 -0600, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> I assemble my lasagna with fresh made, uncooked pasta (full sized
> sheets, no gaps, rolled thin) and the pasta cooks in the oven absorbing
> liquid from the sauce and cheese mixtures. I've never had a watery
> result.

So far no boil lasagna noodles have soaked up any moisture mistakes
I've made.

I haven't made my own lasagna noodles yet... <thought bubble> maybe
I'll try that today. Do you make them early and let them dry a couple
of hours before you use them or just roll them out and use
immediately? I need to get cracking if I want to make my own for
today! How much dough would you say one extra large egg would
make? I'm also thinking about using egg + water for dough. I saw it
done yesterday on the Cooking channel. Have you ever tried making
that type of dough?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:14:13 -0600, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
> >
> > I assemble my lasagna with fresh made, uncooked pasta (full sized
> > sheets, no gaps, rolled thin) and the pasta cooks in the oven absorbing
> > liquid from the sauce and cheese mixtures. I've never had a watery
> > result.

> So far no boil lasagna noodles have soaked up any moisture mistakes
> I've made.
>
> I haven't made my own lasagna noodles yet... <thought bubble> maybe
> I'll try that today. Do you make them early and let them dry a couple
> of hours before you use them or just roll them out and use
> immediately? I need to get cracking if I want to make my own for
> today! How much dough would you say one extra large egg would
> make? I'm also thinking about using egg + water for dough. I saw it
> done yesterday on the Cooking channel. Have you ever tried making
> that type of dough?

I roll the pasta as I'm assembling the lasagna, i.e. I prep the cheese
mix, sauce, meats, etc. first, along with the basic pasta dough so it
can rest a little after the initial rolling/kneeding. I usually do an
egg pasta, but you can also do it without the egg. In this application I
don't think you'll see much difference.

I roll the pasta down to about #5 on my machine, not all the way to the
thinnest setting. Since the roller is 6" wide and the pan is about 9"
wide, I take the sheet of pasta I've rolled, cut it to length (12"),
then I hand stretch it width wise to get to 9" and place it in the
lasagna assembly. I apply the next layer of sauce/meat/cheese, then roll
some more pasta, cut, stretch, apply, etc. The stretching of course
makes the pasta thinner also.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:54:24 -0600, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:14:13 -0600, "Pete C." >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I assemble my lasagna with fresh made, uncooked pasta (full sized
> > > sheets, no gaps, rolled thin) and the pasta cooks in the oven absorbing
> > > liquid from the sauce and cheese mixtures. I've never had a watery
> > > result.

> > So far no boil lasagna noodles have soaked up any moisture mistakes
> > I've made.
> >
> > I haven't made my own lasagna noodles yet... <thought bubble> maybe
> > I'll try that today. Do you make them early and let them dry a couple
> > of hours before you use them or just roll them out and use
> > immediately? I need to get cracking if I want to make my own for
> > today! How much dough would you say one extra large egg would
> > make? I'm also thinking about using egg + water for dough. I saw it
> > done yesterday on the Cooking channel. Have you ever tried making
> > that type of dough?

> I roll the pasta as I'm assembling the lasagna, i.e. I prep the cheese
> mix, sauce, meats, etc. first, along with the basic pasta dough so it
> can rest a little after the initial rolling/kneeding. I usually do an
> egg pasta, but you can also do it without the egg. In this application I
> don't think you'll see much difference.
>
> I roll the pasta down to about #5 on my machine, not all the way to the
> thinnest setting. Since the roller is 6" wide and the pan is about 9"
> wide, I take the sheet of pasta I've rolled, cut it to length (12"),
> then I hand stretch it width wise to get to 9" and place it in the
> lasagna assembly. I apply the next layer of sauce/meat/cheese, then roll
> some more pasta, cut, stretch, apply, etc. The stretching of course
> makes the pasta thinner also.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll put them to work today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> The end result was edible but not something I would not go out of my way
>> for. I think part of the problem was the sauce. We really prefer Amy's
>> Organic. I must get more of that. Yes it is expensive.

> [snip]
>> Daughter said there was too much cheese and it did seem that way. I used
>> a layer of pasta on the top and bottom and the zucchini in the middle
>> with cheese in between the layers. I used Ricotta with about half as
>> much cottage cheese mixed in. Also some Mozzarella and a small amount of
>> Parmesan. More Mozzarella on top and more Parmesan after it was baked.
>>
>> The lasagna looked fine until I tried to remove it from the pan. And
>> then it just fell flat. The cheese didn't really ooze out as I thought
>> it might. It just sort of deflated.
>>

> I hope you meant remove each serving from the pan, and not remove the
> whole lasagna from the pan! It should tighten up quite a bit overnight
> unless you severely overcooked the noodles before you assembled it.
>
> Did it taste OK, even if it didn't look great?

It didn't taste all the great but I think that was because of the sauce I
used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >> The end result was edible but not something I would not go out of my way
> >> for. I think part of the problem was the sauce. We really prefer Amy's
> >> Organic. I must get more of that. Yes it is expensive.

> > [snip]
> >> Daughter said there was too much cheese and it did seem that way. I used
> >> a layer of pasta on the top and bottom and the zucchini in the middle
> >> with cheese in between the layers. I used Ricotta with about half as
> >> much cottage cheese mixed in. Also some Mozzarella and a small amount of
> >> Parmesan. More Mozzarella on top and more Parmesan after it was baked.
> >>
> >> The lasagna looked fine until I tried to remove it from the pan. And
> >> then it just fell flat. The cheese didn't really ooze out as I thought
> >> it might. It just sort of deflated.
> >>

> > I hope you meant remove each serving from the pan, and not remove the
> > whole lasagna from the pan! It should tighten up quite a bit overnight
> > unless you severely overcooked the noodles before you assembled it.
> >
> > Did it taste OK, even if it didn't look great?

> It didn't taste all the great but I think that was because of the sauce I
> used.

For commercial sauce, I always use Classico sauce (available most
everywhere, including Sam's and Costco). Classico is really quite good
and has essentially no funky ingredients, the only non home kitchen
ingredient is a little calcium chloride which helps keep the tomatoes
from turning to mush when canned (jarred).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

>I used rice pasta. Very easy to overcook.

Use the *original* pasta:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...hicken-Lasagna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> I hope you meant remove each serving from the pan, and not remove the
>>> whole lasagna from the pan! It should tighten up quite a bit overnight
>>> unless you severely overcooked the noodles before you assembled it.
>>>
>>> Did it taste OK, even if it didn't look great?

>> It didn't taste all the great but I think that was because of the sauce I
>> used.

> For commercial sauce, I always use Classico sauce (available most
> everywhere, including Sam's and Costco). Classico is really quite good
> and has essentially no funky ingredients, the only non home kitchen
> ingredient is a little calcium chloride which helps keep the tomatoes
> from turning to mush when canned (jarred).

I Hunt's sauce, in a can. (last time I made lasagna I used the
mushroom flavored.) Del Monte canned sauce is also quite good, but I
haven't seen it in the stores lately.

-Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I used rice pasta. Very easy to overcook.

> Use the *original* pasta:
> http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...hicken-Lasagna

I mentioned those last week and she said something about them cooking
apart in a crockpot. I had hoped it was just a Julie-ism. (who cooks
lasagna in a slow cooker? OF COURSE it turned out watery)

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 18:00:59 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I used rice pasta. Very easy to overcook.

>> Use the *original* pasta:
>> http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...hicken-Lasagna
>>

>I mentioned those last week and she said something about them cooking
>apart in a crockpot. I had hoped it was just a Julie-ism. (who cooks
>lasagna in a slow cooker? OF COURSE it turned out watery)
>
>-Bob

Braised lasagna has to suck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

>"Pete C." > wrote in message

>> You make fresh rice based pasta?

>No. This was dried. I have never seen fresh and the only recipes I've
>found for fresh take egg. I can't have egg.

Fresh eggless rice pasta sounds like a good market niche.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
news
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>I used rice pasta. Very easy to overcook.

> Use the *original* pasta:
> http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...hicken-Lasagna

Daughter would probably like that but I can't stand sour cream and it would
appear to have way too many carbs for me. I have made an enchilada
casserole that is similar. Which is what I would call that and not lasagna.
That wouldn't taste like lasagna at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I used rice pasta. Very easy to overcook.

>> Use the *original* pasta:
>> http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...hicken-Lasagna
>>

> I mentioned those last week and she said something about them cooking
> apart in a crockpot. I had hoped it was just a Julie-ism. (who cooks
> lasagna in a slow cooker? OF COURSE it turned out watery)

I said I made enchilada casserole in a crockpot and if cooked for more than
an hour, the tortillas totally melted into the dish. But it didn't turn out
watery. I have not tried lasagna in a crockpot but I am sure it can be
done. You can cook pretty much anything in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
ster.com...

> Julie Bove wrote:

>> > [snip]

>> > I hope you meant remove each serving from the pan, and not remove the
>> > whole lasagna from the pan! It should tighten up quite a bit overnight
>> > unless you severely overcooked the noodles before you assembled it.
>> >
>> > Did it taste OK, even if it didn't look great?

>> It didn't taste all the great but I think that was because of the sauce I
>> used.

> For commercial sauce, I always use Classico sauce (available most
> everywhere, including Sam's and Costco). Classico is really quite good
> and has essentially no funky ingredients, the only non home kitchen
> ingredient is a little calcium chloride which helps keep the tomatoes
> from turning to mush when canned (jarred).

I can't use that kind but I can't remember the reason. It either has an
allergen, high fructose corn syrup or is too high in carbs. I think I can
use the organic one, but there is only one flavor that we like. The basil
one wasn't good. And it's very hard to find. I found it once at Costco but
never again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Pete C. wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> It didn't taste all the great but I think that was because of the sauce
>>> used.

>> For commercial sauce, I always use Classico sauce (available most
>> everywhere, including Sam's and Costco). Classico is really quite good
>> and has essentially no funky ingredients, the only non home kitchen
>> ingredient is a little calcium chloride which helps keep the tomatoes
>> from turning to mush when canned (jarred).

> I Hunt's sauce, in a can. (last time I made lasagna I used the mushroom
> flavored.) Del Monte canned sauce is also quite good, but I haven't seen
> it in the stores lately.

I can't use Hunts. I used to use it. Can't use it now but can't remember
why. It is cheap though!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>>I used rice pasta. Very easy to overcook.

>> Use the *original* pasta:
>> http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...hicken-Lasagna

>Daughter would probably like that but I can't stand sour cream and it would
>appear to have way too many carbs for me. I have made an enchilada
>casserole that is similar. Which is what I would call that and not lasagna.
>That wouldn't taste like lasagna at all.

I as well would call it an enchilada casserole. Obviously it is not
lasagna in any form.

I also would not use three jar of salsa in a casserole unless
they were unsalted or very lower than usual salt. A 16 oz. jar
of salsa usually has anywhere from 3 to 6 grams of sodium in it.
The outcome of this dish would hinge upon what sort of salsa one
uses.

The dish does not look particularly high carb to me, if it's actually
24 servings with only 36 tortillas. A corn tortilla is about 60
calories, all carbs, so that's 90 carb calories per serving from
the tortillas.

I normally consider a single-serving enchilada to contain three
corn tortillas.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>>"Pete C." > wrote in message

>>> You make fresh rice based pasta?

>>No. This was dried. I have never seen fresh and the only recipes I've
>>found for fresh take egg. I can't have egg.

> Fresh eggless rice pasta sounds like a good market niche.

I don't know how much demand there would be for it. I would like to make
ravioli though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:

>>> Use the *original* pasta:
>>> http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...hicken-Lasagna

>>Daughter would probably like that but I can't stand sour cream and it
>>would
>>appear to have way too many carbs for me. I have made an enchilada
>>casserole that is similar. Which is what I would call that and not
>>lasagna.
>>That wouldn't taste like lasagna at all.

> I as well would call it an enchilada casserole. Obviously it is not
> lasagna in any form.
>
> I also would not use three jar of salsa in a casserole unless
> they were unsalted or very lower than usual salt. A 16 oz. jar
> of salsa usually has anywhere from 3 to 6 grams of sodium in it.
> The outcome of this dish would hinge upon what sort of salsa one
> uses.
>
> The dish does not look particularly high carb to me, if it's actually
> 24 servings with only 36 tortillas. A corn tortilla is about 60
> calories, all carbs, so that's 90 carb calories per serving from
> the tortillas.
>
> I normally consider a single-serving enchilada to contain three
> corn tortillas.

For me 45 grams of carb is the limit. So that would have to factor in the
sauce as well. Some cheeses do contain carbs, but I doubt that what I would
put in there would add up to much. Actually the recipe I use does not have
cheese at all, but creamed corn. Gives it the appearance of cheese but no
dairy. I use a lot of meat in mine and fewer tortillas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 00:25:39 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

>Julie Bove > wrote:

>>> Use the *original* pasta:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...hicken-Lasagna

>>Daughter would probably like that but I can't stand sour cream and it would
>>appear to have way too many carbs for me. I have made an enchilada
>>casserole that is similar. Which is what I would call that and not lasagna.
>>That wouldn't taste like lasagna at all.

>I as well would call it an enchilada casserole. Obviously it is not
>lasagna in any form.
>
>I also would not use three jar of salsa in a casserole unless
>they were unsalted or very lower than usual salt. A 16 oz. jar
>of salsa usually has anywhere from 3 to 6 grams of sodium in it.
>The outcome of this dish would hinge upon what sort of salsa one
>uses.
>
>The dish does not look particularly high carb to me, if it's actually
>24 servings with only 36 tortillas. A corn tortilla is about 60
>calories, all carbs, so that's 90 carb calories per serving from
>the tortillas.
>
>I normally consider a single-serving enchilada to contain three
>corn tortillas.
>
>Steve

It was offered ONLY in the context of the aforementioned rice noodles
and for the fact that corn tortillas contain no wheat... nothing says
one can't use tortillas and run with it making everything else as
guinea as one wants... of course one needs to at least possess
rudimentary culinary skills.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:45:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:

>>>Daughter would probably like that but I can't stand sour cream and it
>>>would
>>>appear to have way too many carbs for me. I have made an enchilada
>>>casserole that is similar. Which is what I would call that and not
>>>lasagna.
>>>That wouldn't taste like lasagna at all.

>> I as well would call it an enchilada casserole. Obviously it is not
>> lasagna in any form.
>>
>> I also would not use three jar of salsa in a casserole unless
>> they were unsalted or very lower than usual salt. A 16 oz. jar
>> of salsa usually has anywhere from 3 to 6 grams of sodium in it.
>> The outcome of this dish would hinge upon what sort of salsa one
>> uses.
>>
>> The dish does not look particularly high carb to me, if it's actually
>> 24 servings with only 36 tortillas. A corn tortilla is about 60
>> calories, all carbs, so that's 90 carb calories per serving from
>> the tortillas.
>>
>> I normally consider a single-serving enchilada to contain three
>> corn tortillas.

>For me 45 grams of carb is the limit. So that would have to factor in the
>sauce as well. Some cheeses do contain carbs, but I doubt that what I would
>put in there would add up to much. Actually the recipe I use does not have
>cheese at all, but creamed corn. Gives it the appearance of cheese but no
>dairy. I use a lot of meat in mine and fewer tortillas.

You have more alibis than Carter's has little liver pills... have you
considered a permanent stomach tube/an IV.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:45:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> I as well would call it an enchilada casserole. Obviously it is not
>>> lasagna in any form.
>>>
>>> I also would not use three jar of salsa in a casserole unless
>>> they were unsalted or very lower than usual salt. A 16 oz. jar
>>> of salsa usually has anywhere from 3 to 6 grams of sodium in it.
>>> The outcome of this dish would hinge upon what sort of salsa one
>>> uses.
>>>
>>> The dish does not look particularly high carb to me, if it's actually
>>> 24 servings with only 36 tortillas. A corn tortilla is about 60
>>> calories, all carbs, so that's 90 carb calories per serving from
>>> the tortillas.
>>>
>>> I normally consider a single-serving enchilada to contain three
>>> corn tortillas.

>>For me 45 grams of carb is the limit. So that would have to factor in the
>>sauce as well. Some cheeses do contain carbs, but I doubt that what I
>>would
>>put in there would add up to much. Actually the recipe I use does not
>>have
>>cheese at all, but creamed corn. Gives it the appearance of cheese but no
>>dairy. I use a lot of meat in mine and fewer tortillas.

> You have more alibis than Carter's has little liver pills... have you
> considered a permanent stomach tube/an IV.

No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove > wrote:

> >>No. This was dried. I have never seen fresh and the only recipes I've
> >>found for fresh take egg. I can't have egg.

> > Fresh eggless rice pasta sounds like a good market niche.

> I don't know how much demand there would be for it. I would like to make
> ravioli though.

Certainly fresh standard pasta can be made without eggs. I've never
tried making rice based pasta, but I suspect it can be made without egg
as well. The asian rice noodles don't seem to have egg.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 00:25:39 +0000 (UTC),
> (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove > wrote:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...hicken-Lasagna

>>>Daughter would probably like that but I can't stand sour cream and it
>>>would
>>>appear to have way too many carbs for me. I have made an enchilada
>>>casserole that is similar. Which is what I would call that and not
>>>lasagna.
>>>That wouldn't taste like lasagna at all.

>>I as well would call it an enchilada casserole. Obviously it is not
>>lasagna in any form.
>>
>>I also would not use three jar of salsa in a casserole unless
>>they were unsalted or very lower than usual salt. A 16 oz. jar
>>of salsa usually has anywhere from 3 to 6 grams of sodium in it.
>>The outcome of this dish would hinge upon what sort of salsa one
>>uses.
>>
>>The dish does not look particularly high carb to me, if it's actually
>>24 servings with only 36 tortillas. A corn tortilla is about 60
>>calories, all carbs, so that's 90 carb calories per serving from
>>the tortillas.
>>
>>I normally consider a single-serving enchilada to contain three
>>corn tortillas.
>>
>>Steve

> It was offered ONLY in the context of the aforementioned rice noodles
> and for the fact that corn tortillas contain no wheat... nothing says
> one can't use tortillas and run with it making everything else as
> guinea as one wants... of course one needs to at least possess
> rudimentary culinary skills.

I would never call anything that uses corn tortillas lasagna. It just
wouldn't be. I'm not even sure I would use corn pasta in there. Not that
I've ever seen any corn pasta in the form of lasagna.

The rice pasta is rather bland. My Italian husband has not even noticed the
difference in it. I do use a corn and quinoa pasta for pasta salad as it
holds up better when cold. People do notice a difference in the taste but
always assume it is in my dressing. I use a Tri-Color pasta in a standard
shape so it doesn't look any different than wheat pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> ster.com...
> >
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> It didn't taste all the great but I think that was because of the sauce I
> >> used.

> > For commercial sauce, I always use Classico sauce (available most
> > everywhere, including Sam's and Costco). Classico is really quite good
> > and has essentially no funky ingredients, the only non home kitchen
> > ingredient is a little calcium chloride which helps keep the tomatoes
> > from turning to mush when canned (jarred).

> I can't use that kind but I can't remember the reason. It either has an
> allergen, high fructose corn syrup or is too high in carbs. I think I can
> use the organic one, but there is only one flavor that we like. The basil
> one wasn't good. And it's very hard to find. I found it once at Costco but
> never again.

The jar of Classico Tomato and Basil from my pantry says:

Tomato puree (water, tomato paste), diced tomatoes (tomatoes, tomato
juice, citric acid, calcium chloride), salt, basil, garlic, olive oil,
onions, dehydrated garlic, spice.

The label also notes "all natural" and gluten-free. 9g carbs per 1/2c
serving. Honestly this is decent stuff, and pretty cheap in the big 96oz
total 3pks at Sam's or Costco.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> The dish does not look particularly high carb to me, if it's actually
>> 24 servings with only 36 tortillas. A corn tortilla is about 60
>> calories, all carbs, so that's 90 carb calories per serving from
>> the tortillas.

>For me 45 grams of carb is the limit. So that would have to factor in the
>sauce as well. Some cheeses do contain carbs, but I doubt that what I would
>put in there would add up to much.

Yes, this would brush up against your limit. (Is the 45 g a daily
limit, or a per-major-meal limit?)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 00:25:39 +0000 (UTC),
> > (Steve Pope) wrote:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...hicken-Lasagna

> >>I as well would call it an enchilada casserole. Obviously it is not
> >>lasagna in any form.
> >>
> >>I also would not use three jar of salsa in a casserole unless
> >>they were unsalted or very lower than usual salt. A 16 oz. jar
> >>of salsa usually has anywhere from 3 to 6 grams of sodium in it.
> >>The outcome of this dish would hinge upon what sort of salsa one
> >>uses.
> >>
> >>The dish does not look particularly high carb to me, if it's actually
> >>24 servings with only 36 tortillas. A corn tortilla is about 60
> >>calories, all carbs, so that's 90 carb calories per serving from
> >>the tortillas.
> >>
> >>I normally consider a single-serving enchilada to contain three
> >>corn tortillas.
> >>
> >>Steve

> > It was offered ONLY in the context of the aforementioned rice noodles
> > and for the fact that corn tortillas contain no wheat... nothing says
> > one can't use tortillas and run with it making everything else as
> > guinea as one wants... of course one needs to at least possess
> > rudimentary culinary skills.

> I would never call anything that uses corn tortillas lasagna. It just
> wouldn't be. I'm not even sure I would use corn pasta in there. Not that
> I've ever seen any corn pasta in the form of lasagna.
>
> The rice pasta is rather bland. My Italian husband has not even noticed the
> difference in it. I do use a corn and quinoa pasta for pasta salad as it
> holds up better when cold. People do notice a difference in the taste but
> always assume it is in my dressing. I use a Tri-Color pasta in a standard
> shape so it doesn't look any different than wheat pasta.

Pasta in lasagna tends not to stand out, so I suspect you can take quite
a few liberties with it without issues as long as the rest of the
lasagna is up to snuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> I can't use that kind but I can't remember the reason. It either has an
>> allergen, high fructose corn syrup or is too high in carbs. I think I can
>> use the organic one, but there is only one flavor that we like. The basil
>> one wasn't good. And it's very hard to find. I found it once at Costco but
>> never again.

> The jar of Classico Tomato and Basil from my pantry says:
>
> Tomato puree (water, tomato paste), diced tomatoes (tomatoes, tomato
> juice, citric acid, calcium chloride), salt, basil, garlic, olive oil,
> onions, dehydrated garlic, spice.
>
> The label also notes "all natural" and gluten-free. 9g carbs per 1/2c
> serving. Honestly this is decent stuff, and pretty cheap in the big 96oz
> total 3pks at Sam's or Costco.

Give it up, Pete, it doesn't matter. We've been sucked into a drama
again (and I don't mean "sucked" in a good way.) I don't know why I
keep falling for it...

-Bob

Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato And CheesePierogi Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 25 18-07-2011 01:08 AM
hand made samosa or ready made? bishoo.devendra Mexican Cooking 13 23-06-2011 04:38 PM
Lasanga! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 8 01-04-2011 10:31 PM
US-made pizza recalled due to E. coli; maybe China should boycott all US-made pizzas [email protected] General Cooking 29 08-11-2007 11:58 PM
Loaf Pan Lasanga [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 20-09-2005 02:32 AM