Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food Bank Reminder! March 2011

Along the lines of the "calamities" thread... many years ago I promised I'd
mention Food Banks here on a quarterly basis. I fell by the wayside, sorry!
Easter is approaching and this is the still the first quarter of the year,
so here's my first quarter reminder It only costs a few cents on the
dollar to add a couple of extra cans of veggies, a bag of rice or dried
beans to your shopping cart. Toilet paper, etc. People make fun of a
particular person here for eating Spam but I've got news for you, it
actually tastes good. Some food banks have the facilities to store frozen
goods but not all of them do, so check first. Please support your local
food bank!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote

> What do you mean, "It only costs a few cents on the dollar".
>
> Everything you mention costs a dollar or more, no matter how you add
> it up.
>

> -sw

If you buy $50 in groceries and add in two cans of beans for the food bank,
it is a few cents on your $50 bill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
>"Sqwertz" wrote
>>
>> What do you mean, "It only costs a few cents on the dollar".
>>
>> Everything you mention costs a dollar or more, no matter how you add
>> it up.

>If you buy $50 in groceries and add in two cans of beans for the food bank,
>it is a few cents on your $50 bill.

Not really... it's a percentage of the entire grocery bill... but the
beans are still regular price, it's been a very long time since a can
of beans cost 9¢. There is no way to justify by price, one either
wants to give to a food bank or they don't. I give to the four legged
food bank... the two legged can get a job.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:49:04 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "Ed
Pawlowski" > wrote,

>"Sqwertz" > wrote
>>
>> What do you mean, "It only costs a few cents on the dollar".
>>
>> Everything you mention costs a dollar or more, no matter how you add
>> it up.
>>

>> -sw

>If you buy $50 in groceries and add in two cans of beans for the food bank,
>it is a few cents on your $50 bill.

It is exactly the same number of cents on your bill as if you bought
only the two cans of beans. There is no quantity discount, most
stores.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"David Harmon" > wrote in message
m...
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:49:04 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "Ed
> Pawlowski" > wrote,
>>
>>"Sqwertz" > wrote
>>>
>>> What do you mean, "It only costs a few cents on the dollar".
>>>
>>> Everything you mention costs a dollar or more, no matter how you add
>>> it up.
>>>

>>> -sw

>>If you buy $50 in groceries and add in two cans of beans for the food
>>bank,
>>it is a few cents on your $50 bill.

> It is exactly the same number of cents on your bill as if you bought
> only the two cans of beans. There is no quantity discount, most
> stores.

It's the metal process. If you are spending $2 for yourself, spending $2
for the food bank doubles your cost. If you are spending $100 for yourself,
it is easier to justify "it only another couple of bucks" .

I read that some banks are going to charge $5 to use their ATM if you are
not a customer. That is 25% if you take only $20, pure theivery, but merely
pennies on the dollar if you are taking $400 so you can stay at the
blackjack table a little longer. Amazing how things can be justified.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:37:03 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:

> It's the metal process. If you are spending $2 for yourself, spending $2
> for the food bank doubles your cost. If you are spending $100 for yourself,
> it is easier to justify "it only another couple of bucks" .

Apparently "cents on the dollar" is a catch phrase he's never heard
before. The rest of us understood in the first place and still
understand.

> I read that some banks are going to charge $5 to use their ATM if you are
> not a customer.

I thought they've charged non-customers from the git go.

> That is 25% if you take only $20, pure theivery, but merely
> pennies on the dollar if you are taking $400 so you can stay at the
> blackjack table a little longer. Amazing how things can be justified.

Yep. These are the same thieves that won't restructure loans (lower
the APR to the current rate) for people who are underwater but can
still afford to make payments. Apparently they *want* people to walk
away from their homes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote

>> I read that some banks are going to charge $5 to use their ATM if you are
>> not a customer.

> I thought they've charged non-customers from the git go.

Yes, but most are around $2. Quite a j ump to five, plus what your own bank
may charge.

I use my own bank's once in a while, but most times, I get cash back when
using the debit card to buy at a store. Most are no charge for the service.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nice reminder, Jill.
When my market has a BOGO and the items aren't complete junk, I grab
em and donate one of the items, or even two if it's something I don't
eat. It's a painless way to help the food banks. My market usually
has a bin for donations near the exits, so it's about as handy as yuh
kin git.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:36:16 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:

> I use my own bank's once in a while, but most times, I get cash back when
> using the debit card to buy at a store. Most are no charge for the service.

Yeah, that's the easiest way to get cash.... unless you're away from
home. Then you're over a barrel and need an ATM.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I read that some banks are going to charge $5 to use their ATM if you
> are not a customer. That is 25% if you take only $20, pure theivery,

Apparently a lot of people enjoy paying that ATM fee so much,
they go every day or so and get $20.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 5:10*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:36:16 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
>
> > wrote:
> > I use my own bank's once in a while, but most times, I get cash back when
> > using the debit card to buy at a store. *Most are no charge for the service.

> Yeah, that's the easiest way to get cash.... unless you're away from
> home. *Then you're over a barrel and need an ATM.
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

I take cash back when using my debit card to make a purchase when I'm
away from home, because it's the only way to get $ without being
charged for using a "foreign" ATM. I never use an ATM to get cash,
except where I have access to my own bank's ATM, for that reason.

When traveling, stop into a Walgreens or CVS, pick up a cold drink,
newspaper or candy bar... and get $100 cash back. No fees.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 19:17:16 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Apparently a lot of people enjoy paying that ATM fee so much,
>> they go every day or so and get $20.

> Walmart will allow up to $100 cash back on a purchase of bubble gum.
> My real grocery store allows $50, as well as Walgreens. Need $100?
> Buy two packs of gum.

And at least you'd have something for the money instead of just
handing over money to get your hands on your own money. Let's
make it Altoids or something, I can't take gum.

ancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:53:18 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, sf
> wrote,
>On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:37:03 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:
>
>> It's the metal process. If you are spending $2 for yourself, spending $2
>> for the food bank doubles your cost. If you are spending $100 for yourself,
>> it is easier to justify "it only another couple of bucks" .
>>

>Apparently "cents on the dollar" is a catch phrase he's never heard
>before. The rest of us understood in the first place and still
>understand.

No, I'm quite familiar with the phrase "cents on the dollar";
it refers to getting something at a small fraction of the regular
price. It's completely wrong in this case. There is no such
savings involved.

The "easier to justify" part is just non sense. The justification
for buying something for the food bank is exactly the same if you
are buying nothing else. The two transactions have nothing to do
with each other, even if you do them together. Thinking otherwise
is just fooling yourself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 16:54:12 -0700 (PDT), Catmandy (Sheryl) wrote:
>
>> When traveling, stop into a Walgreens or CVS, pick up a cold drink,
>> newspaper or candy bar... and get $100 cash back. No fees.

> Walgreens here only allows $50. And I don't chop at CVS since they
> require a loyalty card.

I have a CVS loyalty card, all it has is, MR DAN, no address, no real name,
no nothing else. Just say "do you mean I have to give up my personal right
to privacy to get the deals.". They gave me one, just like Krogers and and
other stores. What you will not get is check cashing, but who uses those
anymore. They will on occasion ask for an email address, but do not do it.
A charge card may also link up the card as well so I do not do that either.

Member

Easter is approaching and this is the still the first quarter of the year,
so here's my first quarter reminder It only costs a few cents on the
dollar to add a couple of extra cans of veggies, There is no way to justify by price, one either
wants to give to a food bank or they don't. "pennies on the dollar" compared to my take home pay or
savings account. That term is usually reserved for how much you're
*saving* when comparing it to it's worth or original cost.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Along the lines of the "calamities" thread... many years ago I promised
> I'd mention Food Banks here on a quarterly basis. I fell by the wayside,
> sorry! Easter is approaching and this is the still the first quarter of
> the year, so here's my first quarter reminder It only costs a few
> cents on the dollar to add a couple of extra cans of veggies, a bag of
> rice or dried beans to your shopping cart. Toilet paper, etc. People
> make fun of a particular person here for eating Spam but I've got news for
> you, it actually tastes good. Some food banks have the facilities to
> store frozen goods but not all of them do, so check first. Please support
> your local food bank!
>
> Jill

I always give cat food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2011 6:17 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I read that some banks are going to charge $5 to use their ATM if you
>> are not a customer. That is 25% if you take only $20, pure theivery,

> Apparently a lot of people enjoy paying that ATM fee so much, they go
> every day or so and get $20.
> nancy

My oldest son does that. We were traveling out of the country and he
only had $50 on him. He said he would just stop at ATM's like he does
at home. Kids, I don't understand them.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/03/2011 1:24 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:

>> Apparently a lot of people enjoy paying that ATM fee so much, they go
>> every day or so and get $20.
>> nancy

> My oldest son does that. We were traveling out of the country and he
> only had $50 on him. He said he would just stop at ATM's like he does at
> home. Kids, I don't understand them.

He may have got a better deal on exchange rates than you did. I have
travelled in the past with travellers cheques and paid premium exchange
rates, sometimes paid fees to cash them, had a lot of hassles cashing
them. Buying foreign currency through a bank or exchange kiosk usually
involves premium exchange rates. When you use an ATM you usually get a
much better exchange rate. When you use them at bank ATMS they charge a
couple bucks access fee each time, but since you are getting a much
better exchange rate you usually come out ahead. The trick is to
withdraw in larger amounts so that you pay the fee less often.

I usually carry enough of the local currency to get me through my fisrt
day and then count on a bank machine. I messed up once in Germany. I had
used up my German money on the ferry from Denmark. We arrived at the
hotel mid evening, had dinner and went to bed. I went out early in the
morning to find the bank. My card didn't work. I tried several times,
and tried three different machines in the bank. Then went to another
bank,I was about to give up and try to get a withdrawal at the counter
when I realized I had been using the wrong card. I had been inserting my
air miles card.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:36:16 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> > wrote:
>
> > I use my own bank's once in a while, but most times, I get cash back when
> > using the debit card to buy at a store. Most are no charge for the service.

> Yeah, that's the easiest way to get cash.... unless you're away from
> home. Then you're over a barrel and need an ATM.

I've never had problems getting cash back from a store when away from
home. I haven't done it very often, though.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote

> He may have got a better deal on exchange rates than you did. I have
> travelled in the past with travellers cheques and paid premium exchange
> rates, sometimes paid fees to cash them, had a lot of hassles cashing
> them. Buying foreign currency through a bank or exchange kiosk usually
> involves premium exchange rates. When you use an ATM you usually get a
> much better exchange rate. When you use them at bank ATMS they charge a
> couple bucks access fee each time, but since you are getting a much better
> exchange rate you usually come out ahead. The trick is to withdraw in
> larger amounts so that you pay the fee less often.

I've gotten some of the best exchange rates at airport ATMs. I figured like
all the other stuff at airports, it would be the worst. My bank charges 1%
for exchange on purchases. I'll have to check my credit cards. One of
them charges 3%, not sure of the other.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 3/20/2011 6:17 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Apparently a lot of people enjoy paying that ATM fee so much, they go
>> every day or so and get $20.

> My oldest son does that. We were traveling out of the country and he
> only had $50 on him. He said he would just stop at ATM's like he does
> at home. Kids, I don't understand them.

I think I'm just allergic to bank fees. If I'm in a bind somewhere, okay,
I'll pay an ATM fee. Otherwise, forget it, and I just go to my bank
machine once in a while and get enough cash to last me a bit.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote

>> He may have got a better deal on exchange rates than you did. I have
>> travelled in the past with travellers cheques and paid premium exchange
>> rates, sometimes paid fees to cash them, had a lot of hassles cashing
>> them. Buying foreign currency through a bank or exchange kiosk usually
>> involves premium exchange rates. When you use an ATM you usually get a
>> much better exchange rate. When you use them at bank ATMS they charge a
>> couple bucks access fee each time, but since you are getting a much better
>> exchange rate you usually come out ahead. The trick is to withdraw in
>> larger amounts so that you pay the fee less often.

>I've gotten some of the best exchange rates at airport ATMs. I figured like
>all the other stuff at airports, it would be the worst. My bank charges 1%
>for exchange on purchases. I'll have to check my credit cards. One of
>them charges 3%, not sure of the other.

They vary between zero percent and three percent on top of the wholesale
exchange rate, so it's worth checking into it before traveling.

I've found that in the U.K., all ATM's at airports and train stations
charge no fees. In Italy, no ATM anywhere in the country charges
anybody a fee. Of course your North American bank may add its own fee,
but there are plenty around that do not, and some will refund remote ATM
fees. I have not noticed ATM's in either UK or Italy using exchange
rates significantly different than wholesale rates (e.g. the figures you
will see in the financial section of a newspaper).

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:15:16 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Ema Nymton wrote:
>> On 3/20/2011 6:17 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Apparently a lot of people enjoy paying that ATM fee so much, they go
>>> every day or so and get $20.

>> My oldest son does that. We were traveling out of the country and he
>> only had $50 on him. He said he would just stop at ATM's like he does
>> at home. Kids, I don't understand them.

>I think I'm just allergic to bank fees. If I'm in a bind somewhere, okay,
>I'll pay an ATM fee. Otherwise, forget it, and I just go to my bank
>machine once in a while and get enough cash to last me a bit.

If at your own bank why can't one simply go up to the teller and make
a withdrawel... I make a cash withdrawel once a month... I have an ATM
card but have never used it, I don't even know if it works, nor do I
know the PIN. I honestly don't see the point to ATMs, don't
responsible adults know enough to leave home with cash enough and
extra... I hate being out with people who always make a big todo about
needing to find an ATM like they're into high finance and then they
withdraw a lousy twenty.... I laugh my ass off when the machine
refuses because the idiots have no more money. Yoose don't want to be
in front of me at the check out when your debit card goes into the
red. Ahahahahahaha. . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 22, 7:53*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:15:16 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>

> >I think I'm just allergic to bank fees. *If I'm in a bind somewhere, okay,
> >I'll pay an ATM fee. *Otherwise, forget it, and I just go to my bank
> >machine once in a while and get enough cash to last me a bit.

> If at your own bank why can't one simply go up to the teller and make
> a withdrawel... I make a cash withdrawel once a month... I have an ATM
> card but have never used it, I don't even know if it works, nor do I
> know the PIN. *

I rarely, rarely go to my bank. If I need cash I just get cash back
at a store I'm shopping at. The Visa/Mastercard check cards are good
all over the USA, better in fact than trying to cash an out of town
check.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:15:16 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>> I think I'm just allergic to bank fees. If I'm in a bind somewhere,
>> okay, I'll pay an ATM fee. Otherwise, forget it, and I just go to
>> my bank machine once in a while and get enough cash to last me a bit.

> If at your own bank why can't one simply go up to the teller and make
> a withdrawel...

I use a teller to make deposits or other transactions that are easier
handled in person. To get cash? The machine takes care of that just
fine.

> I make a cash withdrawel once a month... I have an ATM
> card but have never used it, I don't even know if it works, nor do I
> know the PIN. I honestly don't see the point to ATMs, don't
> responsible adults know enough to leave home with cash enough and
> extra... I hate being out with people who always make a big todo about
> needing to find an ATM like they're into high finance and then they
> withdraw a lousy twenty.... I laugh my ass off when the machine
> refuses because the idiots have no more money. Yoose don't want to be
> in front of me at the check out when your debit card goes into the
> red. Ahahahahahaha. . . .

Well, I've never had that pleasure. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2011 9:06 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
> I rarely, rarely go to my bank. If I need cash I just get cash back
> at a store I'm shopping at. The Visa/Mastercard check cards are good
> all over the USA, better in fact than trying to cash an out of town
> check.

Same here, I get cash back at the checkout. I use ATM's outside of the
country, but only once here at home.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jmcquown > wrote:
>Along the lines of the "calamities" thread... many years ago I promised I'd
>mention Food Banks here on a quarterly basis. I fell by the wayside, sorry!
>Easter is approaching and this is the still the first quarter of the year,
>so here's my first quarter reminder It only costs a few cents on the
>dollar to add a couple of extra cans of veggies, a bag of rice or dried
>beans to your shopping cart. Toilet paper, etc. People make fun of a
>particular person here for eating Spam but I've got news for you, it
>actually tastes good. Some food banks have the facilities to store frozen
>goods but not all of them do, so check first. Please support your local
>food bank!

Except for "BOGO" type things (no extra money on my part), I've switched
to cash. My own FB can buy staples at far below retail, so my $10 cash
donation buys equivalent to $50-$70.

Check in with them - and find a way to support your local food bank. Mine
is hurting bad due to the bad agricultural weather!

Charlotte