Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chateaubriand ideas

I have 2, 2 pound Kansas City Steakhouse Chateuabriand cuts from Costco.
Really fine looking cuts of meat I must admit. How would you cook them? I
am thinking a nice sauce of some kind, perhaps brandy, cream and peppercorn.
Not quite sure. Do I cut these into medallions or do I cook them whole?
How would hey work as the base for steak au poivre?

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>I have 2, 2 pound Kansas City Steakhouse Chateuabriand cuts from Costco.
>Really fine looking cuts of meat I must admit. How would you cook them? I
>am thinking a nice sauce of some kind, perhaps brandy, cream and
>peppercorn. Not quite sure. Do I cut these into medallions or do I cook
>them whole? How would hey work as the base for steak au poivre?
>
> Paul

We have this cut of beef fairly often. I cook it somewhat like I cook
standing rib roast. I sear it and then finish at a low temp. to get rare or
medium rare from edge to edge. Do all of this in one piece. Then carve and
slice at the table. The juices from a good rare chateaubriand are all the
sauce you need. This, http://www.mortons.com/menu/dinner/ is what I try to
achieve, even though this example is filet. You could sauce the steak if
you wanted. to. This is a very favorite cut of beef with us.

Cheers,

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 02:39:12 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>>I have 2, 2 pound Kansas City Steakhouse Chateuabriand cuts from Costco.
>>>Really fine looking cuts of meat I must admit. How would you cook them?
>>>am thinking a nice sauce of some kind, perhaps brandy, cream and
>>>peppercorn. Not quite sure. Do I cut these into medallions or do I cook
>>>them whole? How would hey work as the base for steak au poivre?
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> We have this cut of beef fairly often. I cook it somewhat like I cook
>> standing rib roast. I sear it and then finish at a low temp. to get rare
>> or
>> medium rare from edge to edge. Do all of this in one piece. Then carve
>> and
>> slice at the table. The juices from a good rare chateaubriand are all the
>> sauce you need. This, http://www.mortons.com/menu/dinner/ is what I try
>> achieve, even though this example is filet. You could sauce the steak if
>> you wanted. to. This is a very favorite cut of beef with us.

> Chateaubriand is *always* a cut of beef tenderloin. Kent has stated
> numerous times that his is sirloin. So take is advice with a grain of
> salt. Not just on this issue.
>
> -sw

Chateaubriand in California means top sirloin.
This, from: http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefLoin.html "American butchers
call a thick top sirloin steak a chateaubriand, although the French reserve
that term for a much better cut from the tenderloin".

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>I have 2, 2 pound Kansas City Steakhouse Chateuabriand cuts from Costco.
>Really fine looking cuts of meat I must admit. How would you cook them? I
>am thinking a nice sauce of some kind, perhaps brandy, cream and
>peppercorn. Not quite sure. Do I cut these into medallions or do I cook
>them whole? How would hey work as the base for steak au poivre?
>
> Paul

What cut of beef are you referring to? In Cal. the Chateaubriand is top
sirloin.
http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefLoin.html Elsewhere it is filet mignon.
Costco's mail order chateaubriand is filet mignon. I don't think I've seen
that term used at our local costco.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>I have 2, 2 pound Kansas City Steakhouse Chateuabriand cuts from Costco.
>>Really fine looking cuts of meat I must admit. How would you cook them?
>>I am thinking a nice sauce of some kind, perhaps brandy, cream and
>>peppercorn. Not quite sure. Do I cut these into medallions or do I cook
>>them whole? How would hey work as the base for steak au poivre?
>>
>> Paul
>>

> What cut of beef are you referring to? In Cal. the Chateaubriand is top
> sirloin.
> http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefLoin.html Elsewhere it is filet mignon.
> Costco's mail order chateaubriand is filet mignon. I don't think I've seen
> that term used at our local costco.

My mother sent it to me for my b-day. It was ordered online. Kansas City
Steakhouse is the brand.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11327407

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:26:54 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:

>>My mother sent it to me for my b-day. It was ordered online. Kansas City
>>Steakhouse is the brand.
>>
>>http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11327407
>>
>>Paul
>>

> I don't know if you can adapt this to your needs, but this looks
> really good to me. I have had this on my list to make someday..
> This is from Eric Ripert, from his book Avec Eric.
>
> http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/44458

Looks fabbo. I'll definetly make one of the roasts using this recipe.
Looks pretty easy. I'm going to do Alton Brown's steak au poivre with the
other one. Asparagus and creamed garlic cauliflower for the vegies.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 11:23*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 02:39:12 -0700, Kent wrote:
> > "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> >>I have 2, 2 pound Kansas City Steakhouse Chateuabriand cuts from Costco..
> >>Really fine looking cuts of meat I must admit. *How would you cook them? *I
> >>am thinking a nice sauce of some kind, perhaps brandy, cream and
> >>peppercorn. Not quite sure. *Do I cut these into medallions or do I cook
> >>them whole? How would hey work as the base for steak au poivre?

> >> Paul

> > We have this cut of beef fairly often. I cook it somewhat like I cook
> > standing rib roast. I sear it and then finish at a low temp. to get rare or
> > medium rare from edge to edge. Do all of this in one piece. Then carve and
> > slice at the table. The juices from a good rare chateaubriand are all the
> > sauce you need. This,http://www.mortons.com/menu/dinner/is what I try to
> > achieve, even though this example is filet. *You could sauce the steak if
> > you wanted. to. This is a very favorite cut of beef with us.

> Chateaubriand is *always* a cut of beef tenderloin. *Kent has stated
> numerous times that his is sirloin. *So take is advice with a grain of
> salt. *Not just on this issue.
>
> -sw

==
You're right for once.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:47:22 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

> Chateaubriand in California means top sirloin.
> This, from: http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefLoin.html "American butchers
> call a thick top sirloin steak a chateaubriand, although the French reserve
> that term for a much better cut from the tenderloin".

Isn't chateaubriand a method of cooking meat? I thought it was
supposed to mean the method of cooking an expensive cut, like
tenderloin, between two pieces of less expensive meat. I would not
buy something labeled "chateaubriand" because there's no such thing on
any meat chart I've seen... so I have no way of knowing what I'm
buying.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:50:03 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> >I have 2, 2 pound Kansas City Steakhouse Chateuabriand cuts from Costco.
> >Really fine looking cuts of meat I must admit. How would you cook them? I
> >am thinking a nice sauce of some kind, perhaps brandy, cream and
> >peppercorn. Not quite sure. Do I cut these into medallions or do I cook
> >them whole? How would hey work as the base for steak au poivre?
> >
> > Paul
> >

> What cut of beef are you referring to? In Cal. the Chateaubriand is top
> sirloin.
> http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefLoin.html Elsewhere it is filet mignon.
> Costco's mail order chateaubriand is filet mignon. I don't think I've seen
> that term used at our local costco.

I haven't noticed chateaubriand at the Costco's I've shopped in - I've
only seen primal cuts in the refrigerated section.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 00:52:51 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> I have 2, 2 pound Kansas City Steakhouse Chateuabriand cuts from Costco.
> Really fine looking cuts of meat I must admit. How would you cook them? I
> am thinking a nice sauce of some kind, perhaps brandy, cream and peppercorn.
> Not quite sure. Do I cut these into medallions or do I cook them whole?
> How would hey work as the base for steak au poivre?

I think if you cut them into thick steaks (I would), your pepper cream
sauce would be fine, but I'd want to make bernaise
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:47:22 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
> > Chateaubriand in California means top sirloin.
> > This, from: http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefLoin.html "American butchers
> > call a thick top sirloin steak a chateaubriand, although the French reserve
> > that term for a much better cut from the tenderloin".

> Isn't chateaubriand a method of cooking meat? I thought it was
> supposed to mean the method of cooking an expensive cut, like
> tenderloin, between two pieces of less expensive meat. I would not
> buy something labeled "chateaubriand" because there's no such thing on
> any meat chart I've seen... so I have no way of knowing what I'm
> buying.

From looking around a little bit, it appears that:

1. In a fine restaurant, chateaubriand is a big chunk of tenderloin
suitable for two people.

2. In a good restaurant, chateaubriand is a big chunk of sirloin
suitable for two people.

3. In "any" supermarket, chateaubriand is a good looking beefsteak of
whatever they happen to be overstocked with.

So, if you are looking for something in particular, see if they give
details about the cut. Otherwise, it might be anything.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 4:06*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:47:22 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
> > Chateaubriand in California means top sirloin.
> > This, from:http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefLoin.html"American butchers
> > call a thick top sirloin steak a chateaubriand, although the French reserve
> > that term for a much better cut from the tenderloin".

> Isn't chateaubriand a method of cooking meat? *I thought it was
> supposed to mean the method of cooking an expensive cut, like
> tenderloin, between two pieces of less expensive meat. *I would not
> buy something labeled "chateaubriand" because there's no such thing on
> any meat chart I've seen... so I have no way of knowing what I'm
> buying.

From what I have learned, chateaubriand is centre cut beef
tenderloin. Perhaps it also refers to the method of cooking/serving.
Served whole, and sliced at the table?

> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/03/2011 5:58 PM, Portland wrote:
> On Mar 20, 4:06 pm, > wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:47:22 -0700, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Chateaubriand in California means top sirloin.
>>> This, from:http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefLoin.html"American butchers
>>> call a thick top sirloin steak a chateaubriand, although the French reserve
>>> that term for a much better cut from the tenderloin".

>> Isn't chateaubriand a method of cooking meat? I thought it was
>> supposed to mean the method of cooking an expensive cut, like
>> tenderloin, between two pieces of less expensive meat. I would not
>> buy something labeled "chateaubriand" because there's no such thing on
>> any meat chart I've seen... so I have no way of knowing what I'm
>> buying.
>>

> From what I have learned, chateaubriand is centre cut beef
> tenderloin. Perhaps it also refers to the method of cooking/serving.
> Served whole, and sliced at the table?

It is basically a small roast, big enough for 2-3 people, and served
with a sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook > wrote:

> I have 2, 2 pound Kansas City Steakhouse Chateuabriand cuts from Costco.
> Really fine looking cuts of meat I must admit. How would you cook them? I
> am thinking a nice sauce of some kind, perhaps brandy, cream and peppercorn.
> Not quite sure. Do I cut these into medallions or do I cook them whole?
> How would hey work as the base for steak au poivre?

Chteaubriand is most often simply grilled/broiled or pan-fried/sautéed,
whther whole or cut into smaller steaks. Whether you serve it with a
sauce or not is up to you. As far as I am concerned, any sauce served
with a fillet steak should not be too assertive, or it will overwhelm
the steak. Perhaps a simple marchand-de-vin sauce - or even sauce
Chteaubriand, as per Escoffier, would work well, or maybe something
like madeira and truffles sauce à la Jacques Pépin. I do not think
steak au poivre is a good idea for this cut, as it is just too assertive
a preparation.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>>I have 2, 2 pound Kansas City Steakhouse Chateuabriand cuts from Costco.
>>>Really fine looking cuts of meat I must admit. How would you cook them?
>>>I am thinking a nice sauce of some kind, perhaps brandy, cream and
>>>peppercorn. Not quite sure. Do I cut these into medallions or do I cook
>>>them whole? How would hey work as the base for steak au poivre?
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> What cut of beef are you referring to? In Cal. the Chateaubriand is top
>> sirloin.
>> http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefLoin.html Elsewhere it is filet mignon.
>> Costco's mail order chateaubriand is filet mignon. I don't think I've
>> seen that term used at our local costco.
>>

> My mother sent it to me for my b-day. It was ordered online. Kansas City
> Steakhouse is the brand.
>
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11327407
>
> Paul

The above Costco product is the chateaubriand as defined almost everywhere
except California. Of interest, it is that it consists of two muscles. The
larger on the costco site above is the psoas major, and the smaller is the
psoas minor. The whole tenderloin, includes the center part known as the
chateaubriand.

If I had one of these I'd make a Boeuf Wellington with one, and Tornadoes
Rossini with the other. Filet as we know is wonderfully tender, but somewhat
less tasty than it looks. It needs something to accentuate it, like a good
brown sauce, with truffles, although Morel mushrooms are OK.

It looks like beautiful meat. I'm envious. I thought $100 my gawd and then
realized filet is over $30/lb in the high brow markets around here.

to your appetite,

Kent,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:26:54 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:

>>My mother sent it to me for my b-day. It was ordered online. Kansas City
>>Steakhouse is the brand.
>>
>>http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11327407
>>
>>Paul
>>

> I don't know if you can adapt this to your needs, but this looks
> really good to me. I have had this on my list to make someday..
> This is from Eric Ripert, from his book Avec Eric.
>
> http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/44458
>
> Christine
> --

Christine, the recipe above for the sauce is a horrible recipe. Horrible is
an understatement.
.. 1 cup dry red wine
.. 1 cup red wine vinegar
.. 1 shallot, thinly sliced
.. 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
.. 12 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
One cup of red wine vinegar for two cups of sauce?? The only other liquid
ingredient is a cup of red wine? Sliced shallots???? 2 tablespoons of
peppercorns?? 12oz of butter??? Cold Butter?? Horrible is an understatement.

For filet mignon you need to have a nice brown sauce. First you make the
liquid portion with beef stock some wine like madeira , and seasonings. To
that you can add finely minced sauteed shallots. Then you make and thicken
it with brown roux. http://allrecipes.com//HowTo/making-roux/Detail.aspx . I
wouldn't use cornstarch, or a beurre manie
http://www.food.com/recipe/beurre-ma...ickener-117333 for a
dish this fancy. A strong no on plain butter as a thickener, even in small
amounts.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:50:03 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> >I have 2, 2 pound Kansas City Steakhouse Chateuabriand cuts from Costco.
>> >Really fine looking cuts of meat I must admit. How would you cook them?
>> >am thinking a nice sauce of some kind, perhaps brandy, cream and
>> >peppercorn. Not quite sure. Do I cut these into medallions or do I cook
>> >them whole? How would hey work as the base for steak au poivre?
>> >
>> > Paul
>> >

>> What cut of beef are you referring to? In Cal. the Chateaubriand is top
>> sirloin.
>> http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefLoin.html Elsewhere it is filet mignon.
>> Costco's mail order chateaubriand is filet mignon. I don't think I've
>> seen
>> that term used at our local costco.
>>

> I haven't noticed chateaubriand at the Costco's I've shopped in - I've
> only seen primal cuts in the refrigerated section.

The product he's referring to is the Costco mailorder chateaubriand product.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 00:52:51 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>> I have 2, 2 pound Kansas City Steakhouse Chateuabriand cuts from Costco.
>> Really fine looking cuts of meat I must admit. How would you cook them?
>> am thinking a nice sauce of some kind, perhaps brandy, cream and
>> peppercorn.
>> Not quite sure. Do I cut these into medallions or do I cook them whole?
>> How would hey work as the base for steak au poivre?
>>

> I think if you cut them into thick steaks (I would), your pepper cream
> sauce would be fine, but I'd want to make bernaise
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html!
>
> --

Sauce Béarnaise goes very well with filet. It's very, very rich. You just
need a small amount. We used to make it frequently when cholesterol wasn't
an issue.
In this recipe, however, she says "1/4 cup champagne or 1/4 cup vinegar"??
I'd search out a better recipe. There are lots.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
.. .
> Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>
>> I have 2, 2 pound Kansas City Steakhouse Chateuabriand cuts from Costco.
>> Really fine looking cuts of meat I must admit. How would you cook them?
>> am thinking a nice sauce of some kind, perhaps brandy, cream and
>> peppercorn.
>> Not quite sure. Do I cut these into medallions or do I cook them whole?
>> How would hey work as the base for steak au poivre?

> Chteaubriand is most often simply grilled/broiled or pan-fried/sautéed,
> whther whole or cut into smaller steaks. Whether you serve it with a
> sauce or not is up to you. As far as I am concerned, any sauce served
> with a fillet steak should not be too assertive, or it will overwhelm
> the steak. Perhaps a simple marchand-de-vin sauce - or even sauce
> Chteaubriand, as per Escoffier, would work well, or maybe something
> like madeira and truffles sauce à la Jacques Pépin. I do not think
> steak au poivre is a good idea for this cut, as it is just too assertive
> a preparation.
>
> Victor

I agree. I should mildly enhance the meat, not overwhelm it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message

>>>My mother sent it to me for my b-day. It was ordered online. Kansas
>>>City
>>>Steakhouse is the brand.
>>>
>>>http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11327407
>>>
>>>Paul
>>>

>> I don't know if you can adapt this to your needs, but this looks
>> really good to me. I have had this on my list to make someday..
>> This is from Eric Ripert, from his book Avec Eric.
>>
>> http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/44458
>>
>> Christine
>> --
>>

> Christine, the recipe above for the sauce is a horrible recipe. Horrible
> is an understatement.
> . 1 cup dry red wine
> . 1 cup red wine vinegar
> . 1 shallot, thinly sliced
> . 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
> . 12 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
> One cup of red wine vinegar for two cups of sauce?? The only other liquid
> ingredient is a cup of red wine? Sliced shallots???? 2 tablespoons of
> peppercorns?? 12oz of butter??? Cold Butter?? Horrible is an
> understatement.

I disagree. It looks just fine to me. It reminds me of sauces I've had in
restaurants. You cook the sauce down and then strain it and begin mounting
the butter. It's a classic sauce style. The vinegar "bite" would be
greatly subdued after being cooked. And it is not like you smother the
steak with the sauce. A little goes a long way. I'd probably make it in a
half-batch.

> For filet mignon you need to have a nice brown sauce. First you make the
> liquid portion with beef stock some wine like madeira , and seasonings. To
> that you can add finely minced sauteed shallots. Then you make and thicken
> it with brown roux. http://allrecipes.com//HowTo/making-roux/Detail.aspx .
> I wouldn't use cornstarch, or a beurre manie
> http://www.food.com/recipe/beurre-ma...ickener-117333 for a
> dish this fancy. A strong no on plain butter as a thickener, even in small
> amounts.

I don't like roux based sauces. I much prefer pan style sauces that are
thickened by coking down and butter and/or demi glace.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 18:45:01 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>>I disagree. It looks just fine to me. It reminds me of sauces I've had
>>in
>>restaurants. You cook the sauce down and then strain it and begin
>>mounting
>>the butter. It's a classic sauce style. The vinegar "bite" would be
>>greatly subdued after being cooked. And it is not like you smother the
>>steak with the sauce. A little goes a long way. I'd probably make it in
>>half-batch.

> Yes, and if you know anything about beurre blanc, this sauce is the
> red wine eqivalent. About the only difference from this and regular
> beurre blance is the use of red wine and red wine vinegar.

The acid and the butter would make an emulsion that is very silky. Kent is
thinking of an espagnole sauce which is one of the 5 mother sauces. When I
was experimenting with French cooking I used that sauce as a base for roast
beef dishes. It's what Julia did, too.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:53:33 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:49:51 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Exactly. Did you notice how he tried to embellish his false
>>>interpretation of the recipe? The vinegar is boiled off, and the
>>>butter is not "Cold".

>> Actually, the butter is cold when it is added..but rapidly is
>> emulsified into the sauce. From what I have read, it needs to be cold
>> to keep the sauce from breaking.

> Yes, but he says it like this is a bad thing. As if the butter stays
> cold and lumpy.
>
> He didn't read the recipe before he started criticizing it.

Well call 911 and report him - he's clearly a threat to himself and society.

Paul

Member

The juices from a good rare chateaubriand are all the
sauce you need. This, Morton's The Steakhouse - Dinner Menu is what I try to
achieve, even though this example is filet. You could sauce the steak if
you wanted. Omaha Steaks and their small jar of spice seasoning.
I cook it somewhat like I cook
standing rib roast. I sear it and then finish at a low temp. to get rare
or
medium rare from edge to edge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:53:33 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> Actually, the butter is cold when it is added..but rapidly is
>>> emulsified into the sauce. From what I have read, it needs to be cold
>>> to keep the sauce from breaking.

>> Yes, but he says it like this is a bad thing. As if the butter stays
>> cold and lumpy.
>>
>> He didn't read the recipe before he started criticizing it.

> Well call 911 and report him - he's clearly a threat to himself and
> society.

Heh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 18:06:54 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
>>One cup of red wine vinegar for two cups of sauce??

> Did you read the instructions? It is all reduced down to 1/2 cup..and
> then the substantial amount of butter is blended in.... I think it
> would be quite good.
>
> Christine
> --

In Eric Ripert's recipe I was turned off by the ratio of vinegar to wine. I
did not know until 3:00 A.M. today that vinegar, or acetic acid, evaporates
at 118C. Most, if not all, of the acetic acid would evaporate when you
reduced from 2 cups to ½ cup. The question, of course, is how much vinegar
would evaporate..
We used to make Sauce Bercy and Sauce Marchand de Vin quite a lot in the old
days, always by deglazing the saute pan with wine and whisking in the
butter.

By simply pouring off pan drippings you are pouring the browning fat, which
you don't want, into your sauce and you're not taking advantage of the brown
bits on the bottom of the pan. While the roast is resting in a warm oven,
which it needs, I would pour the reduced, shallot and peppercorn seasoned
wine/vinegar into the roasting pan and then after a brief deglazing it can
be strained. I'd add this and strain the reduced liquid before adding any
soft butter. Following that I'd whisk in the soft butter.

Straining a butter emulsified sauce, as in his recipe, is no bargain and
quite wasteful . You lose a lot. One might say straining the sauce with the
butter added removes its water, or aqueous component, which clouds
everything up a bit. I've tried making the recipe with clarified butter for
that reason.

Finally, roasting, in a 400F oven to 120F will create a brown ring between
the char and the center of the meat. I would roast to 115F at most, and rest
following while you are making the sauce.

Having said all of that, the Marchand de Vin sauce, which this is, is just
too buttery. It overwhelms. It won't have enough beef flavor. How are you
going to pick a suitably tasty vinegar? The sauce falls apart the next day
when you eat your leftovers. It's best made if you are less than 45 years of
age.

I'm learning slowly. I just realized I made this first before the author was
born. We could all have a vinegar tasting, which people do, in the Bay Area.

Cheers,

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 18:06:54 -0700, "Kent" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>One cup of red wine vinegar for two cups of sauce??

>> Did you read the instructions? It is all reduced down to 1/2 cup..and
>> then the substantial amount of butter is blended in.... I think it
>> would be quite good.
>>
>> Christine
>> --
>>

> In Eric Ripert's recipe I was turned off by the ratio of vinegar to wine.
> I did not know until 3:00 A.M. today that vinegar, or acetic acid,
> evaporates at 118C. Most, if not all, of the acetic acid would evaporate
> when you reduced from 2 cups to ½ cup. The question, of course, is how
> much vinegar would evaporate..
> We used to make Sauce Bercy and Sauce Marchand de Vin quite a lot in the
> old days, always by deglazing the saute pan with wine and whisking in the
> butter.
>
> By simply pouring off pan drippings you are pouring the browning fat,
> which you don't want, into your sauce and you're not taking advantage of
> the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. While the roast is resting in a
> warm oven, which it needs, I would pour the reduced, shallot and
> peppercorn seasoned wine/vinegar into the roasting pan and then after a
> brief deglazing it can be strained. I'd add this and strain the reduced
> liquid before adding any soft butter. Following that I'd whisk in the soft
> butter.
>
> Straining a butter emulsified sauce, as in his recipe, is no bargain and
> quite wasteful . You lose a lot. One might say straining the sauce with
> the butter added removes its water, or aqueous component, which clouds
> everything up a bit. I've tried making the recipe with clarified butter
> for that reason.
>
> Finally, roasting, in a 400F oven to 120F will create a brown ring between
> the char and the center of the meat. I would roast to 115F at most, and
> rest following while you are making the sauce.
>
> Having said all of that, the Marchand de Vin sauce, which this is, is just
> too buttery. It overwhelms. It won't have enough beef flavor. How are you
> going to pick a suitably tasty vinegar? The sauce falls apart the next day
> when you eat your leftovers. It's best made if you are less than 45 years
> of age.
>
> I'm learning slowly. I just realized I made this first before the author
> was born. We could all have a vinegar tasting, which people do, in the Bay
> Area.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kent

Eric was born in 1965, well before I was doing this. Sorry for the
confusion, though it's not very confusing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 18:09:19 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

> The product he's referring to is the Costco mailorder chateaubriand product.

Okay, well I don't do mail order - so there ya go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 18:18:25 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 00:52:51 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I have 2, 2 pound Kansas City Steakhouse Chateuabriand cuts from Costco.
> >> Really fine looking cuts of meat I must admit. How would you cook them?
> >> am thinking a nice sauce of some kind, perhaps brandy, cream and
> >> peppercorn.
> >> Not quite sure. Do I cut these into medallions or do I cook them whole?
> >> How would hey work as the base for steak au poivre?
> >>

> > I think if you cut them into thick steaks (I would), your pepper cream
> > sauce would be fine, but I'd want to make bernaise
> > http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html!
> >
> > --

> Sauce Béarnaise goes very well with filet. It's very, very rich. You just
> need a small amount. We used to make it frequently when cholesterol wasn't
> an issue.
> In this recipe, however, she says "1/4 cup champagne or 1/4 cup vinegar"??
> I'd search out a better recipe. There are lots.

The recipe tells you to choose between champagne vinegar or white wine
vinegar. I have champagne vinegar on hand, so I'd use that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:46:56 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Yes, but he says it like this is a bad thing. As if the butter stays
>>> cold and lumpy.
>>>
>>> He didn't read the recipe before he started criticizing it.

>> Well call 911 and report him - he's clearly a threat to himself and
>> society.

> When you do it CONSTANTATLY, it gets kinda irritating. He did it to
> Serene yesterday about her fish and beef stock. It gets kinda old,
> like you.

Yeah well you can't stay young forever. You on the other hand have proven
that childhoods sometimes never end.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:46:56 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Yes, but he says it like this is a bad thing. As if the butter stays
>>> cold and lumpy.
>>>
>>> He didn't read the recipe before he started criticizing it.

>> Well call 911 and report him - he's clearly a threat to himself and
>> society.

> When you do it CONSTANTATLY, it gets kinda irritating. He did it to
> Serene yesterday about her fish and beef stock. It gets kinda old,
> like you.

You know you could spell check your posts. Occassionallalaly would be nice.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 03:45:53 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
>>Having said all of that, the Marchand de Vin sauce, which this is, is just
>>too buttery. It overwhelms. It won't have enough beef flavor.

> No, this is not Marchand de Vins sauce. It is a mounted butter sauce,
> and butter is an important component. It is a Beurre Rouge, based on
> Beurre Blanc.
>
> It does have beef flavor. Did you read the instructions? It says to
> add the beef juice to it. And mounted butter sauces are NOT built on
> meat drippings...they are butter sauces.
>
> I suggest that you read more about sauces such as beurre blanc and
> Beurre rouge. It seems they are not within your knowledge that much,
> although they were within the knowledge of Julia Child and she adored
> them.
>
> Christine
> --

Beurre rouge, in the 1961 edition of the Larousse Gastronomique is "lobster
butter and butter mixed with other shellfish". That's verbatim. The
definition of beurre rouge in my later edition is very similar, referring to
shellfish.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 03:45:53 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
>>Having said all of that, the Marchand de Vin sauce, which this is, is just
>>too buttery. It overwhelms. It won't have enough beef flavor.

> No, this is not Marchand de Vins sauce. It is a mounted butter sauce,
> and butter is an important component. It is a Beurre Rouge, based on
> Beurre Blanc.
>
> It does have beef flavor. Did you read the instructions? It says to
> add the beef juice to it. And mounted butter sauces are NOT built on
> meat drippings...they are butter sauces.
>
> I suggest that you read more about sauces such as beurre blanc and
> Beurre rouge. It seems they are not within your knowledge that much,
> although they were within the knowledge of Julia Child and she adored
> them.
>
> Christine
> --

I think when you add anything beef to a beurre blanc it becomes a Marchind
de vin sauce, even though the author, somewhat inappropriately, added the
beef drippings after emulsifying the reduced wine/shallot mixture with
butter.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:47:43 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> Yeah well you can't stay young forever. You on the other hand have
>> proven
>> that childhoods sometimes never end.

> <yawn> Time for my nap, Paulie.

Only one glass of juice first. You don't want to go wee wee in your bed.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:10:34 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> When you do it CONSTANTATLY, it gets kinda irritating. He did it to
>>> Serene yesterday about her fish and beef stock. It gets kinda old,
>>> like you.

>> You know you could spell check your posts. Occassionallalaly would be
>> nice.

> Hey, don't forget to post a THIRD followup to my same post, Paul!
>
> I love it when people come back to tell me off again and again.
> Especially for a spellnig flame. That really puts the cherry on top.

Well if you love it so much you sure have a weird way of showing it.

> Stop beating yourself over the head, Paul.

I was just suggesticulating that possibilically you'd considicererr spell
czeccking your posts.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 03:45:53 -0700, "Kent" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Having said all of that, the Marchand de Vin sauce, which this is, is
>>>just
>>>too buttery. It overwhelms. It won't have enough beef flavor.

>> No, this is not Marchand de Vins sauce. It is a mounted butter sauce,
>> and butter is an important component. It is a Beurre Rouge, based on
>> Beurre Blanc.
>>
>> It does have beef flavor. Did you read the instructions? It says to
>> add the beef juice to it. And mounted butter sauces are NOT built on
>> meat drippings...they are butter sauces.
>>
>> I suggest that you read more about sauces such as beurre blanc and
>> Beurre rouge. It seems they are not within your knowledge that much,
>> although they were within the knowledge of Julia Child and she adored
>> them.
>>
>> Christine
>> --
>>

> Beurre rouge, in the 1961 edition of the Larousse Gastronomique is
> "lobster butter and butter mixed with other shellfish". That's verbatim.
> The definition of beurre rouge in my later edition is very similar,
> referring to shellfish.

A quick Google shows a buerre rouge to be a red wine butter sauce suitable
for pretty much anything including seafood. By common definieiton it is the
same as a buerre blanc made only made with red wine and red wine vinegar.
Like this one from Epicurious:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...e-Rouge-102839

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 19:25:20 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
>>Beurre rouge, in the 1961 edition of the Larousse Gastronomique is
>>"lobster
>>butter and butter mixed with other shellfish". That's verbatim. The
>>definition of beurre rouge in my later edition is very similar, referring
>>shellfish.
>>
>>Kent

> Sigh....
>
> Beurre Rouge, is the same as Beurre Blanc, except made with red wine
> and red wine vinegar. Look at other sources as well. Richard
> Olney even talks about Beurre Blanc in his Simple French Food... He
> talks about it made with red wine as well. One only has to look at a
> recipe for Beurre Blanc to realize that made with red wine, it becomes
> beurre rouge.
>
> http://rogueestate.com/tag/beurre-rouge/
>
> Christine
> --

I believe that's incorrect. The "blanc" refers to white butter, as opposed
to "noir" which refers to black butter. Beurre blanc is any aqueous
component emulsified with white butter, red wine, or white wine or ???

I've seen the URL above. I don't think it's correct.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

> "Christine > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 19:25:20 -0700, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Beurre rouge, in the 1961 edition of the Larousse Gastronomique is
>>> "lobster
>>> butter and butter mixed with other shellfish". That's verbatim. The
>>> definition of beurre rouge in my later edition is very similar, referring
>>> shellfish.
>>>
>>> Kent

>> Sigh....
>>
>> Beurre Rouge, is the same as Beurre Blanc, except made with red wine
>> and red wine vinegar. Look at other sources as well. Richard
>> Olney even talks about Beurre Blanc in his Simple French Food... He
>> talks about it made with red wine as well. One only has to look at a
>> recipe for Beurre Blanc to realize that made with red wine, it becomes
>> beurre rouge.
>>
>> http://rogueestate.com/tag/beurre-rouge/
>>

> I believe that's incorrect. The "blanc" refers to white butter, as opposed
> to "noir" which refers to black butter. Beurre blanc is any aqueous
> component emulsified with white butter, red wine, or white wine or ???
>
> I've seen the URL above. I don't think it's correct.

It's definitely correct.

See:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...e-Blanc-233266
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...e-Rouge-102839

--
Mort
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mort" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>
>> "Christine > wrote in message

>>> Sigh....
>>>
>>> Beurre Rouge, is the same as Beurre Blanc, except made with red wine
>>> and red wine vinegar. Look at other sources as well. Richard
>>> Olney even talks about Beurre Blanc in his Simple French Food... He
>>> talks about it made with red wine as well. One only has to look at a
>>> recipe for Beurre Blanc to realize that made with red wine, it becomes
>>> beurre rouge.
>>>
>>> http://rogueestate.com/tag/beurre-rouge/
>>>

>> I believe that's incorrect. The "blanc" refers to white butter, as
>> opposed
>> to "noir" which refers to black butter. Beurre blanc is any aqueous
>> component emulsified with white butter, red wine, or white wine or ???
>>
>> I've seen the URL above. I don't think it's correct.

> It's definitely correct.
>
> See:
>
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...e-Blanc-233266
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...e-Rouge-102839
>
> --
> Mort

I saw both of those and don't agree with either. You have to find a valid
source from France that substantiates what Christine is saying. I can't.
I've looked at Raymond Oliver, Henri-Paul Pelliprat, Elizabeth David, two
editions of the Larrouse, and I haven't found anything that ties "rouge" to
red wine. I'm holding Escoffier in my hand as I write this.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> See:
>>
>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...e-Blanc-233266
>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...e-Rouge-102839
>>

> I saw both of those and don't agree with either. You have to find a valid
> source from France that substantiates what Christine is saying. I can't.
> I've looked at Raymond Oliver, Henri-Paul Pelliprat, Elizabeth David, two
> editions of the Larrouse, and I haven't found anything that ties "rouge" to
> red wine. I'm holding Escoffier in my hand as I write this.

Pretty funny. You've undoubtedly searched this yourself
and found nothing but pages and pages of identical recipes
confirming what you've been told. And yet you persist.

--
Mort
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mort" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>> See:
>>>
>>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...e-Blanc-233266
>>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...e-Rouge-102839
>>>

>> I saw both of those and don't agree with either. You have to find a valid
>> source from France that substantiates what Christine is saying. I can't.
>> I've looked at Raymond Oliver, Henri-Paul Pelliprat, Elizabeth David, two
>> editions of the Larrouse, and I haven't found anything that ties "rouge"
>> red wine. I'm holding Escoffier in my hand as I write this.

> Pretty funny. You've undoubtedly searched this yourself
> and found nothing but pages and pages of identical recipes
> confirming what you've been told. And yet you persist.
>
> --
> Mort

I've made beurre blanc many times in the past, with white wine, red wine,
beef deglazing, etc. Beurre blanc means taking a concentrated small volume
of liquid and beating small cubes of cold butter into it at a temp. of
110-120F. The blanc means white butter. Beurre Rouges would mean red butter.
There is no such thing.

Kent