Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you consider the best recipe software for Windows?

Landon wrote:

>> Have at it
>>
>> http://www.madsrecipes.com/

> Thanks Mort. Janet Wilder said she had some cookbooks of recipes she's
> personally tried. I prefer that to the massive collections that are
> available.
>
> That's a cool site. I've book marked it.

There a whole section of Mario Batali. Guaranteed good

Some other reliable authors also.

--
Mort
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:27:31 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

> Me too Janet. I'm still using MC 7, for which I paid the grand sum of
> $7.00 on Amazon some time ago. I grab recipes via copy and paste, paste
> them into MC with great success, including recipes from this group.
> Works for me.

That's good to hear. Copy/paste is what I want. Anything more than
that is too much work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:35:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> Would it help people if those of us using recipes formatted by special
> software cleaned up the formats when pasting to Usenet for posting? I'd
> be happy to do that.

It certainly would help!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 2:36*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Roy > wrote:

> MC

> >> Janet,

> >> That makes no sense to me. The frequency of badly stamped CDs is far
> >> greater than downloading. I have yet to get an unsuccessful download.
> >> The latest of which was 895 Mbytes of Windows 7 (64) Service pack 1.

> >> A little recipe software would be near impossible to fail a download.

> >> Best,

> >> Andy

> > =The failure rate on downloading is extremely small nowadays. I

> haven't
> > had a download failure in the past seven years. The old dial-up fail
> > rate was a different story as ISPs were notorious for shutting you
> > down when the download was 95% downloaded. I used to curse and swear
> > and rend my garments when that happened.

> Roy,
>
> I remember before the Internet fully flowered, I was on CompuServe at
> 300 baud. 30 cps (circa 1985). Before that, in 6th grade, I was IM on an
> APL/360 golfball typewriter paper output terminal. Primitive but very
> cool at the time.
>
> Youngsters today don't even know what life was like before Netscape.
> "Mom! What's Gopher?"
>
> Since we're waxing nostalgic, studying Pascal at UCLA we had to use
> Hollerith cards. It compiled into about 20 sheet/pages of JCL and one
> page of output. When the course was over I remember, like it was
> yesterday, taking my shoebox of carefully ordered Hollerith card
> programs and throwing them up in the air and let them shower down onto
> the living room floor. Looking back all I can say is WHY THE HECK DID
> THEY TEACH US SUCH USELESS OUTDATED CRAP?!?!?
>
> I still get a laugh at a great saying...
>
> "If your computer had eyes, you'd look like a statue."
> --Unknown
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

==
A bit like the Commodore128 which came with CPM as an extra when it
was already outmoded. That's okay I worked with various flavours of
DOS and in the early days worked with BASIC compilers just for the fun
of learning new techniques. Never was an expert at computers and never
pretended to be but starting using them when I was already an old man.
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Storrmmee wrote:

> one grandmother has taken the next step, the other no longer cooks except
> for the most basic,... and not often for that... my mom and sister have all
> the recipes and sister has the knack for baking that grandmother had, Lee

I have e a pleasant memory of coming home on leave from the military and
being reluctant to let me mum cook for me purchased a number of big
frozen meals, salisbury steak, lasagne & etc. It was an epiphany for me
mum, she had not had them, never thought of purchasing them, and became
a complete convert to them.

For all she was a very good cook her definition of good food was
anything she did not have to cook
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:36:07 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>I remember before the Internet fully flowered, I was on CompuServe at
>300 baud. 30 cps (circa 1985).

That was also my first modem speed. The old Bell 300 was and probably
is still the most reliable data transferring device via modem. It's
error checking was superb and you could count on it picking up at its
last place on recurring downloads.

We all bought the 2400, 4800, 9600, then 14.400 and 28.800 to 33.600
Baud to the current 56K modems and then onto the high speed stuff that
exists today.

My very first GUI's were done on a 9600. GUIs didn't exist yet, but I
made tiny ones to do tasks for fun. If I'd only known...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:44:19 -0700, sf > wrote:

>I imagine he'll be able to download a copy from the net if his CD is
>hosed. I don't see a problem with him having a hard copy back up.
>He'll probably put a copy on his portable drive too.

In the unlikely chance of the CD being no good, I'll simply send it
back and get another. I'm retired. I don't rush to do anything and
within reason, I don't care how long something takes to do.

I own a Droid X, but AFAIK, there isn't an app for MC yet. If they do
one, I'll get it.

My recipe PC will be in the kitchen where I'll use it. I've cleared a
space for it under the counter and my handy-man will be making the
holes necessary for the wires to the monitor, mouse and keyboard.

I'll have that PC networked into my main PC in the office where I can
work on net downloads and MC entry and then view the results in the
kitchen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:50:59 -0700, Mort > wrote:

>Landon wrote:
>
>>> Have at it
>>>
>>> http://www.madsrecipes.com/

>> Thanks Mort. Janet Wilder said she had some cookbooks of recipes she's
>> personally tried. I prefer that to the massive collections that are
>> available.
>>
>> That's a cool site. I've book marked it.

>There a whole section of Mario Batali. Guaranteed good
>
>Some other reliable authors also.

Thanks Mort!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-20, l, not -l > wrote:

> The situation nb cites appears to be a case of......

The "situation" was, I was using Linux and the "provider" didn't want
to be bothered with accomodating me and threw a fit when I tried to
discuss a solution. I'll be damned if I'm gonna fight over being
allowed to help.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2011 2:51 PM, Roy wrote:

> ==
> I still use WordPerfect12...and it doesn't format perfectly. I'm too
> poor to upgrade to (X)3.
> ==

Version 7 of Mastercook worked perfectly with Word Perfect 11, which was
what I had before X(3). I got a coupon from Dell and got X(3) for free.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2011 2:58 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Mar 20, 1:52 pm, Janet > wrote:

>>> ==
>>> As viewed from WordPerfect or Word Landon. NOT from the MC program.
>>> Geez, didn't you know that files from other programs can be viewed
>>> from word processor pgms. Lots of files can be loaded into Notepad for
>>> example but you won't make much sense out of them. However one can
>>> grab certain aspects of files not intended for the WP programs such as
>>> portions of "text" which can be pasted into other applications.
>>> ==

>> I have copied a Mastercook recipe and pasted it into notepad with
>> perfect results. Even the formatting was correct, which surprised me as
>> Notepad is famous for screwing up one's formatting.
>>
>> I don't mind constructive criticism and I know that Mastercook is
>> certainly not perfect, but I truly don't understand all the criticism
>> against it.
>>
>> If y'all are happy using Micro$oft Word, Notepad, Wordpad, Word Perfect
>> or whatever for your recipes, then stay with it, but if you have not
>> used Mastercook, then perhaps you might want to limit your criticism to
>> what you have actually used and not base it on conjecture?
>>
>> BTW, I have no financial interest in whomever is selling Mastercook
>> these days. I'm just a satisfied user.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

> ==
> I didn't think that I WAS criticizing Master Cook....just saying that
> if one doesn't own a copy it is hard to CHEAT and steal recipes
> created and formatted by MC. Undoubtedly Master Cook has its fans or
> it wouldn't sell.
> ==

That would be true if everyone posted their recipes in mastercook
format, but when the recipe is copied, it puts it into a text format
that anyone can use.

If there is a specific recipe yu are looking for and I have it in
Mastercook, I'd be happy to sent it to you pasted into an email.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2011 3:00 PM, Andy wrote:
> Janet > wrote:

>>> You're an old timer!
>>>
>>> Who waits for software to arrive in the mailbox???
>>>
>>> You CAN buy AND download the software online... in case you hadn't
>>> noticed.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> There are problems with the downloadable versions. He did the right
>> thing.

> Janet,
>
> That makes no sense to me. The frequency of badly stamped CDs is far
> greater than downloading. I have yet to get an unsuccessful download.
> The latest of which was 895 Mbytes of Windows 7 (64) Service pack 1.

I learned this on MstercookDiscussions Yahoo! Group. The company that
sends the downloads isn't the same company that produces the CDs. They
didn't copy something properly. There are problems in the downloads.
People have gotten refunds because of it.

> A little recipe software would be near impossible to fail a download.

It's a problem in the software, not the download.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2011 3:27 PM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 3/20/2011 2:52 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> ==
>>> As viewed from WordPerfect or Word Landon. NOT from the MC program.
>>> Geez, didn't you know that files from other programs can be viewed
>>> from word processor pgms. Lots of files can be loaded into Notepad for
>>> example but you won't make much sense out of them. However one can
>>> grab certain aspects of files not intended for the WP programs such as
>>> portions of "text" which can be pasted into other applications.
>>> ==

>> I have copied a Mastercook recipe and pasted it into notepad with
>> perfect results. Even the formatting was correct, which surprised me as
>> Notepad is famous for screwing up one's formatting.
>>
>> I don't mind constructive criticism and I know that Mastercook is
>> certainly not perfect, but I truly don't understand all the criticism
>> against it.
>>
>> If y'all are happy using Micro$oft Word, Notepad, Wordpad, Word Perfect
>> or whatever for your recipes, then stay with it, but if you have not
>> used Mastercook, then perhaps you might want to limit your criticism to
>> what you have actually used and not base it on conjecture?
>>
>> BTW, I have no financial interest in whomever is selling Mastercook
>> these days. I'm just a satisfied user.
>>

> Me too Janet. I'm still using MC 7, for which I paid the grand sum of
> $7.00 on Amazon some time ago. I grab recipes via copy and paste, paste
> them into MC with great success, including recipes from this group.
> Works for me.

Do you use Firefox, George? There is an excellent add-on called Recipe
Fox that will let you capture recipes from many, many popular web sites.
It's awesome. You click a little green button then click an export
button. Mastercook opens and you choose the cookbook to put the recipe
in. Voila! Like magic you have added an entire recipe from the internet
with 2 clicks. You can also get photos.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...don/recipefox/

I think you need to have your Java up to date. There is a forum for users.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2011 3:28 PM, Mort wrote:
> Landon wrote:
>
>> You dang blasted MC shill! Hahahahahaha
>>
>> I'm crackin me up!
>>
>> I'm not sure if the email address that shows in your usenet posts is
>> real, but if you would be so kind to send me the MC Cookbooks you
>> mentioned, you could send them to:
>>
>> tpbsaf AT yahoo.com (no space after the tpbsaf)
>>
>> I would greatly appreciate them.

> Have at it
>
> http://www.madsrecipes.com/

May he rest in peace. John Shotsky, who wrote Recipe Fox and Recipe
Tools is maintaining the site. Mad is cooking in the heavenly kitchen.
We honor him for his generosity and contribution to Mastercook users.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2011 3:53 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:35:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> Would it help people if those of us using recipes formatted by special
>> software cleaned up the formats when pasting to Usenet for posting? I'd
>> be happy to do that.

> It certainly would help!

The next time I post a recipe from my mastercook cook books, I'll take
out the extraneous stuff.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2011 4:16 PM, Roy wrote:

> A bit like the Commodore128 which came with CPM as an extra when it
> was already outmoded. That's okay I worked with various flavours of
> DOS and in the early days worked with BASIC compilers just for the fun
> of learning new techniques. Never was an expert at computers and never
> pretended to be but starting using them when I was already an old man.

They had a 128? Gosh! My Commodore was only a 64.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2011 4:42 PM, Landon wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:44:19 -0700, > wrote:
>

>> I imagine he'll be able to download a copy from the net if his CD is
>> hosed. I don't see a problem with him having a hard copy back up.
>> He'll probably put a copy on his portable drive too.

> In the unlikely chance of the CD being no good, I'll simply send it
> back and get another. I'm retired. I don't rush to do anything and
> within reason, I don't care how long something takes to do.
>
> I own a Droid X, but AFAIK, there isn't an app for MC yet. If they do
> one, I'll get it.

There is, but it sucks. I got it but deleted it. The writer had posted
on MastercookDiscussions Yahoo! Group.

> My recipe PC will be in the kitchen where I'll use it. I've cleared a
> space for it under the counter and my handy-man will be making the
> holes necessary for the wires to the monitor, mouse and keyboard.

I am too messy of a cook for a computer in the kitchen. I just print
out the one I'm using.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2011 5:49 PM, l, not -l wrote:
> On 20-Mar-2011, > wrote:
>
>> In both instances, I have to delete this
>>
>> vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
>>>
>>> * Exported from MasterCook *

> <SHRUG>
>
> OK; I just don't get it; if all you are going to do is cut and paste it into
> a text file and save it in a directory, I don't see why you care if there is
> a bit more than you need/want. The recipe is perfectly usable as shown.
> Then again, I may be misrembering; I thought you didn't use recipe software,
> just cut and paste into text files stored in a collection of folders.
>
> To each his or her own. I won't make you use MC if you won't make me use
> text files. 8-) But, I'll continue to post recipes as MC exports and you
> can choose not to save them or not. I learned long ago, no matter what you
> do on RFC (usenet in general, actually) there will be people who don't like
> they way you do it; you can't please everyone - the best you can hope for is
> to not ****-off everyone. ;-)

When we past our mastercook recipes to this newsgroup they are in text.
If I want to save someone's recipe, I still have to copy and paste it
into Import Assistant.

There is a Yahoo! Group for people to share their mastercook formatted
recipes in. I belonged for a little while, but never found anything
interesting and the moderation was way-heavy.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Member

I was looking at it on a site that reviewed that type of
software and it was #1 of the top ten they reviewed and had the most
people respond.When I want to make a specific dish and
I'm searching the internet, I open and save the template for that specific
dish. ]i.e. recipe-baby-back-ribs.doc]
2. Search the internet for recipes. I
did last time. It also allows me to make notes, what was good and what was
bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-21, l, not -l > wrote:

> Thus, the problem was not with MasterCook; but, a problem in interpersonal
> relations.

MC is proprietary software, which can create problems between other
platforms and/or software. I've said it, others have said it, it's
the issue being discussed. Feel free to spin it any way you like, the
fact remains.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:12:59 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 3/20/2011 4:42 PM, Landon wrote:

>> I own a Droid X, but AFAIK, there isn't an app for MC yet. If they do
>> one, I'll get it.

>There is, but it sucks. I got it but deleted it. The writer had posted
>on MastercookDiscussions Yahoo! Group.

Thanks Janet. I'll try it and evaluate it. Most of my use will be in
the kitchen while preparing meals.

>> My recipe PC will be in the kitchen where I'll use it. I've cleared a
>> space for it under the counter and my handy-man will be making the
>> holes necessary for the wires to the monitor, mouse and keyboard.

>I am too messy of a cook for a computer in the kitchen. I just print
>out the one I'm using.

I have to say you made me laugh when I read that. I was told once that
I could dirty more dishes while preparing a meal than anyone else. I
like to prep all my ingredients before starting to cook with each food
or seasoning in it's own bowl.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Mar 2011 04:39:41 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>MC is proprietary software, which can create problems between other
>platforms and/or software. I've said it, others have said it, it's
>the issue being discussed. Feel free to spin it any way you like, the
>fact remains.

This is true about every single piece of software ever written. No
code has ever been written that was free of "bugs" or free from
conflicts with other software.

The term "proprietary software" doesn't really mean anything. All
software is proprietary to some extent. It makes no difference if its
a applet or a full blown program.

MasterCook has tens of thousands of users. Obviously it must work
pretty well or there wouldn't be all those people using it every day.

If you're going to knock it, be specific. Say exactly what problems
with the software you have experienced.

If you don't even own it or use it, how can you knock something you
haven't yet used? Or have you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 22:49:50 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> I won't make you use MC if you won't make me use
>text files.

Thanks for the laugh! No kiddin! That was seriously funny!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:15:56 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>There is a Yahoo! Group for people to share their mastercook formatted
>recipes in. I belonged for a little while, but never found anything
>interesting and the moderation was way-heavy.

I just joined the Yahoo MC discussion group you mentioned earlier. I
saw the recipe group also, but I'll wait until I'm more familiar with
MC before getting into that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:35:43 -0400, Landon > wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:36:07 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>
> >I remember before the Internet fully flowered, I was on CompuServe at
> >300 baud. 30 cps (circa 1985).

> That was also my first modem speed. The old Bell 300 was and probably
> is still the most reliable data transferring device via modem. It's
> error checking was superb and you could count on it picking up at its
> last place on recurring downloads.
>
> We all bought the 2400, 4800, 9600, then 14.400 and 28.800 to 33.600
> Baud to the current 56K modems and then onto the high speed stuff that
> exists today.
>
> My very first GUI's were done on a 9600. GUIs didn't exist yet, but I
> made tiny ones to do tasks for fun. If I'd only known...

Honestly, I don't think that's anything to be bragging about. I
suffered through all that too, including compuserv - but I don't look
back at those times with anything other than relief.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2011 10:47 AM, Landon wrote:

> I have to say you made me laugh when I read that. I was told once that
> I could dirty more dishes while preparing a meal than anyone else. I
> like to prep all my ingredients before starting to cook with each food
> or seasoning in it's own bowl.

I do that, too. Mis en place (sp). Still I wind up taking up loads of
counter space with all the little dishes and bowls and chopping and
cutting boards that there is no room for a computer. If I dirty a piece
of cheap printer paper, who cares. I'd hate to ruin a keyboard with
spilled sauce or have my laptop stink of onions.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2011 11:03 AM, Landon wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:15:56 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> There is a Yahoo! Group for people to share their mastercook formatted
>> recipes in. I belonged for a little while, but never found anything
>> interesting and the moderation was way-heavy.

> I just joined the Yahoo MC discussion group you mentioned earlier. I
> saw the recipe group also, but I'll wait until I'm more familiar with
> MC before getting into that.

you have to prove to the that you can format the recipes the way they
want them. Then they require so many recipes a time period, I forgot how
long. It's highly moderated and I never did find anything worthwhile
there, so I left.

The discussion group is critical to owning the program. A couple of
months ago a Windows XP SP3 patch knocked out a string needed for the
program to operate properly. One of the Pams (there are 2 gals named
Pam) provided a fix and now it's working fine.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2011 11:12 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:35:43 -0400, > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:36:07 -0500, > wrote:
>>
>>> I remember before the Internet fully flowered, I was on CompuServe at
>>> 300 baud. 30 cps (circa 1985).

>> That was also my first modem speed. The old Bell 300 was and probably
>> is still the most reliable data transferring device via modem. It's
>> error checking was superb and you could count on it picking up at its
>> last place on recurring downloads.
>>
>> We all bought the 2400, 4800, 9600, then 14.400 and 28.800 to 33.600
>> Baud to the current 56K modems and then onto the high speed stuff that
>> exists today.
>>
>> My very first GUI's were done on a 9600. GUIs didn't exist yet, but I
>> made tiny ones to do tasks for fun. If I'd only known...
>>

> Honestly, I don't think that's anything to be bragging about. I
> suffered through all that too, including compuserv - but I don't look
> back at those times with anything other than relief.

Who's looking back? If I used dial up where I live it's 28.8 at the
fastest and mostly 19.9. That's in the year 2011!!!

I get my internet over-the-air. No cable out here in "the country"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 09:12:12 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:35:43 -0400, Landon > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:36:07 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>>
>> >I remember before the Internet fully flowered, I was on CompuServe at
>> >300 baud. 30 cps (circa 1985).

>> That was also my first modem speed. The old Bell 300 was and probably
>> is still the most reliable data transferring device via modem. It's
>> error checking was superb and you could count on it picking up at its
>> last place on recurring downloads.
>>
>> We all bought the 2400, 4800, 9600, then 14.400 and 28.800 to 33.600
>> Baud to the current 56K modems and then onto the high speed stuff that
>> exists today.
>>
>> My very first GUI's were done on a 9600. GUIs didn't exist yet, but I
>> made tiny ones to do tasks for fun. If I'd only known...
>>

>Honestly, I don't think that's anything to be bragging about. I
>suffered through all that too, including compuserv - but I don't look
>back at those times with anything other than relief.

It wasn't a brag, sf. Just a note of interest. It was a real challenge
to accomplish then, what we take for granted today.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:22:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> Who's looking back? If I used dial up where I live it's 28.8 at the
> fastest and mostly 19.9. That's in the year 2011!!!
>
> I get my internet over-the-air. No cable out here in "the country"

Ouch! I remember the days of needing tabbed browsing and an internet
answering machine. Seems like forever, but in reality it wasn't all
that long ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:17:34 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 3/21/2011 10:47 AM, Landon wrote:
>
>> I have to say you made me laugh when I read that. I was told once that
>> I could dirty more dishes while preparing a meal than anyone else. I
>> like to prep all my ingredients before starting to cook with each food
>> or seasoning in it's own bowl.

>I do that, too. Mis en place (sp). Still I wind up taking up loads of
>counter space with all the little dishes and bowls and chopping and
>cutting boards that there is no room for a computer. If I dirty a piece
>of cheap printer paper, who cares. I'd hate to ruin a keyboard with
>spilled sauce or have my laptop stink of onions.

Mise en place is how I learned to cook. I was a prep for a chef when I
was just a kid. He had this big wooden spoon he would whack me with if
I messed up one of his dishes.

I'm currently remodeling my entire home. My wife passed, my kid is
long out on his own and I'm retired. I have all the time in the world
now and have always wanted "My perfect kitchen".

I have 30 feet of combined counter space planned. That's not counting
the area for the sinks. It's going to be my cooking paradise.

I'm going all electric. I like cooking with gas, but the price
per/gallon of propane and natural gas have become stupid, so
all-electric it is for me.

I have a big generator for those times that the power is out.

Currently, I have every appliance made, almost. I have to run back and
forth to the pantry to get each appliance I need. I have about 4 feet
of counter now. No room for appliances.

My house is such a mess right now. I have the flooring exposed to
sub-floor and everything from the one room I'm working on stacked in
the living room. It looks like a warehouse.

As each room is completed, I move to the next and empty it into one of
the other rooms while I rip and tear it apart and rebuild it. It's
quite an adventure!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:42:00 -0400, Landon > wrote:

> My recipe PC will be in the kitchen where I'll use it. I've cleared a
> space for it under the counter and my handy-man will be making the
> holes necessary for the wires to the monitor, mouse and keyboard.
>
> I'll have that PC networked into my main PC in the office where I can
> work on net downloads and MC entry and then view the results in the
> kitchen.

I wouldn't set up a tower and monitor in the kitchen. My opinion is
laptops are perfect for that environment. I don't fry, but it seems
like the kitchen collects greasy dust anyway and IMO a laptop is
easier to keep clean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:12:59 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I am too messy of a cook for a computer in the kitchen. I just print
> out the one I'm using.

I prefer looking at the entire recipe. I've tried using the netbook
in the kitchen, but the screen is just too small for that and I don't
own a full sized laptop, so I don't know if it would work or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:50:59 -0700, Mort > wrote:

> Landon wrote:
>
> >> Have at it
> >>
> >> http://www.madsrecipes.com/

> > Thanks Mort. Janet Wilder said she had some cookbooks of recipes she's
> > personally tried. I prefer that to the massive collections that are
> > available.
> >
> > That's a cool site. I've book marked it.

> There a whole section of Mario Batali. Guaranteed good
>
> Some other reliable authors also.

That site is making me rethink Master Cook! It has recipes from my
favorite TV cooks, including Michael Chiarello.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-21, Landon > wrote:

> If you're going to knock it, be specific. Say exactly what problems
> with the software you have experienced.

I have. You've chosen to ignore it, jes like I will now choose to
ignore you.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:01:57 -0400, Landon > wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 22:49:50 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>
> > I won't make you use MC if you won't make me use
> >text files.

> Thanks for the laugh! No kiddin! That was seriously funny!!!!

It's hard to even read MC formatted recipes pasted into rfc without
heavily editing them first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:46:37 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

> my biggest shock was when i learned my father was an excellent cook beyond
> grilling, Lee

I wish my father *and* my husband had those hidden talents.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

our plan is for a netbook in the kitchen that will live with the cook books
when not in use, another thing we discussed was getting one of those
electronic picture frames, a big one next size up from 8 by 10 and hanging
it where the dh could see it, then chipping the recipe to be used into it so
he could read but not goo up, i think the net book is winning though, Lee
"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:42:00 -0400, Landon > wrote:
>
>> My recipe PC will be in the kitchen where I'll use it. I've cleared a
>> space for it under the counter and my handy-man will be making the
>> holes necessary for the wires to the monitor, mouse and keyboard.
>>
>> I'll have that PC networked into my main PC in the office where I can
>> work on net downloads and MC entry and then view the results in the
>> kitchen.

> I wouldn't set up a tower and monitor in the kitchen. My opinion is
> laptops are perfect for that environment. I don't fry, but it seems
> like the kitchen collects greasy dust anyway and IMO a laptop is
> easier to keep clean.
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

the list of ideal qualities that all teen aged girls makes out for prince
charming included, lots of things... but good cook and loves to cook i swear
were on mine... and i won the lottery for sure, Lee
"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:46:37 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>> my biggest shock was when i learned my father was an excellent cook
>> beyond
>> grilling, Lee

> I wish my father *and* my husband had those hidden talents.
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 09:47:43 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:42:00 -0400, Landon > wrote:
>
>> My recipe PC will be in the kitchen where I'll use it. I've cleared a
>> space for it under the counter and my handy-man will be making the
>> holes necessary for the wires to the monitor, mouse and keyboard.
>>
>> I'll have that PC networked into my main PC in the office where I can
>> work on net downloads and MC entry and then view the results in the
>> kitchen.

>I wouldn't set up a tower and monitor in the kitchen. My opinion is
>laptops are perfect for that environment. I don't fry, but it seems
>like the kitchen collects greasy dust anyway and IMO a laptop is
>easier to keep clean.

The tower will be under the counter. I'll have a 19" flat panel
monitor extending down from it's mount under the cabinet and the
wireless mouse and keyboard under it. I was going to run wires to the
mouse and keyboard, but the wireless ones work very well now.

With 30 feet of counter space, they won't be in the way.

I can't stand laptops. The keyboards make me nuts, the scrolling pad
and tiny joystick make me nuts and the screen size is too small on the
less expensive ones. Ha! No laptops in my life. For "away" PC use, I
have my Droid. It does everything I need away from my home office.