Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you consider the best recipe software for Windows?

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:23:12 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 3/14/2011 9:05 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:19:43 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm reading about the word processor people and their folders and sub
>>> folders and just shaking my head.

>> But you see, Janet... I shake my head when I think of all the work it
>> takes to input recipes into that software. I don't have the patience
>> to paste into little boxes little here and there . I do one big
>> paste, one click to remove the formatting, make it readable to me and
>> move on. Much less effort.
>>

>Okay. I had a recipe I think stu posted. I copied the recipe.
>
>Opened the cookbook and pasted it into the big window
>
>http://i56.tinypic.com/28wnd4g.jpg
>
>Then I highlighted the entire recipe and clicked auto fill. The entire
>recipe moves over into the file. Click save and it's done.
>
>http://i55.tinypic.com/a3whh.jpg
>
>Before clicking "save" I go into the categorize section in the recipe
>and check the category boxes. Same for the drop box for Cuisines.
>
>A couple of clicks and I'm done with my recipes in a cookbook, with
>categories, search capabilities, changeable serving calculations,
>nutritional information and even, if I want, pictures!
>
>I've done the word processing thing and I can truly say, Mastercook is
>soooooo much better. Just having the database abilities is worth it and
>there is no more work to putting a recipe in than there is in putting a
>recipe into a final text file. You have to clean up almost every recipe
>you take from the net or Usenet to some extent.

Great screen-shots! I can't wait until it gets here!

Its going to be a blast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:06:32 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> http://i54.tinypic.com/2uykojc.jpg
>
> This was my kitchen:
>
> http://i54.tinypic.com/29ld5ee.jpg

Oh, man Janet - you had one rockin' rig!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 01:31:42 -0400, Landon > wrote:

> I lived in an apartment one time where the kitchen was behind folding
> ceiling to floor doors. The Kitchen was only as wide as the fridge.
> Maybe 30".

The older I get, the better I like that idea!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 17:29:42 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

> Janet replies to sf:
> Yeah, sure. File 'Meat', sub folders 'beef', 'lamb' 'pork'. Makes sense to
> me. or even cross post to a couple of folders where it makes sense. Beef,
> Beef grilled or whatever. The important thing is that I know what I mean.
> Janet

Great minds think alike!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 01:39:55 -0400, Landon > wrote:

> It's a cardinal rule of databases to <never> store more
> than one copy of each unique record.

I used to do that, but I decided to break that rule a couple of weeks
ago. Now I file as I think and if I think two ways - that's how I
file it. If I can't find it immediately when I "hand" search, then
the computer do it with my search terms and turn it up. I haven't
failed yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:23:12 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I've done the word processing thing and I can truly say, Mastercook is
> soooooo much better. Just having the database abilities is worth it and
> there is no more work to putting a recipe in than there is in putting a
> recipe into a final text file. You have to clean up almost every recipe
> you take from the net or Usenet to some extent.

Thanks, Janet! You've "almost" convinced me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 01:08:46 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:23:12 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:
>
>> I've done the word processing thing and I can truly say, Mastercook is
>> soooooo much better. Just having the database abilities is worth it and
>> there is no more work to putting a recipe in than there is in putting a
>> recipe into a final text file. You have to clean up almost every recipe
>> you take from the net or Usenet to some extent.

>Thanks, Janet! You've "almost" convinced me.

She sold *me*.<g> I was interested when she talked about the
cookbook import- export ability-- I am use several word docs-
'Favorites' 'General' - 'try me someday' 'wines', and some specific
ingredients.

They work fine for searching-- but I want to print up little cookbooks
of 'favorites' for the kids & I don't know enough about word to make
that happen without a whole lot of work.

For $20 & the ability to copy/paste what I have-- search by a
selection of ingredients- and print cookbooks, it is worth a go to me.

Put in for your commission from the developers, Janet.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2011 2:53 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:06:32 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>

>> http://i54.tinypic.com/2uykojc.jpg
>>
>> This was my kitchen:
>>
>> http://i54.tinypic.com/29ld5ee.jpg

> Oh, man Janet - you had one rockin' rig!

It was home. I worked with the manufacturer for 2 and a half months
customizing it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2011 12:31 AM, Landon wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:06:32 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:

>> We live in a house now and have for the past 6 years, but we have a
>> small camper now and we intend to do some "flitting" in it this summer.

> I lived in an apartment one time where the kitchen was behind folding
> ceiling to floor doors. The Kitchen was only as wide as the fridge.
> Maybe 30". It was a challenge, but I made a bunch of food in that
> little bitty kitchen!

My aunt had a studio apartment that had one of those kitchens. I was a
little kid when she lived there. It was within walking distance of our
own apartment and I used to visit her so she'd make me jelly omelets. It
has to be over half a century since I've had a jelly omelet.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2011 7:41 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 01:08:46 -0700, > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:23:12 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I've done the word processing thing and I can truly say, Mastercook is
>>> soooooo much better. Just having the database abilities is worth it and
>>> there is no more work to putting a recipe in than there is in putting a
>>> recipe into a final text file. You have to clean up almost every recipe
>>> you take from the net or Usenet to some extent.

>> Thanks, Janet! You've "almost" convinced me.
>>

> She sold *me*.<g> I was interested when she talked about the
> cookbook import- export ability-- I am use several word docs-
> 'Favorites' 'General' - 'try me someday' 'wines', and some specific
> ingredients.
>
> They work fine for searching-- but I want to print up little cookbooks
> of 'favorites' for the kids& I don't know enough about word to make
> that happen without a whole lot of work.
>
> For $20& the ability to copy/paste what I have-- search by a
> selection of ingredients- and print cookbooks, it is worth a go to me.
>
> Put in for your commission from the developers, Janet.<g>
>
> Jim

I am working with the fellow who actually wrote the Recipefox program
tight now. He has a thing called "recipe tools" that you can get from
his website that will convert entire text cookbooks into Mastercook
format. It's a bit complicated for me but some of y'all might
understand it better.

http://recipetools.gotdns.com/

This would make converting entire cookbooks easier.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 01:39:55 -0400, Landon > wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 17:29:42 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:
>

>>"sf" wrote in message ...
>>
>>On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:50:34 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:
>>
>>> I knew how to file, I knew what sort of categories I would use to
>>> sort recipes.

>>I don't know about you, but I organized my categories as they appear.
>>If it looks like I'm accumulating a bunch of recipes that are similar,
>>I make folders or subfolders... let's say if they have a main
>>ingredient of sweet potato, I'll make a sub folder under potato and
>>call it sweet potato.

>If the literal size of the data files is small enough in totality,
>then the search of the data would be quick anyway. If it was a lot of
>data, it would slow it down radically if there was repeat data in the
>same database. It's a cardinal rule of databases to <never> store more
>than one copy of each unique record.
>
>You reference the data from the other categories. That's why a
>database like MasterCook is so handy. For what it does, it's fast as
>all get out.
>
>I imagine MasterCook has some way of identifying recipes that fit in
>multiple categories. A simple check mark or radio button tells it to
>always show that recipe when each of the checked boxes are present.
>
>Sorry, I'm a database guy...don't get me started.

When you file the recipe you select the category or categories for it.
You can search for the recipe by name or category. You can add your
own categories if you want to.

You can create shopping lists and menus. You can put in a whole day's
worth of menus and check the nutrition for the day. You can print an
alphabetized list or a list by category.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:20:56 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 3/14/2011 5:59 PM, The Cook wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:19:44 -0400, > wrote:

>>> Thanks Kent. I'm getting lazy in my old age....hahahaa
>>>
>>> I've designed databases for the last 30 years, but don't want to
>>> bother with taking the time to duplicate what is available so
>>> inexpensively.
>>>
>>> I just ordered "Master Cook" for $20, including shipping. I'm sure
>>> it'll do what I need and 20 bucks isn't very much money.

>> I think you will be happy with it. I have been using it since version
>> 3 I think. The copyright date is 1995. I have never had any problems
>> with it, even when upgrading.
>>
>> I don't collect thousands of recipes since I doubt I would ever even
>> try more a few. I keep all the recipes that were originally in my
>> file box and the ones that I have added in later years. If I see a
>> recipe that looks interesting I will try it and if we like it I put it
>> in MC.

>I have a oookbook called "Recipes to Test" that I created in my
>mastercook especially for new ones that I'm not certain of.

I've got one of those too. If something looks interesting I will put
it there until I have tried it. Then move to the regular file or
delete it.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 07:53:27 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 3/15/2011 12:31 AM, Landon wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:06:32 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:

>>> We live in a house now and have for the past 6 years, but we have a
>>> small camper now and we intend to do some "flitting" in it this summer.

>> I lived in an apartment one time where the kitchen was behind folding
>> ceiling to floor doors. The Kitchen was only as wide as the fridge.
>> Maybe 30". It was a challenge, but I made a bunch of food in that
>> little bitty kitchen!

>My aunt had a studio apartment that had one of those kitchens. I was a
>little kid when she lived there. It was within walking distance of our
>own apartment and I used to visit her so she'd make me jelly omelets. It
>has to be over half a century since I've had a jelly omelet.

The living room was also the bedroom. Both of the couches slid
together and became the bed. It was the smallest room I've ever lived
in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 01:01:40 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 01:39:55 -0400, Landon > wrote:
>
>> It's a cardinal rule of databases to <never> store more
>> than one copy of each unique record.

>I used to do that, but I decided to break that rule a couple of weeks
>ago. Now I file as I think and if I think two ways - that's how I
>file it. If I can't find it immediately when I "hand" search, then
>the computer do it with my search terms and turn it up. I haven't
>failed yet.

That just goes to show that there really isn't a "one-size-fits-all".
It would be such a boring world if we were all exactly the same.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:19:28 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

>When you file the recipe you select the category or categories for it.
>You can search for the recipe by name or category. You can add your
>own categories if you want to.
>
>You can create shopping lists and menus. You can put in a whole day's
>worth of menus and check the nutrition for the day. You can print an
>alphabetized list or a list by category.

Thanks! I'm going to have a blast filling it up!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:41:24 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>She sold *me*.<g> I was interested when she talked about the
>cookbook import- export ability-- I am use several word docs-
>'Favorites' 'General' - 'try me someday' 'wines', and some specific
>ingredients.
>
>They work fine for searching-- but I want to print up little cookbooks
>of 'favorites' for the kids & I don't know enough about word to make
>that happen without a whole lot of work.
>
>For $20 & the ability to copy/paste what I have-- search by a
>selection of ingredients- and print cookbooks, it is worth a go to me.
>
>Put in for your commission from the developers, Janet.<g>
>
>Jim

Wait, wait.....I want my cut! Eleventy two ninety five!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> Let me know when yo are up and running and I'll shoot you over a couple
> of cook books.

Might want to phrase that a little differently...

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> She sold *me*.<g> I was interested when she talked about the
> cookbook import- export ability-- I am use several word docs-
> 'Favorites' 'General' - 'try me someday' 'wines', and some specific
> ingredients.

Let me know how your conversion goes. I shudder to think how slow it
would be.

> They work fine for searching-- but I want to print up little cookbooks
> of 'favorites' for the kids & I don't know enough about word to make
> that happen without a whole lot of work.

I have no interest in making personal cookbooks for anyone. My
children have their own styles of cooking and already have the recipes
of mine that they had any interest in duplicating.

> For $20 & the ability to copy/paste what I have-- search by a
> selection of ingredients- and print cookbooks, it is worth a go to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 13:34:38 -0400, Landon wrote:

MCINL.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:25:04 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>MCINL.

The only reference I found for the abbreviation you used is:

Abbreviation for an Irish Stew:

"Mushrooms, Carrots, Idaho potatoes, Napa Cabbage, and Lamb"

In the context of recipe software, it makes no sense to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:51:05 -0400, Landon wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:25:04 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>>MCINL.

> The only reference I found for the abbreviation you used is:
>
> Abbreviation for an Irish Stew:
>
> "Mushrooms, Carrots, Idaho potatoes, Napa Cabbage, and Lamb"

<hint - I'm not Irish>

> In the context of recipe software, it makes no sense to me.

And so it shouldn't. Maybe if you'd hung around r.f.c. for more that 48
hours or so, you'd know what MCINL is an acronym for. Or, then again,
maybe not...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:59:33 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:51:05 -0400, Landon wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:25:04 +0200, ChattyCathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>MCINL.

>> The only reference I found for the abbreviation you used is:
>>
>> Abbreviation for an Irish Stew:
>>
>> "Mushrooms, Carrots, Idaho potatoes, Napa Cabbage, and Lamb"

><hint - I'm not Irish>
>>
>> In the context of recipe software, it makes no sense to me.

>And so it shouldn't. Maybe if you'd hung around r.f.c. for more that 48
>hours or so, you'd know what MCINL is an acronym for. Or, then again,
>maybe not...

That's pretty funny. MCINL?

How in the world would that be an acronym for "Or, then again, maybe
not"?

OTAMN would make a lot more sense.

btw, your comment about my longevity in rfc was rude and unnecessary.
You should learn how to greet people, not insult them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:21:59 -0400, Landon > wrote:

> That's pretty funny. MCINL?

As far as I can tell, it's rfc survey centric only:
My Choice Is Not Listed.

See http://www.recfoodcooking.com/ which is hosted and maintained by
Cathy, bless her little ole cotton pickin' heart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 12:46:06 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>MCINL?

>As far as I can tell, it's rfc survey centric only:
>My Choice Is Not Listed.

Thanks sf. That makes perfect sense. Today's abbreviations with all
the "texting" lingo makes me a little crazy. It's like trying to learn
a foreign language!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 14, 5:47*pm, Landon > wrote:

I've been using Master Cook for eons....since version 3 maybe...but I
never upgraded. I was thinking about getting the new version. You
think it would import all my stuff from the old version???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

my question is do the older versions work on xp and vista and win 7? Lee
"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Mar 14, 5:47 pm, Landon > wrote:

I've been using Master Cook for eons....since version 3 maybe...but I
never upgraded. I was thinking about getting the new version. You
think it would import all my stuff from the old version???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i asked because on the list of "replace it" are new computers and only seven
seems to be avaialable, thanks, Lee
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:19:05 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>my question is do the older versions work on xp and vista and win 7? Lee
>>"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>>On Mar 14, 5:47 pm, Landon > wrote:
>>
>>I've been using Master Cook for eons....since version 3 maybe...but I
>>never upgraded. I was thinking about getting the new version. You
>>think it would import all my stuff from the old version???
>>

> Stormee, not to be negative, but so far in my experience, nothing
> works with Win 7. It either doesn't work outright or important
> features are disabled. And if you go with Win 7, don't count on being
> able to read all your old files. You will probably have to look for
> some software fixes and still not be able to open everything. This is
> my experience. I'm no techie and I will readily admit that I am
> recovering from illness that left me with brain fog. I'm finally
> beginning to work through some of the fog but Win 7 continues to taunt
> me.
> Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:19:05 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>my question is do the older versions work on xp and vista and win 7? Lee
>"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>On Mar 14, 5:47 pm, Landon > wrote:
>
>I've been using Master Cook for eons....since version 3 maybe...but I
>never upgraded. I was thinking about getting the new version. You
>think it would import all my stuff from the old version???

Stormee, not to be negative, but so far in my experience, nothing
works with Win 7. It either doesn't work outright or important
features are disabled. And if you go with Win 7, don't count on being
able to read all your old files. You will probably have to look for
some software fixes and still not be able to open everything. This is
my experience. I'm no techie and I will readily admit that I am
recovering from illness that left me with brain fog. I'm finally
beginning to work through some of the fog but Win 7 continues to taunt
me.
Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:21:59 -0400, Landon wrote:

> btw, your comment about my longevity in rfc was rude and unnecessary.
> You should learn how to greet people, not insult them.

<snork> So which recipe software company are you shilling for?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:01:48 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:21:59 -0400, Landon wrote:
>

>> btw, your comment about my longevity in rfc was rude and unnecessary.
>> You should learn how to greet people, not insult them.

><snork> So which recipe software company are you shilling for?

None at all, CC. I'm just a regular person trying to find some fun and
enjoy myself on the net.

You greet me with unjustified claims of my having some sort of agenda.

I don't. Thanks for showing me such a warm welcome to rfc.

Having seen your website and read a lot of it, I have to compliment
you on how well its set up. Its informative and fun.

I'm surprised that you've greeted me in this manner.

I can only imagine that you're having a bad week or something. Perhaps
you'll be in a better mood tomorrow.

I even looked at your photo on your site. You don't look like a mean
person, so why are you acting like one?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:09:31 -0400, Landon wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:01:48 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:21:59 -0400, Landon wrote:
>>

>>> btw, your comment about my longevity in rfc was rude and unnecessary.
>>> You should learn how to greet people, not insult them.

>><snork> So which recipe software company are you shilling for?

> None at all, CC. I'm just a regular person trying to find some fun and
> enjoy myself on the net.

Yeah right.

> You greet me with unjustified claims of my having some sort of agenda.
>
> I don't. Thanks for showing me such a warm welcome to rfc.

You're capable of sarcasm, who knew?

> Having seen your website and read a lot of it, I have to compliment you
> on how well its set up. Its informative and fun.

Well tried, but sucking up isn't going to score you any brownie points.

> I'm surprised that you've greeted me in this manner.

If you'd taken the time to do some research before shilling, you'd not be
surprised at all.

Not likely. Shills tend to **** me off 365 days a year.

> I even looked at your photo on your site. You don't look like a mean
> person, so why are you acting like one?

See above.

Anyway, it's been nice playing with you. I'm off to check on dinner -
which, BTW is based on one of the recipes in the RFC Cookbook - which
AFAIAA is not available (in its entirety) from recipe software sites such
as MasterCook offer.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 18:29:01 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:09:31 -0400, Landon wrote:
>
>>><snork> So which recipe software company are you shilling for?

>> None at all, CC. I'm just a regular person trying to find some fun and
>> enjoy myself on the net.

>Yeah right.
>You're capable of sarcasm, who knew?
>Well tried, but sucking up isn't going to score you any brownie points.
>If you'd taken the time to do some research before shilling, you'd not be
>surprised at all.
> Shills tend to **** me off 365 days a year.

Well, since I'll be here for quite some time, you'll have the chance
to learn that I'm not a shill for anything.

I don't give a rats ass what software anyone uses, if any at all.

My intentions were to find out from some people who use a lot of
recipes, what software they preferred. RFC is a perfect place to find
people who like recipes, ya think?

Had the consensus of opinion been that "RecipeMagic" was the perfect
software, I would have ordered that one. Instead, several members here
have said that they use MasterCook and are very pleased with it, so
I've ordered it for my own use.

You shouldn't be so quick to judge others. It makes you look stupid
and ignorant.

Shame on you for acting in this manner. You should be ashamed of
yourself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:08:27 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 3/14/2011 5:25 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:16:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I looked into Big Oven once, but I'm just a Mastercook junkie.

>> Big Oven is recipe software? I just use it as a recipe search engine.
>>

>I just took a look and they don't have the recipe software any more. It
>was back in 2005-2006 that they were selling a cookbook package. I guess
>it didn't work out.

Worked out fine.
Whole site was upgraded and completely redone.
There's now free apps for all the iStuff, Android, etc. and the
program for windows is still available he
http://www.bigoven.com/software/windows

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2011 5:19 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> my question is do the older versions work on xp and vista and win 7? Lee
> > wrote in message
> On Mar 14, 5:47 pm, > wrote:
>
> I've been using Master Cook for eons....since version 3 maybe...but I
> never upgraded. I was thinking about getting the new version. You
> think it would import all my stuff from the old version???

Answers to all questions about Mastercook can be found on he Yahoo!
Group MastercookDiscussion. The people who answer questions are
extremely knowledgeable. A couple of them work with the software company
to help fix glitches.

AFAIK, when you install a new version, it will put your cookbooks into
the new version.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2011 1:03 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:08:27 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> On 3/14/2011 5:25 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:16:07 -0500, Janet Wilder

>>> Big Oven is recipe software? I just use it as a recipe search engine.
>>>

>> I just took a look and they don't have the recipe software any more. It
>> was back in 2005-2006 that they were selling a cookbook package. I guess
>> it didn't work out.

> Worked out fine.
> Whole site was upgraded and completely redone.
> There's now free apps for all the iStuff, Android, etc. and the
> program for windows is still available he
> http://www.bigoven.com/software/windows
>
> Ross.

Thanks for sharing that, Ross. Some people I knew were using Big Oven's
recipe software.

I never tried it because I've been quite happy with Mastercook and I
didn't feel the need to spend $29.95 on another program.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 16, 5:08*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> * Answers to all questions about Mastercook can be found on he Yahoo!
> Group MastercookDiscussion. *The people who answer questions are
> extremely knowledgeable. A couple of them work with the software company
> to help fix glitches.
>
> AFAIK, when you install a new version, it will put your cookbooks into
> the new version.

Kewl......thanks !!

Experienced Member

I'm trying to find the latest, greatest software that will allow
importing of existing recipes on the net and easy to use with great
search features.
I was looking at it on a site that reviewed that type of
software and it was #1 of the top ten they reviewed and had the most
people respond.Paste that onto your newly created file. IMPORTANT. Save as
unformatted text, or you'll have a mess.
Then as I continue to search I put additional rib recipes in the
recipe file.
__________________
car MP3 Player

MP3 Player
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you consider the best recipe?

probably my grandmother's pork chops and rice, her german choc cake, her
pound cake, the other grandmother dinner rolls and chocolate gravy, my
mothers meatloaf and ham and beans, my dressing and dh's lasagna, Lee, now
drooling
"M. JL Esq." > wrote in message
> Ok, since nobody has stated the obvious i will
>

> What do YOU consider the best recipe?
>
> I know its like asking what's the best, book, poem, movie, song, etc.
>
> But i do have my own top ten list.
>
> And in no particular order it includes chicken fried steak, a chicken
> fricassee that uses red wine and beef gravy is also on the list, chicken &
> shrimp, BLT's, salad, plain, boiled & salted black eyed peas, plain boiled
> beef, garlic sourdough toast, and anything chocolate
> --
> JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"M. JL Esq." > wrote:

> What do YOU consider the best recipe?
>
> I know its like asking what's the best, book, poem, movie, song, etc.

The favorites that I cook a

(1) Pork and Yorkshire pudding
(2) Chicken and Dumplings
(3) Beef and barley soup
(4) Beef enchiladas
(5) Ginger chicken stir-fry
(6) Fried chicken with white gravy and mashed potatoes
(7) Fried pork chops with w/g and mashed potatoes
(8) Deep fried fish (cod) and chips
(9) Anything bisque. Don't ask for a definition.
(10) Curried beef over rice

These are mostly meals, not recipes. There isn't a recipe in the bunch.
I'm sure I've left something out that should be in my top ten. All are
mundane in the recipe and technique, and all but number (10), my wife
will eat.

leo