Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you consider the best recipe?

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> "M. JL Esq." > wrote:
>

>>Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

>>>(4) Beef enchiladas

>>I would be interested in anything you might like to tell us about yours,
>>i purchase commercially available sauces and rarely make my own refried
>>beans or green sauce for chicken enchilada. Do you have any
>>recommendations for brand name sauces? I do a pretty good chilli
>>rellanos thanks to a quesa from a local Mexican market.

> I'm afraid my enchiladas are uninspired by anyone's definition, but I
> like them. I don't make my own sauce. I use either Las Palmas or maybe
> La Victoria enchilada sauce. I've also use the packaged stuff with
> tomato sauce, but canned tastes better to me.
> I fry up ground beef, onion and green chiles (canned) and season with
> salt for the filling, pass corn tortillas through hot oil, dredge in
> sauce, fill, roll and set in a glass casserole that has some sauce on
> the bottom. I pour the remainder of the sauce over the enchiladas and
> then top with Colby, sliced olives and scallions. Reheat.
> Like I said, uninspired. Served with Spanish rice and Rosarita refried
> beans , and it's a meal I've eaten since I was a kid.
> I could do much much better with a little effort. I choose not to. This
> is easy peasy and a taste of my childhood.
>
> leo

Thanks, that's pretty much as i do also, i often use las palmas my self
but i keep looking for something better, there's a brand of sauces &
spices called el guapo that i like but they both seem a bit less well
seasoned than what i can get from a couple of local Mexican restaurants.
I have been tempted to poke through the trash at one place near me,
see what brand of empty cans they are throwing away but haven't got up
the nerve to do so yet
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you consider the best recipe software for Windows?

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 22:40:14 +0000, l, not -l wrote:

> On 21-Mar-2011, Janet Wilder > wrote:

>> > That must be the one where editing and you change tabbed areas (notes,
>> > directions, etc) it crashes. I'll check the yahoo group right-away and
>> > get
>> > the fix.
>> > Thanks

>> That was the one!

> Yea!!!!!! It works; guess I better start reading the discussion group
> regularly again.
> Thanks

If I'm using freebie software, and it suddenly starts 'crashing', I'm
prepared to mooch around on the 'net to see if anybody knows why and/or
has come up with a patch... However, if I *pay* for software, I'd expect
the vendors themselves to notify me if/when M$ Windows patches screw
something up in their software package - and supply patch(es) for download
from their support website. *Having* to join some yahoo discussion group
to get information/patches for stuff like this is ludicrous, IMHO.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 18:11:30 +0000, notbob wrote:

> Several ppl, including myself, have substantiated this fact more than
> once. Landon is either a cretin or a simple troll. I choose
> the later. Disregard and move on.

Amen.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2011 1:12 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 22:40:14 +0000, l, not -l wrote:

>>> That was the one!

>> Yea!!!!!! It works; guess I better start reading the discussion group
>> regularly again.
>> Thanks

> If I'm using freebie software, and it suddenly starts 'crashing', I'm
> prepared to mooch around on the 'net to see if anybody knows why and/or
> has come up with a patch... However, if I *pay* for software, I'd expect
> the vendors themselves to notify me if/when M$ Windows patches screw
> something up in their software package - and supply patch(es) for download
> from their support website. *Having* to join some yahoo discussion group
> to get information/patches for stuff like this is ludicrous, IMHO.

Cathy,

You are correct.

There is basically no corporate support for Mastercook. The company that
made it is gone. Another company bought the rights and the people on the
Yahoo! discussion group work with that company's programmers to fix
glitches.

I have several expensive software programs like Word Perfect Office and
Adobe Elements and *never*, over the many, many years I've used these
bought and paid for programs, has either company sent me a notification
about patches. It is up to me to go to their web site and look for
updates or, in the event something doesn't work and I contact them, they
will email me a patch.

The newest version of Mastercook is simply the last version by the
defunct company that had some additional code put in so that it will
load and run better on Windows 7 and Vista. Before that, people running
W7 and Vista had to do things with "administrative permissions" (I have
no idea what that is, I still run XP)

I also use Firefox and Thunderbird. If I have a problem I go to one of
Mozilla Project newsgroups (news.mozilla.org) and get help or I go to
the Mozilla web site. Is that any different than going to a Yahoo!
discussion group? I don't think so. Both places have people who
volunteer. Neither place charges a fee for the help. I use Open Office
and I go to their site and see if there are updates. They don't send me
notices.

The Mastercook discussion group has several very dedicated people, some
of whom worked with the original developers on upgrades and
enhancements, who volunteer their time and efforts to help users of the
software. I find it very comforting to have a place I can go where I
trust the information and assistance rather than just "mooch around" the
internet. These folks will be around for the long haul, unlike many free
software providers and even commercial software providers.

I did pay for my software as I'm sure others did, but lots of people pay
for "free" software by making donations to the developers. Unlike the
people purchasing the program now, I did not pay the current owners, I
paid the developers who are no longer there, but If I ever switch to a
newer OS and buying another copy of the software would make it easier to
use, I'd do it.

Though you aren't at all interested in its capabilities, I am quite
attached to it and I have not found anything else, paid or free, that
does what it does for me. I do not find having to go to a Yahoo!
discussion group any more "ludicrous" than taking my car to a local
mechanic instead of bringing it back to the factory where it was made.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:16:45 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>I don't think it is normal practice for vendors of $20 software to "push"
>changes or spend a lot of time on notifications; that is why they are
>low-cost - they use web-based tech-support.

At last, the voice of reason.

$20

For a piece of software that will hold, track, import, export and
provide great search capabilities for a million recipes, more or less.

$20 for goodness sakes. If I turned the old couch in my Florida room
upside down and shook it, I think that there may be that much in it in
pocket change.

That's less cost than one meal out.

Way less than one fill up at the $$GAS$$ station. etc. etc. etc.

Some of you folks who are complaining so loud about this software
should remember we're talking about $20. Let's stay real folks.

Thanks "l, not -l", for pointing out the obvious.

By the way, as an Asian food lover for many years, I imported 700
Asian recipes from http://www.madsrecipes.com/ and all imported
flawlessly and gave me tons of new things to try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> I paid quite a bit for a copy of Adobe Acrobat (the full version that
> allows one to create/edit .pdf files, not the reader) over five years ago
> - and they *still* email me information about patches/updates/upgrades for
> it. Did you perhaps neglect to register your software when you purchased
> it or no longer have the same email address you had then?

We have the FREE Adobe Reader. It automatically checks for updates,
downloads and installs them (that is user configurable). We bought the
cheapest MS Office (about US$100) many years ago. It does weekly checks
for updates, and prompts for downloading and installation (also user
configurable), despite the fact that the version is obsolete.

> > I do not find having to go to a Yahoo! discussion group any more
> > "ludicrous" than taking my car to a local mechanic instead of bringing
> > it back to the factory where it was made.

> So your local mechanics know more about your car than the "official
> agents" do? Interesting.

I don't ship my car to the factory for maintenance, but the mechanics
have been trained by the manufacturer to repair my car. In fact, the
head mechanic used to be the service manager at a dealership for that
brand (Toyota).

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2011 2:58 PM, sf wrote:
> The only recipe software I've ever given a test drive is Gourmet.
> It's still on my machine, but I don't use it because it's more work
> than I'm willing to put into saving recipes. Master Cook is not my
> style either, based on the format I see when recipes are copied from
> there to here. I know nothing about Big Oven; but it I have to fill
> in blanks anywhere, it's too slow for me.

I use Now You're Cooking and I like it a lot. We got Master Cook for my
mom, but it's not that user friendly to someone who can't use something
simple out of the box so she doesn't use it. I think she'd like NYC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

can you compare the two programs in practicle terms? Lee
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
m...
> On 3/19/2011 2:58 PM, sf wrote:
>> The only recipe software I've ever given a test drive is Gourmet.
>> It's still on my machine, but I don't use it because it's more work
>> than I'm willing to put into saving recipes. Master Cook is not my
>> style either, based on the format I see when recipes are copied from
>> there to here. I know nothing about Big Oven; but it I have to fill
>> in blanks anywhere, it's too slow for me.

> I use Now You're Cooking and I like it a lot. We got Master Cook for my
> mom, but it's not that user friendly to someone who can't use something
> simple out of the box so she doesn't use it. I think she'd like NYC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph wrote:

> For all she was a very good cook her definition of good food was anything
> she did not have to cook

Many people -- including some highly-respected chefs -- share that
definition.

Bob