Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soups On! 3-12-11

Beef soup with red chard and all sorts of other vegetables.
Hubby did the cooking.
http://oi54.tinypic.com/1eb8sl.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 8:00*pm, sf > wrote:
> Beef soup with red chard and all sorts of other vegetables. *
> Hubby did the cooking. *http://oi54.tinypic.com/1eb8sl.jpg

That soup not only looks yummy, it gives excellent reminder of my
tomorrow making of leek potato creamed soup the work crew has asked
for. I do enjoy making all sorts of soups, though i've not yet tried
adding a chard. Thanks for sharing inspiration!
.... Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 20:21:13 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse
> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 8:00*pm, sf > wrote:
> > Beef soup with red chard and all sorts of other vegetables. *
> > Hubby did the cooking. *http://oi54.tinypic.com/1eb8sl.jpg

> That soup not only looks yummy, it gives excellent reminder of my
> tomorrow making of leek potato creamed soup the work crew has asked
> for. I do enjoy making all sorts of soups, though i've not yet tried
> adding a chard. Thanks for sharing inspiration!
> ... Picky

I really do like red chard in soupy things. It has more flavor than
cabbage... and it's prettier too. You can use it in place of spinach
too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 9:00*pm, sf > wrote:
> Beef soup with red chard and all sorts of other vegetables. *
> Hubby did the cooking. *http://oi54.tinypic.com/1eb8sl.jpg

Beautiful colors!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 9:33*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 20:21:13 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse

sf responce....
> I really do like red chard in soupy things. *It has more flavor than
> cabbage... and it's prettier too. *You can use it in place of spinach
> too. *

Okay, thanks for the descriptive tip! I have no memory of chard's
flavor, and I do use cabbage and spinach often.
....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/03/2011 11:00 PM, sf wrote:

> Beef soup with red chard and all sorts of other vegetables.
> Hubby did the cooking.
> http://oi54.tinypic.com/1eb8sl.jpg

Looks good. I chard edible that way. I like soup but can't say the same
about chard.

I have been on a peas soup kick lately. I have been getting smoked pork
hocks from the butcher. I toss some chopped onion, celery and carrot
into the pan with some oil and give it a few minutes, then add a little
chopped garlic and give it a another minute or two, then toss in the ham
hock, some bay leaf and split peas and water. Let it simmer for a few
hours. Wow it's good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/03/2011 11:00 PM, sf wrote:

> Beef soup with red chard and all sorts of other vegetables.
> Hubby did the cooking.
> http://oi54.tinypic.com/1eb8sl.jpg

Looks good. I chard edible that way. I like soup but can't say the same
about chard.

I have been on a peas soup kick lately. I have been getting smoked pork
hocks from the butcher. I toss some chopped onion, celery and carrot
into the pan with some oil and give it a few minutes, then add a little
chopped garlic and give it a another minute or two, then toss in the ham
hock, some bay leaf and split peas and water. Let it simmer for a few
hours. Wow it's good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 10:16:43 -0700 (PDT), JeanineAlyse
> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 9:33*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 20:21:13 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse

> sf responce....
> > I really do like red chard in soupy things. *It has more flavor than
> > cabbage... and it's prettier too. *You can use it in place of spinach
> > too. *

> Okay, thanks for the descriptive tip! I have no memory of chard's
> flavor, and I do use cabbage and spinach often.

I bet you'll like it. Don't over cook, throw it in last. You can
often find other colors or all the colors together in one bunch,
called "Rainbow". It's very pretty. This is the time of year to find
immature chard (aka: baby). Remember, you eat with your eyes too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 13:46:16 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Looks good. I chard edible that way. I like soup but can't say the same
> about chard.

I disliked chard from childhood. I loved beet greens, so grandpa
thought I'd like red chard. Well, it didn't taste like beet greens
and it was mature chard, so it was a little bitter too. Then I
discovered baby and immature chard. That's a different ballgame
entirely! I bet you'll love it, but try not to overcook. It cooks as
fast as young spinach.

Soups Jen P. General Cooking 8 27-11-2009 11:14 PM
I tried the new V8 Soups Anthony Ferrante[_2_] General Cooking 19 22-10-2008 05:00 AM
Soups On!!!! Christine Dabney General Cooking 86 15-10-2008 02:58 AM
Soups on hahabogus General Cooking 1 23-03-2008 05:22 PM
Can soups without MSG? Richard Miller Vegan 3 19-01-2004 09:24 AM