Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do you put eggs in your lasagna?

I used to make lasagna all the time. When my daughter was young, she loved
helping me wash all the veggies and assembling the lasagna. The only thing
she didn't like? Eating the lasagna. So I quit making it.

Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has discovered
frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But it contains
eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

Now when I used to make lasagna, it didn't come out the same way twice. I
didn't follow an exact recipe. I usually used ricotta cheese but
occasionally I would use cottage cheese instead if that is what I had in the
house. I have seen online that you can also use a mix of the two. To this,
I would always add an egg and some grated Italian cheese. Might be
mozzarella, Parmesan, Romano, Asiago, whatever I had in the house. Usually
a mix of things. I would also usually add some chopped spinach, but if I
had no spinach, I would add lots of parsley.

I found it best to cook the noodles first. I would put down a layer of
sauce. I usually made my own, tomato with added peppers, onions and maybe
mushrooms, maybe a bit of carrot, but not chunky. I would use my immersion
blender because I found that some kids wouldn't eat chunks of veggies.
Anyway... I would then put down a layer of the pasta, then some of the
cheese mixture. Then a layer of sliced sautéed zucchini (to help lower the
carb count and up the veggie count). Then more sauce, more cheese mix, more
pasta then more sauce. I would bake it through and just before it was done
I would add more grated cheese and leave it in the oven until melted.

I have learned from making my meatloaf with veggies (about 1/2 meat and 1/2
veggies) that it is best to sauté all the veggies before using them. This
allows most of the liquid to seep out and it concentrates the flavors. Much
better end result. So if I do make it again, I will for sure sauté the
spinach before adding it to the cheese.

Anyway... I am concerned about making this without the egg. I have seen a
discussion online and the results were very mixed. Some say they never add
egg. But some were not talking about a cheese and vegetable type. They
were talking about one with ground beef and béchamel sauce. Some did make
the cheese kind and said they never added egg and it worked. Others said
they never used ricotta or cottage cheese and only grated cheese. I could
see this working too, although the end result wouldn't be the same.

So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna with no
eggs? I have been buying the gluten free lasagna noodles but using them
broken in chunks for chicken and noodles.

I would LOVE to be able to make and eat lasagna again. My only other
problem is the amount that it makes. At one point I had a huge lasagna pan.
I will have to look. Am not sure I still have it. No matter what I do, I
wind up with soooo much of it! I have made this for my husband's extended
family (Italian, lots of people there for dinner) and although they loved
it, there was still enough for a second day. Yes, I know it freezes, but I
never seem to have room in my freezer for leftovers.

I did buy some smaller casserole dishes for us to use while my husband is
away. Perhaps what I should do is start by pulling out a set amount of
noodles, then cooking and only using those? Using the whole box would for
sure be overkill. Unless perhaps my husband is home. He has no problems
eating leftovers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

To answer the subject line- yes, I put eggs in my lasagne. The only
vegetables in mine are the parsley in the cheese mixture, and whatever
is in the tomato sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
Yes, I know it freezes, but I
> never seem to have room in my freezer for leftovers.

Perhaps you could freeze just the leftover sauce. That would take up much
less space.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

> To answer the subject line- yes, I put eggs in my lasagne. The only
> vegetables in mine are the parsley in the cheese mixture, and whatever is
> in the tomato sauce.

Okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Yes, I know it freezes, but I
>> never seem to have room in my freezer for leftovers.

> Perhaps you could freeze just the leftover sauce. That would take up much
> less space.

I don't have just too much sauce. I just have too much of everything. And
I can guarantee you if I were to freeze sauce, it would never get used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
> discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But
> it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard of
it before, never thought it would have a place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 05:58:20 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
>> discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But
>> it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

>You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard of
>it before, never thought it would have a place.

Goomba and I do. I mix a couple into the ricotta/parm cheese
layer. I think it holds the flavor & layer together and makes it
richer.

But obviously there are lots of ways to just leave them out. It's
lasagna-- there are no rules.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 05:58:20 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
>

>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

But >>> it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

>>You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard
>>of
>>it before, never thought it would have a place.

> Goomba and I do. I mix a couple into the ricotta/parm cheese> layer.
> I think it holds the flavor & layer together and makes it
> richer.
>
> But obviously there are lots of ways to just leave them out. It's>
> lasagna-- there are no rules.

Or at least there are not so many rules as it would seem here. Eggs might
be only in fresh pasta, too. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of
distinctly different lasagne, most of which don't have eggs other than in
possibly the pasta. My two favorites, artichoke and asparagus lasagne,
don't.

I would just let her eat the frozen junk once a month. I feel sure that it
could take years to copy it sans egg and still not please the princess.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 4:58*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
> > Fast forward several years. *Now we have food allergies. *She has
> > discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. *She loves it. *But
> > it contains eggs. *And I'm allergic to eggs.

> You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. *Never heard of
> it before, never thought it would have a place.

Never heard of that either. People put strange things into
casseroles.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 05:58:20 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

>> You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard of
>> it before, never thought it would have a place.

> Goomba and I do. I mix a couple into the ricotta/parm cheese
> layer. I think it holds the flavor & layer together and makes it
> richer.
>
> But obviously there are lots of ways to just leave them out. It's
> lasagna-- there are no rules.
>
> Jim

FYI-I also add a bit of nutmeg to the cheese filling too.

My filling contains ricotta, Parmesan cheese, shredded mozzarella,eggs,
lots of chopped parsley and the nutmeg.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> It's lasagna-- there are no rules.

Thank God everyone can have his own opinion, and my one vastly differs from
yours. If you really want something that really has no rules call it "flat
noodles and stuff" and there you are.
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message >

<cutting to the chase>
> So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna with
> no eggs?

No. I mix an egg in with the ricotta, as it seems most cooks do.

But I had an aunt who put sliced hard-cooked eggs in her lasagna. How's that
for nasty?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
>> discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But
>> it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

> You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard
> of it before, never thought it would have a place.

Really? I thought they were supposed to hold the cheese together?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
On Mar 10, 4:58 am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
> > Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
> > discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But
> > it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

> You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard
> of
> it before, never thought it would have a place.

Never heard of that either. People put strange things into
casseroles.

---
If you read the recipe on the box of pasta, I'll bet it says to use egg.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message >
>
> <cutting to the chase>
>> So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna with
>> no eggs?

> No. I mix an egg in with the ricotta, as it seems most cooks do.
>
> But I had an aunt who put sliced hard-cooked eggs in her lasagna. How's
> that for nasty?

That sounds like something my mom would do. Thankfully she never made
lasagna.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 23:18:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I did buy some smaller casserole dishes for us to use while my husband is
> away. Perhaps what I should do is start by pulling out a set amount of
> noodles, then cooking and only using those?

If you're not going to eat or freeze the leftover lasagna, that's the
logical way to approach it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 00:44:53 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Goomba" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >

> > To answer the subject line- yes, I put eggs in my lasagne. The only
> > vegetables in mine are the parsley in the cheese mixture, and whatever is
> > in the tomato sauce.

> Okay.

I put an egg in the ricotta cheese mixture too, but there's no reason
why you couldn't leave it out. Not sure why you didn't just do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:39:48 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> My two favorites, artichoke and asparagus lasagne, don't.

Yum! I've never thought about putting either one of those in a
lasagne.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2011 7:14 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 05:58:20 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Julie > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
>>> discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But
>>> it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

>> You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard of
>> it before, never thought it would have a place.

> Goomba and I do. I mix a couple into the ricotta/parm cheese
> layer. I think it holds the flavor& layer together and makes it
> richer.
>
> But obviously there are lots of ways to just leave them out. It's
> lasagna-- there are no rules.
>
> Jim

I add an egg to the ricotta. It thins out the ricotta a bit and
makes spreading it over the noodles easier and binds the filling.
Ricotta can be kind of dry.

I don't see why you couldn't just leave it out or use something else
which would provide the same effect. I don't personally use cottage
cheese in lasagna, but perhaps the combination of both ricotta and
cottage cheese would work.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio Giusi" >
> wrote:
>
>> My two favorites, artichoke and asparagus lasagne, don't.

> Yum! I've never thought about putting either one of those in a> lasagne.

They are the stars, no meat, no tomato, no ricotta. No egg unless you make
or buy fresh egg lasagne.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Bryan" > wrote in message
> On Mar 10, 4:58 am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > > Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
> > > discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But
> > > it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

> > You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard
> > of
> > it before, never thought it would have a place.

> Never heard of that either. People put strange things into
> casseroles.
>
> ---
> If you read the recipe on the box of pasta, I'll bet it says to use egg.

I went to this site:

http://www.barillaus.com/Pages/Home.aspx

I picked three of the lasagna recipes to read, out of 31. Two had eggs
in them.

After our huge stuffed shell thread, I bought some. I looked at two
recipes, one by Giada and the one on the back of the box. Both have egg.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Felice" > wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message >
>
> <cutting to the chase>
> > So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna with
> > no eggs?

> No. I mix an egg in with the ricotta, as it seems most cooks do.

I suspect I do it about half the time. Maybe when I remember?

> But I had an aunt who put sliced hard-cooked eggs in her lasagna. How's that
> for nasty?

Sounds good, depending on the other ingredients.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2011 9:57 AM, Dan Abel wrote:
> In >,
> "Julie > wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message

>>> You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard
>>> of
>>> it before, never thought it would have a place.

>> Never heard of that either. People put strange things into
>> casseroles.
>>
>> ---
>> If you read the recipe on the box of pasta, I'll bet it says to use egg.

> I went to this site:
>
> http://www.barillaus.com/Pages/Home.aspx
>
> I picked three of the lasagna recipes to read, out of 31. Two had eggs
> in them.
>
> After our huge stuffed shell thread, I bought some. I looked at two
> recipes, one by Giada and the one on the back of the box. Both have egg.

I have been making lasagna for years without a recipe. I learned from
Sicilian neighbors. I always use an egg in the cheese mixture. I suppose
it would not matter if there was no egg, I just never gave it any thought.

You might consider draining the ricotta cheese in a cheesecloth-lined
strainer over night. I do this for canoli. It makes the cheese a little
drier and it holds together better.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I put an egg in the ricotta cheese mixture too, but there's no reason
> why you couldn't leave it out. Not sure why you didn't just do it.

Once in a while I make canneloni and use eggs with ricotta and cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 08:15:25 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 05:58:20 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

>>> You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard of
>>> it before, never thought it would have a place.

>> Goomba and I do. I mix a couple into the ricotta/parm cheese
>> layer. I think it holds the flavor & layer together and makes it
>> richer.
>>
>> But obviously there are lots of ways to just leave them out. It's
>> lasagna-- there are no rules.
>>
>> Jim

>FYI-I also add a bit of nutmeg to the cheese filling too.
>
>My filling contains ricotta, Parmesan cheese, shredded mozzarella,eggs,
>lots of chopped parsley and the nutmeg.

Scandinavian lasagna... what, no baccala? Actually baccala is
Norwegian... there is no cod in the Med... the cod was salted and
dried to preserve it as that was the only way to transport it over
land... was no refrigeration then. The Eyetalins adopted baccala as a
national food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 07:29:25 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Felice" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message >
>>
>> <cutting to the chase>
>>> So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna with
>>> no eggs?

>> No. I mix an egg in with the ricotta, as it seems most cooks do.
>>
>> But I had an aunt who put sliced hard-cooked eggs in her lasagna. How's
>> that for nasty?

>That sounds like something my mom would do. Thankfully she never made
>lasagna.

Actually quartered hard cooked eggs in white sauce (sometimes the eggs
are encased in meat and deep fried) is an authentic dish; scotch eggs
on toast. The scandinavian version uses egg noodles instead of toast.
Other than the name I don't think there is anything Eyetalian about
lasagna.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 07:27:36 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
>>> discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But
>>> it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

>> You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard
>> of it before, never thought it would have a place.

>Really? I thought they were supposed to hold the cheese together?

Does the same with blintzes. But I don't like the egg/cheese mixture
with a tomato sauce lasagna.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 4:58*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
> > Fast forward several years. *Now we have food allergies. *She has
> > discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. *She loves it. *But
> > it contains eggs. *And I'm allergic to eggs.

> You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. *Never heard of
> it before, never thought it would have a place.

I mix a beaten egg (or two, can't remember) in the ricotta layer for
my lasagne. That's the way I've always made it.

Julie, can you eat the egg substitutes? I am only asking because I
don't know what they are made of.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 8:32*am, "Felice" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message >
>
> <cutting to the chase>
>
> > So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna with
> > no eggs?

> No. I mix an egg in with the ricotta, as it seems most cooks do.
>
> But I had an aunt who put sliced hard-cooked eggs in her lasagna. How's that
> for nasty?

Wow! That's a new twist. That's about as bad as the people that put
a hard-cooked egg in the middle of a meatloaf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:51:09 +0100, "Giusi" > wrote:

>> > Yum! I've never thought about putting either one of those in a>
>> > lasagne.

>> They are the stars, no meat, no tomato, no ricotta. No egg unless you
>> make
>> or buy fresh egg lasagne.
>>

> There must be some sort of a sauce... béchamel? I can't imagine plain
> noodles and vegetables.

Of course, bechamel in fact.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Bryan" > wrote in message

>> > You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never
>> > heard
>> > of
>> > it before, never thought it would have a place.

>> Never heard of that either. People put strange things into
>> casseroles.
>>
>> ---
>> If you read the recipe on the box of pasta, I'll bet it says to use egg.

> I went to this site:
>
> http://www.barillaus.com/Pages/Home.aspx
>
> I picked three of the lasagna recipes to read, out of 31. Two had eggs
> in them.
>
> After our huge stuffed shell thread, I bought some. I looked at two
> recipes, one by Giada and the one on the back of the box. Both have egg.

That's why I haven't made the cheese stuffed shells either. But if it works
in the lasagna with no eggs, maybe it will work with the shells?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message

> On 3/10/2011 7:14 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 05:58:20 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
>> > wrote:

>>> You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never
>>> heard of
>>> it before, never thought it would have a place.

>> Goomba and I do. I mix a couple into the ricotta/parm cheese
>> layer. I think it holds the flavor& layer together and makes it
>> richer.
>>
>> But obviously there are lots of ways to just leave them out. It's
>> lasagna-- there are no rules.
>>
>> Jim

> I add an egg to the ricotta. It thins out the ricotta a bit and makes
> spreading it over the noodles easier and binds the filling. Ricotta can be
> kind of dry.
>
> I don't see why you couldn't just leave it out or use something else which
> would provide the same effect. I don't personally use cottage cheese in
> lasagna, but perhaps the combination of both ricotta and cottage cheese
> would work.

Thanks! I have egg replacer but not sure it would work in this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On Mar 10, 4:58 am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
> > Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
> > discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But
> > it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

> You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never heard
> of
> it before, never thought it would have a place.

I mix a beaten egg (or two, can't remember) in the ricotta layer for
my lasagne. That's the way I've always made it.

Julie, can you eat the egg substitutes? I am only asking because I
don't know what they are made of.

---
If you mean stuff like Egg Beaters, they are made with eggs. They are just
the whites with some yellow food coloring. So, no. Can't have those.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"projectile vomit chick" > wrote in message
On Mar 10, 8:32 am, "Felice" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message >
>
> <cutting to the chase>
>
> > So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna with
> > no eggs?

> No. I mix an egg in with the ricotta, as it seems most cooks do.
>
> But I had an aunt who put sliced hard-cooked eggs in her lasagna. How's
> that
> for nasty?

Wow! That's a new twist. That's about as bad as the people that put
a hard-cooked egg in the middle of a meatloaf.

---
Eeeeeeeew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2011 12:49 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> I mix a beaten egg (or two, can't remember) in the ricotta layer for
> my lasagne. That's the way I've always made it.

In the cheese mixture, I put a beaten egg or two. I add salt and
pepper, fresh basil & parsley, parmesan cheese and mozzarella.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

There's nothing in our freezer more welcome than half a pan of lasagna would
be. Why don't you just toss out some stuff from the freezer? I'd probably
have to hold onto the pecans but other than that? Lasagna would win every
time. Polly

"sf" <> wrote > On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 23:18:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I did buy some smaller casserole dishes for us to use while my husband is
>> away. Perhaps what I should do is start by pulling out a set amount of
>> noodles, then cooking and only using those?

> If you're not going to eat or freeze the leftover lasagna, that's the
> logical way to approach it.

..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 3/10/2011 12:49 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> I mix a beaten egg (or two, can't remember) in the ricotta layer for
>> my lasagne. That's the way I've always made it.

> In the cheese mixture, I put a beaten egg or two. I add salt and pepper,
> fresh basil & parsley, parmesan cheese and mozzarella.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> There's nothing in our freezer more welcome than half a pan of lasagna
> would be. Why don't you just toss out some stuff from the freezer? I'd
> probably have to hold onto the pecans but other than that? Lasagna would
> win every time. Polly

Why would I toss it out? What is in there gets eaten. Lasagna would not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh. Beggin' your pardon, Julie. I thought everybody had things in their
freezer that expired long ago. I have finally tossed the starched clothes I
sprinkled to iron back in '47 and the Science Fair exhibit that didn't quite
work. Polly

"Julie Bove" <> wrote>

> "Polly Esther" <> wrote >> There's nothing in our freezer more welcome
> than half a pan of lasagna would be. Why don't you just toss out some
> stuff from the freezer? I'd
>> probably have to hold onto the pecans but other than that? Lasagna would
>> win every time. Polly

> Why would I toss it out? What is in there gets eaten. Lasagna would not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote

> Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
> discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But
> it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

Julie, I don't make it often but I've never added eggs. I've done the
cheese sort and the beefy/cheesy/tomato sort. I didn't even know it was
traditional until this thread.

What I am used to is adding lots of various veggies, especially to the no
tomato/beef sorts. A basic white sauce of milk and toasted flour, spices,
cottage cheese, then 2 other cheeses either smallish cubed or slivered (a
yellow and a wite normally), and often tofu ('water fry' in a pan to firmly
golden then cut and add).

Favored veggies (no particular order, depends on what's handy): sauteed
onions, green beans, slivers of garlic, asparagus (cheap canned works fine
here but remove any woody stems), chopped sauteed brussel sprouts, diced
broccoli stems, black olives, chopped fresh spinach, chopped bok choy, leek
greens, mushrooms, okra, asian eggplant. I'm sure others have been added
but those come automatically to mind. Oh! Japan, daikon was added. You
could also add water chestnuts for the same effect but a woody flavor (I
think Daikon would be better here).

> I did buy some smaller casserole dishes for us to use while my husband is
> away. Perhaps what I should do is start by pulling out a set amount of
> noodles, then cooking and only using those?

Experiment! Cooking isn't a set idea with no variation. Just because you
were used to seeing an egg added, doesn't mean all of us are. Wile most
seem to indicate it, I see several of us never heard of using one.

I suspect the egg relates to using ricotta. With cottage cheese, you won't
have that crumble effect that needs to be balanced with an egg binder.