Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do you put eggs in your lasagna?

Julie Bove wrote:

> So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna with no
> eggs? I have been buying the gluten free lasagna noodles but using them
> broken in chunks for chicken and noodles.

Why "gluten free lasagna noodles" ?

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:
> Oh. Beggin' your pardon, Julie. I thought everybody had things in
> their freezer that expired long ago. I have finally tossed the starched
> clothes I sprinkled to iron back in '47 and the Science Fair exhibit
> that didn't quite work. Polly

My freezer has a small flock of frozen chickens in the bottom. I
haven't bought a whole chicken in years; I just go dig one out every
once in a while and thaw it. (they must be breeding in there)

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> [...]
>> and maybe mushrooms, maybe a bit of carrot, but not chunky. I would
>> use my immersion blender because I found that some kids wouldn't eat
>> chunks of veggies. Anyway... I would then put down a layer of the
>> pasta, then some of the cheese mixture. Then a layer of sliced saut
>> ed zucchini (to help lower the carb count and up the veggie count).
>> Then more sauce, more cheese mix, more pasta then more sauce. I
>> would bake it through and just before it was done I would add more
>> grated cheese and leave it in the oven until melted.
>>
>> I have learned from making my meatloaf with veggies (about 1/2 meat
>> and 1/2 veggies) that it is best to saut all the veggies before
>> using them. This allows most of the liquid to seep out and it
>> concentrates the flavors. Much better end result. So if I do make it
>> again, I will for sure saut the spinach before adding it to the
>> cheese.
>>
>> Anyway... I am concerned about making this without the egg. I have
>> seen a discussion online and the results were very mixed. Some say
>> they never add egg. But some were not talking about a cheese and
>> vegetable type. They
>> were talking about one with ground beef and b chamel sauce. Some did
>> make the cheese kind and said they never added egg and it worked.
>> Others said they never used ricotta or cottage cheese and only
>> grated cheese. I could see this working too, although the end result
>> wouldn't be the same.
>>
>> So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna
>> with no eggs? I have been buying the gluten free lasagna noodles but
>> using them broken in chunks for chicken and noodles.
>>
>> I would LOVE to be able to make and eat lasagna again. My only other
>> problem is the amount that it makes. At one point I had a huge
>> lasagna pan. I will have to look. Am not sure I still have it. No
>> matter what I do, I wind up with soooo much of it! I have made this
>> for my husband's extended family (Italian, lots of people there for
>> dinner) and although they loved it, there was still enough for a
>> second day. Yes, I know it freezes, but I never seem to have room in
>> my freezer for leftovers.
>>
>> I did buy some smaller casserole dishes for us to use while my
>> husband is away. Perhaps what I should do is start by pulling out a
>> set amount of noodles, then cooking and only using those? Using the
>> whole box would for sure be overkill. Unless perhaps my husband is
>> home. He has no problems eating leftovers.

> Never have I put in an egg in any form.
>
> As for size, build a couple of small ones in those 9 by 3 baking
> dishes, or build some individuals in boats.
>
> I count out the noodles I need, and do a couple of extras for
> breakage. If I have an extra noodle or two, I build an individual.
> Waste not.....
>
> No one should have a problem eating leftovers. If someone disdains
> leftovers, I call it a form of snob-ism. It used to be considered a

Thanks! The problem with the leftover lasagna is that it has dairy in it.
Daughter and I outgrew dairy allergies so we can only have dairy twice a
week on subsequent days. So I try not to make leftover things with dairy
unless it is just enough for one other meal for us.

The other problem is that we are often not home to eat leftovers. I might
put stuff in the fridge with the intention of eating it later and then it
never gets eaten because something will come up. Then we are not home at
dinner time.

I do sometimes plan to have leftovers because daughter does take meals with
her to the dance studio. But I have to plan out just enough for her. Or
for the both of us. But I'd much rather eat something else when I am home
alone. Something that she can't or won't eat. Like peas. She is allergic
to them but loves them. So I will not eat them around her. But I love them
too. So sometimes I will eat them when she isn't here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
>>> discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it.
>>> But it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

>> You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never
>> heard of it before, never thought it would have a place.

> I add eggs to the ricotta cheese (1 egg per pound.) I blend it in a
> food processor for a couple of minutes until it is *smooth*. But I
> bet it would work OK without the eggs too.
>
> I think Julie also asked about vegetables (and the tomatoes and
> onions don't count.) I sometimes put frozen spinach in mine --
> thawed and squeezed.

That's how I always did my spinach. But... I discovered when putting
spinach in meatloaf, it works a lot better to cook it first to get as much
of the liquid out as I can. Gives a much more concentrated flavor too. I
tend to use fresh in my meatloaf. Not sure why I use the frozen for pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna
>> with no eggs? I have been buying the gluten free lasagna noodles
>> but using them broken in chunks for chicken and noodles.

> Why "gluten free lasagna noodles" ?

Daughter is allergic to wheat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Polly Esther wrote:
>> Oh. Beggin' your pardon, Julie. I thought everybody had things in
>> their freezer that expired long ago. I have finally tossed the
>> starched clothes I sprinkled to iron back in '47 and the Science
>> Fair exhibit that didn't quite work. Polly
>>

> My freezer has a small flock of frozen chickens in the bottom. I
> haven't bought a whole chicken in years; I just go dig one out every
> once in a while and thaw it. (they must be breeding in there)

Heh. That's what happened to me with hamburger patties. I kept buying
these boxes of precooked ones at Costco. 12 patties to a box. The boxes
are a bit large for my side by side. So I put them in quart size zippered
bags, three to a bag. 2 or 3 are usually eaten at a time so there are some
lone patties in there. They got all over the freezer. Every shelf had them
on there. When I cleaned it out I gathered them all up and there were
enough patties to fill three boxes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Polly Esther wrote:
>> Oh. Beggin' your pardon, Julie. I thought everybody had things in their
>> freezer that expired long ago. I have finally tossed the starched
>> clothes I sprinkled to iron back in '47 and the Science Fair exhibit that
>> didn't quite work. Polly
>>

> My freezer has a small flock of frozen chickens in the bottom. I haven't
> bought a whole chicken in years; I just go dig one out every once in a
> while and thaw it. (they must be breeding in there)

lol please send me a couple...

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/03/2011 11:56 PM, zxcvbob wrote:

> My freezer has a small flock of frozen chickens in the bottom. I haven't
> bought a whole chicken in years; I just go dig one out every once in a
> while and thaw it. (they must be breeding in there)

I was wondering if they reproduce in the freezer. I defrosted and
cleaned my freezer two weeks ago and was surprised to find three whole
chickens in there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna
>>> with no eggs? I have been buying the gluten free lasagna noodles
>>> but using them broken in chunks for chicken and noodles.

>> Why "gluten free lasagna noodles" ?

> Daughter is allergic to wheat.

Goodness! That must be tough, remembering the allergies du jour.

Have you tried using corn tortillas instead of lasagna noodles? Cut
them in half and they layer pretty well. I don't know how they would
taste in an otherwise-traditional lasagna.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:54:51 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

> Have you tried using corn tortillas instead of lasagna noodles? Cut
> them in half and they layer pretty well. I don't know how they would
> taste in an otherwise-traditional lasagna.

I see from a google that wheat free lasagna noodles exist; but I
haven't seen them, so I'd forget lasagna and move on to other layered
casserole types, like chicken enchiladas. Yum! I'm trying to decide
which of the two (lasagna or layered enchilada) I want to bring down
to DD's tomorrow.

As an alternative, eggplant can be used instead of lasagna noodles for
a wheat free lasagna.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5608523_use-...a-noodles.html
or make Moussaka. Of course Julie will need to substitute a non-wheat
flour for wheat to make the béchamel sauce.
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moussaka/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I see from a google that wheat free lasagna noodles exist

I have had both rice and corn noodles in the lasagna shape.

> As an alternative, eggplant can be used instead of lasagna noodles for
> a wheat free lasagna.

Layered veggies work great. Maybe call it a strata rather than a
lasagna. I like slices of zuke even better than layers of eggplant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:33:28 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> I like slices of zuke even better than layers of eggplant.

I think Julie has already mentioned that she uses one layer of
zucchini in her lasagna, so it wouldn't be a stretch for her to use
all zucchini.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> Why "gluten free lasagna noodles" ?

>> Daughter is allergic to wheat.

> Goodness! That must be tough, remembering the allergies du jour.
>
> Have you tried using corn tortillas instead of lasagna noodles? Cut them
> in half and they layer pretty well. I don't know how they would taste in
> an otherwise-traditional lasagna.

I have made an enchilada casserole like that. They don't hold up well. And
if done in a crockpot you can only cook until heated through. Otherwise
they dissolve. I don't think they would be good in a lasagna at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:54:51 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> Have you tried using corn tortillas instead of lasagna noodles? Cut
>> them in half and they layer pretty well. I don't know how they would
>> taste in an otherwise-traditional lasagna.

> I see from a google that wheat free lasagna noodles exist; but I
> haven't seen them, so I'd forget lasagna and move on to other layered
> casserole types, like chicken enchiladas. Yum! I'm trying to decide
> which of the two (lasagna or layered enchilada) I want to bring down
> to DD's tomorrow.
>
> As an alternative, eggplant can be used instead of lasagna noodles for
> a wheat free lasagna.
> http://www.ehow.com/how_5608523_use-...a-noodles.html
> or make Moussaka. Of course Julie will need to substitute a non-wheat
> flour for wheat to make the béchamel sauce.
> http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moussaka/

I can get GF noodles just around the corner at the health food store. And
most of the grocery stores here sell them as well. If you haven't seen
them, you probably haven't looked for them! These days most stores have a
GF section. But sometimes they are mixed in with the regular foods. We
also have a GF/low carb store here. It's expensive because of the building
it is in and they don't have a parking lot. So I don't go there often.

We don't much like eggplant. I would never put it in lasagna for that
reason. I don't like bechamel sauce at all either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>>
>> I see from a google that wheat free lasagna noodles exist

> I have had both rice and corn noodles in the lasagna shape.
>
>> As an alternative, eggplant can be used instead of lasagna noodles for
>> a wheat free lasagna.

> Layered veggies work great. Maybe call it a strata rather than a
> lasagna. I like slices of zuke even better than layers of eggplant.

I put zucchini in the middle of mine. But I do use two layers of the pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:33:28 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> > wrote:
>
>> I like slices of zuke even better than layers of eggplant.

> I think Julie has already mentioned that she uses one layer of
> zucchini in her lasagna, so it wouldn't be a stretch for her to use
> all zucchini.

I don't think we would like that at all. I can handle a little zucchini
mixed in something. But I don't like it enough to use a lot of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Daughter is allergic to wheat.

>> Goodness! That must be tough, remembering the allergies du jour.
>>
>> Have you tried using corn tortillas instead of lasagna noodles? Cut them
>> in half and they layer pretty well. I don't know how they would taste in
>> an otherwise-traditional lasagna.

> I have made an enchilada casserole like that. They don't hold up well. And
> if done in a crockpot you can only cook until heated through. Otherwise
> they dissolve. I don't think they would be good in a lasagna at all.

Crockpot?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/12/2011 2:30 PM, sf wrote:
>> Thanks Janet, I will give nutmeg a try. I believe Goomba also mentioned
>> that. I bought fresh nutmeg when I was traveling, but for some reason, I
>> do not use it very often. I do like it, what I dislike is when people
>> use too much cloves.

> Too much cloves in what?

When I said "too much cloves", I meant in any recipe. I probably should
have left that out. I like cloves, but not when it overwhelms the flavor
of a dish.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Goodness! That must be tough, remembering the allergies du jour.
>>>
>>> Have you tried using corn tortillas instead of lasagna noodles? Cut
>>> them in half and they layer pretty well. I don't know how they would
>>> taste in an otherwise-traditional lasagna.

>> I have made an enchilada casserole like that. They don't hold up well.
>> And if done in a crockpot you can only cook until heated through.
>> Otherwise they dissolve. I don't think they would be good in a lasagna
>> at all.

> Crockpot?

You know... Slow cooker!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 23:18:15 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

<snip>

No.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:23:41 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 23:18:15 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> No.

You have to admit it would make a simple survey. Yes, No, Sometimes,
I never make lasagna... and of course the ever-present MCINL.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:38:16 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:23:41 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 23:18:15 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> No.

> You have to admit it would make a simple survey. Yes, No, Sometimes,
> I never make lasagna... and of course the ever-present MCINL.

In the last 4 years or so, I've yet to have composed/written (or have had
a survey written/composed and sent in by other r.f.c-ers) a 'simple
survey'. But we can live in hope. <grin>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy