Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do you put eggs in your lasagna?

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Untrimmed below for a reason:
>
> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 14:20:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> I mix a beaten egg (or two, can't remember) in the ricotta layer for
>>> my lasagne. That's the way I've always made it.
>>>
>>> Julie, can you eat the egg substitutes? I am only asking because I
>>> don't know what they are made of.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> If you mean stuff like Egg Beaters, they are made with eggs. They are
>>> just
>>> the whites with some yellow food coloring. So, no. Can't have those.
>>>

>> Please use a different news reader or insert attribution markers
>> manually. The number of people who are using a broken news reader is
>> abominable.

> SF, it's the googlegroups person she's replying to. Changing Julie's
> newsreader isnt going to fix that. More and more folks are just 'giving
> up' on adding back in what should be automatic. At least she separates it
> which helps. many don't even bother with that.

Thanks! I didn't realize it was the google groups that were causing the
problem. I've seen it happen but didn't know why.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2011 8:20 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 17:05:13 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> It's not *my* newsreader that is broken. Most people's posts show
>> up correctly. Some do not.

> Then I apologize. The more Windows Live is used, the more unreadable
> threads in rfc become. I am so annoyed by this, I'm thinking about
> introducing certain posters (whom I like otherwise) to the kill file
> until they find another news reader.

It sure is adding to the mis-attributed posts, that's for sure.
Sometimes it's pretty funny. "I didn't say that". "I didn't say you
said that". "Well, why does it look like I did?".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message

> > Please use a different news reader or insert attribution markers
> > manually. The number of people who are using a broken news reader is
> > abominable.

> It's not *my* newsreader that is broken. Most people's posts show up
> correctly. Some do not. And I'm not about to go into each of those and put
> the greater than signs on every line. This is why I put the three dashes.

Well, that's arguable. Every other news client can handle GoogleGropes
posts correctly, other than yours and its descendants.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> Untrimmed below for a reason:
>
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > Please use a different news reader or insert attribution markers
> > manually. The number of people who are using a broken news reader is
> > abominable.

> SF, it's the googlegroups person she's replying to. Changing Julie's
> newsreader isnt going to fix that. More and more folks are just 'giving up'
> on adding back in what should be automatic. At least she separates it which
> helps. many don't even bother with that.

There is actually a fix for this for Julie's news client. It is called
Quotefix.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>> SF, it's the googlegroups person she's replying to. Changing Julie's
>> newsreader isnt going to fix that. More and more folks are just 'giving
>> up'
>> on adding back in what should be automatic. At least she separates it
>> which
>> helps. many don't even bother with that.

> There is actually a fix for this for Julie's news client. It is called
> Quotefix.

Not according to the docs for the quotefix program, at least, doesnt look
like it will touch googlegroups messes. If it does, the poor documentation
doesnt lead to seeing that.

Besides, the issue isnt Julie's OE client but the fact that all of us just
have to adapt around the poor handling of googlegroups and apparently Win
Live. It is irritating but for the interesting posts, I correct them for
the other person on reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:48:19 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> At least she separates it which helps. many don't even bother with that.

I know, but my patience has reached an end and I'm grouchy about that
subject. Die, Windows Live, DIE!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:17:30 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

> There is actually a fix for this for Julie's news client. It is called
> Quotefix.

NO, Quotefix doesn't work with Windows Live. I've read that more than
once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Die, Windows Live, DIE!

Yeah, I gave up on Windows Live in my Win7 computer. The database crashed
again and again, and when it completely deleted my archives after one crash,
I just uninstalled it.

Now I use Outlook for mail and Agent for news on that box, but I have to say
that I don't like Agent *nearly* as well as Outlook Express. I wish
Microsoft had kept OE with Win7.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>> > There is actually a fix for this for Julie's news client. It is called
>> > Quotefix.

>> Not according to the docs for the quotefix program, at least, doesnt look
>> like it will touch googlegroups messes. If it does, the poor
>> documentation
>> doesnt lead to seeing that.

>> Besides, the issue isnt Julie's OE client but the fact that all of us
>> just
>> have to adapt around the poor handling of googlegroups and apparently Win
>> Live. It is irritating but for the interesting posts, I correct them for
>> the other person on reply.

> As a Mac user, I'm out of my element here, but:

> http://www.diy-forum.net/outlook-exp...x-t168669.html

Now read the docs from it. I did and posted my reply based on them. I
assure you, I googled and read them before which was the basis of my reply,
not that you use a Mac reader.

> "> So - what is it about google groups posts that causes O.E. to mess up
>> the quotes?

> I did load OE-Quotefix, and it solved that problem with google group
> posts.
> It was about time I did something about that."

Can you tell me where in the OE addon Quotefix for MS clients, it fixed Mac
issues?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote
Dan Abel wrote:

>> There is actually a fix for this for Julie's news client. It is called
>> Quotefix.

> NO, Quotefix doesn't work with Windows Live. I've read that more than
> once.

Julie is using OE not windows live. Below is you:

Julie is on OE. She's not your problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:17:30 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > There is actually a fix for this for Julie's news client. It is called
> > Quotefix.

> NO, Quotefix doesn't work with Windows Live. I've read that more than
> once.

YES, we have no bananas. Julie appears to be running OE from her
headers:

Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:17:30 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>> There is actually a fix for this for Julie's news client. It is
>> called Quotefix.

> NO, Quotefix doesn't work with Windows Live. I've read that more than
> once.

I don't use Windows Live.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:17:30 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>> There is actually a fix for this for Julie's news client. It is
>> called Quotefix.

> NO, Quotefix doesn't work with Windows Live. I've read that more than
> once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "sf" wrote
> Dan Abel wrote:
>
>>> There is actually a fix for this for Julie's news client. It is
>>> called Quotefix.

>> NO, Quotefix doesn't work with Windows Live. I've read that more
>> than once.

> Julie is using OE not windows live. Below is you:

> Julie is on OE. She's not your problem.

I have downloaded the quote fix. I don't know exactly what it is doing here
but the posts don't look the same to me now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:17:30 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>>
>>> There is actually a fix for this for Julie's news client. It is
>>> called Quotefix.

>> NO, Quotefix doesn't work with Windows Live. I've read that more
>> than once.

> YES, we have no bananas. Julie appears to be running OE from her
> headers:

Correctomudno. I have Quote Fix now. Do my replies look better?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:48:19 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> At least she separates it which helps. many don't even bother with
>> that.
>>

> I know, but my patience has reached an end and I'm grouchy about that
> subject. Die, Windows Live, DIE!

I don't HAVE Windows Live.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
I used to make lasagna all the time. When my daughter was young, she loved
helping me wash all the veggies and assembling the lasagna. The only thing
she didn't like? Eating the lasagna. So I quit making it.

Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has discovered
frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it. But it contains
eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

Now when I used to make lasagna, it didn't come out the same way twice. I
didn't follow an exact recipe. I usually used ricotta cheese but
occasionally I would use cottage cheese instead if that is what I had in the
house. I have seen online that you can also use a mix of the two. To this,
I would always add an egg and some grated Italian cheese. Might be
mozzarella, Parmesan, Romano, Asiago, whatever I had in the house. Usually
a mix of things. I would also usually add some chopped spinach, but if I
had no spinach, I would add lots of parsley.

I found it best to cook the noodles first. I would put down a layer of
sauce. I usually made my own, tomato with added peppers, onions and maybe
mushrooms, maybe a bit of carrot, but not chunky. I would use my immersion
blender because I found that some kids wouldn't eat chunks of veggies.
Anyway... I would then put down a layer of the pasta, then some of the
cheese mixture. Then a layer of sliced sautéed zucchini (to help lower the
carb count and up the veggie count). Then more sauce, more cheese mix, more
pasta then more sauce. I would bake it through and just before it was done
I would add more grated cheese and leave it in the oven until melted.

I have learned from making my meatloaf with veggies (about 1/2 meat and 1/2
veggies) that it is best to sauté all the veggies before using them. This
allows most of the liquid to seep out and it concentrates the flavors. Much
better end result. So if I do make it again, I will for sure sauté the
spinach before adding it to the cheese.

Anyway... I am concerned about making this without the egg. I have seen a
discussion online and the results were very mixed. Some say they never add
egg. But some were not talking about a cheese and vegetable type. They
were talking about one with ground beef and béchamel sauce. Some did make
the cheese kind and said they never added egg and it worked. Others said
they never used ricotta or cottage cheese and only grated cheese. I could
see this working too, although the end result wouldn't be the same.

So have you successfully made a cheese or cheese and veggie lasagna with no
eggs? I have been buying the gluten free lasagna noodles but using them
broken in chunks for chicken and noodles.

I would LOVE to be able to make and eat lasagna again. My only other
problem is the amount that it makes. At one point I had a huge lasagna pan.
I will have to look. Am not sure I still have it. No matter what I do, I
wind up with soooo much of it! I have made this for my husband's extended
family (Italian, lots of people there for dinner) and although they loved
it, there was still enough for a second day. Yes, I know it freezes, but I
never seem to have room in my freezer for leftovers.

I did buy some smaller casserole dishes for us to use while my husband is
away. Perhaps what I should do is start by pulling out a set amount of
noodles, then cooking and only using those? Using the whole box would for
sure be overkill. Unless perhaps my husband is home. He has no problems
eating leftovers.
of course.. egss add taste to lasagna and makes your lasagna pretty.
some lasagna is dry without eggs,.
__________________
easy recipes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-12, Julie Bove > wrote:

> Correctomudno. I have Quote Fix now. Do my replies look better?

Pass a marine drill sergeant's inspection, they would.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Mar 2011 13:44:12 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-03-12, Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>> Correctomudno. I have Quote Fix now. Do my replies look better?

>Pass a marine drill sergeant's inspection, they would.

A Marine Drill 'sergeant' is a Drill *Instructor*, you louse infected
scrotum puke!<G>

Jim
[and yeah- Julie- much easier to read today]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-12, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> A Marine Drill 'sergeant' is a Drill *Instructor*, you louse infected
> scrotum puke!<G>

Whatta I know? I was in the USAF. We called 'em "Dad".

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2011 5:59 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> In the cheese mixture, I put a beaten egg or two. I add salt and pepper,
>> fresh basil & parsley, parmesan cheese and mozzarella.
>>
>> Becca

> Becca,
>
> Try a dash of freshly ground nutmeg in the cheese. Yum.

Thanks Janet, I will give nutmeg a try. I believe Goomba also mentioned
that. I bought fresh nutmeg when I was traveling, but for some reason, I
do not use it very often. I do like it, what I dislike is when people
use too much cloves.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2011 7:35 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
> You would be surprised, Bob. When our beloved kitty was ill with
> Addison's Disease, his tummy needed special care. One of the things
> his fine vets suggested was scraped apple. Just like Grandma used to
> spoon apple to a toddler. OTOH, the Yorkie thinks that lettuce and
> celery are not fit for dogs. Polly

My cat Phoebe loves pepper jack cheese. You just never know, with animals.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote

> Correctomudno. I have Quote Fix now. Do my replies look better?

Julie, there was nothing wrong with yours before. A few who didn't bother
to look up (or didnt know how) 'assumed' you had a different software or
that a fix for OE would 'fix' googlegroups messes.

It never was you to start with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote
>
> > Correctomudno. I have Quote Fix now. Do my replies look better?

> Julie, there was nothing wrong with yours before. A few who didn't bother
> to look up (or didnt know how) 'assumed' you had a different software or
> that a fix for OE would 'fix' googlegroups messes.
>
> It never was you to start with.

ObFood: The proof of the pudding will be when Julie responds to a
GoogleGroups post and it either fixes or doesn't fix the quote problem.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 10:53:17 -0600, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> Thanks Janet, I will give nutmeg a try. I believe Goomba also mentioned
> that. I bought fresh nutmeg when I was traveling, but for some reason, I
> do not use it very often. I do like it, what I dislike is when people
> use too much cloves.

Too much cloves in what?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 23:21:57 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Julie is on OE. She's not your problem.

I know that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:55:19 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:17:30 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
> >
> > > There is actually a fix for this for Julie's news client. It is called
> > > Quotefix.

> > NO, Quotefix doesn't work with Windows Live. I've read that more than
> > once.

> YES, we have no bananas. Julie appears to be running OE from her
> headers:

I'm complaining about the people who use Windows Live Mail and don't
bother to fix their quotes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:01:37 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> It never was you to start with.

And so she said immediately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 19:51:09 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> I don't like Agent *nearly* as well as Outlook Express.

If I ever have to update Agent, I'll be disabling it back to v2. I'd
like to have some of the newer features, such as ignore subthread...
but not enough to upgrade.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

>> A Marine Drill 'sergeant' is a Drill *Instructor*, you louse infected
>> scrotum puke!<G>

> Whatta I know? I was in the USAF. We called 'em "Dad".

I was in the Navy. We called them "daughters."

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default CHRIST! Are we still talking about Quotefix?

sf wrote:

>>> NO, Quotefix doesn't work with Windows Live. I've read that more than
>>> once.

>> YES, we have no bananas. Julie appears to be running OE from her
>> headers:

> I'm complaining about the people who use Windows Live Mail and don't
> bother to fix their quotes.

I'm not sure how many people here *do* use Windows Live Mail. It can't be
all that many; the program falls into the "epic suck" category for me.

At any rate, his thread has degenerated to the point where it reminds me of
Monty Python:

"I think that all good, right thinking people in this country are sick and
tired of being told that all good, right thinking people in this country are
fed up with being told that all good, right thinking people in this country
are fed up with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not, and I'm sick and
tired of being told that I am."

ObFood: Going to the Sacramento farmers' market in the morning; there's a
good chance the Stockton asparagus will be there.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote
>
>> Correctomudno. I have Quote Fix now. Do my replies look better?

> Julie, there was nothing wrong with yours before. A few who didn't bother
> to look up (or didnt know how) 'assumed' you had a different software or
> that a fix for OE would 'fix' googlegroups messes.
>
> It never was you to start with.

Well it *does* seem to fix posts from a certain poster on another NG who
doesn't use google. But... It's a PITA to use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> "Julie Bove" wrote
>>
>> > Correctomudno. I have Quote Fix now. Do my replies look better?

>> Julie, there was nothing wrong with yours before. A few who didn't
>> bother
>> to look up (or didnt know how) 'assumed' you had a different software or
>> that a fix for OE would 'fix' googlegroups messes.
>>
>> It never was you to start with.

> ObFood: The proof of the pudding will be when Julie responds to a
> GoogleGroups post and it either fixes or doesn't fix the quote problem.

I will try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"guiller" > wrote in message

> [...]
>> wind up with soooo much of it! I have made this for my husband's
>> extended
>> family (Italian, lots of people there for dinner) and although they
>> loved
>> it, there was still enough for a second day. Yes, I know it freezes,
>> but I
>> never seem to have room in my freezer for leftovers.
>>
>> I did buy some smaller casserole dishes for us to use while my husband
>> is
>> away. Perhaps what I should do is start by pulling out a set amount of
>>
>> noodles, then cooking and only using those? Using the whole box would
>> for
>> sure be overkill. Unless perhaps my husband is home. He has no
>> problems
>> eating leftovers.

> of course.. egss add taste to lasagna and makes your lasagna pretty.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 10:53:17 -0600, Ema Nymton >
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Janet, I will give nutmeg a try. I believe Goomba also mentioned
>> that. I bought fresh nutmeg when I was traveling, but for some reason, I
>> do not use it very often. I do like it, what I dislike is when people
>> use too much cloves.

> Too much cloves in what?

I can't stand too much nutmeg. If I use it, I use only a pinch. That I can
tolerate. But any more than that and it just tastes vile to me. I do like
the smell of it though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

No, but I put lasagna in my eggs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 11:45:42 +0000, mort03crow
> wrote:

> I have not ever use eggs in Lasagna
> and i have also not heard about this ever

There's nothing like a badly worded OP to stir the pot.

People mix an egg in with the ricotta to make it runnier and easier to
spread. Then when it bakes, it's not watery because the egg tightens
back up. If you don't have any eggs on hand it's not the end of the
world, just leave it out and use a little water. If you're allergic
to eggs, use egg free pasta and leave the egg out of the ricotta.

Honestly, I don't understand why this thread has gone on for so many
days. It's pretty simple. Do it or don't do it. Either way is fine.
It's not like you're supposed to be see a layer of eggs. Think about
eating a piece of cake or a cookie. The egg is there, but you don't
bite into it and think "I'm eating scrambled eggs".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 3:18*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> [...]
> broken in chunks for chicken and noodles.
>
> I would LOVE to be able to make and eat lasagna again. *My only other
> problem is the amount that it makes. *At one point I had a huge lasagna pan.
> I will have to look. *Am not sure I still have it. *No matter what I do, I
> wind up with soooo much of it! *I have made this for my husband's extended
> family (Italian, lots of people there for dinner) and although they loved
> it, there was still enough for a second day. *Yes, I know it freezes, but I
> never seem to have room in my freezer for leftovers.
>
> I did buy some smaller casserole dishes for us to use while my husband is
> away. *Perhaps what I should do is start by pulling out a set amount of
> noodles, then cooking and only using those? *Using the whole box would for
> sure be overkill. *Unless perhaps my husband is home. *He has no problems

Never have I put in an egg in any form.

As for size, build a couple of small ones in those 9 by 3 baking
dishes, or build some individuals in boats.

I count out the noodles I need, and do a couple of extras for
breakage. If I have an extra noodle or two, I build an individual.
Waste not.....

No one should have a problem eating leftovers. If someone disdains
leftovers, I call it a form of snob-ism. It used to be considered a
sin to waste food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 11:45:42 +0000, mort03crow
> > wrote:
>
>> I have not ever use eggs in Lasagna
>> and i have also not heard about this ever

> There's nothing like a badly worded OP to stir the pot.
>
> People mix an egg in with the ricotta to make it runnier and easier to
> spread. Then when it bakes, it's not watery because the egg tightens
> back up. If you don't have any eggs on hand it's not the end of the
> world, just leave it out and use a little water. If you're allergic
> to eggs, use egg free pasta and leave the egg out of the ricotta.
>
> Honestly, I don't understand why this thread has gone on for so many
> days. It's pretty simple. Do it or don't do it. Either way is fine.
> It's not like you're supposed to be see a layer of eggs. Think about
> eating a piece of cake or a cookie. The egg is there, but you don't
> bite into it and think "I'm eating scrambled eggs".

I just wanted to know if it would work without the egg. I didn't want to
waste a lot of money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> Fast forward several years. Now we have food allergies. She has
>> discovered frozen lasagna that she isn't allergic to. She loves it.
>> But it contains eggs. And I'm allergic to eggs.

> You are the only person I know of that uses eggs in lasagna. Never
> heard of it before, never thought it would have a place.

I add eggs to the ricotta cheese (1 egg per pound.) I blend it in a
food processor for a couple of minutes until it is *smooth*. But I
bet it would work OK without the eggs too.

I think Julie also asked about vegetables (and the tomatoes and
onions don't count.) I sometimes put frozen spinach in mine --
thawed and squeezed.

-Bob