Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Separating coffee filters

On Mar 16, 8:02*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> wrote:
> > We don't have any use for pod coffee makers, and little 4 or 5 cup
> > hotel makers don't make enough for both of us to have large cups. Plus
> > we like full-flavored coffee.

We'd just fill the thing up a little more than halfway with water.
That'd make one decent sized cup, then we'd use the second packet for
the other cup.

> > So whenever we travel, as soon as we check into our hotel, we find the
> > local drug store and buy a 10-cup Mr. Coffee-type machine for ~$15 to
> > use in the room. It pays for itself in two days, compared to CharBucks
> > and such. When we leave, we leave the machine behind in the hotel
> > room.

> That's a riot. *And I feel funny leaving behind styrofoam coolers
> in every hotel.
>
> I like that idea. *I like a decent cup of coffee in the morning and
> the hotel coffees are usually pretty bad. *

I don't usually find them undrinkable, but it is beeter to bring your
own. I've got this little Cuisinart 4 cup (Cuisinart DCC-450BK) that
we'll take with from now on.

> The latest was the worst
> as it was Wolfgang Puck and it looked like you could only use the
> packets that came with it. *Sigh. *I always pick up light cream or
> half and half but even that didn't help this stuff. *

I've said it here before, and I'll say it again, Wolfgang Puck is a
piece of garbage. He must really love that artificial creamer crap
since he used it in his "cream of" soups. We also always buy half &
half when we're on the road.

> > We've been doing this for over twenty years, so I'm sort of the Johnny
> > Appleseed of coffee makers. 8

That's practical if you fly. We always either drive or take Amtrak so
the space/weight thing isn't an issue. I dislike flying and
positively adore Amtrak.

> Funny.
>
> nancy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke > wrote:

>> Could be, I just have a strong barrier to discarding manufactured things
>> that are capable of more permanent use. I do know some allowances
>> must be made when traveling, but I am pretty much satisfied with traveling
>> with a filter cone and filters and not throwing away an entire coffeemaker.
>> Last I checked society was having major issues disposing of plastic-based
>> trash.

>The trouble with filter cone and filters is that now you have go out and
>buy a stove and a kettle.

Not necessarily. A hotel room usually has either a microwave or
some sort of inferior coffeemaker that can nonetheless heat water.
If not, one can travel with an immersion heater.

It is also possible to cold-brew coffee very successfully.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 06:50:42 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

> wrote:
>
>>So whenever we travel, as soon as we check into our hotel, we find the
>>local drug store and buy a 10-cup Mr. Coffee-type machine for ~$15 to
>>use in the room. It pays for itself in two days, compared to CharBucks
>>and such. When we leave, we leave the machine behind in the hotel
>>room.

>Wow. Personally it gives me the jeebies to buy, use, and discard
>something so casually. You know that slave laborers make those
>coffee makers?

You believe that fercocktah fairy tale, I don't. At one point I
traveled extensively, before in-room coffee was common place. It's no
big deal to travel with ones own brewer and coffee. In fact I still
have my traveling kitchen at the ready in it's little duffel bag... I
have an 8 cup Black & Decker ADC (quite compact but plenty adequate
for two), and I have an 8 cup electric perk that I actually prefer for
travel (even smaller and no caraffe to break). Anyway nowadays most
all Hotels offer unlimited in-room complimentary coffee service, even
Motels have a decent sized ADC in the room, and no law says you must
use their coffee, you can always use your own. I don't believe that
fairy tale... pltrgyst ain't gonna take the time to shop for and then
toss away a brand new ADC, anyone who boasts of such extravagance is
more the type who steals as much complimentary toiletries off the
maid's cart as can fit in their luggage... I guess there's no room for
a coffee pot when they need the space for all the towels they steal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > If this is in an office, investigate buying pre-measured sealed
> > packets of coffee, not loose coffee that you need paper filters for.
> > Much easier; no mess. *Our office buys them from discountcoffee.com.

> You do pay significantly more that way, which could be worth it in an
> office where the employees' time is money.
>
> I even buy loose tea instead of tea bags.

I always buy loose tea and use one of those little perforated ball
diffusers - because it's better than teabags, not for any other
reason.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 16, 9:38*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Steve Pope wrote:
> > Nancy Young > wrote:
> >> They wouldn't be better off making no wages, besides, I doubt the
> >> coffee makers wind up in the trash. *Someone takes it home.

> > Could be, I just have a strong barrier to discarding manufactured
> > things that are capable of more permanent use. *I do know some
> > allowances
> > must be made when traveling, but I am pretty much satisfied with
> > traveling with a filter cone and filters and not throwing away an
> > entire coffeemaker. Last I checked society was having major issues
> > disposing of plastic-based trash.

> I'm with you on that. *I genuinely feel that the machine finds a
> new home, that people practically living on tips don't just toss
> perfectly good coffee machines. *What do I know. *Googling
> around it seems like they might hold onto it in case you just forgot
> it, and after some time they give the stuff to charity or the
> employees. *
>
> If I was to do that, I'd now be inclined to leave a note that it's free
> to a good home so they know I don't want it back.
>
> nancy

Sometimes visitors will call the hotel and ask for the items they
forgot - in my case, it was a favorite robe, which some employee
decided they needed more than I did, and the hotel denied I left it
there - so I'd be sure to leave a note on anything useful that I
abandoned in a hotel room.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 15:05:17 +0000 (UTC),

>(Steve Pope) wrote:

>>>The trouble with filter cone and filters is that now you have go out and
>>>buy a stove and a kettle.

>>Not necessarily. A hotel room usually has either a microwave or
>>some sort of inferior coffeemaker that can nonetheless heat water.
>>If not, one can travel with an immersion heater.
>>
>>It is also possible to cold-brew coffee very successfully.

>Your alternatives are far more complicated and unworkable for a
>traveler than the original poster's idea of a cheap drip machine,
>sufficient to provide 10 cups' worth at each use during the stay, then
>abandoned at the hotel.

Not in my opinion.

>There is no reason to think that the abandoned drip machine will be
>invariably trashed, rather than re-used, either.

Hotel staff usually puts in the trash anything left in the room unless it
is of immense value.

>If you're really worrying about carbon footprint, best that all
>travelers who aren't hoofing it, stay home.

This is not a useful attitude. People should conserve resources where
they can, even while trying to do the things they want/need to do.
To throw up your hands and give up on conserving is not the right approach.
IMO.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 16:20:20 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

>Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 15:05:17 +0000 (UTC),

>>(Steve Pope) wrote:

>>>Not necessarily. A hotel room usually has either a microwave or
>>>some sort of inferior coffeemaker that can nonetheless heat water.
>>>If not, one can travel with an immersion heater.
>>>
>>>It is also possible to cold-brew coffee very successfully.

>>Your alternatives are far more complicated and unworkable for a
>>traveler than the original poster's idea of a cheap drip machine,
>>sufficient to provide 10 cups' worth at each use during the stay, then
>>abandoned at the hotel.

>Not in my opinion.

No shit, Sherlock. But as a frequent traveler, I can tell you that
making an equivalent of 10 cups of coffee's water with a immersion
heater or the usually ill-washed mini coffeepot in the room, or
bringing along a vessel to heat water in a micro, then schlep all the
pieces need to make drip (don't hassle me, I assure you that I have
more Chemex coffee makers than you can shake a stick at. I collect all
sorts of coffee pots) is a royal pain in the ass. So is paying an
outrageous sum for sub-par coffee on the road.

>>There is no reason to think that the abandoned drip machine will be
>>invariably trashed, rather than re-used, either.

>Hotel staff usually puts in the trash anything left in the room unless it
>is of immense value.

You will provide a citation to prove that assumption, won't you?
That's a nice boy....'cause the guy with the MS in hospitality
management studies I just spoke with said that there is no standard
procedure one way or the other unless specifically established by
corporate or franchisee or anyone else who is managing. Net net...good
stuff rarely gets tossed. It may get swiped or stored awhile or
donated or taken home by someone, but rarely tossed.

>>If you're really worrying about carbon footprint, best that all
>>travelers who aren't hoofing it, stay home.

>This is not a useful attitude. People should conserve resources where
>they can, even while trying to do the things they want/need to do.
>To throw up your hands and give up on conserving is not the right approach.
>IMO.

And the reason why such BS conservation attitudes as you took do not
work, is that your poorly thought through alternative is SO much a
bother, SO much an idiotic idea, that anyone with a brain can pick the
battles wisely and conserve along some other lines.

Really, I am a damn Green Queen, but I am not an idiot. It is a topic
I have studied well and wisely and approach in an intelligent,
researched manner with deliberate choices and actions. I don't toss
off blanket, poorly thought out foolishness and declare it logical
and the One True Path.

You are one dumb mother****er. Get back to me when you start shitting
in your catbox.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 16:20:20 +0000 (UTC),

>>Boron Elgar > wrote:

>>>There is no reason to think that the abandoned drip machine will be
>>>invariably trashed, rather than re-used, either.

>>Hotel staff usually puts in the trash anything left in the room unless it
>>is of immense value.

>You will provide a citation to prove that assumption, won't you?

Um... you didn't provide a citation to your claim that it will be
re-used.

>>>If you're really worrying about carbon footprint, best that all
>>>travelers who aren't hoofing it, stay home.

>>This is not a useful attitude. People should conserve resources where
>>they can, even while trying to do the things they want/need to do.
>>To throw up your hands and give up on conserving is not the right approach.
>>IMO.

>And the reason why such BS conservation attitudes as you took do not
>work, is that your poorly thought through alternative is SO much a
>bother, SO much an idiotic idea, that anyone with a brain can pick the
>battles wisely and conserve along some other lines.
>
>Really, I am a damn Green Queen, but I am not an idiot. It is a topic
>I have studied well and wisely and approach in an intelligent,
>researched manner with deliberate choices and actions.

La-de-dah.

>off blanket, poorly thought out foolishness and declare it logical
>and the One True Path.

Nice rant, but your suggestion that one "might as well stay home"
if one does not want to purchase and discard coffeemakers is
offensive. There is nothing "One true path" about questioning
this. You're way, way off base on this one. Doesn't mean you're
not pursuing a thougtful, resource-conserving life in general,
but you've latched onto the wrong argument in this discussion.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:22:37 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 16:20:20 +0000 (UTC),
>(Steve Pope) wrote:
>
>> This is not a useful attitude. People should conserve resources where
>> they can, even while trying to do the things they want/need to do.
>> To throw up your hands and give up on conserving is not the right approach.
>> IMO.

>I think that attitude reflects more than an odd few American's, Steve.

Welcome to life. Everything you do, every choice you make is a trade
off. These trade offs are what makes your life affordable, livable and
if you want to be, altruistic and utilitarian.

Go on...give me a run-down of your life and I'll be happy to pick
apart plenty that you do that isn't up to snuff with the latest
conservation practices. That doesn't make you band, or foolish or
uncaring, it just makes you normal.

It is easy to take to the extreme - you will find lunatics and pigs on
both ends of the spectrum. We each of us take our own stands on social
and environmental issues,. we each find a comfort zone in which to
live and to take an isolated incident as Steve did - that of the
purchased-left-behind coffee pot, and try to extrapolate that into
some uberlifestyle and then criticize a way of living because of such
an insignificant and isolated behavior is plain stupid. It is not
logical, it is not relevant, it is not beneficial. It's bullshit
bravado at its best. It does a disservice to any cause dragged into
it.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:22:37 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 16:20:20 +0000 (UTC),
>>(Steve Pope) wrote:

>>> This is not a useful attitude. People should conserve resources where
>>> they can, even while trying to do the things they want/need to do.
>>> To throw up your hands and give up on conserving is not the right approach.
>>> IMO.

>>I think that attitude reflects more than an odd few American's, Steve.

>Welcome to life. Everything you do, every choice you make is a trade
>off. These trade offs are what makes your life affordable, livable and
>if you want to be, altruistic and utilitarian.
>
>Go on...give me a run-down of your life and I'll be happy to pick
>apart plenty that you do that isn't up to snuff with the latest
>conservation practices. That doesn't make you band, or foolish or
>uncaring, it just makes you normal.
>
>It is easy to take to the extreme - you will find lunatics and pigs on
>both ends of the spectrum. We each of us take our own stands on social
>and environmental issues,. we each find a comfort zone in which to
>live and to take an isolated incident as Steve did - that of the
>purchased-left-behind coffee pot, and try to extrapolate that into
>some uberlifestyle and then criticize a way of living because of such
>an insignificant and isolated behavior is plain stupid.

Why is it "stupid" to have a preference for not casually throwing out
still-perfectly-useful, just-purchased items? If you accepted your
own stance above about us each accepting each other's personal comfort
zones you would not be having this wild reaction to my statements.

And where exactly did I "extrpolate ... into some uberlifestyle?"
I hope you can realize that's a completely fictional allegation.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> I always buy loose tea and use one of those little perforated ball
> diffusers - because it's better than teabags, not for any other
> reason.

I'm not currently a tea drinker, but I got really turned off by cheap
tea bags. They turn the hot water brown really quickly, but there's no
flavor. If you let them steep, they get more flavor. How does that
work? I read that they put food coloring in those really cheap tea bags!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:07:32 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article
>,
> Nancy2 > wrote:
>

>> I always buy loose tea and use one of those little perforated ball
>> diffusers - because it's better than teabags, not for any other
>> reason.

>I'm not currently a tea drinker, but I got really turned off by cheap
>tea bags. They turn the hot water brown really quickly, but there's no
>flavor. If you let them steep, they get more flavor. How does that
>work? I read that they put food coloring in those really cheap tea bags!

All nonsense. There's plenty of quality tea sold in teabags and
plenty of lousy tea sold loose. Nowadays much of what's marketed
loose and in bags isn't even tea, it's a lot of herbal concoctions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:07:32 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>>I'm not currently a tea drinker, but I got really turned off by cheap
>>tea bags. They turn the hot water brown really quickly, but there's no
>>flavor. If you let them steep, they get more flavor. How does that
>>work? I read that they put food coloring in those really cheap tea bags!

>All nonsense. There's plenty of quality tea sold in teabags and
>plenty of lousy tea sold loose. Nowadays much of what's marketed
>loose and in bags isn't even tea, it's a lot of herbal concoctions.

What I have generally found, in the last decade or so, is that
almost all true tea (black tea, green tea) sold in teabags is
not particularly good. Loose tea bought from a good U.S. retail store
can be pretty good, but the best tea seems to be what one can
purchase in India, China, Korea, etc. (I haven't been to Asia recently
but a few folks have gifted me some tea after traveling there.)

(In the very distant past I bought really good Oolong tea from
The Tea Leaf, but recently as a huge chain I do not think they
are doing quite the same.)

Whereas the "herbal concoctions" as you phrase it can be really good,
even in teabags.... assuming it's a herbal concoction you want.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 16, 7:36*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Brooklyn1 *<Gravesend1> wrote:
> >On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:07:32 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
> >>I'm not currently a tea drinker, but I got really turned off by cheap
> >>tea bags. *They turn the hot water brown really quickly, but there's no
> >>flavor. *If you let them steep, they get more flavor. *How does that
> >>work? *I read that they put food coloring in those really cheap tea bags!

> >All nonsense. *There's plenty of quality tea sold in teabags and
> >plenty of lousy tea sold loose. *Nowadays much of what's marketed
> >loose and in bags isn't even tea, it's a lot of herbal concoctions.

> What I have generally found, in the last decade or so, is that
> almost all true tea (black tea, green tea) sold in teabags is
> not particularly good. *Loose tea bought from a good U.S. retail store
> can be pretty good, but the best tea seems to be what one can
> purchase in India, China, Korea, etc. *(I haven't been to Asia recently
> but a few folks have gifted me some tea after traveling there.)

Iced tea at (low-mod priced) restaurants is uniformly bad. Cheap
Chinese green tea is pretty good.

> (In the very distant past I bought really good Oolong tea from
> The Tea Leaf, but recently as a huge chain I do not think they
> are doing quite the same.)
>
> Whereas the "herbal concoctions" as you phrase it can be really good,
> even in teabags.... assuming it's a herbal concoction you want.

Nope, I don't want the herbal stuff.

> S.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 20:16:27 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Mar 16, 7:36*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 *<Gravesend1> wrote:
>> >All nonsense. *There's plenty of quality tea sold in teabags and
>> >plenty of lousy tea sold loose. *Nowadays much of what's marketed
>> >loose and in bags isn't even tea, it's a lot of herbal concoctions.

>> What I have generally found, in the last decade or so, is that
>> almost all true tea (black tea, green tea) sold in teabags is
>> not particularly good. *Loose tea bought from a good U.S. retail store
>> can be pretty good, but the best tea seems to be what one can
>> purchase in India, China, Korea, etc. *(I haven't been to Asia recently
>> but a few folks have gifted me some tea after traveling there.)

>Iced tea at (low-mod priced) restaurants is uniformly bad. Cheap
>Chinese green tea is pretty good.
>>
>> (In the very distant past I bought really good Oolong tea from
>> The Tea Leaf, but recently as a huge chain I do not think they
>> are doing quite the same.)
>>
>> Whereas the "herbal concoctions" as you phrase it can be really good,
>> even in teabags.... assuming it's a herbal concoction you want.

>Nope, I don't want the herbal stuff.

I don't place much value in taste tests for tea, coffee, wine, booze
or any primary ingredient, everyone has a different taster... who's to
say that one beer tastes better than another... it's only particular
combinations that are objectionable. Beer is wonderful for braising
beef... beer for braising chicken is TIAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 8, 2011 at 8:10:15 PM UTC-8, Polly Esther wrote:
> Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but I
> try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a battle
> with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there were two
> stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding and
> growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Amazon has a neat little fix - buy the filter remover - it has rubber on 2 sides and you just pick up the filters with this - its less than $7 and well worth it. Here is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...T41D401QWBW9A8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Graham wrote:

The op is probably dead by now.

€”€”-€“

Nah, Polly Esther is alive and well on
Facebook. Shed find this funny.

Nellie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 9:28:46 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> On 2019-12-27 12:18 p.m., wrote:
> > Amazon has a neat little fix - buy the filter remover - it has rubber on 2 sides and you just pick up the filters with this - its less than $7 and well worth it. Here is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...T41D401QWBW9A8

> The OP is probably dead by now!

The OP of old postings on Usenet are like Schrödinger's Cat: neither alive or dead until someone spills the beans. If you don't have Google Groups, the OP's existence will not even be known. They live in the town of Nowheresville, man.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2019 3:43 PM, Nellie wrote:
> Graham wrote:
>
> The op is probably dead by now.
>
> €”€”-€“
>
> Nah, Polly Esther is alive and well on
> Facebook. Shed find this funny.
>
> Nellie

That's good to hear.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I make French press coffee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 8, 2011 at 11:10:15 PM UTC-5, Polly Esther wrote:
> Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but I
> try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a battle
> with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there were two
> stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding and
> growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

Just give a puff of air on the upper edge of the filters and they will usually come apart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 8, 2011 at 10:10:15 PM UTC-6, Polly Esther wrote:
> Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but I
> try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a battle
> with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there were two
> stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding and
> growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

Just use a sewing needle or straight pin and it' easy to pick off one at a time from the inside.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 5:11:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 8, 2011 at 10:10:15 PM UTC-6, Polly Esther wrote:
> > Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but I
> > try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a battle
> > with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there were two
> > stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding and
> > growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> > Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

> Just use a sewing needle or straight pin and it' easy to pick off one at a time from the inside.

Or just pinch your tongue between your index finger and thumb. I understand folks being hesitant to do that in the time of Covid-19, but the heat of coffee brewing will destroy the virus.

--Bryan

€śUrethra. The word is urethra.
I'm "checking out on that Monday! In nursing school! How to
catheterize a female patient!!Unfortunately we only get to practice/check out on a mannequin.
Unfortunately for me that is, not for the 'patient'!€ť
--John Kuthe in alt.punk 11/18/06

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 7:45:07 PM UTC-5, Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 5:11:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, March 8, 2011 at 10:10:15 PM UTC-6, Polly Esther wrote:

> > > Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but I
> > > try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a battle
> > > with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there were two
> > > stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding and
> > > growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> > > Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

> > Just use a sewing needle or straight pin and it' easy to pick off one at a time from the inside.

> Or just pinch your tongue between your index finger and thumb. I understand folks being hesitant to do that in the time of Covid-19, but the heat of coffee brewing will destroy the virus.
>
> --Bryan

Nine-year-old thread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 8, 2011 Polly Esther wrote:

> Teach me how to separate coffee filters.

Give them a loving puff of air around the edges, like you do hubby.