Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2011-03-07) NS-RFC: And now for dessert...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 2:51*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

MCINL. I doubt I'd order a dessert if I knew it had
Froot Loops in it, but if one arrived that had them,
I'd try it. If they were just, you know, a garnish, I
might scrape them off.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'd express chagrin to the waiter for sure. I doubt this would ever
happen tho, or has anyone really had this experience?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 21:51:18 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I'm assuming it's a prix fixe dinner and no other choices?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2011 2:28 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2:51 pm, > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

> MCINL. I doubt I'd order a dessert if I knew it had
> Froot Loops in it, but if one arrived that had them,
> I'd try it. If they were just, you know, a garnish, I
> might scrape them off.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I agree, but I'd also wonder about the restaurant, thinking Froot Loops
might be just their cheap substitute for real fruit.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 21:51:18 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Froot Loops... yoose be kiddin'... I would never dine ***.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/07/2011 11:51 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

(Note to Cathy: I'm not criticizing the survey by sharing what my MCINL
answer is.)

I chose MCINL because I would taste it and then base whether I ate it or
not on how good it tasted.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 11:51*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I simply would not eat it. If asked, I would tell the the truth. Fruit
loops don't like me. If they didn't bother me, I would eat them as a
dry snack plain, and I do like them. But I always have a reaction to
them. There is something in them that bothers me. I have no idea
what.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> On 03/07/2011 11:51 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> (Note to Cathy: I'm not criticizing the survey by sharing what my MCINL
> answer is.)
>
> I chose MCINL because I would taste it and then base whether I ate it or
> not on how good it tasted.

Me too, PLUS I would suspect that the Froot Loops were actually
imitations. If it was really a fancy restaurant, they might use high
quality fruit and hand make something that looked like Froot Loops but
were really good.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote
> I chose MCINL because I would taste it and then base whether I ate it or
> not on how good it tasted.
>
> Serene

Exactly, chose the same button. One spoonful won't hurt. You never know
what may have been done to them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2011 8:16 PM, wrote:
> On Mar 7, 11:51 am, > wrote:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> I simply would not eat it. If asked, I would tell the the truth. Fruit
> loops don't like me. If they didn't bother me, I would eat them as a
> dry snack plain, and I do like them. But I always have a reaction to
> them. There is something in them that bothers me. I have no idea
> what.

It could easily be all the artificial food coloring.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 18:27:48 -0800, Serene Vannoy wrote:

> On 03/07/2011 11:51 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> (Note to Cathy: I'm not criticizing the survey by sharing what my MCINL
> answer is.)

I knew that <grin>. Believe it or not, I've grown to like it when people
post about why they went for MCINL - or any other choice for that matter;
nice to know what they think.

> I chose MCINL because I would taste it and then base whether I ate it or
> not on how good it tasted.

I have always abhorred Froot Loops (and a lot of other similar "breakfast
cereals") because they just taste (and look) so - what's the word -
synthetic. Packed with goodness and vitamins, my foot. Packed with
artificial <fill in your choice of ingredients here> is more like it, IMO.

BTW, I was very rude in not thanking gloria p for this survey in my OP;
her "Food Network" thread was what got me thinking about it. Belated
apologies - and thank you gloria.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 14:12:49 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 21:51:18 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> I'm assuming it's a prix fixe dinner and no other choices?

No, I wasn't thinking along those lines. Never been to any 'high class'
restaurants that offer set menus for a specific price.

FWIW, when the wait staff (or the chef) at a 'high class' restaurant have
recommended a particular dessert, I've been known to succumb to their
charms and ordered it. However, if a recommended dessert arrived at my
table and it contained Froot Loops, I'd send it straight back to the
kitchen - and revise my opinion of the chef in question.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 20:37:13 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

> FWIW, when the wait staff (or the chef) at a 'high class' restaurant have
> recommended a particular dessert, I've been known to succumb to their
> charms and ordered it. However, if a recommended dessert arrived at my
> table and it contained Froot Loops, I'd send it straight back to the
> kitchen - and revise my opinion of the chef in question.

I think you'd know it contained Froot Loops before you ordered it!
They tend to mention those things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 21:51:18 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

It's good to see both you and a new survey Cathy. I've been pretty
busy myself but I try to keep up with the threads that are on topic. I
voted mcinl because I can't remember the last time I had dessert in a
restaurant. If it came as part of a package I might try it but I
can't say for sure.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 22:50:15 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Serene Vannoy" > wrote
>> I chose MCINL because I would taste it and then base whether I ate it or
>> not on how good it tasted.
>>
>> Serene

> Exactly, chose the same button. One spoonful won't hurt. You never know
> what may have been done to them.

I'm almost afraid to ask - but what the heck - what could one do to Froot
Loops that would make them palatable?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 11:26:25 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 21:51:18 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> It's good to see both you and a new survey Cathy.

Thanks Lou.

> I've been pretty
> busy myself but I try to keep up with the threads that are on topic. I
> voted mcinl because I can't remember the last time I had dessert in a
> restaurant. If it came as part of a package I might try it but I can't
> say for sure.

Ah, OK. I love chocolate mousse and if it's on offer at a restaurant I'll
always order it - but I don't make it at home or I'd weigh 1500lbs by now.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> On 3/7/2011 8:16 PM, wrote:
>> On Mar 7, 11:51 am, > wrote:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

>> I simply would not eat it. If asked, I would tell the the truth.
>> Fruit loops don't like me. If they didn't bother me, I would eat
>> them as a dry snack plain, and I do like them. But I always have a
>> reaction to them. There is something in them that bothers me. I have
>> no idea what.
>>

> It could easily be all the artificial food coloring.

And there's a reason they're not named "Fruit" Loops, they don't
meet the required fruit content. It wouldn't surprise me that they'd
contain some substance that disagrees with some people.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 13:34:33 -0800, Kalmia wrote:

> I'd express chagrin to the waiter for sure. I doubt this would ever
> happen tho, or has anyone really had this experience?

Apparently the judges on "Chopped" have had this experience. (If you see
gloria's thread "Food Network" it was one of the ingredients the
contestants were required to use in a dessert on one of the shows).

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" wrote

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I'd try it. It may be interesting! MCINL vote.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" wrote
> Serene Vannoy wrote:

>> I chose MCINL because I would taste it and then base whether I ate it or
>> not on how good it tasted.

> Me too, PLUS I would suspect that the Froot Loops were actually
> imitations. If it was really a fancy restaurant, they might use high
> quality fruit and hand make something that looked like Froot Loops but
> were really good.

Thats another possible, but I wouldn't be shocked to the point of not
tasting it if served in a high quality restraunt. My assumption before
tasting was they had some quirky humor and a new wonderful way to use them
that fit. Here's an example of cheap sugar sprinkles.

150$ a multi-course meal in Fukuoka. Charlotte at the end wanted the
cupcake for dessert. She was 13 at the time? On a bed of white icing, was
those little star shaped cheap sugar sprinkles laid out to look like a
blanket (I swear, they must have used tweezers to get them just so!), a
paper umbrella, and a gummy bear resting in the shade of it on the blanket.
One corner had blue sugar granules sorta tufted up to look like ocean waves
;-)

Grin, the chef came out to peer around the corner and see if she liked it
but the giggles made it a plain winner. They don't see many kids at places
like that getting a 7 course meal. (I asked them to cut her portions down
so she wouldn't fill up before she got to all the course goodies).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" wrote
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> "Serene Vannoy" wrote

>>> I chose MCINL because I would taste it and then base whether I ate it or
>>> not on how good it tasted.

>> Exactly, chose the same button. One spoonful won't hurt. You never know
>> what may have been done to them.

> I'm almost afraid to ask - but what the heck - what could one do to Froot
> Loops that would make them palatable?

Don't know. Thats why I'd want to try them and see what the total dessert
was like.

Grin, some of us are pretty adventurous this way. If it was an epic fail,
I'd just laugh and say 'nice try' *after* trying it out.

OH! I just remembered something from 1973, Spotsilvania I think was the
place. It's along the blue ridge mountains and a city built pretty much up
the side of a mountain. A nice little noshe made of marshmellow bits,
strawberries and fruit loops that you dipped into a sort of heavy thick
sweet cream. Rustically lovely just like the area. It's a bit like a rice
crispie marshmellow cake but with strawberries (so a little wetter) and
fruit loops. I thought it was perfect when I was 13!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> I'm almost afraid to ask - but what the heck - what could one do to Froot
> Loops that would make them palatable?

Use them in the compost heap and grow basil next year with the compost.

But that's the shtick on the show "Chopped" on FoodTV. They give the
contestants some completely off the wall ingredient and expect them to
do something good with it. The better they think the contestant is the
worse the trick ingredient. By the time they reach the final round of
the all star series I figure they will give them a rock. I think it
makes the show hilarious. It is for entertainment as much as it is for
education after all. Here's a dumb ingredient, now go demonstrate some
technique on it that you haven't used since culinary school ...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 22:50:15 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>

> > "Serene Vannoy" > wrote
> >> I chose MCINL because I would taste it and then base whether I ate

> it or >> not on how good it tasted.
> > >
> >> Serene

> > Exactly, chose the same button. One spoonful won't hurt. You never
> > know what may have been done to them.

> I'm almost afraid to ask - but what the heck - what could one do to
> Froot Loops that would make them palatable?

Deep fried with hot sauce?

--
Dan Goodman
dsgood at lj, dw, ij, fb, tw__
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/2011 3:15 PM, Dan Goodman wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>> I'm almost afraid to ask - but what the heck - what could one do to
>> Froot Loops that would make them palatable?

> Deep fried with hot sauce?

When I potty trained my oldest son, I sprinkled a few Fruit Loops in the
toilet, just to give him a target to aim for. He soon became potty
trained and it only cost me about $1.98 for the box. I was left with
1/2 box that sat in the cupboard for a couple of months. I tried
feeding them to the birds, but they would not touch them.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 12:19*pm, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>
> > I'm almost afraid to ask - but what the heck - what could one do to Froot
> > Loops that would make them palatable?

> Use them in the compost heap and grow basil next year with the compost.
>
> But that's the shtick on the show "Chopped" on FoodTV. *They give the
> contestants some completely off the wall ingredient and expect them to
> do something good with it. *The better they think the contestant is the
> worse the trick ingredient. *By the time they reach the final round of
> the all star series I figure they will give them a rock. *I think it
> makes the show hilarious. *It is for entertainment as much as it is for
> education after all. *Here's a dumb ingredient, now go demonstrate some
> technique on it that you haven't used since culinary school ...

And there is always somebody on the show who apparently has never
watched the show. They seem so offended with a crazy ingredient, or
worse a sub standard canned item or boxed item that is completely
beneath them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 01:27:58 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Mar 9, 12:19*pm, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>> > I'm almost afraid to ask - but what the heck - what could one do to Froot
>> > Loops that would make them palatable?

>> Use them in the compost heap and grow basil next year with the compost.
>>
>> But that's the shtick on the show "Chopped" on FoodTV. *They give the
>> contestants some completely off the wall ingredient and expect them to
>> do something good with it. *The better they think the contestant is the
>> worse the trick ingredient. *By the time they reach the final round of
>> the all star series I figure they will give them a rock. *I think it
>> makes the show hilarious. *It is for entertainment as much as it is for
>> education after all. *Here's a dumb ingredient, now go demonstrate some
>> technique on it that you haven't used since culinary school ...

>And there is always somebody on the show who apparently has never
>watched the show. They seem so offended with a crazy ingredient, or
>worse a sub standard canned item or boxed item that is completely
>beneath them.

Says the fussiest eater on all of usenet, you should know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 5:07*pm, Ema Nymton > wrote:
> On 3/9/2011 3:15 PM, Dan Goodman wrote:
>
> > ChattyCathy wrote:

> >> I'm almost afraid to ask - but what the heck - what could one do to
> >> Froot Loops that would make them palatable?

> > Deep fried with hot sauce?

> When I potty trained my oldest son, I sprinkled a few Fruit Loops in the
> toilet, just to give him a target to aim for. *He soon became potty
> trained and it only cost me about $1.98 for the box. *I was left with
> 1/2 box that sat in the cupboard for a couple of months. *I tried
> feeding them to the birds, but they would not touch them.

I'd bet that raccoons, possums, or woodchucks will eat them.
The little fsckers love Twinkies. When we bait the trap with
Twinkies, we're confident of getting one of those three.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 06:32:24 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> woodchucks

You're in Southeastern Michigan? I lived in Southwestern Michigan and
we called them groundhogs over there. I was well into adulthood
before I knew they were the same thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 06:32:24 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Mar 9, 5:07*pm, Ema Nymton > wrote:

>> > Deep fried with hot sauce?

>> When I potty trained my oldest son, I sprinkled a few Fruit Loops in the
>> toilet, just to give him a target to aim for. *He soon became potty
>> trained and it only cost me about $1.98 for the box. *I was left with
>> 1/2 box that sat in the cupboard for a couple of months. *I tried
>> feeding them to the birds, but they would not touch them.

>I'd bet that raccoons, possums, or woodchucks will eat them.

I don't believe that birds wouldn't eat them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 8, 12:37*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 14:12:49 -0800, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 21:51:18 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > > wrote:

> >>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> > I'm assuming it's a prix fixe dinner and no other choices?

> No, I wasn't thinking along those lines. Never been to any 'high class'
> restaurants that offer set menus for a specific price.
>
> FWIW, when the wait staff (or the chef) at a 'high class' restaurant have
> recommended a particular dessert, I've been known to succumb to their
> charms and ordered it. However, if a recommended dessert arrived at my
> table and it contained Froot Loops, I'd send it straight back to the
> kitchen - and revise my opinion of the chef in question.

That's the answer I chose, but I'd also suspect that there was a
hidden camera somewhere, like Candid Camera.
I wish you could get old episodes of that show on DVD. I still
remember the one where they had seniors at an Ivy League college
getting the results of a career suitability test and the fake
counselor telling one guy that he was most qualified to be a shepherd.

> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 10:17*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 06:32:24 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>
> > wrote:
> > woodchucks

> You're in Southeastern Michigan? *I lived in Southwestern Michigan and
> we called them groundhogs over there. *I was well into adulthood
> before I knew they were the same thing.

Born and bred in SE Michigan.

I go back and forth on what to call them. Doesn't seem to matter.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > ha scritto nel messaggio
sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 06:32:24 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>
> > wrote:
> > woodchucks

> You're in Southeastern Michigan? I lived in Southwestern Michigan and
> we called them groundhogs over there. I was well into adulthood
> before I knew they were the same thing.

Born and bred in SE Michigan.

I go back and forth on what to call them. Doesn't seem to matter.

Unless you are being poetic. "How much hog can a groundhog hog..." it'll
never stick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> (Note to Cathy: I'm not criticizing the survey by sharing what my MCINL
> answer is.)
>
> I chose MCINL because I would taste it and then base whether I ate it or
> not on how good it tasted.

Same here. Moreover, the Froot Loops could have been manipulated to disguise
them: For example, what if they'd been separated into individual colors,
each color had been crushed, each been made into a separate pudding (or
cake), and then combined into a rainbow or color-wheel presentation on the
plate?

Of course, this begs the question of WHY someone would do that, but that's a
separate issue.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> what could one do to Froot Loops that would make them palatable?

I already mentioned one way of handling it (segregating the colors and
making a multi-colored dessert from the crushed Froot Loops). You could also
segregate the colors and coat with melted-down Lifesavers of the same
colors, then mix the candy-coated Froot Loops into a rice pudding at the
last second (so they'd still be crunchy). You could line them up into a
cylinder, pipe something like marshmallow cream into the middle of the
cylinder, dip the whole thing into chocolate, and use as a component of a
chocolate plate.

You're only limited by your imagination!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 5:19*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 01:27:58 -0800 (PST), "
>

> > wrote:

> >> Use them in the compost heap and grow basil next year with the compost..

> >> But that's the shtick on the show "Chopped" on FoodTV. They give the
> >> contestants some completely off the wall ingredient and expect them to
> >> do something good with it. The better they think the contestant is the
> >> worse the trick ingredient. By the time they reach the final round of
> >> the all star series I figure they will give them a rock. I think it
> >> makes the show hilarious. It is for entertainment as much as it is for
> >> education after all. Here's a dumb ingredient, now go demonstrate some
> >> technique on it that you haven't used since culinary school ...

> >And there is always somebody on the show who apparently has never
> >watched the show. They seem so offended with a crazy ingredient, or
> >worse a sub standard canned item or boxed item that is completely
> >beneath them.

> Says the fussiest eater on all of usenet, you should know.

It is pretty funny to see people get something odd or low quality even
though they signed up for the program,. They should have expected it.
They should know in advance that they aren't always going to get the
fanciest cut of meat or the most expensive seafood.

Also, many of the things they find substandard are fine with me. I
actually prefer boxed mac and cheese to the real baked stuff. It's a
texture thing. I like to watch Project runway too, even though I
rarely wear anything like what they make. I can still admire nice
work, and I like to see the challenges.