Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tiny potatoes.

I wanted some small red potatoes, but the ones at the store didn't look
good. Neither did the regular Yukon Golds. But they had a prepackaged bag
of these tiny Yukon Golds. Each potato is about the size of a pearl onion.
So I bought them.

I used them last night to make sort of Chicken Vesuvio. I use sweet rice
flour to coat the chicken. I did not add the white wine because daughter
won't eat it if I do. So I used all chicken broth. I did not have any
lemons so used some Real Lemon juice. It came out a bit more lemony than
usual but I think that's a good thing because there was no wine in it.
Everything else was the same. I used Nucoa instead of butter. And no peas.

The end result is very good! I had to make it last night so it I could
package up a dinner for daughter to take to dance tonight.

These little potatoes are such fun to eat! And it's nice that they have all
the peel on them. I didn't have to chop them either. I will for sure be
buying these again!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I wanted some small red potatoes, but the ones at the store didn't look
>good. Neither did the regular Yukon Golds. But they had a prepackaged bag
>of these tiny Yukon Golds. Each potato is about the size of a pearl onion.
>So I bought them.

Oh, nice! I've not seen the baby Yukons but I certainly will be on the
lookout for them. Bite-size potatoes are such fun!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I wanted some small red potatoes, but the ones at the store didn't look
>>good. Neither did the regular Yukon Golds. But they had a prepackaged
>>bag of these tiny Yukon Golds. Each potato is about the size of a pearl
>>onion. So I bought them.

> Oh, nice! I've not seen the baby Yukons but I certainly will be on the
> lookout for them. Bite-size potatoes are such fun!

They really are!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 19:19:50 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Felice" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >>I wanted some small red potatoes, but the ones at the store didn't look
> >>good. Neither did the regular Yukon Golds. But they had a prepackaged
> >>bag of these tiny Yukon Golds. Each potato is about the size of a pearl
> >>onion. So I bought them.

> > Oh, nice! I've not seen the baby Yukons but I certainly will be on the
> > lookout for them. Bite-size potatoes are such fun!

> They really are!

I haven't seen them either. I've seen fingerlings, nothing smaller
yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> Oh, nice! I've not seen the baby Yukons but I certainly will be on the
>>> lookout for them. Bite-size potatoes are such fun!

>> They really are!
>>

> I haven't seen them either. I've seen fingerlings, nothing smaller
> yet.

Try farmers' markets. My farmers' market has a vendor who almost always has
German Butterball and Yellow Finn potatoes that size. They are amazing.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 19:19:50 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > Oh, nice! I've not seen the baby Yukons but I certainly will be on the
>> > lookout for them. Bite-size potatoes are such fun!

>> They really are!
>>

> I haven't seen them either. I've seen fingerlings, nothing smaller
> yet.

These are smaller.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 20:42:27 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Try farmers' markets. My farmers' market has a vendor who almost always has
> German Butterball and Yellow Finn potatoes that size. They are amazing.

I've been to two different farmer's markets recently and didn't see
potatoes that were maybe the size of a large marble. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 20:51:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
> > On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 19:19:50 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> They really are!
> >>

> > I haven't seen them either. I've seen fingerlings, nothing smaller
> > yet.

> These are smaller.

I understand, but haven't seen them yet. I'll keep an eye out now
that I know they exist, but I look carefully at that section so I know
I didn't miss them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

[...]

They would be delicious just boiled in salted water and served up as is, to
be cut in half and eat with big slabs of butter....Yummy..

BB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 20:42:27 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>

>>Try farmers' markets. My farmers' market has a vendor who almost always has
>>German Butterball and Yellow Finn potatoes that size. They are amazing.

> I've been to two different farmer's markets recently and didn't see
> potatoes that were maybe the size of a large marble. Thanks.

I will go to several stores if i have to, with in a few square blocks,
to find small sweet potatoes, the red skinned, orange fleshed "sweet
potato" i don't think they are particularly better tasting than larger
examples of the same thing, but rather that they cook so much more quickly.

Toss 4 or 5 in the oven for 10 minutes and they let you know when they
are done. After about 10 minutes of cooking the house is suddenly
suffused with their aroma, quite distinct, i have been as far away from
the kitchen as it is possible to get, chez soi, and noticed it.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I wanted some small red potatoes, but the ones at the store didn't look
>>good. Neither did the regular Yukon Golds. But they had a prepackaged
>>bag of these tiny Yukon Golds. Each potato is about the size of a pearl
>>onion. So I bought them.

> Oh, nice! I've not seen the baby Yukons but I certainly will be on the
> lookout for them. Bite-size potatoes are such fun!
>
> Felice

I've seen all sorts of potatoes I don't understand. Fingerlings, for one.
Purple or black potatoes for another. In my mind they fall along the same
lines as things like "broccoflower". Flourescent green cauliflower looking
a lot like broccoli... but not quite. I'm pretty sure it tastes the same as
white cauliflower. But it costs a heck of a lot more. And the prices are
outrageous! (Make up your mind, do you want broccoli or cauliflower?)

I simply buy small red new potatoes. They're much cheaper than these
weirdly modified potatoes. I have a knife handy if I want to cut them into
smaller pieces. Why would anyone really need potatoes the size of pearl
onions?

Jill <--- can't wait to get her oven back so she can make some BIG baked
potatoes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote:
-snip-
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>I wanted some small red potatoes, but the ones at the store didn't look
>>>good. Neither did the regular Yukon Golds. But they had a prepackaged
>>>bag of these tiny Yukon Golds. Each potato is about the size of a pearl
>>>onion. So I bought them.

-snip-

>I've seen all sorts of potatoes I don't understand. Fingerlings, for one.
>Purple or black potatoes for another. In my mind they fall along the same
>lines as things like "broccoflower". Flourescent green cauliflower looking
>a lot like broccoli... but not quite. I'm pretty sure it tastes the same as
>white cauliflower. But it costs a heck of a lot more. And the prices are
>outrageous! (Make up your mind, do you want broccoli or cauliflower?)

I'm with you on that one. I like both & prepare them both
differently- so I've never felt the need to go for the brocco-flower
route.

>I simply buy small red new potatoes. They're much cheaper than these
>weirdly modified potatoes. I have a knife handy if I want to cut them into
>smaller pieces. Why would anyone really need potatoes the size of pearl
>onions?

Need? If it was need, I'd just buy the biggest bag of the cheapest
potatoes I could find. We just had salt roasted potatoes Wed. I
was looking for the fingerling mix but couldn't find it- so I bought 3
bags of little guys. One Gold, one Red & one purple. They were all
about the same price.

I wanted the colors just for show. [but one guest swears the purple
ones taste 'weird'- and another thinks they are the best-- I don't see
the diff]

I wanted the little ones because of the high skin/potato ratio.

>Jill <--- can't wait to get her oven back so she can make some BIG baked
>potatoes!

Samsclub just had the best bag of big Russets I've seen in a long
time. We haven't had a baked potato in months-- but these are going
to be main-dish material.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 8:59*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> *I used Nucoa instead of butter. *And no peas.
>
> The end result is very good! *

Nothing is "good" with filthy margarine in it.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 13:16:37 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> >I've seen all sorts of potatoes I don't understand. Fingerlings, for

>one.
>> was looking for the fingerling mix but couldn't find it-

> I've never heard of fingerling potatoes so had to look them up
>
>http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/fingerling-potatoes/
>
> Does anyone here grow them? Do they taste like other new potatoes, or
>are they more like sweetpotato?

I don't grow them, but I've had them a couple of times. They are
just like new potatoes for me. Their advantage, to me, is just that
they come in a 4-5lb bag with red, yellow & purple all together. I
eat them roasted, usually.

Pricewise, in my neck of the woods, they are more than the 4lb bags of
new potatoes- but less than the tiny bags of red/yellow/purples that I
see.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2011 8:16 AM, Janet wrote:
> In >,
> says...
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> I've seen all sorts of potatoes I don't understand. Fingerlings, for

> one.
>> was looking for the fingerling mix but couldn't find it-

> I've never heard of fingerling potatoes so had to look them up

http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/fingerling-potatoes/

> Does anyone here grow them? Do they taste like other new potatoes, or
> are they more like sweetpotato?
>
> Janet (UK)

I don't know the situation in the UK but very small potatoes in the US,
white, red and fingerlings, are basically regular potato in taste.
Despite their relatively high cost they are great. I suspect they are
rather like the seasonal "new potatoes" I knew as a child in Britain. I
think they taste best boiled for a little less time than normal potatoes
but, IMHO, they can be nuked quite successfully if you are in a hurry.
You can also get small *blue* potatoes and they taste quite good but I
can't get around my initial distaste for the color.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

"Not": obvious change in "Reply To"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2011 8:57 AM, Janet wrote:
> In >,
> says...
>>
>> On 3/4/2011 8:16 AM, Janet wrote:
>>> In >,

says...

>>> one.
>>>
>>> I've never heard of fingerling potatoes so had to look them up

http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/fingerling-potatoes/

>>> Does anyone here grow them? Do they taste like other new potatoes, or
>>> are they more like sweetpotato?
>>>
>>> Janet (UK)
>>>

>> I don't know the situation in the UK but very small potatoes in the US,
>> white, red and fingerlings, are basically regular potato in taste.
>> Despite their relatively high cost they are great. I suspect they are
>> rather like the seasonal "new potatoes" I knew as a child in Britain.

> In my childhood, a seasonal delight was when the new potatoes arrived.
> Men used to cook them on the street (on a brazier), and sell them in a
> brown paper bag, salted, as a delicious hot snack. Nowadays supermarkets
> here sell new potatoes (egg shaped and pale yellow) imported all year
> round but they don't taste anywhere near as good as the ones we grow at
> home, just dug straight from the garden and rushed to the pot. We always
> have a celebratory meal which is just, a big plate of fresh new
> potatoes, boiled, buttered, salted.
>> think they taste best boiled for a little less time than normal potatoes
>> but, IMHO, they can be nuked quite successfully if you are in a hurry.
>> You can also get small *blue* potatoes and they taste quite good but I
>> can't get around my initial distaste for the color.

> Me neither, I grew blue-skins one year out of curiosity but didn't
> bother again.
>
> Janet

I might mention that the flesh of those potatoes is really blue not just
the skins. I think they might be common enough in Peru but are often
available in Whole Foods here.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

"Not": obvious change in "Reply To"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

snip
But they had a prepackaged
>>bag of these tiny Yukon Golds. Each potato is about the size of a pearl
>>onion. So I bought them.

snip

I've seen all sorts of potatoes I don't understand. Fingerlings, for one.
Purple or black potatoes for another. In my mind they fall along the same
lines as things like "broccoflower". Flourescent green cauliflower looking
a lot like broccoli... but not quite. I'm pretty sure it tastes the same as
white cauliflower. But it costs a heck of a lot more. And the prices are
outrageous! (Make up your mind, do you want broccoli or cauliflower?)

snip
Jill
I won't say for absolutely, positively sure this applies to every single
one, but all the different color potatoes and shapes are simply old
varieties or varieties from different parts of the world. The same is true
for the various forms of broccoli and cauliflower.
The tiny potatoes are simply picked in infancy and that makes them cost
more because harvest is smaller. When picked in the home garden at that
size, they are really tasty to eat raw.
I'm sure the interest in immature veggies stems from various
restaurants/chefs wanting to dazzle jaded tastes and attract customers.
Personally, I can't understand the interest in tiny, string-like carrots
with the heads and tails still on. It makes me feel gaggy just thinking
about those string parts in the mouth. Or green beans served with the
pointy end still attached. Yuck. I guess I'm just not with the program.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> "Felice" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>I wanted some small red potatoes, but the ones at the store didn't look
>>>good. Neither did the regular Yukon Golds. But they had a prepackaged
>>>bag of these tiny Yukon Golds. Each potato is about the size of a pearl
>>>onion. So I bought them.

>> Oh, nice! I've not seen the baby Yukons but I certainly will be on the
>> lookout for them. Bite-size potatoes are such fun!
>>
>> Felice
>>

> I've seen all sorts of potatoes I don't understand. Fingerlings, for one.
> Purple or black potatoes for another. In my mind they fall along the same
> lines as things like "broccoflower". Flourescent green cauliflower
> looking a lot like broccoli... but not quite. I'm pretty sure it tastes
> the same as white cauliflower. But it costs a heck of a lot more. And
> the prices are outrageous! (Make up your mind, do you want broccoli or
> cauliflower?)
>
> I simply buy small red new potatoes. They're much cheaper than these
> weirdly modified potatoes. I have a knife handy if I want to cut them
> into smaller pieces. Why would anyone really need potatoes the size of
> pearl onions?
>
> Jill <--- can't wait to get her oven back so she can make some BIG baked
> potatoes!

Gee, why would anyone need potatoes at all!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 3/4/2011 8:57 AM, Janet wrote:
>> In >,
>> says...

says...

http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/fingerling-potatoes/

>>> I don't know the situation in the UK but very small potatoes in the US,
>>> white, red and fingerlings, are basically regular potato in taste.
>>> Despite their relatively high cost they are great. I suspect they are
>>> rather like the seasonal "new potatoes" I knew as a child in Britain.

>> In my childhood, a seasonal delight was when the new potatoes arrived.
>> Men used to cook them on the street (on a brazier), and sell them in a
>> brown paper bag, salted, as a delicious hot snack. Nowadays supermarkets
>> here sell new potatoes (egg shaped and pale yellow) imported all year
>> round but they don't taste anywhere near as good as the ones we grow at
>> home, just dug straight from the garden and rushed to the pot. We always
>> have a celebratory meal which is just, a big plate of fresh new
>> potatoes, boiled, buttered, salted.
>>> think they taste best boiled for a little less time than normal potatoes
>>> but, IMHO, they can be nuked quite successfully if you are in a hurry.
>>> You can also get small *blue* potatoes and they taste quite good but I
>>> can't get around my initial distaste for the color.

>> Me neither, I grew blue-skins one year out of curiosity but didn't
>> bother again.
>>
>> Janet

> I might mention that the flesh of those potatoes is really blue not just
> the skins. I think they might be common enough in Peru but are often
> available in Whole Foods here.

Actually the flesh is sort of purple. Mostly paler but with a darker bit in
it. The color was off-putting to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
On Mar 3, 8:59 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I used Nucoa instead of butter. And no peas.
>
> The end result is very good!

Nothing is "good" with filthy margarine in it.

---

If you can eat butter, fine. We have to limit our dairy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
m...

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> snip
> But they had a prepackaged
>>>bag of these tiny Yukon Golds. Each potato is about the size of a pearl
>>>onion. So I bought them.

> snip
>
> I've seen all sorts of potatoes I don't understand. Fingerlings, for one.
> Purple or black potatoes for another. In my mind they fall along the same
> lines as things like "broccoflower". Flourescent green cauliflower
> looking
> a lot like broccoli... but not quite. I'm pretty sure it tastes the same
> as
> white cauliflower. But it costs a heck of a lot more. And the prices are
> outrageous! (Make up your mind, do you want broccoli or cauliflower?)
>
> snip
> Jill
> I won't say for absolutely, positively sure this applies to every single
> one, but all the different color potatoes and shapes are simply old
> varieties or varieties from different parts of the world. The same is
> true for the various forms of broccoli and cauliflower.

Agreed!

> The tiny potatoes are simply picked in infancy and that makes them cost
> more because harvest is smaller. When picked in the home garden at that
> size, they are really tasty to eat raw.

I've never been a fan of raw potatoes.
(snippage)

>I guess I'm just not with the program.
> Janet

Guess I'm not with the program either!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
<snip>
> I simply buy small red new potatoes. They're much cheaper than these
> weirdly modified potatoes. I have a knife handy if I want to cut them
> into smaller pieces. Why would anyone really need potatoes the size of
> pearl onions?

Maybe for the same reason they want pearl onions instead of the larger ones?
The babies look so cute on the plate!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 07:37:31 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> I wanted the colors just for show. [but one guest swears the purple
> ones taste 'weird'- and another thinks they are the best-- I don't see
> the diff]

My husband will *not* eat the purple ones, so I won't buy the mixed
bags anymore. I think it's a visual thing with him though. Too bad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:44:25 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, James
Silverton > wrote,
>You can also get small *blue* potatoes and they taste quite good but I
>can't get around my initial distaste for the color.

I often wonder why there's no blue food. Every other color in
well represented in the food kingdom. And don't bother me with
blueberries; they're purple. The same is true with blue corn and
blue potatoes. They're purple. Blue cheese? Nice try. It's actually
white cheese with blue mold. Occasionally, you might run across some
blue Jell-o in a cafeteria. Don't eat it. It wasn't supposed to be
blue. Something went wrong.
-- George Carlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04dn8Msm-Y
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:44:25 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> You can also get small *blue* potatoes and they taste quite good but I
> can't get around my initial distaste for the color.

I still haven't seen blue potatoes. They're dark purple (almost
black) around here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 07:20:46 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

> Or green beans served with the
> pointy end still attached. Yuck. I guess I'm just not with the program.

What's wrong with the pointy end?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 9:21*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Bryan" > wrote in message

> On Mar 3, 8:59 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
> > *I used Nucoa instead of butter. And no peas.

> > The end result is very good!

> Nothing is "good" with filthy margarine in it.
>
> ---
>
> If you can eat butter, fine. *We have to limit our dairy.

Why? Do you think it's healthier to consume hydrogenated fats?
http://www.zeer.com/Food-Products/Nu...rine/000025024

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Why would anyone really need potatoes the size of pearl onions?

> Maybe for the same reason they want pearl onions instead of the larger ones?
> The babies look so cute on the plate!

I think several types of small veggies taste better than their larger
counterparts. It sure works with squash varieties.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 07:08:49 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Felice" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>I wanted some small red potatoes, but the ones at the store didn't look
>>>good. Neither did the regular Yukon Golds. But they had a prepackaged
>>>bag of these tiny Yukon Golds. Each potato is about the size of a pearl
>>>onion. So I bought them.

>> Oh, nice! I've not seen the baby Yukons but I certainly will be on the
>> lookout for them. Bite-size potatoes are such fun!
>>
>> Felice
>>

>I've seen all sorts of potatoes I don't understand. Fingerlings, for one.
>Purple or black potatoes for another. In my mind they fall along the same
>lines as things like "broccoflower". Flourescent green cauliflower looking
>a lot like broccoli... but not quite. I'm pretty sure it tastes the same as
>white cauliflower. But it costs a heck of a lot more. And the prices are
>outrageous! (Make up your mind, do you want broccoli or cauliflower?)
>
>I simply buy small red new potatoes. They're much cheaper than these
>weirdly modified potatoes. I have a knife handy if I want to cut them into
>smaller pieces. Why would anyone really need potatoes the size of pearl
>onions?

I don't think she knows what a pearl onion is... pearl onions are
slightly larger than a chickpea, about the size of a shelled
hazelnut... I've never seen any potatoes for sale in that size range.
Btw, pearl onions grow above ground, they're known as "tree onions".
http://www.kosmix.com/topic/pearl_onions
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"David Harmon" > wrote in message
m...
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:44:25 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, James
> Silverton > wrote,
>>You can also get small *blue* potatoes and they taste quite good but I
>>can't get around my initial distaste for the color.

> I often wonder why there's no blue food. Every other color in
> well represented in the food kingdom. And don't bother me with
> blueberries; they're purple. The same is true with blue corn and
> blue potatoes. They're purple. Blue cheese? Nice try. It's actually
> white cheese with blue mold. Occasionally, you might run across some
> blue Jell-o in a cafeteria. Don't eat it. It wasn't supposed to be
> blue. Something went wrong.
> -- George Carlin

Stop me if you've heard this one ...

During WW2 when there was no butter around, margarine came with a yellow
coloring capsule to mush into it. My brother decided one day to use blue
food coloring. No one could eat it, Blue is NOT a food color!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in -
september.org:

> Blue is NOT a food color!

Blueberries are not food?

--

"A public union employee, a tea party activist, and a CEO are sitting at a
table with a plate of a dozen cookies in the middle of it. The CEO takes 11
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> <snip>
>> I simply buy small red new potatoes. They're much cheaper than these
>> weirdly modified potatoes. I have a knife handy if I want to cut them
>> into smaller pieces. Why would anyone really need potatoes the size of
>> pearl onions?

> Maybe for the same reason they want pearl onions instead of the larger
> ones?
> The babies look so cute on the plate!
>
> Felice

LOL Well, I only have one recipe that calls for pearl onions and I can't
think of the name of it. So mostly I don't bother. I'd just buy small red
potatoes and cut them into smaller pieces.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2011 1:02 PM, Felice wrote:
> "David > wrote in message
> m...
>> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:44:25 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, James
>> > wrote,
>>> You can also get small *blue* potatoes and they taste quite good but I
>>> can't get around my initial distaste for the color.

>> I often wonder why there's no blue food. Every other color in
>> well represented in the food kingdom. And don't bother me with
>> blueberries; they're purple. The same is true with blue corn and
>> blue potatoes. They're purple. Blue cheese? Nice try. It's actually
>> white cheese with blue mold. Occasionally, you might run across some
>> blue Jell-o in a cafeteria. Don't eat it. It wasn't supposed to be
>> blue. Something went wrong.
>> -- George Carlin

> Stop me if you've heard this one ...
>
> During WW2 when there was no butter around, margarine came with a yellow
> coloring capsule to mush into it. My brother decided one day to use blue
> food coloring. No one could eat it, Blue is NOT a food color!
>
> Felice

I'm not going to Google for the actual citation but I remember a long
ago experiment that got people to eat quite appetizing food in a room
illuminated by pure red light. About a third of the people suffered
gastric distress.

I also remember my high school cafeteria where they used to frequently
serve one of the cook's favorites, a jello type mold, colored mauve and
flavored with almond. The number of takers was small.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

"Not": obvious change in "Reply To"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> "Felice" > wrote in -
> september.org:
>
>> Blue is NOT a food color!

> Blueberries are not food?

David Harmon just quoted George Carlin claiming that they're purple!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2011 1:06 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> > wrote in -
> september.org:
>
>> Blue is NOT a food color!

> Blueberries are not food?

They're good tho, especially on top of vanilla ice cream or filling the
center of half a cantaloupe melon. They also make a superb pie filling.
My British grandfather used to collect blueberries (blaeberries) on the
Northumbrian moors. It was one of the big days of his life when he
discovered that he could buy them frozen in a supermarket.

Incidentally, it's OT since they are red, but does anyone else like the
dried barberries characteristic of Persian cooking? In addition to their
use in rice dishes, they are also good on ice cream.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

"Not": obvious change in "Reply To"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 3/4/2011 1:02 PM, Felice wrote:
>>
>> Stop me if you've heard this one ...
>>
>> During WW2 when there was no butter around, margarine came with a yellow
>> coloring capsule to mush into it. My brother decided one day to use blue
>> food coloring. No one could eat it, Blue is NOT a food color!
>>
>> Felice

> I also remember my high school cafeteria where they used to frequently
> serve one of the cook's favorites, a jello type mold, colored mauve and
> flavored with almond. The number of takers was small.
>
> James Silverton, Potomac

You do know, of course, that you eat Jell-O in a cafeteria only when it's a
different color from the day before.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:20:52 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 07:20:46 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:
>
>> Or green beans served with the
>> pointy end still attached. Yuck. I guess I'm just not with the program.

>What's wrong with the pointy end?

The stems and strings should be removed but leaving the pointy tip is
the proper way to serve green beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:20:52 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 07:20:46 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:
>
>> Or green beans served with the
>> pointy end still attached. Yuck. I guess I'm just not with the program.

>What's wrong with the pointy end?

The stems and strings should be removed but leaving the pointy tip is
the proper way to serve green beans.

Who says? I think the pointy end is unpleasant in the mouth. Sheldon, I'm
sure you have an appropriate comment to go along with that. ;o}
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2011 2:55 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" wrote in message
>
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:20:52 -0800, > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 07:20:46 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Or green beans served with the
>>> pointy end still attached. Yuck. I guess I'm just not with the program.

>> What's wrong with the pointy end?

> The stems and strings should be removed but leaving the pointy tip is
> the proper way to serve green beans.
>
> Who says? I think the pointy end is unpleasant in the mouth. Sheldon, I'm
> sure you have an appropriate comment to go along with that. ;o}
> Janet

I don't find the "strings" on current green beans noticeable but I do
like the ends of the beans cut off. When I was a kid, the strings were
tough and inedible but that doesn't seem so now.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

"Not": obvious change in "Reply To"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 9:59*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I wanted some small red potatoes, but the ones at the store didn't look
> good. *Neither did the regular Yukon Golds. *But they had a prepackaged bag
> of these tiny Yukon Golds. *Each potato is about the size of a pearl onion.
> So I bought them.
>
> I used them last night to make sort of Chicken Vesuvio. *I use sweet rice
> flour to coat the chicken. *I did not add the white wine because daughter
> won't eat it if I do. *So I used all chicken broth. *I did not have any
> lemons so used some Real Lemon juice. *It came out a bit more lemony than
> usual but I think that's a good thing because there was no wine in it.
> Everything else was the same. *I used Nucoa instead of butter. *And no peas.
>
> The end result is very good! *I had to make it last night so it I could
> package up a dinner for daughter to take to dance tonight.
>
> These little potatoes are such fun to eat! *And it's nice that they have all
> the peel on them. *I didn't have to chop them either. *I will for sure be
> buying these again!

How much a pound were they?

OT - Another tiny cat Janet Wilder[_1_] General Cooking 62 13-12-2012 05:02 PM
Tiny kitchens Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 62 06-11-2011 04:29 PM
Tiny bubbles.... N2310D Winemaking 0 19-12-2006 04:06 AM
tiny bubbles in my Cab -What are they? [email protected] Winemaking 3 30-11-2006 12:44 AM
tiny URL Bob Pastorio General Cooking 19 05-11-2003 07:52 PM