Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 1/2C butter, 1 1/2C corn syrup, 1 T cinn. . . . .

1/2C butter, 1 1/2C corn syrup, 1 T cinn. . . . .

That's where I realized I meant to use corn *oil* - not syrup.

Damn brain fog! I could just dump it and make the Melomakarona
cookies I had started- but I apparently need a nap, anyway, so while
I'm pausing, does that look like the start of anything good?

BTW- I just ate the last one of these this morning. Made them in the
beginning of Dec & they've been in a tin in my foyer since then. The
flavor & texture was exactly as they were within a week of making
them. [this particular recipe doesn't say they are better after a week
or two-- but another one does, and I agree. But this is the recipe I
followed- [except to substitute farina and grits for the semolina, I
followed it exactly, using orange juice, not beer. This time I plan
on making them a bit smaller & will practice my quenelle technique to
form them.]
http://www.food.com/recipe/melomakar...s-cookie-76498

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2011 1:03 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> 1/2C butter, 1 1/2C corn syrup, 1 T cinn. . . . .
>
> That's where I realized I meant to use corn *oil* - not syrup.
>
> Damn brain fog! I could just dump it and make the Melomakarona
> cookies I had started- but I apparently need a nap, anyway, so while
> I'm pausing, does that look like the start of anything good?
>
> BTW- I just ate the last one of these this morning. Made them in the
> beginning of Dec& they've been in a tin in my foyer since then. The
> flavor& texture was exactly as they were within a week of making
> them. [this particular recipe doesn't say they are better after a week
> or two-- but another one does, and I agree. But this is the recipe I
> followed- [except to substitute farina and grits for the semolina, I
> followed it exactly, using orange juice, not beer. This time I plan
> on making them a bit smaller& will practice my quenelle technique to
> form them.]
> http://www.food.com/recipe/melomakar...s-cookie-76498
>
> Jim

Maybe a couple of chess pies or pecan pie. Sounds like too
much corn syrup for just one pie.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally > wrote:

>On 3/3/2011 1:03 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> 1/2C butter, 1 1/2C corn syrup, 1 T cinn. . . . .
>>
>> That's where I realized I meant to use corn *oil* - not syrup.
>>
>> Damn brain fog! I could just dump it and make the Melomakarona
>> cookies I had started- but I apparently need a nap, anyway, so while
>> I'm pausing, does that look like the start of anything good?

-snip-

>Maybe a couple of chess pies or pecan pie. Sounds like too
>much corn syrup for just one pie.

thanks-

I didn't see a Chess pie that would use that much butter-- but while
looking I found an oatmeal pie that might work. I'll leave it all
right there until tomorrow morning & maybe make a pair of oatmeal pies
and donate one to somebody.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/03/2011 1:18 PM, Kate Connally wrote:
> On 3/3/2011 1:03 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> 1/2C butter, 1 1/2C corn syrup, 1 T cinn. . . . .
>>
>> That's where I realized I meant to use corn *oil* - not syrup.
>>
>> Damn brain fog! I could just dump it and make the Melomakarona
>> cookies I had started- but I apparently need a nap, anyway, so while
>> I'm pausing, does that look like the start of anything good?
>>
>> BTW- I just ate the last one of these this morning. Made them in the
>> beginning of Dec& they've been in a tin in my foyer since then. The
>> flavor& texture was exactly as they were within a week of making
>> them. [this particular recipe doesn't say they are better after a week
>> or two-- but another one does, and I agree. But this is the recipe I
>> followed- [except to substitute farina and grits for the semolina, I
>> followed it exactly, using orange juice, not beer. This time I plan
>> on making them a bit smaller& will practice my quenelle technique to
>> form them.]
>> http://www.food.com/recipe/melomakar...s-cookie-76498
>>
>> Jim

> Maybe a couple of chess pies or pecan pie. Sounds like too
> much corn syrup for just one pie.

It could be adjust for a double batch of butter tarts. There is too much
butter in it for a single batch, but OP could add some another half cup
of corn syrup and a cup of brown sugar, 2 tsps. vinegar and some
currants or raisins.

It could also be used to make a tarte au sucre. Add some brown sugar
and maple syrup andd a bit of baking soda. Pour it into a single crust
pie pan and backe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally > wrote:
-snip-
>Maybe a couple of chess pies or pecan pie. Sounds like too
>much corn syrup for just one pie.

I rescued 1/2 of the butter & went with a pair of these Oatmeal Pecan
pies.
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re... 000001545731

I used the Joy of Cooking food processor pie crust- and Scottish
Rolled oats. [a lot more body than the Quaker guy's]

The last of my corn syrup was in the bowl- so I used 1/2 cup of honey
to bring the syrup level up.

And I used 3 whole eggs per pie instead of 2 whole & 2 whites.

The bowl already had a T of cinnamon and 1/2 T of ground cloves.

The recipe says 50 minutes- I baked them together and it took nearly
twice that time, so I'd probably allow a bit over an hour for 1.

But the end result is/was scrumptious. The oats add an extra layer
of crunch. The cinnamon and cloves will go into the next pies, too.
They give it a very subtle extra layer of flavor.

All in all, a nice re-direct by the cooking gods.

Jim
[and thanks to Dave too-- Butter tarts are in my future]