Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Falafel

Got any falafel fans, here? I love the damn things.

I made some from a box mix, last night. Better'n a poke in the eye
with a sharp stick, but not by much. I need to make some real one's
from scratch. I plan on following DedeMed's recipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBh5...eature=related

I can get the dried chickpeas, but not the fava beans. Anyone know an
online source, preferrably already peeled? I need an FP, too. What
did ppl use b4 FPs? Meat grinders? I no longer have one of those,
either. No problem. I'll work on getting and FP while looking for
the favas.

I did discover one thing about cooking falafels, last night. I can
now tell if I have too much water in the mix. The oil becomes very
bubbly and foamy. Add only enough water to make the falafels hold
tegether and not foam during frying. Also, the falafels fall apart
while frying, if too moist.

Making two-spoon quenelles is a great technique. Makes them kinda
flatish for pan frying in as little as 1/2" of oil. I'd make 4
quenelles and place them on my pastry scraper, then when ready, slide
them off the scraper into the hot oil. Worked great and doing 4 at a
time didn't over cool the oil. Another trick, one I now use
constantly, is a spray bottle of water, which I keep ready always.
Great for adding that tblsp or tsp of water to dry doughs while
working it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2011 10:30 AM, notbob wrote:
> Got any falafel fans, here? I love the damn things.
>
> I made some from a box mix, last night. Better'n a poke in the eye
> with a sharp stick, but not by much. I need to make some real one's
> from scratch. I plan on following DedeMed's recipe:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBh5...eature=related
>
> I can get the dried chickpeas, but not the fava beans. Anyone know an
> online source, preferrably already peeled? I need an FP, too. What
> did ppl use b4 FPs? Meat grinders? I no longer have one of those,
> either. No problem. I'll work on getting and FP while looking for
> the favas.

Fresh fava beans are ridiculously expensive since most of what you are
buying is pod. Dried ones, especially peeled, aren't too great either:

Shopping results for dried fava beans
Don Enrique Habas Peladas Dried Fava Beans, 8-Ounce Bags (Pack of 12)
$30.29 - Amazon.com
Goya Dry Peeled Fava Beans - 16 oz.
$65.85 - Foodservicedirect.com
Habas (Peeled Fava Beans), Bulk, 16 oz
$8.94 - AmericanSpice.com

--

James Silverton, Potomac

"Not": obvious change in "Reply To"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-01, James Silverton > wrote:

> Shopping results for dried fava beans
> Don Enrique Habas Peladas Dried Fava Beans, 8-Ounce Bags (Pack of 12)
> $30.29 - Amazon.com
> Goya Dry Peeled Fava Beans - 16 oz.
> $65.85 - Foodservicedirect.com
> Habas (Peeled Fava Beans), Bulk, 16 oz
> $8.94 - AmericanSpice.com

Yikes!

I may hafta learn to peel them myself. Thnx.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 7:30*am, notbob > wrote:
> Got any falafel fans, here? *I love the damn things. *
>
> I made some from a box mix, last night. *Better'n a poke in the eye
> with a sharp stick, but not by much. *I need to make some real one's
> from scratch. *I plan on following DedeMed's recipe:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBh5...eature=related
>
> I can get the dried chickpeas, but not the fava beans. *Anyone know an
> online source, preferrably already peeled? *

Have you checked the frozen veggies section at your usual grocery
store? I buy them all the time at my Stater Bros. grocer for the huge
Sink Salad I make for my office Marines (it's a green salad, and the
"sink" name comes about because I make so much that the perfect *bowl*
big enough to toss it in is the kitchen sink). I only get the peeled
beans when I'm in a hurry, but I like to peel the two big bags of them
myself most times.
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 7:30*am, notbob > wrote:
> Got any falafel fans, here? *I love the damn things. *
>
> I made some from a box mix, last night. *Better'n a poke in the eye
> with a sharp stick, but not by much. *I need to make some real one's
> from scratch. *I plan on following DedeMed's recipe:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBh5...eature=related
>
> I can get the dried chickpeas, but not the fava beans. *Anyone know an
> online source, preferrably already peeled? *I need an FP, too. *What
> did ppl use b4 FPs? *Meat grinders? *I no longer have one of those,
> either. *No problem. *I'll work on getting and FP while looking for
> the favas. *

People used mortar and pestle. I bought a lovely heavy one on closeout
from Crate and Barrel one year -- I think it was meant for making
guacamole "tableside" for parties. I use it to mash chillies, garlic,
ginger, and whole spices for curries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2011-03-01, James Silverton > wrote:
>
> > Shopping results for dried fava beans
> > Don Enrique Habas Peladas Dried Fava Beans, 8-Ounce Bags (Pack of 12)
> > $30.29 - Amazon.com
> > Goya Dry Peeled Fava Beans - 16 oz.
> > $65.85 - Foodservicedirect.com
> > Habas (Peeled Fava Beans), Bulk, 16 oz
> > $8.94 - AmericanSpice.com

> Yikes!
>
> I may hafta learn to peel them myself. Thnx.
>
> nb

Perhaps grow them yourself. I can't imagine the beans are difficult to
grow, certainly other varieties of bean are very easy to grow nearly
everywhere.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2011 9:43 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 3/1/2011 10:30 AM, notbob wrote:
>> Got any falafel fans, here? I love the damn things.
>>
>> I made some from a box mix, last night. Better'n a poke in the eye
>> with a sharp stick, but not by much. I need to make some real one's
>> from scratch. I plan on following DedeMed's recipe:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBh5...eature=related
>>
>> I can get the dried chickpeas, but not the fava beans. Anyone know an
>> online source, preferrably already peeled? I need an FP, too. What
>> did ppl use b4 FPs? Meat grinders? I no longer have one of those,
>> either. No problem. I'll work on getting and FP while looking for
>> the favas.

> Fresh fava beans are ridiculously expensive since most of what you are
> buying is pod. Dried ones, especially peeled, aren't too great either:
>
> Shopping results for dried fava beans
> Don Enrique Habas Peladas Dried Fava Beans, 8-Ounce Bags (Pack of 12)
> $30.29 - Amazon.com
> Goya Dry Peeled Fava Beans - 16 oz.
> $65.85 - Foodservicedirect.com
> Habas (Peeled Fava Beans), Bulk, 16 oz
> $8.94 - AmericanSpice.com

Not that much difference in taste, at least to me, between favas and
limas. I have made falafel for years with limas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-01, George Shirley > wrote:

> Not that much difference in taste, at least to me, between favas and
> limas. I have made falafel for years with limas.

Now, that's a practical idea. Limas are dirt cheap, too.

From what I've read, falafel is extremely popular with most ME
cultures. I've also read one culture, jewish, prefer chickpeas while
the Islamic cultures prefer favas, or maybe it's the other way around.
I'll probably try an all chickpea version. It's only DedeMed who I've
heard of combining them. Hell, I'll try all options, as long as I can
add my own fresh parsely and spices.

The lima bean thing sounds like a great idea. I can't tell the diff,
either.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2011 12:59 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-03-01, George > wrote:
>
>> Not that much difference in taste, at least to me, between favas and
>> limas. I have made falafel for years with limas.

> Now, that's a practical idea. Limas are dirt cheap, too.
>
> From what I've read, falafel is extremely popular with most ME
> cultures. I've also read one culture, jewish, prefer chickpeas while
> the Islamic cultures prefer favas, or maybe it's the other way around.
> I'll probably try an all chickpea version. It's only DedeMed who I've
> heard of combining them. Hell, I'll try all options, as long as I can
> add my own fresh parsely and spices.
>
> The lima bean thing sounds like a great idea. I can't tell the diff,
> either.
>
> nb

Fava beans do taste a bit different from limas but they aren't worth the
massive price difference. I'm told frozen favas exist but I've never
been able to find them. I have looked in Fresh Fields as others have
advised.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

"Not": obvious change in "Reply To"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 7:46*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-03-01, James Silverton > wrote:
>
> > Shopping results for dried fava beans
> > Don Enrique Habas Peladas Dried Fava Beans, 8-Ounce Bags (Pack of 12)
> > $30.29 - Amazon.com
> > Goya Dry Peeled Fava Beans - 16 oz.
> > $65.85 - Foodservicedirect.com
> > Habas (Peeled Fava Beans), Bulk, 16 oz
> > $8.94 - AmericanSpice.com

> Yikes! *
>
> I may hafta learn to peel them myself. *Thnx.

No Italian or Middle Eastern grocery by you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

>Got any falafel fans, here? I love the damn things.

Raises hand

>I made some from a box mix, last night. Better'n a poke in the eye
>with a sharp stick, but not by much. I need to make some real one's
>from scratch. I plan on following DedeMed's recipe:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBh5...eature=related

>I can get the dried chickpeas, but not the fava beans. Anyone know an
>online source, preferrably already peeled?

Phipps ranch has dried favas, but the peeled ones are presently listed
as "out of stock".

> I need an FP, too. What did ppl use b4 FPs? Meat grinders?

Food mills. For the most part any historical recipe that presently uses a
food processor previously used a food mill.

Another option, besides falafel mix or making from scratch, is
frozen falafel which is usually from Egypt. You thaw it out and it
is ready to fry. Definitely better than the mixes.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JeanineAlyse wrote:
(it's a green salad, and the
> "sink" name comes about because I make so much that the perfect *bowl*
> big enough to toss it in is the kitchen sink).

Uh oh.. does Nancy Young know of this? She'll faint. LOL

Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-01, Janet > wrote:

> She didn't cook the soaked beans before blitzing them? (or did i miss
> it) so the only cooking was the frying?

That's correct. Just dried beans soaked overnight. She advises
against using any form of canned beans, which are cooked.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Mar 2011 15:30:55 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> I need an FP, too. What
> did ppl use b4 FPs? Meat grinders? I no longer have one of those,
> either. No problem. I'll work on getting and FP while looking for
> the favas.

I found frozen favas in a Mexican grocery store. Do you know of any?

You're such a guy. I tell you and tell you that you need a FP, but NO
you didn't. All of a sudden you decide you want to make falafel, so a
FP is suddenly at the top of the list. And men say that women are
fickle. LOL! No way, Jose. We're practical, men are fickle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 07:48:03 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse
> wrote:

> I only get the peeled
> beans when I'm in a hurry, but I like to peel the two big bags of them
> myself most times.

I did that once and said never again. It's a two step process that
I'm not willing to repeat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 10:48*am, sf > wrote:
> On 1 Mar 2011 15:30:55 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> > I need an FP, too. *What
> > did ppl use b4 FPs? *Meat grinders? *I no longer have one of those,
> > either. *No problem. *I'll work on getting and FP while looking for
> > the favas. *

> I found frozen favas in a Mexican grocery store. *Do you know of any?
>
> You're such a guy. *I tell you and tell you that you need a FP, but NO
> you didn't. *All of a sudden you decide you want to make falafel, so a
> FP is suddenly at the top of the list. *And men say that women are
> fickle. *LOL! *No way, Jose. *We're practical, men are fickle.

the Bedouin were known for carrying a camel-powered Cuisinart with
them on their journeys?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-01, sf > wrote:

> FP is suddenly at the top of the list. And men say that women are
> fickle. LOL! No way, Jose. We're practical, men are fickle.

I'm cheap! Besides, I can use the one from the lodge for free.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Not that much difference in taste, at least to me, between favas and
>> limas. I have made falafel for years with limas.

> Now, that's a practical idea. Limas are dirt cheap, too.
>
> From what I've read, falafel is extremely popular with most ME
> cultures. I've also read one culture, jewish, prefer chickpeas while
> the Islamic cultures prefer favas, or maybe it's the other way around.
> I'll probably try an all chickpea version. It's only DedeMed who I've

I first learned of falafel from a friend who later emigrated to Israel.
His were made with garbanzos/chickpeas. Maybe with lima beans it would
be technically called "falalel inspired".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-01, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> His were made with garbanzos/chickpeas. Maybe with lima beans it would
> be technically called "falalel inspired".

Or "soul" falafel!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:52:01 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> On Mar 1, 10:48*am, sf > wrote:
> > On 1 Mar 2011 15:30:55 GMT, notbob > wrote:
> >
> > > I need an FP, too. *What
> > > did ppl use b4 FPs? *Meat grinders? *I no longer have one of those,
> > > either. *No problem. *I'll work on getting and FP while looking for
> > > the favas. *

> > I found frozen favas in a Mexican grocery store. *Do you know of any?
> >
> > You're such a guy. *I tell you and tell you that you need a FP, but NO
> > you didn't. *All of a sudden you decide you want to make falafel, so a
> > FP is suddenly at the top of the list. *And men say that women are
> > fickle. *LOL! *No way, Jose. *We're practical, men are fickle.

> the Bedouin were known for carrying a camel-powered Cuisinart with
> them on their journeys?

I wonder if they carry all that grease needed for frying falafel too
or if it was city food. I have a masher from Italy that might just be
the ticket for NB. Maybe I should send it to him.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 1, 12:12*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:52:01 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
>

> > wrote:

> > > I found frozen favas in a Mexican grocery store. Do you know of any?

> > > You're such a guy. I tell you and tell you that you need a FP, but NO
> > > you didn't. All of a sudden you decide you want to make falafel, so a
> > > FP is suddenly at the top of the list. And men say that women are
> > > fickle. LOL! No way, Jose. We're practical, men are fickle.

> > the Bedouin were known for carrying a camel-powered Cuisinart with
> > them on their journeys?

> I wonder if they carry all that grease needed for frying falafel too
> or if it was city food. *I have a masher from Italy that might just be
> the ticket for NB. *Maybe I should send it to him.
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.- Hide quoted text -

Can you make decent falafel with out frying them in so much oil?
Anyone ever done an 'oven fry' on falafel that was successful??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> Maybe with lima beans it would be technically called "falafel inspired".

> Or "soul" falafel!

Americanized falafel!

Use pintos for Latin Amercianized falafel. Hmm, probably would not
work. Wrong flavor profile.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-01, ImStillMags > wrote:

> Can you make decent falafel with out frying them in so much oil?
> Anyone ever done an 'oven fry' on falafel that was successful??

The boxed falafel mix I used had an oven method on it. I didn't pay
attention.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Mar 2011 15:30:55 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Got any falafel fans, here? I love the damn things.
>
>I made some from a box mix, last night. Better'n a poke in the eye
>with a sharp stick, but not by much. I need to make some real one's
>from scratch. I plan on following DedeMed's recipe:
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBh5...eature=related
>
>I can get the dried chickpeas, but not the fava beans. Anyone know an
>online source, preferrably already peeled? I need an FP, too. What
>did ppl use b4 FPs? Meat grinders? I no longer have one of those,
>either. No problem. I'll work on getting and FP while looking for
>the favas.
>
>I did discover one thing about cooking falafels, last night. I can
>now tell if I have too much water in the mix. The oil becomes very
>bubbly and foamy. Add only enough water to make the falafels hold
>tegether and not foam during frying. Also, the falafels fall apart
>while frying, if too moist.
>
>Making two-spoon quenelles is a great technique. Makes them kinda
>flatish for pan frying in as little as 1/2" of oil. I'd make 4
>quenelles and place them on my pastry scraper, then when ready, slide
>them off the scraper into the hot oil. Worked great and doing 4 at a
>time didn't over cool the oil. Another trick, one I now use
>constantly, is a spray bottle of water, which I keep ready always.
>Great for adding that tblsp or tsp of water to dry doughs while
>working it.
>
>nb

I made some for the first time a couple of years ago.
Here's what I did.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...t-venture.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/4fbd5w4

I use the same recipe and really like it. I corrected my mistakes and
they turn out great now.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 12:29:55 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Mar 1, 12:12*pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:52:01 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
>>

>> > wrote:

>> > the Bedouin were known for carrying a camel-powered Cuisinart with
>> > them on their journeys?

>> I wonder if they carry all that grease needed for frying falafel too
>> or if it was city food. *I have a masher from Italy that might just be
>> the ticket for NB. *Maybe I should send it to him.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.- Hide quoted text -

>Can you make decent falafel with out frying them in so much oil?
>Anyone ever done an 'oven fry' on falafel that was successful??

I've cooked them in the oven and they turned out great.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>Kewl. I thought the one boxed mix I tried was fine, so I'm no falafel
>fanatic. I get falafel sandwiches from a place that's supposed to
>have fantastic falafels, but to be honest - there is very little
>difference between theirs and boxed to me. I hate frying, so I like
>theirs better because I don't have to fry the falafel myself.

Starting from the boxed mix, you can bake falafel balls. I do it
on silicone "parchment" paper otherwise they stick. Not
the same as fried but dead easy.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Another option, besides falafel mix or making from scratch, is
> frozen falafel which is usually from Egypt. You thaw it out and it
> is ready to fry. Definitely better than the mixes.

Having had falafel in Israel countless times, I've yet to have it here
and find it even half as good - that goes for restaurants, mixes, you
name it - just not the same.

That said, do you have a link to the frozen falafel from Egypt? I'd
give that a try.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Another option, besides falafel mix or making from scratch, is
>> frozen falafel which is usually from Egypt. You thaw it out and it
>> is ready to fry. Definitely better than the mixes.

>Having had falafel in Israel countless times, I've yet to have it here
>and find it even half as good - that goes for restaurants, mixes, you
>name it - just not the same.
>
>That said, do you have a link to the frozen falafel from Egypt?

Nope, you just have to look for it in the freezer section of your
local Halal store.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 18:43:24 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 13:05:00 -0800, wrote:
>

>> I made some for the first time a couple of years ago.
>> Here's what I did.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...t-venture.html

>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/4fbd5w4
>>
>> I use the same recipe and really like it. I corrected my mistakes and
>> they turn out great now.
>>

>Do you mean the method or the recipe had mistakes too? The place I go
>to makes falafel half the size of your resized ones.

If you'll notice I said I use the same recipe and corrected "my"
mistakes.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 19:40:50 -0800, wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 18:43:24 -0800, sf > wrote:
> >

> > >Do you mean the method or the recipe had mistakes too? The place I go
> > >to makes falafel half the size of your resized ones.

> > If you'll notice I said I use the same recipe and corrected "my"
> > mistakes.
> >

> Yes, I saw the recipe hadn't changed. Thanks for the clarification, I
> didn't know falafel contained bread crumbs.

It shouldn't! And smaller is better than larger, or you get over-
cooked surfaces with undercooked interiors. I like Mark Bittman's
recipe (and think fava beans are quite irrelevant unless you happen
to be particularly a fan of them...)

recipe from NY Times, April 4, 2007:

Time: 1 hour, plus 24 hours' soaking

1 3/4 cup dried chickpeas
2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
1 small onion, quartered
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
Scant teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
1 cup chopped parsley or cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn, for frying.

1. Put beans in a large bowl and cover with water by 3 or 4 inches; they
will triple in volume. Soak for 24 hours, adding water if needed to keep
beans submerged.

2. Drain beans well (reserve soaking water) and transfer to a food
processor. Add remaining ingredients except oil; pulse until minced but
not pureed, scraping sides of bowl down; add soaking water if necessary
to allow machine to do its work, but no more than 1 or 2 tablespoons.
Keep pulsing until mixture comes together. Taste, adding salt, pepper,
cayenne or lemon juice to taste.

3. Put oil in a large, deep saucepan to a depth of at least 2 inches;
more is better. The narrower the saucepan the less oil you need, but the
more oil you use the more patties you can cook at a time. Turn heat to
medium-high and heat oil to about 350 degrees.

(If you don't have a thermometer, just wait until the oil shimmers and
then add a pinch of the batter. When it sizzles immediately, sinks about
halfway to the bottom, then rises to the top, the oil is ready. If it
sinks and stays down, the oil is too cold; if it doesn't sink at all,
the oil is too hot.)

4. Scoop heaping tablespoons of batter and shape into balls or small
patties. Fry in batches, without crowding, until nicely browned, turning
as necessary; total cooking time will be less than 5 minutes. Serve hot
or at room temperature.

You can serve falafel in a pita with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and
other raw vegetables; or with a green salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Siemon > wrote:

>recipe from NY Times, April 4, 2007:

[snip]

> 1 cup chopped parsley or cilantro leaves

So is the green stuff in falafel balls typically parsley? As opposed
to it being green fava beans?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Siemon > wrote:

>I should note that Bittman's recipe makes for almost exactly the
>taste and texture I so fondly recall from the falafel carts at
>Bancroft and Telegraph a generation ago... YMMV :-)

Those were some good falafels. I suspect they were more "old world".

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 22:48:27 -0800, Michael Siemon
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>

> > Yes, I saw the recipe hadn't changed. Thanks for the clarification, I
> > didn't know falafel contained bread crumbs.

> It shouldn't! And smaller is better than larger, or you get over-
> cooked surfaces with undercooked interiors. I like Mark Bittman's
> recipe (and think fava beans are quite irrelevant unless you happen
> to be particularly a fan of them...)
>
> recipe from NY Times, April 4, 2007:

<recipe snipped>

Thanks, it looks very do-able!