Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default stuffed shells?

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 21:17:33 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "gloria.p" > wrote:
>
>> On 3/3/2011 4:17 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>

>> > One tip I've seen for filling manicotti shells is to use a large and
>> > heavy pastry bag with a large open tip (or maybe no tip). You should be
>> > fairly able to squeeze the filling into the cooked manicotti tube
>> > without making too much mess outside the tube.

>> OK, how do you avoid the mess that comes from filling the pastry bag?
>> I'm serious. I've never used a pastry bag/icing tube w/o losing ~half
>> the filling along the way. (OK, slight exaggeration, but not much.)
>>
>> gloria p

>What mess? Take a water glass (5" tall, maybe?) and put the bag in it
>for stability. Fold the bag down around the outside of the glass‹that
>will give you an open mouth to spoon the filling into.
>I have a 16" plastic-lined canvas bag that would be perfect for "piping" the filling
>into the manicotti tube.

Your write up sounds like the instructions on the side of a package of
condoms... 16" eh, wishful thinking?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:

>The only time I ever had a mess with a pastry bag was when it split open.
>The bag was very, very old though. I bought a couple of them probably 30
>years ago. A lightweight one and a heavier one. I kept using them until
>they got brittle. And then I still kept using them. And then... Well you
>can guess what came next.

That happened to the ones I used to keep in my wallet! hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:42:52 -0800, David Harmon >
wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 16:11:08 -0800 in rec.food.cooking, sf
> > wrote,
> >On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 14:37:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Oh. What I saw there was the Jumbo and they looked mighty large to me!

> >Maybe they do look big to you, but I've handled the box and they are
> >not the size I want.

> How big, in inches, are the shells you folks are looking for?

Joseph found them at Ratto's, which is across the Bay from me.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> On Mar 3, 3:17*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> > One tip I've seen for filling manicotti shells is to use a large and
> > heavy pastry bag with a large open tip (or maybe no tip). *You should be
> > fairly able to squeeze the filling into the cooked manicotti tube
> > without making too much mess outside the tube.
> >

> I was actually thinking of using a food bag with the corner cut off.
> (I don't have any pastry bags). So, that is definitely the way I will
> go. I am hoping to make them on Sunday or Monday. I have a cat show
> this weekend, so not much time to experiment.

That, too. I'd recommend double-bagging. IME, those bags won't take a
lot of pressure if your mixture is very thick. Let us know how it works
out for you.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> On Mar 3, 3:43*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> > OK, how do you avoid the mess that comes from filling the pastry bag?
> > I'm serious. *I've never used a pastry bag/icing tube w/o losing ~half
> > the filling along the way. *(OK, slight exaggeration, but not much.)
> >

> I've done icing at work. I roll the sides of the bag down, use a spoon
> to load the icing, then put the sides back up. I don't fill it full,
> and I twist the end so that it can't come back out.

Yup. Propping the bag in a glass helps, too, I think, when you're
filling the bag as you describe.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 09:05:42 -0800, David Harmon >
wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 17:08:52 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Melba's
> Jammin' > wrote,
> >I'm not nuts about lasagne; I think it's mostly noodles and not so much
> >filling.

> Am I missing something? Is there some reason you cannot use
> whatever ratio you want? Fool everybody, fill up the pan and then
> lay a noodle on top.

My favorite restaurant lasagna was an all ricotta filling with a
noodle wrapped around the outside and a meat sauce over everything.
Yum! The restaurant changed hands and the recipe eventually left the
menu as the new owner personalized things. It probably wasn't hard to
make, just expensive with all that ricotta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 17:08:52 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

> Maybe you've only had cheapskate church lady lasagna... you haven't
> had my decadant dago lasagna... I've never once in my life cooked
> anything with saving money involved

I think it's the thick lasagne noodles I don't much care fore, Sheldon.
I ate some exquisite lasagne in Tuscany -- freshly made sheets of pasta,
a thinnish sauce, some cheese. I'm not even sure there was any meat in
it. It was heavenly. I don't know from cheapskate church lady
lasagne--I don't eat it when it's offered. <g>

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
> > I'm not nuts about lasagne; I think it's mostly noodles and not so much
> > filling. I think manicotti has more filling per each than a serving of
> > lasagne. <shrug>

> Of course, you're free to make lasagne that's as meaty or cheesy as you
> like.
>

> Brian

As I just said to Sheldon, I think it's the typically-thick lasagne
noodles I'm not crazy about.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>
>> > I'm not nuts about lasagne; I think it's mostly noodles and not so much
>> > filling. I think manicotti has more filling per each than a serving of
>> > lasagne. <shrug>

>> Of course, you're free to make lasagne that's as meaty or cheesy as you
>> like.

> As I just said to Sheldon, I think it's the typically-thick lasagne
> noodles I'm not crazy about.

And you are, of course, free to make your noodles that are as thin as you
like. Also, I believe the ones that are designed for "no boil" applications
are thinner.

Brian
--
Day 757 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Current music playing: None.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 16:11:08 -0800 in rec.food.cooking, sf
> wrote,
>>On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 14:37:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh. What I saw there was the Jumbo and they looked mighty large to me!

>>Maybe they do look big to you, but I've handled the box and they are
>>not the size I want.

>How big, in inches, are the shells you folks are looking for?

So far no has said. The thing is that the size of uncooked dried
pasta shells hasn't a whole lot to do with the size of the cooked
product... cooked they will double in size, maybe more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>I'd recommend double-bagging. IME, those bags won't take a
>lot of pressure if your mixture is very thick.
>Let us know how it works out for you.

I certainly will... thanks for the tip, I mean the heads up, You know
what I mean. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 11:42:56 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> As I just said to Sheldon, I think it's the typically-thick lasagne
> noodles I'm not crazy about.

Try the no boil noodles. What a difference!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 11:42:56 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>
>> > I'm not nuts about lasagne; I think it's mostly noodles and not so much
>> > filling. I think manicotti has more filling per each than a serving of
>> > lasagne. <shrug>

>> Of course, you're free to make lasagne that's as meaty or cheesy as you
>> like.
>>

>> Brian

>As I just said to Sheldon, I think it's the typically-thick lasagne
>noodles I'm not crazy about.

There have been occasions when I wanted to be fancy schmancy so I made
seafood lasagna with crepes instead of noodles... instead of rolling
make layers... actually I was too lazy to make all those rolls
(canallonies)... no cheese with seafood, if you want cheese make it
with veggies... alter to suit, use any seafood or a combination
thereof, so long as it's fresh, shrimp, lobster, fin fish... I've made
this with fresh salmon too:
http://www.ehow.com/how_12744_make-seafood-crepes.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:54:30 -0600, "Default User"
> wrote:

>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>>> Of course, you're free to make lasagne that's as meaty or cheesy as you
>>> like.

>> As I just said to Sheldon, I think it's the typically-thick lasagne
>> noodles I'm not crazy about.

>And you are, of course, free to make your noodles that are as thin as you
>like. Also, I believe the ones that are designed for "no boil" applications
>are thinner.

Use spring roll wrappers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 4:10*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 3/2/2011 2:20 AM, wrote:
>
> > That explains it. This area probably has few Italians. We have a lot
> > of Hispanics, Asians, African Americans, and Mid East (mostly from
> > India, but also Bangladesh and a few other countries). I know of
> > couple larger Asian markets and Hispanic markets within 10 miles, but
> > I have never seen an Italian market.

> You don't have any white people?

Of course we do, but no clear group of Italians, English, European,
etc. Most of the white people around here have ancestors who have been
here a long time.

Technically, my ancestors are Dutch, German, and Irish. But none of
them came from another country in the last 200 years, so I don't
consider myself anything but American. I'm sure there are people of
Italian decent, but I doubt many of them (at least in my area) have
actually been to Italy or know any close relatives from Italy. So,
they probably aren't cooking a lot of real Italian food, nor is there
a need for an Italian grocery store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 12:15:06 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> On Mar 3, 4:10*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> > On 3/2/2011 2:20 AM, wrote:
> >
> > > That explains it. This area probably has few Italians. We have a lot
> > > of Hispanics, Asians, African Americans, and Mid East (mostly from
> > > India, but also Bangladesh and a few other countries). I know of
> > > couple larger Asian markets and Hispanic markets within 10 miles, but
> > > I have never seen an Italian market.

> > You don't have any white people?

> Of course we do, but no clear group of Italians, English, European,
> etc. Most of the white people around here have ancestors who have been
> here a long time.
>
> Technically, my ancestors are Dutch, German, and Irish. But none of
> them came from another country in the last 200 years, so I don't
> consider myself anything but American. I'm sure there are people of
> Italian decent, but I doubt many of them (at least in my area) have
> actually been to Italy or know any close relatives from Italy. So,
> they probably aren't cooking a lot of real Italian food, nor is there
> a need for an Italian grocery store.

It's usually that way by the third generation. Definitely by the
fourth. The closest people I have from somewhere else are the great
grandparents on my father's side. We lived right next door to Dad's
mother when I grew up, but what little I know about Swedish culture
mostly came from the internet. The only food I remember my
grandmother making that was remotely Swedish was Swedish pancakes and
sweet & sour cucumber salad.... although we did take a field trip to
Chicago every year and had a smorgasbord lunch in the Swedish Club's
dining room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 12:15:06 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Mar 3, 4:10*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
>> On 3/2/2011 2:20 AM, wrote:
>>
>> > That explains it. This area probably has few Italians. We have a lot
>> > of Hispanics, Asians, African Americans, and Mid East (mostly from
>> > India, but also Bangladesh and a few other countries). I know of
>> > couple larger Asian markets and Hispanic markets within 10 miles, but
>> > I have never seen an Italian market.

>> You don't have any white people?

>Of course we do, but no clear group of Italians, English, European,
>etc. Most of the white people around here have ancestors who have been
>here a long time.
>
>Technically, my ancestors are Dutch, German, and Irish. But none of
>them came from another country in the last 200 years, so I don't
>consider myself anything but American. I'm sure there are people of
>Italian decent, but I doubt many of them (at least in my area) have
>actually been to Italy or know any close relatives from Italy. So,
>they probably aren't cooking a lot of real Italian food, nor is there
>a need for an Italian grocery store.

Occasionally even I am at a loss for words.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
David Harmon > wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 17:08:52 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Melba's
> Jammin' > wrote,
> >I'm not nuts about lasagne; I think it's mostly noodles and not so much
> >filling.

> Am I missing something?

I don't know.

> Is there some reason you cannot use whatever ratio you want? Fool
> everybody, fill up the pan and then lay a noodle on top.

I don't object to layering; in fact, I think that's part of the
definition (which, to me, means more than one noodle and likely at least
three). I'm not fond of the thick pasta. If you like it, that's fine.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 09:28:17 -0800 in rec.food.cooking, sf
> wrote,
>On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:42:52 -0800, David Harmon >
>wrote:
>>
>> How big, in inches, are the shells you folks are looking for?
>>

>Joseph found them at Ratto's, which is across the Bay from me.
>Thanks.

Is there some reason you are refusing to tell how big they are?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 07:51:18 -0800, David Harmon >
wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 09:28:17 -0800 in rec.food.cooking, sf
> > wrote,
> >On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:42:52 -0800, David Harmon >
> >wrote:
> >>
> >> How big, in inches, are the shells you folks are looking for?
> >>

> >Joseph found them at Ratto's, which is across the Bay from me.
> >Thanks.

> Is there some reason you are refusing to tell how big they are?

1. It's been a long time and I didn't measure them to begin with
2. Apparently Joseph as found them across the Bay.

Didn't you read his post?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 17:48:32 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Melba's
Jammin' > wrote,
>I don't object to layering; in fact, I think that's part of the
>definition (which, to me, means more than one noodle and likely at least
>three). I'm not fond of the thick pasta. If you like it, that's fine.

I can see that. Yes, the ordinary thickness is OK to me, but
thinner might be nice. I wonder if some other brand might be made
thinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 15:57:06 -0800, David Harmon >
wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 17:48:32 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Melba's
> Jammin' > wrote,
> >I don't object to layering; in fact, I think that's part of the
> >definition (which, to me, means more than one noodle and likely at least
> >three). I'm not fond of the thick pasta. If you like it, that's fine.

> I can see that. Yes, the ordinary thickness is OK to me, but
> thinner might be nice. I wonder if some other brand might be made
> thinner.

Barilla "no boil" is thinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> Ok, sure. No Safeway, or any other supermarket, in the Bay Area
> carries large stuffable pasta shells.

> You win, Barbara.
> Happy now?
>

> Ahhhh the Bay Area. I can't imagine a more culturally homogenous place
> anywhere.

Once again, I live 50 miles north of sf. We have a Safeway close to me.
I needed some things, so I took a peek at the pasta there. They have
JUMBO (large isn't big enough for stuffing) Barilla shells on sale, 2
bags for US$4.00. Nothing larger.

I'm going to have to think about trying those again. It's been a long
time.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message

> > I said at the top of the thread that it looks like the size I want is
> > not being made in or distributed to the US and Barilla's jumbo is
> > smaller than the size I was looking for.
> >

> Oh. What I saw there was the Jumbo and they looked mighty large to me!

Well, I didn't think that they looked very large, until I remembered how
much larger they get when cooked!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 21:37:05 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > I said at the top of the thread that it looks like the size I want is
>> > not being made in or distributed to the US and Barilla's jumbo is
>> > smaller than the size I was looking for.
>> >

>> Oh. What I saw there was the Jumbo and they looked mighty large to me!

>Well, I didn't think that they looked very large, until I [READ HERE) remembered how
>much larger they get when cooked!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> On Mar 1, 6:42*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> > In the absence of shells, would you consider stuffing manicotti (large
> > tubes) instead of shells? *The idea is the same. *Do a Google Image
> > search.
> >

> Absolutely! I will look again, but I didn't see any manicotti noodles
> when I looked.

They are right next to the jumbo shells.

:-)

You aren't short, are you? They seem to put them on the top shelf.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> You could use fresh lasagna or cannelloni noodles, if you can find
> them. Put a blob of filling on one half, flop the other half over and
> seal.

I've never made these, but they look attractive and tasty:

http://www.google.com/images?q=lasag...s=org.mozilla:
en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_LFzTdi
2CZCasAPZl6itDw&ved=0CFoQsAQ&biw=1624&bih=874

Lay the lasagna noodle out, spread filling on it and roll it up. Bake.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 08:13:17 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>

> > You could use fresh lasagna or cannelloni noodles, if you can find
> > them. Put a blob of filling on one half, flop the other half over and
> > seal.

> I've never made these, but they look attractive and tasty:
>
> http://www.google.com/images?q=lasag...s=org.mozilla:
> en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_LFzTdi
> 2CZCasAPZl6itDw&ved=0CFoQsAQ&biw=1624&bih=874
>
> Lay the lasagna noodle out, spread filling on it and roll it up. Bake.

I haven't done rolled them up and stood them on end in a long time.
It's a pretty presentation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 08:09:47 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

> You aren't short, are you? They seem to put them on the top shelf.

They were on the top shelf at the store I was in yesterday too.

Member

Shells are more primal. They hark back to days when only primitive,sea creatures inhabited the earth.
__________________
Restaurant Leeds

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 10:38:32 +0000, spurmsperm
> wrote:

> Shells are more primal. They hark back to days when only primitive,sea
> creatures inhabited the earth.

Have you ever stuffed Lumaconi?

Stuffed shells with meat? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 38 04-05-2014 12:28 PM
Stuffed shells. Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 69 09-03-2012 05:08 PM
Stuffed Shells, a success! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 7 16-02-2012 05:52 AM
stuffed shells sf General Cooking 9 14-05-2006 02:35 PM
Stuffed shells? sarah bennett General Cooking 16 15-10-2005 07:01 PM