Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default what is the difference between

Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?
Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?
>Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

Never heard of strained tomatoes... you're a tomato with a strained
brain... and a 'crushed' cranium.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?
> Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

Strained tomatoes sound like something you would feed a baby. Except that
babies don't eat tomatoes. I've never heard of them.

The puree is thicker than the sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> >Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?
> >Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

> Never heard of strained tomatoes... you're a tomato with a strained
> brain... and a 'crushed' cranium.

I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.

I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:

Whole
Stewed
Crushed
Pureed
Sauce

From least to most processed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> sf wrote:
>> >
>> >Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?
>> >Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

>> Never heard of strained tomatoes... you're a tomato with a strained
>> brain... and a 'crushed' cranium.

>I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/200...d_tomatoes.php

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> > sf wrote:
> > >
> > >Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?
> > >Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.

Even if you and I haven't heard of them, Google has:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/488428

Appears to be pureed, often from Italy.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?
>>> Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

>> Never heard of strained tomatoes... you're a tomato with a strained
>> brain... and a 'crushed' cranium.

> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.
>
> I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
>
> Whole
> Stewed
> Crushed
> Pureed
> Sauce
>
> From least to most processed.

What no "Juice"... Requires a strainer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nad R wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote:
> > Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> Never heard of strained tomatoes... you're a tomato with a strained
> >> brain... and a 'crushed' cranium.

> > I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.
> >
> > I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
> >
> > Whole
> > Stewed
> > Crushed
> > Pureed
> > Sauce
> >
> > From least to most processed.

> What no "Juice"... Requires a strainer.

Yea, there is "diced" in there somewhere as well, probably between
stewed and crushed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 03:21:59 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

>"Pete C." > wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Never heard of strained tomatoes... you're a tomato with a strained
>>> brain... and a 'crushed' cranium.

>> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.
>>
>> I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
>>
>> Whole
>> Stewed
>> Crushed
>> Pureed
>> Sauce
>>
>> From least to most processed.

>What no "Juice"... Requires a strainer.

Tomato juice is made from tomato juice concentrate, aka tomato paste.
Anyone who actually buys tomato juice is an idiot, they're paying a
premium for containers, water, shipping, and storage when they can be
buying cans of tomato paste on sale and mixing it with water at
home... it's exactly the same product. Um, tomato soup the same.
Ketchup is made from tomato paste too... read the label... in the
industry they call it concentrate, paste doesn't sound as palatable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2011 9:44 PM, Pete C. wrote:

> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?
>>> Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

>> Never heard of strained tomatoes... you're a tomato with a strained
>> brain... and a 'crushed' cranium.

> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.
>
> I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
>
> Whole
> Stewed
> Crushed
> Pureed
> Sauce
>
> From least to most processed.

And diced and paste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> sf wrote:

>> >Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?
>> >Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

>> Never heard of strained tomatoes... you're a tomato with a strained
>> brain... and a 'crushed' cranium.

>I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.

>I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
>
>Whole
>Stewed
>Crushed
>Pureed
>Sauce

>From least to most processed.

There's also diced in additioned to strained.

http://www.vitacost.com/Pomi-Straine...u=024321424208

I do not think they're significantly different from pureed.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Tomato juice is made from tomato juice concentrate, aka tomato paste.
> Anyone who actually buys tomato juice is an idiot, they're paying a
> premium for containers, water, shipping, and storage when they can be
> buying cans of tomato paste on sale and mixing it with water at
> home... it's exactly the same product. Um, tomato soup the same.
> Ketchup is made from tomato paste too... read the label... in the
> industry they call it concentrate, paste doesn't sound as palatable.

Sadly mistaken. I do not buy my tomato juice. I make my own canned tomato
juice directly from fresh off the vine tomatoes that uses a Victoria
Strainer. Canned tomato sauce and paste is made from tomato juice boiled
down. I do this every year in September.

Your reasoning is also flawed. In the stores tomato juice is often cheaper
than tomato paste, over buying paste and add water for the same quantity.
Most fruits in it's natural juice taste better than adding tap chlorinated
water to tomato paste, so it is not the same product. Mentioned also, just
wait for paste to go on sale? Why not wait for tomato juice to go on sale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope > wrote:
> Pete C. > wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Never heard of strained tomatoes... you're a tomato with a strained
>>> brain... and a 'crushed' cranium.

>> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.

>> I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
>>
>> Whole
>> Stewed
>> Crushed
>> Pureed
>> Sauce

>> From least to most processed.

> There's also diced in additioned to strained.
>
> http://www.vitacost.com/Pomi-Straine...u=024321424208
>
> I do not think they're significantly different from pureed.
>

> Steve

Strained tomatoes does not have seeds or pulp in them. Seeds over time
gives the canned tomatoes a bitter taste. Pureed tomatoes will have the
seeds and pulp in them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nad R > wrote:
> Steve Pope > wrote:
>> Pete C. > wrote:

>>> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.

>>> I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
>>>
>>> Whole
>>> Stewed
>>> Crushed
>>> Pureed
>>> Sauce

>>> From least to most processed.

>> There's also diced in additioned to strained.
>>
>> http://www.vitacost.com/Pomi-Straine...u=024321424208
>>
>> I do not think they're significantly different from pureed.
>>

>> Steve

> Strained tomatoes does not have seeds or pulp in them. Seeds over time
> gives the canned tomatoes a bitter taste. Pureed tomatoes will have the
> seeds and pulp in them.

A CORRECTION on my part. Seeds and Skins removed... Not pulp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nad R > wrote:

>Strained tomatoes does not have seeds or pulp in them. Seeds over time
>gives the canned tomatoes a bitter taste. Pureed tomatoes will have the
>seeds and pulp in them.

Right, thanks.

I am the sort who makes tomato sauce using the entire tomato;
I later pick out large segments of skin, but other than that leave
everything in.

(In recent years, we'd been freezing Early Girl tomatos from peak
season and then using them throughout the year to make pasta sauce
and a few other dishes. This works really well.)

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 7:55*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 03:21:59 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
>

> > wrote:

> >> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.

> >> I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:

> >> Whole
> >> Stewed
> >> Crushed
> >> Pureed
> >> Sauce

> >> From least to most processed.

> >What no "Juice"... *Requires a strainer.

> Tomato juice is made from tomato juice concentrate, aka tomato paste.

Crap tomato juice is made like that. Good tomato juice -- like Heinz
from Canada, and several private label brands -- is not.

> Anyone who actually buys tomato juice is an idiot, they're paying a
> premium for containers, water, shipping, and storage when they can be
> buying cans of tomato paste on sale and mixing it with water at
> home... it's exactly the same product.

People who do that have TIAD -- like brokelyn
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 20:44:14 -0600, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> > sf wrote:
> > >
> > >Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?
> > >Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

> > Never heard of strained tomatoes... you're a tomato with a strained
> > brain... and a 'crushed' cranium.

> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.

I haven't opened the box yet to see. It's Pomi brand, but the picture
on the box looks like it's between crushed and sauce.

> I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
>
> Whole
> Stewed
> Crushed
> Pureed
> Sauce
>
> From least to most processed.

Makes sense, thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 21:53:55 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote:
>

> >Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> Never heard of strained tomatoes... you're a tomato with a strained
> >> brain... and a 'crushed' cranium.

> >I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.

> http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/200...d_tomatoes.php

Informative article... now I know what it is - thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 04:38:36 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

> Strained tomatoes does not have seeds or pulp in them. Seeds over time
> gives the canned tomatoes a bitter taste. Pureed tomatoes will have the
> seeds and pulp in them.

I'm not familiar with a commercial pureed tomato product. Would that
be AKA "crushed"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.
>
> I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
>
> Whole
> Stewed
> Crushed
> Pureed
> Sauce
>
> From least to most processed.

tomato sauce has other ingredients in it also.
Never heard of "strained" either, but it isn't too hard to imagine what
they are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

>> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.

> Even if you and I haven't heard of them, Google has:
>
> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/488428
>
> Appears to be pureed, often from Italy.

Hey! I've purchased those before and never thought to call them
strained. I just though of them as crushed tomatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 9:55*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 03:21:59 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
>

> > wrote:

> >> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.

> >> I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:

> >> Whole
> >> Stewed
> >> Crushed
> >> Pureed
> >> Sauce

> >> From least to most processed.

> >What no "Juice"... *Requires a strainer.

> Tomato juice is made from tomato juice concentrate, aka tomato paste.
> Anyone who actually buys tomato juice is an idiot, they're paying a
> premium for containers, water, shipping, and storage when they can be
> buying cans of tomato paste on sale and mixing it with water at
> home... it's exactly the same product. *Um, tomato soup the same.
> Ketchup is made from tomato paste too... read the label... in the
> industry they call it concentrate, paste doesn't sound as palatable.

Yes in the commercial sense it's "tomato paste" but I don't ever buy
tomato paste, I find it bitter and I don't eat a lot of tomato based
foods so it's a waste to me. I like to get a can of tomato juice for
the odd pitcher of Bloody Mary's, I splash a bit in my pot roast, I
buy diced and/or crushed tomatoes for chili and the like, but I don't
find much use for cans of tomato paste. Guess I just don't care for
it. *shrug*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Pete C. wrote:
>
>> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.
>>
>> I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
>>
>> Whole
>> Stewed
>> Crushed
>> Pureed
>> Sauce
>>
>> From least to most processed.

> tomato sauce has other ingredients in it also.
> Never heard of "strained" either, but it isn't too hard to imagine what
> they are.

Tomato sauce is cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> > sf wrote:
> > >
> > >Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?
> > >Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

> > Never heard of strained tomatoes... you're a tomato with a strained
> > brain... and a 'crushed' cranium.

> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.
>
> I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
>
> Whole
> Stewed
> Crushed
> Pureed
> Sauce
>
> From least to most processed.

You forgot diced and petite diced, Pete. :-) And paste.
--
Barb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
>
> > I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.
> >
> > I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
> >
> > Whole
> > Stewed
> > Crushed
> > Pureed
> > Sauce
> >
> > From least to most processed.

> tomato sauce has other ingredients in it also.
> Never heard of "strained" either, but it isn't too hard to imagine what
> they are.

I wonder if it just means drained.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 04:47:59 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

>Nad R > wrote:
>> Steve Pope > wrote:

>>> There's also diced in additioned to strained.
>>>
>>> http://www.vitacost.com/Pomi-Straine...u=024321424208
>>>
>>> I do not think they're significantly different from pureed.
>>>

>>> Steve

>> Strained tomatoes does not have seeds or pulp in them. Seeds over time
>> gives the canned tomatoes a bitter taste. Pureed tomatoes will have the
>> seeds and pulp in them.

>A CORRECTION on my part. Seeds and Skins removed... Not pulp.

The seeds and skins are removed from pureed, sauce, most crushed, and
paste... in the US they just don't call it "strained"... and in fact
they're not actually strained, seeds and skins are removed with those
cone type food mills, only far larger in commercial operations.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 06:26:09 -0500, "dejablues"
> wrote:

>"Goomba" > wrote in message
>> Pete C. wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.
>>>
>>> I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
>>>
>>> Whole
>>> Stewed
>>> Crushed
>>> Pureed
>>> Sauce
>>>
>>> From least to most processed.

>> tomato sauce has other ingredients in it also.
>> Never heard of "strained" either, but it isn't too hard to imagine what
>> they are.

>Tomato sauce is cooked.

When you make it at home, but the canned tomato sauce you buy is not
cooked, it's minimally heated. Most all canned/bottled tomato
products are made from tomato concentrate (paste). Commercial tomato
paste is not cooked, it's minimally heated to ensure food safety
during sealing. Tomato paste is made by extracting water under
vacuum... there are web sites that explain the process and how
expensive the machinery. But many food products have their water
removed to save the high cost of transporting, um water. It costs
much less to transport tomato paste and then reconstitute it at the
local distribution centers. Many of those huge sleek refrigerated
stainless steel tanks one sees traveling the interstates/RRs are
filled with tomato paste on their way to local canneries/bottlers.

There are web sites with more detailed explanation of this old topic
that has been discussed here often over many years but I don't have
time today to research once again:
http://www.tomatomachinery.com/1_tomato_mango.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 23:46:01 -0800 (PST), projectile vomit chick
> wrote:

>On Feb 27, 9:55*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 03:21:59 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >What no "Juice"... *Requires a strainer.

>> Tomato juice is made from tomato juice concentrate, aka tomato paste.
>> Anyone who actually buys tomato juice is an idiot, they're paying a
>> premium for containers, water, shipping, and storage when they can be
>> buying cans of tomato paste on sale and mixing it with water at
>> home... it's exactly the same product. *Um, tomato soup the same.
>> Ketchup is made from tomato paste too... read the label... in the
>> industry they call it concentrate, paste doesn't sound as palatable.

>Yes in the commercial sense it's "tomato paste" but I don't ever buy
>tomato paste, I find it bitter and I don't eat a lot of tomato based
>foods so it's a waste to me. I like to get a can of tomato juice for
>the odd pitcher of Bloody Mary's, I splash a bit in my pot roast, I
>buy diced and/or crushed tomatoes for chili and the like, but I don't
>find much use for cans of tomato paste. Guess I just don't care for
>it. *shrug*

Tomato paste is bitter because it's concentrated... when reconstituted
it's no longer bitter. Frozen OJ concentrate is bitter too until
reconstituted. For the occasional bloody mary buying tomato juice is
fine but for those who use a lot of tomato juice, for
drinking/cooking, make your own from paste and report back.... I make
tomato soup from paste very often, at least once a week I make tomato
egg drop from paste, not at all bitter, in fact better tomato taste
than any other. I don't have time now but if you go to the Sacramento
tomato juice site it clearly says made from tomato concentrate, if you
happen to have a can says so in its label too... Heinz ketchup says
made from tomato concentrate right on its label. It's not possible to
make fresh tomato tasting products at home... any one claims they make
tomato paste at home is fulla doodoo... reducing watery smushed
tomatoes over heat in a pot on your stove is NOT tomato paste, it's
tomato sludge. Many years ago folks used to rehydrate sun dried
tomatoes but that no more tastes like tomatoes than raisins taste like
grapes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz blathered:

>> Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?
>> Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

> Never heard of strained tomatoes... you're a tomato with a strained
> brain... and a 'crushed' cranium.

So you are ignorant because you've never heard of strained tomatoes, and you
think your ignorance reflects badly on sf? No, it doesn't, it just means
that you're ignorant and a ****head.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 06:26:09 -0500, "dejablues"
> wrote:

> "Goomba" > wrote in message
> > Pete C. wrote:
> >
> >> I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.
> >>
> >> I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
> >>
> >> Whole
> >> Stewed
> >> Crushed
> >> Pureed
> >> Sauce
> >>
> >> From least to most processed.

> > tomato sauce has other ingredients in it also.
> > Never heard of "strained" either, but it isn't too hard to imagine what
> > they are.

> Tomato sauce is cooked.

I thought all of them were cooked in some degree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?

Texture - How chopped they are.

> Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

Depends on how exacting you are in your recipes. A lot of the time I am
a "cook it by how it sounds" cook doing impromptu dishes and I don't use
them differently. A good technical chef would use them differently.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:34:36 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?

> Texture - How chopped they are.

Thanks!

> > Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

> Depends on how exacting you are in your recipes. A lot of the time I am
> a "cook it by how it sounds" cook doing impromptu dishes and I don't use
> them differently. A good technical chef would use them differently.

Those Pomi strained tomatoes are *expensive*, over $3.50 for the box.
I also bought a can of San Marzano tomatoes that were breathtakingly
expensive too at $4.50, so I will find "special" recipes to use them
in... and not just any old tomato sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 06:26:09 -0500, "dejablues"
> > wrote:

> > > tomato sauce has other ingredients in it also.
> > > Never heard of "strained" either, but it isn't too hard to imagine what
> > > they are.

> > Tomato sauce is cooked.
> >

> I thought all of them were cooked in some degree.

All are, cooking is inherent to the canning process.

I believe the whole, diced, crushed and the like are cooked the least,
just the canning process heating. The stewed would be cooked more as
would the sauce. Paste would be cooked the most.

As for other ingredients in sauce, that isn't always true. Basic tomato
sauce doesn't have anything extra, but many varieties of sauce are
"Italian style" and have seasonings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 4:14*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:34:36 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
>
> > wrote:
> > sf wrote:

> > > Strained tomatoes, tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes?

> > Texture - How chopped they are.

> Thanks!
>

> > > Are strained tomatoes used any differently from pureed?

> > Depends on how exacting you are in your recipes. *A lot of the time I am
> > a "cook it by how it sounds" cook doing impromptu dishes and I don't use
> > them differently. *A good technical chef would use them differently.

> Those Pomi strained tomatoes are *expensive*, over $3.50 for the box.
> I also bought a can of San Marzano tomatoes that were breathtakingly
> expensive too at $4.50, so I will find "special" recipes to use them
> in... and not just any old tomato sauce.
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

I had to use some "oh whatever" tomatoes Sat to make tomato soup.
They were nasty and sour. I think I asam not used to so much
difference from one bransd to another, because although I may have a
fave brand, the others are OK, just not quite as good to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Pete C." > wrote:
>
> > Brooklyn1 wrote:

> > > Never heard of strained tomatoes... you're a tomato with a strained
> > > brain... and a 'crushed' cranium.

> > I haven't heard of them either. Possibly a misread of "stewed" tomatoes.
> >
> > I think the canned tomato spectrum runs something like:
> >
> > Whole
> > Stewed
> > Crushed
> > Pureed
> > Sauce
> >
> > From least to most processed.

> You forgot diced and petite diced, Pete. :-) And paste.

Whole
Stewed
Diced
Petite diced
Crushed
Pureed
Strained
Sauce
Paste

There are probably still more varieties.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 10:32*pm, Nad R > wrote:
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
> > Tomato juice is made from tomato juice concentrate, aka tomato paste.
> > Anyone who actually buys tomato juice is an idiot, they're paying a
> > premium for containers, water, shipping, and storage when they can be
> > buying cans of tomato paste on sale and mixing it with water at
> > home... it's exactly the same product. *Um, tomato soup the same.
> > Ketchup is made from tomato paste too... read the label... in the
> > industry they call it concentrate, paste doesn't sound as palatable.

> Sadly mistaken. I do not buy my tomato juice. I make my own canned tomato
> juice directly from fresh off the vine tomatoes that uses a Victoria
> Strainer. Canned tomato sauce and paste is made from tomato juice boiled
> down. I do this every year in September.
>
> Your reasoning is also flawed. In the stores tomato juice is often cheaper
> than tomato paste, over buying paste and add water for the same quantity.
> Most fruits in it's natural juice taste better than adding tap chlorinated
> water to tomato paste, so it is not the same product. Mentioned also, just
> wait for paste to go on sale? Why not wait for tomato juice to go on sale..

Sheldon is blowing out his ass again. Not all brands are
reconstituted.
http://www.livestrong.com/thedailypl...m-concentrate/

> --
> Enjoy Life... Nad R