Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sweet potato french fries?

I heard these mentioned yesterday on the radio as fare at a restaurant. Do
they taste much different than baked sweet potatoes, which I'm not all that
fond of? Can you make them as oven fries, as you can regular potatoes,
instead of french frying (which I don't do).

TIA

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 17:18:03 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 26-Feb-2011, KenK > wrote:
>
>> I heard these mentioned yesterday on the radio as fare at a restaurant. Do
>>
>> they taste much different than baked sweet potatoes, which I'm not all
>> that
>> fond of? Can you make them as oven fries, as you can regular potatoes,
>> instead of french frying (which I don't do).
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Ken

>While they still taste like sweet potato, they are a bit different than
>baked. Texture is the big difference from a baked; much as a french fry
>differs from a baked potato. I make them in a 325F oven; sliced as thick
>fries, tossed with vegetable oil and a bit of cayenne, sprinkled with salt
>immediately after removing from oven. Baked for about 40 minutes, turned at
>least once; slightly crispy and carmelized sides.

I use 450F-- but the same process. [rosemary is usually my
spice-of-choice instead of cayenne] Sweet potatoes- young potatoes-
carrots- string beans. . . all great. [I'm tempted to try turnips
next week]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 9:54*am, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 26-Feb-2011, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>
> > I use 450F-- but the same process. [rosemary is usually my
> > spice-of-choice instead of cayenne] *Sweet potatoes- young potatoes-
> > carrots- string beans. . . *all great. [I'm tempted to try turnips
> > next week]

> > Jim

> I probably should have pointed out that I use the lower oven temp because I
> use dark, non-stick, cookie-sheets which tend to burn things unless the temp
> is lowered by at least 25 degrees F.

Excellent reminder for folks like me that forget the lower temp need
for dark pans, vice light or glass. Thanks for mentioning, Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Feb 2011 16:59:26 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> I heard these mentioned yesterday on the radio as fare at a restaurant. Do
> they taste much different than baked sweet potatoes, which I'm not all that
> fond of? Can you make them as oven fries, as you can regular potatoes,
> instead of french frying (which I don't do).

Sounds like you need to test the waters first and order some sweet
potato fries to see if you like them before you go to the effort of
making them.

I love sweet potato fries, but I also love sweet potatoes any old way.
In fact, I posted a sweet potato cake recipe last night that I plan to
try. Haven't tried oven frying them, but they are so soft when baked
so I don't have confidence that they'll turn out well as oven fries. I
bet they need the deep fryer to develop a crust. Who knows? Maybe
they are lightly coated in rice flour or cornstarch first also.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 12:24:07 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 17:18:03 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>

> >On 26-Feb-2011, KenK > wrote:
> >
> >> I heard these mentioned yesterday on the radio as fare at a restaurant. Do
> >>
> >> they taste much different than baked sweet potatoes, which I'm not all
> >> that
> >> fond of? Can you make them as oven fries, as you can regular potatoes,
> >> instead of french frying (which I don't do).
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> Ken

> >While they still taste like sweet potato, they are a bit different than
> >baked. Texture is the big difference from a baked; much as a french fry
> >differs from a baked potato. I make them in a 325F oven; sliced as thick
> >fries, tossed with vegetable oil and a bit of cayenne, sprinkled with salt
> >immediately after removing from oven. Baked for about 40 minutes, turned at
> >least once; slightly crispy and carmelized sides.

> I use 450F-- but the same process. [rosemary is usually my
> spice-of-choice instead of cayenne] Sweet potatoes- young potatoes-
> carrots- string beans. . . all great. [I'm tempted to try turnips
> next week]

While that's all absolutely delicious, you're talking about roasting.
He wants to know about oven fries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Feb 2011 16:59:26 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>I heard these mentioned yesterday on the radio as fare at a restaurant. Do
>they taste much different than baked sweet potatoes, which I'm not all that
>fond of? Can you make them as oven fries, as you can regular potatoes,
>instead of french frying (which I don't do).
>
>TIA
>
>Ken

Yes, you can make them as oven fries and they are wonderful dipped in
some chipotle mayonnaise.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> I heard these mentioned yesterday on the radio as fare at a restaurant. Do
> they taste much different than baked sweet potatoes, which I'm not all that
> fond of? Can you make them as oven fries, as you can regular potatoes,
> instead of french frying (which I don't do).

Have you had both baked potato and french fried potato? If you like the
french fries better then you can already imagine that french fried sweet
potato tastes better than baked sweet potato.

baked versus french fried white potato

same pattern

baked versus french fried sweet potato

If you actively dislike sweet potatos doing them french fried is
unlikely to help. If you are so-so about them french frying them will
probably move them up to okay. If you are okay about baked, french
fried will probably move them up to kinda nice. And so on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/02/2011 5:12 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Have you had both baked potato and french fried potato? If you like the
> french fries better then you can already imagine that french fried sweet
> potato tastes better than baked sweet potato.

I am not a fan of sweet potatoes. I had them once that they weren't
unpalatable. Then about a year ago I had them deep fried.....
delicious. I am willing to try them oven fried but I have spent so many
years avoiding the produce section where the sweet potatoes that I
usually go by them without even looking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 12:24*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> I use 450F-- but the same process. [rosemary is usually my
> spice-of-choice instead of cayenne] *

Cumin is my choice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
>I heard these mentioned yesterday on the radio as fare at a restaurant. Do
> they taste much different than baked sweet potatoes, which I'm not all
> that
> fond of? Can you make them as oven fries, as you can regular potatoes,
> instead of french frying (which I don't do).
>
> TIA

I have tried them. Personally I can't stand most sweet potatoes. I can eat
the fries. I can eat maybe one or two. They don't make me gag. Do I want
to eat them? Not really! Would I order them in a restaurant? No.

They came out with them in school when daughter was still buying her
lunches. So that would be 6 years ago. She raved about them. They were
touted as being healthier than regular French fries. Not really sure that
they are, although they might have more of some vitamins in them. Daughter
does like to order them in restaurants when they offer the choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On 26 Feb 2011 16:59:26 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
>> I heard these mentioned yesterday on the radio as fare at a restaurant.
>> Do
>> they taste much different than baked sweet potatoes, which I'm not all
>> that
>> fond of? Can you make them as oven fries, as you can regular potatoes,
>> instead of french frying (which I don't do).
>>

> Sounds like you need to test the waters first and order some sweet
> potato fries to see if you like them before you go to the effort of
> making them.
>
> I love sweet potato fries, but I also love sweet potatoes any old way.
> In fact, I posted a sweet potato cake recipe last night that I plan to
> try. Haven't tried oven frying them, but they are so soft when baked
> so I don't have confidence that they'll turn out well as oven fries. I
> bet they need the deep fryer to develop a crust. Who knows? Maybe
> they are lightly coated in rice flour or cornstarch first also.

You can get smallish packages of them in the frozen food section. This is
what I get for my daughter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 00:58:44 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> > > I use 450F-- but the same process. [rosemary is usually my
> > > spice-of-choice instead of cayenne] Sweet potatoes- young potatoes-
> > > carrots- string beans. . . all great. [I'm tempted to try turnips
> > > next week]
> > >

> > While that's all absolutely delicious, you're talking about roasting.
> > He wants to know about oven fries.

> Okay; how do you make oven-fries? Every recipe I've seen is pretty much the
> same - cut into fries, toss in oil and place on a cookie/baking sheet in a
> xxxF oven for xxx minutes. Even the stroe-bought frozen "oven fries" are
> coated in oil (from the factory usually) and cooked in a xxxF oven for xxx
> minutes.

For one thing, you're not crowding them onto a pan with a lot of other
vegetables, for another... it takes more oil than those recipes make
you think which is way more oil than you want to roast vegetables in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 15:55:55 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> You can get smallish packages of them in the frozen food section. This is
> what I get for my daughter.

Yeah, I have a partially used one in my freezer at the moment... but
the OP wanted to know how to make them - which for purposes of rfc is
not opening a bag frozen fries. I'm pretty sure he already knew that
he could buy them frozen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 20:16:08 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > Maybe they are lightly coated in rice flour or cornstarch first also.

> Cool idea! I always have both on hand. :-) Maybe even Arrowroot?

Dunno. I was just brainstorming how to get deep fried results at
home. I'm pretty sure they're deep fried in restaurants, but I have
no idea if they are coated or not. I don't work in a restaurant, I
just go to eat and enjoy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>> > While that's all absolutely delicious, you're talking about roasting.
>> > He wants to know about oven fries.

>> Okay; how do you make oven-fries? Every recipe I've seen is pretty much the
>> same - cut into fries, toss in oil and place on a cookie/baking sheet in a
>> xxxF oven for xxx minutes. Even the stroe-bought frozen "oven fries" are
>> coated in oil (from the factory usually) and cooked in a xxxF oven for xxx
>> minutes.

>For one thing, you're not crowding them onto a pan with a lot of other
>vegetables, for another... it takes more oil than those recipes make
>you think which is way more oil than you want to roast vegetables in.

My thought is that a 'fry' [if you're not going to deep fry them]
depends more on shape than trying to make them taste fried. [if the Op
wanted the grease, I imagine he would fry them] I interpreted
'oven frying' as 'how can I get close to the deep fried result without
all that oil'.

My suggestion of the variety of veggies above was just to show the
possibilities. I doubt they'd all crisp up at the same time if you
mixed them. They are just the veggies that I've done at
different times. All cut into 'fry shape' and roasted to crispness
[except the beans] in a hot oven.

We had what Martha Stewart called carrot fries the other night. You
could call them roasted carrot sticks. Even the carrot haters
ate them.

Jim

Sweet potato fries Gary General Cooking 19 18-07-2012 05:04 PM
Sweet Potato Fries Nonny Barbecue 25 03-11-2009 09:14 PM
new potato development for McD's French Fries Janet Bostwick[_2_] General Cooking 2 25-09-2009 02:42 AM
sweet potato french fries pfoley General Cooking 28 27-08-2006 06:10 PM
How Do You Get Crisp Sweet Potato Fries? Mickey Zalusky General Cooking 15 09-03-2006 05:23 AM