Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT. Cost of prescription tablets in the US. Need some assistance.

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the US
1. Diabex 500
2. Coplavix 75/100
3. Caduet 5/80

Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them over
the counter?

I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.

Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.

Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.

I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
supply with me or not.

thanks

Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. But soon to be
Hoges in Fla. as in Florida)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 6:11*am, Hoges in WA > wrote:
> Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the US
> 1. *Diabex 500
> 2. Coplavix 75/100
> 3. Caduet 5/80
>
> Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them over
> the counter?
>
> I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
>
> Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
>
> Ah, who cares. *it's tubby old me that needs to know.
>
> I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
> supply with me or not.
>
> thanks
>
> Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. *But soon to be
> Hoges in Fla. as in Florida)

Bring your own supply. Healthcare in the US is not a right; it's a
racket.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/02/2011 10:03 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> In . bigpond.com>,
> says...
>> Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the US
>> 1. Diabex 500
>> 2. Coplavix 75/100
>> 3. Caduet 5/80
>>
>> Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them over
>> the counter?
>>
>> I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
>>
>> Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
>>
>> Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.
>>
>> I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
>> supply with me or not.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. But soon to be
>> Hoges in Fla. as in Florida)

> Can you find out the name of the active ingredient? Caduet is sold in
> the US under that brand, but the others don't seem to be. I don't want
> to say anything further because I don't have reliable information beyond
> that point.
>
> They won't be over-the-counter. Generally speaking if it actually
> treats a medical condition it won't be.

OK, understand the scrip bit (wonder if they'd accept my current one?
Probably not.)
Anyway, CoPlavix is Clopidogrel Hydrogen Sulfate 75mg with Aspirin 100mg.
Diabex is Metformin Hydrochloride 500mg.
Thanks for chipping in - my head's spinning from all the stuff we still
have to do to get out of here!!
Hoges in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hoges in WA" > wrote in message
pond.com...
| Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the US
| 1. Diabex 500
| 2. Coplavix 75/100
| 3. Caduet 5/80
|
| Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them over
| the counter?
|
| I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
|
| Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
|
| Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.
|
| I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
| supply with me or not.
|
| thanks
|
| Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. But soon to be
| Hoges in Fla. as in Florida)

A good reference for pricing is the Pharmacy section of
www.drugstore.com
at which you will find that Coplavix and Diabex are not
sold under those names in the US; you can look under
the generic names, of course. Having a valid prescription
is another question.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
says...

> On 26/02/2011 10:03 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> > In . bigpond.com>,

says...
> >> Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the US
> >> 1. Diabex 500
> >> 2. Coplavix 75/100
> >> 3. Caduet 5/80
> >>
> >> Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them over
> >> the counter?
> >>
> >> I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
> >>
> >> Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
> >>
> >> Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.
> >>
> >> I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
> >> supply with me or not.
> >>
> >> thanks
> >>
> >> Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. But soon to be
> >> Hoges in Fla. as in Florida)

> > Can you find out the name of the active ingredient? Caduet is sold in
> > the US under that brand, but the others don't seem to be. I don't want
> > to say anything further because I don't have reliable information beyond
> > that point.
> >
> > They won't be over-the-counter. Generally speaking if it actually
> > treats a medical condition it won't be.

> OK, understand the scrip bit (wonder if they'd accept my current one?
> Probably not.)
> Anyway, CoPlavix is Clopidogrel Hydrogen Sulfate 75mg with Aspirin 100mg.
> Diabex is Metformin Hydrochloride 500mg.
> Thanks for chipping in - my head's spinning from all the stuff we still
> have to do to get out of here!!
> Hoges in WA

OK, Walmart has generic Metformin 500 60 tablets for $4US. I can't find
a reliable online price anywhere for Caduet. I checked several pharmacy
sites and none list the formulation you describe for Coplavix--they have
the clopidogrel hydrogen sulfate as "Plavix" but not with the aspirin
included.

If it's real important to you to have prices on the others I can call my
local pharmacy and give you a ballpark.

Quite honestly though your best bet is to just bring in however much you
need.

As a general rule a prescription issued by a physician outside the US
cannot be filled in a US pharmacy (there may be exceptions but that's
the general rule). You'd have to find a physician in the US to write
you a scrip--it shouldn't be a big hassle if you have a copy of your
records and can show him the meds you're on now, but you'll still have
to find one and make an appointment and pay for it and he may want blood
work as well--figure $300-600 out the door before the price of meds.

I don't know how prescriptions are packaged in AU however in the US the
standard practice has a label with the pharmacy logo preprinted, with
the name of the patient, the physician, and the pharmacist, the phone
number of the pharmacy, the prescription number, the name and dosage of
the medication, and how often it is to be taken. If they don't do it
that way in Oz do what you have to to get the pharmacist to type or
print you up labels with that information--if it looks familiar it's
more likely to get passed without question. Have the meds in the
original bottles from the pharmacy with labels attached when you cross
the border. Get a letter from your physician explaining that he has
prescribed them for you and what condition they treat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2011 6:11 AM, Hoges in WA wrote:
> Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the US
> 1. Diabex 500
> 2. Coplavix 75/100
> 3. Caduet 5/80
>
> Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them over
> the counter?
>
> I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
>
> Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
>
> Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.
>
> I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
> supply with me or not.
>
> thanks
>
> Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. But soon to be
> Hoges in Fla. as in Florida)

You will need a scrip, probably from a US doctor in order to buy any of
them. I have some doubts that Diabex is available, most available is
straight metformin. If I were only going to be here six months I would
bring the supply with me in a sealed container and be sure you have a
copy of the script with you to get through customs.

I took metformin for years but have been on Lantus and Novolog for about
ten years now with much better control of my blood glucose.

George in Loosyanna
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hoges in WA" wrote

> 1. Diabex 500
> 2. Coplavix 75/100
> 3. Caduet 5/80

> I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months' supply
> with me or not.

Is that 6 months max an OZ max or a US Customs one? I have no idea how much
you are allowed to take into the country. I would find out first though and
if it has to be in checked baggage or can't be in checked baggage. Simpler
actually if you have a friend where you are going to, to arrange to mail it
and in carry on have just a 1 month supply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:58:09 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

> On 2/26/2011 6:11 AM, Hoges in WA wrote:
> > Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the US
> > 1. Diabex 500
> > 2. Coplavix 75/100
> > 3. Caduet 5/80
> >
> > Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them over
> > the counter?
> >
> > I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
> >
> > Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
> >
> > Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.
> >
> > I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
> > supply with me or not.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. But soon to be
> > Hoges in Fla. as in Florida)

> You will need a scrip, probably from a US doctor in order to buy any of
> them. I have some doubts that Diabex is available, most available is
> straight metformin. If I were only going to be here six months I would
> bring the supply with me in a sealed container and be sure you have a
> copy of the script with you to get through customs.
>
> I took metformin for years but have been on Lantus and Novolog for about
> ten years now with much better control of my blood glucose.
>
> George in Loosyanna

Maybe his doctor would be willing to write prescriptions for
medications available here in the US. He's going to need an American
Dr contact anyway (in case he needs one) so he can kill two birds with
one stone on his next Dr's appointment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hoges in WA" > wrote
> Diabex is Metformin Hydrochloride 500mg.

Metformin needs a scrip. It is cheap though. I can get 180 tables for $10.
Actual price, not the co-pay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hoges in WA" > wrote in message
pond.com...
> Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the US
> 1. Diabex 500
> 2. Coplavix 75/100
> 3. Caduet 5/80
>
> Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them over
> the counter?
>
> I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
>
> Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
>
> Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.
>
> I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months' supply
> with me or not.
>
> thanks
>
> Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. But soon to be
> Hoges in Fla. as in Florida)

All Perscription and some OTC drugs cost substantially more in the US than
anywhere in the world, frequently by a factor of three to one. Make sure
what you're bringing will pass US Customs. Rarely they may not allow
something and that would be a horror for you.

Have a great trip. I've never met an Aussie that wasn't a friend almost
immediately.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 20:11:12 +0800, Hoges in WA wrote:
>
>> Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the US
>> 1. Diabex 500
>> 2. Coplavix 75/100
>> 3. Caduet 5/80
>>
>> Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them over
>> the counter?
>>
>> I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
>>
>> Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
>>
>> Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.
>>
>> I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
>> supply with me or not.

> There is no guarantee that a doctor in the U.S. will write you the
> same scripts you have in Australia. It all depends on which drugs
> he's "promoting" at the time you see him (and any medical insurance
> you have). Some drugs are probably not even available in the U.S. and
> vice verso.
>
> So bring your own drugs.
>
> -sw

That's going a little far Sqwertz. Physicians don't promote drugs. They
prescribe what works with the least side effect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:58:09 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2/26/2011 6:11 AM, Hoges in WA wrote:
>> > Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the
>> > US
>> > 1. Diabex 500
>> > 2. Coplavix 75/100
>> > 3. Caduet 5/80
>> >
>> > Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them
>> > over
>> > the counter?
>> >
>> > I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
>> >
>> > Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
>> >
>> > Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.
>> >
>> > I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
>> > supply with me or not.
>> >
>> > thanks
>> >
>> > Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. But soon to be
>> > Hoges in Fla. as in Florida)

>> You will need a scrip, probably from a US doctor in order to buy any of
>> them. I have some doubts that Diabex is available, most available is
>> straight metformin. If I were only going to be here six months I would
>> bring the supply with me in a sealed container and be sure you have a
>> copy of the script with you to get through customs.
>>
>> I took metformin for years but have been on Lantus and Novolog for about
>> ten years now with much better control of my blood glucose.
>>
>> George in Loosyanna

> Maybe his doctor would be willing to write prescriptions for
> medications available here in the US. He's going to need an American
> Dr contact anyway (in case he needs one) so he can kill two birds with
> one stone on his next Dr's appointment.
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

<
A prescription written in another country cannot filled in the US legally.
The prescription has to be filled in the same state that prescription was
written, The Dr. has to have a license to practice in that state. All
medical licensure is by state. The internet has probably changed all of
that. I'm sure our government is trying to figure out how to deal with that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/02/2011 4:08 PM, Kent wrote:

> That's going a little far Sqwertz. Physicians don't promote drugs. They
> prescribe what works with the least side effect.

When I broke my collar bone the ER doctor wrote me prescription for 20
Oxycontin and instructions to take 1 or 2 every 4 hours as needed and I
had to go to my family doctor for a refill. The late night pharmicist
grilled me about the prescription and disagreed with the doctor's
instructions, saying to not to take then unless I was in pain, never
take more than one at a time and to wait at least an hour before taking
another one. That scrip didn't last long, because I was in a lot of
pain. Family doc gave me a scrip for 30, which lasted about a week. When
I went back to see him he asked how many I had left and I told him I had
four, to which he commented that was good, that I was not abusing them,
so he gave me a renewal for 60. But no repeats and he said I would have
to come back for another scrip but that he would prefer not to. His
feeling was that it was probably the most effective pain medication for
me, but that it is very dangerous.

After my recent surgery I was given lots of dilaudid at first but
started cutting back before I was released from the hospital. I was sent
home with a scrip for Tyelnonol 2, still narcotic but less potent. I was
advised that healing would be faster if pain was controlled, but to be
careful with pain medication because of the side effects.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:58:09 -0600, George Shirley
>> > wrote:

>>> You will need a scrip, probably from a US doctor in order to buy any of
>>> them. I have some doubts that Diabex is available, most available is
>>> straight metformin. If I were only going to be here six months I would
>>> bring the supply with me in a sealed container and be sure you have a
>>> copy of the script with you to get through customs.
>>>
>>> I took metformin for years but have been on Lantus and Novolog for about
>>> ten years now with much better control of my blood glucose.
>>>
>>> George in Loosyanna

>> Maybe his doctor would be willing to write prescriptions for
>> medications available here in the US. He's going to need an American
>> Dr contact anyway (in case he needs one) so he can kill two birds with
>> one stone on his next Dr's appointment.
>>
>> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
>>

> <
> A prescription written in another country cannot filled in the US legally.
> The prescription has to be filled in the same state that prescription was
> written, The Dr. has to have a license to practice in that state. All
> medical licensure is by state. The internet has probably changed all of
> that. I'm sure our government is trying to figure out how to deal with
> that.

Mo In general a doctor can write prescriptions to be filled by a pharmacy
only in the state where he/she is licensed to practice. A pharmacy cannot
accept a prescription unless it was written by someone licensed that that
state. However, it appears that the feds and some states have changed that,
I'm sure, because of the internet.

This looks like a good site regarding prescriptions from discount places.
http://eldercareabcblog.com/now-lega...gs-cautiously/

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2011 2:43 AM, cshenk wrote:

> "Hoges in WA" wrote
>
>> 1. Diabex 500
>> 2. Coplavix 75/100
>> 3. Caduet 5/80

>> I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
>> supply with me or not.

> Is that 6 months max an OZ max or a US Customs one? I have no idea
> how much you are allowed to take into the country. I would find out
> first though and if it has to be in checked baggage or can't be in
> checked baggage. Simpler actually if you have a friend where you are
> going to, to arrange to mail it and in carry on have just a 1 month
> supply.

It's the maximum that can be supplied in Oz under the Pharmaceutical
Benefits Scheme. My M-i-L lives in the far west of Az so I could send
some there - we are freighting 6 boxes of stuff there to pick up on our
way through.
Hoges in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, keh6444
@ana.yahoo.com says...

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:58:09 -0600, George Shirley
> > > wrote:

> >> You will need a scrip, probably from a US doctor in order to buy any of
> >> them. I have some doubts that Diabex is available, most available is
> >> straight metformin. If I were only going to be here six months I would
> >> bring the supply with me in a sealed container and be sure you have a
> >> copy of the script with you to get through customs.
> >>
> >> I took metformin for years but have been on Lantus and Novolog for about
> >> ten years now with much better control of my blood glucose.
> >>
> >> George in Loosyanna

> > Maybe his doctor would be willing to write prescriptions for
> > medications available here in the US. He's going to need an American
> > Dr contact anyway (in case he needs one) so he can kill two birds with
> > one stone on his next Dr's appointment.
> >
> > Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
> >

> <
> A prescription written in another country cannot filled in the US legally.
> The prescription has to be filled in the same state that prescription was
> written, The Dr. has to have a license to practice in that state. All
> medical licensure is by state. The internet has probably changed all of
> that. I'm sure our government is trying to figure out how to deal with that.

Funny, I've had scrips written by a physician in MA filled at pharmacies
in CT with no problem, no questions, and no hassle whatsoever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote

Dave, this other person is using diabetic control drugs. Not pain meds.
Completely different.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2011 12:09 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> In . bigpond.com>,
> says...
>> On 26/02/2011 10:03 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
>>> In . bigpond.com>,

says...

>>> Can you find out the name of the active ingredient? Caduet is sold in
>>> the US under that brand, but the others don't seem to be. I don't want
>>> to say anything further because I don't have reliable information beyond
>>> that point.
>>>
>>> They won't be over-the-counter. Generally speaking if it actually
>>> treats a medical condition it won't be.

>> OK, understand the scrip bit (wonder if they'd accept my current one?
>> Probably not.)
>> Anyway, CoPlavix is Clopidogrel Hydrogen Sulfate 75mg with Aspirin 100mg.
>> Diabex is Metformin Hydrochloride 500mg.
>> Thanks for chipping in - my head's spinning from all the stuff we still
>> have to do to get out of here!!
>> Hoges in WA

> OK, Walmart has generic Metformin 500 60 tablets for $4US. I can't find
> a reliable online price anywhere for Caduet. I checked several pharmacy
> sites and none list the formulation you describe for Coplavix--they have
> the clopidogrel hydrogen sulfate as "Plavix" but not with the aspirin
> included.
>
> If it's real important to you to have prices on the others I can call my
> local pharmacy and give you a ballpark.
>
> Quite honestly though your best bet is to just bring in however much you
> need.
>
> As a general rule a prescription issued by a physician outside the US
> cannot be filled in a US pharmacy (there may be exceptions but that's
> the general rule). You'd have to find a physician in the US to write
> you a scrip--it shouldn't be a big hassle if you have a copy of your
> records and can show him the meds you're on now, but you'll still have
> to find one and make an appointment and pay for it and he may want blood
> work as well--figure $300-600 out the door before the price of meds.
>
> I don't know how prescriptions are packaged in AU however in the US the
> standard practice has a label with the pharmacy logo preprinted, with
> the name of the patient, the physician, and the pharmacist, the phone
> number of the pharmacy, the prescription number, the name and dosage of
> the medication, and how often it is to be taken. If they don't do it
> that way in Oz do what you have to to get the pharmacist to type or
> print you up labels with that information--if it looks familiar it's
> more likely to get passed without question. Have the meds in the
> original bottles from the pharmacy with labels attached when you cross
> the border. Get a letter from your physician explaining that he has
> prescribed them for you and what condition they treat.

Labelling sounds the same. $300 to see a doc doesn't! Anything I
brought with me would be plainly from a pharmacist, and I'll have my
scrip/s with me.
Thanks for your help.
Hoges in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/02/2011 11:51 PM, pavane wrote:
> "Hoges in > wrote in message
> pond.com...
> | Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the US
> | 1. Diabex 500
> | 2. Coplavix 75/100
> | 3. Caduet 5/80
> |
> | Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them over
> | the counter?
> |
> | I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
> |
> | Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
> |
> | Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.
> |
> | I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
> | supply with me or not.
> |
> | thanks
> |
> | Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. But soon to be
> | Hoges in Fla. as in Florida)
>
> A good reference for pricing is the Pharmacy section of
> www.drugstore.com
> at which you will find that Coplavix and Diabex are not
> sold under those names in the US; you can look under
> the generic names, of course. Having a valid prescription
> is another question.
>
> pavane

I think the "Co" in Coplavix is just so you don't have to take a
Cardiprin or half-an-aspirin. I arced up about having to take the
Plavix bit but lost the argument.
Hoges in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2011 1:10 AM, l, not -l wrote:
> On 26-Feb-2011, Hoges in > wrote:
>
>> 3. Caduet 5/80
>>
>> Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them over
>> the counter?

> Scrip required. My presription is not the same strength as you inquire
> about; but the cost will give you an idea. A 90 day supply of 10-20 Caduet
> costs $494 from a large, mail-order provider; prices would be somewhat
> higher at a walk-in pharmacy.

Wow. That's way more than here. Maybe I'll just bring the Caduets and
buy the Metformin (which are the bulkier packages).
Thanks for the fright!!!
Hoges
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2011 1:58 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 2/26/2011 6:11 AM, Hoges in WA wrote:
>> Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in
>> the US
>> 1. Diabex 500
>> 2. Coplavix 75/100
>> 3. Caduet 5/80
>>
>> Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them over
>> the counter?
>>
>> I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
>>
>> Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
>>
>> Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.
>>
>> I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
>> supply with me or not.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. But soon to be
>> Hoges in Fla. as in Florida)

> You will need a scrip, probably from a US doctor in order to buy any
> of them. I have some doubts that Diabex is available, most available
> is straight metformin. If I were only going to be here six months I
> would bring the supply with me in a sealed container and be sure you
> have a copy of the script with you to get through customs.
>
> I took metformin for years but have been on Lantus and Novolog for
> about ten years now with much better control of my blood glucose.
>
> George in Loosyanna

I'm only must into the "red zone" for type 2 so the doc and I are still
at odds about taking anything. Trouble is, he keeps making exercise a
condition of backing off?
Hoges
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hoges in WA > wrote in
pond.com:

> On 27/02/2011 12:09 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

>> more likely to get passed without question. Have the meds in the
>> original bottles from the pharmacy with labels attached when you cross
>> the border. Get a letter from your physician explaining that he has
>> prescribed them for you and what condition they treat.

> Labelling sounds the same. $300 to see a doc doesn't! Anything I
> brought with me would be plainly from a pharmacist, and I'll have my
> scrip/s with me.
> Thanks for your help.
> Hoges in WA

What JC said about having a letter from your Dr is right. Better to be
safe, than sorry, as some medications that are available here for general
use, are illegal in other countries.

I *always* get a letter from my Dr describing what I've got, and why I'm
taking them. *Especially* when travelling in SEAsia!!

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
we are.

We are Queenslanders.

We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hoges in WA > wrote in news:zKeap.11405$gM3.4335
@viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com:

> On 27/02/2011 2:43 AM, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> "Hoges in WA" wrote
>>
>>> 1. Diabex 500
>>> 2. Coplavix 75/100
>>> 3. Caduet 5/80

>>> I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
>>> supply with me or not.

>> Is that 6 months max an OZ max or a US Customs one? I have no idea
>> how much you are allowed to take into the country. I would find out
>> first though and if it has to be in checked baggage or can't be in
>> checked baggage. Simpler actually if you have a friend where you are
>> going to, to arrange to mail it and in carry on have just a 1 month
>> supply.

> It's the maximum that can be supplied in Oz under the Pharmaceutical
> Benefits Scheme. My M-i-L lives in the far west of Az so I could send
> some there - we are freighting 6 boxes of stuff there to pick up on our
> way through.
> Hoges in WA

If you're going to be staying for that long, it'd be cheaper to get the US
Dr option. You can then claim it back through your travel insurance,
which of course you would have!!

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
we are.

We are Queenslanders.

We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2011 3:23 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 20:11:12 +0800, Hoges in WA wrote:
>
>> Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the US
>> 1. Diabex 500
>> 2. Coplavix 75/100
>> 3. Caduet 5/80
>>
>> Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them over
>> the counter?
>>
>> I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
>>
>> Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
>>
>> Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.
>>
>> I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
>> supply with me or not.

> There is no guarantee that a doctor in the U.S. will write you the
> same scripts you have in Australia. It all depends on which drugs
> he's "promoting" at the time you see him (and any medical insurance
> you have). Some drugs are probably not even available in the U.S. and
> vice verso.
>
> So bring your own drugs.
>
> -sw

Cynic I thought that was in the movies?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2011 5:05 AM, Kent wrote:
> "Hoges in > wrote in message
> pond.com...
>> Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the US
>> 1. Diabex 500
>> 2. Coplavix 75/100
>> 3. Caduet 5/80
>>
>> Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them over
>> the counter?
>>
>> I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
>>
>> Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
>>
>> Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.
>>
>> I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months' supply
>> with me or not.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. But soon to be
>> Hoges in Fla. as in Florida)
>>

> All Perscription and some OTC drugs cost substantially more in the US than
> anywhere in the world, frequently by a factor of three to one. Make sure
> what you're bringing will pass US Customs. Rarely they may not allow
> something and that would be a horror for you.
>
> Have a great trip. I've never met an Aussie that wasn't a friend almost
> immediately.
>
> Kent

Thanks. So much to organise. We've got our house mostly cleaned out
and rented from 12th March. Got the US Visas (gave us 5-year ones).
Got most of the packing done.
Haven't booked the airline yet - punting on it being cheaper closer to
the day. Then it's LA for a camper van and over the bottom to Miami.
Hoges in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm back. > wrote:

>Hoges in WA > wrote in

>> On 27/02/2011 12:09 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

>>> more likely to get passed without question. Have the meds in the
>>> original bottles from the pharmacy with labels attached when you cross
>>> the border. Get a letter from your physician explaining that he has
>>> prescribed them for you and what condition they treat.

>> Labelling sounds the same. $300 to see a doc doesn't! Anything I
>> brought with me would be plainly from a pharmacist, and I'll have my
>> scrip/s with me.
>> Thanks for your help.
>> Hoges in WA

>What JC said about having a letter from your Dr is right. Better to be
>safe, than sorry, as some medications that are available here for general
>use, are illegal in other countries.

>I *always* get a letter from my Dr describing what I've got, and why I'm
>taking them. *Especially* when travelling in SEAsia!!

Here is some information -- U.S. customs states that a U.S. adult can
bring into the U.S. 60 days' worth of a medication (that would be
prescription only in the U.S.) purchased OTC outside the U.S. if it is
declared upon entry. No prescription or letter necessary.

(I am going by memory here, so you may want to check the rules to make
sure.)

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Steve Pope) wrote in news:ikc4d0$tcd$1
@blue.rahul.net:

> I'm back. > wrote:
>
>>Hoges in WA > wrote in

cross

>>> Labelling sounds the same. $300 to see a doc doesn't! Anything I
>>> brought with me would be plainly from a pharmacist, and I'll have my
>>> scrip/s with me.
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>> Hoges in WA

>>What JC said about having a letter from your Dr is right. Better to be
>>safe, than sorry, as some medications that are available here for

general
>>use, are illegal in other countries.

>>I *always* get a letter from my Dr describing what I've got, and why I'm
>>taking them. *Especially* when travelling in SEAsia!!

> Here is some information -- U.S. customs states that a U.S. adult can
> bring into the U.S. 60 days' worth of a medication (that would be
> prescription only in the U.S.) purchased OTC outside the U.S. if it is
> declared upon entry. No prescription or letter necessary.
>
> (I am going by memory here, so you may want to check the rules to make
> sure.)
>
> Steve

But then, the USA is reasonably civilised.

But I always say, better to be safe, than sorry :-)

I seem to recall that Panadol is illegal in certain SEAsian countries....
so whenever I go over that way, I get a letter from my Doc for
*everything*!!!

Gone are the days of travelling the world carrying a handful of syringes
in your luggage (used to drain the fluid from my knee!!).

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
we are.

We are Queenslanders.

We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hoges in WA > wrote in
pond.com:

> On 27/02/2011 5:05 AM, Kent wrote:
>> "Hoges in > wrote in message
>> pond.com...
>>> Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the
>>> US 1. Diabex 500
>>> 2. Coplavix 75/100
>>> 3. Caduet 5/80
>>>
>>> Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them
>>> over the counter?
>>>
>>> I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
>>>
>>> Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
>>>
>>> Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
>>> supply with me or not.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. But soon to be
>>> Hoges in Fla. as in Florida)
>>>

>> All Perscription and some OTC drugs cost substantially more in the US
>> than anywhere in the world, frequently by a factor of three to one.
>> Make sure what you're bringing will pass US Customs. Rarely they may
>> not allow something and that would be a horror for you.
>>
>> Have a great trip. I've never met an Aussie that wasn't a friend almost
>> immediately.
>>
>> Kent

> Thanks. So much to organise. We've got our house mostly cleaned out
> and rented from 12th March. Got the US Visas (gave us 5-year ones).
> Got most of the packing done.
> Haven't booked the airline yet - punting on it being cheaper closer to
> the day. Then it's LA for a camper van and over the bottom to Miami.
> Hoges in WA

A prolonged visit, or planning to stay over there?

And if you're going Miami way, you'll have to drop in and say Hi to
HillbillyBoy/TFM :-)

As for airline tickets, I always found it to be cheaper the sooner you
book. We bought some tickets to Malaysia that were 6 months in advance,
and got them for next to nothing.... and by the time it came time to
travel, they were *quite* a deal more expensive.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
we are.

We are Queenslanders.

We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-58888C.17511426022011
@news.giganews.com:

> In article .com>,
> Hoges in WA > wrote:
>
>> Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the following cost in the

US
>> 1. Diabex 500
>> 2. Coplavix 75/100
>> 3. Caduet 5/80
>>
>> Also, do you need a scrip to buy them in the US or can you get them

over
>> the counter?
>>
>> I've tried googling but get heaps of commentary but no hard data.
>>
>> Obviously, as in all these cases, I'm asking for a friend.
>>
>> Ah, who cares. it's tubby old me that needs to know.
>>
>> I'm trying to work out if it's worth bringing the maximum 6 months'
>> supply with me or not.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. But soon to be
>> Hoges in Fla. as in Florida)

> I've heard that Mexico is cheaper for most Rx's than the US, and so is
> Canada.

He could always 'duck over the border' to Mekiko whilst on his way to
Florida..... but it's a looooong way to go to Canadia, eh!!

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
we are.

We are Queenslanders.

We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2011 8:20 AM, I'm back. wrote:
> Hoges in > wrote in
> pond.com:
>
>> On 27/02/2011 5:05 AM, Kent wrote:
>>> "Hoges in > wrote in message
>>> pond.com...

>>> All Perscription and some OTC drugs cost substantially more in the US
>>> than anywhere in the world, frequently by a factor of three to one.
>>> Make sure what you're bringing will pass US Customs. Rarely they may
>>> not allow something and that would be a horror for you.
>>>
>>> Have a great trip. I've never met an Aussie that wasn't a friend almost
>>> immediately.
>>>
>>> Kent

>> Thanks. So much to organise. We've got our house mostly cleaned out
>> and rented from 12th March. Got the US Visas (gave us 5-year ones).
>> Got most of the packing done.
>> Haven't booked the airline yet - punting on it being cheaper closer to
>> the day. Then it's LA for a camper van and over the bottom to Miami.
>> Hoges in WA
>>

> A prolonged visit, or planning to stay over there?
>

> And if you're going Miami way, you'll have to drop in and say Hi to
> HillbillyBoy/TFM :-)
>

> As for airline tickets, I always found it to be cheaper the sooner you
> book. We bought some tickets to Malaysia that were 6 months in advance,
> and got them for next to nothing.... and by the time it came time to
> travel, they were *quite* a deal more expensive.

Beginning of a 6+ year voyage starting on the East Coast of the US and
sailing eastward for a few years before turning back. No set finish
date - may never finish?
Hoges in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote
> The prescription has to be filled in the same state that prescription was
> written, The Dr. has to have a license to practice in that state. All
> medical licensure is by state. The internet has probably changed all of
> that. I'm sure our government is trying to figure out how to deal with
> that.

BS. I cross the state line with virtually all our prescriptions. It may
vary by state, but don't make general comments that do not apply. Oh, may
daughter gets her NV prescriptions filled here I CT too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2011 8:03 AM, Steve Pope wrote:
> I'm > wrote:
>
>> Hoges in > wrote in
>>> Labelling sounds the same. $300 to see a doc doesn't! Anything I
>>> brought with me would be plainly from a pharmacist, and I'll have my
>>> scrip/s with me.
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>> Hoges in WA

>> What JC said about having a letter from your Dr is right. Better to be
>> safe, than sorry, as some medications that are available here for general
>> use, are illegal in other countries.
>> I *always* get a letter from my Dr describing what I've got, and why I'm
>> taking them. *Especially* when travelling in SEAsia!!

> Here is some information -- U.S. customs states that a U.S. adult can
> bring into the U.S. 60 days' worth of a medication (that would be
> prescription only in the U.S.) purchased OTC outside the U.S. if it is
> declared upon entry. No prescription or letter necessary.
>
> (I am going by memory here, so you may want to check the rules to make
> sure.)
>
> Steve

Useful starting point for reference. Thanks for that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> I'm back. > wrote:
>
> >Hoges in WA > wrote in

> >> Labelling sounds the same. $300 to see a doc doesn't! Anything I
> >> brought with me would be plainly from a pharmacist, and I'll have my
> >> scrip/s with me.
> >> Thanks for your help.
> >> Hoges in WA

> >What JC said about having a letter from your Dr is right. Better to be
> >safe, than sorry, as some medications that are available here for general
> >use, are illegal in other countries.

> >I *always* get a letter from my Dr describing what I've got, and why I'm
> >taking them. *Especially* when travelling in SEAsia!!

> Here is some information -- U.S. customs states that a U.S. adult can
> bring into the U.S. 60 days' worth of a medication (that would be
> prescription only in the U.S.) purchased OTC outside the U.S. if it is
> declared upon entry. No prescription or letter necessary.
>
> (I am going by memory here, so you may want to check the rules to make
> sure.)

However he is not a "U.S. Adult", he is an Australian adult.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke > wrote:

>In article >, says...
>>
>> I'm back. > wrote:
>>
>> >Hoges in WA > wrote in

>> >What JC said about having a letter from your Dr is right. Better to be
>> >safe, than sorry, as some medications that are available here for general
>> >use, are illegal in other countries.

>> >I *always* get a letter from my Dr describing what I've got, and why I'm
>> >taking them. *Especially* when travelling in SEAsia!!

>> Here is some information -- U.S. customs states that a U.S. adult can
>> bring into the U.S. 60 days' worth of a medication (that would be
>> prescription only in the U.S.) purchased OTC outside the U.S. if it is
>> declared upon entry. No prescription or letter necessary.
>>
>> (I am going by memory here, so you may want to check the rules to make
>> sure.)

>However he is not a "U.S. Adult", he is an Australian adult.

Yes, I was not claiming my information was other than tangential.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 13:16:11 -0800, "Kent" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:58:09 -0600, George Shirley
> > > wrote:

> >> You will need a scrip, probably from a US doctor in order to buy any of
> >> them. I have some doubts that Diabex is available, most available is
> >> straight metformin. If I were only going to be here six months I would
> >> bring the supply with me in a sealed container and be sure you have a
> >> copy of the script with you to get through customs.
> >>
> >> I took metformin for years but have been on Lantus and Novolog for about
> >> ten years now with much better control of my blood glucose.
> >>
> >> George in Loosyanna

> > Maybe his doctor would be willing to write prescriptions for
> > medications available here in the US. He's going to need an American
> > Dr contact anyway (in case he needs one) so he can kill two birds with
> > one stone on his next Dr's appointment.
> >

> <
> A prescription written in another country cannot filled in the US legally.
> The prescription has to be filled in the same state that prescription was
> written, The Dr. has to have a license to practice in that state. All
> medical licensure is by state. The internet has probably changed all of
> that. I'm sure our government is trying to figure out how to deal with that.

I had a sinking feeling that would be too easy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 13:31:51 -0800, "Kent" >
wrote:

> A pharmacy cannot
> accept a prescription unless it was written by someone licensed that that
> state.

I didn't know that!

> However, it appears that the feds and some states have changed that,
> I'm sure, because of the internet.

Whew.