Old 25-02-2011, 01:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New uses for a couple of oldtimers

Ferreting in the back of an upper shelf, I found my old Tupperware
salt and pepper shakers from my boating days (nonbreakable, airtight
etc). Hmm.....what to do. "Goodwill? Wait, kid. " I washed and set
em aside, knowing ideas would spring forth eventually.

The other day, I wanted to sprinkle the smallest dash of sugar on the
muffins before baking. Last night, wanted to do the same with
paprika on my oven fries (helps me spot the ones still to be
turned..) Yay- new uses.
I just need to label em so I don't get paprika on muffins by
accident.

HTH

Old 25-02-2011, 10:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 8:46*am, Kalmia wrote:
Ferreting in the back of an upper shelf, I found my old Tupperware
salt and pepper shakers from my boating days (nonbreakable, airtight
etc). * Hmm.....what to do. "Goodwill? Wait, kid. " * I washed and set
em aside, knowing ideas would spring forth eventually.

The other day, I *wanted to sprinkle the smallest dash of sugar on the
muffins before baking. * Last night, wanted to do the same with
paprika on my oven fries (helps me spot the ones still to be
turned..) *Yay- new uses.
I just need to label em so I don't get paprika on muffins by
accident.

HTH

But aren't they already labeled? Just put the sugar in the salt
shaker and the paprika in the pepper shaker.
I'm assuming one is marked S and the other P?
Old 26-02-2011, 12:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Catmandy (Sheryl)" wrote in message
On Feb 25, 8:46 am, Kalmia wrote:
Ferreting in the back of an upper shelf, I found my old Tupperware
salt and pepper shakers from my boating days (nonbreakable, airtight
etc). Hmm.....what to do. "Goodwill? Wait, kid. " I washed and set
em aside, knowing ideas would spring forth eventually.

The other day, I wanted to sprinkle the smallest dash of sugar on the
muffins before baking. Last night, wanted to do the same with
paprika on my oven fries (helps me spot the ones still to be
turned..) Yay- new uses.
I just need to label em so I don't get paprika on muffins by
accident.

HTH

But aren't they already labeled? Just put the sugar in the salt
shaker and the paprika in the pepper shaker.
I'm assuming one is marked S and the other P?

Mine are labeled 'salt' and 'pepper'. We make pizza pretty often, and I use
one of them to sprinkle just the right amount of olive oil on top before it
goes in the oven. I keep it by the stove, so anything that needs just a
sprinkle of OO gets the right amount.

Old 26-02-2011, 12:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 5:28*pm, "Catmandy (Sheryl)"
wrote:
On Feb 25, 8:46*am, Kalmia wrote:

Ferreting in the back of an upper shelf, I found my old Tupperware
salt and pepper shakers from my boating days (nonbreakable, airtight
etc). * Hmm.....what to do. "Goodwill? Wait, kid. " * I washed and set
em aside, knowing ideas would spring forth eventually.

The other day, I *wanted to sprinkle the smallest dash of sugar on the
muffins before baking. * Last night, wanted to do the same with
paprika on my oven fries (helps me spot the ones still to be
turned..) *Yay- new uses.
I just need to label em so I don't get paprika on muffins by
accident.

HTH

But aren't they already labeled? *Just put the sugar in the salt
shaker and the paprika in the pepper shaker.
I'm assuming one is marked S and the other P?

I thought about that, but the lettering has long since left
visibility. These things have to be 25 years old at least. Plus, my
trusty Sharpie fat point can make its mark.
Old 26-02-2011, 12:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 7:25*pm, "Keith" wrote:
.. *We make pizza pretty often, and I use
one of them to sprinkle just the right amount of olive oil on top before it
goes in the oven. *I keep it by the stove, so anything that needs just a
sprinkle of OO gets the right amount.

_______________________

Not a bad idea. I make do with a cruet from which I can shake out the
drops of OO I need for oiling pans etc.
..
By the by, I don't put OO on my pizza crust. I slather it with tomato
sauce for the first 8 minute stage of baking. Then I remove, add rest
of toppings, and pop back into oven for another 10 minutes or so.

Old 26-02-2011, 12:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

Ferreting in the back of an upper shelf, I found my old Tupperware
salt and pepper shakers from my boating days (nonbreakable, airtight
etc). Hmm.....what to do. "Goodwill? Wait, kid. " I washed and set
em aside, knowing ideas would spring forth eventually.

The other day, I wanted to sprinkle the smallest dash of sugar on the
muffins before baking. Last night, wanted to do the same with
paprika on my oven fries (helps me spot the ones still to be
turned..) Yay- new uses.
I just need to label em so I don't get paprika on muffins by
accident.

HTH

What's wrong with paprika on muffins? Not a muffin fan in any case, but
we have made savoury muffins.
Old 26-02-2011, 03:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

What's wrong with paprika on muffins?

Or sugar on oven fries?

I HAVE sprinkled black pepper on oatmeal, when I meant to grab the
cinnamon. I have those in identical clear shakers on back of the
stove and can only go by color. On a particularly foggy-minded
morning, I've grabbed the wrong one.
Old 26-02-2011, 04:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

Ferreting in the back of an upper shelf, I found my old Tupperware
salt and pepper shakers from my boating days (nonbreakable, airtight
etc). Hmm.....what to do. "Goodwill? Wait, kid. " I washed and set
em aside, knowing ideas would spring forth eventually.

The other day, I wanted to sprinkle the smallest dash of sugar on the
muffins before baking. Last night, wanted to do the same with
paprika on my oven fries (helps me spot the ones still to be
turned..) Yay- new uses.
I just need to label em so I don't get paprika on muffins by
accident.

Clue: Paprika is red; granulated sugar is usually white. HTH.
(Ducking and running!) :-)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Old 26-02-2011, 04:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Kalmia wrote:

I tried flour in one of em - holes too small. Flour just jammed the
holes. Why did I want a bit of flour? Dusting the countertop for
bread dough handling. So, it was back to my old glass jar with a few
holes punched in the lid.

Hah!! THAT's a fine idea. I use a parmesan cheese shaker like this
one, at the TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/48v8zs3 or if you like long
links, this one:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...fee.com/media/
CHEESE%2520SHAKER.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wesellcoffee.com/page6.html&us
g=__V9CkPTnL2fEdJMjYWTFwp0iIKMQ=&h=200&w=150&sz=5& hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tb
nid=eEKGizBL2RwWnM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=108&ei=_CppTbbiB cL6lwe84ZSCAg&prev=/ima
ges%3Fq%3Dcheese%2Bshaker%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1079%2 6bih%3D730%26gbv%3D2%26
tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=389&vpy=218&dur=10 50&hovh=160&hovw=120&tx
=65&ty=83&oei=_CppTbbiBcL6lwe84ZSCAg&page=1&ndsp=1 7&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

I like your idea betterčI could use a pint jar and wouldn't have to mess
with filling it up as often. Thank you!!

Old 26-02-2011, 05:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:01:15 -0500, James Silverton
wrote:

Do you remember those ingenious but messy traditional honey servers like
a grooved ball on a stick? They have been rightly replaced by squeeze
bottles these days.

I hate plastic for honey. My house is colder than what honey likes so
it crystallizes and plastic doesn't do well with sweet stuff inside
when I microwave it.

Old 26-02-2011, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:54:22 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
wrote:

I tried flour in one of em - holes too small. Flour just jammed the
holes. Why did I want a bit of flour? Dusting the countertop for
bread dough handling. So, it was back to my old glass jar with a few
holes punched in the lid.

I have something that I guess is for flour then, I was told it was
meant for powdered sugar. It's just as easy to sprinkle flour on the
surface though.

Old 27-02-2011, 02:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

I hate plastic for honey. My house is colder than what honey likes so it
crystallizes and plastic doesn't do well with sweet stuff inside when I
microwave it.

I keep honey in a glass jar. I've got plenty of glass jars around, so if I
buy honey in a plastic container I can just dispense it into a glass jar
when I get it home.

Bob

Old 27-02-2011, 06:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:23:09 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:

sf wrote:

I hate plastic for honey. My house is colder than what honey likes so it
crystallizes and plastic doesn't do well with sweet stuff inside when I
microwave it.

I keep honey in a glass jar. I've got plenty of glass jars around, so if I
buy honey in a plastic container I can just dispense it into a glass jar
when I get it home.

Do you have a trick to keep it from crystallizing?

Old 27-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Terwilliger[_1_] View Post
sf wrote:

I hate plastic for honey. My house is colder than what honey likes so it
crystallizes and plastic doesn't do well with sweet stuff inside when I
microwave it.

I keep honey in a glass jar. I've got plenty of glass jars around, so if I
buy honey in a plastic container I can just dispense it into a glass jar
when I get it home.

Bob
I buy bulk honey in gallon glass jugs (with the snap down lids). I bet if you look around, you can find bulk honey for cheap. It's $4/lb where I live if you buy three or more pounds.
Old 27-02-2011, 11:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 11:34*am, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:
In article
,

links, this one:http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lcoffee.com/me...
CHEESE%2520SHAKER.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wesellcoffee.com/page6.html&us
g=__V9CkPTnL2fEdJMjYWTFwp0iIKMQ=&h=200&w=150&sz=5& hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tb
nid=eEKGizBL2RwWnM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=108&ei=_CppTbbiB cL6lwe84ZSCAg&prev=/ima
ges%3Fq%3Dcheese%2Bshaker%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1079%2 6bih%3D730%26gbv%3D2%26
tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=389&vpy=218&dur=10 50&hovh=160&hovw=120&tx
=65&ty=83&oei=_CppTbbiBcL6lwe84ZSCAg&page=1&ndsp=1 7&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

I like your idea better I could use a pint jar and wouldn't have to mess
with filling it up as often. *Thank you!!

--

It's a six sided glass jar mustard came in. I kept it cuz the green
top goes with my day-core. Plus, when I need a T or two of flour, I

Oldtimers hotair[_2_] Barbecue 7 07-01-2016 06:33 AM
TN: Back to NY- young Nebbiolo, couple Kabs, couple Chardonnays, etc DaleW Wine 9 20-08-2014 08:58 PM
OT PING: Oldtimers - Rainbw bridge time. Chemiker General Cooking 8 03-08-2011 12:19 AM
Are there any of the oldtimers left? Michael Nielsen[_2_] General Cooking 147 21-04-2009 11:59 AM
TN: Lagrange, de Pez, Brunello, couple Burgs, couple Austrian stickies, Port DaleW Wine 9 19-01-2006 01:33 PM