Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New uses for a couple of oldtimers

Ferreting in the back of an upper shelf, I found my old Tupperware
salt and pepper shakers from my boating days (nonbreakable, airtight
etc). Hmm.....what to do. "Goodwill? Wait, kid. " I washed and set
em aside, knowing ideas would spring forth eventually.

The other day, I wanted to sprinkle the smallest dash of sugar on the
muffins before baking. Last night, wanted to do the same with
paprika on my oven fries (helps me spot the ones still to be
turned..) Yay- new uses.
I just need to label em so I don't get paprika on muffins by
accident.

HTH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 8:46*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> Ferreting in the back of an upper shelf, I found my old Tupperware
> salt and pepper shakers from my boating days (nonbreakable, airtight
> etc). * Hmm.....what to do. "Goodwill? Wait, kid. " * I washed and set
> em aside, knowing ideas would spring forth eventually.
>
> The other day, I *wanted to sprinkle the smallest dash of sugar on the
> muffins before baking. * Last night, wanted to do the same with
> paprika on my oven fries (helps me spot the ones still to be
> turned..) *Yay- new uses.
> I just need to label em so I don't get paprika on muffins by
> accident.
>
> HTH

But aren't they already labeled? Just put the sugar in the salt
shaker and the paprika in the pepper shaker.
I'm assuming one is marked S and the other P?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Catmandy (Sheryl)" > wrote in message
On Feb 25, 8:46 am, Kalmia > wrote:
> Ferreting in the back of an upper shelf, I found my old Tupperware
> salt and pepper shakers from my boating days (nonbreakable, airtight
> etc). Hmm.....what to do. "Goodwill? Wait, kid. " I washed and set
> em aside, knowing ideas would spring forth eventually.
>
> The other day, I wanted to sprinkle the smallest dash of sugar on the
> muffins before baking. Last night, wanted to do the same with
> paprika on my oven fries (helps me spot the ones still to be
> turned..) Yay- new uses.
> I just need to label em so I don't get paprika on muffins by
> accident.
>
> HTH

But aren't they already labeled? Just put the sugar in the salt
shaker and the paprika in the pepper shaker.
I'm assuming one is marked S and the other P?

Mine are labeled 'salt' and 'pepper'. We make pizza pretty often, and I use
one of them to sprinkle just the right amount of olive oil on top before it
goes in the oven. I keep it by the stove, so anything that needs just a
sprinkle of OO gets the right amount.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 5:28*pm, "Catmandy (Sheryl)" >
wrote:
> On Feb 25, 8:46*am, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > Ferreting in the back of an upper shelf, I found my old Tupperware
> > salt and pepper shakers from my boating days (nonbreakable, airtight
> > etc). * Hmm.....what to do. "Goodwill? Wait, kid. " * I washed and set
> > em aside, knowing ideas would spring forth eventually.

> > The other day, I *wanted to sprinkle the smallest dash of sugar on the
> > muffins before baking. * Last night, wanted to do the same with
> > paprika on my oven fries (helps me spot the ones still to be
> > turned..) *Yay- new uses.
> > I just need to label em so I don't get paprika on muffins by
> > accident.

> > HTH

> But aren't they already labeled? *Just put the sugar in the salt
> shaker and the paprika in the pepper shaker.
> I'm assuming one is marked S and the other P?

I thought about that, but the lettering has long since left
visibility. These things have to be 25 years old at least. Plus, my
trusty Sharpie fat point can make its mark.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 7:25*pm, "Keith" > wrote:
.. *We make pizza pretty often, and I use
> one of them to sprinkle just the right amount of olive oil on top before it
> goes in the oven. *I keep it by the stove, so anything that needs just a
> sprinkle of OO gets the right amount.

_______________________

Not a bad idea. I make do with a cruet from which I can shake out the
drops of OO I need for oiling pans etc.
..
By the by, I don't put OO on my pizza crust. I slather it with tomato
sauce for the first 8 minute stage of baking. Then I remove, add rest
of toppings, and pop back into oven for another 10 minutes or so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> Ferreting in the back of an upper shelf, I found my old Tupperware
> salt and pepper shakers from my boating days (nonbreakable, airtight
> etc). Hmm.....what to do. "Goodwill? Wait, kid. " I washed and set
> em aside, knowing ideas would spring forth eventually.
>
> The other day, I wanted to sprinkle the smallest dash of sugar on the
> muffins before baking. Last night, wanted to do the same with
> paprika on my oven fries (helps me spot the ones still to be
> turned..) Yay- new uses.
> I just need to label em so I don't get paprika on muffins by
> accident.
>
> HTH

What's wrong with paprika on muffins? Not a muffin fan in any case, but
we have made savoury muffins.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> What's wrong with paprika on muffins?

Or sugar on oven fries?

I HAVE sprinkled black pepper on oatmeal, when I meant to grab the
cinnamon. I have those in identical clear shakers on back of the
stove and can only go by color. On a particularly foggy-minded
morning, I've grabbed the wrong one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > Ferreting in the back of an upper shelf, I found my old Tupperware
> > salt and pepper shakers from my boating days (nonbreakable, airtight
> > etc). Hmm.....what to do. "Goodwill? Wait, kid. " I washed and set
> > em aside, knowing ideas would spring forth eventually.
> >
> > The other day, I wanted to sprinkle the smallest dash of sugar on the
> > muffins before baking. Last night, wanted to do the same with
> > paprika on my oven fries (helps me spot the ones still to be
> > turned..) Yay- new uses.
> > I just need to label em so I don't get paprika on muffins by
> > accident.

Clue: Paprika is red; granulated sugar is usually white. HTH.
(Ducking and running!) :-)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> I tried flour in one of em - holes too small. Flour just jammed the
> holes. Why did I want a bit of flour? Dusting the countertop for
> bread dough handling. So, it was back to my old glass jar with a few
> holes punched in the lid.

Hah!! THAT's a fine idea. I use a parmesan cheese shaker like this
one, at the TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/48v8zs3 or if you like long
links, this one:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...fee.com/media/
CHEESE%2520SHAKER.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wesellcoffee.com/page6.html&us
g=__V9CkPTnL2fEdJMjYWTFwp0iIKMQ=&h=200&w=150&sz=5& hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tb
nid=eEKGizBL2RwWnM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=108&ei=_CppTbbiB cL6lwe84ZSCAg&prev=/ima
ges%3Fq%3Dcheese%2Bshaker%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1079%2 6bih%3D730%26gbv%3D2%26
tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=389&vpy=218&dur=10 50&hovh=160&hovw=120&tx
=65&ty=83&oei=_CppTbbiBcL6lwe84ZSCAg&page=1&ndsp=1 7&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

I like your idea better‹I could use a pint jar and wouldn't have to mess
with filling it up as often. Thank you!!

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:01:15 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> Do you remember those ingenious but messy traditional honey servers like
> a grooved ball on a stick? They have been rightly replaced by squeeze
> bottles these days.

I hate plastic for honey. My house is colder than what honey likes so
it crystallizes and plastic doesn't do well with sweet stuff inside
when I microwave it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:54:22 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> I tried flour in one of em - holes too small. Flour just jammed the
> holes. Why did I want a bit of flour? Dusting the countertop for
> bread dough handling. So, it was back to my old glass jar with a few
> holes punched in the lid.

I have something that I guess is for flour then, I was told it was
meant for powdered sugar. It's just as easy to sprinkle flour on the
surface though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I hate plastic for honey. My house is colder than what honey likes so it
> crystallizes and plastic doesn't do well with sweet stuff inside when I
> microwave it.

I keep honey in a glass jar. I've got plenty of glass jars around, so if I
buy honey in a plastic container I can just dispense it into a glass jar
when I get it home.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:23:09 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > I hate plastic for honey. My house is colder than what honey likes so it
> > crystallizes and plastic doesn't do well with sweet stuff inside when I
> > microwave it.

> I keep honey in a glass jar. I've got plenty of glass jars around, so if I
> buy honey in a plastic container I can just dispense it into a glass jar
> when I get it home.

Do you have a trick to keep it from crystallizing?

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Terwilliger[_1_] View Post
sf wrote:

I hate plastic for honey. My house is colder than what honey likes so it
crystallizes and plastic doesn't do well with sweet stuff inside when I
microwave it.

I keep honey in a glass jar. I've got plenty of glass jars around, so if I
buy honey in a plastic container I can just dispense it into a glass jar
when I get it home.

Bob
I buy bulk honey in gallon glass jugs (with the snap down lids). I bet if you look around, you can find bulk honey for cheap. It's $4/lb where I live if you buy three or more pounds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 11:34*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Kalmia > wrote:
> > I tried flour in one of em - holes too small. *Flour just jammed the
> > holes. *Why did I want a bit of flour? *Dusting the countertop for
> > bread dough handling. *So, it was back to my old glass jar with a few
> > holes punched in the lid.

> Hah!! *THAT's a fine idea. *I use a parmesan cheese shaker like this
> one, at the TinyURL:http://tinyurl.com/48v8zs3or if you like long
> links, this one:http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lcoffee.com/me...
> CHEESE%2520SHAKER.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wesellcoffee.com/page6.html&us
> g=__V9CkPTnL2fEdJMjYWTFwp0iIKMQ=&h=200&w=150&sz=5& hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tb
> nid=eEKGizBL2RwWnM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=108&ei=_CppTbbiB cL6lwe84ZSCAg&prev=/ima
> ges%3Fq%3Dcheese%2Bshaker%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1079%2 6bih%3D730%26gbv%3D2%26
> tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=389&vpy=218&dur=10 50&hovh=160&hovw=120&tx
> =65&ty=83&oei=_CppTbbiBcL6lwe84ZSCAg&page=1&ndsp=1 7&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0
>
> I like your idea better I could use a pint jar and wouldn't have to mess
> with filling it up as often. *Thank you!!
>
> --

It's a six sided glass jar mustard came in. I kept it cuz the green
top goes with my day-core. Plus, when I need a T or two of flour, I
can dip into it instead of haulng out the big 5 lb. container.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 11:28*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:

> Clue: *Paprika is red; granulated sugar is usually white. *HTH.
> (Ducking and running!) *:-)

Watch it, Sister. These Tupps are opaque.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> > What's wrong with paprika on muffins?

> Or sugar on oven fries?

Haven't tried that yet. Nor the sugar-coated potatoes that occur in
Scandinavia.

> I HAVE sprinkled black pepper on oatmeal, when I meant to grab the
> cinnamon. I have those in identical clear shakers on back of the
> stove and can only go by color. On a particularly foggy-minded
> morning, I've grabbed the wrong one.

That wouldn't be bad; oats are used in savoury dishes anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> On Feb 26, 11:28*am, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
>
> > Clue: *Paprika is red; granulated sugar is usually white. *HTH.
> > (Ducking and running!) *:-)
> >

> Watch it, Sister. These Tupps are opaque.

Whoops! I recant!! Mine, you can tell the color of the contents yust
by looking. :-)
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> On Feb 26, 11:34*am, Melba's Jammin' >

> > I like your idea better I could use a pint jar and wouldn't have to mess
> > with filling it up as often. *Thank you!!
> >
> > --

> It's a six sided glass jar mustard came in. I kept it cuz the green
> top goes with my day-core. Plus, when I need a T or two of flour, I
> can dip into it instead of haulng out the big 5 lb. container.

Yup, I'm thinking I should follow my own recommendation and use a bigger
jar than my cheese shaker.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2011 6:46 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> Ferreting in the back of an upper shelf, I found my old Tupperware
> salt and pepper shakers from my boating days (nonbreakable, airtight
> etc). Hmm.....what to do. "Goodwill? Wait, kid. " I washed and set
> em aside, knowing ideas would spring forth eventually.
>
> The other day, I wanted to sprinkle the smallest dash of sugar on the
> muffins before baking. Last night, wanted to do the same with
> paprika on my oven fries (helps me spot the ones still to be
> turned..) Yay- new uses.
> I just need to label em so I don't get paprika on muffins by
> accident.
>
> HTH

If they are the tan set, write on them with a Sharpie.
If the dark brown ones, stick labels on the side.

The simplest answer came from who(m)ever suggested
paprika in the "P" and sugar in the "S".

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:23:09 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>
>>> I hate plastic for honey. My house is colder than what honey likes so it
>>> crystallizes and plastic doesn't do well with sweet stuff inside when I
>>> microwave it.

>> I keep honey in a glass jar. I've got plenty of glass jars around, so if I
>> buy honey in a plastic container I can just dispense it into a glass jar
>> when I get it home.
>>

> Do you have a trick to keep it from crystallizing?

sit the jar in a container of warm water, or nuke it
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:23:09 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
>> > wrote:

>>> I keep honey in a glass jar. I've got plenty of glass jars around, so if I
>>> buy honey in a plastic container I can just dispense it into a glass jar
>>> when I get it home.
>>>

>> Do you have a trick to keep it from crystallizing?

Eat it. duh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2011 1:42 AM, Goomba wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:23:09 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
>> > wrote:

>>> I keep honey in a glass jar. I've got plenty of glass jars around, so
>>> if I buy honey in a plastic container I can just dispense it into a
>>> glass jar when I get it home.
>>>

>> Do you have a trick to keep it from crystallizing?
>>

> sit the jar in a container of warm water, or nuke it

Just don't nuke honey in a plastic dispenser. The plastic will often
soften or melt in a surprisingly short time.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

"Not": obvious change in "Reply To"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2011 3:13 PM, Gorio wrote:
> 'Bob Terwilliger[_1_ Wrote:
>> ;1586243']sf wrote:
>> -
>> I hate plastic for honey. My house is colder than what honey likes so
>> it
>> crystallizes and plastic doesn't do well with sweet stuff inside when I
>>
>> microwave it.-
>>
>> I keep honey in a glass jar. I've got plenty of glass jars around, so if
>> buy honey in a plastic container I can just dispense it into a glass jar
>>
>> when I get it home.
>>
>> Bob

> I buy bulk honey in gallon glass jugs (with the snap down lids). I bet
> if you look around, you can find bulk honey for cheap. It's $4/lb where
> I live if you buy three or more pounds.

We're getting back to the problem of messy jars and dispensers! Plastic
squeeze bottles don't drip very much unlike other ways of using honey.
It does depend on how warm is your house. I think honey solidifies at
about 65F but my house is warmer than that during the day.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

"Not": obvious change in "Reply To"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:42:35 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 2/28/2011 1:42 AM, Goomba wrote:
> > sf wrote:
> >> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:23:09 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"

> >> Do you have a trick to keep it from crystallizing?
> >>

> > sit the jar in a container of warm water, or nuke it

> Just don't nuke honey in a plastic dispenser. The plastic will often
> soften or melt in a surprisingly short time.

She wasn't reading for comprehension, it was just an opportunity to
pontificate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:46:22 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> We're getting back to the problem of messy jars and dispensers! Plastic
> squeeze bottles don't drip very much unlike other ways of using honey.
> It does depend on how warm is your house. I think honey solidifies at
> about 65F but my house is warmer than that during the day.

That's the problem here. My house is rarely over 64° and usually
lower. I prefer honey in wide mouthed glass jars.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:42:35 -0500, James Silverton
> > wrote:

>>> sit the jar in a container of warm water, or nuke it

>> Just don't nuke honey in a plastic dispenser. The plastic will often
>> soften or melt in a surprisingly short time.

> She wasn't reading for comprehension, it was just an opportunity to
> pontificate.

Are you saying that putting a jar of crystalized honey into warm water
won't work?

Oldtimers hotair[_2_] Barbecue 7 07-01-2016 06:33 AM
TN: Back to NY- young Nebbiolo, couple Kabs, couple Chardonnays, etc DaleW Wine 9 20-08-2014 08:58 PM
OT PING: Oldtimers - Rainbw bridge time. Chemiker General Cooking 8 03-08-2011 12:19 AM
Are there any of the oldtimers left? Michael Nielsen[_2_] General Cooking 147 21-04-2009 11:59 AM
TN: Lagrange, de Pez, Brunello, couple Burgs, couple Austrian stickies, Port DaleW Wine 9 19-01-2006 01:33 PM