Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight....Shepherd's Pie

In article >,
says...

> In article >,

says...

> > When a statement on wikipedia [ "The term "shepherd's pie" did not
> > appear until the 1870s, and since then it has been used synonymously
> > with "cottage pie", regardless of whether the principal ingredient was
> > beef or mutton."] is accompanied by 7 citations- you know it has been
> > looked into-

> But what we don't know, is whether those who "looked into" it, all
> read the same wrong source and perpetuated the same error from it.
>
> It may be true that the term shepherds pie first appeared IN PRINT
> until the 1870's, but that's not surprising. Until that period, only the
> affluent elite (mostly males) were educated or literate. In earlier days
> there was no reason to publish recipes for labourers' food because that
> social class didn't go to school, didn't learn to read, and didn't buy
> books.
>
> Traditional dishes (and names) would have been known long before the
> arrival of printed recipe books.
>
> Janet.

But the whole argument is silly. You have a few folks here who seem to
need to be the authority on everything and anything to the point where
if you disagree, they get insulting. A similar stupid argument here in
the US would be if I got all snooty with somebody because they called a
big sandwich on a long roll, a Sub or a hogie, instead of a grinder! I
call them grinders, but I don't insult and get all uppity if someone
calls it a hogie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> I think you lose this round Goomba. It's nice to know why my
> [imaginary] shepherd's pie ordered in Dublin tastes 'off' to me-- but
> I'm not going to re-eductate everyone who eats them at my house.
>
> Jim
> [and that's why I'm a 'Martini' pedant-- I don't want Martini to mean
> different things to different people. That ship has sailed on
> cottage pie in the US, though.]

Sorry, Jim, but I think you've lost the battle on martini. It's not
ignorance, it's preference and greed. When fancy restaurants feature
chocolate and fruit martinis on their main menu pages for US$10 or more
each, and bartenders pour vodka unless you specify "gin martini", it's
too late!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:34:35 -0800, "M. JL Esq." >
wrote:

> only a distinction if your a shepherd and/or live in n pbgtage

If the term Cottage Pie existed before Shepherd's Pie did, where's the
logic in a beef/sheep dispute?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:12:09 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> and that's why I'm a 'Martini' pedant-- I don't want Martini to mean
> different things to different people. That ship has sailed on
> cottage pie in the US, though.

The martini ship has sailed too. I am usually quizzed about if I want
vodka or gin. So when I order one these days, I say "gin martini" or
take a chance on getting vodka if the server didn't clarify. To be
perfectly honest, super filtered gin and vodka taste the same - like
water. The only flavor in there is vermouth and not much when the
martini is dry. I think that's why "dirty" martinis are all the rage
now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_pie

> > Who's the ignorant one now?

> Still you, as usual.
>
> Especially since you already posted "Yes, I know Wikipedia is not
> necessarily considered to be an expert. I could look elsewhere. But
> I'm not gonna."

That Wiki article had enough cites to choke a horse; so if anybody
wants to dispute what it says, they can take it up with Wiki. AFAIC
the article is correct about the folk etymology angle too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:54:39 -0500, I_am_Tosk
> wrote:

> Now we just need an argument on stoves and ranges

plus hobs and cookers

> ... which will matter about as much...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:54:39 -0500, I_am_Tosk
> > wrote:
>

>>Now we just need an argument on stoves and ranges

> plus hobs and cookers

And sometimes its not the word chosen but how its pronounced, route vs.
root.

Leave it to the ENglish to get up set over accent. Though one time i
grossed out an old english couple sitting next to me in a restaurant
when i picked up my hamburger in my hands. They were visibly stocked
and made an ostentatious point of asking for a knife and fork to eat
theirs with.
--
JL

>>... which will matter about as much...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/02/2011 11:08 AM, sf wrote:

> Americans call either type Shepherd's Pie. I used to think it was
> just me, but it's not.

My mother made it with beef and called it Shepherd's pie. Not only
that,she used leftover roast beef, not fresh ground. It was not until
this topic was discussed here about a year that I learned that
Shepherd's pie traditionally used lamb and that if beef is used it is
called Cottage pie.

Curiously, at that time, references all supported that, and it appears
that the Wikipedia article on Cottage pie was altered on just a few days
ago,

I realize that lots of people will only do enough research to find
something that supports their claim and will disregard any others. I
did searches for both Cottage pie and Shepherds pie and it I found an
incredible variety of recipes and views on the beef/lamb issue. While
some say that Shepherds pie is made with beef, lots of them say lamb,
some say wither, some say it was traditionally lamb, some say it was
cottage pie and when lamb was used they changed it to shepherd's pie.
One said that it used leftover meat.... which is what I was how I
remembered it as a kid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 15:11:27 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>

>>In article >,
says...

>>>The point is, the general rule here in the US is Shepherds pie is made
>>>with beef mostly in the US. Call it what you want

>> How about that so-called souffle recipe that was just posted? That
>>recipe, was not souffle.

And was called "mock souffle" however if you look up the etymology of
souffle it is an appropriate term for the aforementioned recipe.

One can sufflare a cup of tea.

However many Americans call bread pudding
>>souffle, makes no difference to the fact; it ain't.

In your imagination perhaps, most americans don't use the term souffle
at all much less as a term for bread pudding.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I realize that lots of people will only do enough research to find
> something that supports their claim and will disregard any others. I
> did searches for both Cottage pie and Shepherds pie and it I found an
> incredible variety of recipes and views on the beef/lamb issue. While
> some say that Shepherds pie is made with beef, lots of them say lamb,
> some say wither, some say it was traditionally lamb, some say it was
> cottage pie and when lamb was used they changed it to shepherd's pie.
> One said that it used leftover meat.... which is what I was how I
> remembered it as a kid.

leftover meat was also my understanding of its history.
Sort of like how Bubble & Squeak (a childhood favorite of mine) was
traditionally a way to use those Sunday leftovers of cabbage and potatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/02/2011 1:57 PM, Goomba wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I realize that lots of people will only do enough research to find
>> something that supports their claim and will disregard any others. I
>> did searches for both Cottage pie and Shepherds pie and it I found an
>> incredible variety of recipes and views on the beef/lamb issue. While
>> some say that Shepherds pie is made with beef, lots of them say lamb,
>> some say wither, some say it was traditionally lamb, some say it was
>> cottage pie and when lamb was used they changed it to shepherd's pie.
>> One said that it used leftover meat.... which is what I was how I
>> remembered it as a kid.

> leftover meat was also my understanding of its history.
> Sort of like how Bubble & Squeak (a childhood favorite of mine) was
> traditionally a way to use those Sunday leftovers of cabbage and potatoes.

There is also the matter of the leftover joint, which in much of the UK
might be more likely to be mutton than beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 23, 5:45*pm, James Silverton > wrote:
> On 2/23/2011 6:43 PM, Dave Smith wrote:> It was a first for me. I was raised on my mother's version of Shepherd's
> > Pie, typically made with leftover roast beef that had been put through a
> > grinder. It was good. It wasn't until recently that I learned here that
> > Shepherd's Pie is supposed to be made with lamb.

> > My wife had picked up some ground lamb and was wondering what to do with
> > it. I suggested Shepherd's Pie. It was great. I can see us eting a lot
> > more of that stuff.

> Possibly, a shepherd might be expected to cook sheep but Shepherd's Pie
> made with ground beef is very good!
>
> --
>
> James Silverton, Potomac

The shepherd might put the beef in his dinner pie, but when the
evening is over, he'll share his bed with the lamb.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 12:02*pm, "M. JL Esq." > wrote:
> Janet wrote:
> > In article >, says...

> >> *only *a distinction if your a shepherd and/or live in a cottage

> > * Well, that certainly explains why crockpots are too hard for some
> > here.

> > * Janet

> Really? i thought that would explain why they are so popular here

It's why the shepherds are so hard for the sheep here. They don't
require a step ladder.

> --
> JL

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 12:39*pm, "M. JL Esq." > wrote:
> *Though one time i
> grossed out an old english couple sitting next to me in a restaurant
> when i picked up my hamburger in my hands. *They were visibly stocked
> and made an ostentatious point of asking for a knife and fork to eat
> theirs with.

Several years ago a niece came over for dinner. She ate fried chicken
with a knife and fork. Weird.

> --
> JL

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 12:22*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 13:49:56 -0000, Janet > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > says...

> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_pie

> > > Who's the ignorant one now? *

> > * Still you, as usual.

> > *Especially since you already *posted "Yes, I know Wikipedia is not
> > necessarily considered to be an expert. *I could look elsewhere. *But
> > I'm not gonna."

> That Wiki article had enough cites to choke a horse; so if anybody
> wants to dispute what it says, they can take it up with Wiki. *AFAIC
> the article is correct about the folk etymology angle too.

Shepherds have been known to choke the lamb during the act.
Apparently it makes it wriggle nicely. It wouldn't work with a
horse. No shepherd has arms long enough.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 24, 8:33*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 24/02/2011 7:19 AM, Portland wrote:
>
> > Shepard's pie is associated with shepherds I presume. *That doesn't
> > mean that those folks didn't make it with beef. *I've always had it
> > with beef. *Never lamb.

> People seem to be easily confused about shepherds, cowboys, sheep and
> cows. Just look at the public reaction to the film Brokeback Mountain.
> It was so controversial to have a movie about a *** love affair between
> two cowboys. They weren't cowboys. They were shepherds, and people have
> been cracking jokes about shepherds for years.

Yeah, but shepherds are supposed to do it with the lambs, not with
EACH OTHER!

--Bryan

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf[_9_] View Post
On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 21:28:42 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"sf"
wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 18:43:34 -0500, Dave Smith
wrote:

It was a first for me. I was raised on my mother's version of Shepherd's
Pie, typically made with leftover roast beef that had been put through a
grinder. It was good. It wasn't until recently that I learned here that
Shepherd's Pie is supposed to be made with lamb.

My wife had picked up some ground lamb and was wondering what to do with
it. I suggested Shepherd's Pie. It was great. I can see us eting a lot
more of that stuff.

Being North American... Shepard's Pie can be lamb or beef for me.
I've been making shepherds (cottage) pie lately, once with lamb. Both
ways are wonderful, but ground beef is easier to find than ground lamb
here. I like your mother's version. Is that what minced beef is?
Thought in Britain "minced" was a finer grind than "ground"... but it
didn't make sense to me.

I looked on Wikipedia after checking recipes and finding many of them that
call for ground beef. According to them, either Shepard's or Cottage can be
made with any kind of meat and boringly they were. But in later years, the
term, Shepard's became associated with lamb. However either term is correct
for any meat. I think what you call it depends on where you live. If you
order Shepard's in a restaurant here, you will get it with beef.

A shepherd is "a person who tends sheep", but beef is our bias - so if
you're American, you're likely to get beef not lamb. We even fought
range wars over the beef or sheep thing because the cattle people
thought sheep stripped all vegetation cattle could eat from the land.
Pleasant Valley War in Arizona They were
probably right, but you really want to clear land you should bring in
some goats.

I've tried goat. I'll take lamb or beef over that any day. I love it when we have silly debates over semantics. Our language is static and changes to include things that were previously left out.

I love the pies and pasties, beef or lamb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"M. JL Esq." > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:54:39 -0500, I_am_Tosk
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>Now we just need an argument on stoves and ranges

>> plus hobs and cookers

> And sometimes its not the word chosen but how its pronounced, route vs.
> root.
>
> Leave it to the ENglish to get up set over accent. Though one time i
> grossed out an old english couple sitting next to me in a restaurant when
> i picked up my hamburger in my hands. They were visibly stocked and made
> an ostentatious point of asking for a knife and fork to eat theirs with.
> --

"with which to eats theirs" {;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:50:18 -0800, "M. JL Esq." >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 15:11:27 -0000, Janet > wrote:
> >

> >>In article >,
> says...

> >> How about that so-called souffle recipe that was just posted? That
> >>recipe, was not souffle.

> And was called "mock souffle" however if you look up the etymology of
> souffle it is an appropriate term for the aforementioned recipe.
>
> One can sufflare a cup of tea.
>
> However many Americans call bread pudding
> >>souffle, makes no difference to the fact; it ain't.

> In your imagination perhaps, most americans don't use the term souffle
> at all much less as a term for bread pudding.

Just making it clear that you're talking to Janet, not me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:39:35 -0800, "M. JL Esq." >
wrote:

> Leave it to the ENglish to get up set over accent. Though one time i
> grossed out an old english couple sitting next to me in a restaurant
> when i picked up my hamburger in my hands. They were visibly stocked
> and made an ostentatious point of asking for a knife and fork to eat
> theirs with.

Fingers were made before forks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 13:04:25 -0500, I_am_Tosk
> wrote:

> When I was a bartender, a Martini was Gin, period... If a customer
> wanted Vodka, they would have to ask for it specifically.

I remember those days too, but that's not the case anymore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:50:18 -0800, "M. JL Esq." >

>>>On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 15:11:27 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>> However many Americans call bread pudding souffle, makes no difference to the fact; it ain't.
>>
>>> In your imagination perhaps, most americans don't use the term souffle
>>> at all much less as a term for bread pudding.

> Just making it clear that you're talking to Janet, not me.

I cant imagine an American asserting that bread pudding is sometimes
called a souffle.

What the English are willing to label a pudding is another topic altogether.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:13:16 -0800, "M. JL Esq." >
wrote:

> WHile i prefer a brandy Alexander or a big glass of beer the above
> "martini" was very nice.

Have you ever tried a Caramel Appletini?

Ingredients

3 oz green apple vodka
or
2 oz vodka and 1 oz Sour Apple Pucker (schnapps)

*Caramel Sundae syrup in the squeeze bottle
*green apple slice

Pour the vodka (and schnapps, if you're doing that version) into a
stainless steel shaker over ice. Shake until cold, and pour into a
chilled stemmed glass that has been drizzled around the rim (inside at
the top) with caramel syrup. Garnish with the green apple and serve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 13:48:09 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 24/02/2011 11:08 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > Americans call either type Shepherd's Pie. I used to think it was
> > just me, but it's not.
> >

> My mother made it with beef and called it Shepherd's pie. Not only
> that,she used leftover roast beef, not fresh ground.

<snip>
> One said that it used leftover meat.... which is what I was how I
> remembered it as a kid.

It certainly makes sense that a dish like that was a way to use
leftovers which would support the claim that either meat is fine. I
read somewhere yesterday that one of the theories about why one of
them is called cottage pie is because the potato was not mashed, it
was sliced and layered in a way that looked like shingles on a
cottage. It seemed perfectly logical to me. In fact, I may try that
the next time I make it and skip the trouble of mashing potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 14:12:16 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> There is also the matter of the leftover joint, which in much of the UK
> might be more likely to be mutton than beef.

Is chopped up leftover cooked beef the original meaning of "mince"? I
think someone in the past mentioned here that it's a finer grind of
hamburger now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/02/2011 4:29 PM, I_am_Tosk wrote:
>>> Just making it clear that you're talking to Janet, not me.
>>>

>> I cant imagine an American asserting that bread pudding is sometimes
>> called a souffle.
>>
>> What the English are willing to label a pudding is another topic altogether.

> Hummm, I am somewhat rural I know, but I don't even know any Americans
> the "eat" souffle

I am rural too, though not American. I not only eat souffle, About once
a year I make one. They are not as tricky or complicated to make as most
people think, and they are delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/02/2011 4:34 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 14:12:16 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> There is also the matter of the leftover joint, which in much of the UK
>> might be more likely to be mutton than beef.

> Is chopped up leftover cooked beef the original meaning of "mince"? I
> think someone in the past mentioned here that it's a finer grind of
> hamburger now.

Beats me. Around here ground meat is called ground meat or hamburger,
not minced.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I_am_Tosk > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> In article >,

says...

>> > When a statement on wikipedia [ "The term "shepherd's pie" did not
>> > appear until the 1870s, and since then it has been used synonymously
>> > with "cottage pie", regardless of whether the principal ingredient

was
>> > beef or mutton."] is accompanied by 7 citations- you know it has

been
>> > looked into-

>> But what we don't know, is whether those who "looked into" it, all
>> read the same wrong source and perpetuated the same error from it.
>>
>> It may be true that the term shepherds pie first appeared IN PRINT
>> until the 1870's, but that's not surprising. Until that period, only

the
>> affluent elite (mostly males) were educated or literate. In earlier

days
>> there was no reason to publish recipes for labourers' food because that
>> social class didn't go to school, didn't learn to read, and didn't buy
>> books.
>>
>> Traditional dishes (and names) would have been known long before the
>> arrival of printed recipe books.
>>
>> Janet.

> But the whole argument is silly. You have a few folks here who seem to
> need to be the authority on everything and anything to the point where
> if you disagree, they get insulting. A similar stupid argument here in
> the US would be if I got all snooty with somebody because they called a
> big sandwich on a long roll, a Sub or a hogie, instead of a grinder! I
> call them grinders, but I don't insult and get all uppity if someone
> calls it a hogie.

Good to see someone else who sees this happening on a regular basis.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
we are.

We are Queenslanders.

We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:29:06 -0500, I_am_Tosk
> wrote:

> Hummm, I am somewhat rural I know, but I don't even know any Americans
> the "eat" souffle

Us city folk not only eat them, we make them too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:38:37 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> They are not as tricky or complicated to make as most
> people think

Shhhhh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:49:19 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 12:22*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 13:49:56 -0000, Janet > wrote:
> > > In article >,
> > > says...

> > > * Still you, as usual.

> > > *Especially since you already *posted "Yes, I know Wikipedia is not
> > > necessarily considered to be an expert. *I could look elsewhere. *But
> > > I'm not gonna."

> > That Wiki article had enough cites to choke a horse; so if anybody
> > wants to dispute what it says, they can take it up with Wiki. *AFAIC
> > the article is correct about the folk etymology angle too.
> >

> Shepherds have been known to choke the lamb during the act.
> Apparently it makes it wriggle nicely. It wouldn't work with a
> horse. No shepherd has arms long enough.

How do you know these things, Bryan?

Tonight's dinner. Julie Bove Diabetic 20 09-03-2010 05:09 PM
Tonight's dinner. Julie Bove Diabetic 20 27-02-2010 11:05 AM
Tonight's dinner Julie Bove Diabetic 0 04-02-2010 12:52 AM
Dinner tonight Sat 8th Aug PeterL[_17_] General Cooking 0 08-08-2009 02:56 PM