Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bittman shreds McDonalds "healthy" oatmeal

On 26/02/2011 7:06 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 2/25/2011 2:48 PM, Goomba wrote:
>> Pete C. wrote:
>>
>>> I only use instant oatmeal packets in two places - my camper and my
>>> emergency "bug out bag". For home use it is strictly Quaker Old
>>> Fashioned oatmeal microwaved for 1.5-2 min depending on starting water
>>> temp.

>> I keep a packet of Quaker maple brown sugar oats in my work bag. Come 5
>> AM at work if I'm starving I can mix up a little oatmeal in a styrofoam
>> cup using the instant hot water dispenser and eat 'em with a wooden
>> tongue blade on the run. It helps keep body and soul together for a few
>> more hours...

> Actually, a dry mixture of (usually Quaker) oats with raisins is quite
> palatable and does not need moisture for a small snack. To tell the
> truth, I actually prefer that to Scots porridge with salt and I can't
> stand sweetened cooked oatmeal.

Do your friends keep clear of you when you eat that?

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/02/2011 12:13 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> In >,
> says...
>>
>> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:03:32 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
>> > wrote:

>>> Maybe there exist some people who think oatmeal is healthy so they try
>>> it at McDonalds without thinking the issue through.
>>>
>>> After all with instant oatmeal packets "when the machine beeps, take it
>>> out" is exactly the way their oatmeal at home works.

>> Exactly.

> I find it amusing that this whole discussion focuses on the health
> aspects. Is oatmeal so disgusting that nobody would eat it just because
> they _like_ it?

I had oatmeal fed to me as a child! I didn't like it then and I don't
like it now! Even if it were the healthiest food on the planet, it's off
my menu for good.

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
says...

> On 26/02/2011 12:13 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> > In >,

> > says...
> >>
> >> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:03:32 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger

> >> Exactly.

> > I find it amusing that this whole discussion focuses on the health
> > aspects. Is oatmeal so disgusting that nobody would eat it just because
> > they _like_ it?
> >

> I had oatmeal fed to me as a child! I didn't like it then and I don't
> like it now! Even if it were the healthiest food on the planet, it's off
> my menu for good.

Don't assume that most of the public is like you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 7:13*pm, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>

> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:03:32 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> > > wrote:

> > > Maybe there exist some people who think oatmeal is healthy so they try
> > > it at McDonalds without thinking the issue through.

> > > After all with instant oatmeal packets "when the machine beeps, take it
> > > out" is exactly the way their oatmeal at home works.

> > Exactly.

> I find it amusing that this whole discussion focuses on the health
> aspects. *Is oatmeal so disgusting that nobody would eat it just because
> they _like_ it?

It's sure good in cookies:
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/...l-lace-cookies

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/02/2011 12:32 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> In m.au>,
> says...
>>
>> On 26/02/2011 12:13 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> says...

>>> I find it amusing that this whole discussion focuses on the health
>>> aspects. Is oatmeal so disgusting that nobody would eat it just because
>>> they _like_ it?
>>>

>> I had oatmeal fed to me as a child! I didn't like it then and I don't
>> like it now! Even if it were the healthiest food on the planet, it's off
>> my menu for good.

> Don't assume that most of the public is like you.

I was simply stating MY experience and I wasn't aware that I made any
assumption of any kind. Instead, it was you who made a presumption.

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

atec77 wrote:

> On 26/02/2011 10:31 PM, Krypsis wrote:
> > On 26/02/2011 12:13 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> >> In >,
> >> says...

> >> I find it amusing that this whole discussion focuses on the health
> >> aspects. Is oatmeal so disgusting that nobody would eat it just because
> >> they _like_ it?
> >>

> > I had oatmeal fed to me as a child! I didn't like it then and I don't
> > like it now! Even if it were the healthiest food on the planet, it's off
> > my menu for good.
> >
> > Krypsis
> >

> There is a theory that any grain that needs cooking should be avoided
> google Palaeolithic diet

Oatmeal does not require cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> atec77 > wrote:
>
>> There is a theory that any grain that needs cooking should be avoided
>> google Palaeolithic diet

> There is also a theory that learning to use fire to cook food is what
> allowed humans to evolve; cooking releases some nutrients for easier
> absorbtion.

A feature common to the various write ups of paleolithic systems -

If you can acquire a food with no technology more advanced than a sharp
stick and you can eat it raw without any ill effects, then go ahead and
eat it either raw or cooked as you prefer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 24/02/2011 6:18 AM, ViLco wrote:
>

> > Unluckily, when McDonald's first came to my town we were in the end of the
> > 90's and all was as you found it few years ago, so no
> > McDonald's-good-old-days for us, just what you see now.
> > Did I write unluckily? Heh, maybe it's been the opposite...

> MacDonalds was late arriving in our town, It is probably one of the
> least profitable outlets in the franchise. Given my unappreciative view
> of MacDonald's view, I am always surprised to see so many people at
> them. Not this one. I can't help but notice that there is rarely anyone
> there.

My hometown is probably the last one in the state of NY without a
McDonald's or a Subway. There is a pizza joint and a burger shop,
nothing else. The best meals in town are the fundraising chicken
barbecues or other feeds put on by churches, the volunteer fire
department, or the American Legion.

Getting (way) back to the original post, I read Bittman's article.
Taking a basic food, dolling it up to appeal to the taste buds of the
public, making it fast, and slapping on a large marketing campaign has
been the Fast Food Way for years. He just pointed out the obvious.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me