Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bumble Bee Tuna

5 OZ can $ 1.00 each on sale.

Actual Tuna (drained) 3 3/8 oz. (32% water by weight)

One may be better off by poaching their own tuna.

What a rip-off.

Dimitri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-02-19, Dimitri > wrote:
> 5 OZ can $ 1.00 each on sale.
>
> Actual Tuna (drained) 3 3/8 oz. (32% water by weight)
>
> One may be better off by poaching their own tuna.
>
> What a rip-off.

What that tuna a solid cake of meat or more of a tuna slurry,
difficult to drain from the water?

Starkist came in a 6oz can and had about the same amount or less meat,
despite being a solid cake of tuna meat which was easily drained.

There are no winners on the customer side.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2011 2:21 PM, Dimitri wrote:
> 5 OZ can $ 1.00 each on sale.
>
> Actual Tuna (drained) 3 3/8 oz. (32% water by weight)
> One may be better off by poaching their own tuna.
>
> What a rip-off.
>
> Dimitri

Can you buy good tuna for $1.00 x 16/3.375 ($4.75 a pound)?

--

James Silverton, Potomac

Note: obvious change in "Reply To"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Actual Tuna (drained) 3 3/8 oz. (32% water by weight)
>
> One may be better off by poaching their own tuna.
>
> What a rip-off.

If you have ever canned your own Tuna, Trout or Salmon you would know that
even dry packing it you have more than a half a jar full of water/oil after
processing. The oilier the fish the more liquid after canning. While bumble
bee may add water to it's product I would be surprised if it is more than
just a little. 32% water and oil sounds about right after canning to me...

Cliff

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
>5 OZ can $ 1.00 each on sale.
>
> Actual Tuna (drained) 3 3/8 oz. (32% water by weight)
> One may be better off by poaching their own tuna.
>
> What a rip-off.

I buy the Kirkland brand (Costco) Albacore packed in water. I'd rather have
non-Albcore but that's what they sell. It tastes fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> 5 OZ can $ 1.00 each on sale.
>
> Actual Tuna (drained) 3 3/8 oz. (32% water by weight)
>
> One may be better off by poaching their own tuna.
>
> What a rip-off.
>
> Dimitri

I only buy the oil pack pouch tuna. I don't know how it compares in cost
per useable ounce, but since I consider the horrid mushy water pack tuna
to be unusable, it inherently beats it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>5 OZ can $ 1.00 each on sale.
>>
>> Actual Tuna (drained) 3 3/8 oz. (32% water by weight)
>> One may be better off by poaching their own tuna.
>>
>> What a rip-off.

> I buy the Kirkland brand (Costco) Albacore packed in water. I'd rather
> have non-Albcore but that's what they sell. It tastes fine.

Costco is what I usually use but I was out - Lately Costco is selling
Chicken of the sea or Star-Kist (Solid) 7 Oz cans 'bout 1.25 each while the
Costco Kirkland is running close to 2 bucks a can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:21:34 -0800, "Dimitri" >
arranged random neurons and said:

>5 OZ can $ 1.00 each on sale.
>
>Actual Tuna (drained) 3 3/8 oz. (32% water by weight)
>
>One may be better off by poaching their own tuna.
>
>What a rip-off.

It's pricier, but you can't beat Wild Planet's skipjack tuna for
taste. About $3.75 per 5 ounce can, but it's all tuna, no filler, no
water, just 5 ounces of fish (and some sea salt).

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 1:29*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Tuna should come in 14-15 ounce cans just like salmon and mackerel.

Only if it also comes in the little 3-ounce cans that I prefer.

I don't know what I'd do with almost a pound of tuna, since
3 ounces makes a sizable sandwich, and I only need one.

Cindy Hamilton