Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chorizo!

I have several recipes for chorizo, and it occurred to me that chorizo might
be a good thing to make in the grey gloomy weather we're experiencing here
in Northern California. Then it struck me that chorizo is only part of the
equation: What do you do *with* chorizo?

Poking around online I found this recipe:

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=172

Queso Fundido Burger
Serves 4

Ingredients
2 fresh medium poblano chiles
1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons oil
1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
8 ounces chorizo, cooked
1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, finely minced, seeded if you wish
8 thick slices Monterey Jack cheese
4 hamburger buns, lightly toasted

The recipe has you do what you might expect, but out of concern over
violating copyright laws I'm not going to post it here. The general
description follows:

Roast the chiles until blackened; remove the skin. Cut open and remove the
stems and seeds; cut into strips. Cook onions briefly; add chiles and garlic
and cook until the garlic has softened.

Make patties with the obvious ingredients. Grill patties one one side. Turn
patties over, top with cheese, then the veggies, then more cheese, cover the
grill, and cook until done. Place on buns and eat.

I think I'll try making those this coming Sunday.

Another chorizo application I want to try is a cocido-like hearty soup using
Mexican-style chorizo; it seems like another good dish for wet chilly
weather. It won't be all that close to "real" cocido since Lin doesn't like
garbanzos, but it'll follow the general idea.

What are your favorite ways to use chorizo?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 4:54*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> I have several recipes for chorizo, and it occurred to me that chorizo might
> be a good thing to make in the grey gloomy weather we're experiencing here
> in Northern California. Then it struck me that chorizo is only part of the
> equation: What do you do *with* chorizo?
>
> Poking around online I found this recipe:
>
> http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=172
>
> Queso Fundido Burger
> Serves 4
>
> Ingredients
> 2 fresh medium poblano chiles
> 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 2 teaspoons oil
> 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
> 8 ounces chorizo, cooked
> 1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, finely minced, seeded if you wish
> 8 thick slices Monterey Jack cheese
> 4 hamburger buns, lightly toasted
>
> The recipe has you do what you might expect, but out of concern over
> violating copyright laws I'm not going to post it here. The general
> description follows:
>
> Roast the chiles until blackened; remove the skin. Cut open and remove the
> stems and seeds; cut into strips. Cook onions briefly; add chiles and garlic
> and cook until the garlic has softened.
>
> Make patties with the obvious ingredients. Grill patties one one side. Turn
> patties over, top with cheese, then the veggies, then more cheese, cover the
> grill, and cook until done. Place on buns and eat.
>
> I think I'll try making those this coming Sunday.
>
> Another chorizo application I want to try is a cocido-like hearty soup using
> Mexican-style chorizo; it seems like another good dish for wet chilly
> weather. It won't be all that close to "real" cocido since Lin doesn't like
> garbanzos, but it'll follow the general idea.
>
> What are your favorite ways to use chorizo?
>
> Bob

I made my own chorizo when I made paella the first and only time...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
-snip-
>8 ounces chorizo, cooked

-snip-

I'm curious what a recipe means when it says 'Chorizo'. I haven't
ever noticed it in our grocery stores- but when a Meat House opened up
nearby I was poking around and found some packaged sausages marked
'chorizo'. 4-5 sausages to the pound, looked a lot like kielbasa.

Then I found another one labeled chorizo. This one looked like a
pepperoni.

Are either of these what merryb makes?

What makes a 'chorizo'- a 'chorizo'? and which one is usually meant
in a recipe?

[Both were good- but not worth the premium price to me. I must be too
used to italian style sausages.]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I have several recipes for chorizo, and it occurred to me that chorizo might
> be a good thing to make in the grey gloomy weather we're experiencing here
> in Northern California. Then it struck me that chorizo is only part of the
> equation: What do you do *with* chorizo?
>
> Poking around online I found this recipe:
>
> http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=172

<clipped>
> What are your favorite ways to use chorizo?
>
> Bob

I made Rick Bayless' recipe for chorizo to make into his recipe for
queso fundido, and thought the recipe way underspiced. But I'm no
chorizo expert. Have you made it yet? What did you think of the spice
levvel?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:00:02 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
> -snip-
> >8 ounces chorizo, cooked

> -snip-
>
> I'm curious what a recipe means when it says 'Chorizo'. I haven't
> ever noticed it in our grocery stores- but when a Meat House opened up
> nearby I was poking around and found some packaged sausages marked
> 'chorizo'. 4-5 sausages to the pound, looked a lot like kielbasa.
>
> Then I found another one labeled chorizo. This one looked like a
> pepperoni.
>
> Are either of these what merryb makes?

I'm guessing merryb made the Mexican style (loose, uncured), not
Spanish. http://www.mexican-barbecue-recipes....zo-recipe.html
(scroll down for recipes)

> What makes a 'chorizo'- a 'chorizo'?

What is the difference between Italian sausage and pepperoni?

> and which one is usually meant in a recipe?

Either you know that it's a Spanish or Mexican recipe, or they tell
you which type to use.

> [Both were good- but not worth the premium price to me. I must be too
> used to italian style sausages.]

I tried Spanish style chorizo once and was under-whelmed too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2011 8:27 AM, Goomba wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> I have several recipes for chorizo, and it occurred to me that chorizo
>> might
>> be a good thing to make in the grey gloomy weather we're experiencing
>> here
>> in Northern California. Then it struck me that chorizo is only part of
>> the
>> equation: What do you do *with* chorizo?
>>
>> Poking around online I found this recipe:
>>
>> http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=172

> <clipped>
>> What are your favorite ways to use chorizo?
>>
>> Bob

> I made Rick Bayless' recipe for chorizo to make into his recipe for
> queso fundido, and thought the recipe way underspiced. But I'm no
> chorizo expert. Have you made it yet? What did you think of the spice
> levvel?

You should feel free to change the seasonings to your taste. My guess is
that most chorizo recipes are underspiced - mostly they're seasoned to
not put off the majority of people. I love that stuff but there's hardly
any on this island and only one company that makes is well - Kukui
sausage co.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:00:02 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
> wrote:
>
> > "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
> > -snip-
> > >8 ounces chorizo, cooked

> > -snip-
> >
> > I'm curious what a recipe means when it says 'Chorizo'. I haven't
> > ever noticed it in our grocery stores- but when a Meat House opened up
> > nearby I was poking around and found some packaged sausages marked
> > 'chorizo'. 4-5 sausages to the pound, looked a lot like kielbasa.
> >
> > Then I found another one labeled chorizo. This one looked like a
> > pepperoni.
> >
> > Are either of these what merryb makes?

> I'm guessing merryb made the Mexican style (loose, uncured), not
> Spanish. http://www.mexican-barbecue-recipes....zo-recipe.html
> (scroll down for recipes)
> >
> > What makes a 'chorizo'- a 'chorizo'?

> What is the difference between Italian sausage and pepperoni?
>
> > and which one is usually meant in a recipe?

> Either you know that it's a Spanish or Mexican recipe, or they tell
> you which type to use.
> >
> > [Both were good- but not worth the premium price to me. I must be too
> > used to italian style sausages.]
> >

> I tried Spanish style chorizo once and was under-whelmed too.

You might like real Spanish (from Spain) chorizo. The imitators are
never quite as good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > I have several recipes for chorizo, and it occurred to me that chorizo might
> > be a good thing to make in the grey gloomy weather we're experiencing here
> > in Northern California. Then it struck me that chorizo is only part of the
> > equation: What do you do *with* chorizo?
> >
> > Poking around online I found this recipe:
> >
> > http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=172

> <clipped>
> > What are your favorite ways to use chorizo?
> >
> > Bob
> >

> I made Rick Bayless' recipe for chorizo to make into his recipe for
> queso fundido, and thought the recipe way underspiced. But I'm no
> chorizo expert. Have you made it yet? What did you think of the spice
> levvel?

Rick Bayless does sometimes tone down the spiciness of his recipes. The
commercial Mexican-type chorizo sold locally varies quite a bit. Some
brands spicier than others.

Mexican-type chorizo tastes very good crumbled and fried together with
chunks of cooked potato, onion, garlic and strips of green or red bell
peppers.
It's also used in breakfast burritos, quesadillas, tostadas, nachos.
Nearly anywhere crumbled minced beef can be used.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 17:50:15 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

> You might like real Spanish (from Spain) chorizo. The imitators are
> never quite as good.

I was lucky just to find "spanish" chorizo, I don't remember if it was
labeled "from Spain" or not. In any case, I'm more interested in
finding a better andouille than I am in finding a better Spanish
chorizo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 17:54:21 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

> Goomba wrote:
> >
> > Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > > I have several recipes for chorizo, and it occurred to me that chorizo might
> > > be a good thing to make in the grey gloomy weather we're experiencing here
> > > in Northern California. Then it struck me that chorizo is only part of the
> > > equation: What do you do *with* chorizo?
> > >
> > > Poking around online I found this recipe:
> > >
> > > http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=172

> > <clipped>
> > > What are your favorite ways to use chorizo?
> > >
> > > Bob
> > >

> > I made Rick Bayless' recipe for chorizo to make into his recipe for
> > queso fundido, and thought the recipe way underspiced. But I'm no
> > chorizo expert. Have you made it yet? What did you think of the spice
> > levvel?

> Rick Bayless does sometimes tone down the spiciness of his recipes. The
> commercial Mexican-type chorizo sold locally varies quite a bit. Some
> brands spicier than others.

So, what is the Rick Bayless recipe for chorizo?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 18, 6:47*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 17:54:21 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> > Goomba wrote:

> > > <clipped>

> > > I made Rick Bayless' recipe for chorizo to make into his recipe for
> > > queso fundido, and thought the recipe way underspiced. But I'm no
> > > chorizo expert. Have you made it yet? What did you think of the spice
> > > levvel?

> > Rick Bayless does sometimes tone down the spiciness of his recipes. The
> > commercial Mexican-type chorizo sold locally varies quite a bit. Some
> > brands spicier than others.

> So, what is the Rick Bayless recipe for chorizo?
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

My Mexican cook used hot Mexican chorizo(bulk) to 'season' taco
meat. She would brown the burger meat and chorizo together and drain
well. It makes fabulous taco meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marty asked:

> Do you use the chorizo in a chub, for example, Supremo brand? I think that
> stuff is absolutely horrible, gristly and full of fat. I understand
> there's a "correct" way to use it but to me it's a waste of money. I only
> buy chorizo if I'm going to a grocery that makes it fresh, or I just make
> it myself whenever I'm doing sausage.

I plan on making it myself. That way I can control the amount of fat (and
leave out the porcine salivary glands).

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 19:26:30 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> My Mexican cook used hot Mexican chorizo(bulk) to 'season' taco
> meat. She would brown the burger meat and chorizo together and drain
> well. It makes fabulous taco meat.

Have you ever made chorizo yourself? It's very easy and fabulously
different from commercial kind. If you use "good" ground pork, it's
almost fat free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 12:00*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
> -snip->8 ounces chorizo, cooked
>
> -snip-
>
> I'm curious what a recipe means when it says 'Chorizo'. * I haven't
> ever noticed it in our grocery stores- but when a Meat House opened up
> nearby I was poking around and found some packaged sausages marked
> 'chorizo'. * 4-5 sausages to the pound, looked a lot like kielbasa.
>
> Then I found another one labeled chorizo. *This one looked like a
> pepperoni. * *
>
> Are either of these what merryb makes?
>
> What makes a 'chorizo'- a 'chorizo'? *and which one is usually meant
> in a recipe?
>
> [Both were good- but not worth the premium price to me. *I must be too
> used to italian style sausages.]
>
> Jim

Where I came from, Fall River Massachusett, the same place where
Emeral comes from.
There's a few places that makes it. There it's pronouce "cher
reece". It's a Porchugese(sp?) sausage.
They make two kinds. One mild and one hot. But the hot one isn't too
too hot. I usually buy the hot one.
I can find it here in Connecticut where I now live. It is shaped like
kielbasa. I cut it in half then cut both
pieces in half lenth wise. Then I slice it in pieces about 3/4 inch
and pan fry it with a little water to get it started.
I also cover it up. I don't add anything to it since it already has
spices in it when it's being made.

I'm sure there's other ways of cooking this. But this is the only way
I know about.

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2011 7:00 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> "Bob > wrote:
> -snip-
>> 8 ounces chorizo, cooked

> -snip-
>
> I'm curious what a recipe means when it says 'Chorizo'. I haven't
> ever noticed it in our grocery stores- but when a Meat House opened up
> nearby I was poking around and found some packaged sausages marked
> 'chorizo'. 4-5 sausages to the pound, looked a lot like kielbasa.
>
> Then I found another one labeled chorizo. This one looked like a
> pepperoni.
>
> Are either of these what merryb makes?
>
> What makes a 'chorizo'- a 'chorizo'? and which one is usually meant
> in a recipe?
>
> [Both were good- but not worth the premium price to me. I must be too
> used to italian style sausages.]
>
> Jim

Chorizos will vary wildly - some are uncured with no binding agents that
fall apart, some will be a smoked, fully cooked product, some will be a
cured hard sausage.

To me, a chorizo should be flavored with garlic, cumin with some vinegar
but most of them don't seem to fit that flavor profile. I like the
uncured loose chorizos and will get some in that style when it's
available. I just bought some Farmer John chorizo tonight. It comes in a
chub packaging and just falls apart in the pan when you fry it leaving a
lot of reddish oil in the pan. I guess a lot of people would find it
disgusting but it is tasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 23:37:47 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>On 2/18/2011 7:00 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> "Bob > wrote:
>> -snip-
>>> 8 ounces chorizo, cooked

>> -snip-
>>
>> I'm curious what a recipe means when it says 'Chorizo'. I haven't
>> ever noticed it in our grocery stores- but when a Meat House opened up
>> nearby I was poking around and found some packaged sausages marked
>> 'chorizo'. 4-5 sausages to the pound, looked a lot like kielbasa.
>>
>> Then I found another one labeled chorizo. This one looked like a
>> pepperoni.
>>
>> Are either of these what merryb makes?
>>
>> What makes a 'chorizo'- a 'chorizo'? and which one is usually meant
>> in a recipe?
>>
>> [Both were good- but not worth the premium price to me. I must be too
>> used to italian style sausages.]
>>
>> Jim

>Chorizos will vary wildly - some are uncured with no binding agents that
>fall apart, some will be a smoked, fully cooked product, some will be a
>cured hard sausage.
>
>To me, a chorizo should be flavored with garlic, cumin with some vinegar
>but most of them don't seem to fit that flavor profile. I like the
>uncured loose chorizos and will get some in that style when it's
>available. I just bought some Farmer John chorizo tonight. It comes in a
>chub packaging and just falls apart in the pan when you fry it leaving a
>lot of reddish oil in the pan. I guess a lot of people would find it
>disgusting but it is tasty.

As with all sausage there are as many kinds of chorizo as there are
those who prepare chorizo. But as with many sausage there are two
main classifications; cured and fresh. Fresh are treated the same as
typical Eyestallion sausage, cured are those that look like pepperoni,
however some are also smoked. Also those of Hispanic heritage are
seasoned very differently from Portuguese style. Personally I don't
care for chorizo no matter which, in fact it's my least favorite. I
would suggest trying the various kinds and from different sources to
find what you like. Also fresh chorizo is very easy to make yourself.

Here you'll find recipes:
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/p.../recipes/key/0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2011 4:04 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 23:37:47 -1000, > wrote:
>
>> On 2/18/2011 7:00 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>> "Bob > wrote:
>>> -snip-
>>> -snip-
>>>
>>> I'm curious what a recipe means when it says 'Chorizo'. I haven't
>>> ever noticed it in our grocery stores- but when a Meat House opened up
>>> nearby I was poking around and found some packaged sausages marked
>>> 'chorizo'. 4-5 sausages to the pound, looked a lot like kielbasa.
>>>
>>> Then I found another one labeled chorizo. This one looked like a
>>> pepperoni.
>>>
>>> Are either of these what merryb makes?
>>>
>>> What makes a 'chorizo'- a 'chorizo'? and which one is usually meant
>>> in a recipe?
>>>
>>> [Both were good- but not worth the premium price to me. I must be too
>>> used to italian style sausages.]
>>>
>>> Jim

>> Chorizos will vary wildly - some are uncured with no binding agents that
>> fall apart, some will be a smoked, fully cooked product, some will be a
>> cured hard sausage.
>>
>> To me, a chorizo should be flavored with garlic, cumin with some vinegar
>> but most of them don't seem to fit that flavor profile. I like the
>> uncured loose chorizos and will get some in that style when it's
>> available. I just bought some Farmer John chorizo tonight. It comes in a
>> chub packaging and just falls apart in the pan when you fry it leaving a
>> lot of reddish oil in the pan. I guess a lot of people would find it
>> disgusting but it is tasty.

> As with all sausage there are as many kinds of chorizo as there are
> those who prepare chorizo. But as with many sausage there are two
> main classifications; cured and fresh. Fresh are treated the same as
> typical Eyestallion sausage, cured are those that look like pepperoni,
> however some are also smoked. Also those of Hispanic heritage are
> seasoned very differently from Portuguese style. Personally I don't
> care for chorizo no matter which, in fact it's my least favorite. I
> would suggest trying the various kinds and from different sources to
> find what you like. Also fresh chorizo is very easy to make yourself.
>
> Here you'll find recipes:
> http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/p.../recipes/key/0

I like the Mexican style seasonings without the Mexican style funky
flesh added. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 17:50:15 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
> >
> > You might like real Spanish (from Spain) chorizo. The imitators are
> > never quite as good.

> I was lucky just to find "spanish" chorizo, I don't remember if it was
> labeled "from Spain" or not. In any case, I'm more interested in
> finding a better andouille than I am in finding a better Spanish
> chorizo.

Fair enough but you are basing your lack of interest on what may not
have been a representative product.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 17:54:21 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> > Goomba wrote:

> > > <clipped>

> > > I made Rick Bayless' recipe for chorizo to make into his recipe for
> > > queso fundido, and thought the recipe way underspiced. But I'm no
> > > chorizo expert. Have you made it yet? What did you think of the spice
> > > levvel?

> > Rick Bayless does sometimes tone down the spiciness of his recipes. The
> > commercial Mexican-type chorizo sold locally varies quite a bit. Some
> > brands spicier than others.

> So, what is the Rick Bayless recipe for chorizo?

He uses 12 dried ancho chiles for about 1 kilo/2 lbs of pork and fat.
Anchos aren't very hot on average.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I have several recipes for chorizo, and it occurred to me that chorizo might
> be a good thing to make in the grey gloomy weather we're experiencing here
> in Northern California. Then it struck me that chorizo is only part of the
> equation: What do you do *with* chorizo?
>
> Poking around online I found this recipe:
>
> http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=172
>
> Queso Fundido Burger
> Serves 4
>
> Ingredients
> 2 fresh medium poblano chiles
> 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 2 teaspoons oil
> 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
> 8 ounces chorizo, cooked
> 1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, finely minced, seeded if you wish
> 8 thick slices Monterey Jack cheese
> 4 hamburger buns, lightly toasted
>

> The recipe has you do what you might expect, but out of concern over
> violating copyright laws I'm not going to post it here. The general
> description follows:
>
> Roast the chiles until blackened; remove the skin. Cut open and remove the
> stems and seeds; cut into strips. Cook onions briefly; add chiles and garlic
> and cook until the garlic has softened.
>
> Make patties with the obvious ingredients. Grill patties one one side. Turn
> patties over, top with cheese, then the veggies, then more cheese, cover the
> grill, and cook until done. Place on buns and eat.
>

> I think I'll try making those this coming Sunday.
>
> Another chorizo application I want to try is a cocido-like hearty soup using
> Mexican-style chorizo; it seems like another good dish for wet chilly
> weather. It won't be all that close to "real" cocido since Lin doesn't like
> garbanzos, but it'll follow the general idea.
>
> What are your favorite ways to use chorizo?
>
> Bob

What recipe did you use for, chorizo? I am reconciled to make it
myself. Hmmm. The above recipe looks tasty!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lucille wrote:
> On Feb 18, 12:00 pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>>
>> -snip->8 ounces chorizo, cooked
>>
>> -snip-
>>
>> I'm curious what a recipe means when it says 'Chorizo'. I haven't
>> ever noticed it in our grocery stores- but when a Meat House opened up
>> nearby I was poking around and found some packaged sausages marked
>> 'chorizo'. 4-5 sausages to the pound, looked a lot like kielbasa.
>>
>> Then I found another one labeled chorizo. This one looked like a
>> pepperoni.
>>
>> Are either of these what merryb makes?
>>
>> What makes a 'chorizo'- a 'chorizo'? and which one is usually meant
>> in a recipe?
>>
>> [Both were good- but not worth the premium price to me. I must be too
>> used to italian style sausages.]
>>
>> Jim

> Where I came from, Fall River Massachusett, the same place where
> Emeral comes from.
> There's a few places that makes it. There it's pronouce "cher
> reece". It's a Porchugese(sp?) sausage.
> They make two kinds. One mild and one hot. But the hot one isn't too
> too hot. I usually buy the hot one.
> I can find it here in Connecticut where I now live. It is shaped like
> kielbasa. I cut it in half then cut both
> pieces in half lenth wise. Then I slice it in pieces about 3/4 inch
> and pan fry it with a little water to get it started.
> I also cover it up. I don't add anything to it since it already has
> spices in it when it's being made.
>
> I'm sure there's other ways of cooking this. But this is the only way
> I know about.
>
> Lucille

Well, that's yet a third kind. I (in Massachusetts) do see
that--and the Spanish chorizo. I prefer the Mexican though. I
also prefer no preservatives, which will drive me to make my own.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:50:39 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 17:50:15 -0700, Arri London >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > You might like real Spanish (from Spain) chorizo. The imitators are
> > > never quite as good.

> > I was lucky just to find "spanish" chorizo, I don't remember if it was
> > labeled "from Spain" or not. In any case, I'm more interested in
> > finding a better andouille than I am in finding a better Spanish
> > chorizo.
> >

> Fair enough but you are basing your lack of interest on what may not
> have been a representative product.

Agreed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 20:13:11 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> I prefer the Mexican though. I
> also prefer no preservatives, which will drive me to make my own.

It's *very* easy to do, Jean - if you make "bulk" chorizo and don't go
through the process of stuffing it into a case. Same with "Italian"
sausage. Putting the seasonings into ground pork is easy. It's the
stuffing and curing or smoking that takes more
time/expertise/equipment than most people have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:55:13 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >

> > So, what is the Rick Bayless recipe for chorizo?
> >

> He uses 12 dried ancho chiles for about 1 kilo/2 lbs of pork and fat.
> Anchos aren't very hot on average.

That's it? Easy! TY

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>It's *very* easy to do, Jean - if you make "bulk" chorizo and don't go
>through the process of stuffing it into a case. Same with "Italian"
>sausage. Putting the seasonings into ground pork is easy. It's the
>stuffing and curing or smoking that takes more
>time/expertise/equipment than most people have.

Yes, both very easy, but Italian sausage is a little easier because
the seasoning is less complex. Also chorizo benefits from 12 to 24
hours of "flavor blending" after it's mixed up. This creates a
timing issue, and a possible potential food safety issue[*]. With
Italian sausage, you just mix it up and use it.

Years ago I found a very good chorizo seasoning recipe in a book
titled something like "The Barbecue Bible". I wrote it on a scrap
of paper, eventually lost track of it, then it resurfaced while cleaning
a few months ago. However, I have now lost track of it again...

Steve
[*] I once made TVP chorizo sausage, set it in the fridge for
24 hours before cooking it, and while it tasted great one diner later
reported feeling ill. There is a belief that TVP does not have the
natural bacteriostatic substances that are found in real meat.
I don't know what really happened but have not repeated this experiment.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 20:13:11 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> I prefer the Mexican though. I
>> also prefer no preservatives, which will drive me to make my own.

> It's *very* easy to do, Jean - if you make "bulk" chorizo and don't go
> through the process of stuffing it into a case. Same with "Italian"
> sausage. Putting the seasonings into ground pork is easy. It's the
> stuffing and curing or smoking that takes more
> time/expertise/equipment than most people have.

Yup. I agree. It looks soooo easy. I just don't know what
formula to try first. Maybe I will try the already
almost-forgotten foodily.... But that will probably mainly have
recipes calling for it as an ingredient.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lucille" > wrote in message
> On Feb 18, 12:00 pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>>
>> -snip->8 ounces chorizo, cooked
>>
>> -snip-
>>
>> I'm curious what a recipe means when it says 'Chorizo'. I haven't
>> ever noticed it in our grocery stores- but when a Meat House opened up
>> nearby I was poking around and found some packaged sausages marked
>> 'chorizo'. 4-5 sausages to the pound, looked a lot like kielbasa.
>>
>> Then I found another one labeled chorizo. This one looked like a
>> pepperoni.
>>
>> Are either of these what merryb makes?
>>
>> What makes a 'chorizo'- a 'chorizo'? and which one is usually meant
>> in a recipe?
>>
>> [Both were good- but not worth the premium price to me. I must be too
>> used to italian style sausages.]
>>
>> Jim

> Where I came from, Fall River Massachusett, the same place where
> Emeral comes from.
> There's a few places that makes it. There it's pronouce "cher
> reece". It's a Porchugese(sp?) sausage.

Chaurice isn't the same as chorizo. They are both pork sausages. Chaurice
is french (or Cajun). But Mexican chorizo is usually sold in bulk and is
extremely greasy and extrudes fat. Spanish chorizo is in casings. The
links are like kielbasa, yes. The taste is not remotely similar.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 15:08:01 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 20:13:11 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
> >
> >> I prefer the Mexican though. I
> >> also prefer no preservatives, which will drive me to make my own.

> > It's *very* easy to do, Jean - if you make "bulk" chorizo and don't go
> > through the process of stuffing it into a case. Same with "Italian"
> > sausage. Putting the seasonings into ground pork is easy. It's the
> > stuffing and curing or smoking that takes more
> > time/expertise/equipment than most people have.
> >

> Yup. I agree. It looks soooo easy. I just don't know what
> formula to try first. Maybe I will try the already
> almost-forgotten foodily.... But that will probably mainly have
> recipes calling for it as an ingredient.

I took the lazy way out and bought some fresh chorizo at the farmer's
market today... and later got a fresh andouille from the butcher.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:10:49 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> Chaurice isn't the same as chorizo.

Where were you a couple of hours ago when I was groping for the word
Chaurice and couldn't come up with it? I knew it started with ch
and that's as far as I got. Oh, btw... since it looks like a French
word, is that ch pronounced sh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:10:49 -0500, "jmcquown" >

>> Chaurice isn't the same as chorizo.

>Where were you a couple of hours ago when I was groping for the word
>Chaurice and couldn't come up with it? I knew it started with ch
>and that's as far as I got.

Possibly because you were thinking of Chourico, a Portuguese sausage
more or less along the lines of a Spanish (not Mexican) Chorizo.
Very common in New England.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 23:49:17 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> "Chaurice (pronounced shore-EESE)

That's what I wanted to know, thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 15:08:01 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> It's *very* easy to do, Jean - if you make "bulk" chorizo and don't go
>>> through the process of stuffing it into a case. Same with "Italian"
>>> sausage. Putting the seasonings into ground pork is easy. It's the
>>> stuffing and curing or smoking that takes more
>>> time/expertise/equipment than most people have.
>>>

>> Yup. I agree. It looks soooo easy. I just don't know what
>> formula to try first. Maybe I will try the already
>> almost-forgotten foodily.... But that will probably mainly have
>> recipes calling for it as an ingredient.

> I took the lazy way out and bought some fresh chorizo at the farmer's
> market today... and later got a fresh andouille from the butcher.

Mexican chorizo? I can find Spanish, but not Mexican. I guess if
I want to go to Waltham, there is probably some there. Actually,
I may have sound some in Somerville but rejected it because I
didn't like the ingredients.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 21:11:23 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Mexican chorizo? I can find Spanish, but not Mexican. I guess if
> I want to go to Waltham, there is probably some there. Actually,
> I may have sound some in Somerville but rejected it because I
> didn't like the ingredients.

Yes, it's Mexican chorizo which is the common one around here. The
ingredients are pretty simple: pork, chili pepper, paprika, sea salt,
cumin, oregano, garlic and citric acid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 21:11:23 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Mexican chorizo? I can find Spanish, but not Mexican. I guess if
>> I want to go to Waltham, there is probably some there. Actually,
>> I may have sound some in Somerville but rejected it because I
>> didn't like the ingredients.

> Yes, it's Mexican chorizo which is the common one around here. The
> ingredients are pretty simple: pork, chili pepper, paprika, sea salt,
> cumin, oregano, garlic and citric acid.

Citric acid instead of vinegar? Interesting.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:50:49 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 21:11:23 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
> >
> >> Mexican chorizo? I can find Spanish, but not Mexican. I guess if
> >> I want to go to Waltham, there is probably some there. Actually,
> >> I may have sound some in Somerville but rejected it because I
> >> didn't like the ingredients.

> > Yes, it's Mexican chorizo which is the common one around here. The
> > ingredients are pretty simple: pork, chili pepper, paprika, sea salt,
> > cumin, oregano, garlic and citric acid.
> >

> Citric acid instead of vinegar? Interesting.

Yes. He uses recipes approved by the department of agriculture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I wrote variously:

> Rick Bayless's Chorizo
>
> 1 1/2 lb lean boneless pork shoulder cut into 1 inch pieces
> 8 oz pork fat
> 12 medium ancho chiles[1]
> 2 bay leaves
> 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
> 1/8 tsp cloves ground
> 1 tsp Mexican oregano
> 1 tsp each dry thyme and marjoram
> salt
> 1/4 cup cider vinegar
>
> Pulverize all the spices in a food processor (toasting the chiles first
> if using).
>
> Measure in the vinegar and a little water to make a paste. Sieve the
> mixture into a large bowl.
>
> Grind the meat and pork fat coarsely. Add the meat to the seasonings and
> mix well. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.

The first use I had for the chorizo was to cook it with scrambled eggs.
That's when it became evident that the chorizo doesn't have any onions or
garlic, and it really could use them. So the recipe isn't bad, it's just
that you have to add onions and/or garlic to whatever you're making with the
chorizo. I also added cilantro.

> http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=172
>
> Queso Fundido Burger
> Serves 4
>
> Ingredients
> 2 fresh medium poblano chiles
> 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 2 teaspoons oil
> 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
> 8 ounces chorizo, cooked
> 1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, finely minced, seeded if you wish
> 8 thick slices Monterey Jack cheese
> 4 hamburger buns, lightly toasted
>
> The recipe has you do what you might expect, but out of concern over
> violating copyright laws I'm not going to post it here. The general
> description follows:
>
> Roast the chiles until blackened; remove the skin. Cut open and remove the
> stems and seeds; cut into strips. Cook onions briefly; add chiles and
> garlic and cook until the garlic has softened.
>
> Make patties with the obvious ingredients. Grill patties one one side.
> Turn patties over, top with cheese, then the veggies, then more cheese,
> cover the grill, and cook until done. Place on buns and eat.

These were pretty well-flavored, but dry. (I expected that, since the
sirloin we ground had nearly all the fat trimmed off.) I put cilantro on top
of my burger and had it with mango/lime salsa and sliced avocado, which
helped with the dryness. We had store-bought taquitos as an appetizer.

Bob

Chorizo! Jeßus[_14_] General Cooking 95 30-06-2010 05:47 AM
Chorizo? Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 35 11-05-2009 07:53 PM
Chorizo Casserole Dip Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 14-04-2006 03:43 AM
Chorizo rrb_091903 General Cooking 15 17-10-2003 06:52 AM