Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default No Subject

From: "sf"
cshenk" wrote:

>> Many of us today have a sort of difference from those days. In my case,
>> have an excellent husband that I am delighted with and who's stayed home
>> raise one of the most sane kids you can find today. He 'retired' from
>> the
>> Navy with 21 years and we decided together to let his job skills lapse
>> while
>> I'd work and he'd do the house and kid part.

> My husband is having a hard time with my DD working and her husband
> staying home to be Mr. Mom too. Times have changed and it's nice that
> they can afford (or are willing to give up some things) to let one of
> them stay home and raise the kids.

We still have a general 'expectation' in our culture that the man will be
the breadwinner, the wife adds 'side money' or if he's a really good
breadwinner, she can do charity work.

You *do* give up a few things if you shift to just one income (and arent the
spouse of Bill Gates or something) but if the choices you make are in
tandem, it works.

It really makes no difference which stays home. In our case, I have the
skills that lead to high earnings while Don's although not insignificant
when current in 1992, were less. Now he's slipped where those skills mean
little 18 years later and we *knew that* so there is no blame. His max if
still current would be just 50K a year and start wages tend to 36K.

We both agree the lack of that extra was well paid back by a sane kid who
always knew no matter where I was (sea duty, sinagore, red sea, Korea, UAE,
Bahrain, whatever of the week) she had a real live parent at home for her.
Stomach flu? Daddy is there to pick her up no matter the time. Daddy is
there to walk you to school, or meet you at the bus.

It's a good thing it have one parent at home *if* you can manage it. It
doesnt matter which sex the parent is. If a family can't manage one at home,
I think it;s good if the can manage one to be at home at least part time.

No Subject No Name General Cooking 0 06-12-2009 10:44 PM
(no subject) Old Harley Rider General Cooking 0 13-11-2009 07:48 PM
(no subject) Cuthbert Thistlethwaite General Cooking 10 09-09-2008 01:22 AM
No Subject General Cooking 0 29-01-2006 01:00 AM
(no subject) Margaret Suran General Cooking 10 18-11-2003 06:54 AM