Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Using a Induction hot plate as a slow cooker

I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 1:27*pm, horusprim > wrote:
> I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
> B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
>
> I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
> makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
> cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
> plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

Why not just get a West Bend oblong slow cooker?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 16, 1:27*pm, horusprim > wrote:
> I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
> B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
>
> I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
> makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
> cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
> plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

You probably could, but your electric bill would suffer. You need to
check on the difference between using a crockpot and an induction
cooker. Big difference in electric usage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:27:10 -0800 (PST), horusprim
> wrote:

>I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
>(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
>B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
>
>I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
>makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
>cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
>plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

I do this all the time, for chili and other items, with the very same
Burton hob and either a 7-qt. Le Creuset or a 6-qt. Calphalon
non-stick pot. Works fine.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 16, 1:27*pm, horusprim > wrote:
> I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
> B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
>
> I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
> makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
> cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
> plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

I checked and you can get one of these fancy schmancy programable
cookers for way less than the indudction top and it will cost you way
less to use.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach...sr=1-1-catcorr

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:37:53 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>You probably could, but your electric bill would suffer. You need to
>check on the difference between using a crockpot and an induction
>cooker. Big difference in electric usage.

Yes -- in favor of the induction hob. Induction is extremely
efficient. Much more so than an antique heating element and a ceramic
vessel.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:46:44 -0800 (PST) in rec.food.cooking,
ImStillMags > wrote,
>On Feb 16, 1:27*pm, horusprim > wrote:
>> I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
>> (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
>> B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
>>
>> I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
>> makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
>> cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
>> plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

>I checked and you can get one of these fancy schmancy programable
>cookers for way less than the indudction top

But the induction hob will do a lot more; it's 1800 Watts! I want
one, and I already have the slow cooker. Nobody is buying it *just*
for that!

> and it will cost you way less to use.

How did you check that part?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:10:53 -0800, David Harmon >
wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:46:44 -0800 (PST) in rec.food.cooking,
>ImStillMags > wrote,
>>On Feb 16, 1:27*pm, horusprim > wrote:
>>> I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
>>> (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
>>> B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
>>>
>>> I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
>>> makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
>>> cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
>>> plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

>>I checked and you can get one of these fancy schmancy programable
>>cookers for way less than the indudction top

>But the induction hob will do a lot more; it's 1800 Watts! I want
>one, and I already have the slow cooker. Nobody is buying it *just*
>for that!
>
>> and it will cost you way less to use.

>How did you check that part?

Physics class?<g> Once you have them both [because you *will* own
them both] you can prove the theory with one of these;
P3 Kill-a-watt meter.

It's a handy $20 gadget to have around anyway.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 5:42*pm, wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:27:10 -0800 (PST), horusprim
>
> > wrote:
> >I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> >(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
> >B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

> >I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
> >makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
> >cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
> >plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

> I do this all the time, for chili and other items, with the very same
> Burton hob and either a 7-qt. Le Creuset or a 6-qt. Calphalon
> non-stick pot. Works fine.
>
> -- Larry

Thanks for your review.

Can you comment on the temperature settings? Can you set it to cook at
a specific temperature; like a regular, electric hot plate?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 4:27:10 PM UTC-5, horusprim wrote:
> I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
> B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
>
> I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
> makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
> cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
> plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

Do you know that you can actually buy a NUWAVE Pressure Cooker that works on an Induction hot plate? The Pressure Cooker does slow cooking, faster.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 8:24:55 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 4:27:10 PM UTC-5, horusprim wrote:
> > I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> > (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
> > B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
> >
> > I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
> > makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
> > cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
> > plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

> Do you know that you can actually buy a NUWAVE Pressure Cooker that works on an Induction hot plate? The Pressure Cooker does slow cooking, faster.

This one is aluminum, so it wouldn't work on induction, but it's little
and kinda cute.

http://www.target.com/p/imusa-alumin...l/-/A-10827938

https://www.facebook.com/PetrieMuseu...53715638470406

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> The Pressure Cooker does slow cooking, faster.

LOL There's our oxymoron for the week. ;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/5/2015 9:24 AM, wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 4:27:10 PM UTC-5, horusprim wrote:
>> I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
>> (
http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
>> B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
>>
>> I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
>> makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
>> cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
>> plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

> Do you know that you can actually buy a NUWAVE Pressure Cooker that works on an Induction hot plate? The Pressure Cooker does slow cooking, faster.

My Fagor pressure cooker works on my induction hob.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 4:27:10 PM UTC-5, horusprim wrote:
> I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...dp/B000MVN1M6/

That one is awfully expensive! This one for much less has higher ratings:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045QEPYM

I have this one. It is wonderful. I have a slow cooker, so I have not tried
using it as one. The bottom temperature is 140F. What is a slow cooker?

Don. http://paleofood.com/ (e-mail at page bottom).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 11:44:36 -0500, Don Wiss wrote:

>That one is awfully expensive! This one for much less has higher ratings:
>http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045QEPYM

I find there is a newer model of the one I bought a year and a half ago.
The visible difference is the front panel is sloped. The problem with the
none sloped panel is very wide pans will extend over the panel and the heat
of the pan can melt the panel some. This doesn't reduce functionality, but
cosmetically looks bad. So this is the one you now want:

http://www.amazon.com//dp/B00GMCAM2G

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/12/2015 7:24 AM, wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 4:27:10 PM UTC-5, horusprim wrote:
>> I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
>> (
http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
>> B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
>>
>> I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
>> makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
>> cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
>> plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

> Do you know that you can actually buy a NUWAVE Pressure Cooker that works on an Induction hot plate? The Pressure Cooker does slow cooking, faster.

Replying to a 4.5yr old post.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 11:27:10 AM UTC-10, horusprim wrote:
> I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
> B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
>
> I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
> makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
> cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
> plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

I use my induction range for slow cooking with no problem. I'll leave stuff on, go to work, and come back 10 hrs later. I'll also use the oven as a slow cooker - put a pork butt in and go to bed or go to work. I'll also use my rice cooker on the warm setting as a slow cooker and have left beef shortribs in there for days. These techniques work like a Maverick missile i.e., fire and forget.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 2:27:10 PM UTC-7, horusprim wrote:
> I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
> B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
>
> I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
> makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
> cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
> plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

I live in a cold climate, so I like to use the oven set on low and my stock pot or dutch oven as a slow cooker. The oven on low puts a low steady heat into the house and gives a slow controlled heat for cooking. Great to come home to on a cold evening!! Yes, I have a big crock pot that I hate. I do use it in the summer when I do not want the oven on. I guess I do not see the difference between an induction single burner and using a stove burner on the lowest setting.

DaleP
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 2:27:10 PM UTC-7, horusprim wrote:
> I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
> B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
>
> I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
> makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
> cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
> plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

We use our induction top stove to do slow cooking and it is so much more precise and energy efficient than any other method that it is a no brainer for us. It's by far the best way to go for slow cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 1:03:10 PM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 11:27:10 AM UTC-10, horusprim wrote:
> > I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> > (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
> > B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
> >
> > I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
> > makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
> > cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
> > plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

> I use my induction range for slow cooking with no problem. I'll leave stuff on, go to work, and come back 10 hrs later. I'll also use the oven as a slow cooker - put a pork butt in and go to bed or go to work. I'll also use my rice cooker on the warm setting as a slow cooker and have left beef shortribs in there for days. These techniques work like a Maverick missile i.e.., fire and forget.

What temps do you set your induction cooktop to slow cook? What temp should I use when the recipe says to slow cook on High? or Low? Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The big question for me would be the size of,the warming plate. If I leave the
house empty for a day, with a crockpot turned on, I put it in the dry kitchen sink,
just in case it goes crazy and sets itself on fire. Will a warming tray or
Induction device fit in the sink?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 12:31:49 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 1:03:10 PM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 11:27:10 AM UTC-10, horusprim wrote:
> > > I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> > > (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
> > > B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
> > >
> > > I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
> > > makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
> > > cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
> > > plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

> > I use my induction range for slow cooking with no problem. I'll leave stuff on, go to work, and come back 10 hrs later. I'll also use the oven as a slow cooker - put a pork butt in and go to bed or go to work. I'll also use my rice cooker on the warm setting as a slow cooker and have left beef shortribs in there for days. These techniques work like a Maverick missile i..e., fire and forget.

> What temps do you set your induction cooktop to slow cook? What temp should I use when the recipe says to slow cook on High? or Low? Thanks

That depends on the wattage of the unit and the control settings. My Samsung range will do a nice boil on a pot of stew at 5 on the big element. I like to do most of my frying between 7 and 10. I can do a very slow simmer at about 3. You could probably keep something warm on 2. I don't go much lower than that. The lowest setting would be .5 but I've never had occasion to use it. Oddly enough, the range calls that "simmer."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 4:31:49 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> What temps do you set your induction cooktop to slow cook? What temp should I use when the recipe says to slow cook on High? or Low? Thanks

Watch the national news for a burned down dorm due to
an unattended induction cooktop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 3:12:36 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 4:31:49 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> >
> > What temps do you set your induction cooktop to slow cook? What temp should I use when the recipe says to slow cook on High? or Low? Thanks
> >

> Watch the national news for a burned down dorm due to
> an unattended induction cooktop.

Induction cooktops are pretty darn safe. I don't believe that I could come up with a way to cause a fire with one of those. That would be an interesting challenge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 7:21:53 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 3:12:36 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>
> > Watch the national news for a burned down dorm due to
> > an unattended induction cooktop.

> Induction cooktops are pretty darn safe. I don't believe that I could come up with a way to cause a fire with one of those. That would be an interesting challenge.

;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:27:10 -0800 (PST), horusprim
> wrote:

> I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
> B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
>
> I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
> makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
> cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
> plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

That is a good time to break out a decent thermometer and check to see
what temperature it is, then you can calibrate the setting to what the
low setting on a slow cooker should read. I tried using my rice
cooker as a slow cooker and it worked for me. My experiment was
tomatoes (no meat), so I knew I wouldn't make myself sick if it was
too far off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-06 7:21 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 12:31:49 PM UTC-10,
> wrote:
>> On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 1:03:10 PM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:

>> What temps do you set your induction cooktop to slow cook? What
>> temp should I use when the recipe says to slow cook on High? or
>> Low? Thanks

> That depends on the wattage of the unit and the control settings. My
> Samsung range will do a nice boil on a pot of stew at 5 on the big
> element.

You boil stews? That makes the meat tough.

I like to do most of my frying between 7 and 10. I can do a
> very slow simmer at about 3. You could probably keep something warm
> on 2. I don't go much lower than that. The lowest setting would be .5
> but I've never had occasion to use it. Oddly enough, the range calls
> that "simmer."

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 5:06:44 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-01-06 7:21 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 12:31:49 PM UTC-10,
> > wrote:
> >> On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 1:03:10 PM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:

> >> What temps do you set your induction cooktop to slow cook? What
> >> temp should I use when the recipe says to slow cook on High? or
> >> Low? Thanks

> > That depends on the wattage of the unit and the control settings. My
> > Samsung range will do a nice boil on a pot of stew at 5 on the big
> > element.

> You boil stews? That makes the meat tough.
>

> I like to do most of my frying between 7 and 10. I can do a
> > very slow simmer at about 3. You could probably keep something warm
> > on 2. I don't go much lower than that. The lowest setting would be .5
> > but I've never had occasion to use it. Oddly enough, the range calls
> > that "simmer."
> >

> ---

I made a pretty good stew a couple of days ago. The large chunks of chuck was fried in oil and braised. I set the range to 3 and took a nap for around 3 hours. I had the stew with some stinky pickled radish. I ate the cold radish first. It was good eats alright.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...2hfbYdWj9gmlOI

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 1:03:10 PM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 11:27:10 AM UTC-10, horusprim wrote:
> > I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> > (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
> > B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
> >
> > I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
> > makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
> > cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
> > plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

> I use my induction range for slow cooking with no problem. I'll leave
> stuff on, go to work, and come back 10 hrs later. I'll also use the oven
> as a slow cooker - put a pork butt in and go to bed or go to work. I'll
> also use my rice cooker on the warm setting as a slow cooker and have left
> beef shortribs in there for days. These techniques work like a Maverick
> missile i.e., fire and forget.

What temps do you set your induction cooktop to slow cook? What temp should
I use when the recipe says to slow cook on High? or Low? Thanks
====

I can't help with the induction hot plate but I wonder if this might help.
My sous vide machine doubles as as slow cooker and I have to enter the temps
(unlike a slow cooker that give low, med. high.

low 82c
Medium 93c
HIgh 100c

I hope that might help

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 5:06:44 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-01-06 7:21 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 12:31:49 PM UTC-10,
> > wrote:
> >> On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 1:03:10 PM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:

> >> What temps do you set your induction cooktop to slow cook? What
> >> temp should I use when the recipe says to slow cook on High? or
> >> Low? Thanks

> > That depends on the wattage of the unit and the control settings. My
> > Samsung range will do a nice boil on a pot of stew at 5 on the big
> > element.

> You boil stews? That makes the meat tough.
>

> I like to do most of my frying between 7 and 10. I can do a
> > very slow simmer at about 3. You could probably keep something warm
> > on 2. I don't go much lower than that. The lowest setting would be .5
> > but I've never had occasion to use it. Oddly enough, the range calls
> > that "simmer."
> >

> ---

I made a pretty good stew a couple of days ago. The large chunks of chuck
was fried in oil and braised. I set the range to 3 and took a nap for around
3 hours. I had the stew with some stinky pickled radish. I ate the cold
radish first. It was good eats alright.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...2hfbYdWj9gmlOI

=============

Looks good) I made a beef stew in my 'slow cooker' last week and I put it
on 93c (medium) 4-6 hours.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ds, appliances can set themselves on fire....it can be caused by a faulty electrical
connection where the plug attaches to the appliance. It doesn't have to be a high temp...
my mom had an iron that shorted itself out,burned the ironing board cover, and melted
its own bottom plate. It was just plugged in like usual. So, you never know.....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 1:50:16 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 5:06:44 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2017-01-06 7:21 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> > > That depends on the wattage of the unit and the control settings. My
> > > Samsung range will do a nice boil on a pot of stew at 5 on the big
> > > element.

> > You boil stews? That makes the meat tough.
> >

> > I like to do most of my frying between 7 and 10. I can do a
> > > very slow simmer at about 3. You could probably keep something warm
> > > on 2. I don't go much lower than that. The lowest setting would be .5
> > > but I've never had occasion to use it. Oddly enough, the range calls
> > > that "simmer."
> > >

> > ---

> I made a pretty good stew a couple of days ago. The large chunks of chuck
> was fried in oil and braised. I set the range to 3 and took a nap for around
> 3 hours. I had the stew with some stinky pickled radish. I ate the cold
> radish first. It was good eats alright.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...2hfbYdWj9gmlOI
>
> =============
>
> Looks good) I made a beef stew in my 'slow cooker' last week and I put it
> on 93c (medium) 4-6 hours.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Slow cooking is just wonderful. It's more efficient, easier, and tastier. I got the urge to cook up some pork belly. Hoo boy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 3:31:52 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> ds, appliances can set themselves on fire....it can be caused by a faulty electrical
> connection where the plug attaches to the appliance. It doesn't have to be a high temp...
> my mom had an iron that shorted itself out,burned the ironing board cover, and melted
> its own bottom plate. It was just plugged in like usual. So, you never know.....
>
> N.

I know what you're saying. My friend's range element shorted out and created a ball of plasma that melted a hole the size of a quarter through a steel pan. I didn't believe it possible until I saw the hole.

OTOH, I'll bet that the majority of fires are not caused by a failure of the electrical parts. Mostly they're caused by operator error. Induction ranges pretty much removes that possibility.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 1:50:16 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 5:06:44 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2017-01-06 7:21 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> > > That depends on the wattage of the unit and the control settings. My
> > > Samsung range will do a nice boil on a pot of stew at 5 on the big
> > > element.

> > You boil stews? That makes the meat tough.
> >

> > I like to do most of my frying between 7 and 10. I can do a
> > > very slow simmer at about 3. You could probably keep something warm
> > > on 2. I don't go much lower than that. The lowest setting would be .5
> > > but I've never had occasion to use it. Oddly enough, the range calls
> > > that "simmer."
> > >

> > ---

> I made a pretty good stew a couple of days ago. The large chunks of chuck
> was fried in oil and braised. I set the range to 3 and took a nap for
> around
> 3 hours. I had the stew with some stinky pickled radish. I ate the cold
> radish first. It was good eats alright.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...2hfbYdWj9gmlOI
>
> =============
>
> Looks good) I made a beef stew in my 'slow cooker' last week and I put
> it
> on 93c (medium) 4-6 hours.

Slow cooking is just wonderful. It's more efficient, easier, and tastier. I
got the urge to cook up some pork belly. Hoo boy!

==================

You will love it) I do

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 11:45:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 1:50:16 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > You boil stews? That makes the meat tough.
> > >

> > > I like to do most of my frying between 7 and 10. I can do a
> > > >

> > > ---

> > I made a pretty good stew a couple of days ago. The large chunks of chuck
> > was fried in oil and braised. I set the range to 3 and took a nap for
> > around
> > 3 hours. I had the stew with some stinky pickled radish. I ate the cold
> > radish first. It was good eats alright.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...2hfbYdWj9gmlOI
> >
> > =============
> >
> > Looks good) I made a beef stew in my 'slow cooker' last week and I put
> > it
> > on 93c (medium) 4-6 hours.
> >

> Slow cooking is just wonderful. It's more efficient, easier, and tastier. I
> got the urge to cook up some pork belly. Hoo boy!
>
> ==================
>
> You will love it) I do
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

It's an underappreciated hunk of meat by most Westerners. One of my favorite way to prepare it is rafute.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tag...e/interesting/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 11:45:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 1:50:16 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > You boil stews? That makes the meat tough.
> > >

> > > I like to do most of my frying between 7 and 10. I can do a
> > > >

> > > ---

> > I made a pretty good stew a couple of days ago. The large chunks of
> > chuck
> > was fried in oil and braised. I set the range to 3 and took a nap for
> > around
> > 3 hours. I had the stew with some stinky pickled radish. I ate the cold
> > radish first. It was good eats alright.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...2hfbYdWj9gmlOI
> >
> > =============
> >
> > Looks good) I made a beef stew in my 'slow cooker' last week and I put
> > it
> > on 93c (medium) 4-6 hours.
> >

> Slow cooking is just wonderful. It's more efficient, easier, and tastier.
> got the urge to cook up some pork belly. Hoo boy!
>
> ==================
>
> You will love it) I do
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

It's an underappreciated hunk of meat by most Westerners. One of my favorite
way to prepare it is rafute.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tag...e/interesting/

===================

That is new to me. I usually like to roast belly pork with the skin on and
it is lovely and crispy.

I hadn't actually heard of it and had to search

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Isn't pork belly just a huge chunk of uncut bacon? What is there to eat? Small
strips of meat among all that gelatinous fat? There is a pic when I Googled it,
compliments of Gordon Ramsey, and that is what it looks like.

I can't imagine eating bacon fat like that....my bacon has to be fried crispy,
brown and thin-cut. If someone put a piece of pork belly in front of me, I
would probably gag before taking a bite. Am I wrong about it?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Isn't pork belly just a huge chunk of uncut bacon? What is there to eat? Small
> strips of meat among all that gelatinous fat? There is a pic when I Googled it,
> compliments of Gordon Ramsey, and that is what it looks like.
>
> I can't imagine eating bacon fat like that....my bacon has to be fried crispy,
> brown and thin-cut. If someone put a piece of pork belly in front of me, I
> would probably gag before taking a bite. Am I wrong about it?

Hopefully, I will be sitting next to you and I'll gladly take your
portion.