Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'm jonesing for something chocolate

And the latest in GS cookie sales in my neck of the woods is that the
cute little girls are carrying the cookies with them and fulfill the
order on the spot. I asked how it was working out and she said "You get
more orders this way." Cool.

Excuse me while I stuff my maw with some thin mints. Coffee or not?
Milk or not? Coffee's in the lead.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> And the latest in GS cookie sales in my neck of the woods is that the
> cute little girls are carrying the cookies with them and fulfill the
> order on the spot. I asked how it was working out and she said "You get
> more orders this way." Cool.
>
> Excuse me while I stuff my maw with some thin mints. Coffee or not?
> Milk or not? Coffee's in the lead.

Coffee won and the cookies are icky. Little Brownie Bakers out of
Louisville, KY. Mint-flavored chocolate on top of cardboard. Fail!

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 19:52:31 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > And the latest in GS cookie sales in my neck of the woods is that the
> > cute little girls are carrying the cookies with them and fulfill the
> > order on the spot. I asked how it was working out and she said "You get
> > more orders this way." Cool.

> Around here their mom's set up card-table camps right outside the
> movie rental and grocery stores while the kids play in the parking
> lots. Orders are also filled on the spot (if they have them).
>
> (How to the moms decide who gets which Blockbuster or grocery store?
> Or do they just duke it out when they see each other on their turf?)

Some duking it out, some negotiations.

> Last GS cookie I had was in 1998. I'll buy some Tagalongs this week
> if they have them. How much are they so I don't have to ask and they
> wonder what planet I'm from?
>
> 2011 varieties:
>
> http://baking.about.com/od/familybak...utcookie_2.htm
>
> I hope they're still on sale.
>
> -sw

Price and name of variety varies with the locale. Two different
councils here (metro) and there have been 2 different prices and cookie
varieties some years.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/13/2011 7:31 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> Excuse me while I stuff my maw with some thin mints. Coffee or not?
>> Milk or not? Coffee's in the lead.

> Coffee won and the cookies are icky. Little Brownie Bakers out of
> Louisville, KY. Mint-flavored chocolate on top of cardboard. Fail!

Thanks for the warning. Thin mints were my favorite. :-(

We evidently have no Girl Scouts in our neighborhood this year, but
they'll be out in droves on card tables at the supermarkets any day now.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> On 2/13/2011 7:31 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

> >> Excuse me while I stuff my maw with some thin mints. Coffee or not?
> >> Milk or not? Coffee's in the lead.

> > Coffee won and the cookies are icky. Little Brownie Bakers out of
> > Louisville, KY. Mint-flavored chocolate on top of cardboard. Fail!

> Thanks for the warning. Thin mints were my favorite. :-(
>
> We evidently have no Girl Scouts in our neighborhood this year, but
> they'll be out in droves on card tables at the supermarkets any day now.
>
> gloria p

There are different bakeries around the country, I believe, Gloria. You
might have better luck than I had. Dang cookie just tasted blech!
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> And the latest in GS cookie sales in my neck of the woods is that the
> cute little girls are carrying the cookies with them and fulfill the
> order on the spot. I asked how it was working out and she said "You get
> more orders this way." Cool.

Makes sense to me. As I remember, they took orders, and then when they
put them in, the leaders ordered a whole bunch extra, both to take care
of people who wanted more, and also to sell from card tables at the
shopping center.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 21:41:30 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,

>> > Coffee won and the cookies are icky. Little Brownie Bakers out of
>> > Louisville, KY. Mint-flavored chocolate on top of cardboard. Fail!

>> Thanks for the warning. Thin mints were my favorite. :-(
>>
>> We evidently have no Girl Scouts in our neighborhood this year, but
>> they'll be out in droves on card tables at the supermarkets any day now.
>>
>> gloria p

>There are different bakeries around the country, I believe, Gloria. You
>might have better luck than I had. Dang cookie just tasted blech!

Thins Mints are gone the way of the Hostess cupcake. Both still exist
for purchase, but the products are so changed from what they were
originally, that it just isn't worth it.

Thin Mints were a cookie that I always found very hard to resist. Once
a sleeve was opened, each cookie screamed "Eat me, please," until I
happily obliged. There is a box of them on the counter right now. I
had one cookie about a week ago. I have not been tempted to return to
them. Sad, sad, sad.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: I'm jonesing for something chocolate

Most Dangerous Chocolate Cake Recipe in the World

5-MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

1 Coffee Mug
4 tablespoons flour (that's plain flour, not self-rising)
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
some nuts (optional)
Small splash of vanilla

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix
thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes on high. The cake
will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed.
Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT! (This can serve 2 if you want to share!)

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?

Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any
time of the day or night!

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
we are.

We are Queenslanders.

We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 06:13:30 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

> Why do they always have to ruin a good thing? If it ain't broke, don't
> fix it!

I think it was a matter of profit. Wasn't it a topic of conversation
a few years ago in here about how they weren't using butter anymore?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 15:33:35 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 06:13:30 -0600, Omelet >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Why do they always have to ruin a good thing? If it ain't broke, don't
> > > fix it!

> > I think it was a matter of profit. Wasn't it a topic of conversation
> > a few years ago in here about how they weren't using butter anymore?

> But if their cookies start tasting like crap, people are not going to
> buy them anymore. Where is the profit in that?

It's been that way for quite a while. You tell me if they're not
making a profit.

Jonesing for tomatoes! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 15 29-03-2013 08:50 PM
Jonesing for sushi KLC Lewis Sushi 0 07-07-2009 10:25 PM
Jonesing for a new dish [email protected] Barbecue 2 19-05-2007 04:03 AM
Dark Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream Featuring King's Cupboard Dark Chocolate Chunk Hot Chocolate Cocoa Connoisseur ... Chocolate 0 19-10-2006 05:16 PM
jonesing for this book.... -L. General Cooking 5 15-06-2006 11:30 PM