Member

Thumbs up How to Cook With Butter and Butter Varieties

Butter is one of the oldest dairy products in the world. Since at least 2,000 B.C., traditional cultures have cooked with butter and butter varieties. Today, butter is making its way back onto our modern tables as we realize its health benefits.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to Cook With Butter and Why It Will Kill You

Water Removal wrote:

> Butter is one of the oldest dairy products in the world. Since at least
> 2,000 B.C., traditional cultures have cooked with butter and butter
> varieties. Today, butter is making its way back onto our modern tables
> as we realize its health benefits.

Only as compared to traditional margarine. There
are new margarines that purport to be much better
than butter because of the elimination of trans fats
that the old margarines had. By using polyunsaturated
vegetable oils, they are much less health-damaging
than butter.

There are no health benefits to eating butter as
compared to not eating butter. People eat butter
for the same reason people drink alcohol or use
cocaine: it feels good.

If I want to feel good, I'll feel a lot better
eating the bacon that has the same amount of
saturated fat as a pat of butter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Only as compared to traditional margarine. There
> are new margarines that purport to be much better
> than butter because of the elimination of trans fats
> that the old margarines had. By using polyunsaturated
> vegetable oils, they are much less health-damaging
> than butter.
>
> There are no health benefits to eating butter as
> compared to not eating butter. People eat butter
> for the same reason people drink alcohol or use
> cocaine: it feels good.
>
> If I want to feel good, I'll feel a lot better
> eating the bacon that has the same amount of
> saturated fat as a pat of butter.

Lard has considerably less saturated fat than butter fat, actually:

http://www.nutristrategy.com/fatsoils.htm

and butter has some transfat in it naturally, whereas pork doesn't.

But I like my butter.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to Cook With Butter and Butter Varieties

On 13/02/2011 11:52 AM, Water Removal wrote:
> Butter is one of the oldest dairy products in the world. Since at least
> 2,000 B.C., traditional cultures have cooked with butter and butter
> varieties. Today, butter is making its way back onto our modern tables
> as we realize its health benefits.

We do? I have been told not to eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 13, 5:07*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> [...]

> mg
> 0%
> Folate
> 6.8
> mcg
> 2%
> Food Folate
> 6.8
> mcg
>
> Folic Acid
> 0.0
> mcg
>
> Dietary Folate Equivalents
> 6.8
> mcg
>
> Vitamin B12
> 0.4
> mcg
> 6%
> Pantothenic Acid
> 0.2
> mg
> 2%
> Choline
> 42.7
> mg
>
> Betaine
> 0.7
> mg
>
> Minerals
> Amounts Per Selected Serving
> %DV
> Calcium
> 54.5
> mg
> 5%
> Iron
> 0.0
> mg
> 0%
> Magnesium
> 4.5
> mg
> 1%
> Phosphorus
> 54.5
> mg
> 5%
> Potassium
> 54.5
> mg
> 2%
> Sodium
> 1307
> mg
> 54%
> Zinc
> 0.2
> mg
> 1%
> Copper
> 0.0
> mg
> 0%
> Manganese
> 0.0
> mg
> 0%
> Selenium
> 2.3
> mcg
> 3%
> Fluoride
> 6.4
> mcg
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."

Butter from grass feed cows is much healthier too.

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 13/02/2011 11:52 AM, Water Removal wrote:
> > Butter is one of the oldest dairy products in the world. Since at least
> > 2,000 B.C., traditional cultures have cooked with butter and butter
> > varieties. Today, butter is making its way back onto our modern tables
> > as we realize its health benefits.
> >

> We do? I have been told not to eat it.

That'll teach you to listen to somebody named "Water Removal".

:-)

Some day I'm just going to killfile all of FoodBanter. I never
killfiled the September newbies, AOL, Webtv or GG. I've sworn I won't
killfile FoodBanter, but it's just getting too much.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> If I want to feel good, I'll feel a lot better
> eating the bacon that has the same amount of
> saturated fat as a pat of butter.

You could feel really, REALLY good if you had bacon with a side order
of buttered toast. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
>> If I want to feel good, I'll feel a lot better
>> eating the bacon that has the same amount of
>> saturated fat as a pat of butter.

> You could feel really, REALLY good if you had bacon with a side
> order
> of buttered toast. ;-)
>
> N.

And polish it off with a couple of eggs - all that good cholesterol.

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora View Post
Nancy2 wrote:
If I want to feel good, I'll feel a lot better
eating the bacon that has the same amount of
saturated fat as a pat of butter.

You could feel really, REALLY good if you had bacon with a side
order
of buttered toast. ;-)

N.

And polish it off with a couple of eggs - all that good cholesterol.
I think butter and bacon are both beneficial to bulk of my blessed brethren.

If you're paranoid about butter, just clarify it in water and skim the clarified butter off. Gi doesn't have the added junk of unclarified butter and is oh so great to cook with.

I eat bacon (and bacon fat) and butter religiously and my overall cholesterol number is 114. These new margerines are nothing special. Don't buy the advertising, eat good food. Amish by me seel this butter in a wax paper roll. It does taste a bit more rich and creamy that any store bought I've had.

I just wish it was easier to find real lard. This white grabage has no flavor. Give me some color and the little bits in there, any day.