Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Make bread this Sunday!

Watching the dough rise is much more exciting than watching football!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> Watching the dough rise is much more exciting than watching football!

Making a lot of dough betting on football is much more exciting. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> Watching the dough rise is much more exciting than watching football!

To me, watching anything other than football would be more exciting than
watching football. Heh! But I do like watching dough rise. What kind of
bread are you making?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "graham" > wrote in message
>> Watching the dough rise is much more exciting than watching football!

> To me, watching anything other than football would be more exciting than
> watching football. Heh! But I do like watching dough rise. What kind of
> bread are you making?

Pain au levain, i.e., the French style sourdough that has a more subtle
taste than San Francisco SD. I use a relatively firm starter that
apparently has a different balance of yeast versus bacteria than the sloppy
starter used in SF SD.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 07:26:53 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

> I use a relatively firm starter that
>apparently has a different balance of yeast versus bacteria than the sloppy
>starter used in SF SD.
>Graham

I change the consistency of my starters all the time. Am I really
changing those critter ratios so rapidly? I am guessing not. My
starters remain stable, even with all my variations.

Regardless of the consistency I have kept my starter, when I put it
into a preferment, and regardless of the hydration of the preferment,
I get a delightfully loose and juicy mess to plop into the DLX.

In fact my latest bowl of goo began life Thursday when I removed a
initially firmer starter from the fridge, refreshed it to a firm dough
twice, then mixed up a preferment that was a sticky ball yesterday
morning. The kitchen has been quite cold...high 50sF in the nights, so
I did not make the dough last night, but will do so in a bit..

The starters themselves eventually made it back to the fridge in a
higher hydration state after the refreshments this time. One is thick
batter. The hydration may stay that way a few weeks, then I'll switch
over to firm starters for awhile...I am fickle, but have noticed no
flavor or rising differences other than the usual with these 3
starters.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 07:26:53 -0700, "graham" > wrote:
>
>> I use a relatively firm starter that
>> apparently has a different balance of yeast versus bacteria than the sloppy
>> starter used in SF SD.
>> Graham
>>

> I change the consistency of my starters all the time. Am I really
> changing those critter ratios so rapidly? I am guessing not. My
> starters remain stable, even with all my variations.
>
> Regardless of the consistency I have kept my starter, when I put it
> into a preferment, and regardless of the hydration of the preferment,
> I get a delightfully loose and juicy mess to plop into the DLX.
>
> In fact my latest bowl of goo began life Thursday when I removed a
> initially firmer starter from the fridge, refreshed it to a firm dough
> twice, then mixed up a preferment that was a sticky ball yesterday
> morning. The kitchen has been quite cold...high 50sF in the nights, so
> I did not make the dough last night, but will do so in a bit..
>
> The starters themselves eventually made it back to the fridge in a
> higher hydration state after the refreshments this time. One is thick
> batter. The hydration may stay that way a few weeks, then I'll switch
> over to firm starters for awhile...I am fickle, but have noticed no
> flavor or rising differences other than the usual with these 3
> starters.
>
> Boron

For me it is too cold to make the starters and I do want to pay a higher
propane bill. I keep my home at 68F daytime and 58 nighttime, so I just use
the bread machine for my bread doughs during the winter. Summer time is the
time for me to make the sourdough breads.

Winter with its low indoor humidity is the time for confectionaries for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 5, 8:19*am, Nad R > wrote:
> Boron Elgar > wrote:
> > On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 07:26:53 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

> >> *I use a relatively firm starter that
> >> apparently has a different balance of yeast versus bacteria than the sloppy
> >> starter used in SF SD.
> >> Graham

> > I change the consistency of my starters all the time. Am I really
> > changing those critter ratios so rapidly? *I am guessing not. My
> > starters remain stable, even with all my variations.

> > Regardless of the consistency I have kept my starter, when I put it
> > into a preferment, and regardless of the hydration of the preferment,
> > I get a delightfully loose and juicy mess to plop into the DLX.

> > In fact my latest bowl of goo began life Thursday when I removed a
> > initially firmer starter from the fridge, refreshed it to a firm dough
> > twice, then mixed up a preferment that was a sticky ball yesterday
> > morning. The kitchen has been quite cold...high 50sF in the nights, so
> > I did not make the dough last night, but will do so in a bit..

> > The starters themselves *eventually made it back to the fridge in a
> > higher hydration state after the refreshments this time. One is thick
> > batter. The hydration may stay that way a few weeks, then I'll switch
> > over to firm starters for awhile...I am fickle, but have noticed no
> > flavor or rising differences other than the usual with these 3
> > starters.

> > Boron

> For me it is too cold to make the starters and I do want to pay a higher
> propane bill. I keep my home at 68F daytime and 58 nighttime, so I just use
> the bread machine for my bread doughs during the winter. Summer time is the
> time for me to make the sourdough breads.
>
> Winter with its low indoor humidity is the time for confectionaries for me.
>
> --
> Enjoy Life... Nad R *(Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

That's why I use the oven as a 'hot box'. Put it in the oven with
the oven light on and it is a perfect environment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> Watching the dough rise is much more exciting than watching football!

I have a ball of dough in the bread machine right now. Will bake it
in the oven whenever it rises; don't know how long that will take
(using wild yeast sourdough again)

I need to bake cookies this afternoon to take to a Superbowl party.
This cookie recipe tastes better the second day.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 07:26:53 -0700, "graham" > wrote:
>
>> I use a relatively firm starter that
>>apparently has a different balance of yeast versus bacteria than the
>>sloppy
>>starter used in SF SD.
>>Graham
>>

> I change the consistency of my starters all the time. Am I really
> changing those critter ratios so rapidly? I am guessing not. My
> starters remain stable, even with all my variations.
>
> Regardless of the consistency I have kept my starter, when I put it
> into a preferment, and regardless of the hydration of the preferment,
> I get a delightfully loose and juicy mess to plop into the DLX.
>
> In fact my latest bowl of goo began life Thursday when I removed a
> initially firmer starter from the fridge, refreshed it to a firm dough
> twice, then mixed up a preferment that was a sticky ball yesterday
> morning. The kitchen has been quite cold...high 50sF in the nights, so
> I did not make the dough last night, but will do so in a bit..
>
> The starters themselves eventually made it back to the fridge in a
> higher hydration state after the refreshments this time. One is thick
> batter. The hydration may stay that way a few weeks, then I'll switch
> over to firm starters for awhile...I am fickle, but have noticed no
> flavor or rising differences other than the usual with these 3
> starters.
>
> Boron

I have only the one starter/chef that I made a few years ago and it's pretty
powerful. I maintain it at about 62-63% hydration and feed it when I feel
like it - every few weeks. I'll make a poolish tonight with half the flour,
all the water and a dollop of culture. I have a cupboard near the kitchen
that is a little warmer than the general ambient temp as the heating ducts
to the upper floor are in the walls.
I'll bake the loaf probably late tomorrow morning using a Lodge dutch oven
in the NYT method.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 16:19:14 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar > wrote:
>> On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 07:26:53 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

>> In fact my latest bowl of goo began life Thursday when I removed a
>> initially firmer starter from the fridge, refreshed it to a firm dough
>> twice, then mixed up a preferment that was a sticky ball yesterday
>> morning. The kitchen has been quite cold...high 50sF in the nights, so
>> I did not make the dough last night, but will do so in a bit..

>> Boron

>For me it is too cold to make the starters and I do want to pay a higher
>propane bill. I keep my home at 68F daytime and 58 nighttime, so I just use
>the bread machine for my bread doughs during the winter. Summer time is the
>time for me to make the sourdough breads.
>
>Winter with its low indoor humidity is the time for confectionaries for me.

It is quite easy to accommodate extreme heat (I have no AC in my
kitchen) or the chill of winter (it is 61F in the kitchen right now).

I use the microwave to make a microclimate. All one needs it to take
an a mug or two, or insulated cups and fill them with hot water or
ices cubes and place them in the unit with the dough. Temp problem
solved.

A microwave oven is the cheapest, most easily available proofer I
know.

All my doughs begin with preferment of 12-24 hours. The final dough is
always overnighted in the fridge and baked the next day. There is
nothing like long, long fermentation to develop the flavor for bread.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I need to bake cookies this afternoon to take to a Superbowl party.
> This cookie recipe tastes better the second day.
>
> -Bob

So, post it. eh?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> I need to bake cookies this afternoon to take to a Superbowl party.
>> This cookie recipe tastes better the second day.
>>
>> -Bob

> So, post it. eh?

But wait until tomorrow if they taste better the second day.

Fleece

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Feb 5, 8:19 am, Nad R > wrote:
>> Boron Elgar > wrote:

>>> I change the consistency of my starters all the time. Am I really
>>> changing those critter ratios so rapidly? I am guessing not. My
>>> starters remain stable, even with all my variations.

>>> Regardless of the consistency I have kept my starter, when I put it
>>> into a preferment, and regardless of the hydration of the preferment,
>>> I get a delightfully loose and juicy mess to plop into the DLX.

>>> In fact my latest bowl of goo began life Thursday when I removed a
>>> initially firmer starter from the fridge, refreshed it to a firm dough
>>> twice, then mixed up a preferment that was a sticky ball yesterday
>>> morning. The kitchen has been quite cold...high 50sF in the nights, so
>>> I did not make the dough last night, but will do so in a bit..

>>> The starters themselves eventually made it back to the fridge in a
>>> higher hydration state after the refreshments this time. One is thick
>>> batter. The hydration may stay that way a few weeks, then I'll switch
>>> over to firm starters for awhile...I am fickle, but have noticed no
>>> flavor or rising differences other than the usual with these 3
>>> starters.

>>> Boron

>> For me it is too cold to make the starters and I do want to pay a higher
>> propane bill. I keep my home at 68F daytime and 58 nighttime, so I just use
>> the bread machine for my bread doughs during the winter. Summer time is the
>> time for me to make the sourdough breads.
>>
>> Winter with its low indoor humidity is the time for confectionaries for me.
>>
>> --
>> Enjoy Life... Nad R (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

> That's why I use the oven as a 'hot box'. Put it in the oven with
> the oven light on and it is a perfect environment.

I have thought about. The method is In the Peter Reinharts book. I just
something I am sure I wanted to do. I may put temperature probe in it a see
if it warm enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> Watching the dough rise is much more exciting than watching football!

I'd rather watch the Puppy Bowl

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Felice" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > zxcvbob > wrote:
> >
> >> I need to bake cookies this afternoon to take to a Superbowl party.
> >> This cookie recipe tastes better the second day.
> >>
> >> -Bob

> > So, post it. eh?

> But wait until tomorrow if they taste better the second day.
>
> Fleece

<thwack!> <And the judge shows no mercy on Barb for beatin' on a sweet
little old lady with new joints.>

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> I need to bake cookies this afternoon to take to a Superbowl party.
>> This cookie recipe tastes better the second day.
>>
>> -Bob

> So, post it. eh?

Chocolate Sundae Cookies
(from http://basicallybaked.wordpress.com)

1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
2 oz. melted unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
18 large marshmallows, cut in half

Whisk together the flour, soda, and salt. Set aside. Cream the
butter and sugar; thoroughly blend in the egg. Stir in half the dry
ingredients. Add the cherry juice and milk. Stir in the remaining
dry ingredients until completely combined. Blend in the melted
chocolate. Stir in the nuts and cherries. Drop by rounded
teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10
to 12 minutes. [10 works better in my oven] Place one marshmallow
half cut-side-down on each hot cookie. Cool on wire rack. Top with
Chocolate Frosting.

Chocolate Frosting

Combine 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup milk, and 1 cup sugar in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil for 30 seconds. Stir
in 1 cup chocolate chips until melted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/4/2011 7:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> To me, watching anything other than football would be more exciting than
> watching football. Heh! But I do like watching dough rise. What kind of
> bread are you making?

Watching dough rise can not hold my attention, maybe I am too
impatient. Right now I am making kolaches, so I am timing the dough.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/5/2011 10:53 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> That's why I use the oven as a 'hot box'. Put it in the oven with
> the oven light on and it is a perfect environment.

Cheese and rice! That's what the Amish say, instead of shouting, "Jesus
Christ!" I am making kolaches and the dough is almost ready. I will
remember that in the future.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/5/2011 3:43 PM, zxcvbob wrote:

> Chocolate Sundae Cookies
> (from http://basicallybaked.wordpress.com)
>
> 1 1/2 cup flour
> 1/2 tsp baking soda
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 2/3 cup brown sugar
> 1/2 cup butter
> 1 egg
> 2 Tbsp milk
> 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
> 2 oz. melted unsweetened chocolate
> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
> 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
> 18 large marshmallows, cut in half
>
> Whisk together the flour, soda, and salt. Set aside. Cream the
> butter and sugar; thoroughly blend in the egg. Stir in half the dry
> ingredients. Add the cherry juice and milk. Stir in the remaining
> dry ingredients until completely combined. Blend in the melted
> chocolate. Stir in the nuts and cherries. Drop by rounded teaspoons
> onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12
> minutes. [10 works better in my oven] Place one marshmallow half
> cut-side-down on each hot cookie. Cool on wire rack. Top with
> Chocolate Frosting.
>

> Chocolate Frosting
>
> Combine 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup milk, and 1 cup sugar in a saucepan.
> Bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil for 30 seconds. Stir in 1
> cup chocolate chips until melted.

This recipe sounds interesting, and after looking at these photos, I
can't wait to make them. They look so good! I do not have any
maraschino cherry juice, though. Not that I need to be eating cookies,
but I could make them for someone else. ;-)

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cooki...SunCookies.htm

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 2/5/2011 3:43 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>> Chocolate Sundae Cookies
>> (from http://basicallybaked.wordpress.com)
>>
>> 1 1/2 cup flour
>> 1/2 tsp baking soda
>> 1/2 tsp salt
>> 2/3 cup brown sugar
>> 1/2 cup butter
>> 1 egg
>> 2 Tbsp milk
>> 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
>> 2 oz. melted unsweetened chocolate
>> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
>> 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
>> 18 large marshmallows, cut in half
>>
>> Whisk together the flour, soda, and salt. Set aside. Cream the
>> butter and sugar; thoroughly blend in the egg. Stir in half the dry
>> ingredients. Add the cherry juice and milk. Stir in the remaining
>> dry ingredients until completely combined. Blend in the melted
>> chocolate. Stir in the nuts and cherries. Drop by rounded teaspoons
>> onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12
>> minutes. [10 works better in my oven] Place one marshmallow half
>> cut-side-down on each hot cookie. Cool on wire rack. Top with
>> Chocolate Frosting.
>>

>> Chocolate Frosting
>>
>> Combine 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup milk, and 1 cup sugar in a saucepan.
>> Bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil for 30 seconds. Stir in 1
>> cup chocolate chips until melted.

> This recipe sounds interesting, and after looking at these photos, I
> can't wait to make them. They look so good! I do not have any
> maraschino cherry juice, though. Not that I need to be eating cookies,
> but I could make them for someone else. ;-)
>
> http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cooki...SunCookies.htm
>
> Becca

You have maraschino cherries and don't have the juice? (hint: it's
just the syrup from the jar) :-)

-Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "graham" > wrote in message
>>> Watching the dough rise is much more exciting than watching football!

>> To me, watching anything other than football would be more exciting than
>> watching football. Heh! But I do like watching dough rise. What kind
>> of bread are you making?

> Pain au levain, i.e., the French style sourdough that has a more subtle
> taste than San Francisco SD. I use a relatively firm starter that
> apparently has a different balance of yeast versus bacteria than the
> sloppy starter used in SF SD.
> Graham

Nice. I never got that to work well for me. I always kill the starter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Felice" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>> > So, post it. eh?

>> But wait until tomorrow if they taste better the second day.
>>
>> Fleece

> <thwack!> <And the judge shows no mercy on Barb for beatin' on a sweet
> little old lady with new joints.>
>
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Sweet? Hey, lady, who you callin' sweet?

Fleece

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "graham" > wrote in message
>> Watching the dough rise is much more exciting than watching football!
>>

> I'd rather watch the Puppy Bowl
>
> Jill

At least you have one of these...

*http://tinyurl.com/48wnsy8*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > zxcvbob > wrote:
> >
> >> I need to bake cookies this afternoon to take to a Superbowl party.
> >> This cookie recipe tastes better the second day.
> >>
> >> -Bob

> > So, post it. eh?
> >

> Chocolate Sundae Cookies
> (from http://basicallybaked.wordpress.com)
>
> 1 1/2 cup flour
> 1/2 tsp baking soda
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 2/3 cup brown sugar
> 1/2 cup butter
> 1 egg
> 2 Tbsp milk
> 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
> 2 oz. melted unsweetened chocolate
> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
> 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
> 18 large marshmallows, cut in half
>
> Whisk together the flour, soda, and salt. Set aside. Cream the
> butter and sugar; thoroughly blend in the egg. Stir in half the dry
> ingredients. Add the cherry juice and milk. Stir in the remaining
> dry ingredients until completely combined. Blend in the melted
> chocolate. Stir in the nuts and cherries. Drop by rounded
> teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10
> to 12 minutes. [10 works better in my oven] Place one marshmallow
> half cut-side-down on each hot cookie. Cool on wire rack. Top with
> Chocolate Frosting.
>

> Chocolate Frosting
>
> Combine 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup milk, and 1 cup sugar in a saucepan.
> Bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil for 30 seconds. Stir
> in 1 cup chocolate chips until melted.

You should run a couple dozen up here.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Felice" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> But wait until tomorrow if they taste better the second day.
> >>
> >> Fleece

> > <thwack!> <And the judge shows no mercy on Barb for beatin' on a sweet
> > little old lady with new joints.>
> >
> > Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

> Sweet? Hey, lady, who you callin' sweet?
>
> Fleece

You, Sug-ah!

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 15:31:20 -0500, Felice wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> zxcvbob > wrote:
>>
>>> I need to bake cookies this afternoon to take to a Superbowl party.
>>> This cookie recipe tastes better the second day.
>>>
>>> -Bob

>> So, post it. eh?

> But wait until tomorrow if they taste better the second day.
>
> Fleece

<snort>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/6/2011 8:38 AM, T wrote:
>> Watching dough rise can not hold my attention, maybe I am too
>> impatient. Right now I am making kolaches, so I am timing the dough.
>>
>> Becca

> I suppose a Ciabatta would be something you wouldn't want to do.
> Requires some careful timing as it's a 20 hour rise on that bread.

If I have to tend to the dough a lot, you are probably right, but I do
love ciabatta bread. I have never had it made fresh, though.

Becca