Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking pasta with salt and water

Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta in,
or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. > wrote:

>Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta in,
>or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

There is no need to add salt in the first place.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 1, 3:57 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Christopher M. > wrote:
> >Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta in,
> >or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

Pasta cooked in salty water tastes better than pasta cooked in plain
water. Easy enough to validate--just make two batches, drain and
taste test. I would think you can add the salt any time shortly
before or after you put the pasta in, as the volume of water is large
compared to the size of the pasta. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Christopher M. > wrote:
>
>>Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta
>>in,
>>or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

Doesn't it reduce the bubbling?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> On Feb 1, 3:57 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>> Christopher M. > wrote:
>> >Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta
>> >in,
>> >or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

>> There is no need to add salt in the first place.
>>

> Pasta cooked in salty water tastes better than pasta cooked in plain
> water. Easy enough to validate--just make two batches, drain and
> taste test. I would think you can add the salt any time shortly
> before or after you put the pasta in, as the volume of water is large
> compared to the size of the pasta. -aem

True. And it's not like it's going to absorb much when it first enters the
water anyway, if it's dried pasta.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem > wrote:

>On Feb 1, 3:57 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:

>> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

>Pasta cooked in salty water tastes better than pasta cooked in plain
>water. Easy enough to validate--just make two batches, drain and
>taste test.

Well, perhaps my affinity for salt is different from yours. And
in any case I like "surface salt" -- sea salt applied after a
dish is composed, or when it is close to completion.

There are some exceptions, and one is pasta in broth (e.g. pasta
and leeks which I wish to be slightly soupy... not a total broth
dish like you would find in Italy, but in that direction).

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> Christopher M. > wrote:
>>
>>>Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta
>>>in,
>>>or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

>> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

> Doesn't it reduce the bubbling?
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Salt raises boiling temperature to a very small degree, given the amount of
salt usually put into the pasta water.

IF you want to cut your bubbling. add 1 tablespoon oil to the water. The
lessening of bubbles will astound you.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 3:54*pm, "Christopher M." >
wrote:
> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta in,
> or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

It is a Federal crime to add salt after you've added the pasta. 10
years to life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/1/2011 7:20 PM, Kent wrote:
>> > Doesn't it reduce the bubbling?
>> >

>> > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>> >

> Salt raises boiling temperature to a very small degree, given the amount of
> salt usually put into the pasta water.
>
> IF you want to cut your bubbling. add 1 tablespoon oil to the water. The
> lessening of bubbles will astound you.

I just recently discovered that with rice. Rice always bubbled over
with foam no matter the size of the pot. Once I read here that some
sort of fat would reduce the foam, I've never had that problem again. I
use just a little slice of butter in the cooking water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 6:54*pm, "Christopher M." >
wrote:
> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta in,
> or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

It would behoove you to try both methods...and report on YOUR
experience. I can't tell you how you perceieve salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta
> in, or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

You can do that. I've even added it after it has cooked when I forgot to
put it in at the beginning. I just stirred it through really well and
drained it. Tasted fine.

Lidia Bastianich had some salt tablets on her show. No clue where she got
them. She said one was the perfect amount for a pot of pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Christopher M. > wrote:
>
>>Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta
>>in,
>>or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

I believe there is. Lidia Bastianich said the water needs to be briny with
salt. Pasta hasn't got a lot of flavor. IMO, it doesn't taste like much if
you don't add the salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> aem > wrote:
>
>>On Feb 1, 3:57 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:

>>> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

>>Pasta cooked in salty water tastes better than pasta cooked in plain
>>water. Easy enough to validate--just make two batches, drain and
>>taste test.

> Well, perhaps my affinity for salt is different from yours. And
> in any case I like "surface salt" -- sea salt applied after a
> dish is composed, or when it is close to completion.
>
> There are some exceptions, and one is pasta in broth (e.g. pasta
> and leeks which I wish to be slightly soupy... not a total broth
> dish like you would find in Italy, but in that direction).

I use sea salt in my cooking unless the recipe calls for something else.
The only foods I like the surface salt on, as you say, would be popcorn,
French fries and similar types of potatoes, baked potatoes and green salad.
Otherwise I don't like it at all.

My mom cooks without salt. She always tells us if we want salt to add it
later. For me it doesn't work that way. Brown rice with salt on it just
tastes like salty brown rice. But add the same amount of salt in cooking
and it tastes fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> Christopher M. > wrote:
>>
>>>Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta
>>>in,
>>>or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

>> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

> Doesn't it reduce the bubbling?

I believe salt lowers the boiling point. But then again I have read that it
raises the boiling point. I honestly don't know which is true.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

>I believe there is. Lidia Bastianich said the water needs to be briny with
>salt. Pasta hasn't got a lot of flavor. IMO, it doesn't taste like much if
>you don't add the salt.

I guess my view is once you try it a few times without salt,
you will never miss it. Salt preference is very much a matter
of what you're used to.

I haven't added salt (nor oil) to pasta boiling water for many
years, maybe a couple decades, and I don't miss it at all.

Tangentially: I did try the Bionature pasta that Christine and
others recommended here. And, it seems maybe slightly slightly better
than other whole wheat pastas. It's apparent from the labeling that
it is slightly less dried out (less carbs, calories, and protein per
ounce of dry pasta), and their blurb says something about
a special "slow drying process".

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 5:54*pm, "Christopher M." >
wrote:
> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta in,
> or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Nahhh, the salt will still dissolve in the water and then soak into
the pasta as the pasta cooks. Of course the sooner you put the salt in
the water, the more of it will end up IN the pasta.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 7:07*pm, Cheryl > wrote:

> > Salt raises boiling temperature to a very small degree, given the amount of
> > salt usually put into the pasta water.

> > IF you want to cut your bubbling. add 1 tablespoon oil to the water. The
> > lessening of bubbles will astound you.

> I just recently discovered that with rice. *Rice always bubbled over
> with foam no matter the size of the pot. *Once I read here that some
> sort of fat would reduce the foam, I've never had that problem again. I
> use just a little slice of butter in the cooking water.

I'm cooking a batch of brown rice as I type. Brought the water, salt
and butter up to a good rolling boil, dumped in the rice, brought back
to boil, covered and turn the heat down to a simmer, and in one hour:
perfectly cooked brown rice!

I get no boiling over, ever.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>>> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

>>I believe there is. Lidia Bastianich said the water needs to be briny
>>with
>>salt. Pasta hasn't got a lot of flavor. IMO, it doesn't taste like much
>>if
>>you don't add the salt.

> I guess my view is once you try it a few times without salt,
> you will never miss it. Salt preference is very much a matter
> of what you're used to.

Wrong, IMO. I learned to cook without salt so always made my pasta without.
Until I learned on various cooking shows that it does need salt. It is MUCH
better with.

> I haven't added salt (nor oil) to pasta boiling water for many
> years, maybe a couple decades, and I don't miss it at all.

I can certainly tell if it is cooked without.

> Tangentially: I did try the Bionature pasta that Christine and
> others recommended here. And, it seems maybe slightly slightly better
> than other whole wheat pastas. It's apparent from the labeling that
> it is slightly less dried out (less carbs, calories, and protein per
> ounce of dry pasta), and their blurb says something about
> a special "slow drying process".

I believe I used it years ago. Can't remember much one way or the other.
> Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Christopher M." > wrote:

> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta in

Yes. I do it often.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 5:54*pm, "Christopher M." >
wrote:
> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta in,
> or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

Try rubbing the salt into the insides of your eyelids and report
back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta
> in, or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

As long as the salt is added by the half way cooked point it comes out just
fine. You really do need salt otherwise the pasta is quite bland and flat
tasting. The water should have a slightly salty taste too it, not quite sea
water strength.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Christopher M." > wrote in message

>>> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

>> Doesn't it reduce the bubbling?
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>

> Salt raises boiling temperature to a very small degree, given the amount
> of salt usually put into the pasta water.
>
> IF you want to cut your bubbling. add 1 tablespoon oil to the water. The
> lessening of bubbles will astound you.
>
> Kent

Thanks. I hate having to turn down the temperature and extend the cooking
time.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
On Feb 1, 7:07 pm, Cheryl > wrote:

> > Salt raises boiling temperature to a very small degree, given the amount
> > of
> > salt usually put into the pasta water.

> > IF you want to cut your bubbling. add 1 tablespoon oil to the water. The
> > lessening of bubbles will astound you.

> I just recently discovered that with rice. Rice always bubbled over
> with foam no matter the size of the pot. Once I read here that some
> sort of fat would reduce the foam, I've never had that problem again. I
> use just a little slice of butter in the cooking water.

I'm cooking a batch of brown rice as I type. Brought the water, salt
and butter up to a good rolling boil, dumped in the rice, brought back
to boil, covered and turn the heat down to a simmer, and in one hour:
perfectly cooked brown rice!

I get no boiling over, ever.

---
I've only had boil over a couple of times. Both times I used a pan that was
too small.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:
> On Feb 1, 6:54 pm, "Christopher M." >
> wrote:
>> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the
>> pasta in, or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

> It would behoove you to try both methods...and report on YOUR
> experience. I can't tell you how you perceieve salt.

I'm very sensitive to salt. I can't take the chance.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Christopher M." > wrote in message
>> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the
>> pasta in, or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

> You can do that. I've even added it after it has cooked when I
> forgot to put it in at the beginning. I just stirred it through
> really well and drained it. Tasted fine.

Cool. Thanks.

> Lidia Bastianich had some salt tablets on her show. No clue where
> she got them. She said one was the perfect amount for a pot of pasta.

That's a fantastic idea. I hate having to measure it out. Thank you.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Feb 1, 5:54 pm, "Christopher M." >
> wrote:
>> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the
>> pasta in, or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?
>>
>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> Nahhh, the salt will still dissolve in the water and then soak into
> the pasta as the pasta cooks. Of course the sooner you put the salt in
> the water, the more of it will end up IN the pasta.
>
> John Kuthe...

Hmm. Interesting.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

projectile vomit chick wrote:
> On Feb 1, 5:54 pm, "Christopher M." >
> wrote:
>> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the
>> pasta in, or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

> Try rubbing the salt into the insides of your eyelids and report
> back.

Done that.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Christopher M." > wrote in message
>> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the
>> pasta in, or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?
>>

> As long as the salt is added by the half way cooked point it comes
> out just fine. You really do need salt otherwise the pasta is quite
> bland and flat tasting. The water should have a slightly salty taste
> too it, not quite sea water strength.
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul. I remember hearing something like that. It's fun to measure
things with taste instead of tablespoons.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> aem > wrote:

>>> Pasta cooked in salty water tastes better than pasta cooked in plain
>>> water. Easy enough to validate--just make two batches, drain and
>>> taste test.

>> Well, perhaps my affinity for salt is different from yours. And
>> in any case I like "surface salt" -- sea salt applied after a
>> dish is composed, or when it is close to completion.
>>
>> There are some exceptions, and one is pasta in broth (e.g. pasta
>> and leeks which I wish to be slightly soupy... not a total broth
>> dish like you would find in Italy, but in that direction).

> I use sea salt in my cooking unless the recipe calls for something
> else. The only foods I like the surface salt on, as you say, would be
> popcorn, French fries and similar types of potatoes, baked potatoes
> and green salad. Otherwise I don't like it at all.
>
> My mom cooks without salt. She always tells us if we want salt to
> add it later. For me it doesn't work that way. Brown rice with salt
> on it just tastes like salty brown rice. But add the same amount of
> salt in cooking and it tastes fine.

I remember reading that a saltless diet can be very unhealthy.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. > wrote:

>I remember reading that a saltless diet can be very unhealthy.

That's completely correct. If you ate no sodium whatsoever, you would
fall sick and die. But trust me, you get enough, no matter how little
salt you add when cooking anything.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"HumBug!" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 19:40:07 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>

>>"Christopher M." > wrote in message
>>> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta
>>> in, or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?
>>>

>>As long as the salt is added by the half way cooked point it comes out
>>just
>>fine. You really do need salt otherwise the pasta is quite bland and flat
>>tasting.

> Salt HAS NO FLAVOR, it simply enhances whatever flavor it touches.
>
> Pasta IS bland, which is why it isn't eaten by itself.
>
> Or, maybe YOU DO just eat a handful of bare pasta.

Pasta without salt is like a kiss without a squeeze. Nice, but lacking
passion.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:08:05 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Lidia Bastianich had some salt tablets on her show. No clue where she got
> them. She said one was the perfect amount for a pot of pasta.

I searched for "salt tablets" on the website of the store she owns
with Mario Batali in NYC, but didn't turn it up. Here's a web site
for you
http://stores.theoliveandthegrape.bi...ino/Detail.bok

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:37:51 -0800, HumBug! >
wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:55:23 -0800, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>

> >Wrong, IMO. I learned to cook without salt so always made my pasta without.
> >Until I learned on various cooking shows that it does need salt. It is MUCH
> >better with.

> So your own PERSONAL EXPERIENCE says it DOESN'T need salt, but some moron
> on a cooking show says it DOES, and you go with the moron's opinion??

You have a problem with salt and need to be extra careful, she
doesn't. You sound like bobo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"HumBug!" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 19:40:07 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>

>>"Christopher M." > wrote in message
>>> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta
>>> in, or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?
>>>

>>As long as the salt is added by the half way cooked point it comes out
>>just
>>fine. You really do need salt otherwise the pasta is quite bland and flat
>>tasting.

> Salt HAS NO FLAVOR, it simply enhances whatever flavor it touches.
>
> Pasta IS bland, which is why it isn't eaten by itself.
>
> Or, maybe YOU DO just eat a handful of bare pasta.

I _love_ a good semolina pasta. But I wouldn't put salt on egg whites,
unless maybe it was a flavored salt like garlic salt.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"HumBug!" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:56:52 -0500, "Christopher M."
> > wrote:
>
>>I remember reading that a saltless diet can be very unhealthy.

> On a junk science site??

It was a book about dehydration.

> There is WAY TOO MUCH salt in almost all processed foods, and even in many
> natural ones.

Some kids grow up eating organic, but saltless food. That's not healthy.
That's unhealthy.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"HumBug!" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:55:23 -0800, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>

>>Wrong, IMO. I learned to cook without salt so always made my pasta
>>without.
>>Until I learned on various cooking shows that it does need salt. It is
>>MUCH
>>better with.

> So your own PERSONAL EXPERIENCE says it DOESN'T need salt, but some moron
> on a cooking show says it DOES, and you go with the moron's opinion??

I don't think those people I saw are morons. Yeah there are a few chefs
that I am not overly fond of. But if some people say it, I will believe
them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:37:51 -0800, HumBug! >
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:55:23 -0800, "Julie Bove" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >Wrong, IMO. I learned to cook without salt so always made my pasta
>> >without.
>> >Until I learned on various cooking shows that it does need salt. It is
>> >MUCH
>> >better with.

>> So your own PERSONAL EXPERIENCE says it DOESN'T need salt, but some moron
>> on a cooking show says it DOES, and you go with the moron's opinion??
>>

> You have a problem with salt and need to be extra careful, she
> doesn't. You sound like bobo.

I am on such a high dose of BP meds (for kidneys) I tend to have low BP. My
Dr. told me to eat more salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"HumBug!" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:56:52 -0500, "Christopher M."
> > wrote:
>
>>I remember reading that a saltless diet can be very unhealthy.

> On a junk science site??
>
> There is WAY TOO MUCH salt in almost all processed foods, and even in many
> natural ones.
>
> In fact, if you DON'T CHECK, you may be getting way too much salt in your
> food.
>
> I didn't check, until I developed serious high blood pressure problems.
>
> Now I SERIOUS watch everything I eat.

Sodium only affects about 10% of all people with high BP. I'm sorry that
you are one of them. I am not. Most of us are not. My diet is not overly
high in sodium. I have checked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message

> "HumBug!" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:56:52 -0500, "Christopher M."
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I remember reading that a saltless diet can be very unhealthy.

>> On a junk science site??

> It was a book about dehydration.
>
>> There is WAY TOO MUCH salt in almost all processed foods, and even in
>> many
>> natural ones.

> Some kids grow up eating organic, but saltless food. That's not healthy.
> That's unhealthy.

Agreed.