Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking pasta with salt and water

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:08:05 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Lidia Bastianich had some salt tablets on her show. No clue where she
>> got
>> them. She said one was the perfect amount for a pot of pasta.

> I searched for "salt tablets" on the website of the store she owns
> with Mario Batali in NYC, but didn't turn it up. Here's a web site
> for you
> http://stores.theoliveandthegrape.bi...ino/Detail.bok
>
> --

I didn't know they owned a store. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:00:58 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:08:05 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Lidia Bastianich had some salt tablets on her show. No clue where she
> >> got
> >> them. She said one was the perfect amount for a pot of pasta.

> > I searched for "salt tablets" on the website of the store she owns
> > with Mario Batali in NYC, but didn't turn it up. Here's a web site
> > for you
> > http://stores.theoliveandthegrape.bi...ino/Detail.bok
> >

> I didn't know they owned a store. Thanks!

Yes, it's called Eataly and I hear it's an amazing place for foodies.
http://eatalyny.com/the-market

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"HumBug!" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:54:07 -0500, "Christopher M."
> > wrote:
>
>>Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta
>>in,
>>or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

> There is NO good reason at all to add salt to the water.

Except to make it taste good.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

HumBug! > wrote:

>Salt HAS NO FLAVOR, it simply enhances whatever flavor it touches.

>Pasta IS bland, which is why it isn't eaten by itself.

>Or, maybe YOU DO just eat a handful of bare pasta.

I see pasta as analogous to bread. Most bread has salt in it,
which makes it taste like the stuff that is in bread -- wheat, yeast.
But some bread is unsalted because it's intended to be eaten
with something salty like salumi or cheese or porchetta. A lot of Italian
bread is unsalted.

If I'm making pasta with red sauce and there is Italian sausage
in the sauce, I'm fine with the only salty ingredient being the sausage.
Or if it is pasta puttinesca, the anchovies/olives will provide
the salt. Pasta Romano, with cheese, oil and pepper, has salt in
the cheese. You usually do not need more than one salt ingredient
in a dish.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 6:54*pm, "Christopher M." >
wrote:
> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta in,
> or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

I never put salt or oil in my pasta water. Stir it a bit and it
doesn't stick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Portland wrote on Wed, 2 Feb 2011 05:23:25 -0800 (PST):

> On Feb 1, 6:54 pm, "Christopher M."
> > wrote:
>> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I
>> put the pasta in, or will the salt stick to the pasta and
>> make it very salty?
>>
>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

I haven't cooked pasta with salt or oil for years. When adding pasta to
boiling water there is tendency for lots of foaming but this is no
problem with a big enough pot. I'd always been told that the oil
prevented the strands from sticking to each other but I've never noticed
any difference.

If you want to add salt later, do so since it will dissolve immediately.
I don't think pasta absorbs much salt but a little salty water will
remain if you don't rinse it.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Steve Pope) wrote:
>Julie Bove > wrote:
>>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>>> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

>>I believe there is. Lidia Bastianich said the water needs to be briny with
>>salt. Pasta hasn't got a lot of flavor. IMO, it doesn't taste like much if
>>you don't add the salt.

>I guess my view is once you try it a few times without salt,
>you will never miss it. Salt preference is very much a matter
>of what you're used to.
>
>I haven't added salt (nor oil) to pasta boiling water for many
>years, maybe a couple decades, and I don't miss it at all.

I don't add any oil... adding oil to pasta cooking water coats the
pasta and prevents sauce from clinging, plus unnecessarily mucks up
the pot. I add salt according to how the pasta will be served; if a
buttery primavera (just veggies and fat-no cheese) I will salt the
water, but if with a tomato sauce and especially with meat and/or
cheese there is more than enough salt in the adornments. Btw, salt
does essentially nothing to change the boiling temperature of water,
not enough to matter.... you'd need to add so much salt to raise the
boiling temperature one degree F. it would render the pasta inedible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> If you want to add salt later, do so since it will dissolve immediately.
> I don't think pasta absorbs much salt but a little salty water will
> remain if you don't rinse it.

you rinse your pasta? Why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote on Wed, 02 Feb 2011 09:24:09 -0500:

>> If you want to add salt later, do so since it will dissolve
>> immediately. I don't think pasta absorbs much salt but a
>> little salty water will remain if you don't rinse it.

DId I say *I* rinsed pasta? All I meant was that, if you are worried
about salt water staying on the stuff, you could rinse it.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

HumBug! > wrote:
-snip-

>Salt HAS NO FLAVOR, it simply enhances whatever flavor it touches.

That's just silly. Salt has no flavor? I'll bet blindfolded I can
tell the difference between Kosher, Himalayan and Black salts [I
might try a few sips in water so I know it isn't the mouth feel that
stimulates different tastebuds] - and I'm far from a conniseur.

But even if I can't--- are you saying that a glass of distilled water
will taste the same after I put salt in it?

I agree that it enhances other flavors-- but it certainly has a flavor
of its own.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 6:57*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Christopher M. > wrote:
> >Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta in,
> >or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

> There is no need to add salt in the first place.
>
> Steve

I forgot the salt once and felt that there was a decided difference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> problem with a big enough pot. I'd always been told that the oil
> prevented the strands from sticking to each other

I think that's bogus. The only reason I might add oil to the water is
to reduce the foaming a bit ‹ to keep the pot from boiling over. And if
you use a large enough kettle that isn't even a problem.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 19:40:07 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Christopher M." > wrote in message
>> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta
>> in, or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?
>>

>As long as the salt is added by the half way cooked point it comes out just
>fine. You really do need salt otherwise the pasta is quite bland and flat
>tasting.
>
>Paul

So you eat your pasta just boiled, dry, no sauce/no nothing?

Makes as much sense to salt pasta cooking water as to salt rice
cooking water when the rice is going to end up in some other dish like
say fried rice or drowned under Cantonese lobster sauce. Btw, Chinese
restaurants don't salt their white rice. There is no need to salt
potato boiling water when making potato salad either... no need to
salt pasta cooking water when making pasta salad or mac n' cheese, or
putanesca or lasagna. Whether to add salt to cooking water for
anything is entirely dependant upon what the anything will become. And
for a typical dago pasta dish rather than cook in salted water I'd
much rather add more cheese please. It's really brainless kooking to
add salt indiscriminately, like the imbeciles who salt before tasting.
I know, there are salt shakers on table in pizza parlors... but what
do yoose expect from TIAD guidos who salt their pepperoni anchovy pie.
I've actually been to restaurants with people who salt before
tasting... then they go about ragging on the joint about how their
food is too salty. duh There are salt shakers on table in Chinese
restaurants too, doesn't mean you need to use them and then go home
and bitch about msg.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:40:23 -0800, HumBug! >
wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 19:40:07 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>

>>"Christopher M." > wrote in message
>>> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta
>>> in, or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?
>>>

>>As long as the salt is added by the half way cooked point it comes out just
>>fine. You really do need salt otherwise the pasta is quite bland and flat
>>tasting.

>Salt HAS NO FLAVOR.

WRONG!

Salt is one of the flavors humans can taste... sweet, sour, bitter,
salt... never ate pussy, eh? Umami is as far as I'm concerned just
the flavor of a salt (sodium) chemically altered to make foods taste
savory.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Christopher M." > wrote in message

>>> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

>> Doesn't it reduce the bubbling?
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>

> Salt raises boiling temperature to a very small degree, given the amount
> of salt usually put into the pasta water.
>
> IF you want to cut your bubbling. add 1 tablespoon oil to the water. The
> lessening of bubbles will astound you.
>
> Kent

Why would anyone want to reduce the bubbling in boiling water? Turn down
the heat! In my experience, oil added to the water makes it difficult for a
sauce to cling to the pasta.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:56:52 -0500, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Well, perhaps my affinity for salt is different from yours. And
>>> in any case I like "surface salt" -- sea salt applied after a
>>> dish is composed, or when it is close to completion.
>>>
>>> There are some exceptions, and one is pasta in broth (e.g. pasta
>>> and leeks which I wish to be slightly soupy... not a total broth
>>> dish like you would find in Italy, but in that direction).

>> I use sea salt in my cooking unless the recipe calls for something
>> else. The only foods I like the surface salt on, as you say, would be
>> popcorn, French fries and similar types of potatoes, baked potatoes
>> and green salad. Otherwise I don't like it at all.
>>
>> My mom cooks without salt. She always tells us if we want salt to
>> add it later. For me it doesn't work that way. Brown rice with salt
>> on it just tastes like salty brown rice. But add the same amount of
>> salt in cooking and it tastes fine.

>I remember reading that a saltless diet can be very unhealthy.

You never read any such thing. There is no such thing as a salt free
diet, you'd be dead. All food contains some salt. A certain amount
of salt must be ingested to live... it's better to err on the high
side than to die. The body eliminates excess salt quite
efficiently... so long as you sweat and ****.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:00:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Christopher M." > wrote in message
>>
>> "HumBug!" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:56:52 -0500, "Christopher M."

>>> On a junk science site??

>> It was a book about dehydration.
>>
>>> There is WAY TOO MUCH salt in almost all processed foods, and even in
>>> many
>>> natural ones.

>> Some kids grow up eating organic, but saltless food. That's not healthy.
>> That's unhealthy.

>Agreed.

Agreed to what? There is no such thing as saltless food... all food
contains some salt... and unless you're drinking distilled water
you're ingesting salt from your tap water, and most all beverges... I
don't think vodka contains salt but I could be wrong... I was always
under the impression that the water portion of booze is distilled
water... anyone know?

Hmm, no sodium but does contain some trace nutrients... vodka is good
for me! LOL
http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...0-proof-i14051

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 21:59:21 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"HumBug!" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:56:52 -0500, "Christopher M."
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I remember reading that a saltless diet can be very unhealthy.

>> On a junk science site??
>>
>> There is WAY TOO MUCH salt in almost all processed foods, and even in many
>> natural ones.
>>
>> In fact, if you DON'T CHECK, you may be getting way too much salt in your
>> food.
>>
>> I didn't check, until I developed serious high blood pressure problems.
>>
>> Now I SERIOUS watch everything I eat.

>Sodium only affects about 10% of all people with high BP. I'm sorry that
>you are one of them. I am not. Most of us are not. My diet is not overly
>high in sodium. I have checked.

There is really no way to check unless hooked up to a monitor 24/7...
and then there isn't much can be done about excessive salt without ill
side effects. The human body at times stores more salt than it needs,
and all food contains salt, so there are periods when ones salt levels
are not optimal regardless reading food labels... not quite enough
salt is far more dangerous than too much salt. People on low salt
diets need to be especially cognizant when exercizing and being out in
the sun or even in the shade on warm days. Often times it's healthier
to increase ones salt intake... salt is as important to life as air
and water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:21:13 -0800, HumBug! >
wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:54:07 -0500, "Christopher M."
> wrote:
>
>>Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta in,
>>or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?

>There is NO good reason at all to add salt to the water.

Not true. There are many recipes where cooking pasta in salted water
is beneficial, the plainer the pasta dish the more beneficial. When
pasta is eaten with just olive oil and garlic it will taste better
when the pasta was cooked in salted water than to salt the finished
dish... same for a pasta frittata, and a noodle kugel... most any dish
with egg noodles. There's no benefit to cook pasta in salted water
that will end up in a rich sauce like tomato/cheese but plain pasta
dishes do benefit. I often add plain boiled pasta to a garden salad
that will only be dressed with oil and vinegar, then the salt cooked
pasta tastes better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:23:00 -0800, HumBug! >
wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:20:56 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:
>

>>IF you want to cut your bubbling. add 1 tablespoon oil to the water. The
>>lessening of bubbles will astound you.

>Oil does NOTHING to stop the bubbling.

This is true, in fact the oil will make water boil more violently, it
acts as a pot lid. Kent knows far less about cooking (and everything)
than I do about playing an accordian and I have a tin ear. All I know
about accordians is I like to watch them played by big breasted
Ukraniun women. LOL
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...n-on-couch.jpg

>Use a bigger pot and you'll get no bubbling.

Well, it'll still bubble the same, just less likely to boil over.

For cooking pasta I use an 8 qt pot filled with 6 qts of water, at a
full rolling boil it has never boiled over even when cooking two
pounds of pasta. I usually cook a pound and a half because I like to
have left over pasta for the next day (nothing so good as cold
raviolis for breakfast), and I'll put aside a portion of plain for
pasta salad or adding to salads, omelets, and such... I like plain
pasta heated in the pan with sauted veggies. I don't remember ever
cooking less than a full pound of pasta unless it was one of those
sold in a 12 ounce box like bowties, and I'll sometimes measure out a
half pound of orzo to cook with a cup of rice (pilaf). At the rate
the price of pasta is rising it won't be too much longer before it's
all sold in 8 ounce boxes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 08:58:31 -0500, "J. Clarke" >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> > Doesn't it reduce the bubbling?

>> I believe salt lowers the boiling point. But then again I have read that it
>> raises the boiling point. I honestly don't know which is true.

>It raises the boiling point and lowers the freezing point. This is
>elementary chemistry.

However obviously you failed elementary cooking.

"The Effect of Sugar and Salt"

"When salt, sugar, or any other nonvolatile compounds are dissolved in
water, the freezing point of the resulting solution is lowered and
it's boiling point raised. We take advantage of this effect by using
rock salt to melt ice on roads, and to freeze ice cream. As far back
as the 18th century, solutions of calcium chloride were used to reach
temperatures of -27° F. (-33° C.). The helpfullness of solutes at the
other end of the scale is, however, more limited. It takes one ounce
of salt to raise the boiling point of a quart of water by a mere 1° F.
A Denverite who wanted to boil water at 212° F. would have to add more
than half a pound of salt to that quart of liquid." [Berk, Z.
Braverman's Introduction to the Biochemistry of Foods, Amersterdam and
New York: Elsevier, 1976]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:40:23 -0800, HumBug! wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 19:40:07 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>

>>"Christopher M." > wrote in message
>>> Sometimes I forget to add salt. Can I add the salt after I put the pasta
>>> in, or will the salt stick to the pasta and make it very salty?
>>>

>>As long as the salt is added by the half way cooked point it comes out just
>>fine. You really do need salt otherwise the pasta is quite bland and flat
>>tasting.

> Salt HAS NO FLAVOR, it simply enhances whatever flavor it touches.

so if you put some plain salt on your tongue, you just taste your tongue's
enhanced flavor?

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 09:24:09 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:
>
>> If you want to add salt later, do so since it will dissolve immediately.
>> I don't think pasta absorbs much salt but a little salty water will
>> remain if you don't rinse it.
>>

>you rinse your pasta? Why?

I rinse pasta that will become a cold pasta dish (pasta salads).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 09:24:09 -0500, Goomba >
> wrote:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>
>>> If you want to add salt later, do so since it will dissolve immediately.
>>> I don't think pasta absorbs much salt but a little salty water will
>>> remain if you don't rinse it.
>>>

>> you rinse your pasta? Why?

> I rinse pasta that will become a cold pasta dish (pasta salads).

I rinse it for salads mainly to stop the cooking process.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:00:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> It was a book about dehydration.

>>> Some kids grow up eating organic, but saltless food. That's not healthy.
>>> That's unhealthy.

>>Agreed.

> Agreed to what? There is no such thing as saltless food... all food
> contains some salt... and unless you're drinking distilled water
> you're ingesting salt from your tap water, and most all beverges... I
> don't think vodka contains salt but I could be wrong... I was always
> under the impression that the water portion of booze is distilled
> water... anyone know?
>
> Hmm, no sodium but does contain some trace nutrients... vodka is good
> for me! LOL
> http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...0-proof-i14051

I know of some raw foodists who drink only distilled water. They eat only
certain fruits and vegetables because they believe the others to be
unhealthy. So for them, they certainly could be ingesting too little
sodium. But hardly a common occurrence, I know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> James Silverton wrote:
>
>> If you want to add salt later, do so since it will dissolve immediately.
>> I don't think pasta absorbs much salt but a little salty water will
>> remain if you don't rinse it.
>>

> you rinse your pasta? Why?

I rinse pasta when it isn't going to be served or mixed with other things
right away, ie when it's 'al-dente'. Visit any trattoria or pasta bar and
you'll know that's routine praceice. If you don't rinse it, you'll have a
very hard time coming up with proper servings for final cooking later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 11:50:13 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> Why would anyone want to reduce the bubbling in boiling water? Turn down
> the heat! In my experience, oil added to the water makes it difficult for a
> sauce to cling to the pasta.

They're talking about the foaming that can happen when they crowd the
pot (don't use a large enough one with enough water), but you're
right. Turning the heat down a bit will take care of it. It's still
boiling, just not as furiously.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 11:50:13 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Why would anyone want to reduce the bubbling in boiling water? Turn down
>> the heat! In my experience, oil added to the water makes it difficult
>> for a
>> sauce to cling to the pasta.

> They're talking about the foaming that can happen when they crowd the
> pot (don't use a large enough one with enough water), but you're
> right. Turning the heat down a bit will take care of it. It's still
> boiling, just not as furiously.

I have the Rachel Ray oval pasta pot. Perfect for spaghetti but I use it
for other things too. Will use it tonight for soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:00:52 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:00:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Agreed.

>> Agreed to what? There is no such thing as saltless food... all food
>> contains some salt... and unless you're drinking distilled water
>> you're ingesting salt from your tap water, and most all beverges... I
>> don't think vodka contains salt but I could be wrong... I was always
>> under the impression that the water portion of booze is distilled
>> water... anyone know?
>>
>> Hmm, no sodium but does contain some trace nutrients... vodka is good
>> for me! LOL
>> http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...0-proof-i14051

>I know of some raw foodists who drink only distilled water. They eat only
>certain fruits and vegetables because they believe the others to be
>unhealthy. So for them, they certainly could be ingesting too little
>sodium. But hardly a common occurrence, I know.

If they ingested too little salt then over a little time they'd be
dead. I don't like to discuss "I know somebody who" posts, especially
about people who claim odd eating habits, I've never yet met anyone
claiming to be a vegetarian/vegan/etc. who practices what they preach.
It makes absolutely no sense to drink distilled water unless due to a
mental illness... aren't they ascared it will pick up impurities once
it passes their lips... don't tell them lest they have a break down
and need to be institutionalized.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 11:40*pm, HumBug! > wrote:
> Salt HAS NO FLAVOR, it simply enhances whatever flavor it touches.

So, you're saying that if you were to put a little salt on your
tongue, you wouldn't be able to taste it?

Sorry there's something wrong with your taste buds. Mine
work just fine.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy wrote on Thu, 3 Feb 2011 06:40:52 -0800 (PST):

> On Feb 1, 11:40 pm, HumBug! > wrote:
>> Salt HAS NO FLAVOR, it simply enhances whatever flavor it
>> touches.

> So, you're saying that if you were to put a little salt on
> your tongue, you wouldn't be able to taste it?

> Sorry there's something wrong with your taste buds. Mine
> work just fine.

Aren't we arguing semantics here? Flavor is a complex thing involving
taste sensors and odors but there are several types of sensors on the
tongue (is it supposed to be six these days?) one of which responds to
salt. Anyone who can't detect saltiness is in trouble.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland