Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default recommendation for meat grinder

I've pretty much decided I need a serious meat grinder.
I do have a manual grinder, but it is an Italian Jolly
brand made out of plastic. It's served me well for
what it is, but I need a real machine, powered by
electricity. I understand this is a subject for which
many have strong opinions. I'd like to hear them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 31, 3:21*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> I've pretty much decided I need a serious meat grinder.
> I do have a manual grinder, but it is an Italian Jolly
> brand made out of plastic. *It's served me well for
> what it is, but I need a real machine, powered by
> electricity. *I understand this is a subject for which
> many have strong opinions. *I'd like to hear them.

Do you have a Kitchen Aid Mixer? Unless you are planning on grinding
up a whole cow, the grinder attachment works very well for most people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" wrote

> I've pretty much decided I need a serious meat grinder.
> I do have a manual grinder, but it is an Italian Jolly
> brand made out of plastic. It's served me well for
> what it is, but I need a real machine, powered by
> electricity. I understand this is a subject for which
> many have strong opinions. I'd like to hear them.

1 x Tasin TS-108 Electric Meat Grinder (Tasin TS-108) = $150.00
(Onestop Jerkey Shop)

A quality model capably of grinding bones for rawfeeding dogs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-01-31, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> I've pretty much decided I need a serious meat grinder.
> I do have a manual grinder, but it is an Italian Jolly
> brand made out of plastic. It's served me well for
> what it is, but I need a real machine, powered by
> electricity. I understand this is a subject for which
> many have strong opinions. I'd like to hear them.

http://www.cabelas.com/grinders.shtml

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

>I've pretty much decided I need a serious meat grinder.

How serious? A couple pounds at a time-- or 'I just got 100 pounds
of venison that needs to be ground and frozen today?"

>I do have a manual grinder, but it is an Italian Jolly
>brand made out of plastic. It's served me well for
>what it is, but I need a real machine, powered by
>electricity. I understand this is a subject for which
>many have strong opinions. I'd like to hear them.

I've used a hand grinder for the rare occasions I've needed one, but I
just got a meat grinder for my kitchenaid mixer - mostly for the fruit
and veggie strainer.

I ground up 4 lbs of sirloin yesterday & now I think I'll be eating
better ground beef. It sure made quick work of it-- and it cleans up
like a breeze. The grinder plate and knife is hand wash only, but
the bulk of it goes in the dishwasher.

So-- If you *have* a kitchenaid mixer and don't need to grind 5 pounds
a minute- I would recommend the attachment.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2011-01-31, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>> I've pretty much decided I need a serious meat grinder. I do
>> have a manual grinder, but it is an Italian Jolly brand made
>> out of plastic. It's served me well for what it is, but I need
>> a real machine, powered by electricity. I understand this is a
>> subject for which many have strong opinions. I'd like to hear
>> them.

> http://www.cabelas.com/grinders.shtml
>
> nb

I have one of these. It will grind a whole beef brisket in just a
few minutes. It takes standard #10 or #12 plates, but the square
drive for the knife is a little too big -- it could be filed down to
take standard knives, but the knife that came with the unit is a
good one so it doesn't really matter. HTH :-)

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_36989_36989

-Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> On Jan 31, 3:21 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> > I've pretty much decided I need a serious meat grinder.
> > I do have a manual grinder, but it is an Italian Jolly
> > brand made out of plastic. It's served me well for
> > what it is, but I need a real machine, powered by
> > electricity. I understand this is a subject for which
> > many have strong opinions. I'd like to hear them.

> Do you have a Kitchen Aid Mixer? Unless you are planning on grinding
> up a whole cow, the grinder attachment works very well for most people.

No, I don't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> >I've pretty much decided I need a serious meat grinder.

> How serious? A couple pounds at a time-- or 'I just got 100 pounds
> of venison that needs to be ground and frozen today?"

Just a countertop model. Not more than 1500W.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Get the most powerful one you can afford.

I'm limited to about 1500W by the electricity here.
More than that risks blowing a fuse. I live in
an old house, in which electricity and plumbing
were added after the house was built. I've been
told it was originally a barn, which explains the
dirt floor downstairs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

>Omelet wrote:

>> Get the most powerful one you can afford.

>I'm limited to about 1500W by the electricity here.
>More than that risks blowing a fuse. I live in
>an old house, in which electricity and plumbing
>were added after the house was built. I've been
>told it was originally a barn, which explains the
>dirt floor downstairs.

You can always install a new service entrance, breaker
box, and several new circuits thus allowing you to run
several industrial-scale meat grinders simultaneously
so that you can grind hundreds of pounds of meat per
minute.

Or you could get the Kitchenaid attachment.

S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:50:45 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 31, 3:21 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>> > I've pretty much decided I need a serious meat grinder.
>> > I do have a manual grinder, but it is an Italian Jolly
>> > brand made out of plastic. It's served me well for
>> > what it is, but I need a real machine, powered by
>> > electricity. I understand this is a subject for which
>> > many have strong opinions. I'd like to hear them.

>> Do you have a Kitchen Aid Mixer? Unless you are planning on grinding
>> up a whole cow, the grinder attachment works very well for most people.

>No, I don't.

Even if you did, my recommendation would be for a separate grinder.
This way, if the mixer goes south or is replaced for any reason, you
do not lose all the attachment tools. Ask me how I know.....

boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:50:45 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >ImStillMags wrote:
> >>
> >> Do you have a Kitchen Aid Mixer? Unless you are planning on grinding
> >> up a whole cow, the grinder attachment works very well for most people.

> >No, I don't.

> Even if you did, my recommendation would be for a separate grinder.
> This way, if the mixer goes south or is replaced for any reason, you
> do not lose all the attachment tools. Ask me how I know.....

Ah, I see how the KithenAid people are locking people
into their system. Kind of like how Nikon and Canon
used to lock people into their film cameras.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Attachments for stand mixers [was; recommendation for meat grinder]

A couple of us recommended the Kitchenaid meat grinder attachment and
the OP said he didn't have a Kitchenaid.

Boron Elgar > wrote:
-snip-

>Even if you did, my recommendation would be for a separate grinder.
>This way, if the mixer goes south or is replaced for any reason, you
>do not lose all the attachment tools. Ask me how I know.....

Just curious- did you replace the mixer with a different brand, or
did the new one not take older style attachments?

If you changed brands- what did you come from and go to.

I like having one motor that does lots of things. So far I haven't
been disappointed in the kitchenaid attachments- as far as I can
tell they haven't changed in 30-40 years.

Jim
[and on that vein- anybody want some attachments for an old style
Cuisinart?]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 14:35:21 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>A couple of us recommended the Kitchenaid meat grinder attachment and
>the OP said he didn't have a Kitchenaid.
>
>Boron Elgar > wrote:
>-snip-
>>
>>Even if you did, my recommendation would be for a separate grinder.
>>This way, if the mixer goes south or is replaced for any reason, you
>>do not lose all the attachment tools. Ask me how I know.....

>Just curious- did you replace the mixer with a different brand, or
>did the new one not take older style attachments?
>
>If you changed brands- what did you come from and go to.

I am giving my son my Kenwood - a solid rock of a mixer that I have
had for almost 20 years. Still works perfectly. It is a mom's sincere
cooking gift to her kid. He gets the grain mill, the blender and a few
other accoutrements acquired over the past 2 decades. They all work,
too.

I am a bread baker and I do not use the Kenwood for doughs, generally,
as I usually make 9-10 lbs of whole grain bread...too much for a 5qt
mixer, even one of the strength of an old Kenwood. I use my Electrolux
for breads.

I still need an "everyday" mixer for cookies and cakes. I am biting my
tongue, crossing my fingers and getting a 6qt KA.

>I like having one motor that does lots of things. So far I haven't
>been disappointed in the kitchenaid attachments- as far as I can
>tell they haven't changed in 30-40 years.

That may be so, but there are a lot of good mixers out there these
days and if one is heavily invested in KA attachments, one might be
guided only to look at them

Again, My decision to go with KA this time is because I do not need a
real workhorse. This will be my "puff" mixer. Were I looking for
something to do serious bread making, I'd be looking more broadly.

>Jim
>[and on that vein- anybody want some attachments for an old style
>Cuisinart?]

Have a bunch myself, thanks.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-02-01, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> real workhorse. This will be my "puff" mixer. Were I looking for
> something to do serious bread making, I'd be looking more broadly.

The advantage to the Kenwoods is the number of attachments, or used to
be. There used to be over 23 attachements for the 3 diff speed pwr
takeoffs. Even a kibbe maker, whatever the heck that is. Not sure
what's available, anymore. I know more makers have entered the
orbital stand mixer field, including Viking, Hamilton Beach, and
Cuisinart. Kenwood is now owned by DeLonghi, which I've never been
impressed by. I don't know who is making the Metropolis-Robot looking
Wolfgang Puck mixer. I'll keep my Kenwood.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 15:36:03 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> I still need an "everyday" mixer for cookies and cakes. I am biting my
> tongue, crossing my fingers and getting a 6qt KA.

I'm just looking at the smallest one, what you do you think - tilt
head or lift bowl? I saw a comment where the person said she got a
lift bowl without thinking about it and was glad later because once
she got it she realized she didn't have enough clearance to
accommodate a tilt. It looks like the beater just slips on and off
the stem - no tightening, is it really that easy?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 2, 10:15*am, Andy > wrote:
> notbob > wrote:
> > Kenwood is now owned by DeLonghi, which I've never been
> > impressed by. *I don't know who is making the Metropolis-Robot looking
> > Wolfgang Puck mixer. *I'll keep my Kenwood.

> I had a Kenwood stereo receiver. Top notch.
> Where it was made? I dunno!

It was a Japanese product, sold under the name "Trio" elsewhere. I
don't think there is any connection with the English company.

My Kenwood Chef was bought by my parents in 1949 and has never needed
any sort of servicing. These days it's used mainly for bread dough
mixing.

More recently Kenwood have introduced a lighter "patisserie" machine
that looks a bit like a KA, but apparently it is not nearly as robust
as the older Kenwoods. "Consumer" magazine here rated it as inferior
to competing models.

LW
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 1, 1:17*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 15:36:03 -0500, Boron Elgar
>
> > wrote:
> > I still need an "everyday" mixer for cookies and cakes. I am biting my
> > tongue, crossing my fingers and getting a 6qt KA.

> I'm just looking at the smallest one, what you do you think - tilt
> head or lift bowl? *I saw a comment where the person said she got a
> lift bowl without thinking about it and was glad later because once
> she got it she realized she didn't have enough clearance to
> accommodate a tilt. *It looks like the beater just slips on and off
> the stem - no tightening, is it really that easy?
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Lift bowl, definitely. Trust me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote:

-snip-

>I am a bread baker and I do not use the Kenwood for doughs, generally,
>as I usually make 9-10 lbs of whole grain bread...too much for a 5qt
>mixer, even one of the strength of an old Kenwood. I use my Electrolux
>for breads.

Whew-- I never do more than about 3lbs.

>I still need an "everyday" mixer for cookies and cakes. I am biting my
>tongue, crossing my fingers and getting a 6qt KA.

I sure like mine. I don't know that much about cooking- but I know
machinery & it is a darn fine piece of machinery.

>>I like having one motor that does lots of things. So far I haven't
>>been disappointed in the kitchenaid attachments- as far as I can
>>tell they haven't changed in 30-40 years.

>That may be so, but there are a lot of good mixers out there these
>days and if one is heavily invested in KA attachments, one might be
>guided only to look at them

I'm hoping I'll be dead before the KA is. And I won't be tempted
to replace it by something new.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 15:36:03 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>> I still need an "everyday" mixer for cookies and cakes. I am biting my
>> tongue, crossing my fingers and getting a 6qt KA.

>I'm just looking at the smallest one, what you do you think - tilt
>head or lift bowl? I saw a comment where the person said she got a
>lift bowl without thinking about it and was glad later because once
>she got it she realized she didn't have enough clearance to
>accommodate a tilt.

I owned a tilt for 4 hours last spring. I picked it up, did a
batch of bread in it, and brought it back for the 6qt.

The 5qt tilt 'kind of' held my 7cups-of-flour bread mix-- but the
motor labored to knead it for 4 minutes. It was smelling like it
would burst into flames.

So I brought it back and got the 6qt bowl lift. It hurt. I'm a
cheap SOB & don't like to spend more than I have to for any tool. But
it was money well spent. The extra quart is nice-- but the motor on
the 5qt was 350watts, the 6qt is 575.

It doesn't strain to grind meat, churn ice cream or knead stiff dough.
I probably would have burned the smaller one up in a year or two--
this one should last me a decade or two.

If you're just going to use it for cookies and cakes the smaller one
should be fine- but if you are thinking of running attachments on it,
consider the bigger one.

>It looks like the beater just slips on and off
>the stem - no tightening, is it really that easy?

Yep-- That's a pretty neat coupling.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I have one of these. It will grind a whole beef brisket in just a
> few minutes. It takes standard #10 or #12 plates, but the square
> drive for the knife is a little too big -- it could be filed down to
> take standard knives, but the knife that came with the unit is a
> good one so it doesn't really matter. HTH :-)
>
> http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_36989_36989

Thanks. I'm leaning toward that one.
Only $99, with the current sale.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

> I've pretty much decided I need a serious meat grinder.

From what I gather, there is now only one 110V meat grinder/mincer on the
American market which is not produced in China/Laogai: the made-in-Japan
Panasonic MK-G20NR-W.

In the 220-240V category, there is a choice of producing countries. I
like the made-in-Germany Braun Power Plus 1300 (also labelled G1300K).
Some US distributors carry this and other such mincers, for example
<http://www.newkunst.com/cat.asp?mCat=Small%20Appliance&sCat=Meat%20Grinder >.
This is just an example, not a personal recommendation, as I do not know
anything about this particular retailer. Otherwise, these mincers may
have to be ordered from abroad.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Feb 2011 20:49:45 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-02-01, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> real workhorse. This will be my "puff" mixer. Were I looking for
>> something to do serious bread making, I'd be looking more broadly.

>The advantage to the Kenwoods is the number of attachments, or used to
>be. There used to be over 23 attachements for the 3 diff speed pwr
>takeoffs. Even a kibbe maker, whatever the heck that is. Not sure
>what's available, anymore. I know more makers have entered the
>orbital stand mixer field, including Viking, Hamilton Beach, and
>Cuisinart. Kenwood is now owned by DeLonghi, which I've never been
>impressed by. I don't know who is making the Metropolis-Robot looking
>Wolfgang Puck mixer. I'll keep my Kenwood.
>
>nb

My Kenwood has never so much as burped mechanically. And believe me,
that thing has gotten a workout over the years. I have one recipe for
Cocodrilo bread that requires it to run for 17 minutes at high speed.

To be honest - The head-raising lever was a cheap piece of plastic and
replaced quickly, and somehow over the past year I lost a rubber
footie, but it is exactly the height of a nickel and I always have
loose change.

Within a year after I bought mine, the line was taken over in the US
by Rival and then by DeLonghi, as you mention, and Rival was never so
hot, either. Customer service went all to hell, but since the thing is
a workhorse, I was fortunate in never having to experience it any
closer than other owners' online complaints with the re-branded
machines.

The current Cuisineart and Viking mixers look as if they are stolen
from the Kenwood design. I often wondered.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 13:17:24 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 15:36:03 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>> I still need an "everyday" mixer for cookies and cakes. I am biting my
>> tongue, crossing my fingers and getting a 6qt KA.

>I'm just looking at the smallest one, what you do you think - tilt
>head or lift bowl? I saw a comment where the person said she got a
>lift bowl without thinking about it and was glad later because once
>she got it she realized she didn't have enough clearance to
>accommodate a tilt. It looks like the beater just slips on and off
>the stem - no tightening, is it really that easy?

I have just taken it out of the box, but won't put it through its
paces until the weekend.

I got the lift bowl and it is a good 4.5" higher than the Kenwood.
Dunno where in hell I am going to keep it now.....

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 11:22:50 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:50:45 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>> wrote:

>> >No, I don't.

>> Even if you did, my recommendation would be for a separate grinder.
>> This way, if the mixer goes south or is replaced for any reason, you
>> do not lose all the attachment tools. Ask me how I know.....

>Ah, I see how the KithenAid people are locking people
>into their system. Kind of like how Nikon and Canon
>used to lock people into their film cameras.

Pentax and MInolta did it, too. I was a photography junkie in those
years and I stuck with Minoltas until I switched over to digital.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 17:31:50 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 15:36:03 -0500, Boron Elgar
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I still need an "everyday" mixer for cookies and cakes. I am biting my
> >> tongue, crossing my fingers and getting a 6qt KA.

> >I'm just looking at the smallest one, what you do you think - tilt
> >head or lift bowl? I saw a comment where the person said she got a
> >lift bowl without thinking about it and was glad later because once
> >she got it she realized she didn't have enough clearance to
> >accommodate a tilt.

> I owned a tilt for 4 hours last spring. I picked it up, did a
> batch of bread in it, and brought it back for the 6qt.
>
> The 5qt tilt 'kind of' held my 7cups-of-flour bread mix-- but the
> motor labored to knead it for 4 minutes. It was smelling like it
> would burst into flames.
>
> So I brought it back and got the 6qt bowl lift. It hurt. I'm a
> cheap SOB & don't like to spend more than I have to for any tool. But
> it was money well spent. The extra quart is nice-- but the motor on
> the 5qt was 350watts, the 6qt is 575.

Thanks for those observations! I hadn't thought about how
powerful/weak the motor is and I wasn't thinking of doing more dough
than I would ask my Cuisinart to do, but I can see where it would be
easy to let the amount creep up with all that bowl space to fill.

> It doesn't strain to grind meat, churn ice cream or knead stiff dough.
> I probably would have burned the smaller one up in a year or two--
> this one should last me a decade or two.
>
> If you're just going to use it for cookies and cakes the smaller one
> should be fine- but if you are thinking of running attachments on it,
> consider the bigger one.

I haven't even considered the attachments yet! How does a 6qt work
with just enough batter for an ordinary sized cake? Doesn't that
small of an amount sorta get lost way down in there?

> >It looks like the beater just slips on and off
> >the stem - no tightening, is it really that easy?

> Yep-- That's a pretty neat coupling.

Sounds easy enough, thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

-snip-
>I haven't even considered the attachments yet!

Mine came with a coupon for the ice cream maker. I wouldn't have
bought it otherwise--- but boy am I glad it did. It is small, which I
thought was a down side at first-- but I'd never get through my
favorite ice cream book if I was making big batches.

>How does a 6qt work
>with just enough batter for an ordinary sized cake? Doesn't that
>small of an amount sorta get lost way down in there?

When adjusted right it mixes from the bottom - so no matter how little
is in three, it gets it.

Mine- and several other folk's mixers, I found out- was slightly out
of adjustment from the factory. The manual recommends you put a
dime in the bowl and turn it on. The dime should get brushed on
every turn of the beater. Mine needed to be adjusted about 1/4".
I did it- but it is a warranty thing for the squeamish.

Now it will whip a single egg white to a stiff peak in short order. I
had looked at the beaters with little spatulas on them- but no need.
The stock beater seems to get everything mixed up.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 19:38:00 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> Now it will whip a single egg white to a stiff peak in short order. I
> had looked at the beaters with little spatulas on them- but no need.
> The stock beater seems to get everything mixed up.

Wow! I would have thought one egg white would be too little for such
a big bowl. Thanks! Where do you store your machine?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

?
"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote >
> When adjusted right it mixes from the bottom - so no matter how little
> is in three, it gets it.

Get a Beater Blade for about $20. Mixes better than the stock blade.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 23:35:55 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

> ?
> "Jim Elbrecht" > wrote >
> > When adjusted right it mixes from the bottom - so no matter how little
> > is in three, it gets it.
> >

> Get a Beater Blade for about $20. Mixes better than the stock blade.

Do both the stock paddle and the whisk come with the unit or is one of
them an extra charge?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 21:03:43 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 23:35:55 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
>wrote:
>
>> ?
>> "Jim Elbrecht" > wrote >
>> > When adjusted right it mixes from the bottom - so no matter how little
>> > is in three, it gets it.
>> >

>> Get a Beater Blade for about $20. Mixes better than the stock blade.

>Do both the stock paddle and the whisk come with the unit or is one of
>them an extra charge?

I think there might be different 'packages' - but mine came with the
beater, the dough hook, and the whisk. [and the plastic 'pouring
shield which I tried to use once- but gather dust with, now]

Bought it at Sears, BTW. It was $350 -the same price as Amazon.

You might find that what you mix needs one of the beater blades- but I
haven't felt a need for it since I adjusted my bowl height.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I don't get it. *You'll never loose a Kitchenaide, and nobody has ever
> reported that their grinder attachment has broken.

I bought a Kitchen Aid a couple months ago, and tried the meat grinder
a few times. It works well, I bought my own chuck roast and cut it
into small pieces and ground it, but you have to trim off a lot of
that stringy fat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 21:03:43 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 23:35:55 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
>wrote:
>
>> ?
>> "Jim Elbrecht" > wrote >
>> > When adjusted right it mixes from the bottom - so no matter how little
>> > is in three, it gets it.
>> >

>> Get a Beater Blade for about $20. Mixes better than the stock blade.

>Do both the stock paddle and the whisk come with the unit or is one of
>them an extra charge?

Whisk, dough hook and stock paddle were in the box.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 00:02:21 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 14:35:21 -0500, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> A couple of us recommended the Kitchenaid meat grinder attachment and
>> the OP said he didn't have a Kitchenaid.
>>
>> Boron Elgar > wrote:
>> -snip-
>>>
>>>Even if you did, my recommendation would be for a separate grinder.
>>>This way, if the mixer goes south or is replaced for any reason, you
>>>do not lose all the attachment tools. Ask me how I know.....\

>I don't get it. You'll never loose a Kitchenaide, and nobody has ever
>reported that their grinder attachment has broken.
>
>-sw

Among bread bakers, KAs of the last decade or so are notorious for
stripping their gears and/or burning out. If you then decide to buy a
mixer that can really handle bread dough, you'd then be stuck with a
KA-only grinder and nothing with which to power it.

Look, I have a nice, new KP26M1XPM-Professional-600-Series-6-Quart
sitting on my kitchen table right now. I am sure it'll give me years
of happy use, but I am not doing any serious bread baking with it.
It's cute and ideal for cakes and cookies, but THIS is for bread:

http://kodiakhealth.com/catalog/extra/DLXwhatYouGet.jpg

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-02-01, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> by Rival and then by DeLonghi, as you mention, and Rival was never so

Mine is a Rival. I got it jes as Rival dropped them and retailers
were clearing their shelves. I think Rival was jes a rebranding, as I
saw them sell for nother few years under the original Kenwood name,
with better models. They were even featured on a couple PBS cooking
shows. I never got around to more than a couple attachments. The
coffee grinder sucked, but I still have the spice grinder attachment.
Despite mine being the cheaper all plastic model, I've had not a bit
of trouble with it and it's still chugging along jes fine.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-02-01, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> Pentax and MInolta did it, too. I was a photography junkie in those
> years and I stuck with Minoltas until I switched over to digital.

How did they lock one in? I had Canon and could buy Vivitar lenses,
Fuji or Kodak film, 3rd party flashes, etc. There's more of an
attempted lock in with digital ...think proprietary RAW formats, dwnld
software, etc.... but still ways around it. I bypass Canon's horrible
dwnld issues by simply taking out the memory card and hooking it
directly to my linux computer with a card reader.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-02-02, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> Whisk, dough hook and stock paddle were in the box.

I think Ed is referring to those aftermkt blades with the rubber
wipers built in:

http://tinyurl.com/48upg6f

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

?
"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2011-02-01, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> Pentax and MInolta did it, too. I was a photography junkie in those
>> years and I stuck with Minoltas until I switched over to digital.

> How did they lock one in? I had Canon and could buy Vivitar lenses,
> Fuji or Kodak film, 3rd party flashes, etc.

No different than the auto industry. That GM water pump will not fit a
Ford, but there are plenty of third party units that will.

OTOH, they are not locking you into using their lenses, but your next camera
purchase. If you have a large collection of Brand X lenses, you probably
won't be quick to change to Brand Y

Posted to rec.food.cooking

?
"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 23:35:55 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>
>> ?
>> "Jim Elbrecht" > wrote >
>> > When adjusted right it mixes from the bottom - so no matter how little
>> > is in three, it gets it.
>> >

>> Get a Beater Blade for about $20. Mixes better than the stock blade.

> Do both the stock paddle and the whisk come with the unit or is one of
> them an extra charge?

Paddle, whisk and dough hook included