Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grand Canyon & Sedona

Been away for a few days;

Needles Ca - Jucy's a good travel stop for a burger - nice menu.

Williams Az - Found a little cafe - Pine Country Restaurant good salads
tasty soup & Fried chicken stayed away from the Grand Canyon Railroad
hotel overpriced buffet. Breakfast $ 10 dinner $20. Rooms Yuk. Williams
cute little town.

Drove into the south rim. Several places closed for the season or for
renovation.

Ate mostly at Bright Angel Lodge restaurant & El Tovar. Bright Angel good
food & lots of it. excellent service. Chili crusted salmon excellent.

El Tovar Dining room - a Class act

Breakfast
Steel cut oatmeal with dried fruit. The real thing!
Cinnamon Roll - WOW as big as a large plate - good for 4 to 6 people

Lunch
Good Grilled Ruben
Club sandwich on a home made Kaiser roll - Again too much to finish.

Dinner:

Roast Duck very good -
Fish of the day - Texas red fish ?? with stuffed crab legs - very tasty.
Martini ? Order a double for $1.00 more

The prices in the Grand Canyon were/are resort prices but they serve "hikers
portions" you ain't going to go hungry.

Sedona

Beautiful scenery - Crap food!

Oaxaca Mexican place - DON'T!

http://www.oaxacarestaurant.com/

Ordered a Chimichanga - got a wet burrito with a little sauce & cheese
melted in a salamander. Never fried and the ends were burnt. Ordered a XX
amber received regular XX!

Chicken enchiladas - marginal at best $50.00 down the tubes

Next evening:

Cowboy Club/Silver Saddle room Don't bother!

http://www.cowboyclub.com/

$22.00 for a few slices of (4 oz at best of over marinated) Buffalo flank
steak wilted spinach & mashed sweet potatoes.

Baby back ribs were overdone & steamed I think with a little sauce over
them - YUK!

Final night found a little grill with a decent baked Penne & a salad.

On the way back Denny's in Blythe CA - Decent apple/chicken/cranberry salad
& a tasty $6.00 burger.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:48:13 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>Been away for a few days;
>
>Needles Ca - Jucy's a good travel stop for a burger - nice menu.
>
>Williams Az - Found a little cafe - Pine Country Restaurant good salads
>tasty soup & Fried chicken stayed away from the Grand Canyon Railroad
>hotel overpriced buffet. Breakfast $ 10 dinner $20. Rooms Yuk. Williams
>cute little town.
>
>Drove into the south rim. Several places closed for the season or for
>renovation.
>
>Ate mostly at Bright Angel Lodge restaurant & El Tovar. Bright Angel good
>food & lots of it. excellent service. Chili crusted salmon excellent.
>
>El Tovar Dining room - a Class act
>

>Breakfast
>Steel cut oatmeal with dried fruit. The real thing!
>Cinnamon Roll - WOW as big as a large plate - good for 4 to 6 people
>
>Lunch
>Good Grilled Ruben
>Club sandwich on a home made Kaiser roll - Again too much to finish.
>
>Dinner:
>
>Roast Duck very good -
>Fish of the day - Texas red fish ?? with stuffed crab legs - very tasty.
>Martini ? Order a double for $1.00 more
>
>The prices in the Grand Canyon were/are resort prices but they serve "hikers
>portions" you ain't going to go hungry.
>

>Sedona
>
>Beautiful scenery - Crap food!
>
>Oaxaca Mexican place - DON'T!
>
>http://www.oaxacarestaurant.com/
>
>Ordered a Chimichanga - got a wet burrito with a little sauce & cheese
>melted in a salamander. Never fried and the ends were burnt. Ordered a XX
>amber received regular XX!
>
>Chicken enchiladas - marginal at best $50.00 down the tubes
>
>Next evening:
>
>Cowboy Club/Silver Saddle room Don't bother!
>
>http://www.cowboyclub.com/
>
>$22.00 for a few slices of (4 oz at best of over marinated) Buffalo flank
>steak wilted spinach & mashed sweet potatoes.
>
>Baby back ribs were overdone & steamed I think with a little sauce over
>them - YUK!
>
>Final night found a little grill with a decent baked Penne & a salad.
>
>On the way back Denny's in Blythe CA - Decent apple/chicken/cranberry salad
>& a tasty $6.00 burger.
>
>Dimitri

Consider yourself very lucky to have escaped food poisoning. I used
to do that kind of traveling with an ice chest, a small grill, and
made stupidmarket stops.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Been away for a few days;
>
> Needles Ca - Jucy's a good travel stop for a burger - nice menu.
>
> Williams Az - Found a little cafe - Pine Country Restaurant good salads
> tasty soup & Fried chicken stayed away from the Grand Canyon Railroad
> hotel overpriced buffet. Breakfast $ 10 dinner $20. Rooms Yuk. Williams
> cute little town.
>
> Drove into the south rim. Several places closed for the season or for
> renovation.
>
> Ate mostly at Bright Angel Lodge restaurant & El Tovar. Bright Angel good
> food & lots of it. excellent service. Chili crusted salmon excellent.
>
> El Tovar Dining room - a Class act
>

> Breakfast
> Steel cut oatmeal with dried fruit. The real thing!
> Cinnamon Roll - WOW as big as a large plate - good for 4 to 6 people
>
> Lunch
> Good Grilled Ruben
> Club sandwich on a home made Kaiser roll - Again too much to finish.
>
> Dinner:
>
> Roast Duck very good -
> Fish of the day - Texas red fish ?? with stuffed crab legs - very tasty.
> Martini ? Order a double for $1.00 more
>
> The prices in the Grand Canyon were/are resort prices but they serve "hikers
> portions" you ain't going to go hungry.
>

> Sedona
>
> Beautiful scenery - Crap food!
>
> Oaxaca Mexican place - DON'T!
>
> http://www.oaxacarestaurant.com/
>
> Ordered a Chimichanga - got a wet burrito with a little sauce & cheese
> melted in a salamander. Never fried and the ends were burnt. Ordered a XX
> amber received regular XX!
>
> Chicken enchiladas - marginal at best $50.00 down the tubes
>
> Next evening:
>
> Cowboy Club/Silver Saddle room Don't bother!
>
> http://www.cowboyclub.com/
>
> $22.00 for a few slices of (4 oz at best of over marinated) Buffalo flank
> steak wilted spinach & mashed sweet potatoes.
>
> Baby back ribs were overdone & steamed I think with a little sauce over
> them - YUK!
>
> Final night found a little grill with a decent baked Penne & a salad.
>
> On the way back Denny's in Blythe CA - Decent apple/chicken/cranberry salad
> & a tasty $6.00 burger.
>
> Dimitri

Thanks for your observations! I'm saving this post because we're going
to the Grand Canyon this year, probably in the Fall. Haven't looked
at a map yet, so I'm not sure how many places we'll be where you ate
this trip, but thanks for the report anyway. I've resigned myself to
putting up with sub-par food when I'm away from home. At least I'll
know what places to avoid this time if we go through the same towns.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/02/2011 3:48 AM, Dimitri wrote:
> Been away for a few days;
>
> Needles Ca - Jucy's a good travel stop for a burger - nice menu.
>
> Williams Az - Found a little cafe - Pine Country Restaurant good
> salads tasty soup & Fried chicken stayed away from the Grand Canyon
> Railroad hotel overpriced buffet. Breakfast $ 10 dinner $20. Rooms
> Yuk. Williams cute little town.
>
> Drove into the south rim. Several places closed for the season or for
> renovation.
>
> Ate mostly at Bright Angel Lodge restaurant & El Tovar. Bright Angel
> good food & lots of it. excellent service. Chili crusted salmon
> excellent.
>
> El Tovar Dining room - a Class act
>

> Breakfast
> Steel cut oatmeal with dried fruit. The real thing!
> Cinnamon Roll - WOW as big as a large plate - good for 4 to 6 people
>
> Lunch
> Good Grilled Ruben
> Club sandwich on a home made Kaiser roll - Again too much to finish.
>
> Dinner:
>
> Roast Duck very good -
> Fish of the day - Texas red fish ?? with stuffed crab legs - very tasty.
> Martini ? Order a double for $1.00 more
>
> The prices in the Grand Canyon were/are resort prices but they serve
> "hikers portions" you ain't going to go hungry.
>

> Sedona
>
> Beautiful scenery - Crap food!
>
> Oaxaca Mexican place - DON'T!
>
> http://www.oaxacarestaurant.com/
>
> Ordered a Chimichanga - got a wet burrito with a little sauce & cheese
> melted in a salamander. Never fried and the ends were burnt. Ordered
> a XX amber received regular XX!
>
> Chicken enchiladas - marginal at best $50.00 down the tubes
>
> Next evening:
>
> Cowboy Club/Silver Saddle room Don't bother!
>
> http://www.cowboyclub.com/
>
> $22.00 for a few slices of (4 oz at best of over marinated) Buffalo
> flank steak wilted spinach & mashed sweet potatoes.
>
> Baby back ribs were overdone & steamed I think with a little sauce
> over them - YUK!
>
> Final night found a little grill with a decent baked Penne & a salad.
>
> On the way back Denny's in Blythe CA - Decent apple/chicken/cranberry
> salad & a tasty $6.00 burger.
>
> Dimitri

Dimitri
You seem to have missed Seligman, Az and the Road Kill Cafe.!! (you kill
it, we grill it)
We liked the Pine Country in Williams also - especially the Pies.
They had the town's outdoor ice rink all lit up with Xmas lights and the
town's kids out having a ball.
Hoges in WA
(p.s. we went to Needles to see if we could see Snoopy's brother Spike
but no luck)