Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Might be a helpful link

I had a chat with Sears about dishwashers because I'm not sure what I
need, whether built-in, or whatever. They referred me to this link and
it covers a lot of stuff.

http://www.managemylife.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i am very interested in what you decide on and why, Lee
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
>I had a chat with Sears about dishwashers because I'm not sure what I need,
>whether built-in, or whatever. They referred me to this link and it covers
>a lot of stuff.
>
> http://www.managemylife.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lee, I'm very confused about how to pick out new appliances. Since I
bought this house I've replaced the washer and dryer, not to hard but
due to the widths the new ones had to swap locations from the old ones.
Also replaced a very old heat pump and hot water heater with no
issues. But the kitchen stuff I'm finding it hard to know how to
replace them and get what I need.

On 2/7/2011 9:46 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> i am very interested in what you decide on and why, Lee
> > wrote in message
>> I had a chat with Sears about dishwashers because I'm not sure what I need,
>> whether built-in, or whatever. They referred me to this link and it covers
>> a lot of stuff.
>>
>> http://www.managemylife.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> Lee, I'm very confused about how to pick out new appliances. Since I
> bought this house I've replaced the washer and dryer, not to hard but due
> to the widths the new ones had to swap locations from the old ones. Also
> replaced a very old heat pump and hot water heater with no issues. But
> the kitchen stuff I'm finding it hard to know how to replace them and get
> what I need.

When I got my fridge, I really had no choice because of the space I had. I
had to get an electric stove, I wanted self cleaning and it needed to be
biscuit color to match what I already had. When I got the dishwasher, I
just got an inexpensive one that was the right color and got good reviews.
I don't use the dishwasher much and don't need anything fancy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i totally understand, Lee
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> Lee, I'm very confused about how to pick out new appliances. Since I
> bought this house I've replaced the washer and dryer, not to hard but due
> to the widths the new ones had to swap locations from the old ones. Also
> replaced a very old heat pump and hot water heater with no issues. But
> the kitchen stuff I'm finding it hard to know how to replace them and get
> what I need.
>

> On 2/7/2011 9:46 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i am very interested in what you decide on and why, Lee
>> > wrote in message
>>> I had a chat with Sears about dishwashers because I'm not sure what I
>>> need,
>>> whether built-in, or whatever. They referred me to this link and it
>>> covers
>>> a lot of stuff.
>>>
>>> http://www.managemylife.com/

Member

Location: St. Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl[_3_] View Post
I had a chat with Sears about dishwashers because I'm not sure what I
need, whether built-in, or whatever. They referred me to this link and
it covers a lot of stuff.

Life Management: Everything just got easier - ManageMyLife.com
did you decide on a dishwasher?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/8/2011 12:17 AM, STLGourmet.com wrote:

> did you decide on a dishwasher?

I'm sort of looking at this one. The price shown isn't the discounted
price. I picked them because I get a discount through my employer.

<http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SPECPAGE&SKU=GLD6964RSS&SITEID= GEA&STOREID=cs0145&AVAILABILITY=true&FROMMAIL=true &CuurentIssue=EXT&BASEURL=https://www.myapstore.com>

or tinyurl

http://tinyurl.com/4uuamx8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> On 2/8/2011 12:17 AM, STLGourmet.com wrote:
>
>> did you decide on a dishwasher?

> I'm sort of looking at this one. The price shown isn't the discounted
> price. I picked them because I get a discount through my employer.
>
> <http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SPECPAGE&SKU=GLD6964RSS&SITEID= GEA&STOREID=cs0145&AVAILABILITY=true&FROMMAIL=true &CuurentIssue=EXT&BASEURL=https://www.myapstore.com>
>

> or tinyurl
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4uuamx8

See if you can look at the silverware holders. The one in my new
GE is loathesome.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 23:27:46 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Cheryl wrote:
>> On 2/8/2011 12:17 AM, STLGourmet.com wrote:
>>
>>> did you decide on a dishwasher?

>> I'm sort of looking at this one. The price shown isn't the discounted
>> price. I picked them because I get a discount through my employer.
>>
>> <http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SPECPAGE&SKU=GLD6964RSS&SITEID= GEA&STOREID=cs0145&AVAILABILITY=true&FROMMAIL=true &CuurentIssue=EXT&BASEURL=https://www.myapstore.com>
>>

>> or tinyurl
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/4uuamx8
>>

>See if you can look at the silverware holders. The one in my new
>GE is loathesome.

One can readily purchase after market flatware baskets for
dishwashers, typically better designed than the originals. However
I'm completely satisfied with my Maytag... whichever you choose be
sure to get a dishwasher with a stainless steel liner... plastic
liners stain, they absorb odors and schtink.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 23:27:46 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Cheryl wrote:

>>> I'm sort of looking at this one. The price shown isn't the discounted
>>> price. I picked them because I get a discount through my employer.
>>>
>>> <http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SPECPAGE&SKU=GLD6964RSS&SITEID= GEA&STOREID=cs0145&AVAILABILITY=true&FROMMAIL=true &CuurentIssue=EXT&BASEURL=https://www.myapstore.com>
>>>

>>> or tinyurl
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/4uuamx8
>>>

>> See if you can look at the silverware holders. The one in my new
>> GE is loathesome.

> One can readily purchase after market flatware baskets for
> dishwashers, typically better designed than the originals. However
> I'm completely satisfied with my Maytag... whichever you choose be
> sure to get a dishwasher with a stainless steel liner... plastic
> liners stain, they absorb odors and schtink.

Yes, the question is whether I can get one that fits in the
allotted area. I need to remind myself of whether that is
complete with prongs, which would complicate things. The GE and
the Bosch at the old house have SS interiors. The Bosch's
interior is noticeably less chintzy than the GE's. If I can get
over the abysmal repair situation, I may switch them.

The cutlery holder is kind-of like the center part of this:

http://midwestapplianceparts.com/images/8562080.jpg

with far fewer holes, more space between the holes, and no ability
to take off the top. IMO, it not only limits the number of things
one can wash, but it also is idiotic to have the things in slots,
with the spoons just hanging there, etc., etc.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

One can readily purchase after market flatware baskets for
dishwashers, typically better designed than the originals. However
I'm completely satisfied with my Maytag... whichever you choose be
sure to get a dishwasher with a stainless steel liner... plastic
liners stain, they absorb odors and schtink.

I think I agree with what you said. I had 2 maytags and liked them both but
because of information from a sale person I decided that Maytag was not as
good as it had been in the past, so I bought a Whirlpool. Maybe it is just
because I was more used to the Maytags but I don't think it is as good. The
plastic stuff on the inside, tabs, adjusters and such just seem
unsubstantial. It does have all sorts of setting and cleans really well if
you do the soak and scour setting, which takes 4 hours plus. But for just
normal settings, the Maytags were the best. The price is about the same
too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/8/2011 11:27 PM, Jean B. wrote:

> Cheryl wrote:

>> http://tinyurl.com/4uuamx8
>>

> See if you can look at the silverware holders. The one in my new GE is
> loathesome.

What was wrong with them? Thanks for the warning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/9/2011 12:19 PM, Jean B. wrote:

> The cutlery holder is kind-of like the center part of this:
>
> http://midwestapplianceparts.com/images/8562080.jpg
>
> with far fewer holes, more space between the holes, and no ability to
> take off the top. IMO, it not only limits the number of things one can
> wash, but it also is idiotic to have the things in slots, with the
> spoons just hanging there, etc., etc.

Ah, this answers the question I just asked you. I see what you mean. Whoa.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:24:51 -0600, "Phyllis Stone"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" wrote in message
.. .

>One can readily purchase after market flatware baskets for
>dishwashers, typically better designed than the originals. However
>I'm completely satisfied with my Maytag... whichever you choose be
>sure to get a dishwasher with a stainless steel liner... plastic
>liners stain, they absorb odors and schtink.
>

>I think I agree with what you said. I had 2 maytags and liked them both but
>because of information from a sale person I decided that Maytag was not as
>good as it had been in the past, so I bought a Whirlpool. Maybe it is just
>because I was more used to the Maytags but I don't think it is as good. The
>plastic stuff on the inside, tabs, adjusters and such just seem
>unsubstantial. It does have all sorts of setting and cleans really well if
>you do the soak and scour setting, which takes 4 hours plus. But for just
>normal settings, the Maytags were the best. The price is about the same
>too.

I don't really put my Maytag through it's paces; I use it about once a
week, it's rarely very full, no pots n' pans, I tend to do a lot of
hand washing. But for me it does what it's supposed to do, always
cleans spotlessly and everything dry when I open the door. It's
called a dishwasher, not a pot washer, and many of my pots are too
big to fit. I don't remember ever using the Pot Scrubber cycle. And
many times if the hot water is up at the sink becaue I'm washing stuff
anyway and I'm in the mood I will take things out of the dishwasher
and wash them by hand... did that this evening, hand washed all the
glassware and dinner plates, only took ten minutes and means I can go
another week before I have to run it. I know, I'm weird. I don't
mind doing any kind of house work, but I absolutely refuse to clean up
after slobs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 19:09:23 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 2/9/2011 12:19 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>>
>> The cutlery holder is kind-of like the center part of this:
>>
>> http://midwestapplianceparts.com/images/8562080.jpg
>>
>> with far fewer holes, more space between the holes, and no ability to
>> take off the top. IMO, it not only limits the number of things one can
>> wash, but it also is idiotic to have the things in slots, with the
>> spoons just hanging there, etc., etc.

>Ah, this answers the question I just asked you. I see what you mean. Whoa.

I see nothing wrong with it, that's how the flatware holder is
supposed be... each piece held separate and apart so they can be
cleaned and don't rub together. Maybe some of yoose should consider
plastic eating utensils, throw aways.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 2/8/2011 11:27 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>
> > Cheryl wrote:

>>> http://tinyurl.com/4uuamx8
>>>

>> See if you can look at the silverware holders. The one in my new GE is
>> loathesome.

> What was wrong with them? Thanks for the warning.

That is one thing I wanted with my dishwasher. I have a G.E. BTW. I wanted
the silverware holders on the bottom and not flat on the top like some are.
There is a slight problem with mine in that the top rack is close enough to
the bottom that I can not put my larger pieces in the silverware
compartment. Things like pancake turners, mixing spoons, etc. Not so much
a problem though because I can lay them across the top rack. I usually just
put them in the middle. The rack is such that they do not fall through.
With some of my other dishwashers, the rack was such that those things or
plasticware did fall through and melt on the bottom. Not good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 2/9/2011 12:19 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>>
>> The cutlery holder is kind-of like the center part of this:
>>
>> http://midwestapplianceparts.com/images/8562080.jpg
>>
>> with far fewer holes, more space between the holes, and no ability to
>> take off the top. IMO, it not only limits the number of things one can
>> wash, but it also is idiotic to have the things in slots, with the
>> spoons just hanging there, etc., etc.

> Ah, this answers the question I just asked you. I see what you mean.
> Whoa.

Now that's bad! Why would you even need the covers? I can see maybe if you
were washing baby bottle parts or little things like cake decorating tips.
But I usually don't even put those in the dishwasher.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> On 2/8/2011 11:27 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>
> > Cheryl wrote:

>>> http://tinyurl.com/4uuamx8
>>>

>> See if you can look at the silverware holders. The one in my new GE is
>> loathesome.

> What was wrong with them? Thanks for the warning.

They have slotted lids, and one is supposed to put the place
settings in each slot. The spoons kind-of hang there. There is
relatively little space to put anything in!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> On 2/9/2011 12:19 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>>
>> The cutlery holder is kind-of like the center part of this:
>>
>> http://midwestapplianceparts.com/images/8562080.jpg
>>
>> with far fewer holes, more space between the holes, and no ability to
>> take off the top. IMO, it not only limits the number of things one can
>> wash, but it also is idiotic to have the things in slots, with the
>> spoons just hanging there, etc., etc.

> Ah, this answers the question I just asked you. I see what you mean.
> Whoa.

It's much worse than in the picture. You can basically put ONE
thing into each of the slots. Later when I am at the other house,
I will look again to see if there is any way to take that horrid
top off. I think I looked before, but maybe I was too interested
in being careful. I have a couple of other pieces I took out of
the DW, and I'll look at those too.

Oh, I should add... This DW has been used perhaps THREE times.
There is a TINY scratch on the SS door, and it has a bit of rust
on it. I think the SS must be extremely thin and very poor
quality. I am seriously thinking of ripping the Bosch out of the
current house and putting the new GE into it. The Bosch's
interior looks BRAND NEW after many years of use. (Note: Bosch
DWs have their own issues--maybe fixed by now. And check out the
repair situation for any appliance before you commit yourself to it.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 19:09:23 -0500, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/9/2011 12:19 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>>> The cutlery holder is kind-of like the center part of this:
>>>
>>> http://midwestapplianceparts.com/images/8562080.jpg
>>>
>>> with far fewer holes, more space between the holes, and no ability to
>>> take off the top. IMO, it not only limits the number of things one can
>>> wash, but it also is idiotic to have the things in slots, with the
>>> spoons just hanging there, etc., etc.

>> Ah, this answers the question I just asked you. I see what you mean. Whoa.

> I see nothing wrong with it, that's how the flatware holder is
> supposed be... each piece held separate and apart so they can be
> cleaned and don't rub together. Maybe some of yoose should consider
> plastic eating utensils, throw aways.

As I said, the GE's flatware holder is worse than that. One can
put almost NO utensils in it, and many of them are suspended and
thus potentially don't get cleaned well.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> On 2/9/2011 12:19 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>>> The cutlery holder is kind-of like the center part of this:
>>>
>>> http://midwestapplianceparts.com/images/8562080.jpg
>>>
>>> with far fewer holes, more space between the holes, and no ability to
>>> take off the top. IMO, it not only limits the number of things one can
>>> wash, but it also is idiotic to have the things in slots, with the
>>> spoons just hanging there, etc., etc.

>> Ah, this answers the question I just asked you. I see what you mean.
>> Whoa.

> Now that's bad! Why would you even need the covers? I can see maybe if you
> were washing baby bottle parts or little things like cake decorating tips.
> But I usually don't even put those in the dishwasher.

I have never needed a cover. Also, I guess one just has to wash
the larger cooking utensils by hand.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2011 1:53 PM, Jean B. wrote:

> It's much worse than in the picture. You can basically put ONE thing
> into each of the slots. Later when I am at the other house, I will look
> again to see if there is any way to take that horrid top off. I think I
> looked before, but maybe I was too interested in being careful. I have
> a couple of other pieces I took out of the DW, and I'll look at those too.
>
> Oh, I should add... This DW has been used perhaps THREE times. There is
> a TINY scratch on the SS door, and it has a bit of rust on it. I think
> the SS must be extremely thin and very poor quality. I am seriously
> thinking of ripping the Bosch out of the current house and putting the
> new GE into it. The Bosch's interior looks BRAND NEW after many years
> of use. (Note: Bosch DWs have their own issues--maybe fixed by now.
> And check out the repair situation for any appliance before you commit
> yourself to it.)

I'm glad I was asked about the model I'm looking at. After your
comments, I looked up reviews of this model, and they're very mixed.

Whatever I decide on, I'll be sure to go look at one in person. Online
shopping isn't always good. At least not for the big things.