Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Focaccio--back to basics

The estimable Russ Parsons has an article in the L.A. Times that seeks
to return to the basics of simple and delicious focaccio. Popularity
leads to many variations, some of which stray too far. So he gives a
reminder of the original that deserves the popularity in the first
place. Links to some recipes. -aem
http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,5285427.story
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jan 27, 10:42 am, aem > wrote:
> The estimable Russ Parsons has an article in the L.A. Times that seeks
> to return to the basics of simple and delicious focaccio. Popularity
> leads to many variations, some of which stray too far. So he gives a
> reminder of the original that deserves the popularity in the first
> place. Links to some recipes. -aemhttp://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-calcook-focaccia-20110127,...

Yeah, I know I misspelled it. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/27/2011 1:42 PM, aem wrote:
> The estimable Russ Parsons has an article in the L.A. Times that seeks
> to return to the basics of simple and delicious focaccio. Popularity
> leads to many variations, some of which stray too far. So he gives a
> reminder of the original that deserves the popularity in the first
> place. Links to some recipes. -aem
> http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,5285427.story

sounds good! Thanks! need to make some soon.

--
Currently Reading: Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" schrieb :
> On Jan 27, 10:42 am, aem > wrote:
>> The estimable Russ Parsons has an article in the L.A. Times that seeks
>> to return to the basics of simple and delicious focaccio. Popularity
>> leads to many variations, some of which stray too far. So he gives a
>> reminder of the original that deserves the popularity in the first
>> place. Links to some
>> s. -aemhttp://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-calcook-focaccia-20110127,...

> Yeah, I know I misspelled it. -aem

That's original focaccia ?
Not in the real world (ie., outside the USA).
High water to flour rate ? <snort>
Rest overnight in the refrigerator ? <snort>
The only focaccia which resembles the thing in the article would be
the "Focaccia al formaggio" from Liguria.(200 g flour, 100 ml EVOO,
salt and cold water).
"Focaccia sarda" (from Sardinia) has a potato dough.

Focaccia could be translated as pancake.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:50:22 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> wrote:

>"aem" schrieb :
>> On Jan 27, 10:42 am, aem > wrote:
>>> The estimable Russ Parsons has an article in the L.A. Times that seeks
>>> to return to the basics of simple and delicious focaccio. Popularity
>>> leads to many variations, some of which stray too far. So he gives a
>>> reminder of the original that deserves the popularity in the first
>>> place. Links to some
>>> s. -aemhttp://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-calcook-focaccia-20110127,...

>> Yeah, I know I misspelled it. -aem

>That's original focaccia ?
>Not in the real world (ie., outside the USA).
>High water to flour rate ? <snort>
>Rest overnight in the refrigerator ? <snort>
>The only focaccia which resembles the thing in the article would be
>the "Focaccia al formaggio" from Liguria.(200 g flour, 100 ml EVOO,
>salt and cold water).
>"Focaccia sarda" (from Sardinia) has a potato dough.
>
>Focaccia could be translated as pancake.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Michael Kuettner

No need for you to snort, of course, as there are as many variations
of focaccia as there are little towns in Liguria that make their
version as do some other places in Italy.

In fact, you can even cross over into France and try some fougasse if
you want another variation.

The LAT article cited above mentions Carol Field's book. You'd do well
to read it.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
Currently Reading: Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:50:22 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> > wrote:

>>> Yeah, I know I misspelled it. -aem

>>That's original focaccia ?
>>Not in the real world (ie., outside the USA).
>>High water to flour rate ? <snort>
>>Rest overnight in the refrigerator ? <snort>
>>The only focaccia which resembles the thing in the article would be
>>the "Focaccia al formaggio" from Liguria.(200 g flour, 100 ml EVOO,
>>salt and cold water).
>>"Focaccia sarda" (from Sardinia) has a potato dough.
>>
>>Focaccia could be translated as pancake.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Michael Kuettner
>>

> No need for you to snort, of course, as there are as many variations
> of focaccia as there are little towns in Liguria that make their
> version as do some other places in Italy.

Some other places ? Nearly all other places.

> In fact, you can even cross over into France and try some fougasse if
> you want another variation.

Exactly. The word of focaccia is a very big place.

> The LAT article cited above mentions Carol Field's book. You'd do well
> to read it.

Whatever for ? When I want to go to Italy I drive 2 hours.
It would have been better if the author had read the book.
That "back to the basics" makes as much sense as
"Pie - back to the basics". What's a basic pie ?

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 20:27:26 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.. .
>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:50:22 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
>> > wrote:

>>>That's original focaccia ?
>>>Not in the real world (ie., outside the USA).
>>>High water to flour rate ? <snort>
>>>Rest overnight in the refrigerator ? <snort>
>>>The only focaccia which resembles the thing in the article would be
>>>the "Focaccia al formaggio" from Liguria.(200 g flour, 100 ml EVOO,
>>>salt and cold water).
>>>"Focaccia sarda" (from Sardinia) has a potato dough.
>>>
>>>Focaccia could be translated as pancake.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Michael Kuettner
>>>

>> No need for you to snort, of course, as there are as many variations
>> of focaccia as there are little towns in Liguria that make their
>> version as do some other places in Italy.
>>

>Some other places ? Nearly all other places.

Some don't...it is damn common, but not universal, at least insofar as
my own travels.

>> In fact, you can even cross over into France and try some fougasse if
>> you want another variation.
>>

>Exactly. The word of focaccia is a very big place.
>
>> The LAT article cited above mentions Carol Field's book. You'd do well
>> to read it.
>>

>Whatever for ? When I want to go to Italy I drive 2 hours.
>It would have been better if the author had read the book.
>That "back to the basics" makes as much sense as
>"Pie - back to the basics". What's a basic pie ?

Because it is an excellent bread book - very well written.. I have
lots of foods available nearby my home, but that doesn't mean I won't
read about them or seek out recipes.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 20:27:26 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Boron Elgar" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
>>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:50:22 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"

>>> No need for you to snort, of course, as there are as many variations
>>> of focaccia as there are little towns in Liguria that make their
>>> version as do some other places in Italy.
>>>

>>Some other places ? Nearly all other places.

> Some don't...it is damn common, but not universal, at least insofar as
> my own travels.
>>
>>> In fact, you can even cross over into France and try some fougasse if
>>> you want another variation.
>>>

>>Exactly. The word of focaccia is a very big place.
>>
>>> The LAT article cited above mentions Carol Field's book. You'd do well
>>> to read it.
>>>

>>Whatever for ? When I want to go to Italy I drive 2 hours.
>>It would have been better if the author had read the book.
>>That "back to the basics" makes as much sense as
>>"Pie - back to the basics". What's a basic pie ?

> Because it is an excellent bread book - very well written.. I have
> lots of foods available nearby my home, but that doesn't mean I won't
> read about them or seek out recipes.
>>

> Boron

I think also, that Carol Field's books on breadmaking are excellent. I have
a recipe for foccacia continuously in my head. Even though, I frequently
pick up her book to see exactly what to do. Foccacia is similar, I think, to
ciabatta. It's a high moisture dough you knead and rise less rather than
more.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 22:07:15 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>> Because it is an excellent bread book - very well written.. I have
>> lots of foods available nearby my home, but that doesn't mean I won't
>> read about them or seek out recipes.
>>>

>> Boron
>>

>I think also, that Carol Field's books on breadmaking are excellent. I have
>a recipe for foccacia continuously in my head. Even though, I frequently
>pick up her book to see exactly what to do. Foccacia is similar, I think, to
>ciabatta. It's a high moisture dough you knead and rise less rather than
>more.
>
>Kent

Have you tried her cocodrillo? A most excellent bread, although it
requires a decent mixer to pull off.

Boron