Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good eats - BBQ

"Alton uses brined pork, a flower pot, a trash can, hardwood smoke and a
lot of patience to make barbecue-like pulled pork".

Should be interesting. Setting the DVR. LOL

11:30 EST on FN.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 9:03*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> "Alton uses brined pork, a flower pot, a trash can, hardwood smoke and a
> lot of patience to make barbecue-like pulled pork".
>
> Should be interesting. *Setting the DVR. *LOL
>
> 11:30 EST on FN.

As long as he boils the ribs first all should be well!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I saw that episode a while back; he used a pair of large flower pots
to build a makeshift smoker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:03:09 -0500, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> "Alton uses brined pork, a flower pot, a trash can, hardwood smoke and a
>> lot of patience to make barbecue-like pulled pork".
>>
>> Should be interesting. Setting the DVR. LOL

> That show must be at least 5 years old.

Even older. Looks like 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sodes#Season_7

Brian
--
Day 719 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Current music playing: None.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2011 10:53 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:03:09 -0500, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> "Alton uses brined pork, a flower pot, a trash can, hardwood smoke and a
>> lot of patience to make barbecue-like pulled pork".
>>
>> Should be interesting. Setting the DVR. LOL

> That show must be at least 5 years old.

Just goes to show you how much I watch FoodNetwork.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/25/2011 3:59 PM, Default User wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:03:09 -0500, Cheryl wrote:
>>
>>> "Alton uses brined pork, a flower pot, a trash can, hardwood smoke and a
>>> lot of patience to make barbecue-like pulled pork".
>>>
>>> Should be interesting. Setting the DVR. LOL

>> That show must be at least 5 years old.

> Even older. Looks like 2003.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sodes#Season_7
>

> Brian

I'm surprised there aren't 15 people arguing about whether he had the
right to use the term "BBQ."

--
Currently Reading: Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/25/2011 6:54 AM, Michael O'Connor wrote:
> I saw that episode a while back; he used a pair of large flower pots
> to build a makeshift smoker.

I see that, and it's pretty neat. I'm just now watching. He used a
huge terracotta pot and the drain pan as a lid. Problem is that a
terracotta pot that large would probably cost the same as a smoker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

*Problem is that a
> terracotta pot that large would probably cost the same as a smoker.

Maybe close to the jprice of metal bullet smoker but not a ceramic
smoker, at least around here in WI.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 5:44*pm, ravenlynne > wrote:
> On 1/25/2011 3:59 PM, Default User wrote:

> I'm surprised there aren't 15 people arguing about whether he had the
> right to use the term "BBQ."

Oh Yeah. of little faith....give it 24 hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > wrote in message
> On 1/25/2011 3:59 PM, Default User wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> That show must be at least 5 years old.

>> Even older. Looks like 2003.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sodes#Season_7
>>

>> Brian

> I'm surprised there aren't 15 people arguing about whether he had the
> right to use the term "BBQ."

I don't think there was that much question with this one. He essentially
made an electric ceramic smoker.

Brian
--
Day 720 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Current music playing: None.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 11:08*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 1/25/2011 6:54 AM, Michael O'Connor wrote:
>
> > I saw that episode a while back; he used a pair of large flower pots
> > to build a makeshift smoker.

> I see that, and it's pretty neat. *I'm just now watching. *He used a
> huge terracotta pot and the drain pan as a lid. *Problem is that a
> terracotta pot that large would probably cost the same as a smoker.

I made that type smoker a couple of years ago after seeing the show.
total cost was about $80.00. It worked great, but I burnt out the
electric burner by the end of summer. I still have it, just need to
get a new electric burner. I mostly use the Masterbuilt electric
smoker I got as a gift now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> On 1/25/2011 6:54 AM, Michael O'Connor wrote:
> > I saw that episode a while back; he used a pair of large flower pots
> > to build a makeshift smoker.

> I see that, and it's pretty neat. I'm just now watching. He used a
> huge terracotta pot and the drain pan as a lid. Problem is that a
> terracotta pot that large would probably cost the same as a smoker.

If I recall, there was a Junkyard Wars knock off episode where he made a
cold smoker out of a row of lockers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
>>
>> On 1/25/2011 6:54 AM, Michael O'Connor wrote:
>>> I saw that episode a while back; he used a pair of large flower pots
>>> to build a makeshift smoker.

>> I see that, and it's pretty neat. I'm just now watching. He used a
>> huge terracotta pot and the drain pan as a lid. Problem is that a
>> terracotta pot that large would probably cost the same as a smoker.

> If I recall, there was a Junkyard Wars knock off episode where he made a
> cold smoker out of a row of lockers.

How about the salted smoked salmon from a cardboard box episode?
Where he also had a suit case of spices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> "Alton uses brined pork, a flower pot, a trash can, hardwood smoke and a
> lot of patience to make barbecue-like pulled pork".

On the one hand when I lived in California I would read Prop 65 labels
and not by ceramics containing lead. Who knows if a flower pot
contains lead and yet here's Alton Brown cooking with one.

On the other hand he's not using it as a cooking surface and not storing
food in it so any lead exposure is extremely minimal.

I don't know exactly where the trade off between these two extremes is
but I have gradually lost interest in his tendency to go to the hardware
store to by stuff to cook with. I like cooking gear for cooking and if
some tool is a uni-tasker then I either get over it and get the item or
not cook that recipe.

Sometimes cooking tools grow and grow. Sometimes I trim out any
uni-tasker item that I have not used in the last two years. It's a
cycle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-01-27, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> On the other hand he's not using it as a cooking surface and not storing
> food in it so any lead exposure is extremely minimal.

Yep. Good crystal is still made w/ lead.

nb

> I don't know exactly where the trade off between these two extremes is
> but I have gradually lost interest in his tendency to go to the hardware
> store to by stuff to cook with. I like cooking gear for cooking and if
> some tool is a uni-tasker then I either get over it and get the item or
> not cook that recipe.
>
> Sometimes cooking tools grow and grow. Sometimes I trim out any
> uni-tasker item that I have not used in the last two years. It's a
> cycle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> On the other hand he's not using it as a cooking surface and not storing
>> food in it so any lead exposure is extremely minimal.

> Yep. Good crystal is still made w/ lead.

I drink wine or whatever from crystal on rare occasions. I have some
but use my glass and plastic far more often. Heck, I use my drinking
horns more often than my entire set of crystal. It's fun having an ale
or mead from a drinking horn.

I do keep roses and other flowers in our nice crystal vases. I never
use the rose petals in cooking. Until now I never actually thought
through that in terms of lead exposure. I just never collected petals
at home for spice uses.

Lead leaching into the soil in a flower pot is not a problem for pot
grown tomatoes, is it? Not that I've ever heard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>>
>>> On the other hand he's not using it as a cooking surface and not storing
>>> food in it so any lead exposure is extremely minimal.

>> Yep. Good crystal is still made w/ lead.

> I drink wine or whatever from crystal on rare occasions. I have some
> but use my glass and plastic far more often. Heck, I use my drinking
> horns more often than my entire set of crystal. It's fun having an ale
> or mead from a drinking horn.
>
> I do keep roses and other flowers in our nice crystal vases. I never
> use the rose petals in cooking. Until now I never actually thought
> through that in terms of lead exposure. I just never collected petals
> at home for spice uses.
>
> Lead leaching into the soil in a flower pot is not a problem for pot
> grown tomatoes, is it? Not that I've ever heard.

Cool! I sometimes think about getting horn sups.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean wrote on Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:26:44 -0500:

> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>> notbob wrote:

>>> Yep. Good crystal is still made w/ lead.

>> I drink wine or whatever from crystal on rare occasions. I
>> have some but use my glass and plastic far more often. Heck, I use my
>> drinking horns more often than my entire set of
>> crystal. It's fun having an ale or mead from a drinking
>> horn.
>>
>> I do keep roses and other flowers in our nice crystal vases. I never
>> use the rose petals in cooking. Until now I never
>> actually thought through that in terms of lead exposure. I
>> just never collected petals at home for spice uses.
>>
>> Lead leaching into the soil in a flower pot is not a problem for pot
>> grown tomatoes, is it? Not that I've ever heard.

> Cool! I sometimes think about getting horn sups.

I can't say I've ever wanted to use a drinking horn but has yours a
stand or can you not put it down? The last sounds right for Vikings!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Jean wrote on Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:26:44 -0500:
>
>> Doug Freyburger wrote:

>>> I drink wine or whatever from crystal on rare occasions. I
>>> have some but use my glass and plastic far more often. Heck, I use my
>>> drinking horns more often than my entire set of
>>> crystal. It's fun having an ale or mead from a drinking
>>> horn.
>>>
>>> I do keep roses and other flowers in our nice crystal vases. I never
>>> use the rose petals in cooking. Until now I never
>>> actually thought through that in terms of lead exposure. I
>>> just never collected petals at home for spice uses.
>>>
>>> Lead leaching into the soil in a flower pot is not a problem for pot
>>> grown tomatoes, is it? Not that I've ever heard.

>> Cool! I sometimes think about getting horn sups.

> I can't say I've ever wanted to use a drinking horn but has yours a
> stand or can you not put it down? The last sounds right for Vikings!

Cups not sups. I really do have to start reading what I type.

Yes, I think a cup would be more stable. Maybe I'll get one the
next time I see one--at a decent price. Antique pewter, which I
rather like, has the same problem as lead crystal.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
>> I drink wine or whatever from crystal on rare occasions. I have some
>> but use my glass and plastic far more often. Heck, I use my drinking
>> horns more often than my entire set of crystal. It's fun having an ale
>> or mead from a drinking horn.

> Cool! I sometimes think about getting horn sups.

I had some email discussion about horns recently. Here are parts abut
sources ...

For hobby tools for leather working that will also work for horn working -
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/ They also have a limited selection of
cow horns which are the standard for drinking, sounding, powder horns and
great for all occasions. My original drinking horn that is still my standard is
from when they still had a few walk up stores open. They've long since
switched all of their walk up stores to Radio Shack. They have probably
been separate companies for years.

For the horns themselves - http://www.hideandfur.com/ They even have bison
and goat horns, all sorts of antlers, all sorts of fur and bones and such. It
is extremely cool to make a horn holder out of antler.

Any local hobby/craft store will have the tools you want. I have a Dremel that
I used to whittle the wooden stand that I've used for many years now with my
original drinking horn. A board about the same size as the horn. Open and
taper an oval hole in the center. Slant one side of the bottom edge to
establish a front and back to the board. Round all other edges. Etch
in pre-runic symbols, runes, whatever. On mine I even have "alu mead
kafi beer" in runes on the front as a sort of menu and the whole elder
futhark on the back as a reference tool. Put the horn in the hole. If
you slanted the bottom edge and sized the hole correctly they will
lock together to make an X shape from the side. Pour in that ale. Well
received every time I have ever taken it to a pub.

This week I'm curing new drinking horn. The main task is to draw out the
nasty bits that a Dremel could not reach. Some coat their horns some don't -
I don't so I can have coffee in mine. Some scrimshaw their horns some don't -
I etched my wooden stand instead.

Somewhere I still have a water buffalo horn that I never did finishing cleaning
out the nasty bits. A few years of drying in storage should make that easier
now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-01-27, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> For hobby tools for leather working that will also work for horn working -
> http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

I wuz jes thinking about belt blanks and making a replacement knife
sheath. Didn't know these guys were still in business. All my
leather crafting tools are long gone, but would like to lace up that
sheath like I did my wallet in Boy Scouts. Thnx for the link.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>>
>>> I drink wine or whatever from crystal on rare occasions. I have some
>>> but use my glass and plastic far more often. Heck, I use my drinking
>>> horns more often than my entire set of crystal. It's fun having an ale
>>> or mead from a drinking horn.

>> Cool! I sometimes think about getting horn sups.

> I had some email discussion about horns recently. Here are parts abut
> sources ...
>
> For hobby tools for leather working that will also work for horn working -
> http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/ They also have a limited selection of
> cow horns which are the standard for drinking, sounding, powder horns and
> great for all occasions. My original drinking horn that is still my standard is
> from when they still had a few walk up stores open. They've long since
> switched all of their walk up stores to Radio Shack. They have probably
> been separate companies for years.
>
> For the horns themselves - http://www.hideandfur.com/ They even have bison
> and goat horns, all sorts of antlers, all sorts of fur and bones and such. It
> is extremely cool to make a horn holder out of antler.
>
> Any local hobby/craft store will have the tools you want. I have a Dremel that
> I used to whittle the wooden stand that I've used for many years now with my
> original drinking horn. A board about the same size as the horn. Open and
> taper an oval hole in the center. Slant one side of the bottom edge to
> establish a front and back to the board. Round all other edges. Etch
> in pre-runic symbols, runes, whatever. On mine I even have "alu mead
> kafi beer" in runes on the front as a sort of menu and the whole elder
> futhark on the back as a reference tool. Put the horn in the hole. If
> you slanted the bottom edge and sized the hole correctly they will
> lock together to make an X shape from the side. Pour in that ale. Well
> received every time I have ever taken it to a pub.
>
> This week I'm curing new drinking horn. The main task is to draw out the
> nasty bits that a Dremel could not reach. Some coat their horns some don't -
> I don't so I can have coffee in mine. Some scrimshaw their horns some don't -
> I etched my wooden stand instead.
>
> Somewhere I still have a water buffalo horn that I never did finishing cleaning
> out the nasty bits. A few years of drying in storage should make that easier
> now.

Ah. You make your own. Kudos to you. I'd have to buy a cup. At
least those nasty bits shouldn't be an issue.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Jean wrote on Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:26:44 -0500:
>
>> Cool! I sometimes think about getting horn cups.

(Spelling corrected per another post).

Before plastics were created horn was used as a plastic material. it
was boiled, cut and formed. It smells really bad when pulled out of
boiling water but the melted plastic used in molding smells worse.

Antique combs, cups, eyeglass frames, you name it were made from horn
before the advent of plastics.

I think I boiled horn material once to prove to myself I knew how to do
that. I treat a lot of crafts like that - Do it once then lose
interest. I think I made a letter opener then gave it as a gift then
lost interest in that craft as a hobby.

> I can't say I've ever wanted to use a drinking horn but has yours a
> stand or can you not put it down? The last sounds right for Vikings!

I described my stand in another post. I cut a hole in a board so the
horn passes through and locks in place. Some friends who have more
interest in metal working than I have make bronze, pewter, silver or
cast iron stands. The ones that disconnect from the horn for drinking
all use the same pressure-fit method of locking together to form a stand
when they are together.

I make my own ale and mead home brew. It's a hobby that I keep doing.
I have a bunch of horns for drinking and decor. It's also a hobby that
I keep doing. Both on a small scale but I like them.

Ale seems to taste better when I made it myself and drink it in my own
horn. More traditional. Something to distract me from my high high day
job. Like cooking as a hobby only more so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:31:20 -0600, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Cheryl wrote:
>>
>> On 1/25/2011 6:54 AM, Michael O'Connor wrote:
>> > I saw that episode a while back; he used a pair of large flower pots
>> > to build a makeshift smoker.

>> I see that, and it's pretty neat. I'm just now watching. He used a
>> huge terracotta pot and the drain pan as a lid. Problem is that a
>> terracotta pot that large would probably cost the same as a smoker.

>If I recall, there was a Junkyard Wars knock off episode where he made a
>cold smoker out of a row of lockers.

Dang I miss Junkyard Wars.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com
Updated 1/08/11

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> Jean B. wrote:
> > Doug Freyburger wrote:
> >
> >> I drink wine or whatever from crystal on rare occasions. I have some
> >> but use my glass and plastic far more often. Heck, I use my drinking
> >> horns more often than my entire set of crystal. It's fun having an ale
> >> or mead from a drinking horn.

> > Cool! I sometimes think about getting horn sups.

> I had some email discussion about horns recently. Here are parts abut
> sources ...
>
> For hobby tools for leather working that will also work for horn working -

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/ They also have a limited selection of
> cow horns which are the standard for drinking, sounding, powder horns and
> great for all occasions. My original drinking horn that is still my standard is
> from when they still had a few walk up stores open. They've long since
> switched all of their walk up stores to Radio Shack. They have probably
> been separate companies for years.

They split in 1980 and Radio Shack quit using the Tandy name in 2000.

However the leather stores are not gone--there's on in East Hartford.

There aren't a lot of them around but the Tandy Leather Company site
that you linked above has a locator.

> For the horns themselves - http://www.hideandfur.com/ They even have bison
> and goat horns, all sorts of antlers, all sorts of fur and bones and such. It
> is extremely cool to make a horn holder out of antler.
>
> Any local hobby/craft store will have the tools you want. I have a Dremel that
> I used to whittle the wooden stand that I've used for many years now with my
> original drinking horn. A board about the same size as the horn. Open and
> taper an oval hole in the center. Slant one side of the bottom edge to
> establish a front and back to the board. Round all other edges. Etch
> in pre-runic symbols, runes, whatever. On mine I even have "alu mead
> kafi beer" in runes on the front as a sort of menu and the whole elder
> futhark on the back as a reference tool. Put the horn in the hole. If
> you slanted the bottom edge and sized the hole correctly they will
> lock together to make an X shape from the side. Pour in that ale. Well
> received every time I have ever taken it to a pub.
>
> This week I'm curing new drinking horn. The main task is to draw out the
> nasty bits that a Dremel could not reach. Some coat their horns some don't -
> I don't so I can have coffee in mine. Some scrimshaw their horns some don't -
> I etched my wooden stand instead.
>
> Somewhere I still have a water buffalo horn that I never did finishing cleaning
> out the nasty bits. A few years of drying in storage should make that easier
> now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Somewhere I still have a water buffalo horn that I never did finishing cleaning
> out the nasty bits. A few years of drying in storage should make that easier
> now.

Found the old water buffalo horn yesterday. Clean out that storage shed
and reorganize the stuff. Keep, donate, trash.

Good Eats Brooklyn1 General Cooking 7 02-11-2015 05:50 PM
REQ for Good Eats help Bob O'Dyne Historic 1 21-12-2014 05:16 AM
REQ for Good Eats help Bob O'Dyne General Cooking 0 03-01-2014 12:09 PM
Good eats George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 4 12-09-2010 10:16 PM
Good Eats Scott Preserving 2 22-11-2003 03:59 PM