Old 25-01-2011, 03:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good eats - BBQ

"Alton uses brined pork, a flower pot, a trash can, hardwood smoke and a
lot of patience to make barbecue-like pulled pork".

Should be interesting. Setting the DVR. LOL

11:30 EST on FN.

Old 25-01-2011, 04:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 9:03*pm, Cheryl wrote:
"Alton uses brined pork, a flower pot, a trash can, hardwood smoke and a
lot of patience to make barbecue-like pulled pork".

Should be interesting. *Setting the DVR. *LOL

11:30 EST on FN.

As long as he boils the ribs first all should be well!
Old 25-01-2011, 11:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I saw that episode a while back; he used a pair of large flower pots
to build a makeshift smoker.
Old 25-01-2011, 08:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:03:09 -0500, Cheryl wrote:

"Alton uses brined pork, a flower pot, a trash can, hardwood smoke and a
lot of patience to make barbecue-like pulled pork".

Should be interesting. Setting the DVR. LOL

That show must be at least 5 years old.

Even older. Looks like 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sodes#Season_7

Brian
--
Day 719 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Current music playing: None.

Old 25-01-2011, 11:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2011 10:53 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:03:09 -0500, Cheryl wrote:

"Alton uses brined pork, a flower pot, a trash can, hardwood smoke and a
lot of patience to make barbecue-like pulled pork".

Should be interesting. Setting the DVR. LOL

That show must be at least 5 years old.

Just goes to show you how much I watch FoodNetwork.

Old 26-01-2011, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/25/2011 3:59 PM, Default User wrote:
wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:03:09 -0500, Cheryl wrote:

"Alton uses brined pork, a flower pot, a trash can, hardwood smoke and a
lot of patience to make barbecue-like pulled pork".

Should be interesting. Setting the DVR. LOL

That show must be at least 5 years old.

Even older. Looks like 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sodes#Season_7

Brian

I'm surprised there aren't 15 people arguing about whether he had the
right to use the term "BBQ."

--
Currently Reading: Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold
Old 26-01-2011, 04:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/25/2011 6:54 AM, Michael O'Connor wrote:
I saw that episode a while back; he used a pair of large flower pots
to build a makeshift smoker.

I see that, and it's pretty neat. I'm just now watching. He used a
huge terracotta pot and the drain pan as a lid. Problem is that a
terracotta pot that large would probably cost the same as a smoker.

Old 26-01-2011, 12:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

*Problem is that a
terracotta pot that large would probably cost the same as a smoker.

Maybe close to the jprice of metal bullet smoker but not a ceramic
smoker, at least around here in WI.
Old 26-01-2011, 12:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 5:44*pm, ravenlynne wrote:
On 1/25/2011 3:59 PM, Default User wrote:

I'm surprised there aren't 15 people arguing about whether he had the
right to use the term "BBQ."

Oh Yeah. of little faith....give it 24 hours.

Old 26-01-2011, 08:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:03:09 -0500, Cheryl wrote:

"Alton uses brined pork, a flower pot, a trash can, hardwood smoke and
lot of patience to make barbecue-like pulled pork".

Should be interesting. Setting the DVR. LOL

That show must be at least 5 years old.

Even older. Looks like 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sodes#Season_7

Brian

I'm surprised there aren't 15 people arguing about whether he had the
right to use the term "BBQ."

I don't think there was that much question with this one. He essentially
made an electric ceramic smoker.

Brian
--
Day 720 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Current music playing: None.

Old 26-01-2011, 08:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 11:08*pm, Cheryl wrote:
On 1/25/2011 6:54 AM, Michael O'Connor wrote:

I saw that episode a while back; he used a pair of large flower pots
to build a makeshift smoker.

I see that, and it's pretty neat. *I'm just now watching. *He used a
huge terracotta pot and the drain pan as a lid. *Problem is that a
terracotta pot that large would probably cost the same as a smoker.

I made that type smoker a couple of years ago after seeing the show.
total cost was about $80.00. It worked great, but I burnt out the
electric burner by the end of summer. I still have it, just need to
get a new electric burner. I mostly use the Masterbuilt electric
smoker I got as a gift now.
Old 27-01-2011, 01:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

On 1/25/2011 6:54 AM, Michael O'Connor wrote:
I saw that episode a while back; he used a pair of large flower pots
to build a makeshift smoker.

I see that, and it's pretty neat. I'm just now watching. He used a
huge terracotta pot and the drain pan as a lid. Problem is that a
terracotta pot that large would probably cost the same as a smoker.

If I recall, there was a Junkyard Wars knock off episode where he made a
cold smoker out of a row of lockers.
Old 27-01-2011, 02:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:
Cheryl wrote:

On 1/25/2011 6:54 AM, Michael O'Connor wrote:
I saw that episode a while back; he used a pair of large flower pots
to build a makeshift smoker.

I see that, and it's pretty neat. I'm just now watching. He used a
huge terracotta pot and the drain pan as a lid. Problem is that a
terracotta pot that large would probably cost the same as a smoker.

If I recall, there was a Junkyard Wars knock off episode where he made a
cold smoker out of a row of lockers.

How about the salted smoked salmon from a cardboard box episode?
Where he also had a suit case of spices.

Old 27-01-2011, 04:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

"Alton uses brined pork, a flower pot, a trash can, hardwood smoke and a
lot of patience to make barbecue-like pulled pork".

On the one hand when I lived in California I would read Prop 65 labels
and not by ceramics containing lead. Who knows if a flower pot
contains lead and yet here's Alton Brown cooking with one.

On the other hand he's not using it as a cooking surface and not storing
food in it so any lead exposure is extremely minimal.

I don't know exactly where the trade off between these two extremes is
but I have gradually lost interest in his tendency to go to the hardware
store to by stuff to cook with. I like cooking gear for cooking and if
some tool is a uni-tasker then I either get over it and get the item or
not cook that recipe.

Sometimes cooking tools grow and grow. Sometimes I trim out any
uni-tasker item that I have not used in the last two years. It's a
cycle.
Old 27-01-2011, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-01-27, Doug Freyburger wrote:

On the other hand he's not using it as a cooking surface and not storing
food in it so any lead exposure is extremely minimal.

Yep. Good crystal is still made w/ lead.

nb

Good Eats Brooklyn1 General Cooking 7 02-11-2015 04:50 PM
REQ for Good Eats help Bob O'Dyne Historic 1 21-12-2014 04:16 AM
REQ for Good Eats help Bob O'Dyne General Cooking 0 03-01-2014 11:09 AM
Good eats George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 4 12-09-2010 10:16 PM
Good Eats Scott Preserving 2 22-11-2003 02:59 PM